• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christianity |OT| The official thread of hope, faith and infinite love.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaplain

New blog is up: 1 Samuel chapter 20 (Jonathan's Final Attempt to Reconcile His Father and David) verse 12-23.

Things discussed:

Jonathan's agreement with David.

Jonathan's character is revealed in how he helps David.
What does it mean to put the needs of the other ahead of your own?
How to make sure God directs us.

A new sermon from yesterday morning on the Rapture:

"What About the Rapture?" (12/7/2014)

Things discussed:

Who invented the Rapture?
Is the Rapture a recent doctrine?
What did the early church fathers say about the Rapture?
Did Jesus talk about the Rapture?
What is the Great Tribulation?
What is the Great White Throne Judgment of God?
What are the historical four different viewpoints of the Rapture?

1. There is the teaching that is called “mid-tribulation”, which teaches that the church will be removed from the earth three and a half years after the seven year tribulation begins.
2. There is the teaching called “post-tribulation”, which teaches that the church will be removed from the earth at the end of the seven years of the tribulation and great tribulation.
3. There is the teaching that appeared in the nineties called “pre-wrath rapture” by Marvin Rosenthal, that has only added to the confusion, teaching that the church will be removed three quarters through the seven year tribulation.
4. There is the teaching called “pre-tribulation”, which teaches. that the church will be removed from the earth prior to the seven years of the tribulation.

(Taken from another post I made on GAF many months ago)

What is the evidence for the pre-tribulation?
Is Replacement Theology (the Church is now Israel) Biblical?
What is the reason that God removes the Church from Earth?
What is the time of the Gentiles?
Why does Jesus judge each nation when He returns?
What does the word harpazo have to do with the Rapture?
Can doctrine be taught from Parables?
Why do Enoch and Elijah parallel the church?
What is Kingdom/Dominion Theology?
Why did the disciples believe Jesus wasn't going to die on the cross?

Rambling thoughts from yours truly:

The Lukewarm Church [Revelation 3:14-22] (NKJV)

14 “And to the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write,

‘These things says the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God: 15 “I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. 16 So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth. 17 Because you say, ‘I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing’—and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked— 18 I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see. 19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent. 20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. 21 To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.

22 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”’”

First off, what's striking to me, is how the church of Laodicea receives no commendation from the Lord or the angel of the Lord or the Amen (Jesus Christ).

This is a church or a people thriving economically, feeling no need for outside support. In 60 AD, the region was decimated by a huge earthquake and Laodecia was one of the few cities to rebuild with no outside help.

3:15-16 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

I mean, does it get any more scathing than that?

You're not cold. (this can mean one of several things; the way I understand it is that you have not been introduced to the grace of Christ. When you are cold, you are like the people who never had the opportunity to hear about the gospel.),

You're not hot. (you're not spiritually on fire. You're not poor of spirit [you're not constantly acknowledging that you need more of God]. You're not consistently looking to the Lord for your daily provisions, but rather relying on your own strength and understanding. You don't minister. You do nothing to expand the kingdom of God.)

You're lukewarm. (You're complacent. You're content. You look the other way when heretical actions are being committed by the "believers" just to keep a crowd. When someone misses service, you hardly notice and never call to see if they're doing ok.)

Does anyone else see a striking resemblance to churches and megachurches here in the states? People who just go through the motions. People who aren't being filled and overflowing. People who only join in the prayer circle when they have a need or desire in their heart. People who don't love one another. People who run away from church because someone "gave them a dirty look." People who say "nobody is amicable or friendly with me."

I guarantee you that if you were amicable, people would be more amicable towards you.

I guarantee you that if you pray for others, others will pray for you.

I guarantee you that if you put your trust in the Lord, He will provide.

But like Meschach, Shedrach, and Abed-Nego said [Daniel 3:17-18]: If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to deliver us from it, and he will deliver us from Your Majesty’s hand. But even if he does not, we want you to know, Your Majesty, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up.”

What say you, brothers and sisters? Do you see lukewarmness all around you and even inside of yourself? I know that I'm barely even lighting the match on my personal walk with Christ. And I'm thankful that He has afforded me the opportunity to realize it and humble myself.

Let us be like the church in Philadelphia:

•A Church which possesses gifts of the Spirit and also demonstrates the fruit of the Spirit.

•A Church with open doors and which opens doors.

•A humble Church, desiring more of God each and every day.

•A Church which keeps true to the full Gospel of Christ. It's not about what I've done, but what He's done for me.

•A Church which does not deny the name of the Lord Jesus Christ.

•A Church which is obviously and recognisably blessed.

•A Church expecting the second coming.

Amen.

Chaplain

What do you guys think of the two "twin" parables? The Parable of the Found Treasure and The Parable of the Pearl of Great Price? Interpretations, thoughts, commentary, and remarks all encouraged and welcome. I'm trying to see how my view of it stacks up.

I did a blog post on both parables a few months ago. Thoughts and commentaries are included in the blog post.

Matthew 13:44-52 - The parable of the hidden treasure: What does the field and treasure represent in the parable of the hidden treasure?, The parable of the costly pearl: Who is the pearl and buyer of the pearl in the parable of the costly pearl?, The parable of the dragnet: What is the parable of the dragnet about?, The disciples claim to understand Jesus' parables, & Jesus tells his crew that they should be like scholars when it comes to understanding and teaching the Bible.

Hope that helps.

New blog is up: 1 Samuel chapter 20 (Jonathan's Final Attempt to Reconcile His Father and David) verse 24-42.

Things discussed:

Saul's settled hatred towards David.

What is ceremonial uncleanness?
Jonathan lies to his father Saul.
Saul is enraged when he learns of David's absence through Jonathan's lie.
Saul's first sin turns into multiple sins.
How do we put off evil and put on love?
Jonathan defends David from his father's slanderous attacks.
Did Jonathan put God and people above his own needs?
What does it mean to lay down our life for another?
Can small choices have huge consequences?
Was David walking according to God's will?
Why does God allow us to suffer?
Is there a purpose to suffering?

I think the following discussion with New Testament Scholar N.T. Wright at Duke University goes well with what I discussed at the end of my blog today on suffering.

Good God? A conversation with Professor N.T. Wright at Duke

NT Wright addresses reconciling a good God with a world filled with suffering at The Veritas Forum at Duke, 2014.

Chaplain

New blog is up: 1 Samuel chapter 21 (David at Nob and at Gath) verse 1-6.

Things discussed:

David meets Ahimelech the priest at Nob.

Why was Ahimelech the priest afraid of David when they met?
David lies multiple times to Ahimelech the priest.
Is it possible to escape the consequences of our sins?
What is the showbread?, What does the word showbread mean?
What do these 12 loaves of bread represent or symbolize?
Could non-priests eat the showbread?
Did the priest sin by giving David the temple holy bread?
Did Jesus violate the Sabbath by having His disciples pick wheat from a field?
Does Human need always have a higher priority than religious traditions or regulations?

Two Philosophers discuss evidence for God.

Keith Ward and Michael Ruse debate the evidence for God (12/13/2014)

Keith Ward is the former Regius Professor of Divinity at Oxford University. His new book The Evidence for God picks up on various aspects of human experience as proof of a spiritual realm.

He is joined by atheist philosopher Michael Ruse for a lively discussion. Ruse’s own recent book Atheism: What everyone needs to know sets out the case against belief.

Chaplain

What is the reason for the season?

The Time is Now - 12/14/2014

Questions to consider:

1. Do you find it difficult to wait for answers to prayer? What have you been praying for for a long time?

2. Have you been let down by other human beings who have failed to deliver on their promises to you? Have you allowed this to shape your perception of God and other people?

3. Have you thanked God for what He has done in your life recently? How could you get into a habit of thankfulness in your Christian life?

Three new Sunday Morning sermons from today.

Stream: Perspective and Practice - Proverbs 23:17-18 (12/14/2014)

Stream: Religion vs Reality - Philippians 3:1-9 (12/14/2014)

Download link: A Precious Cornerstone - Is 28:16-16 (12/14/2014)

Chaplain

The Reason for Christmas:

The Time Came: December 15, 2014

Questions to consider:

1. Do you identify at all with Zechariah and his loss of hope?

2. Looking back over your Christian life, what good has come out of waiting and persevering?

3. How might you be able to encourage other Christians and leaders in your church who may be struggling with cynicism?

Chaplain

New blog is up: 1 Samuel chapter 21 (David at Nob and at Gath) verse 7-15.

Things discussed:

David runs to the city of Gath.

Who is Doeg the Edomite?
David continues to lie to the priest.
How did David lose his confidence in God?
What spiritual weapons do we have available to us?
Why does David go to Israel's enemies for protection?
What lessons can we learn from David's example?
David learns what happens when we run to everyone other than God.
Why did David pretend to be insane in-front of the king?
What does the Bible say about letting fear consume us?
Does David ever write about his experience into madness?

The Time Came…: December 16

Questions to consider:

1. Have you ever felt forgotten by God? What does Elizabeth’s story say to you about this?

2. How can you be more open to the work of the Holy Spirit in your life?

3. What breakthroughs are you praying for in your own life and in the life of your church for the coming year?

Chaplain

The Time Came…: December 17

Questions to consider:

1. As we get ready for Christmas, remember that the One who came as a baby in Bethlehem is also the victorious Deliverer. What does this mean to you?

2. What does it mean to live in the light of the second coming of Christ? Does this make a difference to your priorities and decision-making?

The Time Came…: December 18

Questions to consider:

1. Do you take credit for successes in your life and ministry or do you point to Jesus?

2. Do you draw security from your usefulness to God or are you able to be ‘laid aside’ for Christ?

3. Are there people around you who you envy? How can you turn away from this?

Chaplain

New blog is up: 1 Samuel chapter 22 (David at the Adullam Cave, Saul Murders the Priests) verse 1-2.

Things discussed:

David at Adullam cave.

Why does David run away from his problems?
Why did David run into a cave to hide?
How does God help us mature in Christ?
How to be specific in our prayers in times of distress.
What are we to do in times of distress?
What about dealing with past mistakes?
What type of people come to Jesus?
What happens when a man of integrity leads others?
What happens when we hang with Jesus?
How does God call men to lead others? - Are there any steps to this process?
Are there any similarities between David and Jesus at this point in David's life?

The Time Came…: December 19

Questions to consider:

1. What might Mary and Joseph have felt in the moment of encounter with Simeon?

2. What is the dream of your life? Is there a fulfillment of a dream that might cause you to echo with Simeon the Nunc Dimittis?

3. Have you really grasped the truth that Jesus is the light to all the nations? Are there people in your life whom you have thought are somehow too far away for Jesus’ light to be relevant to them?

A new series by Professor John Lennox on Joseph's life.

Stream: Joseph: In the Context of the Big Story of Genesis
Download link: Joseph: In the Context of the Big Story of Genesis

This session puts Joseph's life in the context of the story of Genesis. The book of Genesis begins with the creation of the universe and ends with Joseph's family, the young nation of Israel, settling in Egypt. How does the life of Joseph fit into such a sprawling story? John Lennox investigates.

Stream: Joseph: Jacob's Family Disintegrates
Download: Joseph: Jacob's Family Disintegrates

Jacob was the patriarch of Israel, but he wasn't always a good parent. In fact, his preference for his wife Rachel led him to love Joseph more than all his other sons. Because of Jacob's favoritism, the sons ultimately turned on Joseph. Here, John Lennox discusses the dissolution of Jacob's family, particularly through the lens of his troubled and less-favored son, Reuben.

Stream: Joseph: The Training, Testing, and Rise of the Rejected Son
Download: Joseph: The Training, Testing, and Rise of the Rejected Son

Because of Jacob's unfairness and his brothers' deceit, Joseph eventually found himself trapped in Egypt as a slave. However, Joseph's work ethic eventually led to his rise to power -- even though he was seriously tempted to abandon his integrity along the way. John Lennox shows how we can learn from Joseph's trials to show the same integrity, perseverance, and fortitude in our own lives.

Stream: Joseph: The Use of Power
Download: Joseph: The Use of Power

When Joseph's brothers came to him in a desperate search for food, Joseph had an incredible and unlikely opportunity to avenge his previous mistreatment. However, Joseph's conduct in such a painful situation eventually led to the restoration of his family - and the salvation of his entire nation. John Lennox applies the final chapter of Joseph's story to our own lives and helps us learn to follow his example.

Red Mage

Just going to copy one of my posts from a different thread here. So the next time someone tries to claim that Christians' 'stole' Christmas, you can politely explain why they're wrong.

Sort of. The festive nature of these holidays was adapted to Christmas, but Christmas was celebrated on December 25th in the West and January 9th in the East by the entire Church by the late 200's. Even as far back as 204 A.D. Hyppolytus of Rome mentions December 25th in his Commentary on the book of Daniel. It was set to be three months prior to the Crucifixion, which was celebrated (at the time) on March 25th and April 9th, respectively.

It was not, however, a large, festive, event. Rather, it was much more somber and conservative in nature. The 'fun' aspects were incorporated when Christianity became the dominate religion in the Roman Empire, because people were used to celebrating at that time.

Chaplain

Just going to copy one of my posts from a different thread here. So the next time someone tries to claim that Christians' 'stole' Christmas, you can politely explain why they're wrong.

Thank you for sharing this.

I think this debate between two professors will also help in this discussion when people bring it up:

Christmas: historical fact or theological invention? Ben Witherington & S Thornton

Matthew and Luke both tell the story of the birth of Jesus Christ. The stories share some details in common but also vary in others. Where did they get their information from, and should we regard them as historical or merely "theological"?

Stephen Thornton is a liberal Bible tutor who believes that none of the details of the Christmas story are historically true. Rather, stories of the virgin conception, the shepherds, the wise men etc contain "deeper meanings" that were written down as a "teaching aid" to the early church.

Ben Witherington III is New Testament professor at Asbury Theological Seminary. He says that the Christmas stories certainly contain deep meaning, but only because they have a basis in historical events, and that Stephen's approach is out of date.

sajj316

Blessing fellow Christians. I will be following this OT much closely after viewing some of the videos posted.

God bless you all!

Real name is John ..

Chaplain

Blessing fellow Christians. I will be following this OT much closely after viewing some of the videos posted.

God bless you all!

Real name is John ..

Welcome bro. ^_^

New blog is up: 1 Samuel chapter 22 (David at the Adullam Cave, Saul Murders the Priests) verse 3-5.

Things discussed:

David at Adullam cave. (Part 2)

David cares for his parents.
David hears from the prophet Gad.
Background on the prophet Gad.
Why did God want David to return to enemy territory?
Why does God want us to learn to trust Him?

The Time is Now: December 20

Question to consider:

1. What do you think of Anna’s commitment to seeking God? Do you ever fast and pray?

2. Anna was a widow and, because of her loss, was not able to have her own children. However, God brought good out of her painful circumstances. Are there any examples in your own life of suffering or disappointment out of which God has brought something good?

Chaplain

New blog is up: 1 Samuel chapter 22 (David at the Adullam Cave, Saul Murders the Priests) verse 6-23.

Things discussed:

Saul murders God's priests due to hate filling his heart.

Saul accuses his crew of treason.
What happens when we let hate fill our hearts?
Why does Doeg manipulate his report of Ahimelech and David to King Saul?
Saul accuses Ahimelech (due to his paranoia) of conspiracy with David.
Saul commands the execution of God's priests and their families.
A prophecy is fulfilled by Doeg's murder of the priests.
What did David think about Doeg's murder of God's priests?
Do our sins affect the lives of others?

The Time is Now: December 22

Questions to consider:

1. Is Jesus truly ‘Lord’ of your life? Is He in charge? Elizabeth and the unborn John the Baptist recognised the lordship of Christ – do you?

2. Have you grasped the wonder of what God has done in sending Jesus? Have you known praise welling up in your heart in response to revelation?

3. Who are ‘the proud’ and who are ‘the humble’ today?

Apologetics Christmas lecture:

Michael Ramsden - Joy To The World (Luke 2:8-20)

I missed your post until this morning. How did it go?

It was a well received sermon. You know... when you put your trust into the Spirit, it never fails.

I centered around the fact that often times we are trying to have our avatars, our masks, and our alternate persona blessed. The lesson we can learn from Jacob is that trying to be first, trying to have the birthright and the blessing that belongs to someone else never works out. You're constantly looking over your shoulder. You live in exile. Yes, you might accumulate material possessions, but what good does it do if you can't even sleep at night? What good is it to gain the world and lose my self?

We need to come to the Lord as we are. Of note is that Jacob wrestled with the angel when he was alone, far from his wives, sons, and material possessions. Sometimes, so that we can wrestle with the Spirit through prayer, we have to be completely alone so we can finally admit our true shortcomings and ask for a real blessing.

When Jacob received someone else's blessing, he used an alternate name. he Isaac asked "who is it?" (What's your name?) And Jacob said "I'm Esau." This was a blessing he could never truly enjoy and receive.

So when the angel confronted him, Jacob was finally realizing he couldn't do it on his own. He couldn't be someone else. That's why the angel asked him... "What's your name?"

When Jacob could finally admit who he was, he was blessed. "I'm Jacob. With all of my faults, my deceitfulness, and my shortcomings."

What stuck with me, though, was that the Bible often switches back and forth between Israel (his new name) and Jacob (his old self). And when Moses asked the Lord "whom shall I say you are?" The Lord replied "tell them that I am who I am. (Or the Great I Am.) Tell them I'm the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac,"

and here I thought we would see "and the God of Israel," for Israel was Jacob's new identity in the Lord. Israel was the good side of Jacob. The faithful side.

Yet the Lord said to Moses "and the God of Jacob." Not Israel. That was significant for me, because it spoke to me in a way that let me know... even though I have a new identity in Christ, I am still flesh. I am still going to sin. I am still going to fall short of the glory of God. And yet He still loves me and favors me.

What an amazing God!

Chaplain

It was a well received sermon. You know... when you put your trust into the Spirit, it never fails.

I centered around the fact that often times we are trying to have our avatars, our masks, and our alternate persona blessed. The lesson we can learn from Jacob is that trying to be first, trying to have the birthright and the blessing that belongs to someone else never works out. You're constantly looking over your shoulder. You live in exile. Yes, you might accumulate material possessions, but what good does it do if you can't even sleep at night? What good is it to gain the world and lose my self?

We need to come to the Lord as we are. Of note is that Jacob wrestled with the angel when he was alone, far from his wives, sons, and material possessions. Sometimes, so that we can wrestle with the Spirit through prayer, we have to be completely alone so we can finally admit our true shortcomings and ask for a real blessing.

When Jacob received someone else's blessing, he used an alternate name. he Isaac asked "who is it?" (What's your name?) And Jacob said "I'm Esau." This was a blessing he could never truly enjoy and receive.

So when the angel confronted him, Jacob was finally realizing he couldn't do it on his own. He couldn't be someone else. That's why the angel asked him... "What's your name?"

When Jacob could finally admit who he was, he was blessed. "I'm Jacob. With all of my faults, my deceitfulness, and my shortcomings."

What stuck with me, though, was that the Bible often switches back and forth between Israel (his new name) and Jacob (his old self). And when Moses asked the Lord "whom shall I say you are?" The Lord replied "tell them that I am who I am. (Or the Great I Am.) Tell them I'm the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac,"

and here I thought we would see "and the God of Israel," for Israel was Jacob's new identity in the Lord. Israel was the good side of Jacob. The faithful side.

Yet the Lord said to Moses "and the God of Jacob." Not Israel. That was significant for me, because it spoke to me in a way that let me know... even though I have a new identity in Christ, I am still flesh. I am still going to sin. I am still going to fall short of the glory of God. And yet He still loves me and favors me.

What an amazing God!

Ty. You analysis is spot on. I agree with everything you said.

I also find it interesting that (like you said) every time Jacob was in his flesh, God called him Jacob. Every time he was walking in the Spirit, He was called Israel (to be governed by God).

Chaplain

New blog is up: 1 Samuel chapter 23 (David Saves Keliah; David Escapes from Saul) verse 1-15.

Things discussed:

David saves Keliah from the Philistines.

Why does God direct David to do Saul's job?
What is a sign of walking in wisdom and godliness?
God directs David to fight against the Philistines.
Why does God bless our obedience?
Saul mistakenly assumes God was handing David over to him.
David seeks God again through prayer.
Should we pray when the answer seems obvious?
Is there any danger in not seeking God in prayer?
David dies to self and saves the people of Keliah.

New sermon:

Download: 12/21 - The Birth of Jesus (Matthew 1:18-25)

A Christmas Carol Service from Oxford University:

John Lennox: Oxford University Carol Service (Short)

Reflecting on the reason for Christmas;

The Time is Now: December 23

Questions to consider:

1. Joseph was a real person, an ordinary man to whom something extraordinary happened. Have you allowed the ‘physical world’ and the ‘spiritual world’ to be separated in your thinking? How can you welcome the truth of Jesus into you everyday working life?

2. What difference would it make in your daily life if you leant on Immanuel, God with us?

An apologetics lecture for those who have doubts about Christmas:

Christmas for Doubters - John Lennox

Chaplain

New blog is up: 1 Samuel chapter 23 (David Saves Keliah; David Escapes from Saul) verse 14-29.

Things discussed:

David narrowly escapes Saul in the Judean wilderness.

David takes refuge in Wilderness of Ziph.
How does God change our hearts to be like Jesus' heart?
Can obsessions draw us away from God's plans?
Who is in control of our lives?
What type of friends should we surround ourselves with when we are suffering?
Is it possible to reject feelings of fear?
Why did king Saul want to stop God's plan?
Is it possible to bless someone for being evil?
God is in control of circumstances and delivers His own at the right time.

The Time is Now: December 26

Questions to consider:

1. Who can I speak to today about the real message of Christmas?

2. How can I escape some of the material trappings of Christmas and honour the One who lay in a manger?

"Christian thinker and scientist John Lennox answers and refutes various objections and questions New Atheists have."

Answering New Atheist Objections and Fallacies | John Lennox, PhD

Thanks for providing material even through the holidays, GA. Much appreciated. I'm looking to create a sermon around David, so the stuff you're currently sharing is perfectly on point. Isn't it interesting how God worked that out? :)

Chaplain

Thanks for providing material even through the holidays, GA. Much appreciated. I'm looking to create a sermon around David, so the stuff you're currently sharing is perfectly on point. Isn't it interesting how God worked that out? :)

I pray that God uses these studies in my own life and all those on GAF to walk closer to God and bless others in our lives. ^_^

I also hope that it encourages you and helps you point people to the Lord.

New blog is up: 1 Samuel chapter 24 (David Spares Saul's Life) verse 1-7.

Things discussed:

David doesn't kill Saul when he has the opportunity.

Saul seeks David in the Wilderness of En Gedi.
How do we achieve permanent victory over spiritual attacks?
Facts about the Wilderness of En Gedi.
What is a sheepfold?
Saul unknowingly enters a cave where David and his men were hiding.
Why does the Bible say that Saul used the restroom?
Why would God send Saul to David?
Do trials produce faith?
Why did David's men want to kill Saul?
Why is slowing down and waiting for God a great lesson to learn?
Why did David cut off a piece of Saul's robe?
What was the significance of cutting off a piece of someone's robe?
Why did David spare Saul's life?
Should we sin in order to help fulfill God's promise in our lives?
How did David not let hate consume his heart?
Why did David's heart bother him for cutting Saul's robe?
What is the purpose of people that annoy or hurt us in our lives?
Should we repent when we cut down someone's character or conduct?
David restrains himself and his men from killing Saul.
Can our godly actions restrain those who want to do evil?

Explaining your faith (to a church-going atheist) - John Pritchard, Andrew Nightingale & Mark Roques

Saturday 27th December 2014 - 02:30 pm
Rt Revd John Pritchard is the recently retired Bishop of Oxford and the author of 'How to Explain Your Faith'. He joins Justin along with church-going atheist Andrew Nightingale and Christian philosopher and storyteller Mark Roques as they discuss what Andrew loves about the church he attends but why he finds it difficult to believe the claims of Christianity.

Chaplain

New blog is up: 1 Samuel chapter 24 (David Spares Saul's Life) verse 8-22.

Things discussed:

David appeals to Saul.

Why did David reveal his presence to Saul?
Are submission and trusting God linked to one another?
David's speech to Saul.
How does love cover sin?
What does not touching the Lord's anointed mean?
Is it Biblical to confront leaders about their sin?
Is it Biblical to confront leaders about their Bible teaching?
What was God telling Saul through his cut robe?
Why did David let God defend him against Saul?
How do we know and understand the purposes of God?
Does God need our help in judging others?
Why is it a fallacy to think we are righteous because of our good deeds?
How does God use others to change us?

Saul's reaction to David.

Saul honors David's mercy towards him.
How does God soften a persons heart?
Saul admits David is Israel's future king.
What is true evidence for repentance and a changed heart?
What type of change does God want in/from all of our lives?

An amazing debate between agnostic philosopher Eusebius McKaiser and Christian professor John Lennox:

McKaiser/Lennox debate PART 1
McKaiser/Lennox debate PART 2
McKaiser/Lennox debate PART 3

Chaplain

New blog is up: 1 Samuel chapter 25 (David, Nabal, and Abigail) verse 1-13.

Things discussed:

David's anger at Nabal.

Introduction to chapter 25
The great prophet Samuel dies.
Does God's work end when a person dies?
A short summary of Samuel's life and his heritage.
Who is the man named Nabal?
What are the four types of rices?
Does a person's name have anything to do with their character?
What celebration was the shearing of sheep?
Nabal's wife Abigail.
How did evil Nabal get married to his godly Abigail?
Should godly spouses divorces their ungodly partners?
David asks for compensation for his valuable service to Nabal.
Was David extorting Nabal?
Nabal's reply to David's request.
Why did Nabal insult David?
How does true Biblical generosity behave?
David reacts to Nabal's insulting response.
Why does David treat Nabal differently than Saul?
Is it possible to love our enemies without God's help?

New apologetics lecture from Ravi Zacharias:

Running from Reality - Ravi Zacharias 2014

Chaplain

New blog is up: 1 Samuel chapter 25 (David, Nabal, and Abigail) verse 14-35.

Things discussed:

Abigail intercedes between David and Nabal.

Abigail hears of how Nabal responded to David.
Abigail prepares a present for David and his men.
Was Nabal wealthy?
David vows to massacre Nabal and his entire household.
Should we repay evil with evil?
What would cause David to want to sin against God?
Abigail's appeal to David.
A list of right things Abigail did or said to David.
A list of wrong things Abigail did or said to David.
How do we help someone who wants to commit evil?
What is an accurate picture of submission in marriage?
David thanks God for Abigail's appeal.
Are we ever right in retaliating with evil when someone hurts us?
Why is David one of the great people of the Bible?
Can obedience change the course of history?

A short video on hypocrisy:

Isn't the Church Full of Paedophile Priests, Hypocrites, etc.?

A one on one discussion about ethics:

Give Me an Answer - #0914 - The Ethical Dilemma

Chaplain

New blog is up: 1 Samuel chapter 25 (David, Nabal, and Abigail) verse 35-44.

Things discussed...

Nabal dies and David marries Abigail:

What type of person is Nabal a picture of?
Is it possible to avoid God's judgment?
God strikes Nabal dead.
Abigail proves that David was wrong.
Could Nabal be the man in the Parable of the Rich Fool?
David marries Abigail.
Was David wrong for asking Abigail to marry him?
Was David wrong for marrying two women?
Is polygamy God's ideal for marriage?
How is Abigail a picture of our own lives?

Chaplain

So glad I found this thread where discussion can be done in peace.

This is from my local church when they were having a seminar. It's not much but at least I want to contribute something.

Can you trust the Bible? A book under attack.

Welcome bro.

I glanced at part of your video link. Is there an MP3 version so I can listen to it in my car?

Ty

New blog is up: 1 Samuel chapter 26 (David Spares Saul's Life Again) verse 1-12.

Things discussed...

David's second opportunity to kill Saul.

Why did the Ziphites betray David again?
Saul goes back on his word.
Why was David monitor Saul?
David's second opportunity to kill Saul while he is sleeping.
Who were the Hittites?
God tests David again.
Who was Abishai?
Abishai offers to kill Saul on David's behalf.
Why did David reject Abishai's request to kill Saul?
Why did David not want to hurt God's servant?
Learning lessons for ministry.
Who does vengeance belong to in personal relationships?
God puts Saul and his men in a deep sleep.

I think the following lecture goes well with the recent Stephen Hawking’s film. Professor John Lennox discusses "Stephen Hawking’s arguments from “The Grand Design” and explains why physics hasn't ruled out God."

Bethinking 2/6: John Lennox on Stephen Hawking's "The Grand Design"

In this second session of the Bethinking National Apologetics Day Conference, John Lennox delivers his critique of Stephen Hawking's arguments in The Grand Design and explains why, despite its media hype, neither God nor philosophy is dead. The lecture is followed by questions and answers from the audience.

Chaplain

Nope, but I can always convert it into an MP3 if needed

No thank you. I will just listen to it when I am home. ^_^

New blog is up: 1 Samuel chapter 26 (David Spares Saul's Life Again) verse 13-26.

Things discussed...

David confronts Saul again with the evidence of his mercy:

David calls out to Saul.
Why was David so hurt by Saul?
David asks Saul to spare his life.
Saul apologizes to David by admitting his sin.
Is admitting our sins the same as repenting of them?
Is there a difference between the sorrow of the world and the sorrow of godly repentance?
Saul admits the story of his life in four words.
Does every person know the truth about themselves?
Is a person sinful because of their environment?
What is one of the main messages the Bible teaches?
David explains to Saul why he did not kill him.
What is one of the easiest ways to receive mercy?
David rejects Saul's invitation to return with him.
Are there negative consequences when we backslide?

Two new lectures by professor John Lennox.

Faith Has Its Reasons | Part 1 | John Lennox, PhD
Faith Has Its Reasons | Part 2 | John Lennox, PhD

Chaplain

A excellent article on what led some people to become atheists.

Listening to young atheists: Lessons for a stronger Christianity

1. They had attended church.
2. The mission and message of their churches was vague.
3. They felt their churches offered superficial answers to life’s difficult questions.
4. They expressed their respect for those ministers who took the Bible seriously.
5. Ages 14-17 were decisive.
6. The decision to embrace unbelief was often an emotional one.
7. The internet factored heavily into their conversion to atheism.

Chaplain

A new video and lectures:

How a French Atheist Becomes a Christian Theologian (Guillaume Bignon)

Born and raised in France, Guillaume was happy and successful as an atheist. So why is he now a Christian theologian? Find out how God changed him in this interview.

Truth and Tolerance: Navigating Belief and Intellectual Integrity in a Pluralistic World at NYU

David Skeel and Seth Freeman at The Veritas Forum at NYU, 2014.

Science, Ignorance, and the Pursuit of Meaning - Satyan Devadoss & Stuart Firestein at Columbia University

An atheist neuroscientist and Christian mathematician discuss science, ignorance, faith and meaning at The Veritas Forum at Columbia, 2014.

Is Morality Real? Terence Cuneo and Jon Garthoff at UTK

The Veritas Forum at the University of Tennessee, 2014.

Chaplain

A new unbelievable debate has been posted::

Should Christians rethink Hell? Dr Al Mohler & Chris Date debate the traditional & conditionalist (Saturday 3rd January 2015 - 02:30 pm)

Following an article in the New York Times about scholars who adopt an annihilationist (also called 'conditional immortality') view of hell rather than the traditional 'eternal conscious torment' view, Justin is joined by two evangelicals to debate the issue.

Dr Al Mohler is President of Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. He spoke against the annihilationist view in an edition of his daily podcast The Briefing.

Chris Date is one of the founders of Rethinking Hell and adopted an annihilationist view after he became convinced the Bible teaches it. They debate the scriptural evidence and whether scholarship is moving away from the traditional view.

For the MP3 Click here

For the NY Times article: Click Here

Chaplain

An excellent free resource on how to properly study the Bible.

INDUCTIVE BIBLE STUDY METHOD PDF

The task of studying the Scriptures is commanded by God, but whenever God requires something He always provides the means by which to fulfill it through our new divine nature and the Holy Spirit. There are many verses that not only exhort us to know God’s Word, but also command us to study the Scriptures. (Joshua 1:8, Jeremiah 23:28-29, Psalm 119:9-11, Acts 17:11, 2 Timothy 2:14-16, Hebrews 4:12.) * These by no means are exhaustive but they will do.

The believer is called a disciple of Jesus which really means a learner or pupil.

The inductive study method is the most valuable and accurate way of studying the scriptures to arrive at the genuine interpretation of the day it was written to. This method focuses on three main areas:

1. Context

The context is vital to insure the original intent and purpose of the writer of the day it was written.

A. Today many teachers and preachers do violence to the Scriptures.

1. They come up with some of the most erroneous interpretations because they have ignored this basic principle of context.
2. The result is that they destroy the original intent and meaning of the text.
• They interpret it subjectively.
• They interpret it by spiritualizing it.

B. Text out of it’s context is nothing but a pretext!

1. There are various types of sermons such as biographical, textual, topical and propositional.
2. But there is only one way to do inductive study which will prepare the expositor for his sermon material, whatever type is chosen.

This is the first area of inductive method!

2. Historical Background

The historical background is also very important to insure what is being taught or required is relevant to our day.

A. A good example would be the command to the women to wear veils to honor their husbands at Corinth. 1 Corinthians. 11:13

1. The city had a temple to Aphrodite and the temple prostitutes would be unveiled showing that they had no covering over their lives, in other words no husband and were in fact temple prostitutes.
2. The command of Paul to the women is to not use their liberty in Christ lest two things take place; they be mistaken for temple prostitutes and dishonor their husbands by identifying with the permissive women of the city.
• This is what we might call “cultural relativity”, the literal command is not obligated nor does it apply to our present day.
• But we can apply the principle of honoring and obeying husbands as the heads of the homes and glorifying God in ones conduct by staying away from all appearance of evil.
3. The Bible transcends the culture regarding morals and ethics, not the reverse.
• If the Bible teaches sexual purity, it is an absolute for all ages.
• If the Bible teaches lying is wrong, it is for all ages

B. We must be careful not to compromise or substitute the word of God for human teachings in order to justify or rationalize a sinful lifestyle.

1. By Psychology.
2. By Anthropology.
3. By Sociology.
4. By situational ethics.
5. By value clarification.
6. By any other humanistic teaching that contradicts or opposes the word of God, trying to justified or your culpability of a sinful lifestyle.

This is the second area of inductive method!

Language

The original language is key to understand the meaning as well as the sense of the sentence, be it Hebrew, Aramaic or Greek.

A. Word studies must be done not in isolation but in conjunction with the passage, context and their relation to the other words that structure the sentence or section, lest a wrong meaning is given to a word because the same word can be used in different ways.

1. This simple three step process is call “general Hermeneutics” which means interpretation or to explain, at times called “grammatico-historical exegesis”.
2. There is special Hermeneutics which does not replace the former but adds other rules to help come to the original meaning, this would be true of Poetry and Prophecy.

B. Whenever a person begins to approach a book, a chapter or a section, the central theme or subject must be grasped and this comes only by reading it over and over again until the central theme stands out as the sun illuminating the rest of the material.

1. The Gospel of John central theme is ‘Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and believing you may have life in His name’.—John. 20:31
2. The theme of Romans is ‘the righteousness of God revealed for the salvation of man by grace and faith’.—Romans. 1:16-17

This is the third area of inductive method!

Much more information is on the PDF. ^_^

Chaplain

New blog is up: 1 Samuel chapter 27 (David Flees to Israel's Enemies the Philistines) verse 1.

Things discussed...

David's discouraged decision:

Introduction to 1 Samuel 27
What does talking in our hearts mean?
What is the root cause for David's discouragement?
Why does God warn us to guard our hearts?
What is a negative confession?
Why did David lose faith in God's promise to him?
What happens to us when we don't believe God anymore?
What happens to us when fear fills our hearts?
Why does Satan pressure believers?
David's discouragement and despair warp his thinking.
Is there a reason why we shouldn't talk to ourselves?

New apologetics lecture:

Nabeel Qureshi: From Islam to Christianity

Nabeel Qureshi's testimony about how he converted from Islam to Christianity

It's weird from my perspective since the eternal damnation view doesn't really hold much evidence in the bible compared to the annihiliationist view. Yet the majority of christian denominations have it as doctrine.

Tbh, I really do think that the vast majority of people who claim to be christians don't dig into scriptures themselves.

Tbh, I really do think that the vast majority of people who claim to be christians don't dig into scriptures themselves.

Part of it is how many different variations of the Bible exist out there and how many different denominations interpret the Bible is a particular way.

It was certainly news to me that there was a Bible that was not the King James version that was accepted in different denominations.

It's weird from my perspective since the eternal damnation view doesn't really hold much evidence in the bible compared to the annihiliationist view. Yet the majority of christian denominations have it as doctrine.

I agree completely. For some people it's more of an identity than a faith. It's rather sad.

Part of it is how many different variations of the Bible exist out there and how many different denominations interpret the Bible is a particular way.

It was certainly news to me that there was a Bible that was not the King James version that was accepted in different denominations.

Restricting yourself to one version is limiting your understanding of the bible. The reason other translations exist is that they are all trying to send the message of greek/aramaic/hebrew manuscripts. Always trying to reference back to the greek/aramaic/hebrew is easily the most accurate way to understand the bible as some things do get lost in translation.

Actually this is another part of the seminar that I linked earlier which is related to this topic.

Conspiracies, Manuscripts and Bible Translations

Chaplain

As always, great stuff! Checking it out now.

Your welcome bro.

Tbh, I really do think that the vast majority of people who claim to be Christians don't dig into scriptures themselves.

I think the eternal damnation holds more water from my studies and historically in the church. In the debate it was said that the church has held this view for about 1400 years. Only later did the annihilation view came into the church.

In Hosea, God said, "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge" (Hosea 4:6). I think this holds true for all believers. If people dug into God's Word like He asks us to, people would not fall prey to all of the lies that have infiltrated the church from the beginning. You can even go back to the Old Testament and see the Jewish people walk into deception due to not knowing God's Word or ignoring what it said. I assume this is why God had Paul write so many warnings in the scriptures about deception. Most of the epistles sub-message is warning believers not to go back into the world, fall for false teachers teachings, or go back into their sinful lifestyle that they were living prior to Christ. This is why Jesus calls us to deny ourselves daily. Why? Because our human nature wants to dominate and not be denied. Paul talks about this in the book of Galatians:

"So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves. The sinful nature wants to do evil, which is just the opposite of what the Spirit wants. And the Spirit gives us desires that are the opposite of what the sinful nature desires. These two forces are constantly fighting each other, so you are not free to carry out your good intentions." (Galatians 5:16-17)

It is a battle that we all face. Renewing our minds with God's Word, obeying what He tells us to do, by/through his spirit, is the only way to grow in Christ. It is a battle we will all deal with daily until we pass on to the next world. Not doing this results in our human nature controlling us and easily being susceptible to lies and deception.

Always trying to reference back to the greek/aramaic/hebrew is easily the most accurate way to understand the bible as some things do get lost in translation.

Yup.

Chaplain

New blog is up: 1 Samuel chapter 27 (David Flees to Israel's Enemies the Philistines) verse 2-12.

Things discussed...

David becomes a murder and thief:

Does our depression affect the lives of those closest to us?
Why did king Achish let David stay with him?
Saul stops pursuing David.
Do the ends justify the means?
David receives the city of Ziklag from king Achish.
Are there benefits to going back into the world?
David's becomes roving bandit and thief.
Were David's actions in accordance to God's will?
Why did David lie to Achish?
Why did David murdered innocent people?
Why should we ask God to remove the root of our sinful habits?
Does God only use perfect people?
Does God give up on us if we willfully walk away from Him?

A new lecture from Ravi Zacharias at Johns Hopkins University:

Ravi Zacharias - The Question of Suffering

Why do we suffer? Is the presence of suffering evidence that there is no God? Ravi Zacharias answers those questions this week to students at Johns Hopkins University.

Chaplain

New blog is up: 1 Samuel chapter 28 (Saul and the Medium of Endor) verse 1-6.

Things discussed...

David sides with the Philistines due to his sin.
How does Satan present temptations to us?

Saul's distressing situation

Why is Samuel's death discussed again?
Should Christians dabble with the occultic world?
Saul's fear at the attack from the Philistines.
What happened to Saul's courage?
Why did God choose not to speak to Saul anymore?
When will God not speak to us?
How does God guide us?

Short apologetics video on...

Why does God appear to be hidden?

Bertrand Russell famously said that if he was ever confronted by a creator and was asked why he didn’t believe, he would respond ‘Not enough evidence, God! Not enough evidence!’. How should Christians respond to the suggestion that God has seemingly made it so difficult to believe in him? In a question and answer session, Ravi Zacharias suggests that although God may seem hidden to some, he will make himself known to those who earnestly seek him.

Chaplain

A new debate has been posted on...

Does mathematics point to God?
William Lane Craig vs Daniel Came
Saturday 10th January 2015 - 02:30 pm

Craig-Maths-Main_article_image.jpg

In 1960 physicist Eugene Wigner wrote a paper on the ‘unreasonable effectiveness of mathematics’. Christian philosopher William (Bill) Lane Craig has recently been developing arguments concerning the ‘applicability’ of mathematics as evidence for God as part of his wider research on abstract objects.

Bill interacts with atheist/agnostic philosopher Daniel Came on whether the remarkable ability of maths to describe the universe we live in is evidence for a transcendent designer.

Get The MP3 (Right Click/Save as)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom