• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christianity |OT| The official thread of hope, faith and infinite love.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garryk

Ok its becoming clear that the Christian denomination similarities/differences conversation cannot be had in this community, so I'm gonna leave it to my priest to clarify.

Sorry I asked. I should've known I wouldnt get a straight answer on NeoGAF without some argument breaking out.

I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned, but Matthew 23:9 states "And do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven."

That's always been the beginning of any doubts I have had about the Catholic Church.

I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned, but Matthew 23:9 states "And do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven."

That's always been the beginning of any doubts I have had about the Catholic Church.
Ugh. Dear Lord, I was right, this is just a Protestant haven of bad apologetics. Definitely done now.

Unsubscibed.

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"We make our earnest prayer that Thou wilt keep the United States in Thy Holy protection; and Thou wilt incline the hearts of the Citizens to cultivate a spirit of subordination and obedience to Government; and entertain a brotherly affection and love for one another and for their fellow Citizens of the United States at large, and particularly for their brethren who have served in the Field. And finally that Thou wilt most graciously be pleased to dispose us all to do justice, to love mercy, and to demean ourselves with that Charity, humility, and pacific temper of mind which were the Characteristics of the Divine Author of our blessed Religion, and without a humble imitation of whose example in these things we can never hope to be a happy nation. Grant our supplication, we beseech Thee, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen." (President George Washington)

The most current blog is on Acts 9 (The Conversion of Saul of Tarsus) verses 17-19: Saul is empowered by God for his first assignment in ministry.

Samples from the study:

“It is often said that Saul was converted on the road to Damascus. Strictly speaking, this is not the fact. His conversion began in his encounter with the law but it was not accomplished until the gospel entered his heart by faith, and that did not occur on the road, but in Damascus.” (Lenski)

"Saul’s conversion reminds us that God finds some who, by all appearance, are not looking for Him at all. Seeing how God reached Saul encourages us to believe that God can reach the people in our life that we think are very far from Him. We often give up on some people and think they will never come to Jesus; but the example of Saul shows God can reach anyone." (Guzik)

Other things discussed in greater detail...

Ananias' amazing courage as he welcomes Saul into the family of Christ.
Saul is born again and receives the Holy Spirit.
Why did Saul want to be baptized?
Real transformation will always lead a believer to surround themselves with other believers.
Ga5.22-23

Why is Saul's conversion a template for all people that Jesus saves?
What is the paradox of the sovereignty of God and the responsibility of man?
Saul preaches powerfully in Damascus that Jesus is God in human flesh.
Why were the Jews astonished by Saul's preaching?
Is serving others a prerequisite to God increasing our strength?

As for the second link, I'm honestly sad to see this narrative here on gaf. Like, obviously it's not as bad as outright hate against homosexuals, but it's still narrative that misunderstands people's sexuality and does heavy psychological damage to a lot of gay people.

Did you read the article?

I'd also add that I really don't like this narrative "a lot of people think sexuality defines us so obviously they're in favor of gays having sex". I think a lot of straight people might not even understand how big a part sexuality really is of each of us. It's part of our lives every single day, whether we are single, dating or married. That smile you gave to an attractive woman? That flirting look you give to your co-worker? That handholding you do with loved one? That kiss you gave to your wife before she went to work? Sexuality isn't just about having sex. It relates to a lot of small things in your every day life. Having sex is just one part of it. Our sexuality is a core part of us all (apart from asexuals).

Telling a gay person not to have sex is telling that person "there's just something so wrong deep inside of you that you can not be yourself and express yourself as you are". It's incredibly damaging and I wonder if people thinking the "love the sinner hate the sin" thing in this case have realized that they contribute to millions of people around the world feeling alone, left out and sick and suicidal which in the worst case scenario (which really is far, far too often for gays), ends up in a suicide.

I will address your comment by first addressing what is ultimately at the root your statement: that morals are subjective.

The Judeo-Christian claim is that moral absolutes do exist. Society has been attacking these claims (for a very long time now) by attempting to relativize absolute claims, turning them around by declaring that relative values are absolute (which is a contradiction if moral absolutes do not exist). Herbert Butterfield (Regius Professor of History and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Cambridge) wrote an amazing analyses in 1949 on human nature in the aftermath of World War 2: the attack to change the belief that morals are not absolute but subjective:

…it seems to me that Christianity alone attacks the seat of evil in the kind of world we have been considering … It addresses itself precisely to the crust of self-righteousness which, by the nature of its teaching, it has to dissolve before it can do anything else with man. The more human beings are … incapable … of any profound self-analysis, the more we shall find that self-righteousness hardens, so that it is just the thick-skinned who are more sure of being right than anyone else … At its worst it brings us to that mythical messianism – that messianic hoax – of the twentieth century which comes perilously near to the thesis: “Just one little war more against the last remaining enemies of righteousness, and then the world will be cleansed, and we can start building Paradise.” (p. 41)

Going even deeper, Oxford professor John Lennox explains the ramifications of societies bent towards the belief that morals are relative (an absolute claim).

"The wave of relativism now swamping Western thinking has increased the pressure to drop certain words from our languages and replace them with others that drive forward the secularist agenda of deconstructing the very nature of human beings and the society we live in. For instance, some words tend to fall foul of political correctness: truth, commandment, dogma, faith, conscience, morality, sin, chastity, charity, justice, authority, husband wife; whereas a host of other words and concepts take center-stage: rights, non-discrimination, choice, gender, equality, plurality, cultural diversity. These profound changes arise from a postmodern deconstruction of truth, which involves removing truth from the objective realm to the subjective, and thus effectively relativizing it. Cardinal Ratzinger, warned of a "dictatorship of relativism"...he said: "We are building a dictatorship of relativism that does not recognize anything as definitive and whose ultimate goal consists solely of one's own ego and desires." The pressure to conform will be felt the moment one questions any aspect of this relativism - that all lifestyles must be approved, for instance. The right to choose trumps everything else, including tradition and divine revelation. It is the one absolute in a sea of relativism, however self-contradictory that may be." (Oxford professor John Lennox)

It is important to understand the Judeo-Christian view of absolutes because they are the filter by which Christians see human sexuality. One worldview declares that moral absolutes apply to human relationships, the other worldview says that moral absolutes do not exist or apply to human relationships. Both worldviews start with different presuppositions. The issue that you brought up deals with the question of identity. The Christian worldview declares that "who we are" and "what we do" are two separate things. Your worldview declares that "who we are" and "what we do" are one in the same. This is why we see things so differently.

Do you see what I am saying?

I wish it was so simple.

My priest dodged the question. I'm back to square one.

Can anyone please help me? Another forum, maybe?

I'm not super knowledgeable about catholic teachings, but if you have questions about how things are teached in evanchelic Lutheran circles, you can PM me.

Mariolee

I wish it was so simple.

My priest dodged the question. I'm back to square one.

Can anyone please help me? Another forum, maybe?

Haven't tried it myself, but maybe try CARM? I myself despite my current struggles in faith still align with Protestant Presbyterian beliefs, so I'm not sure what the best Catholic resources are. I myself am not too knowledgable on Catholicism and Catholics, but from what I've seen they seem like some of the most intellectual denominations. I'm actually excited to someday start reading NT Wright's The Resurrection of the Son of God.

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"For 27 years, the International Bulletin of Missionary Research has published an annual Status of Global Mission report, which attempts to quantify the world Christian reality, comparing Christianity's circumstances to those of other faiths, assaying how Christianity's various expressions are faring when measured against the recent (and not-so-recent) past. The report is unfailingly interesting, sometimes jarring, and occasionally provocative. The provocation in the 2011 report involves martyrdom. For purposes of research the report defines "martyrs" as "believers in Christ who have lost their lives, prematurely, in situations of witness, as a result of human hostility." The report estimates that there were, on average, 270 new Christian martyrs ever 24 hours decade, such that “the number of martyrs [in the period 2000-2010] was approximately one million." (Source)

Mt5.12

Today's blog is on Acts 9 (The Conversion of Saul of Tarsus) verses 23-25: Jews plot to kill Paul because he (Paul) proved that Jesus is the Messiah.

Samples from the study:

"The apostles’ words do not take away the injustice of brutal murder. But they do assuage the shock of its occurrence. Jesus told his followers to expect persecution; in fact, he said they would be blessed by it. “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you” (Matthew 5:11-12). Peter’s words encourage the suffering not to see their painful trials as strange or out of the ordinary, but as something that further marks them as believers and unites them in even greater intimacy with their leader. Persecution may be always jarring, unfair, or lamentable, but it is not strange when it happens to those who follow Christ. Perhaps it is stranger when it is not happening. Mark Twain once said, “Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it’s time to pause and reflect.” (Carattini)

"We read in Hebrews that faith and faithfulness lead both to great victories in his name — kingdoms were conquered, justice was enforced, promises were obtained, mouths of lions were stopped, the power of fire was quenched, the edge of the sword was escaped from, foreign armies were put to flight, and women received back their dead by resurrection — and also to great cost, as the world would see it — some were tortured, and others suffered mocking, flogging, chains, and imprisonment. They were stoned, they were sawn in two, they were killed with the sword. Truly they were those of whom the world was not worthy. So let us set aside any thoughts we may have about being able to witness without cost. There are both great miracles (escaping the sword) and great martyrdoms (many were killed by the sword). There is no contradiction here — just the certain knowledge that we are called to give our lives in his service and will one day be called home. This is not a unique time in history. There is always a cost to reaching people with the good news about Jesus. It is a cost that perhaps many who identify with Jesus may not ultimately be prepared to pay. But this is the context within which the gospel took root and spread. Preaching a message of repentance and faith has always been challenging. It has always required courage." (Ramsden)

Why did Paul spend three years in Damascus and Arabia?
Why should Christians rejoice when they are persecuted and hated?
Why does Jesus promise us that we will be persecuted for following Him?
Will God always deliver us from persecution?

Articles on the History and Authenticity of the Bible:

Introduction — Part One
Introduction — Part Two
Miracles
Scripture Cannot Be Broken
Dead Sea Scrolls & Aramaic Targums
Greek Translations
N.T. Manuscripts
New Testament Languages and the Apocrypha
The Apocrypha and the Catholic Church
The Apocrypha and the Bible
Inspiration — Part One
Inspiration — Part Two
Difficulties of Inspiration — Part One
Difficulties of Inspiration — Part Two
Review and Issues of Canonicity
The Inerrancy of the Bible
Manuscript Evidence
Greek Translations
English Versions
Interpretation of the Bible — Part One
Interpretation of the Bible — Part Two
Interpretation of the Bible — Part Three
Culture
Symbolic Language
Course Review

Audio: Sharing the Truth, Any Way Possible

Before sunrise, a North Korean Christian seals his small, secret radio into a plastic bag and buries it in the ground. He will dig it up late that night to listen again to Biblical teaching while trying to avoid the prying eyes of his neighbors and his government. At the same time, a radio transmitter built by Adolf Hitler’s propaganda machine broadcasts Jesus’ love on a million watts of broadcast power, and a Christian in the Middle East secretly downloads the Gospel of John onto his phone. TWR is using radio waves, smart phones and internet connections to share the gospel message around the world, and The Voice of the Martyrs is partnering to provide content to strengthen those serving Christ under persecution. Learn more about this important work this week on The Voice of the Martyrs Radio Network.

Audio: John Lennox: Going Against the Flow (lessons from the book of Daniel for the church today)

In Against the Flow: The Inspiration of Daniel in an Age of Relativism, Lennox defends the truth of the Bible and that truth’s implications in a skeptical world. The book of Daniel shows that God is involved in human history, a statement of immense import. Then why did God not stop the fall of Jerusalem, which Daniel experienced as a youth? One of the main foci of Daniel’s work is grappling with the moral difficulties history presents, understanding the idea that God has individual plans for those who trust him and for all of history, and that what seems like harm from our point of view looks different from God’s eternal perspective. This also leads to an understanding of Daniel’s visions in which evil is shown to prevail at times. Knowing that God not only knows this but has planned it can bring great comfort to his suffering people.

Audio: Michael Ramsden: Happy as I am; Who Needs God Anyway? (Luke 7)
Audio: Michael Ramsden: Is faith really blind? #1
Audio: Michael Ramsden: Is faith really blind? #2

Van

Christian-Gaf, I've found a church and absolutely love it! it reminds of of home but not to much, and it's what I was looking for! to those who prayed for me, thanks!

AWESOME awesome science videos that I found on youtube

Check This Out: Evolution Refuted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWecPwrQv2c&list=PL1v9pqs4w1mxRVplL9I5Pq_qQH9jy8b1V&index=1

Check This Out: The Origin of Races
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZSfqXDOyck

The Moral Argument
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxiAikEk2vU

Check This Out: The Nature of Science
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1Z0PAqgjWo&index=5&list=PL1v9pqs4w1mxRVplL9I5Pq_qQH9jy8b1V

Check This Out: Radiometric Dating
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6oy3QVRg-E

Check This Out: Fossils & the Flood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqHTCKlJpsY

Check This Out: Pain & Suffering
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5Q0cx2fNhw

Honestly if I was in the science realm I would at least take my time to look test hypothesis with different world views and let them stand on their own.

Best regards,
Dragonz dogma

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"God is a great deliver - but he will not deliver us from having to make our own decisions. This is not because he is impotent but because he wants us to be strong. The development of our character depends crucially on the fact that we make responsible decisions before God for ourselves. For God to "decide" for us would be to de-humanize us and essentially turn us into amoral robots." (Lennox)

Today's blog is on Acts 9 (The Conversion of Saul of Tarsus) verses 26-31: Saul with the Christians at Jerusalem & The health of the churches in the whole region.

Samples from the study:

"At this point, some people might turn their back on Jesus Christ. They might say, “I’ve been serving the Lord for three years, preaching Jesus Christ, enduring assassination attempts and death threats. Now you don’t want to accept me as a Christian? This is the love of Jesus? Forget it!” But Saul had a greater heart of love for Jesus and Jesus’ followers. It no doubt hurt, but he understood that the disciples in Jerusalem remembered the Christians Saul killed and persecuted. If the disciples in Jerusalem lacked a little in love, Saul added a little more love to make up for it." (Guzik)

"Through prisons and angry crowds, the book of Acts traces the birth and growth of the early church. The book begins with a few hundred believers in Christ and a collective will to be his witnesses in Jerusalem, in Judea and Samaria, and to all the ends of the earth. Opposition to this witness is described at every turn. Persecution, beatings, death, and imprisonment all threatened the voice of the early church and ultimately the spread of the gospel itself. But in spite of all this, Luke epitomizes the history of the early church and the spread of the gospel by boldly describing the progression of God’s kingdom as going forth without so much as the slightest of hindrances. The Good News of God to all the world, he seems to want the world to remember, goes forth in power." (Carattini)

Why did the disciples in Jerusalem not trust Saul?
How should we treat people who do not love us?
An example of a person loving as Jesus loved.
Did Saul receive the gospel by divine revelation?
Saul continues to be persecuted for sharing Jesus with the lost.
Why did it take 8-12 years before he into full-time ministry?
Ac9.31

Why does God's church always grow when it is persecuted?

Articles:

Spaghetti Monsters and One Less God
“Jesus’ Followers Fabricated the Stories and Sayings of Jesus”
21 Coptic Christians: Calling on Yesua for Strength that Never Drains Away
Why trust the Bible?
The Golden Key Soul Freedom for All
Sellouts and Revolutionaries
A Servant Like This

New sermons (right click/save as):

6/28/15 - Answering The Culture
6/28/15 - Your Joy Maybe Full
6/28/15 - When Worlds Collide
6/28/15 - Apologetics
7/5/15 - Ps 84:1-7
7/5/15 - Phi 2:1-11
7/5/15 - Luke 10:1-42
7/5/15 - Genesis 6:14-7
7/5/15 - Seeing Jesus (Revelation 1:9-20)
7/5/15 - Our Fathers, America, & God (Selected Scriptures)
7/5/15 - Reproach for Christ (1 Peter 4:4-16)
7/5/15 - 2 Timothy 4:6-8

Videos: Facing the Canon with Michael Ramsden

AWESOME awesome science videos that I found on youtube

Check This Out: Evolution Refuted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWecPwrQv2c&list=PL1v9pqs4w1mxRVplL9I5Pq_qQH9jy8b1V&index=1

Check This Out: The Origin of Races
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZSfqXDOyck

The Moral Argument
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxiAikEk2vU

Check This Out: The Nature of Science
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1Z0PAqgjWo&index=5&list=PL1v9pqs4w1mxRVplL9I5Pq_qQH9jy8b1V

Check This Out: Radiometric Dating
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6oy3QVRg-E

Check This Out: Fossils & the Flood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqHTCKlJpsY

Check This Out: Pain & Suffering
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5Q0cx2fNhw

Honestly if I was in the science realm I would at least take my time to look test hypothesis with different world views and let them stand on their own.

Best regards,
Dragonz dogma

Those are not "science videos".

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

'If all that exists in Nature, the great mindless interlocking event, if our own deepest convictions are merely the by-products of an irrational process, then clearly there is not the slightest ground for supposing that our sense of fitness and our consequent faith in uniformity tell us anything about a reality external to ourselves. Our convictions are simply a fact about us – like the colour of our hair. If Naturalism is true we have no reason to trust our conviction that Nature is uniform. It can be trusted only if quite a different metaphysic is true. If the deepest thing in reality, the Fact which is the source of all other facthood, is a thing in some degree like ourselves – if it is a Rational Spirit and we derive our rational spirituality from It – then indeed our conviction can be trusted. Our repugnance to disorder is derived from Nature’s Creator and ours' (C.S. Lewis, Miracles, p.109).

Today's blog is on Acts 9 (The Conversion of Saul of Tarsus) verses 32-43: God works miracles through the apostle Peter.

Samples from the study:

Lk1.37

"God is not a prisoner of the laws. They are not like the laws of the United States. God, who set the regularities there, can himself cause an event. What is to stop Him doing that? What Christians are claiming about the resurrection of Jesus is not that he rose by some natural processes. No. They say that he rose because God injected enormous power and energy from outside the system. Now, unless you have evidence that the system is totally, totally closed, you cannot argue against the possibility of miracles. So, now you have to come to the actuality." (Lennox)

"Should we assume that God no longer works in such dynamic ways? I think that it is wrong to make that assumption. I think that Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. I do not believe that we should fault God for the lack of power in the church. I think that we should fault the church, fault ourselves. I believe that this power is still available today. I believe in the power of God to change lives, to transform lives, to turn people around 180 degrees. I believe in the power of God to raise people out of beds of infirmity, to deliver people from the bondage of things that are destroying them, setting people free. I believe in the power of God to raise the dead. I do not believe that there is any lack with God or with God's ability, or even with God's desire to manifest Himself." (Smith)

Peter heals Aeneas with a word of faith at Lydda.
Will God do our bidding if declare words in faith?
Why did Peter get called to see Dorcas who had already died?
Is there a logical and rational explanation for miracles?
God uses Peter to raise Dorcas from the dead.
The first time Christians are called saints.
Why would Peter stay with a tanner that was ceremonially unclean?

Video: Miracles: Is Belief in the Supernatural Irrational? With John Lennox at Harvard University

Article and Audio: The Question of Miracles: the contemporary influence of Hume

Two quotes of the day:

Today's blog is on Acts 9 (The Conversion of Saul of Tarsus) verses 7-16: God ministers to Saul through Ananias.

A summary of the study:

Video: Michael Ramsden - God of Love: Church of Arrogance?

New sermons (right click/save as)"

7/1/15 - Psalms 135-138
7/1/15 - Isaiah 21-24
7/1/15 - 2 Samuel 11:1-27
7/1/15 - Matthew 5:1-6:13

Personally, I would look for a church with no denominational ties. Seek the Lord on where He wants you to go, and start looking. Once you find places that you believe God is pointing you to, find out what their statement of faith is and listen to some of their sermons. This will give you a good idea if what they say is Biblical or not. I would want you to find a church where the gospel is its main priority, that equips the saints to grow to reach the lost, and its foundation is built on the teachings of the Bible.

I think the following book will help you out and point you in the direction God wants you to go in.

This Little Church Went to Market (click to read online)

Let me know if you have any other questions.

You are right. I think its extremely important to know the history of the Catholic Church. Here is just one example of the heretical side of this church:

Agreed.

I shared this before in this thread, but I can't stress enough how spot-on this article is on how to share our faith with those God places in our lives.

One of the things that I have been noticing is the increasing the attacks on anyone who believes in absolute morality. This is nothing new though. What do I mean? Herbert Butterfield (Regius Professor of History and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Cambridge) wrote an amazing analyses in 1949 on human nature in the aftermath of World War 2. I highly recommend reading this, because the parallels are just uncanny with modern society.

John Lennox discusses this in further detail in his book on "Against the Flow - The Inspiration of Daniel in an Age of Relativism." His commentary on Daniel is one of the best I have ever read. But the most interest part are the parallels between the time Daniel was living in and what is going on in Europe and the United States right now.
Just wanted to share some love for this entire post. Keep up the great work. I'm deeply moved and encouraged by your commitment to sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"As the minister was driving with his wife, they stopped in a small Iranian village to purchase some water. Before entering, the minister noticed a man holding a machine gun and leaning against the wall outside the store. The minister's wife looked at the man's face and the gun, then put a Bible in her husband's hand and said, "Give that man this Bible." Her husband looked at the man—his menacing beard and his machine gun—and replied, "I don't think so." But she persisted: "I'm serious. Give it to him. Please, give him the Bible." Trying to avoid the issue, the husband said, "Okay, I'll pray about it." He went into the shop, purchased the water, climbed back into the car, and started to drive away. His wife looked at him and said, "I guess you didn't give him the Bible, did you?" Looking straight ahead, he replied, "No, I prayed about it and it wasn't the right thing to do." She quietly said, "You should have given him the Bible," and then she bowed her head and started praying. At that point, he turned around and told his wife, "Fine! If you want me to die, I will." When the minister returned to the store, the man with the machine gun was still standing against the wall. The minister approached him and placed the Bible in his hand. When the man opened it and saw it was a Bible, he started to cry. "I don't live here," he said. "I had to walk for three days in order to get to this village. But three days ago an angel appeared to me and told me to walk to this village and wait until someone had given me the Book of Life. Thank you for giving me this book." (Ramsden)

Today's blog is on Acts 10 (Cornelius, Peter, and the Conversion of Gentiles) verses 1-8: God speaks to Cornelius about Peter.

Samples from the study:

"Cornelius was a man of prayer. Now here was a man who was walking in the light that he had. And it is so important that we walk in the light that we possess. Unto whom much is given, much is required. Unto whom little is given, little is required. Luke's gospel tells us in chapter 12 that a man will be judged according to the knowledge and the light that he has received. "For that servant, that knew the will of the father, and did not accordingly will be beaten with many stripes. Yet he who did things worthy of many stripes, because he did not know the will of the father shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whom much is given, much is required. Unto whom little is given, little is required." (Luke 12:47-48). But we are always required to walk in the light that we have. And if we will walk in the light that we have, it always follows that God will then give us more light and understanding. So it's important that we walk in the light that we have. Just how much light that Cornelius had, we do not know. He did know of God. He reverenced God; he feared God and he prayed unto God continually. He gave alms to the needy, much alms to the people." (Smith)

"Daniel 12:3 says those who turn many to righteousness shall shine as the stars forever. If you're a soul-winner, a Good News-sharer, you're going to shine — not only in heaven, but here on earth as well. How long has it been since you looked someone in the eye and said, `I've got Good News for you!'? A week? A month? If you feel kind of dull and burned-out, share the Gospel and shine once again!" (Courson)

Introduction to Acts 10
Who was the Gentile known as Cornelius?
Cornelius proves that Gentiles existed who served God and prayed to Him.
God sends an angel to tell Cornelius to get Peter.
Ac10.34-35

God begins breaking racial barriers between Jew and Gentile.
Why does God not use angels to share the gospel with humanity?
Cornelius obeys God’s command and sends for Peter.
How does God confirm that He is guiding someone?

Article: Beyond Your Walls

Article: Beyond the Visible

Article: Trust in Crooked Paths

Article: Ten quick responses to atheist claims

1) You don't believe in Zeus, Thor and all the other gods. I just go one god more than you, and reject the Christian God.
2) Science has explained everything, and it doesn't include God.
3) Science is opposed to God.
4) You can't prove that there is a God.
5) Faith is believing without any evidence.
6) Faith is a delusion. I'd no more believe in God than I would in the Easter Bunny, Father Christmas or the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
7) Christianity claims to be true, but there loads of denominations and they all disagree with each other, so it must be false.
8) The Bible is immoral.
9) Surely you don't take the Bible literally?
10) What is the evidence for God?

New sermons (right click/save as):

7/7/15 - James 2:14-17
7/8/15 - Psalm 139
7/8/15 - God's Promises
7/8/15 - 2 Samuel 12:1-31

Just wanted to share some love for this entire post. Keep up the great work. I'm deeply moved and encouraged by your commitment to sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Ty. All I ask is that you keep my wife and I in your prayers. ^_^

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"No one is made righteous before God by keeping the law. It is only following redemption that we can truly understand the moral law for what it is—a mirror that indicts and calls the heart to seek God’s help. This makes moral reasoning the fruit of spiritual understanding and not the cause of it. The first four of the Ten Commandments have to do with our worship of God, while the next six deal with our resulting responsibilities to our fellow human beings. These commandments base a moral imperative on our spiritual commitment, first toward God and second toward humanity. This logic is unbreakable. We see the various components come into place—the exclusivity and supremacy of one God; the sacredness of his very name; the entanglement of means as they become ends in themselves; the sanctity of time as God gives it to us. Taken in a single dimension, the Ten Commandments show us the transcending reality of God’s existence and his distance from us. We cannot truly live without understanding this distance and who God is. Within this framework we learn that God blesses and judges, that his judgments can last generations from the deed, that his love deserves our ultimate pursuit, that worship is both timely and timeless. The human condition in and of itself cannot touch this reality. Any life that does not see its need for redemption will not understand the truth about morality." (Zacharias)

Today's blog is on Acts 10 (Cornelius, Peter, and the Conversion of Gentiles) verses 9-16: Peter’s vision of the great sheet.

Samples from the study:

"As Peter was on the rooftop praying, his stomach started growling and he fell into a trance. Overlooking the Mediterranean Sea from his rooftop perch, he saw a sheet — or `sail', as the word `sheet' can also be translated — full of unclean foods. Our Lord is so good! He uses the things we're feeling and the world in which we're living to speak to us in wonderful ways. He doesn't condemn us for feeling hungry, or for spacing out. He'll even use our growling stomachs and heavy eyelids to fulfill His plan." (Courson)

"Peter was saved, Peter was filled with the Holy Spirit, and Peter had been greatly used by God. At the same time, Peter was still Peter. God didn’t use him because he was perfect, but because he was in the right direction and he was available. We often fall into the trap of thinking that we must be perfected until God can really use us." (Guzik)

Peter goes into a trance on top of Simon the Tanner’s housetop.
Why did God tell Peter to kill and eat want non-kosher animals?
What is God's primary method of communication with believers?
Is it possible to tell God no if He is Lord over our lives?
Why did God repeat the vision to Peter three times?

Video: Who Is God? | Ravi Zacharias

Mariolee

Yeah, I think I've gone full nutso. I have no idea what's wrong with me. I've been severely depressed by how much Christianity is declining which leads me to believe that Christianity isn't true, but I want it to be true so badly but then I'm just succumbing to the atheist's argument that I'm just undergoing wishful thinking. Maybe I'm just not in the right mind right now and need to relax, but I feel like I'm going crazy right now.

Chaplain

Yeah, I think I've gone full nutso. I have no idea what's wrong with me. I've been severely depressed by how much Christianity is declining which leads me to believe that Christianity isn't true, but I want it to be true so badly but then I'm just succumbing to the atheist's argument that I'm just undergoing wishful thinking. Maybe I'm just not in the right mind right now and need to relax, but I feel like I'm going crazy right now.

If we are going to go by the moral majority, we are going to fall for the logical trap of Appealing to the Masses. The moral majority is rarely ever right. History verifies this.

Another error that we make is that we can know anything with 100% certainty. Every single belief in our lives involves some level of faith (trust based off evidence). I have evidence that my wife loves me based on our past and present relationship. This evidence leads me to believe that she loves me. However, I do not have 100% proof that she loves me. Her daily actions provide me with evidence that she loves me and wants to be with me. This applies to all human relationships and even our relationship with God.

All people have a freewill and this is why some people decide to follow Christ and some do not. The decline of Christianity is going to continue (you can bank on this). The majority do not want to live a life centered on objective morals because the under current of western society is pushing the masses into the realm of relativism. Its up to you if you want to go along with that ride (the broad road filled with meaninglessness and despair) or go against the current (the narrow road filled with purpose and meaning but pain and suffering). Both roads lead to very different present and future consequences.

Mariolee

If we are going to go by the moral majority, we are going to fall for the logical trap of Appealing to the Masses. The moral majority is rarely ever right. History verifies this.

Another error that we make is that we can know anything with 100% certainty. Every single belief in our lives involves some level of faith (trust based off evidence). I have evidence that my wife loves me based on our past and present relationship. This evidence leads me to believe that she loves me. However, I do not have 100% proof that she loves me. Her daily actions provide me with evidence that she loves me and wants to be with me. This applies to all human relationships and even our relationship with God.

All people have a freewill and this is why some people decide to follow Christ and some do not. The decline of Christianity is going to continue (you can bank on this). The majority do not want to live a life centered on objective morals because the under current of western society is pushing the masses into the realm of relativism. Its up to you if you want to go along with that ride (the broad road filled with meaninglessness and despair) or go against the current (the narrow road filled with purpose and meaning but pain and suffering). Both roads lead to very different present and future consequences.

I don't want to go along with that ride, but I just don't know what to think anymore.

legend166

The Lord is building his Church. Christianity is declining in the West (although I'd argue it's less of a decline and more of a purification) but it's booming in the developing world. There are more Christians in China than there are people in Australia.

Don't let your personal context define what God is doing around the world.

aly

My understanding may be completely wrong, but I always thought that Christianity being on the decline, especially in western nations, was always part of the journey. As in its going to be a difficult one and very few able to keep their faith in what I guess you would consider the end times. As for myself, I'm not to concerned or surprised by that decline, since what the majority want isn't necessarily what God wants. After all in Matthew 7:13 it states "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.".

Chaplain

The Lord is building his Church. Christianity is declining in the West (although I'd argue it's less of a decline and more of a purification) but it's booming in the developing world. There are more Christians in China than there are people in Australia.

Agreed. Many of the recent downloads I have linked to are about this very subject. Believers in nonwestern countries continue to increase despite persecution. It seems where the church isnt persecuted complacency sets in and believers begin to compromise. I think this is why the church explided in Acts. Believers united to keep Christ first, and The Holy Spirit empowered them to be God's witnesses.

Believe it or not I was where you were at several months ago. Started doubting Christianity, and reading a lot of anti-religion on this board (coincidently) coupled with my biology classes I was taking and my disgust at the hypocrisy for the church caused me extreme depression, sin and nihilistic fatalism that if all that humanity could hop for is a brief moment in the sun then what was anything at all worth? Kept asking myself what real evidence did I have to convince me that the God I've devoted my life to even matters? I was like this for nearly a month (though I still doubt like any normal person does, I suppose). What brought me peace was something God brought to mind that I had read years ago as a child in C.S. Lewis's book The Silver Chair. I'd explain the entire chapter but there is a really nice website that breaks that exchange down. For me, I found a sense of comfort in Puddleglum's declaration that even if his entire life was a lie following Aslan was a better existence than not. That might sound a little Pascalian but having that resolve helped break me out of my "cave" and allowed me to express my faith without feeling like I was betraying logic or reason. Perhaps that will help you as it did me. That's for the Lord.

As for your main point. Something that has helped me is going through the Major and Minor Prophets, in particular Jeremiah and Daniel. When you see the cultures they lived in and served, while it may have been pagan regions compared to areligion, the fact is they lived in a society that either claimed to serve God and wasn't (much like the West has in the past) or had nothing to do with God whatsoever (much like where the West is now).

Hopefully some of this helps. It's not exactly the most profound post since I'm tired and on a phone, but if there is any support I can give you further just let me know man.

entremet

Don't let your personal context define what God is doing around the world.

Africa and South Korea also have shown huge growth over the last three decades.

Interestingly enough, Christianity is decline amongst white people basically, with Europe showing huge declines in the last 50 years.

Mariolee

Thanks for the comments guys. I feel much better. I guess I just feel discouraged because it's not like these people who are giving up religion or Christianity don't have a point. Especially when I see mods like Opiate or ThoseDeafMutes being intelligent men who create formal and well thought out arguments, I feel like my intellect can't compare. I know that there are apologists who could definitely compete with them but without them here I feel lost. However, I do find inspiration in the Catholics and Christians here that do stick up for things like Game_Analyst or Pollux, even if I don't always agree with some of the points you make. To be made fun of and overpowered definitely does take its toll for sure. Maybe I need to fall back on a better real life consistent intelligent Christian community.

Believe it or not I was where you were at several months ago. Started doubting Christianity, and reading a lot of anti-religion on this board (coincidently) coupled with my biology classes I was taking and my disgust at the hypocrisy for the church caused me extreme depression, sin and nihilistic fatalism that if all that humanity could hop for is a brief moment in the sun then what was anything at all worth? Kept asking myself what real evidence did I have to convince me that the God I've devoted my life to even matters? I was like this for nearly a month (though I still doubt like any normal person does, I suppose). What brought me peace was something God brought to mind that I had read years ago as a child in C.S. Lewis's book The Silver Chair. I'd explain the entire chapter but there is a really nice website that breaks that exchange down. For me, I found a sense of comfort in Puddleglum's declaration that even if his entire life was a lie following Aslan was a better existence than not. That might sound a little Pascalian but having that resolve helped break me out of my "cave" and allowed me to express my faith without feeling like I was betraying logic or reason. Perhaps that will help you as it did me. That's for the Lord.

As for your main point. Something that has helped me is going through the Major and Minor Prophets, in particular Jeremiah and Daniel. When you see the cultures they lived in and served, while it may have been pagan regions compared to areligion, the fact is they lived in a society that either claimed to serve God and wasn't (much like the West has in the past) or had nothing to do with God whatsoever (much like where the West is now).

Hopefully some of this helps. It's not exactly the most profound post since I'm tired and on a phone, but if there is any support I can give you further just let me know man.

You have no idea how much this helped me. Your points about the prophets as well as the reference to C.S. Lewis's The Silver Chair is so good. I guess the reason I get anxiety from atheists is because it makes me feel like a fool and hopeless, but with your admittedly Pascalian point of view I feel a bit better. So what if I am simply thinking wishfully, to what detriment is that to me? It's far better than the hopeless world that is there without God. And even if there is no God, that means there's no objective moral standard and that "better" doesn't even exist. So even from a secular point of view, it is no better to believe in God than it is to not believe in Him.

At the moment I feel better, but I have a tendency to break down so I may be crying here more later. I've been dealing with some depression (Doc said I'm showing the symptoms, but I haven't had them long enough for him to officially diagnose me) but your words have done a lot to alleviate my fears. Thank you.

At the moment I feel better, but I have a tendency to break down so I may be crying here more later. I've been dealing with some depression (Doc said I'm showing the symptoms, but I haven't had them long enough for him to officially diagnose me) but your words have done a lot to alleviate my fears. Thank you.
No problem. Even with depression there is still grace from God to deal with it. I've been reading about Charles Spurgeon battled depression for many years sand relied on his wife Susannah to both comfort him and keep him accountable. Going back to Jeremiah just read Jeremiah 20 and you can see probably one of the most depressing chapters from a person. And of course the ultimate example in Jesus who was frequented with grief. As for your unbelief, I'll just copy/paste what a pastor I follow put on FB:

Christian, do you believe in God? I believe but I need God to help my unbelief. Three times in eight verses, David writes: "Fret not." (Psalm 37:1,7,8). The psalm is a call to take a long view of things. Evil men seem to be having their way but, "In just a little while, the wicked will be no more." (10) Trust God. He will establish your steps, uphold your hand, provide for your needs, and make you a blessing (23-26). He will not forsake you. Take refuge in him.

Mariolee

No problem. Even with depression there is still grace from God to deal with it. I've been reading about Charles Spurgeon battled depression for many years sand relied on his wife Susannah to both comfort him and keep him accountable. Going back to Jeremiah just read Jeremiah 20 and you can see probably one of the most depressing chapters from a person. And of course the ultimate example in Jesus who was frequented with grief. As for your unbelief, I'll just copy/paste what a pastor I follow put on FB:

I just woke up in the middle of the night with some anxiety and reading this made me feel a bit better. I just feel so alone in this fear when I know I shouldn't.

I just woke up in the middle of the night with some anxiety and reading this made me feel a bit better. I just feel so alone in this fear when I know I shouldn't.
Yeah man we all struggle with this. Your talking with someone who knows all too well what it is like to doubt and wonder, and I'm sure there are plenty of others throughout the world who struggle just the same. "No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man." Thankfully that's why this thread exists, so we can help you out. Even if it is just through the Internet with people we don't really know we are still one body in Christ -- the Church -- and should support one another. :)

Game Analyst said:

This paragraph could be said of all world religions, no?

Chaplain

This paragraph could be said of all world religions, no?

There are some differences:

Moral relativism was declared by Daniel to be one of the main ideologies of the end times.
Relativistic values would be written into Law to force those who believe in God's objective morals into obeying their values or suffer the consequences (also spoken about in Daniel).
The god's that the Babylonians worshiped would be worshipped again during the end times: gods that focus on self and the material realm.
The worldview of the supernatural would be attacked (through law and other means) by the worldview of naturalism/materialism (also seen in the book of Daniel).
God would be with those that choose reject the ways of the world and put Him first.

Just woke up. So, sorry if I didn't explain myself to well.

entremet

I was reading a book that talk about the Mosaic Law and how ingenious it was at the time before modern germ theory.

It was incredibly thorough and made a lot of sense before modern hygiene theory.

For example, the benefits of hand washing, which is in Leviticus, wasn't discovered until the mid 19th century!

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"The apostle Paul indicates elsewhere (in Romans 9–11) that we can gain insight into the relationship between God’s involvement in history and human responsibility by having a look at the (complex) story of Jacob, whose parents were told even before his birth that he would have a special role. As the Genesis account shows, this sovereign choice certainly did not imply a divine determinism that robbed Jacob of his freedom to choose. Indeed, the narrative shows in detail how God held Jacob both responsible and accountable for the methods he adopted in securing that role, and God disciplined him accordingly—particularly through his relationships with his own children. For instance Jacob deceived his own father Isaac, who was almost blind, by wearing the rough skin of a goat in order to pretend to be his older brother Esau. Many years later Jacob was himself deceived into thinking that his favourite son Joseph was dead, when his other sons brought Joseph’s coat to him drenched in the blood of a goat. This story on its own is enough to show just how complex the outworking of God’s overall control of history is, in making allowance for a degree of real human freedom and responsibility. Such stories also show that we, with all the limitations of our humanity, can never have full understanding of the relationship between God’s rule in history and human freedom and responsibility. That does not mean, however, that we should not believe in them. After all, most of us believe in energy, even though none of us knows what it is. The belief that both God’s rule and human freedom are real is warranted primarily because this view has considerable explanatory power. (In a similar way, the tension of seeing light simultaneously as particles and as a wave is tolerated in physical explanations of light.) The biblical narrative, and indeed history itself, makes more sense in light of this complex view, rather than if we deny either God’s rule or a degree of human freedom. A great deal of humility is also called for, in view of what is ultimately (and probably necessarily) characterized by a certain degree of mystery." (Lennox)

Today's blog is on Acts 10 (Cornelius, Peter, and the Conversion of Gentiles) verses 17-26: God begins to unite two different worldviews (Jews and Gentiles) into Christ.

Samples from the study:

"Please notice, students: God works on both sides. He spoke to Cornelius through an angel and to Peter through a vision. When these three men showed up at Peter's gate, it was confirmation that both Cornelius and Peter had heard God correctly. Sometimes well-meaning brothers and sisters come to you and say, `The Lord told me to tell you . . . .' When this happens, your answer should be, `If that's so, He'll tell me, too.' I know some people who got financially burned recently because they listened to a man who said, `The Lord told me to tell you that we're going to do well on this deal.' " (Courson)

"Peter refused to receive the worship. He didn't let him kiss his toe, but ordered the man to stand up because, "I also am a man." It is interesting how that people seek to elevate the servant of God many times to a position of almost worship. This was something that the apostles had to guard against. Paul the apostle with Barnabas, when they were in Lystra, found the people coming down the street with the priest of Jupiter who was dragging an ox behind him. And he was going to sacrifice unto Paul because they were amazed of the healing of the lame man. Paul had to strip off his clothes and said, "Hey, I'm not a god; I'm a man. Don't do this. Worship God." (Smith)

“A person will worship something, have no doubt about that. We may think our tribute is paid in secret in the dark recesses of our hearts, but it will out. That which dominates our imaginations and our thoughts will determine our lives, and our character. Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshipping we are becoming.” (Emerson)

God speaks to Peter of the arrival of the Gentile messengers from Cornelius.
God's first step in uniting two opposing worldviews.
Ga3.8

Peter goes against Jewish custom and tradition by inviting Gentiles into his home.
Peter goes with Gentile messengers back to Caesarea to see Cornelius.
Peter rebukes Cornelius for worshiping him like God.
What does the Bible say about worshiping man like God?
God begins to unite two different worldviews (Jews and Gentiles) into Christ.

Audio: Unbelievable? Can Christianity be true if Christians can’t agree on doctrine? Andrew Whyte vs Nabeel Qureshi (Saturday 11th July 2015 - 02:30 pm)

MP3 Download (right click/save as)

Andrew Whyte lost his faith after realising the diversity of Christian beliefs. He has developed a series of Youtube videos on the way Christians disagree about various doctrines and we hear some of the audio from them.

Nabeel Qureshi, a Christian convert from Islam, responds on why, despite differing beliefs, Christianity makes sense.

Article: You Don’t Honestly Believe That!

In some countries of the world the Bible is contraband. Smuggling operations exist with the sole aim of getting them secretly across closed borders and into the hands of those who want to read it. I will never forget getting off a train in an Asian country at four o’clock one morning and making my way to a rendezvous with three indigenous church leaders. A team of us were delivering bags filled with Bibles that were to be distributed amongst the churches farther north. When our friends unzipped the bags and looked inside, the tears began to flow down their cheeks. These books were so precious to the Christian believers that they were prepared to risk imprisonment and persecution in order to get hold of them. I found it intriguing that the Bible should inspire such sacrifice and courage in the hearts of those who want to read it.

Audio: 7/9/2015 - Dedication of the Temple (1 Kings 8) (right click/save as)

Thanks for the comments guys. I feel much better. I guess I just feel discouraged because it's not like these people who are giving up religion or Christianity don't have a point.

I would really recommend listening to what is happening in parts of the world where people are being killed because of their faith. Like in the podcast below, Muslims are turning to Christ despite the consequences of dying because of their apostasy.

Audio: Muslims Finding Christ: “I’m Sick of Killing”

The sheikh had just exited Syria, where he’d been providing Islamic theological training to ISIS fighters. Now, he was looking for a Bible. Not to burn it—but to learn more about Jesus Christ. This Islamic teacher is not alone; God is working in the hearts of Muslims all over the Middle East—even the hearts of radical ISIS fighters trained to find glory in bloodshed. After years in the Middle East as a part of Operation Mobilization, “Julian” will share amazing true stories of God’s Kingdom advancing among Arab Muslims. He’ll also share how Christians are facing persecution, and being empowered by God to stand strong, and even to forgive those who kill their family members. Celebrate with us the stories of God’s advancing Kingdom this week on The Voice of the Martyrs Radio Network.

God is doing amazing things in places where people remain open to His Spirit. God will not force anyone to come to Him, and this is why you see people in the West being deceived on such a huge scale right now.

Especially when I see mods like Opiate or ThoseDeafMutes being intelligent men who create formal and well thought out arguments, I feel like my intellect can't compare. I know that there are apologists who could definitely compete with them but without them here I feel lost. However, I do find inspiration in the Catholics and Christians here that do stick up for things like Game_Analyst or Pollux, even if I don't always agree with some of the points you make. To be made fun of and overpowered definitely does take its toll for sure. Maybe I need to fall back on a better real life consistent intelligent Christian community..

What I hope you take away from both sides of the argument is that both sides cannot prove their worldview. Both sides can offer evidence that ultimately leads a person to step out in faith (trust) to believe the evidence or reject it. Believing and rejecting whatever evidence is available is centered on faith. The Atheist has faith and so does the Christian. All worldviews require faith. That is just the way the world has been set up to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom