• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christianity |OT| The official thread of hope, faith and infinite love.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanadeus

Banned
GhaleonQ said:
I hope you can understand why Christians who make arguments about (NOT TO BRING IT INTO THIS TERRITORY) no-fault divorce, same-sex marriage, adoption, and the rest make them. If the family unit was only about love to Christians, the above would be totally right. There's an undeniable aspect of societal responsibility to it that compels right living.

Again, not to argue about it, I'm just trying to increase people's conception of the people who argue about those things. Some have real reasons for doing so. They may be wrong, but they are supposed to defend a certain conception that's particular, not necessarily universal.
I am aware of those reasons to have a family but I honestly doubt that's what goes through people's minds when having a family - Christian or not.
Sure, there might be an aspect of societal responsibility that compels them to christian family structures but is that what's said in the bible?

Hi-tekk

Neo Member
thehillissilent said:
I would recommend some Christian counseling for him and his wife (possibly from someone is is not affiliated with your church for an outside perspective). There are also a lot of good books out there that he can read and learn from as well such as Rescusing Your Love Life by Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend, The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work by John Gottman, and TThe Love Dare by Stephen Kendrick and Alex Kendrick . I have read/am currently reading these books. They have been of great help to my marriage. I don't know the whole situation, but he needs to do everythng possible as far as it depends on him to stay together and be a spiritual leader in his household. Also, he needs to think about the severe, negative impact that divorce wll have on his baby girl.

Thanks for this response. He is going to go to some Christians Counseling so we'll see how it goes after that. And I'll definitely recommend the books you mentioned. But I do know that one book that he has mentioned to me already called "The Love Dare" he knows he wouldn't be able to do just because of where his heart is at (a friend had recommended that book to him already). And yea he does realize the impact it would have on his child and I believe that is his reasoning for wanting to at least try counseling.

Blergmeister said:
My advice would be some counseling with the wife and other serious attempts to work it out while acknowledging that there is a serious problem and divorce is a possibility.

These are my thoughts as well.

GhaleonQ

Shanadeus said:
I am aware of those reasons to have a family but I honestly doubt that's what goes through people's minds when having a family - Christian or not.
Sure, there might be an aspect of societal responsibility that compels them to christian family structures but is that what's said in the bible?

Oh, I don't mean that Christians think, "Christians must marry for the good of the society! Come on, everyone! Get marrying!" Sorry.

I mean, "The family unit, as we conceive it, is not merely a voluntary contract about emotions or even agape, Christian love. It's also about correcting and preventing human sinful nature IN THE PRESENT WORLD." Family, like government and the church, has a purpose only useful on Earth, but it encourages/creates the conditions for spiritual goodness.

I think I might be pushing a little too much to keep this from some horrible debate, though, so I'll drop it. I was just saying.

Hi-tekk said:
Thanks for this response. He is going to go to some Christians Counseling so we'll see how it goes after that. And I'll definitely recommend the books you mentioned. But I do know that one book that he has mentioned to me already called "The Love Dare" he knows he wouldn't be able to do just because of where his heart is at (a friend had recommended that book to him already). And yea he does realize the impact it would have on his child and I believe that is his reasoning for wanting to at least try counseling.

As far as the love dare is concerned, it's not really all that hard/challenging to do starting out. It starts real basic and goes from there. It was desined for people in his circumstance. I would even recommend him wathing Fireproof to see the concept in action. I wonder if he would be willing and able to just look at starting devotions. It gets the focus off of himself and onto God. There is a radio website (k-love) that posted the devotions on their site for free until Valentine's Day last year.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
MorisUkunRasik said:
They talk a lot and don't say very much.
What are you talking about, they say quite a bit. They put faith into the perspective of science and vice versa. Sure, they might not say anything new to you, and no, it's some kind of new revolutionary idea, but it discusses the realities of our existence in a clear and balanced way, and they have a good sense of humor about it too.

can one of you Christians explain the trinity to me and provide me with scriptures to support your explanation? or better yet tell me where in the bible it tells man what the trinity is?

hellclerk

TGateKeeper said:
yeah I read that- just thought there are actual scripture that says "the trinity is this".
Of course not, it's never that easy. The concept of the Trinity is one of understanding the nature of God. Because God's nature is an unknowable to our puny mortal minds, this is our best guess based on scripture to understand both a singular, infinite, and indivisible God and the three persons that scripture has described.

Shanadeus

Banned
doomed1 said:
Of course not, it's never that easy. The concept of the Trinity is one of understanding the nature of God. Because God's nature is an unknowable to our puny mortal minds, this is our best guess based on scripture to understand both a singular, infinite, and indivisible God and the three persons that scripture has described.
I kinda disagree with the trinity.

Sounds to me like a case of what happens when you try to analyse a text to death for hundreds of years - you're bound to end up with some pretty wacky conclusions.

The same could be done for a collection of the Grimm tales and you'd end up with equally as far-fetched and bizarre conclusions drawn from the canon material.

sajj316

doomed1 said:

Right, Trinity is something man coined. Not God. It is more of an explanation to word "us" .. used in the scripture.

Good link for more reading ..

http://www.gotquestions.org/Trinity-Bible.html

doomed1 said:
What are you talking about, they say quite a bit. They put faith into the perspective of science and vice versa. Sure, they might not say anything new to you, and no, it's some kind of new revolutionary idea, but it discusses the realities of our existence in a clear and balanced way, and they have a good sense of humor about it too.

It was just fluff and anecdotes. I don't think they were there to hear the british man speak but I would have liked for him to go further into his statement regarding Hell and how its existence depends on something. I would very much like to hear what factors would be necessary for him to think there is a physical hell or if he ever even would.

And though I agree that without religion there would still be plenty of conflict and war, when he said "without religion we wouldn't know war was bad" made me cringe.

Chaplain

Meeru said:
Kinda find it dumb that we are not able to fully understand god. Trinity is a made up gimmick

This should help you with your view that it is a made up gimmick:

40971_1493725537092_1052646049_1454765_3876101_n.jpg

Chaplain

Hi-tekk said:
God gives us free will and with that he believes that he was too immature in the first place to get married to this woman. He felt that he didn't even realize who he was as a person and spiritually. So many times he's focused on himself and and tried to work through his selfishness and immaturity with God. But he keeps coming back to square one of how he feels he wasn't ready to have made that decision of marriage in the first place.

How he feels is not the key. If I went by my feelings I would not go to work or work out. If Jesus went by his feelings, he would have never gone through with the cross. Jesus said this about self and being his follower:

“If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily, and follow me. If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it. And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but are yourself lost or destroyed?

Jesus said to love our neighbor as ourselves. Marriage is about putting the needs of the other ahead of our own (speaking from 8+ years of marriage experience). This will can only happen when we surrender our will to God and ask Him to give us His love in loving others.

I hope your friend asks God to change his heart toward his wife. God will not change his heart unless he gives God permission to do so. Then he should step out and do what God tells him to do. God will work in this situation if he allows God to help. If not, God will be on the sideline watching his children suffer allot of pain that could have been avoided.

hellclerk

MorisUkunRasik said:
It was just fluff and anecdotes. I don't think they were there to hear the british man speak but I would have liked for him to go further into his statement regarding Hell and how its existence depends on something. I would very much like to hear what factors would be necessary for him to think there is a physical hell or if he ever even would.

And though I agree that without religion there would still be plenty of conflict and war, when he said "without religion we wouldn't know war was bad" made me cringe.
I could probably answer that for you: What do you mean by "hell"? Do you mean fire and brimestone lake of fire? Or do you mean spiritual state of Grace that is distant from God? if it's the former, then no it doesn't exist. If it's the latter, then yes! It depends on how you define "hell".

Plus there were alot of wry jokes being thrown around and it was more for the theologically inclined, which is why I posted it in the Christianity thread. If you can't take a (false) morality joke, then GTFO. If you pressed him, he'd probably agree, but that's besides the point of the discussion on the co-existence of religion and science.

doomed1 said:
I could probably answer that for you: What do you mean by "hell"? Do you mean fire and brimestone lake of fire? Or do you mean spiritual state of Grace that is distant from God? if it's the former, then no it doesn't exist. If it's the latter, then yes! It depends on how you define "hell".

Plus there were alot of wry jokes being thrown around and it was more for the theologically inclined, which is why I posted it in the Christianity thread. If you can't take a (false) morality joke, then GTFO. If you pressed him, he'd probably agree, but that's besides the point of the discussion on the co-existence of religion and science.

That's great that you have an answer for the existence of hell, but I'd like to hear his.

Describing hell as a land of fire and brimstone with the intention of making it seem too literal of an interpretation is fine, but thinking that "a spiritual state of grace that is distant from God" is any less imaginative, fictional or childish is quite silly. Both concepts are equally absurd.

He made a bad joke, fantastic. Whether he meant it or not can be argued, uselessly I might add, either way the idea is wrong. Morality isn't the creation of religion, joking or not its a dangerous idea that I'm sure many in the audience believe and feel that he believes because he tried to inject humor into his Q&A.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Meeru said:
Kinda find it dumb that we are not able to fully understand god. Trinity is a made up gimmick

A member already showed you that it's not a gimmick but let me knock the first comment down. If god is the creator of all or the essence of it how is it any different than saying in your lifetime you will attain all knowledge and understanding in existence.

Just because totality cannot be attained with god that does that mean you have no understanding, not enough or a very small fraction of understanding of god.

hellclerk

MorisUkunRasik said:
That's great that you have an answer for the existence of hell, but I'd like to hear his.

Describing hell as a land of fire and brimstone with the intention of making it seem too literal of an interpretation is fine, but thinking that "a spiritual state of grace that is distant from God" is any less imaginative, fictional or childish is quite silly. Both concepts are equally absurd.

He made a bad joke, fantastic. Whether he meant it or not can be argued, uselessly I might add, either way the idea is wrong. Morality isn't the creation of religion, joking or not its a dangerous idea that I'm sure many in the audience believe and feel that he believes because he tried to inject humor into his Q&A.
I'm sorry, are you here to learn about Christianity or are you here to troll it? You apparently heard his interview, but you didn't listen very well. You apparently have no eye for poetry and no understanding of metaphor because calling a "spiritual state of grace" a falsehood is like calling thoughts themselves falsehoods. People have a sense of spirituality, no matter how strong or weak, and such spirituality does not necessarily have to be attributed or connected to God. Here's something for you, I consider true despair "hell" because you are in a constant state of self-torture out of which you cannot pull yourself. One interpretation of such a state is a state of grace distant from God. Do you really want to argue against such basic and understood human experiences?

As for the moderator, his name is Reverend Alan Jones and you can look up his work on your own time. And please, actually PAY ATTENTION to his works instead of brushing them off like they're childish fairy-tales.

doomed1 said:
I'm sorry, are you here to learn about Christianity or are you here to troll it? You apparently heard his interview, but you didn't listen very well. You apparently have no eye for poetry and no understanding of metaphor because calling a "spiritual state of grace" a falsehood is like calling thoughts themselves falsehoods. People have a sense of spirituality, no matter how strong or weak, and such spirituality does not necessarily have to be attributed or connected to God. Here's something for you, I consider true despair "hell" because you are in a constant state of self-torture out of which you cannot pull yourself. One interpretation of such a state is a state of grace distant from God. Do you really want to argue against such basic and understood human experiences?

As for the moderator, his name is Reverend Alan Jones and you can look up his work on your own time. And please, actually PAY ATTENTION to his works instead of brushing them off like they're childish fairy-tales.

I'm not trolling, I'm only here to discuss things presented in the thread. I have interest in christian religions and their history.

Do you believe this "state of grace" is punishment for wrong doing during your mortal life?

There's a difference between feeling agony and feeling agony because you were assigned to plane of reality for being a "bad" person after your death.

Shanadeus

Banned
GhaleonQ said:
Oh, I don't mean that Christians think, "Christians must marry for the good of the society! Come on, everyone! Get marrying!" Sorry.

I mean, "The family unit, as we conceive it, is not merely a voluntary contract about emotions or even agape, Christian love. It's also about correcting and preventing human sinful nature IN THE PRESENT WORLD." Family, like government and the church, has a purpose only useful on Earth, but it encourages/creates the conditions for spiritual goodness.

I think I might be pushing a little too much to keep this from some horrible debate, though, so I'll drop it. I was just saying.
Yeah, that makes a lot more sense (not getting into the validity of that statement as spiritual goodness is the end goal).

Which brings me to the next question:

Why is God essentially creating just another set of angels?
Because it seems to me that the humans in heaven will be no different from the angels there, which makes one wonder why God couldn't just fast-forward the process to heaven already and omit the whole humanity business (which we lose in the end anyway).

Those that stay behind and chose not to go to heaven will be more human that those that go if I'm reading the scriptures right.

hellclerk

MorisUkunRasik said:
I'm not trolling, I'm only here to discuss things presented in the thread. I have interest in christian religions and their history.

Do you believe this "state of grace" is punishment for wrong doing during your mortal life?

There's a difference between feeling agony and feeling agony because you were assigned to plane of reality for being a "bad" person after your death.
No, it's a feeling you put yourself into. A "bad" person is fearful and doesn't receive God's glory not because God doesn't offer it, but because this person, through their fear, despair, and/or pride refuse it. This is why Judas "went to hell". It wasn't the sin that he betrayed Jesus but rather that he didn't think it was possible for him to be forgiven, which is total bupkiss. In his despair, Judas refused reconciliation and offed himself. His hell was created by himself and is sustained by him, and because Judas closed his heart, he was unreachable.

Forgiveness comes if you ask, for whatever your transgression, but you have to mean it and you have to understand it. We're all sinners, no matter what we do, I'm the greatest among them, so it's not like we deserve it, but we have to be open to the Love of God no matter what.

See where I'm going?

doomed1 said:
No, it's a feeling you put yourself into. A "bad" person is fearful and doesn't receive God's glory not because God doesn't offer it, but because this person, through their fear, despair, and/or pride refuse it. This is why Judas "went to hell". It wasn't the sin that he betrayed Jesus but rather that he didn't think it was possible for him to be forgiven, which is total bupkiss. In his despair, Judas refused reconciliation and offed himself. His hell was created by himself and is sustained by him, and because Judas closed his heart, he was unreachable.

Forgiveness comes if you ask, for whatever your transgression, but you have to mean it and you have to understand it. We're all sinners, no matter what we do, I'm the greatest among them, so it's not like we deserve it, but we have to be open to the Love of God no matter what.

See where I'm going?

So after Judas killed himself do you believe he is existing somewhere where he is tortured? It's a very simple question.

If you don't then you seem to believe in earthly suffering which is completely possible without a God.

If you do regardless of your wording, if Judas is in another dimension, plane of reality, state of being, just flat out existing somewhere where he is filled with pain for not asking or receiving God's forgiveness. Then, to me, that's just as silly sounding as there being a place deep in the earth where you're prodded by demons with pitchforks.

hellclerk

MorisUkunRasik said:
So after Judas killed himself do you believe he is existing somewhere where he is tortured? It's a very simple question.
I suppose in the spiritual sense, sure, but the torture is self-generated. Ever been depressed? It sucks. Now imagine being depressed for all of eternity with no method or outlet to alleviate that depression, in a constant state of unknowing and uncertainty. As someone who's experienced depression first hand, that's a greater torture than any lake of fire could ever be, and the kicker is that it's all self-created, nothing more.

Shanadeus

Banned
doomed1 said:
I suppose in the spiritual sense, sure, but the torture is self-generated. Ever been depressed? It sucks. Now imagine being depressed for all of eternity with no method or outlet to alleviate that depression, in a constant state of unknowing and uncertainty. As someone who's experienced depression first hand, that's a greater torture than any lake of fire could ever be, and the kicker is that it's all self-created, nothing more.
That made me realize something tremendous.

Basically: The events in the Bible has already played out and we're the remnant of the humanity that threw away God.

doomed1 said:

Self created as in you're put there by your actions which are bad or good according to God, in addition that, good and bad are defined by the God who created everything. You have the free will to do what the bible says is good or bad, but if you commit bad acts without remorse there is a place for you where you will suffer.

If the reality we live in was made by God and the heavens by God, surely this "hell" was created by some sort of God. If it wasn't God made, then the earth needn't be God made either, anyway God holds the guest list for entrance into his kingdom, if you don't make it in I suppose you can blame yourself. But the idea itself of there being a place for you if you've done something wrong is still quite, for a lack of a better word, silly.

It is a place that exists because you say so. I'm sorry, but things don't work that way. There is no reason to believe you will be forever tormented for your guilt or immoral actions.

hellclerk

Shanadeus said:
That made me realize something tremendous.

Basically: The events in the Bible has already played out and we're the remnant of the humanity that threw away God.
Uhhhhhhh.... no? Elaborate.

MorisUkunRasik said:
Self created as in you're put there by your actions which are bad or good according to God, in addition that, good and bad are defined by the God who created everything. You have the free will to do what the bible says is good or bad, but if you commit bad acts without remorse there is a place for you where you will suffer.

If the reality we live in was made by God and the heavens by God, surely this "hell" was created by some sort of God. God holds the guest list for entrance into his kingdom, if you don't make it in I suppose you can blame yourself. But the idea itself of there being a place for you if you've done something wrong is still quite, for a lack of a better word, silly.

It is a place that exists because you say so. I'm sorry, but things don't work that way. There is no reason to believe you will be forever tormented for your guilt or immoral actions.
Again, you're hearing, but you're not LISTENING. I do not believe Heaven and Hell are PLACES, physical or otherwise, but rather a state of BEING. There is no PLACE that exists. the idea of the PLACE is a metaphor, poetry like they discussed in that interview. We "build" our own "hell" in the "constructs" of our mind. Do I have to highlight every instance of metaphor for you so that you can see what I mean? There is no list, there is no entrance, there is nothing so trite and simple as you twist my words. There is your state of grace, built by your actions through life. There is the direction of your heart, which must be open and loving so that you may progress. And there is where you are when you face oblivion. We are not measured by our individual good deeds or sins, but rather how we can understand and move forward from them.

And if you ask why God doesn't go and smack 'em upside the head? Free Will. To drag the despairing kicking and screaming would be a violation of the most holy of gifts given us. Without free will God may as well just end all human life and cram us into heaven. Why not? No, we must UNDERSTAND the good (and the evil) we do, we must understand what it means to be human and be contented and optimistic about it. That's what matters most.

doomed1 said:
Again, you're hearing, but you're not LISTENING. I do not believe Heaven and Hell are PLACES, physical or otherwise, but rather a state of BEING. There is no PLACE that exists. the idea of the PLACE is a metaphor, poetry like they discussed in that interview. We "build" our own "hell" in the "constructs" of our mind. Do I have to highlight every instance of metaphor for you so that you can see what I mean? There is no list, there is no entrance, there is nothing so trite and simple as you twist my words. There is your state of grace, built by your actions through life. There is the direction of your heart, which must be open and loving so that you may progress. And there is where you are when you face oblivion. We are not measured by our individual good deeds or sins, but rather how we can understand and move forward from them.

And if you ask why God doesn't go and smack 'em upside the head? Free Will. To drag the despairing kicking and screaming would be a violation of the most holy of gifts given us. Without free will God may as well just end all human life and cram us into heaven. Why not? No, we must UNDERSTAND the good (and the evil) we do, we must understand what it means to be human and be contented and optimistic about it. That's what matters most.

This is still totally absurd. Hell as a metaphor for being imprisoned in our minds after death due to our guilt and immoral acts.

Again, I ask what makes you think we enter a never ending mental prison cell as a result of our anything.

There is absolutely no reason for you to believe there is any sort of punishment, physical or mental.

If you believe in a metaphoric mental consciousness of suffering you might as well believe in fire lakes and demons attacking you because they're equally unlikely.

Shanadeus

Banned
doomed1 said:
Uhhhhhhh.... no? Elaborate.
Don't you see?
The entire humankind is a remnant of a humankind that might itself by a remnant of another humankind - ad infinitum!

Each remnant humanity is the humans that chose not to go to heaven, ending up in a perpetually created self-misery just as you pointed out. Those that stayed behind would be miserable and so but as new people were born the choice would fall into knowledge and only survive on in the form of a bible - the latter part which today's people would think is a forewarning of what's to come rather than a recount of events that have already happened.

All civilizations have ancient myths of great disasters that have occurred in the past and this choice of not going to heaven is one of them.

Would also explain all these myths and theories of ancient people being advanced and highly civilized people.

hellclerk

MorisUkunRasik said:
This is still totally absurd. Hell as a metaphor for being imprisoned in our minds after death due to our guilt and immoral acts.

Again, I ask what makes you think we enter a never ending mental prison cell as a result of our anything.

There is absolutely no reason for you to believe there is any sort of punishment, physical or mental.

If you believe in a metaphoric mental consciousness of suffering you might as well believe in fire lakes and demons attacking you because they're equally unlikely.
Alright, then let me reframe the question: Irregardless to the existence of God, do you believe in any level of human spirituality?

Shanadeus

Banned
doomed1 said:

This is something that always confuse me.

Why does it matter when we will in the end have no memory of it anyway and act just like any other creation without free will?

doomed1 said:
Alright, then let me reframe the question: Irregardless to the existence of God, do you believe in any level of human spirituality?

I don't believe in spirits or souls. I can't say with 100% certainty that they don't exist, the same way I can't say God doesn't exist. I would change my view given some sort of evidence, until then I can't put any stock in such things.

KtSlime

doomed1 said:

What kind of question is that? You don't have to believe in the supernatural to believe in spirituality. Ever read a good book? Play an awesome mind blowing game? Have a deep conversation? Smoke dope? Had long thoughts after a film? Spirituality.

ivedoneyourmom said:
What kind of question is that? You don't have to believe in the supernatural to believe in spirituality. Ever read a good book? Play an awesome mind blowing game? Have a deep conversation? Smoke dope? Had long thoughts after a film? Spirituality.

That's what I don't like about "spirituality", its so broad. It's essentially asking do you believe in experiencing things. At the same time you can experience a sun set and you can say you experienced the voice of god speaking to you while you prayed. Both would be covered by spirituality, but they obviously are two totally different kinds of events.

KtSlime

MorisUkunRasik said:
That's what I don't like about "spirituality", its so broad. It's essentially asking do you believe in experiencing things. At the same time you can experience a sun set and you can say you experienced the voice of god speaking to you while you prayed. Both would be covered by spirituality, but they obviously are two totally different kinds of events.

Exactly, since faith relies on confirmation bias pretty much anything can be an affirmation of ones beliefs. Belief is the most dangerous epistemological argument. This is why, like Sam Harris, I think we should consider alternate explanations for different aspects of 'spirituality', and attempt to explore understanding what happens to the brain during "NDE"s and what not. If it can be experienced, it can likely be rationally explained - even if we don't know all the answers quite yet.

hellclerk

MorisUkunRasik said:
I don't believe in spirits or souls. I can't say with 100% certainty that they don't exist, the same way I can't say God doesn't exist. I would change my view given some sort of evidence, until then I can't put any stock in such things.
Then we are at an impasse. If you reject the very building blocks of religious dogma and spirituality, then no matter how I explain this to you, you're not going to see it any other way than "you have no reason to think this is true". Well of course I don't. That's why I have Faith. Faith is the OPPOSITE of certainty. It's not about KNOWING anything, it's about hoping something, not because you have any real evidence. I mean seriously, if you can't grasp this one very basic concept and be open and tolerant to it, then you have to reason to be in this thread other than to reinforce your preconceived notions on religion, which, while unfortunate, are not something I wish to put the effort into changing. I'm no evangelist.

So I'd rather not try and explain my beliefs to someone who's just going to out and belittle them, especially considering that I have no problem with understanding and accepting yours, irregardless of whether or not I agree.

KtSlime

doomed1 said:
Then we are at an impasse. If you reject the very building blocks of religious dogma and spirituality, then no matter how I explain this to you, you're not going to see it any other way than "you have no reason to think this is true". Well of course I don't. That's why I have Faith. Faith is the OPPOSITE of certainty. It's not about KNOWING anything, it's about hoping something, not because you have any real evidence. I mean seriously, if you can't grasp this one very basic concept and be open and tolerant to it, then you have to reason to be in this thread other than to reinforce your preconceived notions on religion, which, while unfortunate, are not something I wish to put the effort into changing. I'm no evangelist.

So I'd rather not try and explain my beliefs to someone who's just going to out and belittle them, especially considering that I have no problem with understanding and accepting yours, irregardless of whether or not I agree.

Serious question: Why is faith worth having? Don't give me testimony, or "I feel like…", I would really like a good solid argument as to why faith should be something worth pursuit.

hellclerk

ivedoneyourmom said:
Serious question: Why is faith worth having? Don't give me testimony, or "I feel like…", I would really like a good solid argument as to why faith should be something worth pursuit.
Do you have faith that when you cross the street someone won't try and run you over? Do you have faith that the train you're on will make it to its destination? Do you believe that the employees at the Taco Bell you go to won't spit in your 7 layer burrito? Do you feel that your best friend will be there for you when you need it most, even if it's inconvenient? Do you think there's someone out there you can love truly and deeply? We exercise faith on a daily basis, and if you don't have faith in a being greater than your comprehension that you're not even sure exists, it's fine. Not everyone can bring themselves to that. I don't really care what you have faith in, just have faith and keep hope, because otherwise the world is a dark and cruel place, and that's a bad way to be. You just won't get anything done if all you're thinking about is being dust in the wind.

doomed1 said:

Im here to try and gain understanding. I don't "get it" and I'm asking questions to see if someone can explain it.

Im not trying to alter my views im trying to understand yours.

Most conversations seem to boil down to faith it seems. Mostly, things like well, I believe just cause or cause of pascal's wager.

I'm not convinced of the importance of faith.

JGS said:
I still check the religion thread but if it's not in the first few pages I assume it's died out until another time.

I personally feel there is more than enough evidence to suggest there is a God but it really just boils down to odds. I do not think it is possible and never will be possible for life to come about without creation being some part of it. This doesn't have much to do with evolution and entirely to do with life starting or evolving between kinds which there is no proof beyond pictures and essays.

Although any analogy to tie this together gets shot down, it really is as simple as it's more likely for complex things to start out created and then go from there.

Proof is all it would take. I'm very open minded and my faith is strong until it is disproven and then I'm up for change. The proof can come in two ways.
1. Proof of a large conspiracy on the part of writing the Bible. Accusations fly but they tend to be on the basis of dismissing chunks of it and not on actually disproving it. A conspiracy in the Bible would need to cover centuries of deception, proof od non-existence, and verification that there were indeed different writers. This would involve complicity across at least 2 different religions and potentially millions of people even before leaving the 1st century.

2. Time travel since that's really the only way to know that life started with a bang or with the mysterious super cell that defied cell theory to start everything.

Otherwise, I don't think I will ever get out of a natural disposition to believe in something bigger than me. It doesn't necessarily have to be God I guess, but even if it were Zeus or Buddha or anything else, it still lends to the idea that creation was the key. I personally feel that the pieces of the puzzle fit better in Christian Doctrine.

I suppose if scientists discovered the start of life with no time travel involved that would be a start too. Lab work does not count. It's impressive, but far from proof.

No, I don't think this. Sin is pretty much genetic. The standard for eternal life requires perfection, otherwise there's nothing special about perfection itself. Humanity is trapped by sin right now, but Jesus is the reason we aren't held captive to it forever.

I don't know since the Bible doesn't concern itself with it. I personally believe it's both. Evolution can occur simply by changes in environment so, assuming the earth's been arond for billions of years, science has verified time and again that massive changes can occur in very brief periods of time. However, I also think that God can control the course of things or find ways to improve/change the design which would lead to variety. It's hard for us to imagine a million different species, I don't think it's that tough for a person identified as The Creator who is all-knowing.

This & the Trinity is where I diverge from most Christians. I do not believe in the slightest in Hell as a place of fiery torment for all eternity. Don't buy it. Further, there's no way I could really worship a God that endorsed that as a fitting punishment. I would try to fake it though!

Although the Bible discusses Hell, it doesn't discussing the way it is classically known. The few verses that discussed eternal torment were purely in parable/sign form and were pretty obviously explaining something else as symbolic language typically does. The Bible consistently discusses the wages sin pays = death and i believe that.

Hell is generally tied to death and the grave which is why faithful men like Job & Jesus are mentioned in relation to it. Job was preferring to be burned forever in torment to his plight? I doubt it. Why would Jesus have to go there even for a short time?

Thanks for the response JGS, I might put the responses and follow up questions back into number designations so it's easier to see what is in response to particular question. I also want you to know that I will do my best not to be offensive. The reason I say this is because I seem to reach a point where the responder feels like I'm attacking God and thus attacking someone really dear to them, and the conversation shuts down. Just let me know if I step over the line (in terms of what you feel comfortable with).

1: So I might make a couple of points here. The first sentence begins with the acknowledgement that there is evidence (other than the odds thing), is it evidence that I as an Atheist could look at and acknowledge as evidence as well? In terms of odds, I hold the the opposite view and thus this argument would be hard to class as evidence in any sense. I think the odds of an omnipotent, omniscient and omnibenevolent creator are far lower the life arising from natural, observable processes.

In terms life of starting (Abiogenesis) the most intellectually honest thing for me to say is, we don't know how it started... Now in saying that, there is work by scientists that seems to be on the path that leads to Abiogenesis naturally. The formation of organic amino acids, often described as "the building blocks of life", from inorganic chemicals is an interesting scientific model but we just don't currently know the actual first formation of 'life'.

Now you seemed to be implying that we haven't seen/observed Speciation other than within 'pictures or essays'. The amount of evidence that demonstrates the splitting and formation of new species is overwhelming and as such, is classed as part of the evolutionary theory (ie, it's a fact). I can provide some basic examples if you like.

2: Fantastic response, and all anyone can ask of someone. I'm the same, my position would change overnight if there was proof (based on evidence) of God's existence. So why do we hold completely opposing viewpoints? For me it's about the burden of proof (yes, monotonous I know lol), and the burden seems to lie with those making a claim, any claim, in this case the existence of God as described in the bible. You have in essence committed a logical fallacy, in this case 'an argument from ignorance' (do not take offence to this, I'm not calling you ignorant, I am pointing out the logical fallacy in your argument), as you are holding a specific belief as true because we don't know that it isn't true.

In terms of what would count as proof against God's existence, they are interesting pieces of evidence that you require. The biblical conspiracy thing seems strange to me, what sort of cover up would do it for you?

If scientists are able to recreate the process of Abiogenesis in a lab, that wouldn't be good enough for you? Where else are they going to do it? If scientists were able to recreate the conditions of the early earth and provide the raw inorganic chemicals that were present, and then life arose from those elements...That would be proof, undeniable evidence for the origin of life on earth. Can you explain why that wouldn't be the case?

3: I don't understand this response, sorry JGS. So 'Sin' is genetic, what does that mean?
Is original sin, the apparent sin that we inherited from Adam/Eve real? If so, how does the death of a man abolish those sins?

4: Not much else to add here, fair enough response.

5: WOW, was not expecting that response, you're the first Christian I have talked to who hasn't described Hell as a place of torment and that non-believers will burn in that place, I'm glad to hear that you have the moral compass to dismiss a being that would do that to your fellow humans if it were true.

This also opens up more questions for me. Where do non-believers (such as myself) go when we die? Where do believers go? So if there is no Hell, is its dichotomy (Heaven) not a place either?

There we go, hopefully you find something to chew on. I would also really enjoy some questions from you as well JGS, is there anything that you would like to know about my beliefs? Hopefully we can continue this interesting conversation.

Raist

Banned
doomed1 said:
Do you have faith that when you cross the street someone won't try and run you over? Do you have faith that the train you're on will make it to its destination? Do you believe that the employees at the Taco Bell you go to won't spit in your 7 layer burrito? Do you feel that your best friend will be there for you when you need it most, even if it's inconvenient? Do you think there's someone out there you can love truly and deeply? We exercise faith on a daily basis, and if you don't have faith in a being greater than your comprehension that you're not even sure exists, it's fine. Not everyone can bring themselves to that. I don't really care what you have faith in, just have faith and keep hope, because otherwise the world is a dark and cruel place, and that's a bad way to be. You just won't get anything done if all you're thinking about is being dust in the wind.

It's always coming down to the same arguments. "But you too have faith in this, you believe that!"

Yet I find it completely mindblowing that you guys would compare your religious beliefs, which appear to be so important and above all else, and talk among many other things about morality and the concept of a being infinitely superior to any human being, with crossing a street or a jerk spitting in a burger. It's like shooting yourself in the foot.

KtSlime

doomed1 said:
Do you have faith that when you cross the street someone won't try and run you over?
No, I understand that society has laws, specifically that hit and runs are illegal, most people don't try to hit me with their car I have no reason to trust aside from repeated experience of not getting hit by cars and my knowledge of the law, and knowing that most people attempt to follow those laws.

doomed1 said:
Do you have faith that the train you're on will make it to its destination?

Trains are typically on tracks and do not change destinations well unless you believe in magic, then I suppose you could worry about tracks rerouting themselves.

doomed1 said:
Do you believe that the employees at the Taco Bell you go to won't spit in your 7 layer burrito?
They may or may not, depends on a lot of factors. If they get caught they probably would get fired for being unsanitary.

doomed1 said:
Do you feel that your best friend will be there for you when you need it most, even if it's inconvenient?

Once again, this is based off of past experiences, times I have shared with my friends. It has nothing to do with faith.

doomed1 said:
Do you think there's someone out there you can love truly and deeply?

Like anyone, I can only know what I am told or observe, so when people tell me they love me either they can be telling the truth, or they could be lying. I infer they are telling the truth based on their past actions and if those past actions are congruent with what they are claiming.

doomed1 said:
We exercise faith on a daily basis, and if you don't have faith in a being greater than your comprehension that you're not even sure exists, it's fine. Not everyone can bring themselves to that. I don't really care what you have faith in, just have faith and keep hope, because otherwise the world is a dark and cruel place, and that's a bad way to be. You just won't get anything done if all you're thinking about is being dust in the wind.

None of your examples are of the same kind of faith as you are saying people should have in believing there is a god, let alone God from the Bible. I want an actual argument, not a bunch of vapid examples of people following societal norms.

Extraordinary claims require equally extraordinary evidence: You are trying to say that having "faith" in humans being humans, which has been repeatedly observed is equal to having faith in an all powerful, benevolent god creator, which has no 'evidence' other than a book written several thousand years ago. It's rather funny you could even come up with such an argument.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
Prologue said:
How do you guys "reason" out of tragedies when it comes to faith? Not sure if thats even the right word. You turn on the news and you see what is going on in the world. Family members are dieing, random killings in the street, earthquakes on one part of the world while others starve on the other side. I can't help but think sometimes that my life is going to be as difficult, I mean why wouldn't it? I know I'm not going to be the exception. How do you go about having a positive outlook on life knowing all this stuff is going on and sooner or later the shit is going to hit the fan in your life as well? Why would I get happiness when other people lack it? I'm not special.

Jesus very clearly told his followers that the rain fell on the just as well as on the unjust. Followers of Christ believe, first and foremost, that our lives here on earth are truly just temporary, and that the greater reward for us is not found here, on earth, but rather in Heaven where we will spend eternity. This place to believers is a stopover on the way to a better place, as we've been promised. The reward for faithfulness is not to be able to skate through unscathed here on earth, but to know that, by remaining true to our faith it will be rewarded in an afterlife which will be endless...

hellclerk

MorisUkunRasik said:
Im here to try and gain understanding. I don't "get it" and I'm asking questions to see if someone can explain it.

Im not trying to alter my views im trying to understand yours.

Most conversations seem to boil down to faith it seems. Mostly, things like well, I believe just cause or cause of pascal's wager.

I'm not convinced of the importance of faith.
Well of course you don't get it, you're belittling my explanation of exactly what you're asking. It's like making fun of a math professor because you think imaginary numbers are "fake" and wondering why he'd bother teaching them. You don't get it because you're not open to the metaphysical concepts I'm presenting. You don't have to accept them, but if you want to understand them, you can't outright reject them. You don't have to be convinced, you just have to understand that OTHER people ARE convinced and learn of faith's value to THEM, not necessarily to you.

ivedoneyourmom said:
*WHOOSH*

ivedoneyourmom said:
Over your head? And I had such FAITH in your ability to comprehend things. Damn, guess FAITH failed me, again.

Give me a real argument.

The entire concept of faith relies on good hope and lack of evidence, or else it wouldn't be called faith.

If you're problem lies with anyone having faith, because it isn't supported by evidence, then your beef lies with human nature itself/the definition of the word. As others have said, if you disagree with faith on the whole and request evidence for your beliefs, I don't know what you're doing in this topic. And to note, many Christians would cite the universe itself as evidence of a God, and many others would cite the universe as evidence of no God.

doomed1 said:
Well of course you don't get it, you're belittling my explanation of exactly what you're asking. It's like making fun of a math professor because you think imaginary numbers are "fake" and wondering why he'd bother teaching them. You don't get it because you're not open to the metaphysical concepts I'm presenting. You don't have to accept them, but if you want to understand them, you can't outright reject them. You don't have to be convinced, you just have to understand that OTHER people ARE convinced and learn of faith's value to THEM, not necessarily to you.

*WHOOSH*
You have no reason to be so defensive.

I don't get it and you have not explained yourself well at all.

And comparing faith in god to math is such a bad analogy that i'm not going to delve into why as it should be glaringly obvious.

KtSlime

FunkyMunkey said:
The entire concept of faith relies on good hope and lack of evidence, or else it wouldn't be called faith.

If you're problem lies with anyone having faith, because it isn't supported by evidence, then your beef lies with human nature itself. As others have said, if you disagree with faith on the whole and request evidence, I don't know what you're doing in this topic.

Why should you believe in things not supported by evidence? That seems like you are asking for trouble if you ask me. Why are you and others proud of circular logic and defend the inability to rationalize the things you are claiming to be true?

People that have this type of thinking should be sent to a mental ward.

Oh, and the Universe existing is evidence that the Universe exists, not that there is evidence of a watch maker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom