• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christianity |OT| The official thread of hope, faith and infinite love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
peterb0y said:
Well, I guess its more of an issue where I have studied pretty much all the Church has to say about it (Humanae Vitae, etc, etc), and I can't really come to terms how contracepting, and I'm talking within marriage here, is a mortal sin. From what I've read, NFP is a huge burden on some marriages.... I don't know... its just something that I guess I disagree with, and I sort of am torn because I am also a card carrying Catholic, but I find it hard that I will:
A. Ever meet a girl, even who is Catholic, who is down with NFP (considering that something like 98 percent of Catholics contracept, according to some study)
B. Ever come to practice NFP with my marriage, and that makes me fear for my soul I guess

Sorry if my post is all over the place, its just that the concept of mortal sin both scares and confuses me.

Edit: Its stuff like this:
http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=4999
http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=558637

Ok, I'll do my best.

I've struggled with this issue as well. I'm married, have 2 kids, and my wife and I have and still use NFP to plan our pregnancies. She became a Catholic however prior to us even being engaged (she was raised Lutheran-in-name-only), and it was she who sussed out the Billings NFP method. I guess I have had an easier road than some.

It's true that lots of Catholics do use artificial birth control, but one has to remember that the Church in the West virtually rejected Humanae Vitae. I can recall my priests, while growing up, saying that contraception would be accepted officially by the Church in my lifetime. For the majority of the past 40-50 years, the Church's teaching on this subject has not been praxis. And yet from what I can tell, with the 'new' generation of priests that are coming out of the seminaries now, this official position of the Church on this is being expounded like it was supposed to have been back in '68.

But I digress: I know a good number of Catholic young women, ages 23-35, and all of them use NFP, or are prepared to use it. A good litmus test is really just whether or not they attend Mass weekly. If they do, there's a strong chance they probably already know about NFP. I would actually rate your chances of meeting an actively Catholic woman who's down with the Billings method as quite high.

JGS

Banned
bonesmccoy said:
The position of the church is that sacred Tradition is just as important as sacred Scripture. For the early Church, there wasn't any such thing as canon, and Christians had many disagreements about which documents were part of the faith they'd been given by the Apostles, and which ones weren't.

So it's not about doubting the Bible, but accepting that we have what we have because of the actions of the Catholic Church.
I don't accept that. The Catholic church appointed itself as the provider of it because they were appointed as the official church. That does not mean that they were directly involved with the creation of it although they can be credited with it's wider distribution.

The church didn't arrive at the Scripture, the Scriptures arrived at the church. It didn't take a lot of effort since over a few hundred years, the letter were read and re-read. How that came to be has more to do with how inspired you think the Bible is. In any event, the canon was assemble by mid 2nd century worst case scenario and generally accepted as Doctrine at the time of writing- disputes notwithstanding.
When it comes to the use of images - and rosaries, and crosses, and the Mystical Body of the Church - I trust the Church's authority - the same authority you trust when you read the Bible 1,700 years after it was, essentially, codified.
Again, I don't trust that as the authority, but I would trust it even less so if they went contrary to what they authorized prior.

This is one of the bigger issues imo. The Church claims the mantle (Since no one beyond themselves or a politician gave it to them) and then claims that they can warp things as they see fit. They can within the confines of their religion, however they cannot unilaterally do this to Christianity- which existed well before them. So it is entirely appropriate for non-Catholics to leap frog their teachings and go back to the way it was orginially taught- no images.

I think we've drifted a bit here. I'm not talking about making representations of God, I'm talking about the use of images. I'm pretty sure you've made it clear that you're pretty much against the use of *all* images:
We would have to define images. If you think an image is curtains or building architecture, then we are not discussing the same thing. Honestly, I don't think we're disagreeing unless you're saying it's appropriate to pray/worship to the image as a symbol of God.
Is that really the case? So how, as I ask above, where some documents considered canonical, and some weren't? Why was Hebrews included, but not the Didache, or Pope Clement's letter? Who made these decisions, why did they make them, and why did people like St Augustine declare that without the Church's authority on this, he wouldn't have believed a lick of it?
They weren't accept because they were canonical to begin with. The early Christian congregation had no need to acknowledge a pope when they acknowledged the apostles and governing body. Just because a writing is about Christianity, does not mean that it belongs in the Bible.

In the OT, there are many references to a book describing the goings ons of the kings of Israel. However, they are no where to be found. Why? Because they weren't necessary. They were simply historical artifacts not meant to tie the Bible together.

Likewise, the writings you mention are not in unity with the rest of the NT just because they are mostly like the writings of the NT, so it's understandable why they would be rejected.

That's not the case: We have archaeological evidence from before canon was established of Christians making rudimentary 'churhes' in private homes and in catacombs. We can see their early depictions of Christ. We have testimony from St Justin Martyr of how these people prayed to God, what they did and said in Mass; these are traditions that predate the 27 documents of Scripture.
No one is dusputing that. The dispute was entirely on the Church's role in deciding what made up the NT. I say they didn't play a role in it at all except to firm up their own faith.
JGS, we know that the Bible doesn't and didn't explain the entire faith. For starters, the early Christians didn't have the 27 documents you rely on to practice their faith - they had to rely on the oral traditions handed out by the Apostles. And then we have 'official' teaching documents like the Didache that discuss things that are not dealt with in the New or Old Testament. The epistles themselves were not designed to lay out every facet of the faith: They were things address to specific churches at specific times to aid in doctrinal and dogmatic disagreements. Plus, we have the heresies of Nestorianism, Pelagianism and Arianism - these arose precisely because Scripture is not clear on several parts of the faith.
I'm not necessarily disputing this either. Jesus fortold that Christianity would evolve over a short period and then be overtaken by false religion. Because Christianity was so initially tied to the Jews, then Doctrine adjusted to let them know Jewish Law was not needed. In addition, the message had to evolve as it spread to lands amost entirely Gentile. However, as letters were written, commandments made, the congregation adapted to it. Everything that was written in the Bible was completed by the end of the 1st century. By the begining of the 2nd century, the apostasy that was fortold had already started (As seen in Revelation 1 as well as the letters of John.
And how can you say it grew in a 'much different way than the tradition Biblically'? (I'm not even really sure what you mean.) We have accounts from St Justin-Martyr and other Church Fathers of the mass, of bishops, of the Councils. We have St Peter being given the keys of heaven and the power to 'bind and loose' on Earth in Scripture. We have the records of the Church going back to the very beginning.
I mean that the authority you claim the church has used that authority to change what they originally accepted. Use of images is the example we're discussing.

Peter's keys to the kingdom has to do with Christian Doctrine, not just Catholic and adopting him as a saint does not mean Peter actually was Catholic by belief. I suppose if you say the Catholic church authorized it because Peter was Catholic, I suppose you may have a point. But it still does not explain the belief shift.
The early heresies of the Church arose precisely because Scripture doesn't lay it all out; here is a lot of our faith that we know because the Holy Spirit guided the Church through these periods of significant disagreement. Look at the Nestorian, Donatist, Pelagian, and Arian heresies, and how these were combated. It's not as if the dudes on the losing side of these battles were ignorant of Scripture - they were just making misguided attempts at looking deeper into the faith.
I disagree. The early heresies arose because they were what the majority of worshippers wanted to do in violation of Doctrine.

One only has to look at the constant battle over circumcision. The command that circumcision was no longer enforceable started very soon after the establishment of the Christian congregation. However, it continued on for decades- not because the rule wasn't established (Along with abstaining from idols), but because the people were insistent that it was necessary. That's why there was an expectation that Christianity would remain small but growing- because the Doctrine would not be a popular one although it was a lifesaving one.

The great thing about Christianity is that it requires very few rules to live life. However, those few rules are pretty weighty and take a lot of effort, so it was not necessary to add more to it.

Chaplain

I am at my church right now. Our live webcast is going to start in 3 minutes (7:30am PST). Click on the link below to watch the live webcast.

Quicktime Video Link

The sermon is on “Elisha Raised the Shunammite's Son” from 2 Kings 4:8-37.

The first 25 minutes is worship/music.
5 minutes are for announcements.
The sermon will last 1 hour (starts at 8am PST).

Chaplain

148209_1658901666392_1052646049_1811850_7381607_n.jpg

Video Bible studies for the week of May 25th.

Pastor Jon Courson - Revelation 15 (05-25-11)
Pastor Evan Wickham - Acts 5 (05-25-11)
Pastor Greg Laurie - Matthew 22 - "Following Jesus in the Modern World" (05-29-11)
Pastor Bob Coy - 2 Kings 6:5 (05/25/2011)
Pastor Brian Brodersen - Romans 7 (05/25/2011)
Pastor Skip Heitzig - Exodus 21 (05-25-11)
Pastor Skip Heitzig - John 14:12-14 - "Privileges of God's Employees" (05-29-11)

Video Bible studies for the week of June 1st.

Pastor Jon Courson - Revelation 16 (06-01-11)
Pastor Jeff Lasseigne - 1 Thessalonians 3 - "Living for His Return" (06-01-11)
Pastor Greg Laurie - Acts 3 - "Upside-Down Living" (06-02-11)
Pastor Jerry Sander - Luke 15:1 (06-01-11)
Pastor Brian Brodersen - Romans 7:14-25 (06-01-11)
Pastor Skip Heitzig - Exodus 22:1-23:14 (06-01-11)
Pastor Skip Heitzig - John 14:15-18 - "Four Part Harmony" (06-05-11)

Click on any link to watch a video stream.

Chaplain

How Alcoholics Anonymous Doctrines (12 Step Programs) compare with Biblical Scripture

AA ~ The Broad Road of AA

"To us, the Realm of the Spirit is broad, roomy, all inclusive; never exclusive, or forbidding...." Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 46.

Bible ~ The Narrow Road of Christ

"“You can enter God’s Kingdom only through the narrow gate. The highway to hell is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose that way. But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it." (Matt 7:13-14).

AA ~ Contempt for Sound Doctrine

"Any number of alcoholics are bedeviled by the dire conviction that if they ever go near AA, they will be pressured to conform to some brand of faith or theology." As Bill Sees It, p. 201.

Bible ~ Sound Doctrine

"For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine…" (2 Tim 4:3-4).

AA ~ "God-as-you-understand-Him"

Any Name "We suggest that you find a substitute for this destructive power, alcohol, and turn to a Higher Power, regardless of the name by which you may identify that power. We suggest that you turn your will and your life over to God, as you understand Him." The Clergy Ask About Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 9.

Bible ~ Jesus Christ: No Other Name

"There is salvation in no one else! God has given no other name under heaven by which we must be saved." (Acts 4:12).

AA ~ Powerlessness

"We admitted we were powerless over alcohol, that our lives had become unmanageable" (Step 1).

Bible ~ Power in Christ

No believer can claim to be powerless: "For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength" (Philip 4:13).

AA ~ Spiritual Awakening

"Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps…" (Step 12).

Bible ~ Spiritually Dead in Sin

Man is spiritually dead, not asleep. He needs resurrection, not awakening. "Even though we were dead because of our sins, [God] gave us life when he raised Christ from the dead" (Eph 2:5).

AA ~ The "Big Book": AA’s "Bible"

Portions of the "Big Book," Alcoholics Anonymous, are read "religiously" at every AA meeting, much like Scripture readings at Christian worship services.

Bible ~ Sufficient for Life & Godliness

"By his divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a godly life. We have received all of this by coming to know him, the one who called us to himself by means of his marvelous glory and excellence." (2 Peter 1:3).

AA ~ Leadership: "Trusted Servants"

"Our leaders are but trusted servants. They do not govern" (Tradition 2).

Bible ~ Leadership: Elders

AA’s leaders and individual sponsors usurp the role God has ordained for church elders to shepherd and "feed the flock of God which is among you" (1 Peter 5:2).

AA ~ The "Moral Inventory"

Step 4 requires a "searching and fearless moral inventory," essentially a detailed catalogue of past sins to be "confessed" to some other person to whom such confession is not biblically due.

Bible ~ No Condemnation

As Christians, our sins are fully covered by the blood of Christ. We confess our sins, as appropriate, to God and to those actually sinned against. New believers are nowhere in Scripture required to make a detailed list of all past sins. "So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus" (Rom 8:1).

AA ~ "Birthdays"

AA members celebrate annual "birthdays" based on the date of their last drink. They practice a "secular regeneration."

Bible ~ Regeneration by the Holy Spirit

Christians celebrate their new birth in Christ.

AA ~ The Goal: Sobriety

The goal of AA is abstinence from alcoholic beverages (sobriety). Other sins, such as sexual immorality, are commonly tolerated so long as the AA member isn’t drinking.

Bible ~ The Goal: Sanctification

"For God knew his people in advance, and he chose them to become like his Son" (Rom 8:29).

AA ~ Fellowship/Unity: A Common Sin

AA’s fellowship is built around the common sin of drunkenness. "Personal recovery depends upon AA unity" (Tradition 1).

Bible ~ Fellowship/Unity

A Common Salvation "For there is one body and one Spirit, just as you have been called to one glorious hope for the future. There is one Lord, one faith, one baptism, and one God and Father, who is over all and in all and living through all" (Eph 4:4-6).

AA ~ Carrying "the Message"

"Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics and to practice these principles in all our affairs" (Step 12).

Bible ~ Christian Evangelism

" Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age" (Matt 28:19-20).

AA ~ Incurable Disease

AA’s literature is permeated with the dogma, taught faithfully to newcomers, that "once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic." There is no "cure" offered, only continual abstinence from all alcoholic beverages.

Forgiven Sin

"Don’t you realize that those who do wrong will not inherit the Kingdom of God? Don’t fool yourselves. Those who indulge in sexual sin, or who worship idols, or commit adultery, or are male prostitutes, or effeminate, or are thieves, or greedy people, or drunkards, or are abusive, or cheat people—none of these will inherit the Kingdom of God. Some of you were once like that. But you were cleansed; you were made holy; you were made right with God by calling on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. (1 Cor 6:9-11).

More at the link below:

12 STEPS TO DESTRUCTION: Codependency/Recovery Heresies

Chaplain

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
ULTROS! said:
As much as I'm a believer, I find this utterly ridiculous:

CBCP (Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines) have trademarked the term, “Catholic™”

The CBCP is really insane in my country. They really get involved into politics. :/

Of course it is ridiculous. It is a spoof/satire.

I kind of guess that the CBCP isn't a legal entity capable of holding a trademark; since there doesn't seem to be any trade involved a trademark would probably not be granted anyway or be enforceable if it were granted; besides, the purported restraints don't sound all that realistic and in any case use of a trademark would be reserved to an organisation or individual and its licensees - and there's no question in canon law about whether individuals are the licencees of the church, of course they aren't.

Oh, and I just checked with the Philippines Intellectual Property Office and it isn't true.

So there.

EDIT: That's of course assuming you were serious?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Didn't realize it was satire. My brother reposted this to me like it was real and true (he has a firm "hatred" towards CBCP).

I'm just... Flabbergasted how the CBCP is getting so much hate and controversy nowadays in our country.

There were these rumors that if a Catholic Christian supported the RH Bill (a controversial bill), they'd be excommunicated.

SRG01

Is the born again experience supposed to be uncomfortable and unsettling at times? I've been feeling small "clicks" lately, but I'm not sure if I'm just approaching a greater understanding or if I'm actually having a born again experience.

Help???? :(

SRG01 said:
Is the born again experience supposed to be uncomfortable and unsettling at times? I've been feeling small "clicks" lately, but I'm not sure if I'm just approaching a greater understanding or if I'm actually having a born again experience.

Those are just spider eggs hatching in your brain. Once they start building webs the clicks get muffled and it's much easier to deal.

Chaplain

SRG01 said:

Not to my knowledge.

"Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places." Ephesians 6

What you described can be linked to spiritual oppression.

JGS said:
I don't accept that. The Catholic church appointed itself as the provider of it because they were appointed as the official church. That does not mean that they were directly involved with the creation of it although they can be credited with it's wider distribution.

And yet all I have been saying is that the document you have, in your hands, was codified by the Church. Yes, many groups in in those days had collections of documents that resembled Scripture, but there was no universal agreement on what was canon and what wasn't. Overtime, the study of scripture - by Catholics - lead to the development of canon, the exclusion of the apochrypal books, all of which was basically finalized by the Synod of Hippo.

JGS said:
Again, I don't trust that as the authority, but I would trust it even less so if they went contrary to what they authorized prior.

This is one of the bigger issues imo. The Church claims the mantle (Since no one beyond themselves or a politician gave it to them) and then claims that they can warp things as they see fit. They can within the confines of their religion, however they cannot unilaterally do this to Christianity- which existed well before them. So it is entirely appropriate for non-Catholics to leap frog their teachings and go back to the way it was orginially taught- no images.

Yes, the Church asserts, as it always has done, that it preserves and promulgates the Faith. Warping things, I of course completely disagree. I'd enjoy discussing what exactly the Church has 'warped' in your view, particularly since the Church is the only reason why you even have a record of what was 'originally' taught. I'm seeing a bit of a normative issue here.

Consider Basil, a Christian circa the 370s AD: "Of the dogmas and kerygmas preserved in the Church, some we possess from written teaching and others we receive from the tradition of the Apostles, handed on to us in mystery. In respect to piety both are of the same force. No one will contradict any of these, no one, at any rate, who is even moderately versed in matters ecclesiastical. Indeed, were we to try to reject unwritten customs as having no great authority, we would unwittingly injure the Gospel in its vitals."

JGS said:
I say they didn't play a role in it at all except to firm up their own faith.

Ok - hold for a moment here. Firm up 'their own faith'? I'm not really sure what this even means, considering the origins of the Bible. I can see you saying this about what the Church considers Tradition, but to apply it to Scripture doesn't make sense.

JGS said:
Jesus fortold that Christianity would evolve over a short period and then be overtaken by false religion. Because Christianity was so initially tied to the Jews, then Doctrine adjusted to let them know Jewish Law was not needed. In addition, the message had to evolve as it spread to lands amost entirely Gentile. However, as letters were written, commandments made, the congregation adapted to it. Everything that was written in the Bible was completed by the end of the 1st century. By the begining of the 2nd century, the apostasy that was fortold had already started (As seen in Revelation 1 as well as the letters of John.

You've spent the last few lines of html telling me that the Church's appeal to Tradition is bupkis, and then made here an appeal your own interpretation of Scripture, ie applied your own lower case tee tradition to our conversation. By whose authority do you interpret Scripture this way?

JGS said:
I mean that the authority you claim the church has used that authority to change what they originally accepted. Use of images is the example we're discussing.

Peter's keys to the kingdom has to do with Christian Doctrine, not just Catholic and adopting him as a saint does not mean Peter actually was Catholic by belief. I suppose if you say the Catholic church authorized it because Peter was Catholic, I suppose you may have a point. But it still does not explain the belief shift.

I don't see a shift, historically, since Christians have used images since the very beginning.

And again: How do you know what Tu Es Petrus means? Whose the authority are you basing your interpretation of this passage on?

JGS said:
I disagree. The early heresies arose because they were what the majority of worshippers wanted to do in violation of Doctrine.

For you, I guess, everything after 100 AD is heresy of some sort. No? Isn't that what you've already posited?

The heresies were never as simplistic as just 'what the majority of worshippers wanted to do'. People behind heresies, especially guys like Arius, Nestorius and Tertullian, they studied the shit out of the Scripture and formulated answers to serious questions about Christianity. They most certainly were not following the whimsy of their respective congregations.

What troubles me is that these heresies were defeated by the Catholic Church, and you appear to be completely unaware of this, or at least strangely reluctant to acknowledge the Church's role.

To sum, JGS, I really appreciate this convo - and I'm sorry it took my nearly a month to respond. I think we've reached as far as we can probably go, so I'm going to break one of my cardinal rules of forum etiquette, and recommend this link if you're interested in reading a brief essay that was written by an Evangelical who eventually crossed the Tiber.

PS - I just found out that my wife and I will be welcoming a 3rd child to our family this November. God is great!

Chaplain

The authors of the book "Twelve Steps to Destruction: Codependency/Recovery Heresies" have made their book available as a free e-book download.

http://www.pamweb.org/e-books/12steps-ebk.pdf

Product Description

This book is written for those who are suffering from the trials of life and for those who want to help. It is for those who are thinking about joining a recovery group or entering a treatment center for addiction or codependency. It is also for those who are currently in such a program and for those have tried twelve-step programs and found them lacking. The Bobgans examine codependency/recovery teachings, Alcoholics Anonymous, twelve-step groups, and addiction treatment programs from a biblical, historical, and research perspective. They urge believers to trust in the sufficiency of Christ, the Word of God, and the fellowship of the saints.

Table of Contents

1. And Codependency for All
2. And Her Name is Codependence
3. Love Misunderstood and Misapplied
4. Twelve Step Programs: Sin or Sickness?
5. Twelve-Step Religions
6. Twelve-Step Idolatry
7 Here's Looking at Me
8. Judging by What Standard?
9. Sinful Substitutes
10. Commitment to Recovery
11. Religions of Recovery

Does anyone else in this thread visit the First Things web site?

I was a big fan of the journal until it became utterly dominated by neo-conservatives. In the past 2 years they've cleared out most of the neo-conservatives, and it seems to be back on track.

Hey. Long time Catholic, first time poster in this thread. I've seen this thread around but it's hard admitting your religion on the internet. You see so many atheists that you just don't want to get into arguments. Well, now that I made an ass of myself when someone posted something in a thread in the Gaming forum, I figured I've got nothing to lose now. Thanks again to AceBandage for indirectly talking some sense into me.

I go to a beautiful church with two parishes: the English-speaking parish of which I'm a member is quite small. I go to mass each week where I'm an usher and a lector, and volunteering at a restaurant for the poor run by Capuchins right afterward.

When it comes to the nuances of my faith, I'm probably pretty lacking. I've never read the Bible in its entirety (A Catholic who isn't up on the Bible? Shocking, I know!) but I try my best to listen to the priest's interpretations of the Gospel and other readings via the sermons. And of course, I don't have any issues with Protestants of all stripes, and I wish we would focus on our similarities much more than our differences. Seriously, being called a filthy papist hurts...not that I'm accusing anyone here; just in general. :(

At any rate, I noticed Fernando never got an answer to his question from last month:

Fernando Rocker said:
Can you guys help with some Bible passages about what to say to people (to help them) who believes in superstitions, bad luck, tarot, sorcery, astrology, divination, etc?

First of all, again only my Catholic perspective, Bible passages aren't always the best way to get a convincing argument across, but that's not what you're asking, so let me try.

Old Testament there's a good one in Deuteronomy (4:19) - it basically tells you not to be tempted into worshipping astral (avoiding the term heavenly to prevent confusion) bodies.

New Testament is a bit tougher; after all, don't some translations of the Gospel refer to the magi as astrologers, and heck, isn't magi just a plural of magus? If so, and they were using astrology to find and worship Jesus, was that wrong...sort of thing? It's unclear. Still, I'd say that Jesus' "it is not for you to know the day or the hour" (paraphrasing here) would be a good counter-argument to forms of divination.

Hope that helps? Other thoughts?

Chaplain

someguyinahat said:
Other thoughts?

God considers doing these things evil:

"Manasseh also sacrificed his own sons in the fire in the valley of Ben-Hinnom. He practiced sorcery, divination, and witchcraft, and he consulted with mediums and psychics. He did much that was evil in the Lord’s sight, arousing his anger." - 2 Chronicles 33:6

God calls those who do these things spiritual prostitutes:

“I will also turn against those who commit spiritual prostitution by putting their trust in mediums or in those who consult the spirits of the dead. I will cut them off from the community." Leviticus 20:6

People who consult mediums and dead spirits are blind (living in darkness):

"Someone may say to you, “Let’s ask the mediums and those who consult the spirits of the dead. With their whisperings and mutterings, they will tell us what to do.” But shouldn’t people ask God for guidance? Should the living seek guidance from the dead? Look to God’s instructions and teachings! People who contradict his word are completely in the dark." - Isaiah 8:18-20

Jesus said that those who witchcraft, when they have died, will be sent to the Lake of Fire:

“But cowards, unbelievers, the corrupt, murderers, the immoral, those who practice witchcraft, idol worshipers, and all liars—their fate is in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.” - Revelation 21:8

Threads like this bring great encouragement to me. Been going through a tough time in this day & age where almost no one cares or even honors the Lord, let alone talk about Him. Blessings to everyone that contributed to this thread.

I am a fellow Christian, and pray everyone here gets to know the Lord personally & intimately if you haven't already.

Missed church today, but you better believe I was worshipping the Lord here at home. Listened to some preaching by Ravi Zacharias on "Is Jesus The Only Way?". It was great. I enjoyed the series immensely.

Blessings...

JGS

Banned
bonesmccoy said:
And yet all I have been saying is that the document you have, in your hands, was codified by the Church. Yes, many groups in in those days had collections of documents that resembled Scripture, but there was no universal agreement on what was canon and what wasn't. Overtime, the study of scripture - by Catholics - lead to the development of canon, the exclusion of the apochrypal books, all of which was basically finalized by the Synod of Hippo.
It wasn't codefied by the church unless you think the Catholic Church started when the letters were written and accepted by the Christian congregation. If that's the case, we agree. However, it's safe to say that what the church approved and what they accept now are pretty different.
bonesmccoy said:
Yes, the Church asserts, as it always has done, that it preserves and promulgates the Faith. Warping things, I of course completely disagree. I'd enjoy discussing what exactly the Church has 'warped' in your view, particularly since the Church is the only reason why you even have a record of what was 'originally' taught. I'm seeing a bit of a normative issue here.
We've already discussed to the extent I want to in idols alone. However, Catholicism does not preserve the faith except the Catholic faith which again is their right, but again Christinaity is/should be based on Doctrine from the Bible not on whatever fits at the particular time a particular religious leader states it.
bonesmccoy said:
Consider Basil, a Christian circa the 370s AD: "Of the dogmas and kerygmas preserved in the Church, some we possess from written teaching and others we receive from the tradition of the Apostles, handed on to us in mystery. In respect to piety both are of the same force. No one will contradict any of these, no one, at any rate, who is even moderately versed in matters ecclesiastical. Indeed, were we to try to reject unwritten customs as having no great authority, we would unwittingly injure the Gospel in its vitals."
There's nothing mysterious about Christian teaching. The mystery could just as simply be someone pulling a Muhammed and claiming the spoke to God. What exactly makes Catholic Doctrine outside of Scripture more valuable than what can be found in the Koran?
bonesmccoy said:
Ok - hold for a moment here. Firm up 'their own faith'? I'm not really sure what this even means, considering the origins of the Bible. I can see you saying this about what the Church considers Tradition, but to apply it to Scripture doesn't make sense.
Basically, they used the Scriptures to the extent that they needed to strengthen their religion. The Bible was a unifier just by existence. However, it was not needed in regards to the actual teachings which fortunately over the centuries have become kinder and gentler to match up with actual Doctrine rather than laity control.

They are not alone in doing this either- just the largest religious organiztion to do so.
bonesmccoy said:
You've spent the last few lines of html telling me that the Church's appeal to Tradition is bupkis, and then made here an appeal your own interpretation of Scripture, ie applied your own lower case tee tradition to our conversation. By whose authority do you interpret Scripture this way?
That's not interpretation. Intepretation would be anything involving Hellfire or who goes to heaven or whether God and Jesus are exactly the same person. What I said is said flat out in the Scriptures and the Scriptures are what give me the authority/ability to say it.

All I've ever said was what was Scripturally based. You, on the other hand, try to have it both ways by saying not only is the Catholic Church claiming credit for what I just stated but also the ability to not agree with what they sanctioned.
bonesmccoy said:
I don't see a shift, historically, since Christians have used images since the very beginning.
This is incorrect without citations verifying it.
bonesmccoy said:
For you, I guess, everything after 100 AD is heresy of some sort. No? Isn't that what you've already posited?
Not at all. There are any number of writings and that are in harmony with Doctrine. It's only heresy if it's opposition to Christian teaching. Idolatry is opposition to that. Not saying that's what you practice but I will maintain that many a religious person does.
bonesmccoy said:
The heresies were never as simplistic as just 'what the majority of worshippers wanted to do'. People behind heresies, especially guys like Arius, Nestorius and Tertullian, they studied the shit out of the Scripture and formulated answers to serious questions about Christianity. They most certainly were not following the whimsy of their respective congregations.
It depends. Some of them were very much that simple. Sex is a pretty good example. Most people like sex enough without the commitment to engage in it freely despite pretty clear condemnation of it outside of marriage. Why? The majority of people want it.

People like to have a representaive of what they worship. They like to see something to believe it. Most would prefer to worship in the easiest way possibe while still being able to gain salvation. The proof is in the pudding in just about every religion out there. None of the larger ones are made up of missionaries. The majority focus on secular matters until Sunday.
bonesmccoy said:
What troubles me is that these heresies were defeated by the Catholic Church, and you appear to be completely unaware of this, or at least strangely reluctant to acknowledge the Church's role.
Such as... I say the Catholic church created compormises that still exists until this day just to claim a victory God never asked for.

EDIT: Again, they are not the only ones to have done this, so not meaning to pick on them primarily. I don't see things as a Protestant vs. Catholic thing as I've never left the Catholic Church but have left Protestant ones for the same issues.
bonesmccoy said:
PS - I just found out that my wife and I will be welcoming a 3rd child to our family this November. God is great!
Congratulations!

TaeOH

TaeOH said:
I have found Wayne Grudems Systematic Theology podcasts to be a very worthwhile listen too.

http://apologetics315.blogspot.com/2009/07/wayne-grudem-systematic-theology.html

I found them on Itunes myself. Not sure if I agree with ALL of his theology (he is a young earth creationist), but he gives great backing for his beliefs and opened my eyes to the need to believe in the authority of the bible in a way I don't think I was seeing before.

I just got to his podcasts on the Providence of God. He is Calvinist. This is a great series, I want to study up on John Calvin now and learn more of what he taught because of my deep respect for Grudem through this series. I can honestly say that I don't understand how Calvinists can believe in the Providence of God in the way that they do. I was brought up Arminian, although these days I may lean toward Molinism because I my view of Time.

Guys... a few days ago, I was sleeping, and suddenly, I woke up very scared...

I heard a voice, but I can't remember what the voice said. And I felt like if someone was touching my neck. And in my dream I saw an Ophanim.

It was very scary... I can't stop thinking about it.

LosDaddie

Banned
The wife & I started taking a parenting class at our church. Not that we are having trouble with our daughter, but we figured a few 2hr classes couldn't hurt.

Chaplain

184374_1755734607155_1052646049_1999044_573082_n.jpg

Video Bible studies for the week of June 6 through June 26:

Pastor Jon Courson - John 21:15-25 (06-05-11)
Pastor Ben & Jon Courson - Mark 9:1-13 (06-12-11)
Pastor Jon Courson - Revelation 17 (06-15-11)
Pastor Jon Courson - Mark 9:14-29 (06-19-11)
Pastor Jon Courson - Revelation 18 (06-22-11)

Pastor Mike MacIntosh - Mark 10:46-52 (06-12-11)
Pastor Evan Wickham - Acts 6 Acts 6:1-7 (6-1-11)
Pastor Evan Wickham - Acts 6:1-7 (6-8-11)
Pastor Evan Wickham - Acts 6:8-15 (6-15-11)
Pastor Evan Wickham - Acts 7 (6-22-11)

Pastor Raul Ries - Romans 13:11-14 - Wake Up - Time Is Short! (6-26-11)
Pastor Jeff Lasseigne - 1 Thessalonians 5 - The Day of the Lord (6-22-11)
Pastor Greg Laurie - Matthew 22 / Revelation 2 - Follow Me! (6/19/2011)
Pastor Greg Laurie - Acts 5 - Honest to God (6/16/2011)
Pastor Jeff Lasseigne - 1 Thessalonians 4 - Catching Up with Jesus (6/15/2011)
Pastor Bob Coy - Ester - Anytime, Anywhere, Anything Esther (6/12/2011)
Pastor Bob Coy - Colossians 3:23 - What Do You Do? (6/9/2011)
Pastor Jeff Lasseigne - 1 Thessalonians 4 - Walk This Way (6/8/2011)
Pastor Greg Laurie - Matthew 22 - The God of the Living (6/5/2011)

Pastor Skip Heitzig - John 14:27-31 - Peace Where You Least Expect It (6/26/2011)
Pastor Skip Heitzig - Exodus 26-27 (6/22/2011)
Pastor Skip Heitzig - Luke 15:11-32 - A Dad You Can Come Home To (6/19/2011)
Pastor Skip Heitzig - Exodus 25 6/15/2011
Pastor Skip Heitzig - John 14:19-26 - Promises, Promises! (6/12/2011)
Pastor Skip Heitzig - Exodus 23:14-24:18 (6/8/2011)

Click on any link to watch a video stream.

Fernando Rocker said:
Guys... a few days ago, I was sleeping, and suddenly, I woke up very scared...

I heard a voice, but I can't remember what the voice said. And I felt like if someone was touching my neck. And in my dream I saw an Ophanim.

It was very scary... I can't stop thinking about it.

I wouldn't put too much stock in it. If you were being sent a message it would have been clearer than that.

Read the gospel of Matthew for the first time in like 8 years. Fun story, great characters especially Jesus but I have a question and I mean this honestly:

Why is Jesus so hypocritical? I ask this because I often found myself puzzled or even annoyed by what Jesus would say, do, or both. He seemed to have weird cognitive dissonance about certain things.

I got really pissed when the guy was burying his father, and Jesus wouldn't let him continue, saying "let the dead tend to the dead"

or when his mother and brothers came to visit him and Jesus abandoned them, stating his following were his true family. I found that pretty disrespectful and shitty of him.

James and his Brother (i forget), sons of Zebedee, literally left their father alone on the boat. probably ending their business and source of sustenance.

But then Jesus states things, quoting the old testament, that to turn against family, mother, father, etc. is a horrible, evil thing to do and those who do it "will be surrounded by screams and gnashing of teeth" (paraphrase)

BUT then! Jesus straight says "I come not in peace but with a sword, to turn son against father, daughter against mother"

HUH?

I understand that many of these things are to represent the old way replaced by the new kingdom of the spirit and all that, and putting god before family (which is shitty imo but i won't say more) but it seems just contradictory almost.

Please help with my questions, I would hate to have a misinterpretation of these things. Thank you!

JGS

Banned
I better put that most of these are my interpretation of it after research.
Alpha-Bromega said:
I got really pissed when the guy was burying his father, and Jesus wouldn't let him continue, saying "let the dead tend to the dead"
His father apparently wasn't dead yet. It's why that wasn't foremost on his mind. He was basically telling Jesus he would follow him once his father did die. Who knows when that would be.

Alpha-Bromega said:
or when his mother and brothers came to visit him and Jesus abandoned them, stating his following were his true family. I found that pretty disrespectful and shitty of him.
That's actually not hypocritical. His spiritual brothers and sisters were more important as they should be. It was a learning lesson that stressed the importance of not relyin so much on blood relations in regards to worship.

James and his Brother (i forget), sons of Zebedee, literally left their father alone on the boat. probably ending their business and source of sustenance.
I'm almost positive the other brother was the Apostle John. Not sure though. It's altogether posible that
a. They got their fathers blessing
b. They didn't know what they were getting into (lol)
c. I think he was related to them but can't remember

But then Jesus states things, quoting the old testament, that to turn against family, mother, father, etc. is a horrible, evil thing to do and those who do it "will be surrounded by screams and gnashing of teeth" (paraphrase)

BUT then! Jesus straight says "I come not in peace but with a sword, to turn son against father, daughter against mother"

HUH?
One can put spiritual matters first without neglecting their family. Jesus was very concerned for his mother for example. however, many who find out that they leave the family religion and join another don't take it so well. Jesus is basically saying that his teaching would be the cause of famly break-ups because the opposing family members will draw a line in the sand.
I understand that many of these things are to represent the old way replaced by the new kingdom of the spirit and all that, and putting god before family (which is shitty imo but i won't say more) but it seems just contradictory almost.
Why do you think that putting God first is less important than putting family first?

This may be the primary hang up since you already knew the answers.

Einbroch

Banned
Just throwing this out there:

My aunt was ordained as a Priest of the Roman Catholic Church yesterday. Obviously this goes against the Vatican, but I could not be more proud of her.

JGS

Banned
Fernando Rocker said:
So, guys... what is your view on extraterrestrial life?

Not counting God, Angels, etc...
I don't think they exist- at least not at our intelligence level. There could be some space cows floating out there I suppose.

I love watching sci-fi though.
Einbroch said:
Just throwing this out there:

My aunt was ordained as a Priest of the Roman Catholic Church yesterday. Obviously this goes against the Vatican, but I could not be more proud of her
That's interesting (Congrats)

Purely analytical questions:
How does that work?
Who ordains priests if not the Pope?
Does that person actually get in trouble?

Einbroch

Banned
JGS said:
Purely analytical questions:
How does that work?
Who ordains priests if not the Pope?
Does that person actually get in trouble?

1. She is ordained by a Bishop. She was a woman as well. There's the whole ceremony. Please forgive me if I get these wrong, I'm not Catholic. The laying of hands, the reading of rites, and the communion. There were other small things, like placing oil on the palms and the testimonials from members of the community. It was a fairly lengthy process. I believe it was over two hours in total.

2. The Bishop of the area. It wasn't explained clearly.

3. Yes. She, along with everyone else who takes place (not those in attendance, just those involved) are excommunicated from the Church. Their names go into a book and are shunned from all funding and support from the RCC. Luckily the church where it took place was in a liberal area of Minnesota. My aunt told me that sometimes the ordinations are picketed and such. She told me there were dozens more who helped her but could not attend or be recognized by the congregation because they were scared of the repercussions.

It was a very nice ceremony. In attendance were many gay and lesbian people. The organ player was a cross0dresser and there were many rainbow sashed Priests in attendance. She was ordained alongside another woman who was becoming a Deacon.

Einbroch said:
3. Yes. She, along with everyone else who takes place (not those in attendance, just those involved) are excommunicated from the Church.

So in other words, she's not ordained as a priest of the Roman Catholic church, but of a breakaway sect.

So, guys... what is your view on extraterrestrial life?

Not counting God, Angels, etc...

I don't know if there is or not - I'm inclined to believe there are probably lots of one-celled organisms out there, and maybe even some multicellular ones - but even if there were more intelligent ones I don't think it would discount anything. If God wanted to create sentient life on other worlds that would be His choice, and if they were revealed to us I'd treat them as brothers and sisters like any other human.

Einbroch

Banned
someguyinahat said:
So in other words, she's not ordained as a priest of the Roman Catholic church, but of a breakaway sect.
Basically, and she and all the members of the church call themselves Roman Catholics and believe they've done nothing wrong. They preach the same things, except when it comes to sexuality and feminism.

SLX

Banned
Orthodox Christian checking in.

Something I found amusing was the phrase "Israel crucifies their God" in regards to Christ. The greatest story ever told indeed.

Chaplain

Some songs to start off Sunday:

Brandon Heath - Love Never Fails

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nQy-aP_Koo

Mercy Me - Beautiful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hth7GzAoXos

Sanctus Real - Lead Me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLr6G8Xy5uc

Chris Tomlin - Indescribable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuihT9wRc34

Casting Crowns - Praise You In This Storm (live)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ype1xE0wzsg

Matthew West - My Own Little World

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9Yasgzjc0w

Third Day, Steven Curtis Chapman & Mercy Me - I See Love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0pfEoZPh7Q

Chris Tomlin - Our God is Greater

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlA5IDnpGhc

So I just started reading this little booklet called Navigating the Storms of Life which basically talks about "why the righteous suffer?" It details Job's suffering at the hands of God and how he questioned his faith but never actually lost it. I decided to read it since for awhile now I've been kinda feeling the same way. It's a really good read and you can actually read it here if you'd like:
http://discoveryseries.org/discovery-series/navigating-the-storms-of-life/

There's a pdf version.

eternaLightness said:
So I just started reading this little booklet called Navigating the Storms of Life which basically talks about "why the righteous suffer?" It details Job's suffering at the hands of God and how he questioned his faith but never actually lost it. I decided to read it since for awhile now I've been kinda feeling the same way. It's a really good read and you can actually read it here if you'd like:
http://discoveryseries.org/discovery-series/navigating-the-storms-of-life/

There's a pdf version.

Thanks for sharing.

=)

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Game Analyst said:
Two things.

1. To Everyone: please tell me your thoughts on this video:

I am entirely sceptical about this sort of thing. If we don't believe in the rabbinical tradition why should be be told to believe the revelations of a rabbi? (and in a youtube video without backup evidence forsooth). Smacks of old fashioned (and wrong) numerology to me. Besides, the purported link to 'after' Sharon's death seems to elide from 'after' to 'immediately after' somewhere in the middle.

It is a bunch of made-up tosh to whip up believers, and should be largely ignored.

To rely on such purported messages is to miss the point that we do not know when the end is coming. It's the wise virgins thing all over again.

2. MY THREE SONS - A Topical Study of Luke 15:11–32:

That's interesting. In particular I find it interesting that my perspective on the story changed through life, early on I was the dutiful, later I was the prodigal and now I am the father.

I'm less sure about what the story tells us.

For sure there's the life lesson for everybody which is basically "just because some guy gets lucky doesn't mean you are hard done by" - which with a bit of disentangling and unweaving translates to "goodness isn't a finite distributive quantity" (for the physicists amongst us).

So it's a good story against envy and a good story in favour of love and a good story in favour of responding, even extravagantly, to good things.

But I'm not sure it translates all that neatly by analogy to Jesus - it is a bit of a stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom