• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chromecast |OT|

Nothing about my 2 Best Buy backorders shipping, but my Netflix codes showed up and redeemed without issue. Still hoping they get them to me but hey a cancellation wouldn't leave me heartbroken either since I could grab one local.

Got chromecasts at your local Bestbuy?

atomsk

Party Pooper
We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on July 25, 2013
Estimated arrival date: October 18, 2013 - November 06, 2013

welp

SimleuqiR

Looks like Themes, News and maybe more coming to the idle "ready to broadcast" screen:

According to these (non-functional) settings values, you'd be able to pick "themes" of pictures pulled from Google+ for the Chromecast to cycle through. Presumably the Chromecast would continually update these, so you'd never get sick of the pictures on your TV.

New background images are nice, but the most interesting options are for "News," "Offers," and "Recent Photos." Having the Chromecast pump news or your personal images to the TV sounds really neat.

Even the possibility of Chromecast becoming your Universal remote:

It looks like the Googlers are well aware of the abilities of CEC, because at some point they've kicked around the idea of building a "universal" remote into the Chromecast app. Currently, while Chromecasting, you are able to play, pause, and seek with your phone, but it's important to realize that the individual apps handle that duty. The Chromecast app never directly controls your TV. This text suggests it would be able to automatically bring up a remote when casting starts.

nexusae0_remote_thumb.jpg

sangreal

Looks like Themes, News and maybe more coming to the idle "ready to broadcast" screen:

Even the possibility of Chromecast becoming your Universal remote:

Pretty sure they are incorrectly reading into the remote part. Looks like a universal remote for chromecast streams (right now each streaming app is responsible for remote) not for your tv

VPhys

We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on July 25, 2013
Estimated arrival date: October 18, 2013 - November 06, 2013

welp

We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on July 29, 2013 (Order# 107-6):

"Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player"
Estimated arrival date: October 17, 2013 - October 30, 2013

Strange I have an earlier delivery date yet I placed my order after yours.

kaskade

My amazon order says October as well. That's 2 months from now. I might just order it on the play store since that's saying 2-3 weeks.

sangreal

We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on July 29, 2013 (Order# 107-6):

"Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player"
Estimated arrival date: October 17, 2013 - October 30, 2013

Strange I have an earlier delivery date yet I placed my order after yours.

Me too. I'm guessing it just due to his shipping speed

atomsk

Party Pooper
My amazon order says October as well. That's 2 months from now. I might just order it on the play store since that's saying 2-3 weeks.

I've been considering it, I just don't know how much I trust them to actually ship it in that time frame, or if they'll start sending me emails about delays after I give them money. At least Amazon won't charge until it ships.

Me too. I'm guessing it just due to his shipping speed

Yeah, I don't have Prime so I used super saver shipping. It's not even for me, my mom has been looking for a cheap streaming option for the living room TV for a few months.

LiK

Mine had trouble connecting to the Internet for some reason. It finally worked after trying for like 2 hours off and on. Not as pleasant to set up as I thought.

jwk94

Amazon just sent me an email saying that they expect my Chromecast (which i ordered on july 28) to be delivered by the end of October. Smh.

Husker86

I've been considering it, I just don't know how much I trust them to actually ship it in that time frame, or if they'll start sending me emails about delays after I give them money. At least Amazon won't charge until it ships.

Yeah, I don't have Prime so I used super saver shipping. It's not even for me, my mom has been looking for a cheap streaming option for the living room TV for a few months.

Google shouldn't charge until it ships either. I'm almost positive. I got the same Amazon email so I ordered from Google (since I want 2 more anyway) so we'll see.

kaskade

Damn, that was quick. I had it in the cart but I don't think my order went through. It took me to the cart page and I never got an email.

Downhome

I just ordered a second one on Amazon, but it says ships in like 2-3 months or so. I'll keep that order open unless I find one somewhere else before then.

sangreal

I choose to believe that Amazon is full of shit on those shipping dates.

I added one to my cart on bestbuy but by the time I created an account (somehow they spam me every other day without one?) they removed it from the cart

kagete

Wow you get a lot of stuff for $35. A solidly built dongle, USB charge cable, wall socket adapter, hdmi extender, and 3 months of netflix.

This device+my TV instantly became my default music app for my small apartment. I just keep the TV at 50% volume while I'm cooking in the kitchen or doing laundry.

Koush Demonstrates Streaming To Chromecast With Any Media App On CyanogenMod

Koush's demonstration video is convincing. Start an applicable audio or video player, and a "Play on Chromecast" notification will pop into the tray. Tap it, and the file will play on your Chromecast TV dongle, no muss and no fuss. And more importantly, there's no need for developers to update their apps with the Chromecast API. Presumably this addition to the CyanogenMod ROM includes the ability to stream local files and cloud files, as Koush demonstrated previously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTWHL30gyg4

looks pretty good!

sangreal

So I guess CM 10.2 is going on my Nexus 7 then. Stock was doing so well too...

I wouldn't expect it too soon, he has to get written approval from Google to release anything that uses the chromecast api. Same reason he hasn't released the other app he demonstrated

CzarTim

My order from Best Buy shipped! Thanks a bunch to kaskade for posting that it was in stock yesterday. No more two month wait!

atomsk

Party Pooper
amazon update:

Dear Amazon.com Customer,

Thank you for your recent Chromecast purchase. Earlier today, you received an email indicating an incorrect estimated order delivery of late October. We are actively fulfilling orders weekly based on customer order date and all customers who placed orders prior to August 7 should receive their orders in the coming weeks and into mid-September. We will notify you as soon as your item ships and apologize for the confusion.

We hope to see you again soon!

kaskade

My order from Best Buy shipped! Thanks a bunch to kaskade for posting that it was in stock yesterday. No more two month wait!

No problem man. I'm hoping mine ships today too. Then it should be here sometime in the beginning of next week.

edit: it shipped.

Ecrofirt

Is this completely incompatible with DLNA media on a home network? Is there any prospect of using the API to make it work in some manner or another?

Ecrofirt

technically I can't see why it wouldn't work.

It seems to me to be something you'd need an app to facilitate. Set up a DLNA server (I use Universal Media Server at home), and then have some sort of app that connects into that, lets you pick a file, and then allows you to beam that to the Chromecast.

It's my home that something like that is possible, and that someone makes it. I've been wanting to get something for my bedroom that'll play Netflix as well as locally streamed media. I had been looking at the WDTV Live, but I am now hoping that Chromecast can tackle this as well.

AndyD

aka andydumi
It seems to me to be something you'd need an app to facilitate. Set up a DLNA server (I use Universal Media Server at home), and then have some sort of app that connects into that, lets you pick a file, and then allows you to beam that to the Chromecast.

It's my home that something like that is possible, and that someone makes it. I've been wanting to get something for my bedroom that'll play Netflix as well as locally streamed media. I had been looking at the WDTV Live, but I am now hoping that Chromecast can tackle this as well.

An app that does this would be the way to go.

thespot84

If you're using chromecast, and thus the DIAL protocol, why do you need DLNA in the first place? It's a competing standard in this case. either something like xbmc or plex could incorporate DIAL and you'd be good to go... no?

http://www.dial-multiscreen.org/

jbug617

Banned
Setup the Chromecast today. Took about 10 tries to get it connected to my wifi. The experience so far has been okay (only tried youtube). Going to tryout Netflix tonight since the 3 month code came in today.

sangreal

same here...fix this sh*t GooG!!

You didn't get the update saying to ignore that date?

Dear Amazon.com Customer,

Thank you for your recent Chromecast purchase. Earlier today, you received an email indicating an incorrect estimated order delivery of late October. We are actively fulfilling orders weekly based on customer order date and all customers who placed orders prior to August 7 should receive their orders in the coming weeks and into mid-September. We will notify you as soon as your item ships and apologize for the confusion.

We hope to see you again soon!

Amazon.com

Mine came!

Setup was a snap, the only issue I had was that the HDMI extender didn't seem to work.

My son's watching cartoons, so I can't play too much. Coolest feature? I can pause Netflix from any device, not just the one I launched the streaming from.

Top Bottom