• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan to direct WWII film "Dunkirk", shot in IMAX 65mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMczaf

http://time.com/money/4513577/hollywood-salaries-dropping/

Like actor salaries, director compensation isn’t as clear cut—or as colossal—as it once was. Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight, Interstellar) is said to be nabbing $20 million upfront and 20% of the gross for his upcoming World War II epic Dunkirk, but that far outpaces most. The average director salary for a studio film is in the $750,000 to $1.5 million range, depending on past credits, according to THR.

20%? golfham

I think this is specifically to prevent WB about contacting him for another DCCU movie

20/20 is some fat cash only rivaled by like Lucas and JC
What do you mean to prevent him? I'm sure he can find another studio if they press him to make something he doesn't want to do. And what do you mean by JC, my mind is going blank.

And him making 20% gross means this movie has to be a ton of money for WB to get the cash back. It feels like Nolan will make enough money at some point to open his own studio to go against all the heavyweights. He makes obscene amounts of money, I believe he earned a ludicrous amount for Interstellar as well.

Joni

I think this is specifically to prevent WB about contacting him for another DCCU movie

20/20 is some fat cash only rivaled by like Lucas and JC
They would happily pay him that much if they think he would take it and direct some billion dollar movies.

Crazy insane deal but this might end up being the least profitable Nolan film since his pre-tdk days as well. WW2 epic in the summer. I think it will have to completely coast on his name this time.

Hyped for it though.

MindofKB

His major motion pictures gross around $226 million on average.

That means he's going to pocket somewhere around another $45 million on top of his $20 million upfront.

Jeeeeesus.

DMczaf

We hungry.

Opening Weekend

yYruUlu.gif

jey_16

Banned
aren't the backend deals normally based on the profits rather then gross? Pretty crazy that the studio could lose money on this but Nolan will come out with $20m + 20% of the gross

aren't the backend deals normally based on the profits rather then gross? Pretty crazy that the studio could lose money on this but Nolan will come out with $20m + 20% of the gross

"Gross" usually refers to gross profits after the production budget has been paid back.

Guzim

Crazy insane deal but this might end up being the least profitable Nolan film since his pre-tdk days as well. WW2 epic in the summer. I think it will have to completely coast on his name this time.

Hyped for it though.
The One Direction fans will help it.

shira

It's probably gross profit

edit: dammit sculli

Aurongel

I actually feel like the public appetite is totally there for a film like this and I think Nolan's track record for superb production management makes it easy to justify this.

Joni

There is a better chance of the DCCU making a hero called Nolman and casting Nolan to play him.
He doesn't want to but there is no way that paycheck is stopping them. They just don't want to lose him by pushing him on it.

frontovik

Banned
I wonder if Nolan will release a full trailer before the end of the year... (the sooner the better though) It's been awhile since I've been impressed by a WW2 film.

It might be pg 13. I feel like since it's starring young leads that he's going for that "the adventure of the great war" vibe with the movie until the shit gets real

Like gallipoli. It's gonna look great in imax too. Pretty damn excited for this.

DMczaf

DMczaf

There's a rumor posted at NolanFans that Dunkirk will get a Prologue

I've recently learned that the next Dunkirk footage that we'll be seeing is likely in the form of a prologue (a la the TDK prologue attached to I Am Legend back in December '07, and the TDKR prologue attached to Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol in December '11). I don't have any more concrete info besides that (for now...), but a prologue is definitely in the works!

As far as content, I can only speculate, but if Nolan follows the same template that he did for his previous two prologues, it could be a full scene (5-6 minutes) followed by a sizzle reel of different clips at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom