• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan to direct WWII film "Dunkirk", shot in IMAX 65mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMczaf

Dunkirk is getting an Asylum film....called Dunkirk!

http://www.dailyjournal.net/2016/11/12/lights_camera_atterbury_/

For an entire week, Johnson County got a taste of Hollywood. Filmmakers and crew from the California-based production studio The Asylum shot footage for their upcoming action movie, “Dunkirk.”

The film centers on the evacuation of Dunkirk, France, when the British military scrambled to avoid annihilation by German forces in World War II.

In the movie, a group of British soldiers is sent on a mission to retrieve a mysterious package that contains the algorithm for radar. Trapped behind Nazi lines, they have to sneak back to safety with the war effort in the balance, Lyon said.

“It’s a man-chase kind of movie, where these group of soldiers are being hunted by the Nazis,” he said.

Asylum is responsible for such films as “Mega Piranha,” “2-Headed Shark Attack” and the Sharknado series. Their specialty is the “mockbuster,” tongue-in-cheek versions of well-known movies.

DMczaf

image-396774.jpg

New trailer will do me.

I really don't need to see 7 minutes of a drama film, let alone any film, before being able to watch the rest. Who needs the blue balls?

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Yay.
A world war 2 drama based on a real story is what I've always wanted to see taking my family to watch a star wars movie.

jett

D-Member
PG-13 seems to be all but confirmed with this stuff? Looking forward to seeing soldiers dropping like sacks of potatoes.

Yay.
A world war 2 drama based on a real story is what I've always wanted to see taking my family to watch a star wars movie.

Your family will probably hate Star Wars but when they see that Dunkirk, they'll go "see kid, now that's what REAL war is about, not these pew pews and eooo noises".

DMczaf

Nolan screened the prologue again for the press tonight

http://www.metro.us/entertainment/w...opher-nolan-s-dunkirk/zsJqbo---zfpHuaRrbEvwc/

This part is interesting

How powerful is Christopher Nolan? He can lure sleepy journalists out of bed to watch a mere five minutes of his next movie. (There was a nice bagel spread, though.) And it wasn’t even the opening five minutes: The so-called “prologue” of Nolan’s “Dunkirk,” screened five full months before its July release, isn’t in fact the opening. It’s a grab bag of random bits, pasted artfully together into a glorified montage, beamed onto a giant IMAX screen.

I figured that. I hope the final movie is paced and edited like that though because God damn was it fantastic

Made the IMAX ticket price worth just those few minutes. Frightening loud sound design, score ramping up the tension and he managed to build this sense of dread really well

SJRB

Gold Member
..so he janked all the cool bits out of the movie and made a 5-minute montage before the movie is even out?

Weird.

DMczaf

I figured that. I hope the final movie is paced and edited like that though because God damn was it fantastic

Made the IMAX ticket price worth just those few minutes. Frightening loud sound design, score ramping up the tension and he managed to build this sense of dread really well

The dog fight's sound design was amazing.

Just be rated R, all I am looking forward too from GOATlan. Still wish he would have done sci-fi or some movie with a twist.. but at least he can get the WW movie out of the way and hopefully get back to a movie in the same genre as either Interstellar or Prestige or Inception.

The articles say Harry Styles but the magazine cover and trailers imply that other kid will be the focal point of the beach story

I love that he's going with multiple perspectives tho. So hyped for this. And it's really great to hear that he's aware of his exposition dialogue issues

fr0st

Banned
Sorry for the bump but when it's the next trailer coming out?

I'm thinking it's tied with Kong cause that's WB.

jelly

It's probably tension and emotion rather than gruesome violence as the focus of the film. The teaser shows as much.

Symphonic

The target audience are human beings on the planet who have heard of Christopher Nolan.

Well, yeah, he's a big name. A straight war movie is different from Batman and sci-fi flicks, though. Arrival and Hacksaw Ridge are similar maturity level but kids would probably be more interested in Arrival because "aliens".

Not a huge war movie genre fan normally but got to admit, the trailer I saw at an Imax was pretty intense. If the movie holds up to the trailer this could be an modern classic. PG 13 or no PG13.

PG-13 is fine. Nolan has said he didn't really make a war film. More of a survival film. If the prologue is anything to go by, this film will be filled with suspense and tension.

Tell me one movie about something gruesome, that wouldn't have been better with an R-rating?

Of course the movie can still be good and intense, but if so in spite of it being PG-13.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom