• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chromecast |OT|

Has anyone seen these in stores yet? I've checked the Best Buy site pretty much everyday and every one is unavailable.

I work for Best Buy, and my location has a ton. However, my store is in NC, and we might have gotten a surplus because of tax-free weekend. You might want to call to verify.

DirtyLarry

I'm on 10.8.4 and have the extension. Are you sure your Chrome installation is up to date? Not sure how it would be outdated since the updates are automatic, but someone else earlier had that same problem and it was because Chrome was outdated.

You should be on version 28.0.1500.71
Thanks for the reply. Not sure why but my automatic updates were not going through. Just manually installed and was able to install the extension right away. Much appreciated!

Fatalah

just use the stream tab if you're on computer lol

Oh yeah? You think it's funny killing your laptop's battery?

tumblr_md5g5lapmY1r6oyo7o1_250.gif

kaskade

I also got an email from amazon about an estimate the 21st. I'm going to try best buy. I might be passing by one today so I'll give em a call.

asdad123

This thing is pretty cool for the youtube/netflix extension, but apart from that I cant get video streaming sites to work well through the tab casting (For example, amazon instant video). It says it doesnt work with silverlight. Anyone have luck getting it to work?

Apart from that, its pretty cool for $35.

Also, its veeeery pixelated whenever I cast a tab. Any idea why? The quality is much better while casting the desktop, but theres no audio. Any idea?

DirtyLarry

This thing is pretty cool for the youtube/netflix extension, but apart from that I cant get video streaming sites to work well through the tab casting (For example, amazon instant video). It says it doesnt work with silverlight. Anyone have luck getting it to work?

Apart from that, its pretty cool for $35.

Also, its veeeery pixelated whenever I cast a tab. Any idea why? The quality is much better while casting the desktop, but theres no audio. Any idea?
I am just 100% guessing as I do not have mine yet, will be here Tuesday, but usually when I do not have audio on my Apple TV, it is because the audio source has switched while I left an app open. So try closing the app, making sure the audio is the right output, then opening the app again. I have to do the same thing with any browser as well.

If it is the desktop itself, usually turning WiFi on and off fixes no audio on the entire OS.

I should note I am on OS X, but I do know Windows acts in a similar fashion, that an app will default to whatever audio source was currently active when opening the app. Some are smart enough to hot switch, but not all of them.

Good Luck, and looking forward to checking out my Chromecast.

reKon

Banned
Got an e-mail last week from Amazon saying that I got the 3 months of Netflix! Also got an e-mail 2 days ago saying that I'll get the Chromecast by August 21st.. got damn.

Ephemeris

Got an e-mail last week from Amazon saying that I got the 3 months of Netflix! Also got an e-mail 2 days ago saying that I'll get the Chromecast by August 21st.. got damn.

I was wondering why I didn't get my code then realized I ordered it on my exes' Prime account.

Now I have to ask her to check for me lol Is there an expiration date on the code?

sangreal

I'm not sure that email is really accurate. I got my netflix code for my order placed while the promotion was active but I also go that email for a second order I placed long after they pulled the promotion

I was wondering why I didn't get my code then realized I ordered it on my exes' Prime account.

Now I have to ask her to check for me lol Is there an expiration date on the code?

12/31

toxk_02

Black Republican
Has anyone had trouble casting from their iPhone? The Chromecast is on and my tv shows the 'ready to cast' message, but my iPhone 5 no longer shows the 'cast' icon in my YouTube or Netflix apps. I've reset the apps and also the Chromecast, issue still exists, which is frustrating because it was working yesterday. Google's troubleshooting page doesn't have a lot to work with.

sangreal

Has anyone had trouble casting from their iPhone? The Chromecast is on and my tv shows the 'ready to cast' message, but my iPhone 5 no longer shows the 'cast' icon in my YouTube or Netflix apps. I've reset the apps and also the Chromecast, issue still exists, which is frustrating because it was working yesterday. Google's troubleshooting page doesn't have a lot to work with.

Stupid question, but you are on wifi right?

kaskade

The amazon page is saying that they are shipping Chromecasts daily. Maybe It'll ship earlier than the 21st.

I really think google underestimated the popularity this thing would gain.

So casting stuff to Youtube on this thing is pretty damn nice; way easier than using the apps on my Vizio TV, to be honest with you (even though it's the same concept).

Oddly enough, I can't stream Chrome tabs very well, but can stream my desktop just fine. Full screen video is a total wash, though. But with Youtube + Netflix, that covers almost everything. The rest I can use my HTPC for.

SimleuqiR

Had a bit of a hiccup with Youtube. Before last night I remember being able to jump through a video via the progress bar. If I drag the progress bar to the middle of the video, on my tablet, it would reflect on the Chromecast.

Last night, this option was not there. I couldn't jump to any point of the video while it was being broadcast on the dongle. The progress bar was just static and I couldn't use it.

VPhys

Got an Amazon email saying my Chromecast will be delivered August 21.

I originally got that email. Then I just got this..,

Hello,

We're writing about the order you placed on July 29, 2013 (Order# ). We do not have an estimated delivery date for the items below. We will email you with an update on your delivery date in 30 days, or as soon as the items are ready to ship.

"Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player"

We will make every effort to get the delayed item(s) to you as soon as possible. If there are other items in your order, they'll be shipped according to the delivery estimates listed in the order details in Your Account (www.amazon.com/youraccount) at no additional cost.

Demand for this thing must be like hotcakes.

Casted my rental of Only God Forgives the other night, and it looked amazing. Super clear and almost looked like a HFR movie (was it filmed in HFR or something?).

Tab mirroring is complete balls, though. That's unfortunate. Guess I just need to wait until more apps are enabled for casting. Any word on Spotify? I don't know how to transfer my playlists from there to Google Music, so I want to be able to cast from Spotify. That would be awesome.

MJLord

Hey now, I have to wait too :( Still haven't received my device shipped on the 26th

Godspeed :p I'm leaving home again in September and I was going to set this up for my mum so she can watch Netflix on the big tv. Guess she'll have to set it up herself xD

Petrie

Banned
Nothing about my 2 Best Buy backorders shipping, but my Netflix codes showed up and redeemed without issue. Still hoping they get them to me but hey a cancellation wouldn't leave me heartbroken either since I could grab one local.

Top Bottom