• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christianity |OT| The official thread of hope, faith and infinite love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, the problem with giving this advice back to a lot of Christians is that it doesn't instill the desired interpretation of the metaphor.

Many Christians have deeply internalized vast self-hatred and shame, regarding themselves as miserable and vile creatures purely because they're human. An inescapable state of suffering. How can they 'love thy neighbor' when they hate themselves?

Within that mental trap, it's proper and right to feel disgust at other people who are merely acting normal and human, because normal and human is a vile evil thing God has said is a sin.

Witness someone in this conversation expressing how they're upset that gay people say they're gay, because he doesn't go around talking about sex himself, since it's just so sinful.

You can't have a rational conversation about humanity with someone who is convinced humanity is inherently evil ('sinful'). That goes btw for anyone, not just Christians. Plenty of non-religious cynics and nihilists are impossible to talk to because they're wallowing in their own justification for self hatred and misery at the mere existence of humanity.

Though it may be easier to convince a cynic to reconsider their point of view, than someone whose hatred of humanity is based on supernatural doctrine that can never be 'disproved' with rational conversation.

which is why the mentality "before you love others you must love yourself" is so valid. Christians literally hate themselves in the most existential way, one has to or else you aren't recognizing your inherent sinfulness and disgusting foulness to the glory of god which explains how Christians cause so much pain and hatred on others.

Chaplain

Christians literally hate themselves in the most existential way, one has to or else you aren't recognizing your inherent sinfulness and disgusting foulness to the glory of god which explains how Christians cause so much pain and hatred on others.

Paul wrote:

"And I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature." Romans 7

Christians should hate their flesh. Not people or anything else. Why? Paul sums explains why:

"So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves. The sinful nature wants to do evil, which is just the opposite of what the Spirit wants. And the Spirit gives us desires that are the opposite of what the sinful nature desires. These two forces are constantly fighting each other, so you are not free to carry out your good intentions. But when you are directed by the Spirit, you are not under obligation to the law of Moses." Galatians 5

Let me know if you have any questions.

Grim1ock

Banned
I have got a general question for my fellow christian brethren that has been bugging me for a while. It's this concept of jesus dying for the sins of the world. Coming from a muslim background with many jewish friends as we understand that a human is responsible for his or her own actions. No body dies for you to go to heaven. That is pretty straight foward forward in my opinion.

because of this for me even concept like the trinity which is pretty hard to understand is even more complex. what do you think?

Fedos

I have got a general question for my fellow christian brethren that has been bugging me for a while. It's this concept of jesus dying for the sins of the world. Coming from a muslim background with many jewish friends as we understand that a human is responsible for his or her own actions. No body dies for you to go to heaven. That is pretty straight foward forward in my opinion.

because of this for me even concept like the trinity which is pretty hard to understand is even more complex. what do you think?

What Jesus had to do by dying for the sins of the world is actually a picture of Old Testament Judaism whereby the Jews were required to sacrifice spotless lambs and God would accept those sacrifices and atonements for their sins. God chose the Jewish people as a peuliar people distinct from all other peoples, so that he could have a nation whereby he could birth the Savior Jesus Christ into the world, and save mankind from his sins. Blood sacrifice for the remission of sins is a pillar of the Old Testament:

'For the life of a creature is in the blood, and I have given it to you to make atonement for yourselves on the altar; it is the blood that makes atonement for one's life.' Leviticus 17: 11

Jesus in voluntarily submitting to the will of the Father thus becomes the perfect sacrifice:

'The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!' St. John 1: 29.

In dying for the sins of the world the Father poured out his wrath on the Son. All of the deserved righteous wrath that we as human beings have accumulated throughout our lives before the all-seeing eyes of a Holy God (whether by thoughts, words, or deeds) was unleashed upon Jesus on the cross:

'Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him." St. John 3: 36.

We as human beings could never please an All-Holy God who demands perfection. The Bible says that our righteous works are as filthy rags before God. God's standard is perfection. At the great white throne judgement no one will be judged in relation to the worst of humanity's offenders, but by Christ's perfect standard. We as human beings have to declare spiritual bankruptcy and throw ourselves at the mercy of the court of heaven, and trust in Christ's righteousness alone. Paul addresses this:

'For I can testify about them that they are zealous for God, but their zeal is not based on knowledge. 3 Since they did not know the righteousness of God and sought to establish their own, they did not submit to God’s righteousness.' Romans 10: 2-3.

Grim1ock

Banned
What Jesus had to do by dying for the sins of the world is actually a picture of Old Testament Judaism whereby the Jews were required to sacrifice spotless lambs and God would accept those sacrifices and atonements for their sins. God chose the Jewish people as a peuliar people distinct from all other peoples, so that he could have a nation whereby he could birth the Savior Jesus Christ into the world, and save mankind from his sins. Blood sacrifice for the remission of sins is a pillar of the Old Testament:

'For the life of a creature is in the blood, and I have given it to you to make atonement for yourselves on the altar; it is the blood that makes atonement for one's life.' Leviticus 17: 11

Jesus in voluntarily submitting to the will of the Father thus becomes the perfect sacrifice:

'The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!' St. John 1: 29.

In dying for the sins of the world the Father poured out his wrath on the Son. All of the deserved righteous wrath that we as human beings have accumulated throughout our lives before the all-seeing eyes of a Holy God (whether by thoughts, words, or deeds) was unleashed upon Jesus on the cross:

'Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him." St. John 3: 36.

We as human beings could never please an All-Holy God who demands perfection. The Bible says that our righteous works are as filthy rags before God. God's standard is perfection. At the great white throne judgement no one will be judged in relation to the worst of humanity's offenders, but by Christ's perfect standard. We as human beings have to declare spiritual bankruptcy and throw ourselves at the mercy of the court of heaven, and trust in Christ's righteousness alone. Paul addresses this:

'For I can testify about them that they are zealous for God, but their zeal is not based on knowledge. 3 Since they did not know the righteousness of God and sought to establish their own, they did not submit to God’s righteousness.' Romans 10: 2-3.

who says God almighty demands perfection? We are humans. We are flawed by nature. and he should know this because he created us in the first place. It's like teacher expecting a student to get 100 percent in the exam because that is his standard knowing full well that is impossible for the student to attain

What kind of God is that? To make matters worse adam and eve commit a sin upon which all of humanity is born with it and the only way to get rid of all these sins is for an innocent man to die on the cross to expunge these sins. This is not a just or fair God in my opinion. One i am not responsible for what adam and eve did. Two sacrificing an innocent man is not just or fair and most important of all not loving. After all if God wants to forgive us he would. No one needs to die.

Chaplain

who says God almighty demands perfection?

Because the more we strive for it, the less we will commit evil and hurt ourselves and those we love.

What kind of God is that?

A God of love, that gives us His Spirit, so that we can live like His Son did every day of our lives.

To make matters worse adam and eve commit a sin upon which all of humanity is born with it and the only way to get rid of all these sins is for an innocent man to die on the cross to expunge these sins.

Jesus said that he willingly offered Himself for us. Why? Because "there is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends." While we were sinners, during the most horrible thing we have ever done or will do, God loved us and offers us the cure for the virus we all have. I see this as an amazing thing and I am grateful Jesus willingly came down and took the beating he did to give us all pardons.

This is not a just or fair God in my opinion.

God offers us the Spirit of His Son to live the way he originally created Adam and Eve to live. He gives us the ability, and strength to be hole and not sin.

If we were expected to live perfectly, like God wants us to, but he didn't give us the tools to accomplish this task, God would be unfair. But that isn't the case and we can do it with God's help.

One i am not responsible for what adam and eve did.

I agree. But you are responsible for all of the evil you have ever committed, will commit, have committed against others, and will commit against others. All of us are in guilty in some way. The Bible calls Jesus are defense lawyer. But this lawyer is not like normal lawyers. This lawyer, Jesus, only takes guilty pleas. If we admit to being guilty, Jesus will handle the case and win it 100% of the time.

Two sacrificing an innocent man is not just or fair and most important of all not loving.

Jesus said it is loving:

John 10:17-18
“The Father loves me because I sacrifice my life so I may take it back again. No one can take my life from me. I sacrifice it voluntarily. For I have the authority to lay it down when I want to and also to take it up again. For this is what my Father has commanded.”

John 15:11-13
"I have told you these things so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will overflow! This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you. There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends."

After all if God wants to forgive us he would. No one needs to die.

The way the Old Testament law was set up, was that only a blood sacrifice could atone/forgive sins. By Jesus dying, it showed all people who have lived how much God loves them.

Fedos

who says God almighty demands perfection? We are humans. We are flawed by nature. and he should know this because he created us in the first place. It's like teacher expecting a student to get 100 percent in the exam because that is his standard knowing full well that is impossible for the student to attain

strive for perfection? demands is not the right expression imo

I worded that wrong. I wasn't speaking of humans achieving perfection here on earth. The only man who has lived perfectly is Jesus Christ. I was talking about us trusting in his work on the cross, allowing him to live his life through us, and being clothed with his perfect righteousness.

What kind of God is that? To make matters worse adam and eve commit a sin upon which all of humanity is born with it and the only way to get rid of all these sins is for an innocent man to die on the cross to expunge these sins.

The thing is, Jesus is the incarnate Son of God. He did not just come into existence in the manger, he existed throughout eternity past with the Father and the Holy Spirit.

This is not a just or fair God in my opinion. One i am not responsible for what adam and eve did. Two sacrificing an innocent man is not just or fair and most important of all not loving. After all if God wants to forgive us he would. No one needs to die.

On the cross, God's mercy, justice, and love all meet. God demonstrates his love and mercy because he places the entirety of the world's sin debt on his Son, and it demonstrates his justice in that sin is punished. God cannot just wink at sin. Sin has to be dealt with.

Helscream

Banned

What kind of God is that? To make matters worse adam and eve commit a sin upon which all of humanity is born with it and the only way to get rid of all these sins is for an innocent man to die on the cross to expunge these sins. This is not a just or fair God in my opinion. One i am not responsible for what adam and eve did. Two sacrificing an innocent man is not just or fair and most important of all not loving. After all if God wants to forgive us he would. No one needs to die.

You have to understand that back in the Garden of Eden Adam and Eve were clothed in glory. Mankind was and still is destined for greatness, there is plenty of scripture to to prove that. When Satan came and deceived Eve and Adam sinned knowingly that is when sin and death had entered into them. They lost they glory that God had gave them. Thus all of the descendants of Adam and Eve would bear the curse of sin until a redeemer came.

At the beginning mankind was full of glory and righteousness. When Satan made man fall, it stripped us of this and made us sinful by nature. Sin became part of our biology. When you understand the Torah and what the "Curse of the Law" really means. You understand why the Redeemer had to be a kinsman of Adam (the Go'el). When you become saved and accept Jesus (Yahshua) as your Lord and Savior, you have access to the tree of life and regain what was lost at the Garden of Eden.

For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. If you read Romans 8 the apostle talks about us receiving the Spirit of Adoption.

And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

By becoming saved the glory and righteous that was lost is restored to you. The best example I can think of is think of humanity as nobility. God has and still does have great plans for humanity. When Satan came and made man fall, we were stripped of our nobility our rightful claim to the throne. When we become "heirs and joint heirs" we regain our nobility by being redeemed and sanctified through The Messiah.

You personally may not be responsible for what Adam and Even did. But if your understand the Old Testament and the book of Ruth is a great example. You realize that it had to be a kinsman of Adam to redeem all of humanity.

God is not lacking and incomplete. He didn't have to redeem humanity. But because of His love for His creation He sent his Son out of love to die for us that we could be redeemed.

If you really want a better understanding I think you should look at this video. Its a recording of Chuck Missler speaking about Adam as a type of Christ. I hope it helps you understand how the correlation between Adam and Even is similar to that of how much God loves his creation and wants us to dwell and have fellowship with Him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsaQf2UWzoU

Chaplain

I uploaded two new sermons to my soundcloud page. All of them can be downloaded or streamed for free:

1 Samuel 27 - How to deal with Discouragement and Despair
Download Link - right click/save as

King David became negative, discouraged, and began looking down on himself as Saul continued to chase him and try to kill him. This turned into a bad outlook, lack of prayer, pessimistic reasoning, and basing his faith on negative feelings. Discouragement caused David to move from where God wanted him to be, and go live in enemy territory. Pastor Joe Saliaz takes a look at David's situation and shows us how to deal with the very things David dealt with.

Extras: 1 Samuel 27 Bible verses, Written Bible Commentary on 1 Samuel 27

Tony Scotti - Progress (James 1:16-18, 8.12.2012)
Download Link - right click/save as

"Springing forth from corrupt desire is sin. Springing forth from sin is death. This progression to death is an inevitable result that Satan always tries to hide from us, but we should never be deceived about. Satan’s great strategy in temptation is to convince us that the pursuit of our corrupt desires will somehow produce life and goodness for us. If we remembered that Satan only comes to steal, and to kill, and to destroy (John 10:10), then we would resist the deceptions of temptation more easily."

Extras: James 1:16-18 Bible verses, Written Bible Commentary on James 1

Chaplain

How are we to approach God's Word?

1. "We come to the Bible knowing there is a God."

a. The Bible does not make elaborate arguments for the existence of God. However, it does tell us how we can know God exists.

b. The Bible tells us we can know God exists because of what we see in creation.

i. The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament shows His handiwork. Day unto day utters speech, and night unto night reveals knowledge. There is no speech nor language where their voice is not heard. Their line has gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. (Psalm 19:1-4)

ii. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:20)

c. Though many seek to deny the effectiveness of the teleological argument for the existence of God (the understanding that there must be a purposeful intelligence Who created this world), it still remains unanswered by the atheist or the agnostic.

2. "We come to the Bible believing it is the place where God has spoken to man, perfectly and comprehensively."

a. We believe 2 Timothy 3:16-17: All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

i. We can study God, but we can’t put Him under a microscope. We can only confidently know about Him what He chooses to reveal to us. What He chooses to tell us is profitable and useful for us.

b. We believe the Bible must be understood literally, that is, as straightforward and true according to its literary context.

i. The Bible is much more than a book; it is a library of books, and books written in different literary forms. Some portions of the Bible give a historical account, others are poetic, and some are prophetic.

ii. We must understand the Bible literally according to its literary context. For example, when David wrote in Psalm 6:6 “All night I make my bed swim; I drench my couch with my tears,” he used a poetic literary form. We understand he didn’t literally mean he cried so much that he flooded his room and set his bed afloat.

iii. But when the Bible speaks in a historical narrative, we understand it as literal history, not as make-believe fables and myths meant only to tell a spiritual story.

iv. If we don’t approach the Bible this way, then how will we approach it? Then it is all up to how anyone “feels” about the text. Though the teachings of Scripture may have infinite applications, they only have one true interpretation.

v. “The only proper way to interpret Genesis 1 is not to ‘interpret’ it at all. That is, we accept the fact that it was meant to say exactly what it says.” (Morris)

c. We believe the Bible is not a book of science; yet where it touches science, it speaks the truth. After all, if the Bible is false in regard to science or other things that we can prove, then we cannot regard it as reliable in regard to spiritual matters that we cannot prove.

3. "We come to the Bible knowing the copies we have in our hands are reliable duplicates (though not perfect duplicates) of the exact writings, which God perfectly inspired."

a. We can know this about the Old Testament by seeing the incredible care and reliability of the ancient Jewish scribes, demonstrated by the Dead Sea Scroll discoveries.

b. We can know this about the New Testament by knowing that because of earlier manuscripts, and a greater number of ancient manuscripts, the New Testament is by far the most reliable and exhaustively crosschecked ancient document we possess. Really, no more than one one-thousandth of the New Testament text is in question.

4. "We come to the Bible knowing the unique importance of the Book of Genesis."

a. The Bible would be incomplete and perhaps incomprehensible without the Book of Genesis. It sets the stage for the entire drama of redemption, which unfolds in the rest of the book.

b. Almost all important doctrines and teachings have their foundation in the Book of Genesis: the doctrines of sin, redemption, justification, Jesus Christ, the personality and personhood of God, the kingdom of God, the fall, Israel, the promise of the Messiah, and more.

i. Genesis shows us the origins of the universe, order and complexity, the solar system, the atmosphere and hydrosphere, the origin of life, man, marriage, evil, language, government, culture, nations, religion. It is precisely because people have abandoned the truth of Genesis that society is in such disarray.

c. Genesis is important to the New Testament. There are at least 165 passages in Genesis either directly quoted or clearly referred to in the New Testament; many of these are quoted more than once, so there are at least 200 quotations or allusions to Genesis in the New Testament.

i. Jesus declared the importance of believing what Moses wrote: “For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me; for he wrote about Me. But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words?” (John 5:46-47) We can’t say we believe in Jesus if we don’t believe in the Book of Genesis.

d. “I beg and faithfully warn every pious Christian not to stumble at the simplicity of the language and stories that will often meet him there [in Genesis]. He should not doubt that, however simple they may seem, these are the very words, works, judgments, and deeds of the high majesty, power, and wisdom of God.” (Luther, cited in Boice)

5. According to the New Testament, Moses wrote the Book of Genesis (Luke 24:27, Luke 24:44). We can surmise that he did this with help from actual written records from the past God had preserved. There are indicators of where these records begin and end. Note the phrasing of Genesis 2:4, 5:1, 6:9, 10:1, 11:10, 11:27, 25:12, 25:19, 36:1, 36:9, 37:2.

a. “Thus it is probable that the Book of Genesis was written originally by actual eyewitnesses of the events reported therein. Probably the original narratives were recorded on tables of stone or clay, in common practice of early times, and then handed down from father to son, finally coming into the possession of Moses. Moses perhaps selected the appropriate sections for compilation, inserted his own editorial additions and comments, and provided smooth transitions from one document to the next, with the final result being the Book of Genesis as we have received it.” (Morris)

The first five days of creation.

1. The philosophical importance of knowing God as creator.

a. The philosopher Jean-Paul Sarte stated the essential problem of philosophy: there is something, instead of nothing. Why? Everything else in our life flows from the answer to this question.

i. If everything around us, including ourselves, is the result of random, meaningless occurrences apart from the work of a creating God, then it says something about who I am, and where I, and the whole universe, are going. Then the only dignity or honor we bestow upon men is pure sentimentality, because I don’t have any more significance than an amoebae; then there is no greater law in the universe than survival of the fittest.

b. Some 100 years ago, there was a great German philosopher named Arthur Schopenhauer. By habit, he usually dressed like a vagrant, and one day he sat on a park bench in Berlin, deep in thought. His appearance made a policeman suspicious, so the policeman asked the philosopher “Who are you?” Schopenhauer answered, “I would to God I knew.”

i. And the only way we can ever really find out who we are is from God. The best place to find out begins in Genesis.

c. There are many possible answers to the question of how everything came into being. Some say, once there was absolutely nothing, and now there is something. Others (including the Bible) say before there was anything created, there was a Personal Being.

d. One day, students in one of Albert Einstein’s classes were saying they had decided there was no God. Einstein asked them how much of all the knowledge in the world they had among themselves collectively, as a class. The students discussed it for a while and decided they had 5% of all human knowledge among themselves. Einstein thought their estimate was a little generous, but he replied: “Is it possible God exists in the 95% you don’t know?”

Used with permission from David Guzik.

Hope I can post this here: Curious as to the opinion on how the Church is dealing with the Butler in comparison to how they deal with pedo priests. Maybe Im misinformed, so I thought I'd ask here.

Chaplain

Crazy news story that just happened recently.

Attorney: Police ignore Constitution, enforce sharia

Christians violently assaulted by Muslims at a festival in Dearborn, Michigan, now have legal representation.

The American Freedom Law Center is representing the Christians. Attorney and co-founder Robert Muise tells OneNewsNow the group of evangelists appeared at the festival with signs pointing to John 3:16 and T-shirts displaying a message in English and Arabic.

"And as they were walking down along the city streets and public sidewalks, they were literally stoned by a violent mob of Muslim youths," he explains. "Meanwhile, the local law enforcement did absolutely nothing. In fact, they sat on their hands and refused to enforce the criminal laws against the Muslim mob who were trying to silence, and effectively did silence, the speech of these Christians."

When the Christian group approached the senior officer at the scene asking for protection, the attorney says they were refused.

"They were given the choice: either the Christians leave the festival or the police would arrest them because of the response by the violent mob, which is a direct violation of the Christians' constitutional rights," he says. "The police have a duty not to effectuate what the courts have called a 'Hecklers Veto,' and certainly here you would expect the police to enforce the criminal laws."

So Muise says what happened was the enforcement of Sharia or Muslim law in the city streets. The punishment for blasphemy under Sharia "is capital punishment," or stoning. Muise is preparing a federal civil rights lawsuit against the sheriff's department.

(Charlie Butts, "Attorney: Police ignore Constitution, enforce sharia," OneNewsNow, 7/13/2012)

Is this the same event?

Detroit Free Press said:
Tensions flared Friday evening at the annual Arab International Festival in Dearborn as members of some Christian missionary groups — including one called the Bible Believers — taunted Arab Americans with a pig’s head and signs that promoted hatred of Islam.

“You’re gonna burn in hell,” one missionary shouted at a group of young Arab-American boys listening to him speak on Warren Avenue, where the festival takes place.

The festival continues today in Dearborn, but the members of the Bible Believers won’t be there because they’ll be protesting a gay festival in Ohio, said Arab Festival organizers.

The three-day festival is the largest public gathering of Arab-Americans in the U.S.; it has drawn Christian missionaries for years, but in 2009, some become more aggressive, leading to arrests and legal feuds. Dearborn has the highest concentration of Arab-Americans in the U.S., many of them Muslim, making it a magnet for some Christian missionaries.

The Bible Believers also protested at last year's Arab Festival, holding up both anti-Muslim and anti-Catholic signs and causing one Arab-American Muslim girl to cry.

About a dozen with the group stood facing the festival on Friday with signs that made bigoted remarks about Islam and its prophet, Mohammed. One of the missionaries had a pig’s head mounted on a pole that he displayed in front of his group. Muslims don’t eat pigs because their faith teaches that the animal is unclean.

Some of the signs the missionaries held read: "Islam is a religion of blood and murder" and "Muhammad (Islam's prophet) is a ... liar, false prophet, murderer, child molesting pervert."

Wayne County sheriffs tried to keep the peace; a few times, three officers on horseback rode by, trying to keep the young Arab Americans at a distance from the Christian missionaries.

At one point, some kids started throwing water bottles and pop cans at the missionaries. Others chanted “Allah-U-Akbar” (God is the greatest). One of the Christians shouted in response “Jesus Akbar.”

At another point, three girls wearing Islamic headscarves yelled back at the missionaries: “Read the Quran,” referring to Islam’s holy book.

A Christian missionary with another group told a group of Arab-American Muslim boys that they are ''transgressing against God.'' One boy then spilled some water on the missionary.

Most of the confrontations were between elderly missionaries and Arab-American kids.

Earlier in the day, a group of Christian missionaries targeted the biggest mosque in Michigan, the Islamic Center of America in Dearborn, standing right outside the mosque lawn to hand out fliers during Friday prayers.

In his Friday sermon, the imam of the mosque, Hassan Al-Qazwini, warned parents that some missionaries at the Arab Festival could target their children for conversion: ''Be careful. ... They could be taken (spiritually) from us.''

Other missionaries at the festival were less confrontational, handing out fliers telling Muslims to convert and handing out free Christian books.

One wore a T-shirt that read ''I (heart symbol) Muslims'' while handing out fliers that urged Muslims to ''accept the Lord Jesus Christ.''
http://www.freep.com/article/201206...ead-taunt-Arab-Americans-at-Dearborn-festival

The truth is usually somewhere in between, but I'm more willing to trust an independent newspaper than the attorney from a Judeo-Christian public interest law firm.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™

Interesting. Why do Christians insist on sending 70% of the world to burn in hell. I can't see how a person can believe in a religion, in a God, that supposedly gave us free will and still decides to burn more than half the population of the world because they chose, culturally or because they thought, another religion.

I mean, at the end of the day most of religion is just a cultural thing. People are fed this stuff since they are born and of course they think its the only way to think, many to the point of never doubting was is writting in, say, the bible. Kinda sad really.

It has to be. I want to know which version of the story is true.

I'll believe the Christian's flaring up the whole thing. They are excellent at it, proven time and time through the ages. I mean, they have Westboro :p

Raist

Banned
It has to be. I want to know which version of the story is true.

Well...

Bible-Believers-Dearborn.jpeg

Not saying the response was justified, but what the fuck were they expecting? A nice theological debate?

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Well...

Not saying the response was justified, but what the fuck were they expecting? A nice theological debate?

Those are the same dudes that come protest the Chicago Pride Parade. I recognize them and their bald guy in front.

My friend convinced me to go to her Scientology service this Sunday.

I'm somewhat thinking this is God trying to get me to go back to regular church.

mrbagdt

Those are the same dudes that come protest the Chicago Pride Parade. I recognize them and their bald guy in front.

I'm somewhat thinking this is God trying to get me to go back to regular church.

if i let him go to this thing, he will HAVE to come home... its... its an impossibility not to...

Raist

Banned

They don't seem like a bunch of bright people.

I find it rather remarkable that the article linked by GA doesn't make any mention of this, just talking about "signs pointing to John 3:16" and "T-shirts displaying a message in English and Arabic".

What a joke.

Chaplain

"In the beginning God (prepared, formed, fashioned, and) created the heavens and the earth." Genesis 1:1 AMP

Who created the universe, or did nothing create the universe?

God created: This summary statement will be detailed in the following verses, but the Bible simply and straightforwardly declares the world did not create itself or come about by chance. It was created by God, who, by definition, is eternal and has always been.

i. “It is no accident that God is the subject of the first sentence of the Bible, for this word dominates the whole chapter and catches the eye at every point of the page: it is used some thirty-five times in as many verses of the story.” (Kidner)

ii. If you believe Genesis 1:1, you really have no problem believing the rest of the Bible.

Is God a trinity?

God: This is the ancient Hebrew word Elohim. Grammatically it is a plural word used as if it were singular. The verbs and pronouns used with Elohim should be in the plural, but when Elohim refers to the LORD God the verbs and pronouns are in the singular.

i. Rabbi Simeon ben Joachi, commenting on the word Elohim: “Come and see the mystery of the word Elohim; there are three degrees, and each degree by itself alone, and yet notwithstanding they are all one, and joined together in one, and are not divided from each other.” Clarke adds: “He must be strangely prejudiced indeed who cannot see that the doctrine of a Trinity, and of a Trinity in unity, is expressed in the above words.”

ii. Leupold quoting Luther on Elohim: “But we have clear testimony that Moses aimed to indicate the Trinity or the three persons in the one divine nature.”

Does God give other details, not mentioned in Genesis, on how He created the heavens?

God created the heavens: The simple fact of God’s creation is even more amazing when we consider the greatness of God’s universe.

i. A typical galaxy contains billions of individual stars; our galaxy alone (the Milky Way) contains 200 billion stars. Our galaxy is shaped like a giant spiral, rotating in space, with arms reaching out like a pinwheel, and our sun is one star on one arm of the pinwheel. It would take 250 million years for the pinwheel to make one full rotation. But this is only our galaxy; there are many other galaxies with many other shapes, including spirals, spherical clusters, and flat pancakes. The average distance between one galaxy and another is about 20 million trillion miles. Our closest galaxy is the Andromeda Galaxy, about 12 million trillion miles away.

ii. For every patch of sky the size of the moon, if you could look very deep, you would see about a million galaxies.

iii. But God did all this Himself: “It was my hand that laid the foundations of the earth, my right hand that spread out the heavens above. When I call out the stars, they all appear in order.” (Isaiah 48:13)

iv. But God is bigger and greater than all His creation: "Who else has held the oceans in his hand? Who has measured off the heavens with his fingers? Who else knows the weight of the earth or has weighed the mountains and hills on a scale?" (Isaiah 40:12)

Does anything happen by chance?

God created the heavens and the earth: If God created the heavens and the earth, then we must forever put away the idea that anything happens by chance. “Chance” merely describes the statistical probability of something happening. Chance itself can “do” nothing.

i. People who are otherwise intelligent often fall into this delusion. Jacques Monod, a biochemist, wrote: “Chance alone is at the source of every innovation, of all creation in the biosphere. Pure chance, absolutely free but blind, at the very root of the stupendous edifice of evolution.”

ii. But assigning such power to “chance” is crazy. Chance has no power. For example, when a coin is flipped, the chance it will land “heads” is 50%; however, “chance” does not make it land heads. Whether or not it lands heads or tails is due to the strength with which the coin is flipped, the strength of air currents and air pressure as it flies through the air, where it is caught, and if it is flipped over once it is caught. Chance doesn’t “do” anything but describe a probability.

iii. When Carl Sagan petitioned the federal government for a grant to search for intelligent life in outer space, how did he hope to find it? By using a super sensitive instrument to pick up radio signals from distant space. When he received those radio signals, he looked for order and pattern, which would demonstrate the signals were transmitted by intelligent life. In the same way, the order and pattern of the whole universe demonstrates that it was fashioned by intelligent life, not by “chance.” Scientists detect “chance” in the radio signals constantly (in the form of unpatterned static), but it tells them nothing.

iv. Therefore, when someone says the universe or anything else came about by chance, they are extremely ignorant, superstitious, or just repeating a line they have heard before and have unthinkingly accepted.

Is God intelligent?

God created: Inherent in the idea of God is that He is an intelligent designer. Only an intelligent designer could create a just-right universe, not “chance.” Our universe is a just-right universe.

i. The universe has a just-right gravitational force.

· If it were larger, the stars would be too hot and would burn up too quickly and too unevenly to support life
· If it were smaller, the stars would remain so cool, nuclear fusion would never ignite, and there would be no heat and light

ii. The universe has a just-right speed of light.

· If it were larger, stars would send out too much light
· If it were smaller, stars would not send out enough light

iii. The universe has a just-right average distance between the stars.

· If it were larger, the heavy element density would be too thin for rocky planets to form, and there would only be gaseous planets
· If it were smaller, planetary orbits would become destabilized because of the gravitational pull from other stars

iv. The universe has a just-right polarity of the water molecule.

· If it were greater, the heat of fusion and vaporization would be too great for life to exist
· If it were smaller, the heat of fusion and vaporization would be too small for life’s existence, liquid water would become too inferior a solvent for life chemistry to proceed, ice would not float, leading to a runaway freeze-up

v. We could conclude that there is no chance that such a universe could create itself, apart from an intelligent designer.

Did God use pre-existing material to create the earth?

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth: This tells us that God used no pre-existing material to create the earth. The ancient Hebrew word bara (created) is specific. It means to create out of nothing, showing that that God created the world out of nothing, not out of Himself. God is separate from His creation. Unlike Eastern and pantheistic perceptions of god, the Bible teaches the universe could perish yet He would remain.

i. Men cannot “create” in the sense the term is used in Genesis 1:1. We can only “fashion” or “form” things out of existing material. The closest we come to creating is in reproducing ourselves sexually. This is perhaps one reason why Satan wants to pervert and destroy God’s plan and standard for sexuality; it is deeply connected to our being made in the image of God.

ii. Ginzberg has a fascinating legend on how the 22 letters of the Hebrew alphabet all wanted to begin the Bible, but in the end, the letter “bet” was allowed, because he said, “O Lord of the world! May it be Thy will to create Thy world through me, seeing that all the dwellers of the world give praise daily unto Thee through me, as it is said, Blessed be the Lord forever. Amen, and Amen.” So, the Hebrew Book of Genesis begins, “Bereshit God created the heaven and the earth.”

Is the story of creation a myth?

Some believe that Genesis only records a “creation myth,” meant only to show the greatness of God in poetic grandeur. Though there are poetic elements to the account, we believe it was still written to record a historical reality. Other Scriptures, in their approach to Genesis 1, demonstrate this.

a. Psalm 136 connects the Genesis account of creation with the rest of Israel’s history in a seamless fabric. The creation account is not put in a category of “historical fiction.”

b. Jesus quoted Genesis as if it were a purely historical record (Matthew 19:4-6 and 23:35).

c. C.S. Lewis wrote that when he heard a Biblical scholar say the Genesis creation account was a myth, he didn’t want to know about the man’s credentials as a Biblical scholar. He wanted to know how many myths the man had read. Myths were Lewis’ business as a literary scholar, and he could see the Biblical account of creation was unlike mythical accounts.

d. It is true that Genesis was not written primarily as a scientific document. But if God gave us a truly scientific, detailed account of creation, written in scientific language, there would be no one who could understand it and no end to the length of such an account. Even if it were written in simple, 20th-century scientific language, it would have made no sense to all previous generations and no sense to future generations either.

e. It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, but the glory of kings is to search out a matter (Proverbs 25:2). Scientific inquiry is the glory of man; yet it must all be done with utmost humility, realizing God conceals these matters for man to search out.

“Where did God come from?” and “Who created God?”

God did all this in the beginning, yet there was much before the beginning.

a. God Himself was before the beginning: Your throne is established from of old; You are from everlasting (Psalm 93:2). Some are troubled by the questions, “Where did God come from?” and “Who created God?” The answer is found in the definition of God - that God is the uncreated Being, eternal, and without beginning or end.

i. This is demonstrated in several passages of Scripture. LORD, You have been our dwelling place in all generations. Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever You had formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, You are God. (Psalm 90:1-2)

ii. J. Edwin Orr used a memorable definition of God, which was thoroughly Biblical: God is the only infinite, eternal, and unchangable spirit, the perfect being in whom all things begin, and continue, and end.

b. God was in three Persons before the beginning, and the Persons shared a relationship of love and fellowship: “Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You before the world was . . . for You loved Me before the foundation of the world.” (John 17:5, 17:24)

c. Before the beginning, there was an eternal purpose in the heart of God (Ephesians 3:11) to gather together in one all things in Christ (Ephesians 1:10). God’s purpose was to “resolve” or “sum up” all things in Jesus, as if Jesus Himself were the answer to a great and complex problem God wrote out on the “blackboard” of the universe.

d. Before the beginning, God had a specific plan to fulfill this eternal purpose, with many different aspects revealed to us:

i. The mission of Jesus was foreordained before the foundation of the world: He indeed was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you. (1 Peter 1:20)

ii. Eternal life was promised before time began: in hope of eternal life which God, who cannot lie, promised before time began. (Titus 1:2)

iii. The mystery of the gospel (the cross) was foreordained before the ages: But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God ordained before the ages for our glory. (1 Corinthians 2:7)

iv. The grace given unto us was given before the world began: who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began. (2 Timothy 1:9)

v. Believers in Jesus Christ were chosen in Him before the foundation of the world: just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love. (Ephesians 1:4)

e. At some time before the beginning, God created the angels, because they witnessed the creation of the heavens and the earth (Job 38:7).

Chaplain

Interesting. Why do Christians insist on sending 70% of the world to burn in hell.

Each person decides where they go when they die.

I can't see how a person can believe in a religion, in a God, that supposedly gave us free will and still decides to burn more than half the population of the world because they chose, culturally or because they thought, another religion.

A few things.

1.All people sin and must pay for their sins. God sent His Son to pay for the sins of all people.

2. People reject God's pardon for their sins and will remain separated from God when they die.

3. Jesus commanded his followers to go into the world to tell people that they are under God's wrath, must be pardoned, or will remain separated from God in this life and the next. This is why He came. So that people would not have to be separated from God.

4. God will reveal himself to anyone, anywhere, who wants to know Him. This is a promise He has given.

I mean, at the end of the day most of religion is just a cultural thing. People are fed this stuff since they are born and of course they think its the only way to think, many to the point of never doubting was is writting in, say, the bible.

God want's to reason with us and will help us if we ask. The problem is people, like you said, choose to believe what they are told, just like people believing politicians without verifying what they say is true, and then end up paying for it with their lives.

I'll believe the Christian's flaring up the whole thing. They are excellent at it, proven time and time through the ages. I mean, they have Westboro :p

Westboro, from what I have seen, is full of hate. They deny Jesus by not loving how He commanded us to love.

Well...

I find it rather remarkable that the article linked by GA doesn't make any mention of this, just talking about "signs pointing to John 3:16" and "T-shirts displaying a message in English and Arabic".

What a joke.

From the searching I did, that pic is from a previous event in June.

RiZ III

What Jesus had to do by dying for the sins of the world is actually a picture of Old Testament Judaism whereby the Jews were required to sacrifice spotless lambs and God would accept those sacrifices and atonements for their sins. God chose the Jewish people as a peuliar people distinct from all other peoples, so that he could have a nation whereby he could birth the Savior Jesus Christ into the world, and save mankind from his sins.

Nowhere in the entire Old Testament does it say this. That is not at all why they were chosen. There are several reasons mentioned in the OT (promise of God to Abraham, to spread God’s word, to conquer pagans, etc.) but the one you say is not one of them.

Blood sacrifice for the remission of sins is a pillar of the Old Testament:

This verse is quoted here out of context. Read the whole passage, it is talking about not consuming the blood of animals. Blood in general and especially the consumption of blood in ancient and modern Judaism is considered unclean and a big no no.

Also, blood sacrifice is not a “pillar” of the OT or of 1st century Judaism. There have always been other ways to atone for sin in the OT (using flour instead of blood, incense, asking for forgiveness, fasting, praying, stopping from doing evil, etc.). The tabernacle of David didn’t have any altar of sacrifice either and the Psalms also deny their importance (Psalm 40:6)

Further we find prophets such as Isaiah, Jeremiah, Amos, and Hosea denouncing blood sacrifice. Jeremiah says that at no time did God call their forefathers for blood sacrifice. He goes further and calls the people not to shed innocent blood and labels the Temple as a "den of robbers" (Jeremiah 7:11). The word for robbers that is used in Hebrew is 'per-eets' which implies a violent taking of life (ie: robbing a life). Why was he saying this? Well, it’s because what scholars have realized in the past century, much of Leviticus was composed in the 5th century, much later than Moses. I’ll come back to that. What’s more interesting and ironic is that Jesus, when cleansing the temple, uses the same words as Jeremiah.

"My house will be called a house of prayer for all nations. But you have made it a 'den of robbers.'"

At which point he sets loose the animals. Seems Jesus himself was against blood sacrifice. Not a surprise then that his own brother James, who led the community after Jesus, was a vegetarian. The Ebionites who descended from the Jerusalem church also rejected animal sacrifices.

The sacrificial rituals in Leviticus come from the Priestly source in the Tanakh which was composed around the 5th century BC when the priests were trying to reestablish their power after the return from exile, ie it was unknown to Moses.

This of course contradicts many other passages in the Gospels where Jesus asks that God pass this burden from him, asking God on the cross why he has forsaken him, etc.. It also stands contrary to the Tenakh’s comdemnation of human sacrifice.

Again this isn’t anything that is preached by Jesus in the Gospels nor is such an atonement ever foretold in the OT. This atonement of sin through the blood of Jesus is an anachronism as far as the 1st century is concerned. One can only atone for their own sins according to the Tenakh or as Deuteronomy very clearly puts it “every man shall be put to death for his own sin.”

We as human beings could never please an All-Holy God who demands perfection. The Bible says that our righteous works are as filthy rags before God. God's standard is perfection. At the great white throne judgement no one will be judged in relation to the worst of humanity's offenders, but by Christ's perfect standard. We as human beings have to declare spiritual bankruptcy and throw ourselves at the mercy of the court of heaven, and trust in Christ's righteousness alone.

God is not a tyrant though, rather he is Merciful and Compassionate as the OT says. There are countless examples in the OT of God telling us to ask for forgiveness and then forgiving people after they commit big crimes. Throughout the thousands of years of revelation and countless prophets, God asked us to do good works and seek his forgiveness. This was the way of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, and of Jesus. The concept of an atoning savior is not an idea present in the Old Testament or even in the sayings of Jesus, it is a purely Christian idea developed over centuries after Jesus.

Crazy news story that just happened recently.

I'd say that the amount of hyperbole in that piece does not speak much towards its authenticity.

Lol @ uphold Sharia. What does that even mean in this case?

I don't doubt that such prosletysing (especially in a disrespectful manner) groups often can result in violence (I have seen one Christian respond in such a way), but I highly doubt the rest of the story, police ignoring any such flare ups etc.

Chaplain

"The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters." Genesis 1:2 NKJV

What is the “Gap Theory”?

The earth was without form, and void: Some translate the idea in this verse as the earth became without form and void. Their thinking is the earth was originally created not without form and void, but it became without form and void through the destructive work of Satan. However, this is not the plain grammatical sense of the ancient Hebrew.

i. Those who follow this idea look to Isaiah 45:18: For thus says the LORD, Who created the heavens, Who is God, Who formed the earth and made it, Who has established it, Who did not create it in vain, Who formed it to be inhabited: “I am the LORD, and there is no other.” The idea is God here says He did not create the world in vain (the Hebrew word is the same as the word for void in Genesis 1:2).

ii. Based on these ideas, some have advanced what has been called the “Gap Theory.” It is the idea that there was a long and indefinite chronological gap between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2. Most “Gap Theory” adherents use the theory to explain the fossil record, assigning old and extinct fossils to this indefinite gap.

iii. Whatever merit the gap theory may have, it cannot explain the extinction and fossilization of ancient animals. The Bible says plainly death came by Adam (Romans 5:12), and since fossils are the result of death, they could not have happened before Adam’s time.

Possible explanations for "Darkness was on the face of the deep."

Darkness was on the face of the deep: This may describe a sense of resistance to the moving of the Holy Spirit on the earth. Some speculate this was because Satan was cast down to the earth (Isaiah 14:12; Ezekiel 28:16) and resisted God’s plan, though his resistance was futile.

i. Leupold on the Spirit of God was hovering: “The verb . . . signifies a vibrant moving, a protective hovering . . . His was the preparatory work for leading over from the inorganic to the organic.”

ii. “Any impression of Olympian detachment which the rest of the chapter might have conveyed is forestalled by the simile of the mother-bird ‘hovering’ (Moffatt) or fluttering by her brood. The verb reappears in Deuteronomy 32:11 to describe the eagle’s movements in stirring its young into flight.” (Kidner)

Was the Earth built with the appearance of age?

When God created the earth, He quite likely built an “old” earth, creating things in the midst of a time sequence, with age “built in.”

i. For example, Adam was already of mature age when he was created; there was age “built in.” Likewise, the trees in the Garden of Eden had rings in them, and there were undoubtedly canyons and sand beaches in Adam’s world

"Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light. And God saw the light, that it was good; and God divided the light from the darkness. God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. So the evening and the morning were the first day." Genesis 1:3-5 NKJV

God spoke light into existence, and light existed.

Then God said: God did not have to fashion light with His hands. It was enough for God to merely speak the words, “Light be!” and there was light.

i. Because God created things by speaking them into existence, some have said we can operate on the same principle, speaking things into existence by faith.

ii. This is based on a wrong understanding of Hebrews 11:3 (by faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God), which is taken to say God Himself used faith in creating the world. Instead, it says it is by faith we understand God created the world.

iii. Also, some have a wrong understanding of Mark 11:22 which is taken to literally mean “have God’s faith” as if we are to have the same faith God has. But the words Jesus answered and said to them, “Have faith in God” cannot mean this, because faith, as Hebrews 11:1 tells us, is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. What does God “hope” for? What does He not see? An omnipotent, omniscient Being certainly does not need faith. He is the object of faith.

Did light exist before the sun was created?

There was light: Genesis tells us that light, day, and night each existed before the sun and the moon were created on the fourth day (Genesis 1:14-19). This shows us that light is more than a physical substance; it also has a supernatural aspect. In the new heavens and the new earth, there won’t be any sun or moon. God Himself will be the light (Revelation 22:5).

i. The darkness God sent upon the Egyptians (Exodus 10:21) had a tangible quality to it, far beyond what we usually think of as being associated with darkness; it could be felt. This demonstrates a certain supernatural element, which can be related to light and darkness.

Which is it, literal days or geological ages?

So the evening and the morning were the first day: Many wonder if this was a literal day (in the sense we think of a day) or if it was a geological age. Some say that God created the world in six days, and others say He created it in six vast geological ages. Though there is disagreement among Christians on this, the most plain and simple meaning of the text is that He created in six days as we think of days.

i. “If the days were not days at all, would God have countenanced the word? Does He trade in inaccuracies, however edifying? The question hinges on the proper use of language.” (Kidner)

ii. “There ought to be no need of refuting the idea that yom means period. Reputable dictionaries . . . know nothing of this notion. Hebrew dictionaries are our primary source of reliable information concerning Hebrew words.” (Leupold)

"Then God said, “Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.” Thus God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament; and it was so. And God called the firmament Heaven. So the evening and the morning were the second day." Genesis 1:6-8 NKJV

Why was there a water canopy surrounding the Earth's atmosphere, and what would be the effects of this water canopy?

1. Let there be a firmament: The idea of a firmament is of an expanse (NIV, NAS) or space (NLT). The waters of the land are separated from the water vapor in the sky.

2. The waters which were above the firmament: Here, the Bible recognizes the existence of water vapor in the sky. “The waters above the firmament thus probably constituted a vast blanket of water vapor above the troposphere and possibly above the stratosphere as well, in the high temperature region now known as the ionosphere, and extending far into space.” (Morris) Such a vapor blanket would greatly change the ecology of the earth, and Henry Morris suggests several effects of a vapor blanket.

i. It would serve as a global greenhouse, maintaining an essentially uniformly pleasant temperature all over the world.

ii. Without great temperature variations, there would be no significant winds, and the water-rain cycle could not form. There would be no rain as we know it today.

iii. There would be lush, tropical-like vegetation, all over the world, fed not by rain, but by a rich evaporation and condensation cycle, resulting in heavy dew or ground-fog.

iv. The vapor blanket would filter out ultraviolet radiation, cosmic rays, and other destructive energies bombarding the planet. These are known to be the cause of mutations, which decrease human longevity. Human and animal life spans would be greatly increased.

v. A vapor blanket would provide the necessary reservoir for a potential worldwide flood.

Fedos

Nowhere in the entire Old Testament does it say this. That is not at all why they were chosen. There are several reasons mentioned in the OT (promise of God to Abraham, to spread God’s word, to conquer pagans, etc.) but the one you say is not one of them.

There are many Messianic prophecies in the Old Testament. The Psalms for instance are rife with pictures of what the Messiah would ultimately have to do and who he is. Isaiah 53 clearly points to the crucifixion of Jesus. The prophet Jeremiah speaks of a time when God will establish a New Covenant with the Jewish people, distinct from the Old Covenant

“The days are coming,” declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant
with the people of Israel and with the people of Judah. It will not be like the covenant
I made with their ancestors when I took them by the hand to lead them out of Egypt,
because they broke my covenant, though I was a husband to them,”
declares the Lord. “This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel after that time,” declares the Lord. I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God, and they will be my people. No longer will they teach their neighbor,
or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord, because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest,” declares the Lord. "For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.” Jeremiah 31: 31-34. This is in reference to what Messiah Jesus would do. For more Messiannic Old Testament prophecies, go here: http://www.clarifyingchristianity.com/m_prophecies.shtml

This verse is quoted here out of context. Read the whole passage, it is talking about not consuming the blood of animals. Blood in general and especially the consumption of blood in ancient and modern Judaism is considered unclean and a big no no.

It is not taken out of context when God specifically says that the blood atones for ones soul.

Also, blood sacrifice is not a “pillar” of the OT or of 1st century Judaism. There have always been other ways to atone for sin in the OT (using flour instead of blood, incense, asking for forgiveness, fasting, praying, stopping from doing evil, etc.). The tabernacle of David didn’t have any altar of sacrifice either and the Psalms also deny their importance (Psalm 40:6)

This passage was in reference to Christ's incarnation and is quoted in Hebrews:

Therefore, when Christ came into the world, he said: Sacrifice and offering you did not desire, but a body you prepared for me; with burnt offerings and sin offerings
you were not pleased. Then I said, ‘Here I am—it is written about me in the scroll —
I have come to do your will, my God.’” First he said, “Sacrifices and offerings, burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not desire, nor were you pleased with them” —though they were offered in accordance with the law. Then he said, “Here I am, I have come to do your will.” He sets aside the first to establish the second. And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. Hebrews 10: 5-10

Further we find prophets such as Isaiah, Jeremiah, Amos, and Hosea denouncing blood sacrifice. Jeremiah says that at no time did God call their forefathers for blood sacrifice. He goes further and calls the people not to shed innocent blood and labels the Temple as a "den of robbers" (Jeremiah 7:11). The word for robbers that is used in Hebrew is 'per-eets' which implies a violent taking of life (ie: robbing a life). Why was he saying this? Well, it’s because what scholars have realized in the past century, much of Leviticus was composed in the 5th century, much later than Moses. I’ll come back to that. What’s more interesting and ironic is that Jesus, when cleansing the temple, uses the same words as Jeremiah.

That passage wasn't speaking about the Biblical sacrificial system that God Himself established, it was talking about murder and offering sacrifices to pagan gods like baal. Here is it in full:

This is the word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord: 2 “Stand at the gate of the Lord’s house and there proclaim this message:

“‘Hear the word of the Lord, all you people of Judah who come through these gates to worship the Lord. 3 This is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says: Reform your ways and your actions, and I will let you live in this place. 4 Do not trust in deceptive words and say, “This is the temple of the Lord, the temple of the Lord, the temple of the Lord!” 5 If you really change your ways and your actions and deal with each other justly, 6 if you do not oppress the foreigner, the fatherless or the widow and do not shed innocent blood in this place, and if you do not follow other gods to your own harm, 7 then I will let you live in this place, in the land I gave your ancestors for ever and ever. 8 But look, you are trusting in deceptive words that are worthless.

9 “‘Will you steal and murder, commit adultery and perjury,[a] burn incense to Baal and follow other gods you have not known, 10 and then come and stand before me in this house, which bears my Name, and say, “We are safe”—safe to do all these detestable things? 11 Has this house, which bears my Name, become a den of robbers to you? But I have been watching! declares the Lord." Jeremiah 7: 1-11.

"My house will be called a house of prayer for all nations. But you have made it a 'den of robbers.'"

At which point he sets loose the animals. Seems Jesus himself was against blood sacrifice. Not a surprise then that his own brother James, who led the community after Jesus, was a vegetarian. The Ebionites who descended from the Jerusalem church also rejected animal sacrifices.

Jesus actually came to fulfill the law or the Old Testament. Here's what he says in the Gospels: 'I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.' Matthew 5: 18

This of course contradicts many other passages in the Gospels where Jesus asks that God pass this burden from him, asking God on the cross why he has forsaken him, etc.. It also stands contrary to the Tenakh’s comdemnation of human sacrifice.

It doesn't contradict it at all. Jesus was about to bear the wrath of humankind's sins. It was an expression of his humanity.

Again this isn’t anything that is preached by Jesus in the Gospels nor is such an atonement ever foretold in the OT. This atonement of sin through the blood of Jesus is an anachronism as far as the 1st century is concerned. One can only atone for their own sins according to the Tenakh or as Deuteronomy very clearly puts it “every man shall be put to death for his own sin.”

The Bible tells us to rightly divide the Word of Truth. The life of Jesus is unique among all other men in that he is the incarnate Son of God. Jesus didn't die on the cross as a martyr, Christ's crucifixion was established as the salvation of men in the Eternal Council of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. And many times Jesus repeated to his disciples the following:

The Son of Man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, be crucified and on the third day be raised again. Luke 24: 7. Read Isaiah 53 for a picture of God pouring out his wrath on the Messiah in the Old Testament.

God is not a tyrant though, rather he is Merciful and Compassionate as the OT says. There are countless examples in the OT of God telling us to ask for forgiveness and then forgiving people after they commit big crimes. Throughout the thousands of years of revelation and countless prophets, God asked us to do good works and seek his forgiveness. This was the way of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, and of Jesus. The concept of an atoning savior is not an idea present in the Old Testament or even in the sayings of Jesus, it is a purely Christian idea developed over centuries after Jesus.

God is merciful but He is also a God of wrath. He posseses both of these attributes. Look at this short youtube clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=m_3NQKwwQoo

Chaplain

"Then God said, “Let the waters under the heavens be gathered together into one place, and let the dry land appear”; and it was so. And God called the dry land Earth, and the gathering together of the waters He called Seas. And God saw that it was good. Then God said, “Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb that yields seed, and the fruit tree that yields fruit according to its kind, whose seed is in itself, on the earth”; and it was so. And the earth brought forth grass, the herb that yields seed according to its kind, and the tree that yields fruit, whose seed is in itself according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. So the evening and the morning were the third day." Genesis 1:9-13 NKJV

"On the first day, light was created. On the second day, the atmosphere was created. On the third day, life is created. Why does life appear on the third day? Because Jesus—the Way, the Truth, the Life—rose on the third day." (Courson)

1. Let the waters under the heavens be gathered together: The idea is that before this, the earth was covered with water. Now the waters are gathered together into one place, and dry land appears.

2. Let the earth bring forth grass: All this happened before the creation of the Sun (the fourth day of creation, Genesis 1:14-19). This means the plants must have had sufficient nourishment because of the light God had created before the sun and the moon.

i. Those who propose these days of creation were not literal days, but successive “ages” of slow, evolutionary development have a real problem here. It is hard to explain how plants and all vegetation could grow and thrive eons before the sun and the moon. No modern evolutionist would argue plant life is older than the sun or the moon, but this is what the Genesis record tells us.

ii. Many wonder how the sun, moon, and stars were created on the fourth day when light (including day and night) was created on the first day. Many have suggested the problem is solved by saying these heavenly bodies were created on the first day, but were not specifically visible, or not finally formed, until the fourth. But Revelation tells us of a coming day when we won’t need the sun, moon, and stars any longer (Revelation 21:23). There’s no reason why God couldn’t have started creation in the same way He will end it.

3. And it was so: This is the beginning of life on planet earth, directly created by God, not slowly evolving over millions of years.

i. Some scientists now say life on earth began when immense meteorites carrying amino acids impacted earth at a time when the sun was cooler and the earth was a watery ball covered with ice up to 1,000 feet thick. The idea is that a meteor hits the ice, breaks through, and “seeds” the water underneath with the building blocks of life, which assemble into an “organic soup.” However the process was triggered, the scientists said life on earth began in “a geological instant.” But by an instant, they mean 10 million years or less. It takes more faith to believe this than to believe in Genesis.

ii. The fossil evidence also demonstrates life exploded into existence on earth, instead of slowly evolving.

How were the plants created?

1. The earth brought forth grass, the herb that yields seed . . . and the tree that yields fruit, whose seed is in itself: The plants were created not as seeds, but as full-grown plants each bearing seeds. They were thus created as mature plants, having the “appearance” of age. The chicken really did come before the egg.

2. According to its kind: This phrase appears ten times in Genesis chapter 1. It means God allows variation within a kind, but something of one kind will never develop into something of another kind.

A Bible verse used to justify drug use.

Let the earth bring forth . . . every herb that yields seed . . . the herb that yields seed according to its kind . . . And God saw that it was good: Some use this passage to justify the use of drugs (especially marijuana) because grass and every herb came forth at God’s command. But certainly, not every herb is good for every purpose. Hemlock is natural, but not good.

i. In fact, the use of drugs in this manner is nowhere approved and is always condemned in the Bible. The wrong use of drugs is often associated with sorcery and the occult.

ii. Sorcery is universally condemned in the Bible (Exodus 22:18, Deuteronomy 18:10, 2 Chronicles 33:6, Revelation 21:8 and 22:15). In both the Old and New Testaments, the word sorcery was connected with the making and taking of drugs.

"The fourth day of creation: the sun, moon, and stars."

"Then God said, “Let there be lights in the firmament of the heavens to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs and seasons, and for days and years; and let them be for lights in the firmament of the heavens to give light on the earth”; and it was so. Then God made two great lights: the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night. He made the stars also. God set them in the firmament of the heavens to give light on the earth, and to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness. And God saw that it was good. So the evening and the morning were the fourth day." Genesis 1:14-19 NKJV

"Jesus is the Light of the world (John 8:12). He said we are also to be lights (Matthew 5:14). He is the greater light—the sun. We are the lesser light—the moon—reflecting His light to our dark world." (Courson)

Let them be for signs and seasons: God made the sun and the moon - these lights in the firmament of the heavens to be for signs and seasons. Since the beginning, man has used God’s provision of the sun, moon, and stars to mark and measure time and direction.

"The intricate balance of our ecosystem argues strongly for the existence of a Creator. We live in a very complex world."

God set them in the firmament of the heavens: God knew exactly how far to set the sun from the earth. A few million miles more or less and life as we know it would be impossible.

i. Ginzberg quotes a Jewish legend connecting the movement of the sun to the praise of God (as in Psalms 113:3, 50:1, and 148:3): “The progress of the sun in his circuit is an uninterrupted song of praise to God. And this song alone makes his motion possible. Therefore, when Joshua wanted to bid the sun stand still, he had to command him to be silent. His song of praise hushed, the sun stood still.”

Is the zodiac alluded to in Genesis?

1. Let them be for signs and seasons: When God set the lights in the heavens to be for signs, it probably includes what we commonly call the zodiac, but was called by the ancient Hebrews the Mazzaroth (Job 38:31-32).

i. Significantly, the sequence of the zodiac is the same in every language and culture, even if the specific names of the constellations change. Also, we know the figures of the constellations suggested to us don’t look like those things at all, and, they never did. Yet the names for the figures of the constellations are the same in all cultures. This points to a common, pre-Babel beginning for all these things, before the truth of the constellations was corrupted.

ii. Luke 1:70 and Acts 3:21 speak of holy prophets since the world began. These prophets may be the stars themselves. Psalm 147:4 and Isaiah 40:26 tell us God has the stars all numbered and God has a name for them all. Psalm 19:1-6 tells us the heavens contain a message from God.

iii. Astrology is a satanic corruption of God’s original “message in the stars,” a message outlining His plan of redemption. Because astrology is a corruption, it is to be avoided always by man (Isaiah 47:12-15).

2. He made the stars also: With all the other stars in our universe, we often wonder if there is life on other planets.

i. When you take into account all that is necessary for the sustenance of life as we know it, there are few planets able to support life. Taking into account factors such as our galaxy type, star location, star age, star mass, star color, distance from star, axis tilt, rotation period, surface gravity, tidal force, magnetic field, oxygen quantity in atmosphere, atmospheric pressure, and 20 other important factors, the probability of all 33 occurrences happening on any one planet is one in 10 to the 42 power. The total number of possible planets in the universe is 10 to the 22 power.

RiZ III

There are many Messianic prophecies in the Old Testament. The Psalms for instance are rife with pictures of what the Messiah would ultimately have to do and who he is. Isaiah 53 clearly points to the crucifixion of Jesus.

There is actually no mention of a “Messiah” in that passage. In Jewish tradition, this refers not to the Messiah but someone else (or to lots of someone else). This passage was never associated with a coming Messiah even until the days of Jesus because the Jews expected a strong king Messiah, not a suffering one. In fact the Tenakh doesn't ever prophecies about a suffering Messiah.

What the Tenakh does talk about is a warrior king Messiah who would free Israel from foreign control. We have passages like Psalm 2:1-9, Psalms of Solomon 17:32, and then there are the apocalyptic writings of Jews around the 1st century BC like Enoch and 4 Ezra mentioning the same thing.

These passages were only later interpreted as referring to Jesus by Christians after his death. Why did they do this? Because they thought he was the Messiah, and if he was the Messiah then the Messiah must've been foretold to die in the Tenakh. So they went looking for passages about the Messiah, and when they didn't find anything about a dying or suffering messiah, they turned to passages that had nothing to do with messianic prophecies and applied them to Jesus. Of course most Jews weren't convinced back then any more than they are now that these passages refer to Jesus.

The prophet Jeremiah speaks of a time when God will establish a New Covenant with the Jewish people, distinct from the Old Covenant

“The days are coming,” declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant
with the people of Israel and with the people of Judah. It will not be like the covenant
I made with their ancestors when I took them by the hand to lead them out of Egypt,
because they broke my covenant, though I was a husband to them,”
declares the Lord. “This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel after that time,” declares the Lord. I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God, and they will be my people. No longer will they teach their neighbor,
or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord, because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest,” declares the Lord. "For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.” Jeremiah 31: 31-34. This is in reference to what Messiah Jesus would do. For more Messiannic Old Testament prophecies, go here: http://www.clarifyingchristianity.com/m_prophecies.shtml

Let's start from Jeremiah 31:30 then:
“Instead, everyone will die for his own sin”

Again, this passage is not talking about a suffering messiah. It is talking about a covenant of God with Israel (something Christians aren't anyways), a covenant involving the Law of God and the forgiveness of God by the adherence to the Law.

It is not taken out of context when God specifically says that the blood atones for ones soul.

Yes, the sacrificing of animals was one way of atonement, though it was only for the unintentional sins (Leviticus 4:1-2, 22, 27, 5:15, etc.). It was never the only way of atoning for sins, certainly not big crimes such as murder, rape, theft, etc.. Punishments for those crimes are different (Exodus 22:3,5,6,12, 14, Numbers 5:6-7).

As I said earlier, there have always been multiple ways to seek forgiveness of sins in Judaism.

This passage was in reference to Christ's incarnation and is quoted in Hebrews:

Therefore, when Christ came into the world, he said: Sacrifice and offering you did not desire, but a body you prepared for me; with burnt offerings and sin offerings
you were not pleased. Then I said, ‘Here I am—it is written about me in the scroll —
I have come to do your will, my God.’” First he said, “Sacrifices and offerings, burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not desire, nor were you pleased with them” —though they were offered in accordance with the law. Then he said, “Here I am, I have come to do your will.” He sets aside the first to establish the second. And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. Hebrews 10: 5-10

This was part of a dialogue King David was having with God asking for help, not about some future messiah or God/SonOfGod. Read the whole passage and it is clear. It goes on to say:

“Do not without your mercy from me, O Lord...
Be pleased, O Lord, to save me;
O Lord, come quickly to help me.
May all who seek to take my life be put to shame and confusion;
May all who desire my ruin be turned back in disgrace....
Yet I am poor and needy;
You are my help and my deliverer;
O my God, do not delay”

In most of the Psalm David cries out for help like this. Also, it is abundantly clear that the person asking for help is not God but is calling out to God.

That passage wasn't speaking about the Biblical sacrificial system that God Himself established, it was talking about murder and offering sacrifices to pagan gods like baal. Here is it in full:

This is the word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord: 2 “Stand at the gate of the Lord’s house and there proclaim this message:

“‘Hear the word of the Lord, all you people of Judah who come through these gates to worship the Lord. 3 This is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says: Reform your ways and your actions, and I will let you live in this place. 4 Do not trust in deceptive words and say, “This is the temple of the Lord, the temple of the Lord, the temple of the Lord!” 5 If you really change your ways and your actions and deal with each other justly, 6 if you do not oppress the foreigner, the fatherless or the widow and do not shed innocent blood in this place, and if you do not follow other gods to your own harm, 7 then I will let you live in this place, in the land I gave your ancestors for ever and ever. 8 But look, you are trusting in deceptive words that are worthless.

9 “‘Will you steal and murder, commit adultery and perjury,[a] burn incense to Baal and follow other gods you have not known, 10 and then come and stand before me in this house, which bears my Name, and say, “We are safe”—safe to do all these detestable things? 11 Has this house, which bears my Name, become a den of robbers to you? But I have been watching! declares the Lord." Jeremiah 7: 1-11.

It speaks of many things, one of them being the shedding of innocent blood. Whose blood was being shed in the temple? The animals of the sacrifices. The second verse (7:9) speaks of murder, adultry, worship of Baal and other gods that happens before the people come to the temple for it continues in verse 10 “and then come and stand before me in this house”. The shedding of the innocent blood in verse 6 is happening in the temple or as it says “do not shed innocent blood in this place”.

Jesus actually came to fulfill the law or the Old Testament. Here's what he says in the Gospels: 'I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.' Matthew 5: 18

Yea, all righteous Jews were to fulfill the laws which is why that verse continues to say “Therefore whoever breaks one of the lease of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, will be called least in the kingdom of heaven...For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the Kingdom of heaven”.

Jesus didn't say, do worry about following these laws, I will do them and then be murdered for you. He said that anyone who doesn't follow the laws will not be called in heaven. Jesus is constantly found preaching the Law in the synoptic gospels, he isn't telling people to abandon it and worship him instead or to wait for him to be sacrificed.

It doesn't contradict it at all. Jesus was about to bear the wrath of humankind's sins. It was an expression of his humanity.

Of course it does. It comes out pretty clear that he didn't want to be captured or murdered. He tells his disciples to arm themselves with swords and to guard him as he prays “If it be possible, let this cup pass from me.” And then when he is crucified, he is crying out to God asking him why he has been forsaken. So if he knew this was the plan all along, why would he ask why this is happening to him?

The Bible tells us to rightly divide the Word of Truth. The life of Jesus is unique among all other men in that he is the incarnate Son of God. Jesus didn't die on the cross as a martyr, Christ's crucifixion was established as the salvation of men in the Eternal Council of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. And many times Jesus repeated to his disciples the following:

The Son of Man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, be crucified and on the third day be raised again. Luke 24: 7. Read Isaiah 53 for a picture of God pouring out his wrath on the Messiah in the Old Testament.

I know that is the Christian doctrine, there is no question there. The problem is that the Christian doctrine isn't supported by the Tenakh. It is only through misquoting and ignoring context of verses in the Tenakh that such claims are supported. The misquoting happens in the gospels and later developed further through the centuries.

A great example is in the Gospel of Mathew where he says “All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through his people: 'The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son'” (Mat 1:22-23) . The problem here is that the original Jewish text(Isaiah 7:14) doesn't say this. What it says is that “the maiden shall conceive” as the actual Hebrew word there is “almah” which means maiden, not virgin. So where did Mathew get this translation? From the Septuagint which is the very old Greek translation of the Tenakh. In there “almah” was mistranslated as virgin, and since Luke was writing in Greek and probably didn't know how to read Hebrew, he uses that with or without realizing that the verse actually doesn't say what he is trying to say. Further, Isaiah 7:14 isn't talking about some future messiah, it is talking about a child who would be born as a sign for King Hezekiah in his own day. Mathew implies that Isaiah's prophecy was fulfilled by the virgin birth of Jesus, but the original text carries no such meaning.

As I stated earlier, Isiah 53 doesn't mention any messiah. The Christians are doing the same thing with that that Mathew tried doing with 7:14.

Also, Jesus is not the only incarnate son of God in the Bible. There are many begotten sons of God. Adam is His son, Israel is called His firstborn, David is called His begotten son, all Jewish men are His sons, all who are led by the spirit of God are sons of God. The verse which I'm assuming you are referring to is John 3:16 speaking of him “begotten son”. That phrase has long been recognized by Christian scholars as a later interpolation which is why in modern Bibles, like NIV, that phrase is no longer there. Instead it just says “He gave his one and only son”. Of course that phrase is a contradiction in that God has many sons and even begotten sons in the Tenakh.

Now, the term “son of God” is a very Jewish phrase. It simply means someone who is close to God, not someone who is actually birthed by God. If Jesus said he was the son of God, that was nothing out of the ordinary as it would have been properly understood by his Jewish audience. It was only after the message went out into the pagan Roman world that the phrase starts holding a completely different meaning.

As for when Jesus became the the son of God, the authors of the Gospels all had different views. For Paul, it was at the resurrection (Acts 13:32-33). This of course is the earliest form of belief in Jesus being the son of God as Paul precedes all of the Gospels. As time progresses, Jesus started becoming son of God earlier. In Mark (earliest of the gospels but after Paul), Jesus is declared God's son at the baptism. There is not word in there about Jesus actually being God. For Luke (writing later), Jesus is declared God even earlier for God literally impregnates Mary. John, writing the latest of all of them, moves it back even further. For John, Jesus is not the son because he was raised from the dead, or adopted at baptism, or because God impregnated Mary: he is the son of God because he existed with God in the very beginning. So basically we have a very Jewish idea slowly morphing into something completely pagan over a span of a century. The idea that Jesus was divine was a later Christian invention, one only found in John.

The trinity is much later idea which was not around in the first century or even in the Bible. It developed over a few centuries. Early Christians of the second, third, and fourth century had very differing views on the concept. The Trinity was not fully doctored until the 4th century at the council of Nicea and not fully accepted until the council of Chalcedon in the 5th.

As for the atonement of sins by the sacrifice of Jesus, it is a very late innovation coming to us in the 11th century doctored by Anselm of Canterbury. Yea, hard to believe.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anselm_of_Canterbury#Cur_Deus_Homo_and_Satisfaction_Atonement

Fedos

There is actually no mention of a “Messiah” in that passage. In Jewish tradition, this refers not to the Messiah but someone else (or to lots of someone else). This passage was never associated with a coming Messiah even until the days of Jesus because the Jews expected a strong king Messiah, not a suffering one. In fact the Tenakh doesn't ever prophecies about a suffering Messiah.

Yes, and that was part of God's providential plan. Paul states in Romans that the Jews have collectively been partially blinded, partly so that all men might begin in unbelief. Though he also says that a remnant will be saved even now in this dispensation of grace, eg Messianic Torah Judaism.

What the Tenakh does talk about is a warrior king Messiah who would free Israel from foreign control. We have passages like Psalm 2:1-9, Psalms of Solomon 17:32, and then there are the apocalyptic writings of Jews around the 1st century BC like Enoch and 4 Ezra mentioning the same thing.

These passages were only later interpreted as referring to Jesus by Christians after his death. Why did they do this? Because they thought he was the Messiah, and if he was the Messiah then the Messiah must've been foretold to die in the Tenakh. So they went looking for passages about the Messiah, and when they didn't find anything about a dying or suffering messiah, they turned to passages that had nothing to do with messianic prophecies and applied them to Jesus.Of course most Jews weren't convinced back then any more than they are now that these passages refer to Jesus.

Overall most Jews would look at a passage like Isaiah 53 and not consider it to be in reference to the cruxifixion of Jesus. But that is--as I said--part of God's providential plan. The Jews will collectively embrace Christ as the Messiah at the end of the Great Tribulation.

Let's start from Jeremiah 31:30 then:
“Instead, everyone will die for his own sin”

You have to rightly divide the Word. That passage is in reference to this in Ezekiel 18: 20:
'The person who sins will die. The son will not bear the punishment for the father’s iniquity, nor will the father bear the punishment for the son’s iniquity; the righteousness of the righteous will be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked will be upon himself.'

Again, this passage is not talking about a suffering messiah. It is talking about a covenant of God with Israel (something Christians aren't anyways), a covenant involving the Law of God and the forgiveness of God by the adherence to the Law.

The passage in Jeremiah is talking about a time when the Jews collectively will be converted to Messiah Jesus. When God says that he will write his laws and commandments on their hearts and minds and that they will keep his statutes he is referring to them being holy. No unsaved person (whether Jew or Gentile) can keep God's moral laws without coming to Christ.

Yes, the sacrificing of animals was one way of atonement, though it was only for the unintentional sins (Leviticus 4:1-2, 22, 27, 5:15, etc.). It was never the only way of atoning for sins, certainly not big crimes such as murder, rape, theft, etc.. Punishments for those crimes are different (Exodus 22:3,5,6,12, 14, Numbers 5:6-7).

As I said earlier, there have always been multiple ways to seek forgiveness of sins in Judaism.

Read this: http://dancingfromgenesis.wordpress...bal-navigators-and-megalithic-builders-noahs/

It speaks of many things, one of them being the shedding of innocent blood. Whose blood was being shed in the temple? The animals of the sacrifices. The second verse (7:9) speaks of murder, adultry, worship of Baal and other gods that happens before the people come to the temple for it continues in verse 10 “and then come and stand before me in this house”. The shedding of the innocent blood in verse 6 is happening in the temple or as it says “do not shed innocent blood in this place”.

The innocent blood was probably a reference to child sacrifice:

'We shall observe the following chapter divisions. First, there is a statement of the case against Judah, coupled with a reiteration of the Law of God and a ringing command for the people of God to repent of their apostasy (Jeremiah 7:1-7). Then there is a further description of the people's apostasy and of their rejection of God's Word (Jeremiah 7:8-12). This is followed by the announcement of God's judgment against them (Jeremiah 7:13-15). There follows an attack against the false worship of the Queen of Heaven (Jeremiah 7:16-20). The prophet denounced their supposition that sacrifices could be substituted for true obedience to God's Word (Jeremiah 7:21-28). The chapter concludes with a vehement condemnation of the sacrifice of children to Molech in the Valley of Hinnom, and other evil practices (Jeremiah 7:29-34). '

Yea, all righteous Jews were to fulfill the laws which is why that verse continues to say “Therefore whoever breaks one of the lease of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, will be called least in the kingdom of heaven...For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the Kingdom of heaven”.

Jesus didn't say, do worry about following these laws, I will do them and then be murdered for you. He said that anyone who doesn't follow the laws will not be called in heaven. Jesus is constantly found preaching the Law in the synoptic gospels, he isn't telling people to abandon it and worship him instead or to wait for him to be sacrificed.

Jesus, in that passage, was not referring to the ceremonial laws of which the Gentiles are not subject, but to the moral law.

What does Jesus mean when He says, “Except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 5:20)?

'To be righteous, in biblical language, is to be right or pleasing to God. Pleasing God involves keeping His Law. Many Christians today insist that the righteousness which this verse refers to is the righteousness of Christ which clothes every believer by imputation. These will frequently also insist that since Christ has fulfilled or kept the Law on their behalf, there is no more need to keep the Law. I do not think so. It is true that because Christians are imputed with the righteousness of Christ, they are seen in God’s eyes as having a righteousness that far, far exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees. However, it is hardly possible that this is what Christ is referring to. The context of His statement suggests that He is referring to our actual keeping of the commandments of God. He says, “Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled” (Mt 5:17–18). Two different Greek words are translated “fulfil” in these two verses. The first “fulfil” translates the Greek plêroô, which means “to make full” or “to complete.” Christ fulfilled the Law in the sense that He gave it its full meaning. In so far as the ceremonial laws, He is the substance or anti-type of what they,—as shadows and types,—pointed to. In so far as the moral laws, Christ came to obey them perfectly. The second “fulfil” (fulfilled) translates the Greek ginomai which means “bring to pass” or “accomplished.” In other words, Christ was saying that, no part of the Law will be abolished until the purpose of their existence is accomplished or fulfilled. In so far as the ceremonial laws, we may say that their purpose has been fulfilled, but this is not so in the case of the moral laws. The purpose of the moral law, to reflect the character of God and to reveal God’s will for man, still stands. This is why the Lord says He did not come to destroy the Law. This is why He adds, “Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven” (Mt 5:19). The word “break” translates the Greek luô, which may also be rendered “loosen” or “relaxes.” In other words, the demands of the Law remain unchanged. Christ is especially referring to the Moral Commandments. He makes it clear by proceeding to expound the commandments (vv. 21–48).
So then, it is clear that Christ is not speaking about imputed righteousness in verse 20. Rather, He is teaching us that if we are to enter the kingdom of God, we must obey the Word of God more than the scribes and Pharisees. Two questions immediately come to mind. Firstly, is Jesus then teaching salvation by keeping the Law? Secondly, how is this possible? Weren’t the Pharisees and scribes scrupulous in keeping the Law? To the first question, we must answer with an emphatic “no.” Christ teaches clearly that salvation is by grace through faith (e.g., Jn 3:16, 36; 6:37, 44; etc.). To the second question, we must note that there are such things as weightier and minor aspects of keeping the Law. The scribes and Pharisees were scrupulous in tithing, for example, and the Lord commended them for doing so. But at the same time, He charged them for ignoring the weightier matters of the Law: judgement, mercy, faith, and love of God (Mt 23:23; Lk 11:42). In other words, in telling us that our righteousness must exceed that of the scribes and Pharisees, the Lord is enjoining us to keep the Commandments of God, not only in the letter or externally,—which the Pharisees and scribes were adept at,—but also in the spirit or internally. Paul is referring to the internal, spiritual demands of the Law when he says “We know that the law is spiritual” (Rom 7:14). An unregenerate, unjustified person may keep the letter of the law, but only a born-again and justified person has the disposition to keep not only the letter of the law but the spirit of the law. In a sense, Christ was pointing out one of the marks of genuine believer, namely, that he will keep the Law of God with an attitude of love and gratitude rather than with a hypocritical attitude of showmanship.'

http://www.pilgrim-covenant.com/q-a...enter-into-the-kingdom-of-heaven-matthew-5-20

Of course it does. It comes out pretty clear that he didn't want to be captured or murdered. He tells his disciples to arm themselves with swords and to guard him as he prays “If it be possible, let this cup pass from me.” And then when he is crucified, he is crying out to God asking him why he has been forsaken. So if he knew this was the plan all along, why would he ask why this is happening to him?

Again, that was an expression of his humanity. There were times when he marveled at the centurion's faith. There were times when he was grieved over the hardness of the Pharisees and Saducees hearts. Paul says that Jesus emptied himself in his incarnation. He humbled himself, he had to trust God while on this earth, as the perfect example for the Church and the captain of our salvation.

I know that is the Christian doctrine, there is no question there. The problem is that the Christian doctrine isn't supported by the Tenakh. It is only through misquoting and ignoring context of verses in the Tenakh that such claims are supported. The misquoting happens in the gospels and later developed further through the centuries.

A great example is in the Gospel of Mathew where he says “All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through his people: 'The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son'” (Mat 1:22-23) . The problem here is that the original Jewish text(Isaiah 7:14) doesn't say this. What it says is that “the maiden shall conceive” as the actual Hebrew word there is “almah” which means maiden, not virgin. So where did Mathew get this translation? From the Septuagint which is the very old Greek translation of the Tenakh. In there “almah” was mistranslated as virgin, and since Luke was writing in Greek and probably didn't know how to read Hebrew, he uses that with or without realizing that the verse actually doesn't say what he is trying to say. Further, Isaiah 7:14 isn't talking about some future messiah, it is talking about a child who would be born as a sign for King Hezekiah in his own day.[/I] Mathew implies that Isaiah's prophecy was fulfilled by the virgin birth of Jesus, but the original text carries no such meaning.

As I stated earlier, Isiah 53 doesn't mention any messiah. The Christians are doing the same thing with that that Mathew tried doing with 7:14.

Maybe this will help: http://jewishroots.net/library/prophecy/isaiah/isaiah-7-14/the-meaning-of-almah.html

And it can also be understood as a dual fulfillment.

Also, Jesus is not the only incarnate son of God in the Bible. There are many begotten sons of God. Adam is His son, Israel is called His firstborn, David is called His begotten son, all Jewish men are His sons, all who are led by the spirit of God are sons of God. The verse which I'm assuming you are referring to is John 3:16 speaking of him “begotten son”. That phrase has long been recognized by Christian scholars as a later interpolation which is why in modern Bibles, like NIV, that phrase is no longer there. Instead it just says “He gave his one and only son”. Of course that phrase is a contradiction in that God has many sons and even begotten sons in the Tenakh.

Actually, he is:

For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Isaiah 9: 6

Now, the term “son of God” is a very Jewish phrase. It simply means someone who is close to God, not someone who is actually birthed by God. If Jesus said he was the son of God, that was nothing out of the ordinary as it would have been properly understood by his Jewish audience. It was only after the message went out into the pagan Roman world that the phrase starts holding a completely different meaning.

This is not according to what the Jews understood of what Jesus meant when he called himself the Son of God:

33 "We are not stoning you for any of these," replied the Jews, "but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God."34 Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your Law, 'I have said you are gods' ?35If he called them 'gods,' to whom the word of God came--and the Scripture cannot be broken--36what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world? Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, 'I am God's Son'?

As for when Jesus became the the son of God, the authors of the Gospels all had different views. For Paul, it was at the resurrection (Acts 13:32-33). This of course is the earliest form of belief in Jesus being the son of God as Paul precedes all of the Gospels. As time progresses, Jesus started becoming son of God earlier. In Mark (earliest of the gospels but after Paul), Jesus is declared God's son at the baptism. There is not word in there about Jesus actually being God. For Luke (writing later), Jesus is declared God even earlier for God literally impregnates Mary. John, writing the latest of all of them, moves it back even further. For John, Jesus is not the son because he was raised from the dead, or adopted at baptism, or because God impregnated Mary: he is the son of God because he existed with God in the very beginning. So basically we have a very Jewish idea slowly morphing into something completely pagan over a span of a century. The idea that Jesus was divine was a later Christian invention, one only found in John.

This site should clear up the focus of the four Gospels:
http://www.agapebiblestudy.com/charts/Focus of the Four Gospels.htm

The trinity is much later idea which was not around in the first century or even in the Bible. It developed over a few centuries. Early Christians of the second, third, and fourth century had very differing views on the concept. The Trinity was not fully doctored until the 4th century at the council of Nicea and not fully accepted until the council of Chalcedon in the 5th.

The disciples with the exception of John all gave their lives for the belief that Jesus was the incarnate Son of God who died for the sins of the world. And God left clues and hints throughout the Old Testament even before he fully revealed to man his Triune nature . For instance, we have this passage in Psalms 110: 1:

The LORD says to my Lord: "Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet." A passage of which Jesus referenced to the Pharisees and applied to himself:

42"What do you think about the Christ ? Whose son is he?" "The son of David," they replied. 43 He said to them, "How is it then that David, speaking by the Spirit, calls him 'Lord'? For he says,44" 'The Lord said to my Lord: "Sit at my right hand until I put your enemies under your feet." '45If then David calls him 'Lord,' how can he be his son?"46 No one could say a word in reply, and from that day on no one dared to ask him any more questions. Matthew 22: 42-46.

Then there are passsages in the Old Testament the point to the Holy Spirit:

'Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.'Genesis 1: 2 This passage shows that the Holy Spirit was present and active during creation.

'Then the LORD said, "My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, because he also is flesh; nevertheless his days shall be one hundred and twenty years." Genesis 6: 3. This passage reveals the convicting nature of the Holy Spirit, which Jesus himself also affirms in the Gospel of John, showing him to be a person of the Godhead.

'But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. 8 When he comes, he will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment: 9 about sin, because people do not believe in me; 10 about righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; 11 and about judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned.

As for the atonement of sins by the sacrifice of Jesus, it is a very late innovation coming to us in the 11th century doctored by Anselm of Canterbury. Yea, hard to believe.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anselm_of_Canterbury#Cur_Deus_Homo_and_Satisfaction_Atonement

It is not 'a very late innovation' when it is detailed in the Word of God.

Chaplain

The fifth day of creation:

"Then God said, “Let the waters abound with an abundance of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the face of the firmament of the heavens.” So God created great sea creatures and every living thing that moves, with which the waters abounded, according to their kind, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let birds multiply on the earth.” So the evening and the morning were the fifth day." Genesis 1:20-23 NKJV

When were the birds and sea creatures created?

Let the waters abound with an abundance of living creatures: We see the great variety of birds and sea creatures were created at the same time, not evolving slowly over millions of years. Even though plant life was created before animal life, animal life was not created out of plant life.

i. Among the diversity of animals, many share similar structures: birds, reptiles, mammals, and so forth. This argues at least as persuasively for a common Designer as it does for a common life source. All life did not come from the same primordial cell, but it did all come from the same Designer.

"The language in the Hebrew is emphatic: “after their kind,” “after his kind,” “after its kind.” In other words, there could be changes within a species but not changes from one species to another." (Courson)

According to their kind: Again, all animal life is created according to its kind. God deliberately structured plenty of variation within a kind, but one “kind” does not become another.

i. For example, structure among dogs is diverse. The teacup poodle is very different from the Great Dane, but they are both dogs. However, they won’t become mice, no matter how much breeding is done.

ii. Evolutionists often give convincing examples of microevolution, the variation of a kind within its kind, adapting to the environment. For example, the ratio of black to white peppered moths may increase when pollution makes it easier for dark moths to escape detection; or finches may develop different beaks in response to their distinctive environment. But the moths are still moths, and the finches are still finches. There has been no change outside of the kind. Microevolution does not prove macroevolution.

"Doesn’t the fossil record show these creatures slowly evolved into existence, instead of suddenly appearing?" (Guzik)

1. Most people are unaware that Darwin’s strongest opponents were not clergymen, but fossil experts. Darwin admitted the state of the fossil evidence was “the most obvious and gravest objection which can be urged against my theory,” and because of the fossil evidence, “all the most eminent paleontologists . . . and all our greatest geologists . . . have unanimously, often vehemently, maintained” that the species do not change.

2. The fossil record is marked by two great principles: first, stasis, which means most species are unchanged in all their documented history. The way they look when they first appear in the fossil record is the way they look when last appearing in the fossil record. They have not changed. Second, sudden appearance, which means in any local area, a species does not arise gradually, but appears all at once and “fully formed.”

i. Philip Johnson: “If evolution means the gradual change of one kind of organism into another kind, the outstanding characteristic of the fossil record is the absence of evidence for evolution.”

3. The Bighorn Basin in Wyoming contains a continuous record of fossil deposits for what geologists say is five million years. Because this record is so complete, paleontologists assumed a positive trail of evolution could be found. Instead, “the fossil record does not convincingly document a single transition from one species to another.” (Johnson)

i. Evolutionist Nile Eldredge writes: “We paleontologists have said that the history of life [in the fossil record] supports [the story of gradual evolution], all the while knowing that it does not.” (Johnson)

4. Either evolution happened slowly, with each tiny change building on the last, over billions of years; or the changes came as quick leaps: something like a mouse coming out of a snake’s egg.

i. The fossil record totally rejects the idea of millions of tiny changes; the quick leaps are a way of attributing miraculous power to “chance” or “nature” instead of God. While admiring the faith of those who believe in such hopeful monsters, it seems far more rational to believe in a wise, creating, designing God.

"Then God said, “Let the earth bring forth the living creature according to its kind: cattle and creeping thing and beast of the earth, each according to its kind”; and it was so. And God made the beast of the earth according to its kind, cattle according to its kind, and everything that creeps on the earth according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:24-25 NKJV

The sixth day of creation:

1. Let the earth bring forth the living creature: On the fifth day of creation, God made birds and sea animals, but now God turns His creative attention towards land animals of various types.

2. God made the beast of the earth according to its kind: When we look at the infinite variety of the animal kingdom (both living and extinct), we must be impressed with God’s creative power, as well as His sense of humor. Any Being who makes the giraffe, the platypus, and the peacock is a God of joy and humor.

i. To a peahen, the most attractive peacocks are the ones with the biggest fans, but the big fan on the tail makes it difficult to escape a predator. Therefore, the peahen rewards the peacock with the least chance of survival. This is a great problem for the idea of “survival of the fittest.”

3. According to its kind: Again, this important phrase is emphasized. God allows tremendous variation within a kind, but one “kind” will never become another “kind.”

Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” Genesis 1:26 NKJV

Is the Trinity mentioned in Genesis 1?

Let Us make man in Our image: The use of the plural (Let Us . . . in Our image, according to Our likeness) is consistent with the idea that there is One God in three Persons, what we know as the Trinity.

i. Leupold does a good job showing that the plurality of let Us make cannot be merely the plurality of royalty, nor can it be God speaking with and to the angels. It is an indicator of the Trinity, though not clearly spelled out.

How is man different than all other animals?

1. In Our image: An understanding of who man is begins with knowing we are made in the image of God. Man is different from every other order of created being because He has a created consistency with God.

i. This means there is an unbridgeable gap between human life and animal life. Though we are biologically similar to certain animals, we are distinct in our moral, intellectual, and spiritual capabilities.

ii. This means there is also an unbridgeable gap between human life and angelic life. Nowhere are we told the angels are made in the image of God. Angels cannot have the same kind of relationship of love and fellowship with God we can have.

iii. This means the incarnation was truly possible. God (in the Second Person of the Trinity) could really become man, because although deity and humanity are not the same, they are compatible.

iv. This means human life has intrinsic value, quite apart from the “quality of life” experienced by any individual, because human life is made in the image of God.

2. In Our image: There are several specific things in man that show him to be made in the image of God.

· Man alone has a natural countenance looking upward
· Man alone has such a variety of facial expressions
· Man alone has a sense of shame expressing itself in a blush
· Man alone speaks
· Man alone possesses personality, morality, and spirituality

3. In Our image: There are at least three aspects to the idea that we are made in the image of God.

· It means humans possess personality: knowledge, feelings, and a will. This sets man apart from all animals and plants
· It means humans possess morality: we are able to make moral judgments and have a conscience
· It means humans possess spirituality: man is made for communion with God. It is on the level of spirit we communicate with God

Does God have a physical or human body?

In Our image: This does not mean that God has a physical or human body. God is a Spirit (John 4:24). Though God does not have a physical body, He designed man so man’s physical body could do many of the things God does: see, hear, smell, touch, speak, think, plan, and so forth.

i. “It will hardly be safe to say that the body of man is patterned after God, because God, being an incorporeal spirit, cannot have what we term a material body. Yet the body of man must at least be regarded as the fittest receptacle for the man’s spirit and so must bear at least an analogy that is so close that God and His angels choose to appear in human form when they appear to men.” (Leupold)

What do image and likeness mean?

In Our image, according to Our likeness: The terms for image and likeness are slightly different. Image has more to do with appearance, and likeness has more to do with an abstract similarity, but they both essentially mean the same thing here in this context.

Did God give man the responsibility of taking care of Earth?

Let them have dominion: Before God ever created man He decreed man would have dominion over the earth. Man’s pre-eminence of the created order and his ability to affect his environment is no accident; it is part of God’s plan for man and the earth.

i. In this sense, it is sin if man does not use this dominion responsibly, in the sense of a proper regard for stewardship on this earth.

Chaplain

"So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. Then God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.” And God said, “See, I have given you every herb that yields seed which is on the face of all the earth, and every tree whose fruit yields seed; to you it shall be for food. Also, to every beast of the earth, to every bird of the air, and to everything that creeps on the earth, in which there is life, I have given every green herb for food”; and it was so. Then God saw everything that He had made, and indeed it was very good. So the evening and the morning were the sixth day." Genesis 1:27-31 NKJV

Did God create Adam, or did he come into existence by evolution?

So God created man in His own image: God created man according to His plan as described in Genesis 1:26. The concept of man being created in the image of God is repeated to give emphasis to the idea.

i. We are plainly told God created man fully formed, and created him in one day, not gradually over millions of years of progressive evolution. The idea that a slow, progressive evolution could produce a complex mechanism like the human body just doesn’t hold up.

ii. It is said there would be at least 40 different stages of evolution required to form an eye. What possible benefit could there be for the first 39 stages? The mathematician D.S. Ulam argues it was highly improbable for the eye to evolve by the accumulation of small mutations, because the number of mutations must be so large and the time available was not nearly long enough for them to appear. Evolutionist Ernst Mayr commented: “Somehow or other by adjusting these figures we will come out all right. We are comforted by the fact that evolution has occurred.” Johnson observes: “Darwinism to them was not a theory open to refutation but a fact to be accounted for.” (Johnson)

iii. Darwin wrote: “If it could be demonstrated that any complex organ existed which could not possibly have been formed by numerous, successive, slight modifications, my theory would absolutely break down.” Professor Richard Goldschmidt, a geneticist at the University of California at Berkley, listed a series of complex structures (from the hair of mammals to hemoglobin) he thought could not have been produced by thousands of years of small mutations. “The Darwinists met this fantastic suggestion with savage ridicule. As Goldschmidt put it, ‘This time I was not only crazy but almost a criminal.’ . . . To suppose that such a random event could reconstruct even a single complex organ like a liver or kidney is about as reasonable as to suppose that an improved watch can be designed by throwing an old one against the wall.” (Johnson)

"This passage of Genesis gives us an overview of God’s creation of man, and Genesis 2 will explain how exactly God created male and female." (Guzik)

Male and female He created them: This should not be construed to mean Adam was originally some type of androgynous being, being both male and female.

i. In our day, many say there is no real difference between men and women. This makes sense if we are the result of mindless evolution, but not it is true that male and female He created them. To God, the differences between men and women are not accidents. Since He created them, the differences are good and meaningful.

ii. Men are not women, and women are not men. One of the saddest signs of our culture’s depravity is the amount and the degree of gender confusion today.

iii. It is vain to wonder if men or women are superior to the other. A man is absolutely superior at being a man. A woman is absolutely superior at being a woman. But when a man tries to be a woman or a woman tries to be a man, you have something inferior.

God blesses Adam and Eve, gives them ownership of the planet, and tells them to populate it.

Then God blessed them: the first thing God did for man was to bless him. Without the goodness of God’s blessing, human life would be not only unbearable, but also impossible.

Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion: God also gives man a job to do: fulfill God’s intention of man’s exercise of dominion over the earth. Inherent in this command is that man should be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth. Man cannot fulfill God’s plan for him on the earth unless he populates it.

i. Additionally, God gave mankind a desire for sex, which would make the populating of the earth quick and likely.

ii. However, many have thought that being fruitful and multiplying was God’s only or main purpose for sex, but this isn’t the case. The primary reason God created sex was to contribute to the bonding of a one-flesh relationship.

iii. Animals have sexual relations only for reproduction, but human sexual response is different from animal sexual response in many ways. Human ovulation has no outward sign; humans have sex in private; humans have secondary sexual characteristics (only in humans do females develop breasts before the first birth). Only humans demonstrate a constant availability for and interest in sex, as opposed to a “heat” season in animals. In humans, the duration of the sexual interlude is longer and the intensity of the pleasure of sex is stronger, and only humans continue to have intercourse after the end of fertility. None of these specifically human dimensions of sex are required for reproduction, but all of them are useful for sex as a tool of bonding.

Did Adam and Eve eat meat?

To you it shall be for food: God gave man dominion over the whole earth, but only vegetation is specifically mentioned as being for food. Seemingly, before the flood, the human race was vegetarian, but after the flood, man was given permission to eat the flesh of animals (Genesis 9:3).

God gives His stamp of approval on creation.

God saw everything that He had made, and indeed it was very good: God’s final analysis of His work of creation is that it was very good. God was pleased with His creation, and so are we!

i. When God pronounced the creation good, He really meant it. At the time, it was entirely good; there was no death or decay on earth at all.

"The fossil discoveries of our “human ancestors” such as Australopithecus afarensis, Australopithecus africanus, Homo habilis, and Homo Erectus show that the search for our “human ancestors” has been one filled with dishonest science and wishful thinking." (Guzik)

1. Quoting Johnson: “The psychological atmosphere that surrounds the viewing of hominid fossils is uncannily reminiscent of the veneration of relics at a medieval shrine.” In 1984, the American Museum of Natural History held an unprecedented showing of original fossils said to depict human evolution titled Ancestors.

2. From Johnson: “The ‘priceless and fragile relics’ were carried by anxious curators in first-class airplane seats and brought to the Museum in a VIP motorcade of limousines with police escort. Inside the Museum, the relics were placed behind bullet-proof glass to be admired by a select preview audience of anthropologists, who spoke in hushed voices because ‘It was like discussing theology in a cathedral.’ A sociologist observing this ritual of the anthropologist tribe remarked, ‘Sounds like ancestor worship to me.’ ”

3. Solly Zuckerman is a committed evolutionist and one of Britain’s most influential scientists. He also regards much of the fossil evidence for human evolution as nonsense. Zuckerman has subjected key fossils to years of biometric testing and declares that the idea that they walked and ran upright is flimsy wishful thinking. He remarked that the record of reckless speculation in the field of human origins “is so astonishing that it is legitimate to ask whether much science is yet to be found in this field at all.” (Johnson)

4. “The story of human descent from apes is not merely a scientific hypothesis; it is the secular equivalent of the story of Adam and Eve, and a matter of immense cultural importance. Propagating the story requires illustrations, museum exhibits, and television reenactments. It also requires a priesthood, in the form of thousands of researchers, teachers, and artists who provide realistic and imaginative detail and carry the story out to the general public . . .. The scientific priesthood that has authority to interpret the official creation story gains immense cultural influence thereby, which it might lose if the story were called into question. The experts therefore have a vested interest in protecting the story, and in imposing rules of reasoning that make it invulnerable. When critics ask, ‘Is your theory really true?’ we should not be satisfied to be answered that ‘it is good science, as we define science’.” (Johnson)

5. Evolutionists are not interested in testing if their theory is true. They simply believe once you ignore the creating hand of God, it is the only explanation available, so their job is to figure out how it works, not if it is true.

"Why is evolution so universally believed today?" (Guzik)

1. In the 1920’s, a former substitute teacher in a Tennessee school volunteered to be the defendant in a case meant to challenge a state law prohibiting the teaching of evolution in the public schools. The teacher wasn’t even sure he had taught evolution, but the trial went ahead.

2. Prosecuting the case was William Jennings Bryan, former Secretary of State under Woodrow Wilson, and a three-time Democratic candidate for President. Bryan believed in the Bible, but not literally. He thought the “days” of Genesis referred not to 24-hour days, but to historical ages of indefinite duration. Leading the defense was Clarence Darrow, a famous criminal lawyer and agnostic lecturer. Darrow maneuvered Bryan to take the stand as an expert witness on the Bible, and he humiliated Bryan in a devastating cross-examination. Once that purpose was accomplished, Darrow pleaded guilty on behalf of his client and paid a $100 fine.

3. The trial was therefore inconclusive, but the “Scopes Monkey Trial” was presented to the world by sarcastic journalist H.L. Mencken, Broadway, and Hollywood, and was a huge public relations triumph for Darwinism. People who believed in God’s creation came to be thought of as fools and hicks, and evolution was given the veneer of respectability. Combine this with a strong anti-supernaturalism on the part of many scientists and educators, and today’s acceptance of evolution is understandable.

4. The same attitude is used to squelch debate and questions about evolution today. “When outsiders question whether the theory of evolution is as secure as we have been led to believe, we are firmly told that such questions are out of order. The arguments among the experts are said to be about matters of detail, such as the precise time scale and the mechanism of evolutionary transformations. These disagreements are signs not of crisis but of healthy creative ferment within the field, and in any case there is no room for doubt whatever about something called the ‘fact’ of evolution.” (Johnson)

The seventh day of creation.

"Thus the heavens and the earth, and all the host of them, were finished. And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made." Genesis 2:1-3 NKJV

Did God need to rest on the seventh day?

1. And He rested on the sevent day: God did not need rest on the seventh day because He was tired. He rested to show His creating work was done, to give a pattern to man regarding the structure of time (in seven-day weeks), and to give an example of the blessing of rest to man on the seventh day.

i. The seven-day week is permanently ingrained in man. Though some through history tried to change the seven-day week (a ten-day week was attempted during the French Revolution), those attempts have come to nothing. We are on a seven-day cycle because God is on a seven-day cycle.

2. In it He rested from all His work: Though God rested on the sevent day of creation, He did not institute the Sabbath or show us His rest for His own sake. God does not take the Sabbath off. Jesus Himself said, “My Father has been working until now, and I have been working” (John 5:17). God does not need a day off, but man needs to see the rest of God and know he can enter into it by the finished work of Jesus.

i. The description of each other day of creation ended with the phrase, “so the evening and the morning were the . . . day.” However, this seventh day of creation does not have that phrase. This is because God’s rest for us isn’t confined to one literal day. In Jesus, God has an eternal Sabbath rest for His people (Hebrews 4:9-11).

ii. “God, having completed His work of creation, rests, as if to say, ‘This is the destiny of those who are My people; to rest as I rest, to rest in Me.’ ” (Boice)

What is the purpose of the seventh day, and are Christians obligated to observe the Sabbath?

God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it: God sanctified the seventh day because it was a gift to man for rest and replenishment, and most of all because the Sabbath is a shadow of the rest available through the person and work of Jesus Christ.

i. Colossians 2:16-17 and Galatians 4:9-11 make it clear that Christians are not under obligation to observe the Sabbath today, because Jesus fulfilled the purpose and plan of the Sabbath for us and in us (Hebrews 4:9-11). Yet Christians do not lose the Sabbath; every day is a day of rest in the finished work of Jesus Christ. Every day is specially set apart to God.

ii. Though we are free from the legal obligation of the Sabbath, we dare not ignore the importance of a day of rest. God has built us so we need one. But we are also commanded to work six days. “He who idles his time away in the six days is equally culpable in the sight of God as he who works on the seventh.” (Clarke) In our modern world of four or five day workweeks and generous vacation time, surely more “leisure time” can be given to the work of the LORD.

RiZ III

Yes, and that was part of God's providential plan. Paul states in Romans that the Jews have collectively been partially blinded, partly so that all men might begin in unbelief. Though he also says that a remnant will be saved even now in this dispensation of grace, eg Messianic Torah Judaism.

Overall most Jews would look at a passage like Isaiah 53 and not consider it to be in reference to the cruxifixion of Jesus. But that is--as I said--part of God's providential plan. The Jews will collectively embrace Christ as the Messiah at the end of the Great Tribulation.

First, no one knows what God's plan is as you keep saying. All we have are interpretations and efforts to understand His plan, but there is no sure way to know which understanding is right. In order to even begin to understand His plan, one has to be fair to the source. That means understanding the words in context and being honest with what it is saying. Now, no matter what one might try to argue, the conscience knows how honest it is being to itself. That said, understanding Isaiah 53 as referring to Jesus is a Christian understanding, one that has always been debated even in the Christian world. When read in context, it is very obviously speaking about the nation of Israel. Israel is often referred to as “God's Servant” even with Isaiah as it says “You are My servant, O Israel” (41:8, 49:3, etc.)

In order to believe that this passage is really referring to Jesus, one really has to look the other way and just ignore the context, ignore the underlying Hebrew, and ignore the fact that it isn't referring to a single person. The Hebrew text here, like in the much of these poetic passages in the Jewish Bible, is full of imagery and allegory. To read it literally and project completely foreign beliefs of a very different religion more than a thousand years after its writing is doing it gross injustice.

You have to rightly divide the Word. That passage is in reference to this in Ezekiel 18: 20:
'The person who sins will die. The son will not bear the punishment for the father’s iniquity, nor will the father bear the punishment for the son’s iniquity; the righteousness of the righteous will be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked will be upon himself.'

Why are you cutting and pasting in the first place? That passage from Jeremiah is a complete passage on its own. Second, Ezekiel was written after Jeremiah. Speaking of Ezekiel though,
passage 18 completely contradicts modern Christian understanding of one dying for another.

The passage in Jeremiah is talking about a time when the Jews collectively will be converted to Messiah Jesus. When God says that he will write his laws and commandments on their hearts and minds and that they will keep his statutes he is referring to them being holy. No unsaved person (whether Jew or Gentile) can keep God's moral laws without coming to Christ.

Again, this isn't what the text says. This is projecting Christian theology on Jeremiah. Jeremiah doesn't speak of atonement of sin, any kind of messiah, a trinity, a begotten son of God, or anything of the sort. Instead of jumping through mental hoops, it would make more sense to read it for what it is: Jewish theology.

There are so many things wrong with that article I'm not sure where to begin. First of all, that logic is very flawed. I could use it to say that since polytheism is found all over the world for thousands of years, there really must be hundreds of gods. Second, animal sacrifices in these cultures weren't done as substitutionary sacrifices; it was not about an animal suffering and dying instead of a human being. Animal sacrifices have held varying meanings for different culture. Some do it to feed the gods, some to gain strength of life (example: bull represented power to Romans), some as a symbolic representation of killing inside them what the animal represents, some to give up something precious as meat is a precious food, so on. Thirdly, not all animal sacrifices are blood sacrifices. For example in Hinduism, which out dates even Judaism, animals are strangled or bludgeoned to death.

Also, he states Noah living around the ice age as a matter of fact even though we have no idea when he lived or if he was before or after the ice age. I remember that being debated by the professor and some of his devout Christian students back in my NT class in college. They discussed it for two days. Anyways, we have no evidence of animal sacrifices being done during the ice age. Meat was extremely hard to come by back then, so it's hard to imagine people throwing it away on a sacrifice, but who knows. We certainly don't have any evidence of it.

The innocent blood was probably a reference to child sacrifice:

'We shall observe the following chapter divisions. First, there is a statement of the case against Judah, coupled with a reiteration of the Law of God and a ringing command for the people of God to repent of their apostasy (Jeremiah 7:1-7). Then there is a further description of the people's apostasy and of their rejection of God's Word (Jeremiah 7:8-12). This is followed by the announcement of God's judgment against them (Jeremiah 7:13-15). There follows an attack against the false worship of the Queen of Heaven (Jeremiah 7:16-20). The prophet denounced their supposition that sacrifices could be substituted for true obedience to God's Word (Jeremiah 7:21-28). The chapter concludes with a vehement condemnation of the sacrifice of children to Molech in the Valley of Hinnom, and other evil practices (Jeremiah 7:29-34). '

The child sacrifices were happening in Hinnom, not the Temple. The only blood being shed at the temple was the blood of the animals. Speaking of child sacrifices, it is pretty clear here that God finds the idea vulgar.

Jesus, in that passage, was not referring to the ceremonial laws of which the Gentiles are not subject, but to the moral law.

What does Jesus mean when He says, “Except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 5:20)?

'To be righteous, in biblical language, is to be right or pleasing to God. Pleasing God involves keeping His Law. Many Christians today insist that the righteousness which this verse refers to is the righteousness of Christ which clothes every believer by imputation.
…..

You are right in that the Laws of God aren't just about the rituals, they encompass all of Jewish life. To be clear, he was certainly referring to the Jewish laws ie: God's commandments. That's why he continues in that passage to talk about fasting, adultry, prayer, the golden rule, charity, divorce, etc.. Those things he spoke of, he was reminding his people to do. Instead of “shedding innocent blood” and thereby making it a “den of robbers”, he preached these important actions one must take to be called in the kingdom of heaven. He never told them to abandon those laws. Also, John is quoted to support grace through faith, but that not only contradicts this passage in Mathew, but also all of the Letter of James which emphasizes faith by works or as he says “You believe there is one God. Good! Even the demon's believe that.” John has a very different theology than the synoptics, some of the letters, and even Paul. It is the latest of the gospels, the most fluently Greek, and the most removed from Jesus' Jewish world and views.

Again, that was an expression of his humanity. There were times when he marveled at the centurion's faith. There were times when he was grieved over the hardness of the Pharisees and Saducees hearts. Paul says that Jesus emptied himself in his incarnation. He humbled himself, he had to trust God while on this earth, as the perfect example for the Church and the captain of our salvation.

This is the one thing I will never understand about Christian theology and something Christians don't really understand themselves which is why they call it the “divine mystery.” If Jesus was God, then he was not human. If he was human, he was not God. Yet Jesus was God, and God was Jesus, and God is One. Yet here, you are referring to him and God as two separate beings. You say he had to trust God, yet he was God, that he marveled at the centurion's faith yet believe God is all knowing. That God is eternal, yet he died. I don't see a mystery here, rather two different theologies which are trying to be merged. One is of monotheism, and another of dualism or polytheism. One is authentically Jewish, and the other authentically pagan. Combine them and they make no sense. I would understand why you would treat them as separate if you're Mormon though because they do believe that the father and son are seperate.

Fair enough, it could be understood as both ways, but that's not really the problem. The main issue is concerning the context. You say “And it can also be understood as a dual fulfillment,” but the problem is that the passage is most definitely talking about one prophecy that already ”came to pass in the days of Ahaz”. Second, the birth in the prophecy is not what is significant, as it is only a sign to Ahaz. Third, it would only be significant if it happened during the reign of Ahaz. Fourth, he would eat “curds and honey when he knows enough to reject the wrong and choose the right.” Now I don't recall any reference to Jesus eating those to figure out what's right and wrong, but why would God need to eat honey and curd in order to know right and wrong???

This is not according to what the Jews understood of what Jesus meant when he called himself the Son of God:

33 "We are not stoning you for any of these," replied the Jews, "but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God."34 Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your Law, 'I have said you are gods' ?35If he called them 'gods,' to whom the word of God came--and the Scripture cannot be broken--36what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world? Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, 'I am God's Son'?

A couple things here. The OT is full of references to sons of God as I already said. To be a son of God was to be a chosen one of God. Even the Psalm Jesus is quoting there has the same meaning. “you are all sons of the Most High. But you will die like mere men; you will fall like every other ruler”. To put it in modern English, you are all chosen ones of God, but you will die like any other man. Jesus actually never claims to be the actual physical son of God here. He merely points out to them that them that the phrase “son of God” is not blasphemous, which it wasn't.

There are two reasons why these Jews might have stoned him for saying this phrase. One, they didn't realize that the phrase is very Biblical. Just like many Jews, Christians, Muslims, Hindus, etc, are unacquainted with their holy books today, so were many people back then if not more so. Even today many Jews probably don't know that there are many sons of God in their book. Many Jews haven't even read their book, same with Christians or any other group. If I went into a Jewish gathering and said God had sons, they'd probably say I was uttering blasphemy. If they did, I would recite the same thing Jesus did. Nothing wrong with that or with that verse.
Many Christians don't know that Jesus had siblings. The point is, people have always been uneducated about their holy books. 1st century Palestine was even worse considering the vast majority of people were illiterate and also didn't speak Hebrew or Greek which were the only two languages the Tenakh was available in.

The second scenario is that the author of John didn't realize this phrase was a very Jewish phrase since he obviously had a pagan understanding of it so he figured such an event would have occurred. This event is only found in John which is the least Jewish gospel of them all and the latest one to come around. It's true that the Pharisees challenged Jesus in all other accounts, but he wasn't attacked for blasphemy. Afterall, that isn't what he was killed for. He was killed for claiming to be the Messiah, ie a ruler apart from Caesar, which was a Roman crime. Since the High Temple was a puppet to the Roman governorship and was required by them to prevent rebellion, they turned him over to the Romans.

The disciples with the exception of John all gave their lives for the belief that Jesus was the incarnate Son of God who died for the sins of the world.

This might be what is taught in Sunday school, but it's bad history. Incarnate Son of God theology is a later development. There isn't a serious scholar of Christian history that argues this. It is even taught in seminary schools. You could go ask your pastor if you want to hear it from him.

And God left clues and hints throughout the Old Testament even before he fully revealed to man his Triune nature . For instance, we have this passage in Psalms 110: 1:

The LORD says to my Lord: "Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet." A passage of which Jesus referenced to the Pharisees and applied to himself:

42"What do you think about the Christ ? Whose son is he?" "The son of David," they replied. 43 He said to them, "How is it then that David, speaking by the Spirit, calls him 'Lord'? For he says,44" 'The Lord said to my Lord: "Sit at my right hand until I put your enemies under your feet." '45If then David calls him 'Lord,' how can he be his son?"46 No one could say a word in reply, and from that day on no one dared to ask him any more questions. Matthew 22: 42-46.

Lord in the ancient world, both Jewish and Roman, is just a title. It is a sign of respect for any significant superior. The Lord is God, my Lord is David. Again, this is projecting 4th century Christian thought onto 8th century BCE Jewish writings.

Then there are passsages in the Old Testament the point to the Holy Spirit:

'Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.'Genesis 1: 2 This passage shows that the Holy Spirit was present and active during creation.

'Then the LORD said, "My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, because he also is flesh; nevertheless his days shall be one hundred and twenty years." Genesis 6: 3. This passage reveals the convicting nature of the Holy Spirit, which Jesus himself also affirms in the Gospel of John, showing him to be a person of the Godhead.

'But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. 8 When he comes, he will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment: 9 about sin, because people do not believe in me; 10 about righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; 11 and about judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned.

The Spirit was understood to be an attribute of God in Jewish tradition, not a separate entity. It became a separate entity not by the authors of the Gospel, but by later Christian theologians of the 3rd and 4th century. That's just history. “The Confession of the Council of Nicaea said little about the Holy Spirit.  The doctrine of the divinity and personality of the Holy Spirit was developed by Athanasius(living in 4th century) in the last decades of his life.[76] He defended and refined the Nicene formula. By the end of the 4th century, under the leadership of Basil of Caesarea, Gregory of Nyssa, and Gregory of Nazianzus (the Cappadocian Fathers), the doctrine had reached substantially its current form. “
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity#History_2

It is not 'a very late innovation' when it is detailed in the Word of God.

Again, this is just history. The modern Christian understanding of the atonement of sins “is less than a thousand years old. It first appeared in 1097 in a theological treatise by Anselm of Canterbury.
…
In the centuries after Anselm, this understanding of the cross became part of 'common Christianity'
…
eeing the cross of Jesus as a substitutionary sacrifice for sin is bad history, bad anthropology, and bad theology.”
(The First Paul p.128-129)

Also, this theory wasn't even completely accepted in his time:

“Only a generation later, theologian Pierre Abelard(French, 1079-1142, Roman Catholic) challenged Anselm’s view.  Resistance—nay, revulsion—over the substitutionary atonement theory is almost as old as the theory itself!
In his Exposition on the Epistle to the Romans, [Abelard] questioned [the substitutionary atonement theology of Anselm of Canterbury].  “Who will forgive God for the sin of killing his own child?” he asked.  “How cruel and wicked it seems that anyone should demand the blood of an innocent person as the price for anything, or that it should in any way please him that an innocent man should be slain—still less that God should consider the death of his son so agreeable that by it he should be reconciled to the whole world!””

How much history do Christians study as part of the religion?

a-history-of-christianity-the-first-three-thousand-years.jpg

I'm reading this at the moment, and it seems quite balanced, not a polemic either way, and is certainly immense i scope. Any Christians read it and have opinions?

Grim1ock

Banned
Because the more we strive for it, the less we will commit evil and hurt ourselves and those we love.

Yes but we as humans will never be perfect. No matter how much you pray or how much righteous you become. Humans are fallible by nature. Having an assumption that God demands perfection is just wrong.

A God of love, that gives us His Spirit, so that we can live like His Son did every day of our lives.

A god of love will never expect perfection from his humans. And as the creator he should know that. A god of love will encourage his creation to do good and reward them and forgive them when they err and ask for forgiveness

Jesus said that he willingly offered Himself for us. Why? Because "there is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends." While we were sinners, during the most horrible thing we have ever done or will do, God loved us and offers us the cure for the virus we all have. I see this as an amazing thing and I am grateful Jesus willingly came down and took the beating he did to give us all pardons.

Virus? I have this virus for which adam and eve somehow got and passed it to me and no matter how much good i do or how much things i do in the service of god that somehow it's all in vain and it takes the blood of an innocent man to wipe away this virus? What can kind of logic is this?

If we were expected to live perfectly, like God wants us to, but he didn't give us the tools to accomplish this task, God would be unfair. But that isn't the case and we can do it with God's help.

God has all the tools. It's called forgiveness. If you commit a sin against me and you subsequently apologise to me truly i forgive you. I dont need a blood sacrifice from you

I agree. But you are responsible for all of the evil you have ever committed, will commit, have committed against others, and will commit against others. All of us are in guilty in some way. The Bible calls Jesus are defense lawyer. But this lawyer is not like normal lawyers. This lawyer, Jesus, only takes guilty pleas. If we admit to being guilty, Jesus will handle the case and win it 100% of the time.

Yes i am responisble for my sins. However i am not responsible for what adam and eve did. Or what my father did. or what my mom does. I am my own master and an unjust god will not hold me responsible for what 2 people did thousands of years ago in the garden of eve.
And if i want forgivness then logically i ask forgiveness from the very person who has the sole power to forgive. And that is God. This is another contention. For christians jesus is like an intermediatery. For muslims there is no intermediatery. All power lies under God himself and he is the one who grants forgiveness

The thing is, Jesus is the incarnate Son of God. He did not just come into existence in the manger, he existed throughout eternity past with the Father and the Holy Spirit.

Incarnate son of god? God almighty can give birth to sons? How does that work out?

On the cross, God's mercy, justice, and love all meet. God demonstrates his love and mercy because he places the entirety of the world's sin debt on his Son, and it demonstrates his justice in that sin is punished. God cannot just wink at sin. Sin has to be dealt with.

A man hanging half naked on the cross, humliated by the onlookers in terrible pain and agony is a symbol of God's mercy? A man who of no fault of his own is sacrificed by an almighty powerful God to somehow neutralise some mysterious sin that has been done by 2 other people (who i must say were punished for it as well) so millions of people can that say i am saved? You call that justice and mercy?

You have to understand that back in the Garden of Eden Adam and Eve were clothed in glory. Mankind was and still is destined for greatness, there is plenty of scripture to to prove that. When Satan came and deceived Eve and Adam sinned knowingly that is when sin and death had entered into them. They lost they glory that God had gave them. Thus all of the descendants of Adam and Eve would bear the curse of sin until a redeemer came.

At the beginning mankind was full of glory and righteousness. When Satan made man fall, it stripped us of this and made us sinful by nature. Sin became part of our biology. When you understand the Torah and what the "Curse of the Law" really means. You understand why the Redeemer had to be a kinsman of Adam (the Go'el). When you become saved and accept Jesus (Yahshua) as your Lord and Savior, you have access to the tree of life and regain what was lost at the Garden of Eden.

For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. If you read Romans 8 the apostle talks about us receiving the Spirit of Adoption.

And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

By becoming saved the glory and righteous that was lost is restored to you. The best example I can think of is think of humanity as nobility. God has and still does have great plans for humanity. When Satan came and made man fall, we were stripped of our nobility our rightful claim to the throne. When we become "heirs and joint heirs" we regain our nobility by being redeemed and sanctified through The Messiah.

You personally may not be responsible for what Adam and Even did. But if your understand the Old Testament and the book of Ruth is a great example. You realize that it had to be a kinsman of Adam to redeem all of humanity.

God is not lacking and incomplete. He didn't have to redeem humanity. But because of His love for His creation He sent his Son out of love to die for us that we could be redeemed.

If you really want a better understanding I think you should look at this video. Its a recording of Chuck Missler speaking about Adam as a type of Christ. I hope it helps you understand how the correlation between Adam and Even is similar to that of how much God loves his creation and wants us to dwell and have fellowship with Him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsaQf2UWzoU

Adam and eve were not infalliable or at the height of glory as you put it before eating that apple. Otherwise they would never ever listened to satan. The fact that adam and eve disobeyed god's commandment proofs in itself that Humanity was created to be weak and fallible.

Now let's continue this theory. They eat the apple and were cast out of heaven and punished. is that not punishment enough from God? Now somehow we are all stained by this sin. From adam and eve down to the last human on earth. That somehow this sin which is heredeiry in nature requires the blood of an innocent man to somehow neautralise it? That some young boy in the junges of africa who of no fault of his own somehow carries this burden of sin made by adam and eve and it requires jesus to clean it out?

How can this be? This is not how God works. I and you would never accept such behaviour from a human in the real world. Holding someone else responsible for the action of another. And yet you are willing to accept such things from a just infallible loving God?

No God almighty in my opinion is above such things. Every one is born sinless. We are not accountable to what adam and eve did. They got punished for it and begged God's forgivness and he gave them that. End of the matter.

Comments in black

Chaplain

"This is the history of the heavens and the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens, before any plant of the field was in the earth and before any herb of the field had grown. For the LORD God had not caused it to rain on the earth, and there was no man to till the ground; but a mist went up from the earth and watered the whole face of the ground. And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being." Genesis 2:4-7 NKJV

The first time God's name is mentioned in the Bible.

In the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens: This is the first use of LORD (Yahweh) in the Bible. Our English word Lord comes from the Anglo-Saxon word for bread (as does our word loaf), because ancient English men of high stature would keep a continual open house, where all could come and get bread to eat. They gained the honorable title of lords, meaning “dispensers of bread.”

How was vegetation watered on Earth?

The LORD God had not caused it to rain on the earth: When God first created vegetation (on the third day of creation, Genesis 1:11-13), man was not yet been created to care for the vegetation of the earth, and there was no rain. The thick blanket of water vapor in the outer atmosphere created on the second day of creation (Genesis 1:6-8) made for no rain cycle (as we know it) but for a rich system of evaporation and condensation, resulting in heavy dew or ground-fog.

"Adam’s name literally means “man.” But the root of his name comes from that from which he was fashioned: dust." (Courson)

The LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground: When God created man He made him out of the most basic elements, the dust of the ground. There is nothing “spectacular” in what man is made of, only in the way those basic things are organized.

i. When the Bible speaks of dust, it means something of little worth, associated with lowliness and humility (Genesis 18:27; 1 Samuel 2:8; 1 Kings 16:2). In the Bible, dust isn’t evil and it isn’t nothing; but it is next to nothing.

When did Adam becoming a living being?

And breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being: With this Divine breath man became a living being, like other forms of animal life (the term chay nephesh is used in Genesis 1:21, and here). Yet only man is a living being made in the image of God (Genesis 1:26-27).

i. The word for breath in Hebrew is ruach - the word imitates the very sound of breath - is the same word for Spirit, as is the case in both ancient Greek (pneuma) and Latin (spiritus). God created man by putting His breath, His Spirit, within him.

ii. “The implication, readily seen by any Hebrew reader, [is] that man was specially created by God’s breathing some of His own breath into him.” (Boice)

iii. The King James Version reads: man became a living soul. This makes some wonder if man is a soul, or if man has a soul. This passage seems to indicate that man is a soul, while passages like 1 Thessalonians 5:23 and Hebrews 4:12 seem to indicate that man has a soul. It seems that the Scripture speaks in both ways, and uses the term in different ways and in different contexts.

"The LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden, and there He put the man whom He had formed. And out of the ground the LORD God made every tree grow that is pleasant to the sight and good for food. The tree of life was also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil." Genesis 2:8-9 NKJV

Does Genesis 1 contradict Genesis 2?

1. The LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden: Eden was a garden specifically planted by God; it was a place God made to be a perfect habitation for Adam (and later, Eve).

2. There he put the man whom He had formed: The details in the creation of Adam and Eve teach us something. After reading Genesis 1, we might assume man and woman were made at the same time, but the text doesn’t specifically say so. We assume it. We don’t know the details about man’s creation until Genesis 2.

3. Out of the ground the LORD God made every tree grow: The rest of Genesis chapter 2 does not present a different or contradictory account of creation. Rather, it is probably the history of creation from Adam’s perspective. This is Adam’s experience of creation, which does not contradict the account of Genesis 1:1-2:7 - it fills it out.

i. In Matthew 19:4-5, Jesus refered to events in Genesis 1 and to events in Genesis 2 as one harmonious account.

The differences between both of the trees God planted in the Garden of Eden.

The tree of life . . . the tree of the knowledge of good and evil: These two trees were among all the other trees God created and put in the Garden of Eden.

i. The tree of life was to grant (or to sustain) eternal life (Genesis 3:22). God still has a tree of life available to the His people (Revelation 2:7), which is in heaven (Revelation 22:2).

ii. The tree of the knowledge of good and evil was the “temptation” tree. Eating the fruit of this tree would give Adam an experiential knowledge of good and evil. Or, it is possible that it is called the tree of the knowledge of good and evil not so man would know good and evil, but so God could test good and evil in man.

Then the LORD God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to tend and keep it. And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, “Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat; but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.” Genesis 2:15-17 NKJV

What was the first job? Gardening.

Put him in the garden of Eden to tend and keep it: God put Adam into the most spectacular paradise the world has seen, but God put Adam there to do work (to tend and keep it). Work is something good for man and was part of Adam’s perfect existence before the fall.

i. “The ideal state of sinless man is not one of indolence without responsibility. Work and duty belong to the perfect state.” (Leupold)

Choice, free will, the main ingredient in all loving relationships.

Of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat: The presence of this tree - the presence of a choice for Adam - was good because for Adam to be a creature of free will, there had to be a choice, some opportunity to rebel against God. If there is never a command or never something forbidden there can then never be choice. God wants our love and obedience to Him to be the love and obedience of choice.

i. Considering all that, look at Adam’s advantages. He only had one way he could sin and we have countless ways. There are many trees of temptation in our lives, but Adam had only one.

ii. God made this command originally to Adam, not to Eve; God had not yet brought woman out of man.

The beginning of consequences.

In the day that you eat of it you shall surely die: God not only made His command clear to Adam, but He also clearly explained the consequences for disobedience.

i. "Notice God does not say, “If you eat of that tree, I’m going to kill you.” He says, “If you eat of the tree, it will kill you.” For many years, I thought that if I did something wrong, God would track me down. No, the Bible says, “Be sure your sin will find you out” (Numbers 32:23). It is sin that tracks us down, our sin that wipes us out. In the fruit of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, perhaps there was something carcinogenic, something that would cause men to begin to die." (Courson)

BobTheBub

How much history do Christians study as part of the religion?

a-history-of-christianity-the-first-three-thousand-years.jpg

I'm reading this at the moment, and it seems quite balanced, not a polemic either way, and is certainly immense i scope. Any Christians read it and have opinions?

Monotheistic Religion tends to work best when it's followers don't look into the Genesis of the religious Dogma too deeply.

I like this quote from an article about the study of theology leading to Atheism for many.

It seems to me now that the process of completing a degree in theology is directly related to changes in belief and for at least a percentage of people, loss of faith.

And this one from the comments on the article.

This was the strangest realization for me when I finally became an atheist, as a theist I had always held this misconception that people who were atheists did not believe in god because they refused to look at all of the facts, but now I have first hand experience that the exact opposite is in fact the case!

Chaplain

Lectures on various Christian subjects:

Who was Jesus, Really? Searching for the Historical Jesus - William Lane Craig at Columbia University

For the past two thousand years, Christians have claimed that Jesus is the Son of God. But over the years, critics have raised many challenges to these claims. Are the Biblical accounts of Jesus historically accurate? Has too much been corrupted over time or lost in translation? What do we make of the contradictions between gospels? Can we ignore the supernatural events in the gospels, especially Jesus' resurrection? Who did Jesus himself claim to be? Can we answer these questions with any certainty? Senior Scholar Dr. Peter Pazzaglini facilitates questions as Dr. William Lane Craig unpacks these controversial issues. Listen, and explore the debate surrounding the identity of a figure who has shaped the course of western civilization.

Testing Prayer: Science and Miraculous Healing - Candy Gunther Brown at Boston College

Candy Gunther Brown, associate professor of religious studies at Indiana University, presents her acclaimed research on science and miraculous healing, arguing that there are ways that science can tackle even the most mysterious phenomena.

Is Anything Worth Believing In? Hear Perspectives from Stephen Tuck and Michael Lewis at Williams College

What is truth? How can we know for sure? How does it matter to my life, today? And is it worth believing in anything in a world filled with good reasons for doubt? Join popular Williams art professor Michael Lewis and Oxford history professor Stephen Tuck in a conversation about truth, belief, and academics. This event is moderated by Williams math professor Satyan Devadoss.

A Cambridge scholar investigates new evidence for the authenticity of the Gospels at the University of Chicago

Are the gospels genuine? Is there any evidence for the claims made about the life of Jesus? Join the conversation as Dr. Peter Williams explores new evidence that the gospels are based on eyewitness accounts.

Dr. Peter Williams, Warden of Tyndale House at the University of Cambridge, presents new evidence for the authenticity of the New Testament Gospels. The event will be a time for conversation, questions, and dialogue.

Ian Hutchinson explores science and faith at Emory University

MIT Professor and Christian Ian Hutchinson argues that the fairly recent view that science can explain everything, or scientism, makes unrealistic promises of the scientific method. Instead, Hutchinson opens up a world in which multiple ways of knowing, including science, are equally legitimate. Among them, Hutchinson argues, is faith. Join Dr. Hutchinson and the Emory audience for a discussion about science, faith, and how we come to know the world.

Roald Hoffman, Nobel Laureate and Atheist, Says Every Culture Has a Need for Religion at Cornell University

Roald Hoffman, Nobel-winning chemist at Cornell, explains why he thinks the New Atheists have it wrong. Featuring MIT nuclear engineer and author Ian Hutchinson

God, Medicine and Suffering - Ray Barfield at Tulane University

If death is life's only certainty, why are we so often disillusioned when faced with its reality? What role should medicine play as we confront suffering and our own mortality? Come learn what the Christian faith has to say about death and suffering in the light of modern medicine. Dr. Ray Barfield, physician and professor at Duke Divinity School, discusses his work as a pediatric oncologist and how we consider suffering and death in light of faith.

Miracles: Is Belief in the Supernatural Irrational? With John Lennox at Harvard University

We live and learn in environments and institutions that often value the material and tangible over the immaterial and invisible. In this Forum, Oxford mathematician John Lennox explores the legitimacy of miracles and their supernatural implications.

Why Science Isn't Enough: Faith, Reason, & the Human Need For Certainty with Troy Van Voorhis at the University of Rhode Island

Do you have to be an atheist to be a scientist? MIT Chemistry Prof. Troy Van Voorhis says there's a kernel of truth to this, but that it's misguided in a crucial way.

Christopher Hitchens and John Haldane at Oxford University - We Don't Do God?

Does religion have a place in the public square? With it, can we have peace? Without it, can we have dignity? Join Christopher Hitchens, world-famous British journalist and anti-theist, and John Haldane, leading Scottish philosopher, commentator, and broadcaster, in a discussion on rights, dignity, faith and public life.

Ravi Zacharias - What does it Mean to be Human? (at Mayo Clinic)

As our moral sensibilities seem to drift further and further apart, we must ask ourselves, "What does it mean to be human?" For, as Ravi Zacharias, Christian thinker, writer, and speaker, reminds us, upon this definition all else hinges.

Ravi Zacharias is presently Visiting Lecturer at Wycliffe Hall, Oxford University in Oxford, England. Dr. Zacharias has been a visiting scholar at Cambridge University, where he studied moralist philosophers and literature of the Romantic era.

Can Genesis Be Compatible with Evolution? Tremper Longman and Jeff Schloss discuss @ UC Santa Barbara

Is there an inherent conflict between the Biblical creation narrative in Genesis 1-3 and the modern scientific theory of evolution? Does one have to reject evolution and the modern scientific enterprise to affirm the Christian faith? Likewise does one have to reject the Christian faith to affirm modern science? On the surface there appears to be tension between the two, but maybe there is more space, more intellectual breathing room, when dealing with these questions than previously thought. Dr. Tremper Longman and Dr. Jeff Schloss, preeminent scholars in their fields, not only ask the very same questions but give us compelling reasons to believe that this presupposed conflict is unnecessary. Listen in on a conversation between a Old Testament scholar and a Biologist as they wrestle with this important topic.

Chaplain

Yes but we as humans will never be perfect. No matter how much you pray or how much righteous you become. Humans are fallible by nature. Having an assumption that God demands perfection is just wrong.

Jesus said, "But you are to be perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect."

In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus taught that if we wanted to be accepted by God by our works, we would have to keep the entire law, internally and externally, thus being perfect.

Virus? I have this virus for which adam and eve somehow got and passed it to me and no matter how much good i do or how much things i do in the service of god that somehow it's all in vain and it takes the blood of an innocent man to wipe away this virus? What can kind of logic is this?

A few things.

1. This virus is easy to spot, because all this virus is is selfishness.
2. Adam represented the best humanity had. He didn't have parents before him that he could blame for his problems. His life was easy, and he choose to reject the relationship he had with God because of a choice he made by disobeying God. God said that death would be the result of disobeying him. I do not see a problem with this.
3. God set up the Old Testament temple sacrifices through Moses to show us of the ultimate sacrifice. In the Old Testament, when people sinned, if people wanted forgiveness, animals would have to be killed on behalf of the person who sinned. God even killed an animal in the Garden of Eden to cover the nakedness of Adam and Eve. A foreshadow of the ultimate sacrifice of Jesus Christ.
4. If you want to be accepted by God for your works, then you can try, but you will fail miserably. Why? Because you works are tainted with sin.

God has all the tools. It's called forgiveness. If you commit a sin against me and you subsequently apologise to me truly i forgive you. I dont need a blood sacrifice from you

God said in the Old Testament that people could not approach Him unless they went through a priest. Why? Because they were not set apart and sinned. God, who is holy, cannot be approached by sinful man. This is why Jesus came. To eliminate this separation. This is what the Old and New Testament teach. You are free to believe what you want to believe, but God has made the rules on how we can have a relationship with us.

Yes i am responisble for my sins. However i am not responsible for what adam and eve did.

Agreed.

Or what my father did. or what my mom does. I am my own master and an unjust god will not hold me responsible for what 2 people did thousands of years ago in the garden of eve.

God says we are each responsible for our own sins. So, I agree.

And if i want forgivness then logically i ask forgiveness from the very person who has the sole power to forgive. And that is God.

Jesus said you cannot approach God without Him, because your sins have separated you from God. You can believe that Jesus is wrong, and you are right. That is up to you.

This is another contention. For christians jesus is like an intermediatery. For muslims there is no intermediatery. All power lies under God himself and he is the one who grants forgiveness

Jesus contradicts what you are saying though:

"For just as the Father gives life to those he raises from the dead, so the Son gives life to anyone he wants. The Father has life in himself, and he has granted that same life-giving power to his Son. And he has given him authority to judge everyone because he is the Son of Man. In addition, the Father judges no one. Instead, he has given the Son absolute authority to judge, so that everyone will honor the Son, just as they honor the Father. Anyone who does not honor the Son is certainly not honoring the Father who sent him."

“Yet it isn’t I who will accuse you before the Father. Moses will accuse you! Yes, Moses, in whom you put your hopes. If you really believed Moses, you would believe me, because he wrote about me. But since you don’t believe what he wrote, how will you believe what I say?”

Chaplain

Introduction

Muslims, please read this first
The Gospel for Muslims
What is Islam?

Doctrines of Islam

What are the doctrines of Islam?
The Five Pillars of Islam
True faith in Islam
Islamic terms

Regarding Islam

Muhammad
The Qur'an
Notes from dialogues with Muslims
Chronology of Early Islam
Divisions within Islam

Issues and Answers

Islam and the Crucifixion of Jesus
Methods Muslims use to attack Christianity.
Comparison grid between Christianity and Islam doctrine
Does Islam teach salvation by works?
Questions for Muslims
More questions for Muslims
Differences between the Bible and the Qur'an
The Qu'ran (Koran) says the Bible is not corrupt
Has the New Testament been corrupted?
What did Jesus teach about the Old Testament?
Who has performed the greatest act of love, Yahweh or Allah?
Jihad: holy struggle or holy war?
Is the Trinity possible?
How holy is the God of Islam?
How just is the God of Islam?
Islam
A Comparison between Jesus and Muhammad
Is the God of Chrstianity and the God of Islam the same?

Muhammad and the Bible

Does Deuteronomy 18:15-18 predict the coming of Muhammad?
Does Deuteronomy 33:2 predict the coming of Muhammad?
Does Deuteronomy 34:10 predict the coming of Muhammad?
Does Psalm 45:3-5 predict the coming of Muhammad?
Does Isaiah 21:7 predict the coming of Muhammad?
Does Habakkuk 3:3 predict the coming of Muhammad?
Does John 14:16 predict the coming of Muhammad?

Responses to attempted rebuttals

Response to rebuttal to Matt Slick's Questions for Muslims article
Response to rebuttal to Matt Slick's More questions for Muslims article
Response to rebuttal to Matt Slick's More questions for Muslims article, pt 2

The Qur'an

Contradictions in the Qur'an
Interesting Quotes from the Qur'an
Interesting quotes from the Qur'an about women

The Qur'an: Problems

The Qur'an and the formation of sperm error

The Hadith

The Hadith
Interesting Quotes from the Hadith, part 1
Interesting Quotes from the Hadith, part 2
Interesting quotes from the Hadith about forgiveness
Interesting quotes from the Hadith about Jesus
Interesting quotes from the Hadith about Jihad
Interesting quotes from the Hadith about Muhammad
Interesting quotes from the Hadith about Satan

Recommended Background Information for Answering Objections

The Trinity
Jesus' humbled state and what it means
Verses showing the plurality of God in the Old and New Testaments
Has the New Testament been corrupted?
What did Jesus teach about the Old Testament?

Objections Answered about the Trinity

The Trinity makes no sense. It is illogical.

Objections Answered about Jesus

Did Jesus ever say the exact words "I am God?"
If Jesus is called the Son of God, do you think that makes him God?
Jesus cannot be the son of God.
If Jesus is God, who did He pray to?
God cannot be tempted. Jesus was tempted. Jesus cannot be God.
God is infinite. Matter is finite. God could not become a man.
Why is it necessary for God to die for our sins?
Questions from a Muslim about Jesus being God
The Bible is false (and Jesus is not God) because Jesus obeyed Satan
If Jesus is God, then why did not know the time of His return?
If Jesus is God, why did He say the Father was greater than He?

Objections Answered about Jesus' Crucifixion and Resurrection

Islam and the Crucifixion of Jesus
Is the Easter Story of Jesus' Resurrection True?
Does Matthew 26:38-39 deny the Crucifixion of Jesus?
Does Hebrews 5:7 deny the Crucifixion of Jesus?

Dialogues With Muslims

Can the Muslim do enough good works to go to paradise?
Which is true, the Bible or the Qur'an? part 1
Which is true, the Bible or the Qur'an? part 2
A Muslim makes a threat.
A Muslim and the gospel
Is there any evidence for Islam being true?
A Muslim denies Jesus and plays word games

Leaving Islam

Journey as a Muslim - Al-Gharib's Story

Additional Resources on the Net

Investigate Islam
Answering Islam

does YHWH have a begotten son?
of course he does.

a message from Nathan to King David from the Word of YHWH said:
When your days are fulfilled that you must go to be with your fathers, that I will set up one of your descendants after you, who will be of your sons; and I will establish his kingdom. 12 He shall build for Me a house, and I will establish his throne forever. 13 I will be his father and he shall be My son; and I will not take My lovingkindness away from him, (F)as I took it from him who was before you. 14 But I will settle him in My house and in My kingdom forever, and his throne shall be established forever.”’

how is this messianic?
its messianic because the kingly messiah will reign and rule forever according to the old testament. The kingly messiah will be the son of YHWH.

another verse:
a psalm written by david or nathan as they write down the decree of YHWH psalm 2:7-9 said:
“I will surely tell of the [e]decree of the YHWH:
He said to Me, ‘You are My Son,
Today I have begotten You.

8 ‘Ask of Me, and (N)I will surely give (O)the [f]nations as Your inheritance,
And the very (P)ends of the earth as Your possession.

9 ‘You shall [g](Q)break them with a [h]rod of iron,
You shall (R)shatter them like earthenware.’”
10 Now therefore, O kings, (S)show discernment;
Take warning, O [j]judges of the earth.
11 [k]Worship the Lord with [l](T)reverence
And rejoice with (U)trembling.
12 Do homage to the Son, that He not become angry, and you perish in the way,
For His wrath may soon be kindled.
How blessed are all who take refuge in Him!

in this set verse, the decree has been spoken about the FAther having a begotten son. And no, God isn't speaking to David. DAvid is merely writing down the decree of YHWH as often a prophet would do when they hear the Word of YHWH.
and in the latter verse, the decree mentions to pay homage to the Son, not YHWH, but the Son. Also see revelation 19, it gives light to this passage.

daniel 7:13-14 said:
13 “In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like a son of man,[a](AD) coming(AE) with the clouds of heaven.(AF) He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence. 14 He was given authority,(AG) glory and sovereign power; all nations and peoples of every language worshiped him.(AH) His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom(AI) is one that will never be destroyed.(AJ)
this verse clearly states that there are two throwns in heaven. one for the Father and one for the son of man. Yeshua called himself the son of man many times in the NT.
Also shows the nations will worship the son of man.

also see:
psalm 110:1-3 said:
The Lord says to my Lord:
“Sit at My right hand
Until I make Your enemies a footstool for Your feet.”
2 The Lord will stretch forth Your strong rod from Zion, saying,
“Rule in the midst of Your enemies.”
3 Your (F)people will volunteer freely in the day of Your power;
In holy array, from the womb of the dawn,
Your youth are to You as the dew.

this is king david speaking again. King david doesn't have anyone above him except YHWH. This lord that is above david will sit at the right hand of the father until He leaves heaven and is among the footstool of his enemies.

Here's another one that rabbis dont like.
proverbs 30:4 said:
Who has ascended into heaven and descended?
Who has gathered the wind in His fists?
Who has wrapped the waters in His garment?
Who has established all the ends of the earth?
What is His (E)name or His son’s name?
Surely you know!
Every (H)word of God is tested;
He is a (I)shield to those who take refuge in Him.
note the "taking refege in him" as the same as "taking refuge in the son" in psalm 2:7-9

a quote from YEshua
john 17:5 said:
5 Now, Father, (A)glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had (B)with You before the world was.

here's a verse from the aramaic peshitta. the oldest complete NT in the world.
Mark 14:62 said:
But Yeshua said to him, “I AM THE LIVING GOD, and you shall behold The Son of Man sitting at the right hand of Power and coming on the clouds of Heaven.”

Chaplain

And the LORD God said, “It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him.” Genesis 2:18 NKJV

"Adam’s single state was the only thing God created that He declared not good." (Courson)

It is not good that man should be alone: For the first time, God saw something that was not good - the aloneness of man. God never intended for man to be alone, either in the marital or social sense.

i. Marriage, in particular, has a blessed “civilizing” influence on man. The most wild, violent, sociopathic men in history have always been single, never under the plan God gave to influence men for good. This is not good!

God says Adam needs a companion.

1. I will make him a helper comparable to him: God’s “blueprint” for creating this companion to Adam was to make a helper comparable to Adam.

i. Different versions of the Bible translate this idea in a variety of ways, but the idea is essentially the same in each of them:

· Helper meet (suitable, adapted, completing) (Amplified)
· A companion . . . a helper suited to his needs (Living)
· A helper such as he needs (Beck)
· A helper correspondent to himself (Septuagint Bible)
· A helper suitable (NIV, NASB)
· A help meet for him (KJV)

2. A helper comparable: In reference to the marriage relationship, God created woman to be a perfectly suitable helper to the man. This means God gave the plan and agenda to Adam, and he and the woman together work to fulfill it.

i. The phrase “in reference to the marriage relationship” is used because God has not ordained women to be helpers to men in authority (instead of being in authority themselves), except in marriage and in the church (1 Timothy 2:12-13).

ii. God gives to man the responsibility (and the accountability) to be the leader in the home and gives to the woman the responsibility and the accountability to help him.

iii. This does not mean there is to be no help from the man to the woman (though in many cases this is sadly true). It means when God looks down from heaven upon the family, He sees a man in leadership, good or bad, faithful or not, to the calling of leadership. A true leader will, of course, help those helping him.

iv. We only see “helping” as a position of inferiority when we think like the world thinks. God considers positions of service as most important in His sight (Matthew 20:25-28).

3. A helper comparable: Not only was the woman to be a helper, but also she was made comparable to the man. She should be considered and honored as such. A woman or wife cannot be regarded as a mere tool or worker, but as an equal partner in God’s grace and an equal human being.

"Out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the air, and brought them to Adam to see what he would call them. And whatever Adam called each living creature, that was its name. So Adam gave names to all cattle, to the birds of the air, and to every beast of the field. But for Adam there was not found a helper comparable to him." Genesis 2:19-20 NKJV

Adam names all of the animals.

1. Brought them to Adam to see what he would call them: If Adam had the capability to intelligently name all the animals, it shows he was a brilliant man. Since at this time Adam’s intellect had not yet suffered from the fall, he was probably the most brilliant man who ever lived. Adam was the first and greatest of all biologists and botanists.

2. So Adam gave names: Adam did not name any other animal after himself, calling any other animal “man” or “human.” By this, we see he understood that he was essentially different from all the animals. They were not made in the image of God.

i. Mark Twain had a joke where he described Adam coming home to Eve after naming all the animals. Eve looked at an elephant and said, “What did you name that big animal?” Adam replied, “I called it an elephant.” Eve asked, “Why did you call it an elephant?” Adam answered, “Because it looked like an elephant!”

Could it be that at some point Adam came to the realization that everyone but him had a counterpart?

But for Adam there was not found a helper: It was obvious to Adam that the animals came in pairs and he had no mate. Since God deliberately had Adam name the animals after seeing his need for a partner (Genesis 2:18), God used this to prepare Adam to receive the gift of woman.

"And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall on Adam, and he slept; and He took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh in its place. Then the rib which the LORD God had taken from man He made into a woman, and He brought her to the man." Genesis 2:21-22 NKJV

God, the first surgeon.

1. God caused a deep sleep to fall on Adam: This is the first “surgery” recorded in history. God even used a proper anesthetic on Adam.

2. The ribe which the LORD God had taken from man He made into a woman: God used Adam’s own body to create Eve to forever remind him of their essential oneness. As Adam came to know Eve he would see many ways that they were different, but he must never forget that they are essentially one and that they are made of the same substance. They are more alike than they are different.

i. What exactly did God take from Adam’s side to make Eve? We don’t really know, and it doesn’t really matter. Modern research into cloning and genetic replication shows every cell in our body contains the body’s entire genetic blueprint. God took some of Adam’s cells and changed their genetic blueprint in the creation of Eve.

ii. We also know the Bride of Christ comes from the wound made in the side of the second Adam, Jesus Christ.

iii. There is a beautiful Jewish tradition saying God made woman, not out of man’s foot to be under him, nor out of his head to be over him, but “She was taken from under his arm that he might protect her and from next to his heart that he might love her.” (Barnhouse)

3. He made into a woman: It is important to realize that there are not two beginnings to the human race, one in Adam and one in Eve. There was one beginning of the human race in Adam.

4. And He brought her to the man: God brought Eve to Adam and created Eve out of Adam. He was first - the source and the head. She was created to be a helper perfectly suited to him. Thus the subordinate relationship of wives to husbands is found before the curse, not only after it.

And Adam said:
“This is now bone of my bones
And flesh of my flesh;
She shall be called Woman,
Because she was taken out of Man
.” Genesis 2:23 NKJV

"Adam’s brilliant understanding of who Eve is and how she is related to him." (Guzik)

1. This is now bone of my bones: Adam recognized that Eve was both like him (bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh) and not like him (woman . . . taken out of man).

2. Flesh of my flesh: Adam understood the essential oneness in his relationship with Eve. This point is so important that it is referred to several times in the New Testament, including the great marriage passage in Ephesians 5:28-29: so husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it (Ephesians 5:28-29).

i. No one walks into a room and seeks the most uncomfortable seat. The natural concern we have for ourselves causes us to take care of ourselves. In a healthy marriage relationship the husband realizes the essential union he has with his wife, that he cannot bless her without blessing himself and he cannot mistreat or neglect her without mistreating or neglecting himself.

3. She was taken out of Man: Adam recognized that though he and Eve were one, she was not the same as him. He understood that two different people were becoming one. 1 Peter 3:7 tells husbands to recognize that they are one with someone different, someone whom they must understand: Likewise you husbands, dwell with them with understanding, giving honor to the wife, as to the weaker vessel.

i. If men and women are different, are they equal? Elisabeth Elliot, quoted in Boice: “In what sense is red equal to blue? They are equal only in the sense that both are colors in the spectrum. Apart from that they are different. In what sense is hot equal to cold? They are both temperatures, but beyond this it is almost meaningless to talk about equality.”

"Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed." Genesis 2:24-25 NKJV

The first marriage.

1. They shall become one flesh: The marriage principle stated here is based upon the dynamic of oneness yet distinction. A man and wife can truly come together in a one-flesh relationship, yet they must be joined. It is a spiritual fact, but the benefits of that oneness are not appropriated by accident or by chance.

2. They shall become one flesh: This passage forms the foundation for the Bible’s understanding of marriage and family. Both Jesus (Matthew 19:5) and Paul (Ephesians 5:31) quoted it in reference to marriage.

i. “The institution of monogamous marriage, home, and family as the basic medium for the propagation of the race and the training of the young is so common to human history that people seldom pause to reflect on how or why such a custom came into being.” (Morris)

ii. Many want to believe that the monogamous, two-parent family was invented in the 1950’s by American television icons Ozzie and Harriet, but Adam and Eve are the original family. This is God’s ideal family. This isn’t polygamy. This isn’t concubinage. This isn’t the keeping of mistresses. This isn’t adultery. This isn’t promiscuity. This isn’t living together outside the marriage bond. This isn’t serial marriage. This is God’s ideal for the family, and even when we don’t live up to it, it is still important to set it forth as God’s ideal.

What does "one flesh" mean?

1. One flesh: The idea of one flesh is taken by many to be mainly a way of expressing sexual union. While sexual union is certainly related to the idea of one flesh, it is only one part of what it means to be one flesh. There are also important spiritual dimensions to one flesh.

i. Paul makes it clear the sexual union has one flesh implications even when we don’t intend so, as when a man has sex with a prostitute (1 Corinthians 6:16). Husband and wife become “one flesh” under God’s blessing. In extramarital sex, the partners become “one flesh” under God’s curse.

ii. In this sense, there is no such thing as “casual sex.” Every sexual relationship at least begins a one-flesh bond. The bond will either be something beautiful (like the beautiful dancing of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers) or it will be something grotesque (like Siamese twins).

iii. It depends on whether the bonding takes place in a relationship with the right conditions: committed love, demonstrated by the marriage commitment, and a pursuit of true intimacy. Just because sex is taking place in marriage doesn’t mean it is truly fulfilling God’s purpose of bonding together a one-flesh relationship.

2. They shall become one flesh: Though an initial bond in a one flesh relationship can be formed at the first sexual relationship a couple has, the fullness of what God wants to do in the one flesh relationship takes time. It has to become.

Adam and Eve were sinless. This is why they were not ashamed of being naked.

They were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed: Before the fall, Adam and Eve were both naked . . . and not ashamed. The idea of “nakedness” is far more than mere nudity. It has the sense of being totally open and exposed as a person before God and man. To be naked . . . and not ashamed means you have no sin, nothing to be rightly ashamed of, nothing to hide.

i. Adam and Eve knew they were physically naked - nude - before the fall. What they did not know was a sinful, fallen condition, because they were not in that condition before their rebellion.

ii. We often feel uncomfortable when someone stares at us. This is because we associate staring with prying, and we don’t want people to pry into our lives. We want to remain hidden and only reveal to other people what we want to reveal.

iii. When we want to be most attractive to someone else, we do the most to change our normal appearance. We have the thought, “If I really want to impress this person, I have to fix myself up.” None of this feeling was present with Adam and Eve when they were naked . . . and not ashamed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom