• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chilean students' debts go up in smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

moai

IMO there's nothing wrong with profit seeking schools or universities.

not right now in chile. actual government is a coalition of left parties (including communists) and profit in education is being demonized.
but this was a crappy college so it deserves that this has happened.

IMO there's nothing wrong with profit seeking schools or universities. The actual problem here is the lack of cheaper alternatives (I assume there is a lack of cheaper alternatives?)

It IS wrong here in Chile because it's actually illegal. These universities are sucking money through real estate companies because they can't do it directly. Until some years ago everybody thought this twist was legal and most people did a blindsight to this issue. But after all the social movements here in Chile It was defined its still illegal.

It IS wrong here in Chile because it's actually illegal. These universities are sucking money through real estate companies because they can't do it directly. Until some years ago everybody thought this twist was legal and most people did a blindsight to this issue. But after all the social movements here in Chile It was defined its still illegal.

Aah, I didn't realise that. That seems like a silly thing to make illegal.

Enzom21

I like how they tried to confiscate the ash.

tumblr_lv8n6fKKJ11qe5z8a.gif

Note to self, when I start a for-profit college here in the US, don't let myself get so distracted by all the poor saps I'm swindling that I forget to make a few digital backups of the money I'm owed.

Chumly

How can that university collect on debts if they were shut down as a sham. Seems ridiculous to make students pay.

Awesome. Those greedy fucks couldn't be bothered to pay someone $5/hr to make electronic copies? Good!

Dunno how it works in Chile, but down here if you presented an electronic copy, the other side could simply argue that the copy is not the original document and ask you to produce the original. If you can't, too bad, so sad. The onus is on the creditor to keep the originals.

"Oh but it is not my fault that they were destroyed, some guy burned them."
Great, then you can sue the guy that burned them. Not the student.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom