• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christianity |OT| The official thread of hope, faith and infinite love.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaplain

That is actually a well-researched type, but what I'm referring to is this...

Moses tells God to show him his glory. God reminds him that nobody can fully see his glory and live, or more importantly His face. He then tells Moses:

Go stand on the rock (Jesus)
I will put you into the crevice or cleft of the rock (Jesus' wounds are represented by a cleft in the rock)
You will see my glory pass by (You will see God's glory when you come "into" THE Rock that is Jesus).

I just saw your post.

Here is the incident:

Numbers 20

Moses Strikes the Rock

In the first month of the year, the whole community of Israel arrived in the wilderness of Zin and camped at Kadesh. While they were there, Miriam died and was buried.

2 There was no water for the people to drink at that place, so they rebelled against Moses and Aaron. 3 The people blamed Moses and said, “If only we had died in the Lord’s presence with our brothers! 4 Why have you brought the congregation of the Lord’s people into this wilderness to die, along with all our livestock? 5 Why did you make us leave Egypt and bring us here to this terrible place? This land has no grain, no figs, no grapes, no pomegranates, and no water to drink!”

6 Moses and Aaron turned away from the people and went to the entrance of the Tabernacle, where they fell face down on the ground. Then the glorious presence of the Lord appeared to them, 7 and the Lord said to Moses, 8 “You and Aaron must take the staff and assemble the entire community. As the people watch, speak to the rock over there, and it will pour out its water. You will provide enough water from the rock to satisfy the whole community and their livestock.”

9 So Moses did as he was told. He took the staff from the place where it was kept before the Lord. 10 Then he and Aaron summoned the people to come and gather at the rock. “Listen, you rebels!” he shouted. “Must we bring you water from this rock?” 11 Then Moses raised his hand and struck the rock twice with the staff, and water gushed out. So the entire community and their livestock drank their fill.

12 But the Lord said to Moses and Aaron, “Because you did not trust me enough to demonstrate my holiness to the people of Israel, you will not lead them into the land I am giving them!” 13 This place was known as the waters of Meribah (which means “arguing”) because there the people of Israel argued with the Lord, and there he demonstrated his holiness among them.

Where in those verses does Moses ask God to show him His glory?

I just saw your post.

Here is the incident:

Where in those verses does Moses ask God to show him His glory?

I think you misunderstood me. I know that Moses was kept out of the Promised Land for having struck Jesus (the rock) twice rather than speaking to it (As well as for saying "WE [Moses and Aaron]" rather than God will supply water)...

But earlier in the text (Exodus 33:12-23), we read:
Moses Sees the Lord’s Glory

12 One day Moses said to the Lord, “You have been telling me, ‘Take these people up to the Promised Land.’ But you haven’t told me whom you will send with me. You have told me, ‘I know you by name, and I look favorably on you.’ 13 If it is true that you look favorably on me, let me know your ways so I may understand you more fully and continue to enjoy your favor. And remember that this nation is your very own people.”

14 The Lord replied, “I will personally go with you, Moses, and I will give you rest—everything will be fine for you.”

15 Then Moses said, “If you don’t personally go with us, don’t make us leave this place. 16 How will anyone know that you look favorably on me—on me and on your people—if you don’t go with us? For your presence among us sets your people and me apart from all other people on the earth.”

17 The Lord replied to Moses, “I will indeed do what you have asked, for I look favorably on you, and I know you by name.”

18 Moses responded, “Then show me your glorious presence.”

19The Lord replied, “I will make all my goodness pass before you, and I will call out my name, Yahweh, before you. For I will show mercy to anyone I choose, and I will show compassion to anyone I choose. 20 But you may not look directly at my face, for no one may see me and live.” 21 The Lord continued, “Look, stand near me on this rock. 22 As my glorious presence passes by, I will hide you in the crevice of the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by. 23 Then I will remove my hand and let you see me from behind. But my face will not be seen.”
So, to recap the Lord says:
You can't look at my face
Stand near me on this rock (who sits at the right hand of God? Jesus. Who is the rock of our salvation? Jesus.)
I will put you in the damaged part of the rock. (We enter God's favor through Jesus' wounds.)
Then and only then will Moses see God's glory (Christ is the visible image of the invisible God. He existed before anything was created and is supreme over all creation.)

Chaplain

I think you misunderstood me. I know that Moses was kept out of the Promised Land for having struck Jesus (the rock) twice rather than speaking to it (As well as for saying "WE [Moses and Aaron]" rather than God will supply water)...

Interesting fact: Moses did enter the promise land (Jerusalem). When? At the Mount of Transfiguration, when he appeared next to Jesus.

So, to recap the Lord says:
You can't look at my face
Stand near me on this rock (who sits at the right hand of God? Jesus. Who is the rock of our salvation? Jesus.)
I will put you in the damaged part of the rock. (We enter God's favor through Jesus' wounds.)
Then and only then will Moses see God's glory (Christ is the visible image of the invisible God. He existed before anything was created and is supreme over all creation.)

I see where you are going and how you got there. You are the first person that I have ever heard come to this conclusion in all my years studying scripture, reading the writings of scholars and theologians, or listening to the word through various pastor/teachers.

Spiritualizing scripture can sometimes make the text say things that God never intended it to say. For me, its better to stick to the context of a verse or verses and let the text speak for itself.

Chaplain

New blog is up: 1 Samuel chapter 15 (God Rejects Saul as King) verses 14-21.

Things discussed:

Saul is rejected as king (Part 1):

What are the consequences to being prideful and disobedient to God?
Saul "explains" his sin to Samuel through a series of excuses.
Is it possible for our sins to remove God from ruling our hearts?
History reveals that Saul's lies eventually caught up with him and almost succeeded in killing all Jews.
Samuel has enough of Saul's lies and excuses.
What is the main reason Saul willfully disobeyed God?
Why does God want humility to reign in our hearts?
Saul's self-deception leads him into telling more lies.
Saul uses physiological language on Samuel to pass the blame on to Israel.

Daily Bible Reading Plans for those that are looking for one:

Canonical Plan (1Yr)
This plan goes straight through the Bible—from Genesis to Revelation. You will be supplied with reading for each day of the week as a steady guide toward finishing the entire Bible in one calendar year.
download PDF

Chronological Plan (1Yr)
This plan does not read straight through the Bible from Genesis to Revelation. Rather, these readings are compiled according to recent historical research, taking into account the order in which the recorded events actually occurred. This is a fantastic plan to follow if you wish to add historical context to your reading of the Bible. If the schedule provided is followed, the entire Bible will be read in one calendar year.
download PDF

Historical Plan (1Yr)
Have you ever wondered what it would have been like to read the Old Testament in ancient Israel? Or, the New Testament as the books were written? In this plan, the order of the Old Testament readings is very similar to Israel's Hebrew Bible, progressing from Law to Prophets to Writings. The New Testament ordering is based upon research regarding the order in which the books were authored. Although this research is not conclusive, it may offer helpful insights to your Bible reading.
download PDF

Old Testament and New Testament Together Plan (1Yr)
It is important to understand the fullness of God's message to the churches, and a great way of doing this is reading the Old and New Testaments simultaneously. This plan, which can be completed in one calendar year, does just that. Readings from both Testaments are included from the beginning and although each reading does not contain both Testaments, the two are read effectively.
download PDF

Blended Plan (1Yr)
This plan is designed to add variety to your reading of the Bible. The Blended Plan divides the Bible so that the reader will read books in a non-traditional sequence. For example, while one is reading the book of Isaiah, he is also reading the book of Mark.
download PDF

Old Testament and New Testament Together Plan (2Yr)
It is important to understand the fullness of God's message to the churches, and a great way of doing this is reading the Old and New Testaments simultaneously. This plan, which can be completed in two calendar years, does just that. At a slower pace than the one-year version of this plan, readings from both Testaments color one's journey through the Bible.
download PDF

Interesting fact: Moses did enter the promise land (Jerusalem). When? At the Mount of Transfiguration, when he appeared next to Jesus.

I see where you are going and how you got there. You are the first person that I have ever heard come to this conclusion in all my years studying scripture, reading the writings of scholars and theologians, or listening to the word through various pastor/teachers.

Spiritualizing scripture can sometimes make the text say things that God never intended it to say. For me, its better to stick to the context of a verse or verses and let the text speak for itself.
Oh yes, of course he made it into the Promised Land. At the Transfiguration, Moses represented the dead in Christ while Elijah represented those who will be taken up without seeing death. Jesus of course, stood in the middle of it all as our cornerstone and High Priest. I just find types and shadows to be the amazing testament to the divinity of our Lord and His Holy Word.

I mean look at one more thing:
Moses was the representative of the law in his day. He led the Israelites out in the desert, but they only got near the Promised Land while he led. They didn't actually enter until Joshua led them in.

The Pentateuch which are also known as the 5 books of the law or the 5 books of Moses are followed by the book of Joshua. Moses alone couldn't get the Israelites into the Promised Land...

Therefore, we learn that you simply cannot enter the Promised Land without both the Law and the Messiah. It's just beautiful to me how God ordained that to happen.

Chaplain

New blog is up: 1 Samuel chapter 15 (God Rejects Saul as King) verses 14-21.

Things discussed:

Saul is rejected as king (Part 2):

What is God's view of our disobedience towards Him?
Why does God equate rebellion with witchcraft?
Why does God equate stubbornness with idolatry?
Is it possible to worship God without surrendering to Him?
Samuel prophesies God's judgment: Rejecting King Saul as King.
Was God to harsh with Saul's judgment?
Saul's weak effort towards repentance by continuing to blame others for his sins.
Saul's repentance fails due to not asking God for help with the real issue he was dealing with.

Question for Christian GAF:

I was reading the is a tattoo Haren thread, and this is something I never asked my priest about in parochial school or about in mass.

Are tattoos sinful in Catholic tradition?

I want to get some in the future, nothing vulgar and maybe one religious, but what's prevented me from doing so, or piercing my ears, or anything popular like that is the pressure to look like a parishioner and to not look different. I also thought it was immoral.

Does anyone have an idea of the ruling on those things in Catholocism?

Kansoku

Hey guys what do you think about the whole "unequal yoke" thing in 2 Corinthians 6:14?

I often see it linked to marriage, with people saying a believer should not marry a unbeliever, but the more and more I read this whole thing, the less I see this connection. To me, the way it's worded makes it sound like there can't be any type of relationship between a believer and a unbeliever, be it a romantic relationship or not. And obviously that can't be, because it contradicts the actions of Jesus. So I'm a little confused about this whole thing.

Are tattoos sinful in Catholic tradition?

I`m not Catholic so I can't talk about it specifically, but I think it depends who you ask.
The basis of the "no tatoos" thing comes from Leviticus 19:28. In the previous verse it says to not cut your beard, and people have no problem with this. Some people believe that the old law was fully "canceled" when Jesus came, some people thing some stuff are still valid today, some believe it must be upheld in it's entirety together with the new law. So in the end it depends.

Chaplain

Hey guys what do you think about the whole "unequal yoke" thing in 2 Corinthians 6:14?

I often see it linked to marriage, with people saying a believer should not marry a unbeliever, but the more and more I read this whole thing, the less I see this connection. To me, the way it's worded makes it sound like there can't be any type of relationship between a believer and a unbeliever, be it a romantic relationship or not. And obviously that can't be, because it contradicts the actions of Jesus. So I'm a little confused about this whole thing.

Good question. Our brothers and sisters in Corinth had actually committed this sin. This is one of the reasons for Paul's letter to them. Paul's rebuke is based on a law from the Old Testament which had different types of animals harnessed together. Believers in Corinth were acting and thinking like unbelievers by uniting with people who lived self-willed lives and worshiped idols.

If we are not dying to self, surrounding ourselves with people who choose to live a others-centered life, due to us still living in bodies that have the virus of sin, our morals can be corrupted. This is why we are exhorted to renew our minds and gather with other believers as much as possible. We must associate with unbelievers, but not associate with believers who choose to sin against God and His commands.

I will leave you will Peter's words that really explain to me what Paul is trying to drive home in the verse you quoted:

In view of all this, make every effort to respond to God’s promises. Supplement your faith with a generous provision of moral excellence, and moral excellence with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with patient endurance, and patient endurance with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love for everyone.

The more you grow like this, the more productive and useful you will be in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But those who fail to develop in this way are shortsighted or blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their old sins.

So, dear brothers and sisters, work hard to prove that you really are among those God has called and chosen. Do these things, and you will never fall away. Then God will give you a grand entrance into the eternal Kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Let me know if that helped or not.

A great lecture by Constitutional Professor and lawyer John Eidsmoe.

The Death of the Living so called Constitution

Chaplain

New blog is up: 1 Samuel chapter 15 (God Rejects Saul as King) verses 26-35.

Things discussed:

Saul is rejected as king (Part 3):

Why did Samuel tell Saul that he would not return anymore?
Why did God take the kingdom away from Saul?
Why is God called the "Strength of Israel"?
Saul doesn't admit the truth Samuel.
Will God forgive us if we don't really repent?
Why did Samuel help Saul?
How sin robs us of our relationship with God.
Samuel carries out God's will by killing King Agag.
Did Samuel end his relationship with Saul?
Samuel mourns for Saul.
Is it possible for God to repent if He knows everything?

It helped a lot, thanks.

Awesome. ^_^

Therefore, we learn that you simply cannot enter the Promised Land without both the Law and the Messiah. It's just beautiful to me how God ordained that to happen.

What do you think about the thief on the cross who entered Heaven without the preaching of the Law?

New apologetics lecture:

Cosmic Chemistry in Perth: Do Science and God mix?’ (Australia)

"Professor John Lennox delivers a keynote addressing the question "Do science and God mix?" and then engages in discussion with moderator Professor Carmen Lawrence. Questions from the audience are addressed. This event is intended for the skeptically minded, the scientifically curious and for the believer who likes to wrestle with questions of science and faith."

GA, could you give some clarity regarding tattoos in Christianity? Brownie points if it's Catholicism.

Is Leviticus 19:28 still applicable to today's society?

Chaplain

GA, could you give some clarity regarding tattoos in Christianity? Brownie points if it's Catholicism.

Is Leviticus 19:28 still applicable to today's society?

The New Testament mentions nothing about tattoos. I think it is important to remember that we were created in the image of God, with intrinsic value and worth. So, while the New Testament does not mention tattoos, the questions that I would want have answered are the following, "What is the underlying reason for my desire to have one? Is it rooted in pointing people to Christ or is something else going on that is lacking in my life that will address that void in my life?" I say this to say because our bodies still have the virus of sin and want to do things that draw attention to ourselves. There is usually an ulterior motive that is driving this type of desire for me wanting to have one (this is how the body works). So, it would be good to seek God first and foremost and see what He says about the subject.

Some background and application of Leviticus 19:28 from my blog.

Tattoos were also pagan practices God wanted Israel to separate from. The trimming of the hair, the beard, cutting, and tattoos were all connected with pagan rites of mourning. Part of this message to us today is that what our culture thinks and how they perceive things is important. If some clothing or jewelry or body decoration would associate us with the pagan world, it should not be done. This is a difficult line to draw, because the standards of culture are always changing. Some modern examples of changing standards are hair length and earrings for men.

Hope that helped.

Chaplain

New blog is up: 1 Samuel chapter 16 (God Chooses David as King) verses 1-10.

Things discussed:

Samuel anoints David as king (Part 1):

How long should we mourn for others?
God tells Samuel to go Jesse the Bethlehemite.
Why was Samuel scared that Saul would kill him?
Did God tell Samuel to lie?
God tells Samuel to go and anoint a new king over Israel.
Is the majority usually right when it comes to knowing whats best for a nation?
Why were the elders of Bethlehem scared of Samuel?
What is the difference between an animal sacrificed that atones for sin and as a peace offering?
Samuel makes the same mistake that Israel made in choosing a new king.
Why didn't God choose any of Jesse's older sons as Israel's new king?
Is it wrong to judge a man by their outward appearance?
God wants to help us love mankind the way He does.

Chaplain

New blog is up: 1 Samuel chapter 16 (God Chooses David as King) verses 11-13.

Things discussed:

Samuel anoints David as king (Part 2):

Samuel asks about an absent son.
How was David viewed by his family?
Why does God choose unlikely people for His service?
Why was David tending sheep?
What skills was God teaching David by protecting sheep?
What did David look like?
Why did God choose David as king over all others?
How can we be people after God's own heart?
Who taught David about God?
Why was David anointed as king in secret?
How could David be king if Saul was still on the throne of Israel?
Are there any similarities between Jesus/Satan and David/Saul?
Why does God want specific prayers against Satan when praying for the lost?
Why do people reject Jesus?
Why was David anointed with oil?
Samuel leaves David in God's hands.
Why is David one of the greatest men in the Bible?

Chaplain

Are you assuming here, or is there proof that he entered Heaven without the preaching of the Law?

We do know that Jesus told him that he would enter Paradise.

"Paradise (paradeisos), a Persian word meaning 'garden, park,' was used in the Septuagint for the Garden of Eden (Genesis 2:8). It then became a type of the future bliss for God's people in Isaiah 51:3…In the present passage is represents the state of bliss which Jesus promised to the criminal directly after death." (Pate)

We also know that the Holy Spirit uses the Law to point people to Jesus and the Gospel to be saved and/or just the Gospel to save a person:

"but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name." (John 20:31)

The stories, miracles, works Jesus did were written for all mankind that any person might believe in this historical testimony (evidence), be born again, walk with God and be assured of eternal life.

Chaplain

Can't believe that I'm just now finding this thread. Great conversations happening here.

Welcome brother. ^_^

New blog is up: 1 Samuel chapter 16 (God Chooses David as King) verses 14-23.

Things discussed:

Saul's distressing/evil spirit:

Was Saul lost when the Holy Spirit left him?.
Why did God allow an evil spirit to trouble Saul?
Can God remove His protection from our lives?
Does Satan serve God?
Can there be freewill without good and evil?
What does it mean to be given over to our sin?
Can we repent if we have been handed over to our sin?
How would Saul's evil spirit be diagnosed in our modern age?
Why do Saul's servants see what Saul doesn't see?
Saul's servants suggest bringing in a worship leader to deal with the evil spirit.
David is nominated to be Saul's worship leader.
Worship ministry foundational basics taken from David's life and character.
David enters Saul's court by trusting God to lead the way.
Saul and David's relationship begins.
David begins his training to be Israel's king.
Can worshiping God help with depression or oppression?

"John Lennox and Peter Ulric Tse discuss science and faith at the 2014 Veritas Forum at Dartmouth College."

Making Sense of the Universe - John Lennox and Peter Ulric Tse at Dartmouth

Peter Ulric Tse is Professor of Cognitive Neuroscience in the Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences at Dartmouth College. He grew up in NYC and Long Island. In 1984 he graduated from Dartmouth College where he did a degree in physics, mathematics, and was a senior fellow in the philosophy of quantum mechanics. After graduating he worked as a math and science teacher for elementary school children in a village in Nepal as a Peace Corps volunteer. In 1987 he studied philosophy at the University of Konstanz, Germany, and then spent about five years working in Japan, mainly at Kobe Steel. He returned to the U.S. in early 1992 to begin his studies at Harvard in Psychology and formally enrolled in the Ph.D. program in the fall of 1993.

John Lennox is Professor of Mathematics at the University of Oxford, Fellow in Mathematics and the Philosophy of Science, and Pastoral Advisor at Green Templeton College, Oxford. He is also an Adjunct Lecturer at Wycliffe Hall, Oxford University and at the Oxford Centre for Christian Apologetics and is a Senior Fellow of the Trinity Forum. In addition, he teaches for the Oxford Strategic Leadership Programme at the Executive Education Centre, Said Business School, Oxford University.

Chaplain

A daily devotional that I read that I thought others would enjoy:

And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God. Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only. Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way? For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also. James 2:23–26

Arguing that faith without works is dead, the Book of James so incensed Martin Luther that the reformer called it ‘a veritable straw epistle that should be thrown into the Rhine River.’ Yet James proves that faith without works is dead by pointing to the example of Abraham. It’s not that Abraham was saved by taking Isaac up the mountain to sacrifice him in obedience to God. No, James says the work which saved Abraham took place years before that when he simply believed in God (verse 23).

When was Abraham declared to be righteous? As James quotes Genesis 15:6, we understand that Abraham was declared to be righteous when he simply believed God would do what He said He would do when He told Abraham He would make his descendants more numerable than the sands on the seashore. Interestingly, Paul would also point to Abraham as proof that man is justified by faith apart from works (Romans 4:3).

James and Paul are in full agreement because they both maintain that the moment Abraham simply believed God was the moment God imputed righteousness unto him.

It is not faith and works which saves a man. It is not faith or works. It is faith that works. All Abraham was doing on Mount Moriah was showing the reality of what had taken place in his life years earlier when he simply believed God.

If your faith is real, it will show itself. How? By obeying the Word of God and following the leading of the Lord even though you may not understand where it will lead. At the time, Abraham could not have understood the significance of what he had done on Mount Moriah. But this side of Calvary, we see it was a perfect picture of what God the Father would do in sending His Son to that same mountain to die for the sins of the world.

You know you’re truly born again when you find yourself obeying God. We’re not saved by obedience. But our obedience proves we’re saved, for true faith works.

Courson, J. (2003). A Day’s Journey: 365 Daily Meditations from the Word.

OuterLimits

Any recommendations on some good Christian fiction books out there? I really enjoy stuff from Frank Peretti like This Present Darkness, and Ted Dekker is a good author as well.

I must admit I need to get back to church. While I am a believer, it has been years since I have been to church.

Good posts by the way Game Analyst.

Chaplain

Any recommendations on some good Christian fiction books out there? I really enjoy stuff from Frank Peretti like This Present Darkness, and Ted Dekker is a good author as well.

Two books that I have read and recommend: The Screwtape Letters and The Great Divorce.

I must admit I need to get back to church. While I am a believer, it has been years since I have been to church.

I just wanted to pass on to you some Biblical resources that will help you in your walk with God while He leads you to the church that He wants you to go to.

Answers to important questions.
Through the Bible Verse-by-Verse Studies
Apologetics - How to Answer Tricky Questions Lectures

Right Click/Save As:

9/6/2014 The Reliability of Scripture (Simple Truths Conference)
9/6/2014 Agnostic Deception (Simple Truths Conference)
9/6/2014 Church Fathers (Simple Truths Conference)
9/6/2014 Ancient Manuscripts (Simple Truths Conference)

Good posts by the way Game Analyst.

Ty

Chaplain

New blog is up: 1 Samuel chapter 17 (David and Goliath) verses 1-11.

Things discussed:

Goliath challenges Israel:

The Philistines gather at the Valley of Elah to challenge Israel.
Historical background on the Philistine Goliath.
What was Goliath's purpose in challenging Israel?
Why was Saul fearful of Goliath?

Here are some new lectures from a recent Apologetics Conference from last month and two random lectures:

John Lennox: Sharing Hope (#1)
John Lennox: Sharing Hope (#2)
John Lennox: Sharing Hope (#3)
John Lennox: Sharing Hope Q&A (#1)
John Lennox: Sharing Hope Q&A (#2)
John Lennox: Where Was God In Japan?
John Lennox: Big Questions Discussed About Exodus

John Lennox is Professor of Mathematics at the University of Oxford, Fellow in Mathematics and the Philosophy of Science, and Pastoral Advisor at Green Templeton College, Oxford. He is also an Adjunct Lecturer at Wycliffe Hall, Oxford University and at the Oxford Centre for Christian Apologetics and is a Senior Fellow of the Trinity Forum. In addition, he teaches for the Oxford Strategic Leadership Programme at the Executive Education Centre, Said Business School, Oxford University.

GA, I read your blog post on Leviticus.

Are you perchance a theologian? Your analysis of Scripture is astute.

After giving it some thought, is paganism such a problem in modern society today? I can't find a concise answer and it becomes very confusing that the Latin root of Pagan was associated with "yokel" or "villager" in Roman jargon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paganism

Defining it is also confusing:

Defining paganism is problematic. Understanding the context of its associated terminology is important.[23] Early Christians referred to the diverse array of cults around them as a single group for convenience and rhetoric.[24] While paganism generally implies polytheism, the primary distinction between classical pagans and Christians was not one of monotheism versus polytheism. Not all pagans were strictly polytheist. Throughout history, many of them believed in a supreme deity. (Although, most such pagans believed in a class of subordinate gods/daimons—see henotheism—or divine emanations.)[25] To Christians, the most important distinction was whether or not someone worshipped the one true God. Those who did not (polytheist, monotheist, atheist, or otherwise) were outsiders to the Church and thus pagan.[26] Similarly, classical pagans would have found it peculiar to distinguish groups by the number of deities followers venerate. They would have considered the priestly colleges (such as the College of Pontiffs or Epulones) and cult practices more meaningful distinctions.[27]

The term "pagan" is not attested in the English language until the 17th century.[19] In addition to infidel and heretic, it was used as one of several pejorative Christian counterparts to gentile (גוי / נכרי) as used in Judaism and to kafir (كافر, unbeliever) and mushrik (مشرك, idolater) as in Islam.[20]

I grew up in a Roman Catholic household that was more secular than devout. My parents were lukewarm Catholics. Their opinions on it basically are "If you look like a thug/hoodlum, you can't have one" so asking them about it wouldn't give me a clear answer.

I should just ask one of the brothers from my Parochial school.

Chaplain

GA, I read your blog post on Leviticus.

Are you perchance a theologian? Your analysis of Scripture is astute.

After giving it some thought, is paganism such a problem in modern society today? I can't find a concise answer and it becomes very confusing that the Latin root of Pagan was associated with "yokel" or "villager" in Roman jargon.

Defining it is also confusing:

I grew up in a Roman Catholic household that was more secular than devout. My parents were lukewarm Catholics. Their opinions on it basically are "If you look like a thug/hoodlum, you can't have one" so asking them about it wouldn't give me a clear answer.

I should just ask one of the brothers from my Parochial school.

I love God's Word, teaching and sharing it, and defending God's Gospel (the study of Apologetics).

Paganism (see "polytheism, pantheism, animism, mysticism, nature worship, the promotion of sensuality, reincarnation, and necromancy") is rampant in our western society now, but this is nothing new. Jesus even rebuked one of the seven churches in the book of Revelation because paganism was being mixed in with the teaching of God's word. Presently, paganism is merging with church teaching through Emergent Church doctrines.

I recommend listening to these lectures that deal with the very issue of paganism in the church (historically and presently).

New blog is up: 1 Samuel chapter 17 (David and Goliath) verses 12-30.

Things discussed:

David comes to the camp of Israel:

Historical facts about King David's life.
Why does God call David His firstborn son?.
Was Jesus created?.
What is the significance of Goliath taunting and mocking Israel for 40 days?
David brings gifts from home and comes into Israel's camp.
The fear of Israel's soldiers towards Goliath.
Saul's offers a reward (bribe) to the man who beats Goliath.
What did Jesus gain by defeating Satan?
David teaches us how to deal with problems like Goliath.
Why did David's brother Eliab falsely accuse him?
David shows us how to deal with slander.

Chaplain

New blog is up: 1 Samuel chapter 17 (David and Goliath) verses 31-40.

Things discussed:

David prepares to fight Goliath:

David's extreme confidence in God's ability to beat Goliath.
Saul continues to look at life from a naturalistic worldview.
How did God use David's training as a shepherd to prepare him for Goliath?
David shows us the benefits of having a Godly perspective.
Saul continues to see Goliath through man's eyes.
Why did David take five stones to fight Goliath?
David models for us Biblical Faith that Works.

Ravi Zacharias gives an excellent rebuttal to those who say they do not need God.

Ravi Zacharias: Need God, What If I Don't?

"Why do I need God if my life is going well? I've always solved my own problems, so what can God really do for me? God has never seemed near to me during the difficulties in my life, so why should I trust Him?" Ravi Zacharias explains why God is more than a psychological crutch for the weak-minded and why success and independent living fade in comparison to knowing the eternal truth found in God."

I think Chesterton has the explanation you're looking for.

http://www.worldinvisible.com/library/chesterton/everlasting/content.htm

The reason the root of the word pagan means "peasant" is that country folk were the longest to hold to the "old religions" in the ancient world. The city folk were the first and quickest to be baptized. "Peasant" aka "pagan" became a short hand to refer to what was then "traditional religion."

Yes, paganism is problem in modern society. If you read Game Analyst's blog, you can see where old Astarte/Ishtar/Aphrodite worship plagues modern life in the form of pornography and general sex-worship, for example.

Two books that I have read and recommend: The Screwtape Letters and The Great Divorce.

Lewis's best fiction is "The Space Trilogy," in my opinion.

Edit: from today's blog

1. You are not able . . . you are but a youth: Saul thought David was disqualified because of his age, size, and inexperience. This shows that Saul looked at the battle purely in natural, outward terms. The outward "tale of the tape" said there was no way David could win. The "tale of God's tape" said there was no way David could lose.

Perelandra, book two of the "Space Trilogy" has an example of this when Ransom fights Watson, who is possessed by the Enemy.

Those books sound great. I'll be picking them up real soon.

Chaplain

Lewis's best fiction is "The Space Trilogy," in my opinion.

I will buy it in the next few weeks. Ty for the suggestion.

Those books sound great. I'll be picking them up real soon.

Your welcome.

New blog is up: 1 Samuel chapter 17 (David and Goliath) verses 41-58.

Things discussed:

David defeats Goliath:

Goliath curses David and his God.
Why did Goliath feel fighting David insulted his manhood?
David models for us being conscious that God is always with us.
David's faith grows the more he trusts God.
Does God uses conventional ways to help us?
What is the best way to fight Satan?
What motivated David to want to take down Goliath?
A solution to a problem many Christians face.
David kills Goliath.
David beheads Goliath and Israel romps over the Philistines.
Did Saul not know who David was?
What parallels are there between David's and Jesus' lives?

Michael Green (from Ravi's crew) discusses how to discuss sin in modern culture.

Michael Green - How Can We Preach Sin in Today's Culture?

"Preaching sin in today’s culture is hard to do. Few aspects of the Christian message are so unacceptable in today’s society. Of course, our Gospel is not so much about human wickedness and failure as about God’s love. The bright side of the coin is what God is. But what we are is the dark side of the coin and this has to be recognized. The human predicament is not the first point to make, but it must be made all the same."

My church just held our Men's Bible Conference. Here are the direct links to the studies given over three days:

(Right Click/Save As)

11/9/2014 Men Who Serve (Malachi 3:16) Pastor Tony Scotti
11/9/2014 Devotions Daryl Dittebrand
11/8/2014 Men Who Lead (Exodus 18:21) Pastor Henry Duran
11/8/2014 Men Who Pray (2 Chronicles 6:31) Pastor Fernando Gonzalez
11/8/2014 Men Who Learn (Deuteronomy 4:10) Pastor Xavier Ries
11/8/2014 Devotions Pastor Sam Tirado
11/7/2014 Men of Obedience (1 Samuel 12:14) Pastor Diego Festa

Videos from Dr. William Lane Craig on the cause of the Universe:

Why Must the Cause of the Universe Be Personal and Not Impersonal?
How Could One Argue that the Universe Didn't Have A Cause?

In 2011 Dr William Lane Craig spoke at the Forum of Christian Leaders (FOCL) in Hungary. While they he spoke on the topic, "Five Arguments for Theism" and took questions from the audience to accompany his lecture. This video is from an interview in which Dr Craig addresses different questions.

Yes, paganism is problem in modern society. If you read Game Analyst's blog, you can see where old Astarte/Ishtar/Aphrodite worship plagues modern life in the form of pornography and general sex-worship, for example.

Yeah. Free porn on the internet attributes significantly to the problem.

Is there any clarification regarding tattoos though?

Chaplain

Is there any clarification regarding tattoos though?

Like previously mentioned, the NT is silent on this. I encourage you to do the following:

"If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking." James 1:5

Just ask God and He will let you know what He wants for you. He has your cell, email, and other ways of letting you know what He wants for you in this area of your life. ^_~

New blog is up: 1 Samuel chapter 18 (Conflict Between Saul and David) verses 1-9.

Things discussed:

David, Jonathan, and Saul:

Why were David and Jonathan such good friends?
Did David and Jonathan have a homosexual relationship?
How did Jonathan know God's hand was upon David's life?
Why did Jonathan give his royal regalia to David?
Are we willing to get off the throne of our lives?
Christian's and their employers, David becomes a general in his early twenties.
Why did David become so popular in Israel?
What was the number one song in Israel?
Why did David not become corrupt by his new found popularity?
Why did Saul become jealous of David?
What happens to a person when they have a guilty conscience?
How to get rid of a guilty conscience.

New lecture with Q/A from John Lennox:

John Lennox: Do Science And God Mix?

"This is a question of ‘cosmic chemistry.’ Do science and God mix? It has become accepted wisdom that science and religion represent two incompatible ways of viewing the world. John Lennox tackles all these beliefs head on for the annual Smith Lecture at the Sydney Town Hall. This is followed by a conversation with the ABC’s Jane Hutcheon."

Chaplain

Anyone have some thoughts to offer on paedobaptism?

There are two views regarding infant baptism.

View 1

Baptizing infants has been practiced for a very long time in Christianity. Within the scope of this practice are denominations that insist that the baptism itself brings the infant into a salvation relationship with God. Baptism is a sign, a covenant sign, of identification with the Christian gospel (Baptism does not save anyone). On the other hand, there are denominations (usually Presbyterian) that baptize infants not for the purpose of saving them but for covenantal relationship. The logic used by these groups is basically as follows: 1) infants were circumcised and entered into covenant relationship with God in the Old Testament (Gen.12-17) 2); circumcision did not save the child; 3) the Abrahamic covenant under which the infants were circumcised is still valid since the Abrahamic Covenant is called the gospel in Gal. 3:8; 4) the Abrahamic covenant, which is still valid and which is the gospel, included infants; and, therefore, infants should still be included in the same covenant; 5) we see evidence of whole households being baptized in Acts (Acts 16:15). Therefore, at least some of these households had to include infants, and a good Jewish convert to Christianity would not exclude his infant children from covenantal relationship with God.

View 2

In contradiction to this, those who are opposed to infant baptism usually mention the fact that there are no explicit instances of infants being baptized in the New Testament, but the dedication of babies (1 Samuel 1:28) is found in scripture. The dedication of babies is more or less following this same pattern of Hannah. We've asked God to bless, to give us children, recognizing that these children are gifts from God, we bring them back to God and say "God, you have given us this child, but we want to give this child to You, for Your purposes that the child might serve You all the days of their life. That Your purposes and Your will might be accomplished within the child." So the dedication of our babies unto the Lord.

Now I do not know of any scriptural basis for baptizing babies. I do not know of a single scriptural proof for the baptism of babies. I really believe that baptism is more the act of a conscious adult. There are two scriptures really that deal with baptism. The one is, "Repent and be baptized". Now I have yet to meet one of these little babies that has repented. In Mark's gospel it says, "He that believeth and is baptized," and they really don't have enough intelligence yet to believe.

Now it doesn't mean that the child would be lost if it dies. I believe that a child within a Christian home is saved if it dies before an age of accountability. I believe that I Corinthians, the second chapter teaches this. That, "The believing wife, or husband, either of them being a believer, the child is covered by the believing parents, else would your children be unclean. But now," Paul said, "they are holy." So the faith of a believing parent covers for that child. You say, "But what about an unbelieving parent?" That I don't know, the Bible is silent. I must be silent.

You say, "But would it be fair," well, God will do whatever's fair. But the Bible doesn't say specifically, I can't say specifically. I believe that God will be fair. I'm sure that He'll be fair. I know He'll be fair and I rest my case there in the righteousness and the fairness of God. God will be absolutely fair in all His judgments. There's not one person gonna get a bad deal before the judgment bar of God. There's not one person's gonna be a walk away, gonna be able to walk away and say, "That isn't fair". God will deal justly with every case and every extenuation in each case. The justice of God is something that I am absolutely convinced of. The absolute righteousness of the judgments of God.

The justice of man is something I have little belief in. I cry with the crowd, "There ain't no justice," but that's only speaking from a human standpoint. But from the divine standpoint the absolute righteousness of the judgment of God is something that I have no question about whatsoever. Thus, I'm not really worried about those people that have never heard of Jesus Christ or the babies who die, or whatever. I know that God is gonna be absolutely righteous and fair in His judgments. So I just rest it there. But babies can be scripturally, can be dedicated or presented to God.

Now in the New Testament when Jesus was born, they came and offered the sacrifices for the firstborn child and they presented Him unto the Lord. The priests lifted Him up in his hands and blessed Him, and said, "Now Lord let thy servant die in peace for You've allowed me to see Your salvation." But again the idea of, "Here's my child Lord. I present it to You that You might use this life for whatever purposes, that Your influences might come upon this child and lead and guide him as he grows, and develops. And Lord, I give him back to You all the days of his life." I think that it's a marvelous gesture on the part of a parent. We dedicated all of our children to the Lord, actually between us dedicated them to the Lord before they were ever born.

Now it is true that when they're old enough they've got to make their own commitments, and their own decisions. The fact that we dedicated them to the Lord doesn't follow that they are going to consent to that dedication when they get old enough to do what they want. But hopefully by that time we will have given enough spiritual input and all that when they are older, they will not depart from that faith that they have gained while growing up under our tutorage. So it is more than just dedicating; there is a responsibility as parents to train up the child, or to catechize the child in the ways of the Lord. To teach them, to instruct them in the ways of the Lord, so that as they grow older these will be things that have been planted in their hearts and minds deeply, become a very part of their very thinking processes.

legend166

Anyone have some thoughts to offer on paedobaptism?

I myself hold to the doctrine of believer's baptism on this. Which actually seems fairly uncommon in Reformed circles (I think there are more Reformed Presbyterians than Reformed Baptists). It's one of those things where I look at the other side with confusion and think "wait, how do they get to that point?" but as long as they realise the act of baptism isn't actually going to save an infant than I don't see it as a major theological issue.

Chaplain

New blog is up: 1 Samuel chapter 18 (Conflict Between Saul and David) verse 10.

Things discussed:

Saul's first attempt to kill David (Part 1):

Why did God allow an evil spirit to mess with Saul again?
How do we resist Satan?
How do we stop thoughts in our mind's that effect our attitudes?
Why would an evil spirit make Saul prophesy?
Contrasting Saul and David's attitudes.

A lecture on Art and the Gospel:

Making Sense: Art and the Gospel - Mark Sprinkle

In collaboration with the Billy Graham Center Museum, Ravi Zacharias International Ministries presents a keynote lecture from the 2014 Summer Institute at Wheaton College.

Chaplain

New blog is up: 1 Samuel chapter 18 (Conflict Between Saul and David) verse 11.

Things discussed:

Saul's first attempt to kill David (Part 2):

Why did Saul throw a spear at David and attempt to kill him?
Why did David not retaliate against Saul?
What can we learn from David's example?
David continues to put into practice his Faith and Trust in God.

A sermon from yesterday on 1 John 1.

John's Witness - 1 John 1 (11/23/2014)

Things discussed:

John begins with the center of relationship: Jesus Christ.
An invitation to a relationship with God.
The result/evidence of a true relationship with God.
Sin and the nature of God.
God's sinlessness and the true condition of our relationship with Him if we willfully practice sin.
The blessing of walking in the light.
The presence of sin, the confession of sin, and the cleansing from sin.

Chaplain

New blog is up: 1 Samuel chapter 18 (Conflict Between Saul and David) verse 12-19.

Things discussed:

Saul's first attempt to kill David (Part 3):

Why was King Saul afraid of David?
What can happen when we allow jealousy to fill our hearts?
What happens when God is first in our lives?
Why did Saul offer David his daughter in marriage if he hated him?
Saul intends to kill David by manipulating him.
David's agrees to marry Michal.
Saul tries another way of manipulating David.

A answer to the question, "Are morals relative?"

Why are you so afraid of subjective moral reasoning?

G.A., thanks for all that you do to keep this community on the straight and narrow. We don't often post much, but I read a lot of what you link here and I'm sure the others do as well. God bless you, brother.

Chaplain

G.A., thanks for all that you do to keep this community on the straight and narrow. We don't often post much, but I read a lot of what you link here and I'm sure the others do as well. God bless you, brother.

Ty bro. I need to hear that this morning. My wife is disabled, got an infection in her PICC line which has been causing her fevers up to 103.7, and we are now off to Cedars Hospital to have her PICC line removed. Your words, as well as the words of the unspoken in this thread, are a great encouragement to me. ^_^

New blog is up: 1 Samuel chapter 18 (Conflict Between Saul and David) verse 20-29.

Things discussed:

Saul sets a trap for David but he escapes and is blessed:

Is loving a person and their heart the same thing?
What does it mean that Michal was a snare to David?
What was Saul's goal in manipulating David again?
David fulfills Saul's crazy request for a dowry and marries Michal.
Saul pushes away from God as he saw God in David's life.
What happens when we push away our godly friends out of our lives?
Why did Davids Popularity keep growing?
What does God want for each of our lives?

A good series that takes place on Universities campuses between students and one Pastor:

Give Me an Answer - #0714 - Does Life Come From Non-Life?

Chaplain

New blog is up: 1 Samuel chapter 19 (David Flees from Saul) verse 1-3.

Things discussed:

Jonathan defends David before his father Saul (Part 1):

Introduction to 1 Samuel 19: How are Saul and David a type of Satan and Jesus?
Saul's sin of jealousy leads him to plot the murder of David.
Should we sin if it leads to disobeying God.
What about when authorities tell us to sin?
Jonathan warns David of his dad's plan of murder.

Chaplain

New blog is up: 1 Samuel chapter 19 (David Flees from Saul) verse 4-10.

Things discussed:

Jonathan defends David before his father Saul (Part 2):

Jonathan confronts his father over his plan to murder David.
What does a real friend look like?
Two views on why Saul didn't want to murder David anymore.
Are there any similarities between Jonathan and Jesus?
How is Jesus our defense lawyer?
What does it mean that we are all in spiritual warfare?
Saul has another encounter with an evil spirit.
Does Satan have a spiritual army that attacks humanity?
Saul chooses to allow sin to remain in his heart.
Saul teaches us why God wants us to constantly confess our sin to Him.
David escapes another attempt on His life.

A short video that answers a question that applies to all of us.

Michael Ramsden at UCLA: Why Don't We See Christians Living an Abundant Life?

Chaplain

New blog is up: 1 Samuel chapter 19 (David Flees from Saul) verse 11-17.

Things discussed:

David flees from Saul:

Saul breaks his word again.
What does having too take an oath say about our character?
David escapes with the help from his wife Michal.
What song did David compose as he escaped from Saul's attempt at murder?
Can we stop God from defending us?
What is a teraphim?
Why did Michal have a idol in her house?
What does having an idol say about a person's relationship with God?
Saul doesn't fall for his daughter's deception.
Why was David Saul's enemy?

A sermon from Sunday morning on Luke 17:1-10 :

Jesus teaches, "Essential Truths For Disciples"

Things discussed:

(1-2) The danger of stumbling another.
a. Jesus warns believers of the consequences of leading others believer into sin: sin that makes a believer walk back into the world.
b. Sin that turns believers away from the Gospel.

(3-4) If someone stumbles you, deal with it and forgive them.
a. We are to confront those who sin against us, tell them that they have sinned, so that they can repent and receive forgiveness.
b. Confronting others, which leads to repentance, will always lead to true reconciliation (agreeing that wrong was done and never speaking about it again).
c. It is our duty to forgive when someone repents.

(5-6) Great faith is needed to get along with people like this.
a. Forgiving others is only done with God's help.
b. Depending on Jesus for this help. Jesus will direct us, we trust Him, and He will help us in doing what He asked us to do.

(7-10) We can’t put God into debt to us; anything we do for Him is small repayment for His work in our life.
a. Jesus gives a three rhetorical questions.
b. Jesus uses slavery as an illustration of a modern social problem at the time.
c. Serving others is what God has called each of us to do. Jesus modeled this for us.
d. Love does not demand praise or thanks, but always gives of itself because love is self giving.

An interesting short video on homosexuality and addiction:

Michael Ramsden on, "Should we accept homosexual marriage?"

Chaplain

New blog is up: 1 Samuel chapter 19 (David Flees from Saul) verse 19-24.

Things discussed:

David, pursued by Saul, flees to Naioth.

David visits Samuel at the city of Ramah.
What is a wise thing to do in difficult situations?
Does Satan have a work ethic?
Saul's messengers walk into a worship service.
What does it mean that prophets were prophesying?
What message was the Holy Spirit sending to Saul by having his men prophesy?
Saul pursues David despite the Holy Spirit's warnings.
The Holy Spirit protects David from Saul again.
What is the Holy Spirit telling Saul by coming upon him?
What does running away from Saul say about David's faith?
Why does the Holy Spirit humble Saul by having him strip of his undergarments?
Does experiencing God's power mean we have surrendered to Him?

A great debate between Peter Singer vs John Lennox on "Is There a God?"

Ethics professor Peter Singer is a person all Christians should get to know. Why? We all hear that Science is going to determine or will be determining human ethics for culture and society. Well, this is the person where most of the ideas are coming from. What does he believe?

• "We can no longer base our ethics on the idea that human beings are a special form of creation, made in the image of God, singled out from all other animals, and alone possessing an immortal soul," he argues. "Our better understanding of our own nature has bridged the gulf that was once thought to lie between ourselves and other species, so why should we believe that the mere fact that a being is a member of the species Homo sapiens, endows its life with some unique, almost infinite, value?" (Peter Singer)

• "Human babies are not born self-aware, or capable of grasping that they exist over time. They are not persons, therefore the life of a newborn is of less value than the life of a pig, a dog, or a chimpanzee." (Peter Singer)

His ethics are based on an evolutionary worldview that believes the following about morals:

• "The time has come to take seriously the fact that we humans are modified monkeys, not the favored Creation of a Benevolent God on the Sixth Day. In particular, we must recognize our biological past in trying to understand our interactions with others. We must think again especially about our so-called 'ethical principles'. The question is not whether biology- specifically, our evolution-is connected with ethics, but how. As evolutionists, we see that no justification of the traditional kind is possible. Morality, or more strictly our belief in morality, is merely an adaptation put in place to further our reproductive ends. Hence, the basis of ethics does not lie in God's will ...In an important sense, ethics as we understand it is an illusion fobbed off on us by our genes to get us to cooperate. It is without external grounding... Ethics is illusory inasmuch as it persuades us that it has an objective reference. This is the crux of the biological position. Once it is grasped, everything falls into place." (Michael Ruse and E. O. Wilson)

Anyways, here are the links to the debate.

Highlights Video
Watch Debate
Download/listen to audio [64 Mb]
Download video (mp4) [394 Mb]

While the event stayed polite and peaceful there were some heavy intellectual punches thrown. Singer cites the Roman Catholic Church and its policy on condoms and the resulting loss of lives from AIDS as a good reason not to believe in God ... while Lennox says Communist Russia proved that being deliberately godless can be just as disastrous Specifically the God of the bible.

Peter Singer is Ira W DeCamp Professor of Bioethics in the University Center for Human Values at Princeton University and laureate professor at the Centre for Applied Philosophy and Public Ethics at the University of Melbourne. He first became well-known internationally after the publication of “Animal Liberation”. His extremely controversial views on animal rights and other issues in bioethics have received much attention over many years. Singer’s other books include “Democracy and Disobedience”, “Practical Ethics”, “The Expanding Circle, Should the Baby Live?”, “How Are We to Live?, Rethinking Life and Death”, “Ethics into Action: How Ethical is Australia?”, “The Way We Eat” and “The Life You Can Save”.

John Lennox is Professor in Mathematics at the University of Oxford and Fellow in Mathematics and Philosophy of Science at Green Templeton College, University of Oxford. Possessing doctorates from Oxford, Cambridge, and the University of Wales, he travels widely speaking on the interface between science and religion. Lennox has debated atheists ranging from Victor Stenger to Richard Dawkins and is the author of “God's Undertaker: Has Science Buried God?”

What do you guys think of the two "twin" parables? The Parable of the Found Treasure and The Parable of the Pearl of Great Price? Interpretations, thoughts, commentary, and remarks all encouraged and welcome. I'm trying to see how my view of it stacks up.

It is much appreciated from me as well. I'm not a devout Catholic, but anyone that is devout I have respect for.

Chaplain

New blog is up: 1 Samuel chapter 20 (Jonathan's Final Attempt to Reconcile His Father and David) verse 1-11.

Things discussed:

David, coming from Naioth, meets Jonathan.

Why did David flee from Naioth?
David asks Jonathan about Saul's intentions towards him.
What is one of the purposes of hard times?
Jonathan promises his help to David, Can God's plans be stopped?
Why was David discouraged?
What is it like to live everyday with the consciousness of death?
Why does expecting Jesus keep us pure?
David proposes to test Saul's attitude toward him.
What were new moon festivals?
Why did David ask Jonathan to kill him?
What is the best way to deal with stress that causes paranoia?

Here are some new University lectures:

Is Justice Possible? David Skeel, Rogers Smith & Robert Ghrist at Penn

The 2014 Veritas Forum at the University of Pennsylvania welcomed David Skeel, Rogers Smith and Robert Ghrist to engage in a professional and personal conversation on law, politics, worldview and religion.

Living Well in the Light of Death - NT Wright and Shelly Kagan at Yale

Join us at The Veritas Forum at Yale University as NT Wright and Shelly Kagan discuss two views on life - before (and after?) the inevitable.

Is Science Enough? S. Joshua Swamidass and Jeff Scholes at UCCS

Washington University professor, S. Joshua Swamidass, and University of Colorado, Colorado Springs professor, Jeff Scholes, discuss faith, facts, and fundamental truths.

The Bible - Who Cares? Molly Worthen asks NT Wright questions about scripture and culture

In the Valley of the Shadow - Warren Kinghorn and Kelly Crace at William and Mary

Duke's Warren Kinghorn and William & Mary Associate Vice President for Health and Wellness Kelly Crace discuss caring for anxiety and depression at The Veritas Forum at William and Mary, 2014.

Genes, Atoms or Something Else? Praveen Sethupathy and Roald Hoffmann at Cornell

Praveen Sethupathy, UNC, and Roald Hoffmann, Cornell, discuss genetics, chemistry, and questions of faith at The Veritas Forum at Cornell, 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom