• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christianity |OT| The official thread of hope, faith and infinite love.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

“Those who have not discovered that world view is the most important thing about a man, as about the men composing a culture, should consider the train of circumstances, which have with perfect logic proceeded from this. The denial of universals carries with it the denial of everything transcending experience. The denial of everything transcending experience means inevitably – though ways are found to hedge on this - the denial of truth.” Richard Weaver - Scholar, historian, and philosopher at the University of Chicago - Ideas Have Consequences)

Today's blog is on Acts 14 (The Conclusion of the First Missionary Journey) verses 7-13: A lame man is healed that causes people to believe Paul and Barnabas are Greek gods in human bodies.

Samples from the bible study:

"Now those who have been challenged with the word of faith have a choice to obey and to receive that work of God or to argue with Him. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that too many times we're arguing with the Lord. The Lord speaks His word of faith to our hearts, "Be strong! Go in and conquer!" "Oh, Lord, I would love to conquer. Oh, Lord, I'm so weak. I would just love...oh, You don't know, Lord, how I'd love to do that." And we're telling Him all the reasons why we can't rather than just obey and going ahead and doing it. Now if you will just will to obey those commands of Christ to your hearts, you will find, as did this man, that God will give to you all that you need to obey His command of faith. So when God says to you, "Alright now, be strong and be victorious," you say, "Alright, Lord!" And just accept and be strong and victorious. That's all there is to it. If you will will to obey, He will give you the capacity to do it." (Smith)

“Everyone wants to know the meaning of life. The secret? Answer two basic questions; 1) What is the nature of man? and 2) What is the nature of God?, and if you’re right, you’ve found life’s purpose. Even if you’re wrong every belief and every action you choose will flow naturally from your answer to those two questions – because they are the foundation for your worldview.” (J. F. Baldwin)

"When Captain James Cook, discoverer of the Hawaiian Islands, first dropped anchor in Hanauma Bay, he was greeted with great ceremony. Realizing the islanders thought he was their god, Lono, Cook thought, `Oh, well. Why not?' Consequently, he and his men were treated to everything the island had to offer — until one evening, when, Cook, about to take advantage of yet another woman, was clubbed in the back of the head by her husband, who, in his anger, forgot that Captain Cook was Lono. Bleeding and groaning, the Captain went down. By the time he came to, he found himself looking into the eyes of his aggressor, who said, `Gods don't bleed. Nor do they groan.' And Cook was killed on the spot." (Courson)

Other things discussed in greater detail...

God heals a lame man through the apostle Paul.
An example of what happens when people have the wrong worldview.
What is the 3-4-5 method of analyzing any worldview?
Lystra's citizens declare Paul and Barnabas to be Greek gods after seeing the lame man healed.
A small snippet on Zeus and Hermes' background.

New sermons (right click/save as):

7/29/15 - 2 Timothy 1
7/30/15 - The Ministry of the Gospel, Pt. 2 (Ephesians 3:11-13)
7/31/15 - 1 Peter 2:11-12

Audio: Unbelievable? Do the minimal facts support the resurrection? Gary Habermas & James Crossley (Saturday 1st August 2015 - 02:30 pm)

Christian philosopher and historian Gary Habermas has been at the forefront of the ‘minimal facts’ approach as evidence for the resurrection of Jesus.

He debates the commonly agreed facts with agnostic New Testament scholar James Crossley and they discuss whether the miracle of the resurrection can be a historically valid explanation of the evidence.

For Gary Habermas: http://www.garyhabermas.com/

For James Crossley https://historicalchaos.wordpress.com/

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

“I am trying here to prevent anyone from saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: ‘I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept His claim to be God.’ This is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would be a lunatic – on a level with the man who says, he is a poached egg – or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.” (Lewis)

Today's blog is on Acts 14 (The Conclusion of the First Missionary Journey) verses 14-18: Paul & Barnabas confront those whose worldview is false.

Samples from the bible study:

"Paul and Barnabas were as wise as they were humble. They didn't flirt with, joke about, or take lightly the worship of the people of Lystra, but rent their clothes in an outward demonstration of deep inner grief. No wonder God could use them so powerfully." (Courson)

“What are our great desires, and what do they tell us about what we love? Ralph Waldo Emerson once said, “A person will worship something, have no doubt about that. We may think our tribute is paid in secret in the dark recesses of our hearts, but it will out. That which dominates our imaginations and our thoughts will determine our lives, and our character. Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshipping we are becoming.” Eventually, what dominates our innermost thoughts and imaginations comes forth as that to which we give our allegiance and worship. Indeed, long before Emerson, Jesus warned similarly that where our treasure is there our hearts will be also.” (Shull)

“There are some people, nevertheless – and I am one of them – who think that the most practical and important thing about man is still his view of the universe. We think that for a landlady considering a lodger, it is important to know his income, but still more important is to know his philosophy. We think that for a general about to fight an enemy, it is important to know the enemy’s numbers, but still more important to know the enemy’s philosophy. We think the question is not whether the theory of the cosmos affects matters, but whether, in the long run, anything else affects them.” (G. K. Chesterton, Heretics)

Why were Paul and Barnabas full of brief due to the blasphemy of the crowd at Lystra?
Why does the Bible declare that the nature of idolatry is essentially unbelief or God-avoidance?
Paul tells the crowd to recognize the true God instead of worshipping them.
Why is a person's worldview the framework for understanding their existence?

8/2/15 - The Tolerant Church (Revelation 2:18-29)
8/2/15 - Plead The Blood! (Revelation 20:11-13)

New apologetic lectures (right click/save as)

6/3/15 - Atheism is more rational than Christianity (Alister McGrath, Professor of Science and Religion, Oxford University)
6/10/15 - Religion is bad for the world (Keith Ward, Regius Professor of Divinity, Emeritus, Oxford University)
6/17/15 - Science has disproved God (Paul Ewart, Professor of Physics, Oxford University)
6/24/15 - Suffering exists, so God doesn’t (John Lennox, Professor of Mathematics, Oxford University)

From personal experiences I've had what makes attacking Christianity so popular? Out of all the religions out there my friends and many others always seem to get so agitated and disgusted with Christians

entremet

From personal experiences I've had what makes attacking Christianity so popular? Out of all the religions out there my friends and many others always seem to get so agitated and disgusted with Christians

A lot of it has to do with Christian political activism.

I'm a Christian, but really don't focus on political activism. I have enough trouble loving God and loving my neighbor.

A lot of it has to do with Christian political activism.

I'm a Christian, but really don't focus on political activism. I have enough trouble loving God and loving my neighbor.

Even with dwindling numbers, Christians make up some 70% of the nation as well. They have the most perceived influence even outside of politics.

I would agree there, especially in the West. Islam and Judaism are tiny in comparison.

It takes a pretty honest and introspective look for someone to come to the conclusions you've made. I'm not sure if it's most, but I'm sure there's plenty of Christians as oblivious as the one you quoted. The idea that "attacking Christianity is popular" is just as oblivious. Christians make up 70% of the nation. It is NOT popular to criticize Christianity. GAF is not representative of US demographics. If it were I wouldn't be the least trusted segment of society. Part of this perception might be generational as I assume we're all fairly young here. The larger secular movements have been post millennials. So anecdotal evidence might be stronger within the younger demographic. I largely agree with you though. There would be a lot less criticism if the legislation of morality stopped.

Either way I don't want to detract from the majority of the convo in here. I don't mean to derail. But I occasional read through some stuff and thought I would comment here.

There seems to be a stark contrast in the portrayal of Pontius Pilate between the Gospels and Jewish literature.

These portrayed him as a man who disdained the Jews and their sacred traditions; he antagonised them by vandalising the Temple and executed several groups for protest. This brutality continued until he was eventually recalled back to Rome. But in between all of this, the Gospels portray him as having reluctantly sentenced another Jew to death; Christ. Jesus was known to be the King of the Jews, a messiah but not an entirely unique occurrence. Roman governors of Judea had in the past dealt with such figures swiftly. But not with Christ; Pilate was almost sympathetic to this Jew.

Interestingly, his encounter with Jesus had not changed him however. I would have assumed this encounter with Christ to have had a profound impact on him as it suggested during the course of the trial.

How do Christians therefore reconcile the historical view of Pilate with that of what the Gospels teach us?

There seems to be a stark contrast in the portrayal of Pontius Pilate between the Gospels and Jewish literature.

These portrayed him as a man who disdained the Jews and their sacred traditions; he antagonised them by vandalising the Temple and executed several groups for protest. This brutality continued until he was eventually recalled back to Rome. But in between all of this, the Gospels portray him as having reluctantly sentenced another Jew to death; Christ. Jesus was known to be the King of the Jews, a messiah but not an entirely unique occurrence. Roman governors of Judea had in the past dealt with such figures swiftly. But not with Christ; Pilate was almost sympathetic to this Jew.

Interestingly, his encounter with Jesus had not changed him however. I would have assumed this encounter with Christ to have had a profound impact on him as it suggested during the course of the trial.

How do Christians therefore reconcile the historical view of Pilate with that of what the Gospels teach us?
Guess it depends how you read into Pilate. In there past there was one of those Bible films that I feel best portrayed the attitude of Pilate which wasn't sympathy, but sort of a mixture of curiosity and apathy. Have a feeling the only reason he was as lenient as he was is because of his wife who wanted nothing to do with Jesus' execution according to Matthew 27:19. Things like putting the plaque on the cross that read "King of the Jews" was done more to intentionally antagonize the Jewish religious leadership than any kind of belief in His claims, though I think it still served its prophetic purpose. That's how I've read Pontious Pilate anyways.

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

“HERO-WORSHIP is innate to human nature, and it is founded on some of our noblest feelings,— gratitude, love, and admiration, — but which, like all other feelings, when uncontrolled by principle and reason, may easily degenerate into the wildest exaggerations, and lead to most dangerous consequences.” (John Calvin, A Treatise on Relics)

Today's blog is on Acts 14 (The Conclusion of the First Missionary Journey) verses 19-20a: Hero-worship quickly turns into murder.

A sample from the study:

"One minute the people of Lystra cried, `They're gods!' The next, `Kill them!' We do the very same thing whenever we idolize an author, a speaker, or a teacher one day but criticize him the moment we see something in him of which we disapprove. The way to break free from the Lystra Syndrome is not through adoration, nor annihilation — but through appreciation. The Lord instructed His people not to lay an axe to a fruit-bearing tree (Deuteronomy 20:19), for their own hunger would be the result. That's what happened to the people of Lystra — and it happens to us whenever we pick on groups, ministries, churches, or authors instead of picking from them. It's the Treasure, folks, not the earthen vessel which is important (II Corinthians 4:7). I can be enriched, fed, and blessed by the Word others share, even though I may see some earthiness in their vessels. On the other hand, God also instructed His people to chop down any trees that did not bear fruit (Deuteronomy 20:20). There is no place for ministries or cults which undermine our faith, deny the Word, or cast aspersions on the finished work of Christ." (Courson)

The multitudes show how easily people can be manipulated to hate those that they look up to.
Was Paul stoned to death by the multitudes?
How does truth move from one's head to one's heart?
The disciples risk their own lives by standing around Paul's corpse.

Audio: Voice of the Martyrs - Colombia: “We All Know the Risk”

Pastors in the “red zone” areas of Colombia—areas controlled by FARC guerillas—are targets. The FARC resents the gospel message which makes it harder to recruit the population to support the guerilla movement. Pastors in such areas face danger and threats. This week on VOM Radio we’ll discuss how The Voice of the Martyrs provides such pastors with training and encouragement and how these encounters bless them, as well as the VOM workers involved. You’ll also hear an update on two ongoing court cases; the case against Asia Bibi in Pakistan and the ongoing trial of two pastors accused of espionage in Sudan.

8/2/15 - Luke 12:1-12
8/2/15 - God's Love for Israel (Hosea 11:1-11)
8/2/15 - Hosea 11-14
8/2/15 - Rest for our Souls (Mt 11:28-30)
8/2/15 - What Are We to Judge (Mt 7:1-12)

Garryk

This week my church is having a week of prayer where everyday people can come in from 12-1 and pray as a group. Each day has a "theme" like today was peace and tomorrow is healing. I went today; it was fun and more people showed up than I thought. There were one or two people walking around the church praying in tongues. This isn't the first time I've been around it but it always catches me off guard. I just think it's unsettling that you are talking to God and you have no idea what you are saying. You could be telling him to get bent for all I know. It seems like a strange spiritual gift if it serves no one but yourself. What do you all think of speaking in tongues?

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"If Jesus actually was the son of God, and I believe he was, it raises a very big question; what is God doing on a cross? And what that tells me at the least is this, that God has not remained distant from our human suffering but has become part of it. That's not a solution but it is a window into a solution, and I have seen people's lives transformed, I've watched my sister with the grief of losing her lovely daughter, and the girl's husband, the pain isn't removed, but they come to terms with it because they sense that yes, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, you are with me, that there is a shepherd and he's real. If death is the end, if atheism is right...I said to Peter Singer the other night, 'Peter, you've written many books about ethics, but I notice that you have no ultimate justice.' I want to say that one of the biggest things in my Christian faith is the certainty on the basis of the resurrection of Jesus that he, the one who loved us and died for us, is going to be the final judge, and right will be done and will be seen to be done. And I believe and dare to go as far as to say this, if we could see what God has done with those who have perished innocently in the Holocausts of this world, I think that we would say, 'Lord, now I understand.'" (Lennox)

Today's blog is on Acts 14 (The Conclusion of the First Missionary Journey) verses 20-28: Paul and Barnabas model true servanthood.

A sample from the study:

"Hope grows as we sit before the mirror of God’s Word, for it is the one true and trustworthy reflection of who God is and who we are becoming. Here we are exhorted and comforted, chastened and encouraged by the One who loves us and can speak into our lives like no other. Here we can bring our longings, fears, and questions before his throne of grace and let the light of Jesus’s presence shine into every dark and confusing place in our lives, “for God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything. This is the hope of the gospel. And God promises that all “who hope in him will not be disappointed” (Isaiah 49:23)." (DuRant)

"How do we enter into the Kingdom? Through much tribulation. Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego knew this. They were in a fiery trial indeed, yet they didn't come out until they were ordered out (Daniel 3:26) because they preferred walking in the fire with the Lord to sitting in the shade without Him. What happened to the fourth Man in the furnace (Daniel 3:25)? He remained in the fire. Where is Jesus — the fourth Man — today? In the fire. We have a tendency to try to avoid the fire whenever possible — and it's a great mistake. I'm not saying we should be masochists. I am saying it's in the fire, when times are tough, when your heart is breaking that Jesus is most visible, most real, most precious." (Courson)

"Paul’s use of the resurrection as proof of all he has proclaimed to the Athenians is interesting on several levels. To begin with, while the apostle clearly sought to ground his Mars Hill message on a common foundation, he ended with a proof that must have seemed to some like a foreign tidal wave. For the Athenians, resurrection of the body was absurd and unreasonable, as much of an obstacle to them as the scandalizing cross to men and women of Jerusalem. While the philosophers of the Areopagus may have believed in the immortality of the soul, the body was what confined and imprisoned this soul. In their minds, there was a radical distinction between matter and spirit. Bodily resurrection did not make any more sense than a god with a body! For the Athenians, and indeed for all of us, this very proof required a radical turn of heart, mind, soul, and body. For some, this babbler’s new teaching was immediately labeled absurd. When they heard of this resurrection of the dead, reports Luke, there were scoffs and sneers." (Carattini)

Paul leaves Lystra for the city of Derbe, where they find more evangelistic success.
Two things all Christians need more of.
Why does call God call all believers to endure suffering on His behalf?
Why would Paul and Barnabas appoint new believers as elders?
What does it mean to commend someone to God?
What does it mean to commend the gospel?
The itinerary of Paul and Barnabas on the way home.
Paul and Barnabas arrive back in Antioch.

Article: A Learned Craft

Many people, including those within the church, are wrestling with the fundamental character and nature of God, with questions concerning his goodness and trustworthiness. So how do we who identify ourselves as Christians help others see the hope of the gospel and persevere in hope ourselves in a world where the biblical view of a loving and good God is constantly challenged?

Article: Dawkins' disciples are 'laughably, comically wrong', claims apologist

"Written by Andy Bannister, director of Ravi Zacharias International Ministries Canada, it's a romp through the fashionable arguments against Christianity, showing why they aren't nearly as convincing as people think they are, and in many cases are plain daft."

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"Christ does not compete with any other religion, philosophy, or way of life ... for the simple reason that no one else has ever done what he has done, nor can or does offer us what he offers - forgiveness and peace with God, that depend not on our merit but on our trust in the grace and gift of God." (Lennox)

Ac4.12

Today's blog is on Acts 15 (The Jerusalem Council) verses 1-5: The dispute between the men from Judea and Paul and Barnabas.

Samples from the study:

“It was one thing to accept the occasional God-fearer into the church, someone already in sympathy with Jewish ways; it was quite another to welcome large numbers of Gentiles who had no regard for the law and no intention of keeping it.” (Williams)

"If the Pharisees believed anything, they believed one could be justified before God by keeping the law. For a Pharisee to really be a Christian, it would take more than an acknowledgment that Jesus was Messiah; he would have to forsake his attempts to justify himself by the keeping of the law and accept the work of Jesus as the basis of his justification." (Guzik)

"Unlike the Sadducees, Pharisees embraced the miraculous — especially the possibility of resurrection. So, when Jesus rose from the dead, many Pharisees became believers. Here, they are arguing that Christianity should become a denomination within Judaism. Within the broad context of the Jewish religion, there are all sorts of flavors: Orthodox, Ultra-Orthodox, Reformed, Ultra-Reformed, etc. Thus, if these Pharisees had their way, we would be just another flavor — following Rabbi Jesus." (Courson)

False doctrine from Jewish Christians declared that Jesus wasn't enough to save a person.
Did Peter and James also believe in the false doctrine of having to keep the law of Moses in order to be saved?
Why does adding to the gospel attack the foundation of Christianity?
Paul and Barnabas confront the men from Judea about their anti-gospel doctrine.
People being saved should always cause other believers to rejoice.
Former Pharisees repeat that God only accepts and loves a person due to their merit (the good works that they do).
What was the process of a gentile becoming a Christian according to the former pharisees?

8/4/15 - The power of the tongue (James 3:7-12)
8/5/15 - Proverbs 5-6
8/5/15 - Isaiah 31-33
8/5/15 - Fruitful Labor (Philippians 1:21-24)
8/5/15 - Proverbs 28:13-30:6

ST2K

PSA makes the most sense to me.

Ransom Theory always bothers me when it shows up. It always seems to imply that Satan somehow has power over God.

PSA makes the most sense to me.

Ransom Theory always bothers me when it shows up. It always seems to imply that Satan somehow has power over God.

Agreed and agreed. I don't see how Ransom Theory even exists. Like the devil has the fishing reel and is holding the carrot in front of God?

The only one I could see being correct along with PSA is Christus Victor, but the fact remains: Jesus took my sin and nailed it to the cross. The Lord laid our iniquities on Him. There is no way around that, and subsequently PSA, in my eyes. What do you think of Christus Victor?

ST2K

Agreed and agreed. I don't see how Ransom Theory even exists. Like the devil has the fishing reel and is holding the carrot in front of God?

The only one I could see being correct along with PSA is Christus Victor, but the fact remains: Jesus took my sin and nailed it to the cross. The Lord laid our iniquities on Him. There is no way around that, and subsequently PSA, in my eyes. What do you think of Christus Victor?

I will be honest. I have never heard anyone proclaim that view in a theological sense. Looking it up, I recognize it being echoed poetically in worship and such, but not in any sort of belief or teaching that I have personally encountered.

Skimming it over, this quote that is supposed to summarize the belief raises some questions:

As Gustav Aulén writes, "the work of Christ is first and foremost a victory over the powers which hold mankind in bondage: sin, death, and the devil."

1. The Crucifixion/Resurrection of Christ was not a victory over sin, the life of Christ was. If all that was required was a life without sin, then there is no need for a resurrection or crucifixion. I don't see the connection here.
2. The Crucifixion/Resurrection of Christ was a victory over death, yes, but it was not the first. We had seen death defeated permanently via ascension in the cases of Enoch and Elijah, and Christ himself raised a child and Lazarus from the dead. With those in mind, the only new thing the incarnation of Christ brought to the table was he both rose from the dead and ascended, which had only happened to different people before. I'm not sure that's something to hang your hat on.
3. As far as "victory" over Satan goes, we've touched on that.

I will be honest. I have never heard anyone proclaim that view in a theological sense. Looking it up, I recognize it being echoed poetically in worship and such, but not in any sort of belief or teaching that I have personally encountered.

Skimming it over, this quote that is supposed to summarize the belief raises some questions:

1. The Crucifixion/Resurrection of Christ was not a victory over sin, the life of Christ was. If all that was required was a life without sin, then there is no need for a resurrection or crucifixion. I don't see the connection here.
2. The Crucifixion/Resurrection of Christ was a victory over death, yes, but it was not the first. We had seen death defeated permanently via ascension in the cases of Enoch and Elijah, and Christ himself raised a child and Lazarus from the dead. With those in mind, the only new thing the incarnation of Christ brought to the table was he both rose from the dead and ascended, which had only happened to different people before. I'm not sure that's something to hang your hat on.
3. As far as "victory" over Satan goes, we've touched on that.

Enoch and Elijah did not ascend into heaven, Jesus even testifies of that. They were either A) Assumed into heaven, that is carried into heaven, or B) Taken up into the first heaven, which simply means the skies, then died some other time at some other place.

Nobody
has ascended (by his own will, volition, and power) into heaven except he who descended from it.

But yea, I don't find the arguments for anything but PSA compelling enough.

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"We are saved by grace through faith alone, but in the process of growth as believers, the light of the gospel must gradually shine on those areas of our lives that hold us back from fulfilling our true calling. When the gospel of Christ begins to chip away at those holdups, we learn what it means to be truly free and why it is prudent to hate sin. John Witherspoon was right. In his sermon on the first Thanksgiving Day called after the war for independence in the U.S., he declared, “A republic once equally poised must either preserve its virtue or lose its liberty.” Whether for an individual or a sovereign nation, truth and virtue are the rails upon which the wheels of freedom roll." (Njoroge)"

Today's blog is on Acts 15 (The Jerusalem Council) verses 6-11: The Jerusalem council decides if Jew and Gentile are saved by faith alone (Part 1).

Samples from the study:

"They were purified because of their belief, not before their belief. Although we're to be fishers of men (Matthew 4:19), the problem with so many Christians today is that they are trying to clean the fish before they catch them, when in reality, it is not until after men are hooked on Christ and brought into the boat of the Kingdom that their hearts will change. Therefore, the great need of our world, our communities, our families is not reformation — it's regeneration." (Courson)

"The Christian faith, simply stated, reminds us that our fundamental problem is not moral; rather, our fundamental problem is spiritual. It is not just that we are immoral, but that a moral life alone cannot bridge what separates us from God. Herein lies the cardinal difference between the moralizing religions and Jesus’ offer to us. Jesus does not offer to make bad people good but to make dead people alive. In the Christian faith alone you have a sequence of three: redemption, righteousness, and worship. You can never be righteous without being redeemed, you can not worship without being redeemed and righteous. That is both a logical and chronological sequence." (Zacharias)

“Peter, the Jew, would normally have said it the other way around. He would have said, ‘We believe that they can be saved by grace through faith, just like us.’ That is, they can be like us.” (Boice) Yet Peter turned it around and noted that all are saved by grace alone through faith alone, Gentiles and Jews." (Guzik)

The Jerusalem council discusses if Gentiles can be saved by faith alone.
The apostle Peter give a historical example of Gentiles being saved by faith alone.
How are we purified by faith?
Why and how is Jesus different than every religion in the world?
The history of Israel proves that the law of God (rules and regulation keeping) cannot save a person.
The apostle Peter declares that Jew and Gentile cannot be saved by merit/works.

Video: Evaluating the Roman Catholic Papacy - Roundtable Discussion

In his recently published book A Christian's Pocket Guide to Papacy, Leonardo considers the individuals who have filled the position as pope and how the Roman Catholic Church has defined their role. He also provides evangelicals with insight into the ecumenical significance of the Papacy and its prospects in our global world. This discussion evaluates the book and continues the dialogue on the Papacy with input from a number of evangelical leaders.

Article: Is the Yoke on You? - A Topical Study of Acts 15:10

Video: Give Me an Answer - #2114 - Why Does God Allow Evil?

Video: Veritas Forum - Certainty: Is Science All you Need? - Troy Van Voorhis at Iowa State University

Video: Dr Andy Bannister on BBC Oxford

Article: US Cardinal attacks abortion provider following undercover video released by pro-life group

Article: China: Christians detained in row over church crosses

Article: The Prophet and the Newspaper

An encouraging read for the speechless, the weary, and the frustrated. Where is God in this world of pain and injustice?

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

“…it is wrong to treat God as a grand employment agency, a celestial executive searcher to find perfect fits for our perfect gifts. The truth is not that God is finding us a place for our gifts but that God has created us and our gifts for a place of his choosing – and we will only be ourselves when we are finally there.” (Os Guinness, The Call.)

Today's blog is on Acts 15 (The Jerusalem Council) verses 12-21:The Jerusalem council decides if Jew and Gentile are saved by faith alone (Part 2).

Samples from the study:

"This story of the Syrophoenician woman demonstrates that God’s promise to Abraham overflows to the outside. The Syrophoenician woman understands this better than some in Jesus’s own circles and he gives her the opportunity to educate them: There is an overflow of blessing to one such as me, and it does not involve taking away the portion allotted to the insiders. As Peter declares in his own encounter with the Gentile Cornelius, “Truly I perceive that God shows no partiality, but in every nation anyone who fears God and does what is right is acceptable to God.” (Shull)

"The Jew is saved just as the Gentile. Right now, as far as God is concerned, there's no racial differences. Salvation is open to every man, Jew and Gentile alike. But the day is coming when the fullness of the Gentiles is come in, then God will again restore His work on the nation of Israel. But here he says he's visiting the Gentiles to take out of them a people for His name. God knows exactly who those people are; God has a number. And Paul tells us that when the fullness of the Gentiles has come in, then God will deal with Israel once more. But God knows exactly what the fullness of the Gentiles is. For known unto Him are all of His works from the beginning. God knows exactly who is going to be saved. God has always known who was going to be saved. "Known unto Him are all of his works from the beginning." (Smith)

'Paul’s definition of freedom for love and service seems to fly in the face of understanding freedom as doing whatever one wants to do, individually. And while deploring the restriction or oppression of human freedom as evidenced in totalitarian regimes and systems, might it also be prudent to deplore the unchecked, unthinking, and often self-centered understanding of freedom that occupies many Western societies and systems. We are called to freedom, freedom for others–and not simply as the individualistic pursuit of self-interest. Rightly understood, freedom is grounded in love for the sake of one another." (Manning)

Paul and Barnabas support Peter’s claim that God is doing a work among Gentiles.
A brief look at Jesus' half-brother James.
James declares that God loves and welcomes Gentiles into His kingdom.
What evidence did James have that God loved Gentiles?
Has Israel become the church?
Is God limited in His knowledge?
James declares that salvation is by faith alone.
Why did James declare that Gentiles must avoid four things if salvation is by faith alone?
What is the definition of Biblical Freedom?
Is sexuality sacred?

Audio: Unbelievable? New Testament listener Q&A - Gary Habermas & James Crossley (Saturday 8th August 2015 - 02:30 pm)

Christian Bible scholar Gary Habermas and agnostic New Testament scholar James Crossley return to answer questions sent in by Unbelievable? listeners.

They answer your questions on the Jewishness of Jesus, the dating of the New Testament documents and much more!

Get the MP3 (Right Click/Save As)

For Gary Habermas: http://www.garyhabermas.com/

For James Crossley: https://historicalchaos.wordpress.com/

Article: The Bird Still Sings by Ravi Zacharias

Many are trying to snuff out the gospel's message. Are they succeeding?

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"Multiple barriers stand in the way of someone hearing, understanding and embracing the Christian worldview. So when it comes to knowing how much is enough to see the big picture, Christians are responsible only to prayerfully and practically do their best and trust God to take care of the rest. We need to live as a good example of the truth, speak in a way that makes people think about the truth, and allow God to deal with the heart of the matter—the matter of the heart. Jesus understood this better than anyone, and he exposed the underlying obstacles in his conversation with a rich young ruler (Mt 19:16-22). This man appeared to be ready to follow Jesus, having overcome the intellectual obstacles and realizing he spoke the truth; however, his instructions to “go sell your possessions and give to the poor” identified the greater issue and the real stumbling block. Instead of doing what Jesus asked, the man turned and walked away. You do not have to be rich to count the cost of following Christ because we all understand the aversion to giving up what we cling to in life. God requires us to let go and let him take control, while we are determined to hang on to our life with white knuckles. Moral obstacles are often what really stand in the way of people embracing the truth of the Christian worldview, and when this is the case no reason to believe will ever be good enough."(McLellan)

Today's blog is on Acts 15 (The Jerusalem Council) verses 22-35: The Jerusalem council decides if Jew and Gentile are saved by faith alone (Part 3) & Paul and Barnabas return to Antioch.

A sample from the study:

"Now here I believe that we have an example of the word of wisdom, the gift of the word of wisdom in operation through James. We have disputing parties. We have a strong dispute going on in the church. There is a danger of splitting the church. There are those that are saying they've got to be circumcised and keep the law of Moses. How can they be saved and keep the law of Moses? How can they be saved without doing that? Paul says, "Look, it's obvious that God is working among them. There are signs and gifts and they haven't been circumcised." And there is this dispute going on, and James says, "Brethren, this is what I feel we ought to do. Let's write them a letter and just recognize that God has saved them through faith and just tell them that they ought to keep themselves from pollution and from fornication and things that strangled and from blood, and if they do this, they do well." And everybody was satisfied. The word of wisdom through the Holy Spirit. And so they write, "It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us." Recognizing that the counsel came from the Lord." (Smith)

The Jerusalem council sends Paul, Barnabas, Judas, and Silas with news of the council’s decision.
A letter of decision is drafted that declares Gentiles are saved by faith in Christ alone.
An example of the Holy Spirit guiding James through the gift of the word of wisdom.
The end of the letter of decision.
A joyful reception among the Gentile Christians at the church of Antioch.
The work of the gospel continues in Antioch.
How to know the will of God #1: God guides through Church unanimity.
How to know the will of God #3: God guides through the gifts of the Spirit.
How to know the will of God #2: God guides through gifted men and women in the Body.
How to know the will of God #4: God guides through desires we may have personally.

Article: A Jigsaw Guide to Making Sense of the World

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Still feeling depressed without an excitement for life. Can't see the doc for another month. Need some Christian words of encouragement. :(

Edit: My depression seems to have subsided for now after taking a nap and listening to a lecture by NT Wright.

maybe a Tim Keller sermon will help you out some, hope you feel better however..the groaning of this creation...as we are subjected to futility is real...sucks but its real. Godspeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts7F6dqrC-s

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

“Preach the gospel constantly and, if necessary, use words.” Francis of Assisi

Today's blog is on Acts 15 (The Jerusalem Council) verses 36-41: The contention over John Mark between Paul and Barnabas.

Samples from the study:

"Paul said, `I'm curious about how the believers we saw five years ago are doing.' So too today. Suddenly you'll be aware of a situation, a need, or an opportunity, and it will tug on your heart. The person next to you might not feel a thing — not because he's insensitive or unspiritual, but because meeting that particular need is not his calling. One of the big problems in the Body of Christ is `ministry projection' where we decide whoever doesn't have our vision, or our calling is carnal. Ministry projection is the result of a failure to understand that the way of the Lord is to guide us individually through concerns we feel internally." (Courson)

"For those who carry in their identity the burden of being a deserter, for those who have run from God and the Son we once thought to follow, the memory is like the roar of a lion that keeps us hiding in the wilderness. How do you resist the familiar instinct to run? And if you do find a way to resist, how do you live down the times you didn’t? For such disciples, stories of well-known runners roar with hope. For running can at times remind us who we are again, like David who found there was nowhere he could flee from God’s presence, or Jacob who discovered he couldn’t run forever but had to wrestle with the sovereign one behind his pride and fear, or Mark himself who seemed to realize that sin and shortfall only illumine the urgency of our need for Christ the King." (Carattini)

"It is always wrong to step over people in the name of ministry, and when it happens it must be made right. There is no doubt God used this division; but this can never be casually used as an excuse for carnal division. God can redeem good out of evil, yet we are all held accountable for the evil we do, even if God ends up bringing good out of the evil. Either Paul or Barnabas - probably both - had to get this right with God and each other." (Guzik)

What having the heart of an obstetrician and a pediatrician mean?
How to know the will of God #5
John Mark: The story of one who runs away from God and a symbol of courage and hope.
Paul and Barnabas become divide: Does God guide through interpersonal difficulties?
How to know the will of God #6.
Paul and Barnabas part ways over John Mark.
What are the ways God guides believers?

8/9/15 - Ezra 1-2
8/9/15 - Revelation 18
8/9/15 - The Significance of Jesus' Ascension (Acts 1:1-11)
8/9/15 - Lessons from History (1 Corinthians 10:1-13)
8/9/15 - Jesus Reigning Over All (II Thessalonians 1:1-10)
8/9/15 - John the Baptist Points to Jesus (Selected Scriptures)
8/9/15 - Matters of the Heart (Matthew 5:21-32)

Book: Dr Andy Bannister (of Ravi Zacharias' ministry) has released a new book on Atheism. The first chapter is free to read online:

Download Chapter 1 For Free (right click/save as)

About the book:

In the last decade, atheism has leapt from obscurity to the front pages: producing best-selling books, making movies, and plastering adverts on the side of buses. There's an energy and a confidence to contemporary atheism: many people now assume that a godless scepticism is the default position, indeed the only position for anybody wishing to appear educated, contemporary and urbane. Atheism is hip, religion is boring.

Yet when one pokes at popular atheism, many of the arguments used to prop it up quickly unravel. The Atheist Who Didn't Exist is designed to expose some of the loose threads on the cardigan of atheism, tug a little, and see what happens. Blending humour with serious thought, Andy Bannister helps the reader question everything, assume nothing and, above all, recognise lazy scepticism and bad arguments. Be an atheist by all means: but do be a thought-through one.

Article: The Bird Still Sings: Why Christianity Cannot Be Silenced

In America now it seems fashionable to mock evangelicalism and try to silence the gospel message. But Jesus is growing His Church across the globe, and historic movements are taking place from China and Korea to the Middle East.

Article: They Want Their Own Canon

Video: Is Christianity a matter of convenience? - Michael Ramsden

Michael Ramsden discussing what it means to be a Christian and a human being in our present day, at the Keswick Convention 28/07/2015.

Chaplain

Quotes of the day by C.S. Lewis on Rationality and Materialism:

"One absolutely central inconsistency ruins [the popular scientific philosophy]. The whole picture professes too depend on inferences from observed facts. Unless inference is valid, the whole picture disappears...unless reason is an absolute, all is in ruins. Yet those who ask me to believe this world picture also ask me to believe that Reason is simply the unforeseen and unintended by-product of mindless matter at one stage of it's endless and aimless becoming. Here is a flat contradiction. They ask me at the same moment to accept a conclusion and to discredit the only testimony on which that conclusion can be based."

"If the solar system was brought about by an accidental collision, then the appearance of organic life on this planet was also an accident, and the whole evolution of Man was an accident too. If so, then all our thought processes are mere accidents-the accidental by-product of the movement of atoms. And this holds for the materialists' and astronomers; as well as for anyone else's. But if their thoughts are merely accidental by-products...why should we believe them to be true? I see no reason for believing that one accident should be able to give a correct account of all the other accidents."

Today's blog is on Acts 16 (The Second Missionary Journey Begins) verses 1-8: Timothy joins Paul and Silas & The Holy Spirit forbids Paul.

Samples from the study:

"Jesus said to His disciples, "Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that you should be my disciples and you should bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain" (John 15:16). And a very important part to any ministry is the remaining fruit. It's not really how many people you can get excited and make a commitment to Jesus Christ. Five years later, how many people are still going on with the Lord? That's what really counts." (Smith)

"The Bible reminds us to guard our doctrine and our conduct. Our youth know firsthand what the world has to offer. They need to be reached at a younger age because of the world of the Internet that ravages young minds sooner than ever before. Building their faith is not a prime strength in our churches today. We seem to think that we need to entertain them into the church. But what you win them with is often what you win them to. They can see through a hollow faith in a hurry. Their minds are hungry for coherence and meaning. They long to think things through. They long to know why the gospel is both true and exclusive. None of these issues are often addressed within their own reach. I believe this is the most serious crisis of our church-going youth today. Their faith is more a longing than a fulfillment. We have a special burden for the youth. We will keep at it as we try to reach them. It’s a tough world for the young." (Zacharias)

“By Jewish law Timothy was a Jew, because he was the son of Jewish mother, but because he was uncircumcised he was technically an apostate Jew. If Paul wished to maintain his links with the synagogue, he could not be seen to countenance apostasy.” (Bruce)

"It is difficult to say exactly how the Holy Spirit said no; it may have been through a word of prophecy, or by an inward speaking of the Holy Spirit, or by circumstances. One way or another, Paul and his company got the message. Ephesus would come later, not now." (Guzik)

Paul returns to Derbe and Lystra to see if people are still walking with God.
Paul meets Timothy in Lystra for the first time.
Background on Timothy and the importance of reaching the youth for Christ.
Timothy joins Paul and Silas.
Did Paul compromise his theology by having Timothy circumcised?
Was the early church successful because of man-made programs?
Why did the Holy Spirit forbid Paul to do something good like preaching the word in the Roman Province of Asia Minor?

Article: Killing the Canaanites: A Response to the New Atheism’s “Divine Genocide” Claims

"Richard Dawkins and other new atheists herald God’s ordering of the destruction of Canaanite cities to be divine 'ethnic cleansing' and 'genocides.' With righteous indignation, Dawkins opines that the God of the Old Testament is 'the most unpleasant character in all of fiction.' But was the killing of the Canaanites an example of divine genocide? If you think the Canaanites deserved to die because of their own wickedness, Dawkins will zealously compare you to acting like the Taliban. A closer look at several key facts will help explain God’s reason for the destruction of the Canaanites and reveal how our own sinfulness demonstrates our incapacity to judge rightly."

Video: The Resurrection of Jesus / William Lane Craig with Q&A

This video features a talk given by Dr. William Lane Craig in a Texas bar on the resurrection of Jesus.

The dumbest myths by GAF:

1) girls don't poop
2) there is a God

I don't know...lately these "let's all ridicule religion" threads have been getting into me. I know I should just ignore them, but I can't help it. Makes me angry. And I don't want to be angry. Then someone makes a thread about "let's all give recommends on New Age books like the Alchemist, that only say things you want to hear" and everything is cool, no need to ridicule anyone.

I shouldn't even post this, but whatever.

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

“Evil is ultimately that which violates the purposes of God for life and living in community with each other.” (Zacharias)

Today's blog is on Acts 16 (The Second Missionary Journey Begins) verses 9-15: God directs Paul to the region of Macedonia to save a woman named Lydia.

Samples from the study:

“About a decade ago, those of us who work in Muslim outreach started to hear about something new in the world of Islam. God was opening the closed hearts of Muslims by giving them spectacular dreams and visions. At first, the stories were rare, but today…[they] have become a common occurrence. We find that about one out of every three Muslim-background believers has had a dream or vision prior to their salvation experience. Some more precise surveys…suggest a little over 25 percent of Muslims had a dream or a vision before becoming disciples of Jesus. Either way, the percentage is significant. As powerful as [they]…are, though, they are just the door opener for most Muslims, the starting point for conversion.” (Tom Doyle)

"The Lord opened her heart to heed the things spoken by Paul: No one will respond to the gospel message unless God goes before us and sends His Spirit to do a work in human hearts. Jesus said, “no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father” (John 6:65)." (Stanley)

God directs Paul to the region of Macedonia.
How to know the will of God #8.
Does God still direct people through visions and dreams?
How Jesus is reaching Muslims through dreams in the middle east.
An answer to why the Holy Spirit forbid Paul.
Paul and his crew arrive in the city of Philippi.
Why did certain cities not have synagogues?
Background on Lydia a merchant that sold purple.
God saves Lydia.
God directs Paul to the region of Macedonia to save a woman named Lydia.

8/11/15 - James 3:13-16
8/12/15 - Proverbs 7-9
8/12/15 - Psalm 31
8/12/15 - A Vision for the Resurrected Life (Colossians 3:1-4)

Article: Isn’t the Bible Sexist?

There is a widespread belief around about the Bible that it is some kind of powerful patriarchal conspiracy which has been used to oppress women. As a female speaker I find that this question is frequently asked: “How can you as a woman promote such a sexist book? The church has tried to keep women down!” As a Christian, I believe I need to be sensitive to the issues which underlie such an emotive question. While it may indeed seem to be the case that women have been discriminated against by religion, the Bible itself deserves closer examination on the subject. How is it that many of the greatest Jewish and Christian pioneers have been women? What does the Bible really say about this subject?

Article: The Christian Purge Has Begun: Chaplains banned from preaching that homosexuality is a sin

Chaplain David Wells was told he could either sign a state-mandated document promising to never tell inmates that homosexuality is “sinful” or else the Kentucky Department of Juvenile Justice would revoke his credentials.

“We could not sign that paper,” Chaplain Wells told me in a telephone call from his home in Kentucky. “It broke my heart.”

The Kentucky Department of Juvenile Justice revoked his volunteer credentials as an ordained minister — ending 13 years of ministry to underage inmates at the Warren County Regional Juvenile Detention Center.

“We sincerely appreciate your years of service and dedication to the youth served by this facility,” wrote Superintendent Gene Wade in a letter to Wells. “However, due to your decision, based on your religious convictions, that you cannot comply with the requirements outlined in DJJ Policy 912, Section IV, Paragraph H, regarding the treatment of LGBTQI youth, I must terminate your involvement as a religious volunteer.”

Then someone makes a thread about "let's all give recommends on New Age books like the Alchemist, that only say things you want to hear" and everything is cool, no need to ridicule anyone.

1. Pray for them. We are commanded to pray for people that do not know the Lord. That God would open their eyes and help them see the truth about His Son.
2. The reason that thread is so different than other threads is because believing in the "new age" doesn't effect their worldview in anyway. Their morals and ethics remain the same (unchallenged) since the new age doesn't make any absolute claims about morality, ethics, good/evil, and the meaning and purpose of life. The Christian worldview is the complete opposite of this since God does say that morals and ethics are absolute, and that life is not ultimately meaningless and purposeless. Many believe that Christianity attacks the freedom of the individual. So, many are hostile to Christ and anyone who claims to represent him because their way of living is threatened.

"Numerous men and women object to Christianity on the basis that it hinders their freedom, and thus limits their choices. These men and women wish to be free from Christianity in order to chase after other pursuits or options. But a framework or set of rules often enables our freedom. Baseball won’t work without rules because it ceases to be baseball when its rules are abandoned. They help to define how the game will be played and enjoyed to its fullest. Accordingly, Christianity offers a moral vision of the world that guides us to become what we were meant to be. We are freed to serve and freed to live as the human beings God intends. Taking this into account, a more relevant question would be, “Which worldview grants us the freedom to be the best people we can be?” Freedom to be something rather than just freedom from something should be the primary concern in our discussion of the various choices we’re confronted with in the worldview arena. Christianity emerges as a worldview that uniquely offers a vision of freedom necessary for us to “be truly human and really live out all that life has to offer us.”

1. Pray for them. We are commanded to pray for people that do not know the Lord. That God would open their eyes and help them see the truth about His Son.
2. The reason that thread is so different than other threads that believing in the "new age" doesn't effect the meaning and purpose of their worldview in anyway. Their morals and ethics remain the same (unchallenged) since the new age doesn't make any absolute claims about morality, ethics, good/evil, and the meaning and purpose of life. The Christian worldview is the complete opposite of this since God does say that morals and ethics are absolute, and that life is not ultimately meaningless and purposeless. Many believe that Christianity attacks the freedom of the individual. So, many are hostile Christ and His servants due to this among many things.

You are right.

Chaplain

You are right.

An amazing book that looks at the implications of history repeating itself, and it presently is, is John Lennox's book on the book of Daniel.

Against the Flow: The Inspiration of Daniel in an Age of Relativism

I just finished this book. I would say this book nails what is going on in the western culture with the rise of moral relativism and traces the beginnings of this movement to the book of Daniel. It will give you a really good analysis of what we are seeing on GAF and the culture at large.

If you do not want to read, Lennox has lectures that summarize what is in his book. Here are the links for these audio lectures which are all free:

John Lennox: Daniel - Standing Strong For God In A Secular Society
John Lennox: Daniel 1-2 - Identity And Integrity
John Lennox: Daniel 3-5 - Revelation And Reason
John Lennox: Daniel 6-12 - Power And Truth
John Lennox: Going Against the Flow (lessons from the book of Daniel for the church today)

Each of the lectures can be streamed or downloaded. My wife and I have listened to all of his lectures on Daniel while driving back and forth to the hospital for doctor appointments. I have learned that this is the best and easiest way to learn and make use of idle time driving long distances.

I've been in the faith for most of my life but from time to time as I re-read the bible some things I still struggle with are Predestination and Assurance of Salvation

Calvinism vs the Arminianism view on this is classic no doubt, but both sides can point to biblical reference on God choosing whom he saves. Even Jesus in John 6:44 says "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him"
Now Paul expands on this even more within Romans 9 but it just raises questions in me that eventually lead to self doubting salvation. If I look more at theology it gets worse, so I try to stay in the word and pray for insight and wisdom.

Essentially God can do what he wants to and is sovereign, but did I actually make a choice in the matter because I seek the Lord?

Just curious how you guys look at this for yourselves. I've resigned myself to nothing more than seeking and asking for God to lead my life, staying in the word and I can say without a doubt ever since I've done that He has. It hasn't been an easy road but looking back I've always gotten through things I didn't think were possible.

Chaplain

Essentially God can do what he wants to and is sovereign, but did I actually make a choice in the matter because I seek the Lord?

Yes. You and I made a decision of our own freewill to have a relationship with God (through the death and resurrection of His Son). The Holy Spirit convicted us by showing us the solution for willfully sinning against Him and people made in His image. We stepped out in faith (faith provided by God) to accept His gift. We had the ability to accept His gift or reject it. Not based on any merit we have ever done, but solely based on his love for us. We became adopted into His family by receiving His Son. Very much like when two people become married. My wife had the ability to either marry me or not marry me. At some point, regardless of all of our own historical evidence of knowing each other, she stepped out in faith (not knowing the future) that we will love each other and make it until the end. God offers a relationship with all mankind (1 John 2). Some people are willing to open the door, while others choose not to let Christ in. God will not force himself on anyone by violating their will to be with Him.

One more thing. This is why Jesus says to pick up our cross and deny ourselves daily. Even as believers we still have freewill to continue walking with God or not. Jesus knows this, and this is why he tells us to daily kill off our former-selves - since our former-selves will hinder us from wanting to do the things God wants us to do (Galatians 5:16-17). Each of us chooses to abide in Christ for the rest of our lives (John 15). God will not force us to abide, it is something each of us must do with his help.

Just curious how you guys look at this for yourselves. I've resigned myself to nothing more than seeking and asking for God to lead my life, staying in the word and I can say without a doubt ever since I've done that He has. It hasn't been an easy road but looking back I've always gotten through things I didn't think were possible.

Same here. Just keep doing what you are doing. Study, pray, grow, and continue to discipline yourself in the things of the Lord.

Mariolee

The dumbest myths by GAF:

1) girls don't poop
2) there is a God

I don't know...lately these "let's all ridicule religion" threads have been getting into me. I know I should just ignore them, but I can't help it. Makes me angry. And I don't want to be angry. Then someone makes a thread about "let's all give recommends on New Age books like the Alchemist, that only say things you want to hear" and everything is cool, no need to ridicule anyone.

I shouldn't even post this, but whatever.

I feel exactly the same. It's funny that in every religious thread all tact and politeness and respect goes out the window in favor of a quick drive by post about how stupid religion is. It definitely feels obvious they look down on us and that lack of respect is why I don't like to enter these threads much anymore when they're long.

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"Yes, the Quran teaches that the sun sets in a pool of water at the western edge of the earth (surat al-kahf, 18:86). Therefore, no, the author of the Quran did not have miraculous scientific knowledge. See also 86:7 where the Quran is incorrect about human anatomy. The clear scientific statements of the Quran are wrong. Although some pre-existing scientific knowledge might be present in the Quran, this is hardly miraculous. The supposed "miraculous scientific knowledge" of the Quran is only tenuous explanations attempting to make ambiguous verses sound scientifically accurate. They never rely on clear exegesis, using instead "deep mystical truth" as a cloak for eisegesis. They are certainly not compelling in the light of the clear scientific inaccuracies of the Quran. May truth shine clearly into the darkness, bringing many into the Light. Amen." (Qureshi)

Today's blog is on Acts 16 (The Second Missionary Journey Begins) verses 16-24: The clashing of two opposing worldviews (part 1).

Samples from the study:

"Some men were exploiting a demon-possessed slave girl for her ability to predict the future. The English words, a spirit by which she predicted the future, translate two Greek words, “a spirit, a python.” This concept goes back to the Greek city of Delphi where the god Apollo was believed to be embodied in a python snake. The original priestess at Delphi was purported to be possessed by Apollo and thereby able to predict the future; therefore anyone possessed by the python spirit could foretell coming events. No doubt an actual demon gave such a person predictive powers. Demons took advantage of people’s worship of false gods (cf. 17:23; 1 Cor. 10:20)." (Walvoord)

"Let me ask you a question. Is that a true statement? Absolutely! That is the truth! You say, what is Satan doing speaking the truth? He does it all the time. Do you know that II Corinthians 11 says he appears as an angel of light and his ministers appear as angels of light? Satan's been doing things in the name of Jesus Christ for centuries. White magic by definition is black magic in Christian terms; that's all. There are all kinds of demonic things going on in the name of Jesus Christ. Some even have recorded indications of demons who have taken the name of Jesus. You can't say, well, we did it in Jesus' name, therefore, it was of God. That doesn't mean anything. It doesn't mean anything at all. Demons will say anything they need to say. That's why John says in 1 John 4, you better get down close and look and try the spirits to see whether they be of God. It's not always evident on the surface. This is Satan's most subtle avenue." (JM)

A demon-possessed slave girl (filled with the spirit of Pythona) follows Paul.
Does Satan speak the truth or does he only lie?
Why did Paul become annoyed with the demon inside the slave girl?
Should the church emulate the world in reaching the lost?
Paul casts the demon out of the slave girl.
The owners of the de-humanized slave-girl become upset because their slave is demon-free.
Does the Bible Condone Slavery?
Paul and Silas encounter anti-Semitism in the Roman Empire.

8/12/15 - There's A Battle
8/12/15 - A New Beginning (Joshua 1:1-9)

Video: The Kalam Cosmological Argument | University of Birmingham, UK

The Kalam Cosmological Argument

(1) Everything that has a beginning of its existence has a cause of its existence.
(2) The universe has a beginning of its existence.
Therefore:
(3) The universe has a cause of its existence.
(4) If the universe has a cause of its existence then that cause is God.
Therefore:
(5) God exists.

Article: Dawkins and the Abuse of History

When Richard Dawkins’ The God Delusion was published in 2006, it quickly became the rallying manifesto of what has been termed New Atheism. It won the praises of a diverse range of commentators and reviewers that included the illusionists Penn and Teller, the writer Phillip Pullman, John Cornwell in The Sunday Times and even The Daily Mail. Since then, a number of significant Christian responses have been made by academics such as Alistair McGrath, Keith Ward and John Lennox that rebut Dawkins’ atheist scepticism from philosophical, theological, psychological and scientific perspectives.

Article: Is Believing in God a Psychological Crutch?

Where does this idea come from—this concept of God as a creation or projection of human minds that is propounded by so many? Its most famous proponent was the thinker Sigmund Freud (1856-1939). Freud was an Austrian neurologist and the founder of psychoanalysis, a movement that popularized the theory that unconscious motives control much human behavior. His theories and his treatment of patients were controversial in nineteenth-century Vienna and remain hotly debated today. His research was wide ranging and complex, but for our purposes we examine in particular his commitment to the notion of God as entirely a projection of the human mind.

Article: Five atheists who lost faith in atheism

Atheism is cool. At least, that's the popular perception of a worldview that's enjoyed a rebrand and a renaissance in the last couple of decades. Authors like Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens have issued forceful public challenges to the claims of the major faiths and the rights they've traditionally been granted, while well-respected and high-profile public figures have lent vocal support to their ideas. When Stephen Fry outlined an atheist (or even anti-theist) position on an Irish talk show, the interview went viral in hours, while comedian Ricky Gervais frequently uses his substantial platform to attack and undermine religion in film and stand-up.

Christians can naturally feel a little threatened by this kind of activity. Witness the scores of 'response articles' which appeared within days of Fry's "capricious, mean-minded God" outburst. If we do feel worried or undermined in our faith, it should probably prompt some serious self-examination; a belief that is truly practiced in everyday life should be strong enough and have enough evidence to withstand a few specious celebrity soundbites. In fact, there are reasons to feel strangely positive about the atheist pronouncements of public figures. Not only are there countless people who have found themselves in church, or on an Alpha course, precisely because the arguments of Dawkins and others left them dissatisfied, but there are also many stories of formerly high-profile atheists who ended up losing their surety, and in many cases converting to the Christian faith.

Article: When the Dust Settles

Christians don’t have only statements and creeds on which to stand. We stand on holy ground, before a holy God. And as Moses, Daniel, Mary, Zechariah, Elizabeth, and countless others have discovered, it is a place of both awe and intimacy before the very One who describes and makes sense of all reality.

Thanks for your perspective man, I appreciate that.

Your welcome. ^_^

Another interesting thing is that Jesus is standing outside of the church of Laodicea in Revelation 3. Meaning, believers in the church of Laodicea kicked Jesus out (excluded him by their own freewill). Jesus wouldn't come back into the church without their permission (which is why he knocks). These scriptures in Revelation 3 can also be applied to an individual as well.

"The occupant must open the door. That is, he must repent of his pride and self-sufficiency, his human wisdom, and his cowardly neutrality." (H. Morris)

"Christ stands - waits long, at the door of the sinner's heart; he knocks - uses judgments, mercies, reproofs, exhortations, to induce sinners to repent and turn to him; he lifts up his voice - calls loudly by his word, ministers, and Spirit." (Clarke)

Chaplain

Today's quote is longer than normal. It is historical quote that shows what happened when the Communist party took over Romania (1944) and how the majority of church leaders became deceived by communist ideology. From the book Tortured for Christ:

Once the Communists came to power, they skillfully used the means of seduction toward the Church. The language of love and the language of seduction are the same. The one who wishes a girl for a wife and the one who wishes her for only a night both say the words, "I love you." Jesus has told us to discern between the language of seduction and the language of love, and to know the wolves clad in sheepskin from the real sheep. Unfortunately, when the Communists came to power, thousands of priests, pastors, and ministers did not know how to discern between the two voices.

The Communists convened a congress of all Christian bodies in our Parliament building. There were four thousand priests, pastors, and ministers of all denominations-and these men of God chose Joseph Stalin as honorary president of this congress. At the same time he was president of the World Movement of the Godless and a mass murderer of Christians. One after another, bishops and pastors arose and declared that communism and Christianity are fundamentally the same and could coexist. One minister after another said words of praise toward communism and assured the new government of the loyalty of the Church.

My wife and I were present at this congress. Sabina told me, "Richard, stand up and wash away this shame from the face of Christ! They are spitting in His face." I said to her, "If I do so, you lose your husband." She replied, "I don't wish to have a coward as a husband."

Then I arose and spoke to this congress, praising not the murderers of Christians, but Jesus Christ, stating that our loyalty is due first to Him. The speeches at this congress were broadcast and the whole country could hear proclaimed from the rostrum of the Communist Parliament the message of Christ! Afterward I had to pay for this, but it was worthwhile.

Orthodox and Protestant church leaders competed with each other in yielding to communism. An Orthodox bishop put the hammer and sickle on his robes and asked his priests to no longer call him "Your Grace," but "Comrade Bishop." Priests like Patrascoiu and Rosianu were more direct. They became officers of the secret police. Rapp, deputy bishop of the Lutheran church in Romania, began to teach in the theological seminary that God had given three revelations: one through Moses, one through Jesus, and the third through Stalin, the last superseding the one before.

I attended the Congress of the Baptists in the town of Resita-a congress under the Red flag, where the anthem of the Soviet Union had been sung with everyone standing. The president of the Baptists praised Stalin as a great teacher of the Bible and proclaimed that Stalin did nothing but fulfill the commandments of God!

It must be understood that the true Baptists, whom I love very much, did not agree and were very faithful to Christ, suffering much. However, the Communists "elected" their leaders and the Baptists had no choice but to accept them. The same condition exists today in Communist nations among the very top religious leadership of the "official" church. Those who became servants of communism instead of Christ began to denounce the brethren who did not join them.

Today's blog is on Acts 16 (The Second Missionary Journey Begins) verses 25-40: God uses Paul and Silas to bring a jailer to Christ and to impact the lives of prisoners.

Samples from the study:

"You know, I believe that the Lord allowed Paul and Silas to be put in jail just to reach this man. And when you get to heaven and you say, "Do you think that that's fair, Paul, that God allowed you to get beat like that and thrown in prison just so that jailer could get saved? Do you think God's fair doing that to you?" I think as Paul would point out, "Well, there he is over there and there's his family. Not only was he saved, but his whole family. Hey, you bet! I'd gladly do it in order that I might have him as my eternal brother here in God's kingdom." And I really believe that God was just reaching that Philippian jailer. And that was the reason why he allowed Paul to be in prison." (Smith)

"Notice that Paul and Silas comforted the brethren. This poses an interesting question: Up until the time Paul and Silas landed in prison, all they had seen were women. Who, then, were these brethren? I suggest they were the prisoners who, in the dungeon with Paul, were converted by him when they heard his songs of praise. Paul's mindset concerning himself was, `Go ahead. Beat me. Throw me in prison. I've been looking for some men to work with — now I can begin a jail ministry!' But his mindset concerning others was, `I am a Roman citizen and I'll be watching you, so you had better watch your step with my brothers.' When you and I come to the point where we can say, `I don't care what happens to me — but when it comes to my brothers and sisters, I'll go to the wall for them and do whatever I can to cover and protect them,' that's maturity. Most of us protect ourselves and figure whatever happens to others is God's will. Paul did just the opposite. No wonder the Lord could use a man like Paul." (Courson)

Paul stops the jailer from committing suicide.
Why did Paul Silas choose to stay in prison?
Did God use Paul and Silas' witness to draw the Philippian jailer to Himself?
Gospel 101: Paul tells the Philippian jailer how to become adopted into God's family.
Can our salvation be transferred/given to family members?
Visible evidence of true salvation: The Philippian jailer serves Paul and Silas.
Paul and Silas return to the prison, and are set free by the magistrates the next day.
Paul and Silas reveal their Roman citizenship.
Paul and Silas live out loving our neighbors as ourselves.
Paul and Silas leave Philippi on their own terms.

Audio: 8/13/15 - Prayer for Enablement, Pt. 1 (Ephesians 3:14-15) (right click/save as)

Article: Want ‘sustained happiness’? Get religion, study suggests

A study in the American Journal of Epidemiology by researchers at the London School of Economics and Erasmus University Medical Center in the Netherlands found that the secret to sustained happiness lies in participation in religion.

Resources to help us answer tricky questions:

Article: How Can We Justify the Killing in the Old Testament?

When a skeptic examines the Old Testament, it is important for him to remember that God did not approve of everything recorded in the Bible. For example, the Bible records the assassination of a man called Eglon (Judges 3:17–25). This action is neither condemned nor praised; it is simply relayed to us. A large proportion of the acts of violence recorded in the Bible fall into this category. We need to be careful, then, how we read the different accounts of war in the Old Testament.

Article: Aren't Christians Responsible for Most Wars?

I am often asked how I can believe in God when there have been so many wars caused by religion. The implication is that if only people would leave behind their convictions about the existence of a God the world would be a much better, more peaceful place.

Audio: Amy Orr-Ewing: God Of War? (Genocide in the Old Testament?)

Article: Can Faith and Science Coexist? Mathematician and Christian John Lennox Responds

At the intellectual level, if there is no God then I agree with thinkers from Dostoyevsky to Dawkins who say that there is no such thing as evil (e.g. Dawkins’ famous statement: “there is no good…no evil… no justice…DNA just is and we dance to its music”). Rather contradictory then to talk about a problem of evil at all. Secondly, getting rid of God does not get rid of the suffering. In fact, it can make the pain worse since it gets rid of all ultimate hope and justice. The vast majority of people who have ever lived have suffered and not received justice in this life. Since, according to atheism, death is the end, then these people will never receive justice since there is no life to come. Whether God could have made a world in which fire warmed but didn’t burn and there were no destructive earthquakes is difficult. After all, earthquakes are paradoxically essential for the maintenance of life. Certainly, God could have made a world in which there was no moral evil. But there would have been no humans in it--it would be a robotic world. The greatest God-given capacity we humans have is the capacity to love. It inevitably carries with it the capacity to hate. Hence the world presents us all with a mixed picture – beauty and barbed wire.

Article: How can you say that there is a good God of love when…..?

People regularly ask that question when a massive catastrophe like the Japanese earthquake happens, but also in cases of individual tragedy, such as the young Mum dying of cancer and leaving her children motherless. The Christian says in response to that question: believing in a good God does not mean that we believe in a God who shields us from all evil; it does mean believing in a God who loves us and is with us in our sufferings, even through the valley of the shadow of death. Christians are not surprised by earthquakes, famines or wars; on the contrary Jesus, the one who revealed the goodness of God more than anyone else, said that we should expect them. And Jesus warned his hearers that life would often be tough for them. He was right.

Audio: Unbelievable? The case from science for & against God – Peter Atkins vs Zachary Ardern (Saturday 15th August 2015 - 02:30 pm)

Young Christian biologist Zahary Ardern goes up against longstanding atheist scientist Peter Atkins as each present their case for and against God.

Does science reveal a universe best explained as the product of a creative, intelligent, mind or a universe governed by non-rational, unguided principles that fit with atheism?

Get the MP3 (right click/save as)

For Zachary Ardern: http://zacharyardern.wordpress.com/

For Peter Atkins: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Atkins

Article: Engaging the happy pagan interview with Ravi Zacharias

I think the first time I heard that term was about three decades ago. It was from Os Guinness and he talked about the fact that this was the emerging new way of thinking. That is, “I don’t believe anything but I’m very happy. What does it matter?” And of course, it was also along the time of slogans such as “If it feels good, do it” and “Don’t worry, be happy.” Then the whole question came up about what does the so-called happy pagan actually believe, and it was borderline radical scepticism: not really taking any view of the transcendent seriously but just the pursuit of happiness, raw and unbridled. This sometimes moved into radical hedonism, other times just to contentment. So I mean people who are very content with life without bothering about the question of God.

-Minsc-

A parable which has been shared with me.

Mat 13:24

Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field:

Mat 13:25

But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way.

Mat 13:26

But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also.

Mat 13:27

So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares?

Mat 13:28

He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up?

Mat 13:29

But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them.

Mat 13:30

Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

Jesus explanation of the parable.

Mat 13:36

Then Jesus sent the multitude away, and went into the house: and his disciples came unto him, saying, Declare unto us the parable of the tares of the field.

Mat 13:37

He answered and said unto them, He that soweth the good seed is the Son of man;

Mat 13:38

The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one;

Mat 13:39

The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels.

Mat 13:40

As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world.

Mat 13:41

The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;

Mat 13:42

And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Mat 13:43

Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

It may be just what someone needs to hear today.

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"At the dilemma pole are people who are trying to be absolutely true to their rejection of God. A clear example is someone like Nietzsche. The further out he goes, the more you see the dilemma of his position. The diversion pole is people who live inches away from God’s truth, but they don’t want to follow it. So what they do is surround themselves—this is Pascal’s great insight—with busy, entertaining distractions, so they don’t have to think about reality and death, let alone the logic of their assumptions. As psychologists point out today, never has there been a generation with more devices that stop people from thinking—what they call weapons of mass distraction. Most of our contemporaries are living in that diversion pole. They may be absolute pagans, but they don’t think of themselves that way. They are still living off what’s left of the Christian consensus in Western societies, the whiff of an empty bottle." (Os Guinness)

Today's blog is on Acts 17 (Paul in Thessalonica, Berea, and Athens) verses 1-4: Paul uses reason and logic to reach the lost.

Samples from the study:

“The Greek word translated ‘reasoned’ is the root for our English word dialogue. There was exchange, questions and answers. He dialogued with them ‘from the Scriptures.’” (Hughes)

"As seen so beautifully in the ministry of Paul, the key to opening the Scriptures is always to look for, talk about, and focus on the Person of Jesus Christ. Whether sharing with children, talking to a neighbor, or teaching a Bible study — the key to opening mens' hearts is to look not for principles of parenting or methods of marital communication, but for Jesus Christ. It's not philosophy, gang. It's not principles. It's a Person. You will be a wonderful Bible student and an excellent Bible teacher if you learn this simple lesson: Talk about Jesus. Look for Jesus. He is the Key to opening Scripture." (Courson)

"Evangelism is presenting and sharing the good news with people who know they are in a bad situation, so it really is good news. But with more and more people indifferent or hostile, we need that ground-clearing exercise which is apologetics. We’ve got to start further back. We have to see that it’s not just ideas that are shaping us; it’s modernity itself. Even today most apologetics deals with ideas—modernism, postmodernism, relativism, secularism. I would argue we need not only to do that, but also to look at modernity—the whole constellation of modern things that come from the industrial revolution and globalization, things such as smart phones that are shaping our thinking just as much as ideas. We have to be persuasive and discerning on a much wider front. Take for example the way that consumerism turns everything that is authoritative into something that’s a mere preference. The individual consumer is set up as the chooser doing the choosing, and the content of the choice is virtually irrelevant; it’s just a matter of preference. That kind of relativism isn’t taken from postmodern philosophy so much as it’s built into our supermarket style of living." (Os Guinness)

Paul arrives in Thessalonica.
Paul preaches in Thessalonica over three Sabbaths.
What does it mean to reason with someone from the Bible?
A common mistake of some apologists.
What is the key to talking to someone about God?
The gospel message is received by people of various nationalities and social positions.
What is the difference between persuasion and arguing about ideas?

Article: The Complexity of Contextual Communication

All presenters of the Gospel must heed this educator’s caution. Often audiences are subjected to a barrage of ideas that betray more the pet peeve or preoccupation of the speaker than they do the intention of the text. Any text wrenched from its context is in danger of becoming a pretext. Which of us is not familiar with the discomforting ploy often used in prayer meetings where the object of a prayer is to stab the conscience of someone within earshot, rather than to touch the heart of God? As certain as we are that the intention of such a prayer is woefully wrong, so equally certain we may be of the fallacy of an exposition that has nothing to do with the text.

Article: Learning To Think Critically

I like to think of critical thinking as an analytical process of evaluating the truth component of the statement or thought you are processing. That has to be done. If you are looking at a worldview, any assertion, or any challenge to your own worldview, you have to evaluate it on the basis of truth, the coherence of what is being claimed, and then the implications of what this means for your personal life. So first there is an analytical component to it—the truth component, the synthesizing component. And second, at the end of it there must be an application or an imperative component to it. We must think critically especially in defending our worldview or in challenging a counter perspective. So critical analysis of worldviews is what critical thinking is all about.

Article: The Golden Key Soul Freedom for All

We are now seven billion humans jostling together on our tiny planet earth, up from a mere two and a half billion in the lifetime of many living today. Small and insignificant perhaps in contrast to the vastness of the cosmos, we face a simple but profound challenge: How do we live with our deepest differences, especially when those differences are religious and ideological, and very especially when those differences concern matters of our common public life? In short, how do we create a global public square and make the world safer for diversity? The answer to this titanic challenge requires an answer to the prior question of who we humans think we are, and then attending closely to the dictates of our humanity. Put differently, we face a triple imperative that will be a key to our human future: First, to see whether we have reason enough to believe in the measureless dignity and worth of every last one of us. Second, to know whether we can discover a way to live with the deepest differences that divide us. Third, to find out whether we are able to settle our deliberations and debates in public life through reasoned persuasion rather than force, intimidation and violence—even in the age of the new media and a global resurgence of religion.

Apologetic lectures that can be streamed or downloaded:

Michael Ramsden: Do You Know God?
Michael Ramsden: Doubt
Michael Ramsden: Ends and Means
Michael Ramsden: Is Christianity just a matter of convenience?
Michael Ramsden: Looking for Justice
Michael Ramsden: What it means to love God with our minds (Acts 17:1-4)

"Michael Ramsden is the International Director of RZIM for Europe, the Middle East and Africa and has been part of RZIM since its foundation in Europe in 1997. Michael is also joint Director of the Oxford Centre for Christian Apologetics and Honorary Fellow at Wycliffe Hall, Oxford. Michael was brought up in the Middle East and later moved to England where he worked for the Lord Chancellor’s department investing funds. While doing research in Law and Economics at Sheffield University, he taught Moral Philosophy and lectured for the International Seminar for Jurisprudence and Human Rights in Strasbourg."

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

“The indissoluble link between prideful self-love, aversion to truth, self-deception and hypocrisy is one of the great themes of the Bible—for example, the drumbeat repetition that “the way of a fool is right in his own eyes” (Prov 12:15). Sinful minds therefore claim both self-rightness in terms of truth and self-righteousness in terms of goodness.” (Os Guinness)

Today's blog is on Acts 17 (Paul in Thessalonica, Berea, and Athens) verses 5-10a: God’s work in Thessalonica is attacked by envious Jews.

Samples from the study:

"Envy is the art of counting the other fellow's blessings instead of your own." (Harold Coffin)

"The charge against Paul and Silas was treason. Church historians record six million Christians were killed in the first two and a half centuries for refusing to say, `Caesar is Lord.'" (Courson)

"Even the unfounded accusation of political revolution had a compliment hidden inside. Even the evil men from the marketplace understood that Christians taught that Jesus was a king, that He had the right to rule over His people. This is a message that seems to be missed on many churchgoers today." (Guzik)

An example of how envy led to mob violence against Paul and Silas.
Why self-deception causes people to hate Jesus and his followers.
Why were Paul and Silas accused of treason?
Paul and Silas leave Thessalonica by night.

Article: Sounding Out the Idols of Church Growth

For all who are committed to church growth and eager to use the best of modernity, it is sobering to realize the lengths of God's iconoclasm. As the Scriptures show, God is not only against the idolizing of alien gods, God is against His own gifts when idolized. The fate of the tabernacle and the temple are both a warning to mega-churches built not on rock but sand.

Audio: North Africa: Preparing for Persecution

“Brother Jay” continues the conversation about working in North Africa, including the biggest challenge that new Muslim converts to Christianity face, and how they prepare Christians—from their first days walking with Christ—to face persecution and rejection. Jay also shares ways that American Christians can reach out to Muslims who live right here in the United States. Then we’ll talk with Christian recording artist Nicole C. Mullen about her love for VOM’s book, “Jesus Freaks,” how she prays for persecuted believers and why she shares the stories of the faith of persecuted Christians with her children.

Short videos by Professor Alister McGrath:

Science, Faith, and God: The Big Questions - An Introduction
Is Faith Rational?
What Are Apologetics
Faith in The Modern World
Is the History of Faith Important?
Does Evolution Present a Problem to Faith?
Does Faith Need Explanation?

Alister McGrath is the Gresham Professor of Divinity, the Andreos Idreos Professor of Science and Religion at the University of Oxford, and one of the world’s most respected theologians.

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"For no one who reads the bible carefully or who reflects on their own experience of seeking to share the gospel of Jesus today can avoid a blunt conclusion: There are all too many people who do not want to believe what we share or even to hear what we have to say, and our challenge is to help them see it despite themselves." (Os Guinness)

Today's blog is on Acts 17 (Paul in Thessalonica, Berea, and Athens) verses 10b-15: The Biblical remedy for avoiding deception in the body of Christ.

Samples from the study:

"I have heard more junky garbage on television being passed off for doctrine by some of these evangelists that it's just disheartening. For people take some of these weird, far out ideas that these guys say and they just run with them. They don't search the scriptures to see if it be so. "After all, he said the Greek and I don't know Greek, so it must so." (Smith)

"The Bible does not mean just what anyone wants it to mean. There may be many people trying to twist the Scriptures to their own ends, but they are wrongly dividing the word of truth. We can't just pick the interpretation that seems most comfortable to us, and claim it as true - it must be rightly dividing the word of truth, and it must be consistent with what the Bible says in the specific passage and with the entire message of the Scriptures." (Guzik)

"The Bereans listened to Paul as he taught in the synagogue. Every day, they searched the Scriptures, saying, `Let's check out the teaching Paul's giving; let's consider what he's saying as it relates to the Scriptures.' And because the Bereans searched the Scriptures daily, they have been noted throughout the ages as being noble (more fair-minded)." (Courson)

"In homes where Christians are not violently punished for owning a Bible, in countries where it is not a crime to read these sacred texts, it is easy to dismiss the wonder of a God who speaks. As countless translations continue to emerge and divide its readers, it is easy to overlook the authority of words that are strikingly reliable as historical documents, words which continue to come into new generations and change cultures with new influence. Read aloud or studied silently, God is still speaking, crying out for ears to hear and hearts to search. And Christ himself, the living Word, rises from the pages, revealing that it is always far more than a book." (RZIM)

Why does God want believers diligently verifying what they are taught at church by confirming it with scripture?
Why do televangelist's easily deceive Christians?
Why are believers commanded to rightly divide God's Word?
What are the benefits being a diligent student of God's Word?
Paul is forced to leave Berea.

8/16/15 - Revelation 19:1-10
8/16/15 - Ezra 3-4
8/16/15 - Fellowship of ... Sufferings (Phi 3:10-11)
8/16/15 - Jesus is Coming Again (Ac 1:9-12)
8/16/15 - Luke 12:41-59
8/16/15 - Genesis 13-14
8/16/15 - Thugs, Sweat & Fears (Nehemiah 6:1-19)
8/16/15 - Luke 7:36-50
8/16/15 - The Prophet, Joel (Selected Scriptures)
8/16/15 - Introduction to Joel
8/16/15 - John 17:20-23

Article: Unfolding Narrative

This question of our subjective experience of time is one that the ancient philosophers and early Christian leaders pondered. Their philosophical and theological musings bequeathed to us many perplexities regarding the human experience of time. Saint Augustine, for example, wrestled with the fleeting character of our human temporal experience. No sooner do we apprehend the present than it has receded into the past. He wrote, “We cannot rightly say what time is, except by reason of its impending state of not-being.” Regardless of our perceptual and philosophical difficulties with understanding the nature of time, what seems most crucial for our lives is the significance of events that happen in time, moment by moment, hour by hour, and day by day. Seeking to reclaim this emphasis, theologians have tried to understand the nature of time by what takes place in time—a narrative of unfolding events. These theological discussions involve God’s engagement with time. Is God a wholly atemporal being, outside of time and history? Or is God genuinely engaged with time and revealed through an unfolding story of historical disclosure?

Article: An Uncompromising Faith Lived Out with Grace

In apologetics and evangelism one thing is certain: it’s much easier to preach it than it is to live it. One reason is that sometimes there are just no words to describe the situation in which you find yourself. I think for many of us, that is the world that we’re experiencing right now. We’re simply struggling to find some kind of points of contact. It is really difficult. The world is changing rapidly and that’s disorientating.

Article: The world's most astonished atheist

When the United States bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki seventy years ago this month, Joy Davidman—best known today as the wife of C.S. Lewis—was in a vulnerable way.

Mariolee

Just wanted to say although there aren't usually many replies to your daily posts TheGameAnalyst, I appreciate every single one of them and at least scan through them everyday. Thank you so much!

Just wanted to say although there aren't usually many replies to your daily posts TheGameAnalyst, I appreciate every single one of them and at least scan through them everyday. Thank you so much!

Agreed, even if I might not read every single one of them, I appreciate what you are doing, TheGameAnalyst.

Also, now that I'm posting. This is going to be a day of big things for me and my wife. Prayers would not hurt, I think. :)

Mariolee

Agreed, even if I might not read every single one of them, I appreciate what you are doing, TheGameAnalyst.

Also, now that I'm posting. This is going to be a day of big things for me and my wife. Prayers would not hurt, I think. :)

Haha we'll pray for you.

Posted an interview on GAF from GQ with Stephen Colbert that I thought was really enlightening on his perspectives on life, including religion.

For the whole interview check it out here: http://www.gq.com/story/stephen-colbert-gq-cover-story
For the more spiritual parts, check out this article: http://thinkchristian.reframemedia.com/stephen-colberts-theology-of-suffering

Chaplain

Quote of the day from the book Tortured for Christ. True stories of what happened to our brothers and sisters in Christ under Communist rule in Romania (starting in 1944):

I remember Piotr (Peter). No one knows in what Russian prison he disappeared. He was so young-perhaps twenty. He had come to Romania with the Russian army. He was converted in an underground meeting and asked me to baptize him. After his baptism, I asked him to tell us what verse of the Bible had impressed him most and had influenced him to come to Christ. He said that at one of our secret meetings, I had read Luke 24, the story of Jesus meeting the two disciples who went toward Emmaus. When they drew near the village, "He [Jesus] indicated that He would have gone farther" (Luk_24:28). Piotr said, "I wondered why Jesus said this. He surely wanted to stay with His disciples. Why then did He say that He wished to go further?" My explanation was that Jesus is polite. He wished to be very sure that He was desired. When He saw that He was welcomed, He gladly entered the house with them. The Communists are impolite. They enter by violence into our hearts and minds. They force us to listen to them from morning to late in the night. They do it through their schools, radio, newspapers, posters, movies, atheistic meetings, and everywhere we turn. We have to listen continuously to their godless propaganda whether we like it or not. Jesus respects our freedom. He gently knocks at the door of our heart. "Jesus has won me by His politeness," said Piotr. This stark contrast between communism and Christ had convinced him. He was not the only Russian to have been impressed by this feature in Jesus' character. (As a pastor, I had never thought about it this way.) After his conversion, Piotr repeatedly risked his liberty and life to smuggle Christian literature and help for the Underground Church in Romania to Russia. In the end he was caught. The last I heard of him, he was still in prison. Did he die? Is he already in heaven or is he continuing the good fight on earth? I don't know. Only God knows where he is today. Like Piotr, many others were not just converted. We should never stop at having won a soul for Christ. By this, we have done only half the work. Every soul won for Christ must be made to be a soul-winner. The Russians were not only converted, but became "missionaries" in the Underground Church. They were reckless and daring for Christ, always saying that it was the least they could do for Christ who died for them.

Today's blog is on Acts 17 (Paul in Thessalonica, Berea, and Athens) verses 16-21: God’s work through Paul in Athens to convict the Stoics and Epicureans of their compromise (part 1).

Samples from the study:

"For here, in the intellectual center of the world, were over 3,000 altars and temples built to different deities. The Temple dedicated to Aphrodite, with temple prostitutes abounding, was man's attempt to justify sexual promiscuity. The Temple of Zeus was for those with a `Clint Eastwood Make My Day Mentality' who were into savagery. The Temple of Bacchus was for those who enjoyed alcohol. Paul's heart was stirred within him, but notice — he didn't mobilize people politically to campaign against idolatry; nor did he gather a group of people to take a stand culturally. What did he do? Read on . . ." (Courson)

"The Epicureans pursued pleasure as the chief purpose in life, and valued most of all the pleasure of a peaceful life, free from pain, disturbing passions and superstitious fears (including the fear of death). They did not deny the existence of gods, but believed that they had nothing to do with man." (Guzik)

"The degrading of the Epicurean philosophy ended in the pantheism, the worship of everything, anything. The Stoics said that the chief good was virtue. But a man cannot know virtue who is emotionally involved. Therefore, you are not to have feelings, and they sought to become totally unfeeling. To not feel pain, not feel grief, not feel joy, not feel anything, to just be stoic about everything, untouched, unmoved in your emotions about anything. And this lead to an atheism. These are the two philosophies that Paul encountered in Athens." (Smith)

"Broadly speaking, men and women seem to adopt one of two views when it comes to destiny: they either approach life with a stoical sense of resignation, taking comfort from the idea that they are fate’s pawns and that life is beyond their control, or they believe that they shape their own destinies, both in the practical and ultimate sense. Christianity offers middle ground between these two extremes. Christians ought to proceed with an ultimate destination in mind, namely, seeking the kingdom of God as the goal and orientation of their daily lives. With this goal, our daily choices take on a new urgency and importance because they lead us to an ultimate destination of life or death. It is indeed God’s kingdom and God's righteousness that should orient our lives, as a compass orients the traveler." (RZIM)

Why was Paul provoked to preach the gospel when he saw people were slaves to idolatry?
How parents should talk to their kids about the things of God.
Why was the city of Athens the Oxford or Cambridge of Paul's time?
A short summary of Epicurean and Stoic philosophies Paul encountered in of the city of Athens.
The novelty his message earns Paul an invitation to preach at the intellectual center of the city, the Areopagus.

Article: Apologetics : Why your church needs it

During a conversation at a major apologetics event recently held in a large church, an attendee asked me what “apologetics” meant. I explained to her that apologetics is the branch of Christian theology that seeks to address the intellectual obstacles that keep people from taking the Gospel of Jesus Christ seriously. I gave her some examples of questions that are important in the context of apologetics. For example, why does evil exist if the world was created by an all-good, all-powerful God? How do we know Christianity is true in light of the numerous religions that exist in the world? I finished my answer to her by quoting 1 Peter 3:15, which instructs us to be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks for the reason for the hope that is within us. Her reaction was surprising. “Are you sure the Bible says that?” she asked. I assured her that it does. I explained to her that the word translated “answer” in that verse is the Greek word apologia that means “defense” and from which we get the English word apologetics. She had been a faithful member of a prominent evangelical church for most of her life, and yet she did not understand the meaning or importance of apologetics in the life of the local church.

Scholarly essay: Introducing the Athenians to God: Paul’s Failed Apologetic in Acts 17?

The purpose of this honorific essay is to refute any such suggestion of failure on Paul’s part in Athens, or that Acts 17 provides no biblical pattern for our contemporary interactions with the philosophical or religious views of others for gospel presentations. A biblical approach to Christian engagement with the non-Christian world requires a number of clear elements.

Lectures that can be streamed or downloaded:

Tom Price: Persuasive Evangelism

Tom Price is an Academic Tutor at the Oxford Centre for Christian Apologetics and an apologist for RZIM. He studied Philosophy at university and later completed an MA in Christian Apologetics. In recent years Tom has spoken at universities and churches in Hong Kong, Europe, South Africa, USA and other places across the world. In the UK, he has provided teaching for major conferences such as Keswick, Spring Harvest and BMS Catalyst. He lectures for HTB School of Theology and is regularly involved in outreach alongside OICCU and other Christian Unions.

Os Guinness: Fools for Christ
Os Guinness: How can we be sure about anything?
Os Guinness: Why an unexamined life is not worth living
Os Guinness: You Only Live Once (if then)

Os Guinness is an author, a social critic, and member of the RZIM speaking team. He completed his undergraduate degree at the University of London and his DPhil in the social sciences from Oriel College, Oxford. Before moving to the United States in 1984, Os was a freelance reporter with the BBC. Since then he has been a Guest Scholar at the Woodrow Wilson Center for International Studies, a Guest Scholar and Visiting Fellow at the Brookings Institution, and Senior Fellow at the Trinity Forum and the EastWest Institute in New York. He is currently a senior fellow at the Oxford Centre for Christian Apologetics and lives with his wife, Jenny, in the Washington, DC, area.

Amy Orr-Ewing: The Nature of Truth
Amy Orr-Ewing: Reasons for God
Amy Orr-Ewing: Is Christianity Sexist?
Amy Orr-Ewing: Does Jesus Turn A Generation Away from God?
Amy Orr-Ewing: Conversational Apologetics

Amy Orr-Ewing is EMEA Director for RZIM, and Director of Programmes for the Oxford Centre for Christian Apologetics (OCCA). Amy is a passionate exponent of a rational Christian response to many of the pressing cultural issues of the day, bringing her formidable theological knowledge to bear on a wide variety of subjects. She gained a first class degree in Theology at Christ Church, Oxford University, before receiving a Master’s in Theology from King’s College London. She is currently working on her Doctoral Thesis at Oxford University looking at the work of Dorothy L Sayers.

I am blessed that I can help both of you and all the other saints on GAF grow in Christ, sharing resources that will equip each of us to share his gospel with those that do not know our Lord. ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom