• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan to direct WWII film "Dunkirk", shot in IMAX 65mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

Looking forward to that Dunkirk trailer in proper quality.

Anyway, I just started up Interstellar. Haven't seen it yet but wow the movie is three hours long.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Looking forward to that Dunkirk trailer in proper quality.

Anyway, I just started up Interstellar. Haven't seen it yet but wow the movie is three hours long.

Not seeing Interstellar on a proper IMAX screen is the biggest mistake of your life. youplayedyoursefl.gif

Fun fact!

One of, if not the first civilian vessel that went to Dunkirk was crewed by men who were either active or had previous membership in Mosley's Blackshirts.

jett

D-Member
IMAX 2D is the best thing ever in a cinema. That and 70mm, and Dolby Atmos.

3D is trash. Nolan, keep the 2D dream alive.

Atmos is overrated. The only difference I can tell is that it's loud as fuck. The last time I watched a movie in Atmos I actually feared for my hearing (Star Wars).

Atmos is overrated. The only difference I can tell is that it's loud as fuck. The last time I watched a movie in Atmos I actually feared for my hearing (Star Wars).

It really depends on the theater. Seeing star wars in imax almost made me nauseous from how loud it was but the atmos track at another theater was amazing in how natural it sounded.

3N16MA

Banned

I enjoyed it during Fury Road. I have seen a bunch of films with Atmos but Fury Road stands out.

jett

D-Member
If you can't tell the difference you're probably deaf.
I guess! I can barely notice surround sound in general at movie theaters to be honest. No matter where I go, 95%+ of the sound comes from the front.
It really depends on the theater. Seeing star wars in imax almost made me nauseous from how loud it was but the atmos track at another theater was amazing in how natural it sounded.

Unfortunately there's only one Atmos-equipped theater where I live!

I enjoyed it during Fury Road. I have seen a bunch of films with Atmos but Fury Road stands out.

I watched Fury Road on Atmos. My ears came out ringing. Other than the insane loudness, I didn't notice anything special surround-wise.

The way they advertise and hype Atmos, I thought I was gonna be able to somehow detect 50+ discreet channels of audio. Obviously that didn't happen. :p

duckroll

Sadly this sounds like a bad atmos setup. A good one should not be louder, but richer in depth.

Zombine

Banned
The audience during the Dunkirk trailer bursted out laughing at the end scene...no idea why

smiling%20dude.gif

jett

D-Member
The audience during the Dunkirk trailer bursted out laughing at the end scene...no idea why
Maybe cuz it comes off as being really artificial, despite not having anything to do with VFX. Everything about these extras' "acting" and reactions looks super fake.

Blader

I highly doubt that Nolan will ever make a Memento or Prestige type of film again. He's going to make big budget mass appeal films for the foreseeable future.

He did a documentary last year didn't he? Not something like Memento or The Prestige, but it was a brief trip back to smaller scale stuff.

fake edit: oh, it was only 8 mins. :lol

jett

D-Member
I agree that the Nol-man should go back to lower-budget affairs. TDKR was a really clear example of a director simply going bigger and louder in an attempt to best his previous work.

I guess! I can barely notice surround sound in general at movie theaters to be honest. No matter where I go, 95%+ of the sound comes from the front.

If you can't detect surround sound, maybe it is time to get your ears checked. Do you get any ringing from time to time?

Ashhong

I don't get the IMAX love really but to each their own. :)

I have to question whether or not you have seen an IMAX filmed movie, in an actual IMAX screen. For example, Interstellar, Batman v Superman, the bank robbery scene of The Dark Knight, etc. It has to be in a real IMAX theater as well.

It's fucking glorious.

I doubt that last scene in the teaser will make the Final Cut.
Probably could've picked a better one, but it doesn't really matter too much. People will look to the trailers that follow.

I remember the inception had a couple shots of Leo that never made it in.

Pachimari

I have to question whether or not you have seen an IMAX filmed movie, in an actual IMAX screen. For example, Interstellar, Batman v Superman, the bank robbery scene of The Dark Knight, etc. It has to be in a real IMAX theater as well.

It's fucking glorious.
You might be right. The only movie I have seen in a real IMAX cinema here is Inside Out and some other movie but I don't think they had any IMAX filmed scenes.

Anyway, I'm watching Interstellar for the first time and I am 2:13 hours in, and so far it's damn amazing. I were shocked to see Matt Damon in it wow.

It's fucking glorious.

I remember getting vertigo with the overhead shot in The Dark Knight bank robbery. Oh lawd. BFI IMAX is the best.

3N16MA

Banned
You might be right. The only movie I have seen in a real IMAX cinema here is Inside Out and some other movie but I don't think they had any IMAX filmed scenes.

Anyway, I'm watching Interstellar for the first time and I am 2:13 hours in, and so far it's damn amazing. I were shocked to see Matt Damon in it wow.

Try to catch a film that does have scenes filmed in IMAX and go to a real full size IMAX screen. It's a great experience.

Maybe this will be a trend.

jett

D-Member
If you can't detect surround sound, maybe it is time to get your ears checked. Do you get any ringing from time to time?

I can hear sound around me, just when actually watching movies in a movie theater, the sound seems to come from the front almost always.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I don't get the IMAX love really but to each their own. :)

How can anyone not like IMAX? Still remember the day I went to see Mission Impossible and they showed TDK rises prologue. I was completely floored. Breathtaking.

IMAX is truly an experience you can not replicate anywhere. I have a home theater, so sometimes I wouldn't mind if I skip most of the movies in regular theater and watch it home. But movies that are filmed in IMAX camera, you just can't get that experience at home.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I doubt that last scene in the teaser will make the Final Cut.
Probably could've picked a better one, but it doesn't really matter too much. People will look to the trailers that follow.

I remember the inception had a couple shots of Leo that never made it in.
It's a pretty awesome shot, no way that's getting cut. They will jyst cgi over his face.

MJPIA

Looks like a Merlin powered Hispano Buchon, 3 mark I or II Spitfire's and a Yak that's been extensively modified to resemble a Spitfire from the camera's point of view with CGI taking care of details they couldn't change.
They'll probably use that Yak and all their miniature flying models for most shots and use the real ones for the big scenes.
They've also got a full size replica there that I'm curious as to how they intent to crash it, dropping it from a helicopter maybe?
Wonder if they painted the aircraft or just used mop & glo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom