• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Christie: legalizing pot will likely be "priority No. 1" if a Dem wins NJ Gov.

Iorv3th

Christie is a turd. I graduated highschool 13 years ago and I had easy access to illegal marijuana.

Making it legal isn't going to poison kids that were already trying it. But it might make them not get pressured into buying harder stuff from a pusher.

Christie is reason #1 NJ is a blue state.

That's how bad he sucks.

I'll never forget him ripping people after Hurricane Sandy when they were asking for help and made a joke about grabbing a mop to help clean up a floor.

Cagey

Banned
Wasn't there a study that opiate use actually went down in states that legalized marijuana?

I actually know this dude. He would sometimes sit outside of city hall just waiting to ambush Christie and crew about legalizing pot and writes a ton of articles in the local papers under his smokey nom de plume. He even opened a restaurant in Trenton but I believe the city has been giving him a hard time, surprise surprise.

Yep, that's him. He's been doing his thing for over a decade.

Iksenpets

Banned
This... seems a poor strategy. These days it feels like if your goal is marijuana restriction, your best bet is to keep your head down and hope to win on other issues. If you choose to make weed the key issue in the election, you're going to lose.

NJ legalized medicinal right before Christie took office, and he spent his whole term blocking and limiting the implementation of the law. Dude is not the best advocate for personal health habits.

Hale-XF11

That's why NJWeedman.com is the guy atop the ballot this November.

This dude is awesome. His court case is one of the first major cases in the US that I know of where someone got off of a huge weed conviction through jury nullification. I only wish this were a more common practice across the entire country, in every state.

The US obsession with marijuana has always been so strange to me. Who gives a shit, if people want to use it, let them.

Marijuana is the center-piece of the war on drug. Its an integral part of a policy that design to look up minorities. Its one the main reasons why the US has my far the largest prison population in the world.
And because most prisons in the US are private a huge industry developed that partially fueled by the large number of people who do time for nonviolent drug offenses.

And then there is the pharmaceutical industry which provides tons of expensive synthetic drugs for all kinds of problems, and they are scared that a cheap, safe drug like Cannabis would kill their business.
The pour millions into lobbying to keep weed criminalized.

I'm gonna need some receipts on the kids dying every day from pot use claim.

People who smoke pot are probably healthier than Chris Christie.

"LOOK - SMOKING POT IS BAD FOR YOUR HEALTH! IT'S GOING TO KILL OUR KIDS!!!"

gty_chris_christie_ll_130225_wblog.jpg

There's a higher chance of Chris Christie killing a kid by accidentally falling over onto one than through smoking pot.

Hale-XF11

Marijuana is the center-piece of the war on drug. Its an integral part of a policy that design to look up minorities. Its one the main reasons why the US has my far the largest prison population in the world.
And because most prisons in the US are private a huge industry developed that partially fueled by the large number of people who do time for nonviolent drug offenses.

And then there is the pharmaceutical industry which provides tons of expensive synthetic drugs for all kinds of problems, and they are scared that a cheap, safe drug like Cannabis would kill their business.

I'd like to add that police unions pour a ton of money into lobbying against weed as well. The police, in full uniform, hold conferences for their union counterparts every time a new legalization bill is introduced somewhere in the US.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
So a state in between two large cities which have not legalized pot potentially attracting large amounts of potential tourist revenue? Of course it's bad for NJ according to Christie.

Rsinart

First time I tried smoking weed I was 12-13. Never thought about moving onto harder drugs at all. War on weed needs to end, the positive benefits of that plant out weigh any negatives imo.

Zabka

This isn't true.

According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, for-profit companies were responsible for approximately 7 percent of state prisoners and 18 percent of federal prisoners in 2015 (the most recent numbers currently available).

*psssssssssss* they never give a shit about the drugs, they want more people to arrest and fill up prisons with

Yup. Also, Christie himself used to be a lobbyist for the CEC.

"Community Education Centers was a private for-profit prison company based in West Caldwell, New Jersey and active in seventeen American states and in Bermuda."

CEC itself was bought up by the GEO Group, one of the largest for-profit prison corps in the country.

jay

That's it, I am going to go outside right now to march for all of the children who died smoking pot.

That's why NJWeedman.com is the guy atop the ballot this November.

The Weedman's map needs to be updated for the results of Nov 2016.

I'm gonna need some receipts on the kids dying every day from pot use claim.

It's just the way he's saying it that's the problem.
The right way to say it is to make two sentences, full stop.

"Kids are dying every day."
[full stop]
"Kids are smoking marijuana every day."
[full stop]

PERFECT, irrefutable argument.

You show me a single person who has OD'd on weed, and I'll march right beside you, Chris. Just one.

There have been no recorded deaths due to an overdose of CBD or THC. The LD50 of THC is something like 1200mg/kg. AKA, an almost impossible number to reach. In terms of smoking it, that's like... 500 full-packed bowls in one sitting.

Poppy

its so weird how people dont see the sea change coming and cant wrap their heads around the notion of change

like weed is gonna be legal, just is inevitable. ive lived in oregon since it was legalized and other than some lines for the first couple months, i havent personally seen anything to imply that life has changed at all for basically anybody. certainly not for the negative at least.

i guess maybe its just that republicans do in fact understand that it is a non issue, but they have to play to their base full of hateful weirdos who wont abide any sort of moral deviation from their closed minded idea of the world. though, that is maybe a bit charitable. it is entirely possible that the politicians are morons too after all

Josh7289

"People like Nick Scutari and Steve Sweeney and Phil Murphy want to bring this poison, legalized, into this state under the premise that, well, it doesn't matter because people can buy it illegally anyway," Christie said. "Then why not legalize heroin? I mean, their argument fails just on that basis. Let's legalize cocaine. Let's legalize angel dust. Let's legalize all of it. What's the difference? Let everybody choose."

Yes, actually do that, and then treat addiction as the health and poverty issue it is rather than as a crime.

I use to like Chris Christie back in the day
The tough guy/asshole politician, yelling at surfers during hurricane seasons, it was hysterical.

But he is forcing families out of jersey, forcing them to move from a beautiful coast with an ocean......To colorado, all because he does not want kids to have something that can help them.

Fuck him.

Christie is reason #1 NJ is a blue state.

That's how bad he sucks.

I'll never forget him ripping people after Hurricane Sandy when they were asking for help and made a joke about grabbing a mop to help clean up a floor.

But, NJ was pretty much always blue before Christie got here.

Poppy

Yes, actually do that, and then treat addiction as the health and poverty issue it is rather than as a crime.

yeah dang i can agree with you for once, chris christie!

as much as i personally would appreciate access to all drugs i understand that many people are prone to dangerous addiction so i guess i understand why im not allowed to buy coke and percs over the counter. but gee, that'd be nice. living in my soma laden brave new world

i am so fuckin tired of people like cc calling marijuana a gateway drug. people doing harder shit probably started with ALCOHOL, so that is the gateway drug! you gonna illegalize that shit now?

Top Bottom