• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chromecast |OT|

Ecrofirt

If you're using chromecast, and thus the DIAL protocol, why do you need DLNA in the first place? It's a competing standard in this case. either something like xbmc or plex could incorporate DIAL and you'd be good to go... no?

http://www.dial-multiscreen.org/
Thank you. I didn't know it was using the DIAL protocol. I hadn't even heard of it.

I'll have to look into how it works a bit better when I can get a chance.

I'd just really like some mechanism for browsing and selecting media on my local network and then subsequently pushing said media to the chromebox.

Futureman

I was impressed with Chromecast at my friend's house. From his GS IV and Samsung tablet, it was seamless sending Netflix and Youtube stuff and looked great.

From his MacBook Air running Chrome, it was meh. Video was unwatchable.

I was impressed with Chromecast at my friend's house. From his GS IV and Samsung tablet, it was seamless sending Netflix and Youtube stuff and looked great.

From his MacBook Air running Chrome, it was meh. Video was unwatchable.

Was it something other than Youtube and Netflix on the Mac? Because those stream straight to the device, the tablet or laptop just set up the connection.

Now that I have played with mine, I'm a little disappointed. Still well worth the price, but everything that's not native streaming is to slow for anything animated, and only 720P. Can't wait for HBOGO and other services to start showing up.

kaskade

I wonder if the mycast app that one of the cyanogenmod devs is working on will fix that. It seems like when streaming locally through the chrome tab there's some encoding going on. With the app there's none of that. He said it makes it so chrome is basically a web server instead. That's the one reason I'm waiting for the SDK to come out so that can be released.

Tracking for my chromecast is saying thursday. I don't see it taking that long though since it's only a few hours away driving. They are using that smart post thing so it's no 100% on like regular UPS tracking. Hoping for Monday or Tuesday.

jayb

So is this just Netflix and YouTube now for the most part?

Just wondering how to get the most out of my new toy.

For iOS, yes. Android's music and movies app is also compatible.

And then there's of course chrome tab casting from a PC.

Ptaaty

mine shipped and I don't even want it.

I already have full blown HTPCs for each TV, all networked by ethernet.

Oh well, looks like I can make a couple bucks off ebay.

3phemeral

Anyone got this working using their phone's tethering as an internet connection?

Tried after several attempts on my Nexus to finally get this thing recognized but after that, the Chromecast connects to my network but no device can actually see it, so I can't cast anything to it. On XDA, someone mentioned they were able to get it working by not changing the ChromecastXXXX name, but that doesn't work either. You'll get a momentary connection where the chromecast button will pop up on Youtube, but it just disappears after a while, even when the chromecast is connected.

Must be something wrong with the way the GNex handles tethering.

rinker

Just got mine today. Netflix and Youtube work great, but the Cast to Tab wasn't working too well for what I tried. When watching streaming video there was a drop in framerate and a very noticeable audio lag.

Anyone else seen this and been able to figure something out?

sangreal

Just got mine today. Netflix and Youtube work great, but the Cast to Tab wasn't working too well for what I tried. When watching streaming video there was a drop in framerate and a very noticeable audio lag.

Anyone else seen this and been able to figure something out?

It pretty much depends entirely on your PC specs. I wouldn't rely on the tab casting for anything

Cartman86

Banned
I didn't know I could play locally stored content from Chrome. I'll have to look into this.

The Chrome tab streaming is not good enough for video. You won't want to use it for that. Not until it gets better (if it does). That being said when Google opens up the app store to the awesome apps people have already made (and HBO etc get their apps supporting it) you will be able to stream all your local files in native quality.

Zozz

Banned
Wonder if this will work well with the NFL Sunday Ticket PC or mobile access. Be nice if it was supported. Thoughts?

Do you know if there a dedicated player for the Sunday Ticket? or can it be done watched in a browser?

I'm about to purchase it and I'd like to know.

Petrie

Banned
Do you know if there a dedicated player for the Sunday Ticket? or can it be done watched in a browser?

I'm about to purchase it and I'd like to know.

I've never had it because of no Direct TV. Hopefully someone else experienced with it can answer, as it'd be a hit at my house for sure.

Chris R

So I tested this out some yesterday, so nice :D

Just wish more things supported it right now but they will come. Also wish I could set youtube quality

FinKL

So I tested this out some yesterday, so nice :D

Just wish more things supported it right now but they will come. Also wish I could set youtube quality

It defaults to highest quality I though?

I had a problem the other day while LANing. Was tab casting Rhapsody for some music to my TV and after so many minutes, the Chromecast will go to the ready to Cast screen and I won't have a recognizable Chromecast in my Chrome tab. Not sure what's up, probably since tab casting is still beta :(

Chris R

It defaults to highest quality I though?

I had a problem the other day while LANing. Was tab casting Rhapsody for some music to my TV and after so many minutes, the Chromecast will go to the ready to Cast screen and I won't have a recognizable Chromecast in my Chrome tab. Not sure what's up, probably since tab casting is still beta :(

It does default to the highest quality, I just prefer to watch things on youtube in 480p or 720p instead of 1080p (bandwidth caps suck!)

Downhome

Something is going on here on my end. I can't stream anything from the browser properly any more for some reason. Not videos I have downloaded, not sites like Ustream, nothing like that. It works for a second then the video freezes while the audio actually continues on. Have they updated something or is something screwed up on my end?

It was working just perfectly up until a few days ago or so.

You need a really good pc or use standard streaming to get tab streaming to work well. The tab sharing does not work for browsing it works well for video

Downhome

You need a really good pc or use standard streaming to get tab streaming to work well. The tab sharing does not work for browsing it works well for video

My laptop is fine, it was working beautifully before. I just tried using both Netflix and YouTube proper and those aren't working right either now. It is working just fine from my iPhone though. Ugh, now to figure out just what changed on my laptop to screw it all up.

Anyone else got a clue?

thespot84

My laptop is fine, it was working beautifully before. I just tried using both Netflix and YouTube proper and those aren't working right either now. It is working just fine from my iPhone though. Ugh, now to figure out just what changed on my laptop to screw it all up.

Anyone else got a clue?

how are you connected with your laptop? Wired/Wireless? Is the router dual band?

Downhome

how are you connected with your laptop? Wired/Wireless? Is the router dual band?

I figured it out, but thanks for the willingness to help me out!

Just for future reference for anyone else that runs into this...

My laptop has switchable graphics. It looks like laptops, or my laptop at least, must be in the High-performance GPU mode for it to work properly at all. I didn't realize that I was in Power-saving GPU mode when I tried before. So yeah, if you have switchable graphics, and you have weird problems with Chromecast out of the blue just make sure that you switch it back over to High-performance GPU. That totally fixed my problem.

I am back being able to stream pretty much anything I throw at it!

My laptop has switchable graphics. It looks like laptops, or my laptop at least, must be in the High-performance GPU mode for it to work properly at all. I didn't realize that I was in Power-saving GPU mode when I tried before. So yeah, if you have switchable graphics, and you have weird problems with Chromecast out of the blue just make sure that you switch it back over to High-performance GPU. That totally fixed my problem.

Ah I didnt know that. thanks

Cr0wn0

Thanks for posting this! Will be interesting to see how big a difference this makes!

Downhome

No problem! I alsoad a super quick YouTube video of what I did since I know a lot of people like me search for problems on there as well. I hope it at least helps someone else inu exact situation, lol.

Dunlop

Damn how did I not hear about this?
Yet another Google product not being available in Canada is starting to erode my Google love

Any Canadians gaffers find a way to get it?

popeutlal

Yup that was it...can't believe I missed that! Haha thanks.

yyzjohn

Banned
Damn how did I not hear about this?
Yet another Google product not being available in Canada is starting to erode my Google love

Any Canadians gaffers find a way to get it?

Cousin in LA bought me one on day 1 (I was texting him like crazy since I knew they would sell out fast). He's coming to visit in a few weeks and is bringing it to me.

yyzjohn

Banned
On a Canadian note, anyone in Canada able to get the U.S. Netflix content? I know there's a way to get your router to re-direct traffic to and from a device on your network to U.S. IP addresses but I haven't got a clue how to set it up. I'm willing to flash DD-WRT on my router since I know it lets you do fancy scripting and stuff, but I don't know the actual scripts I would use to accomplish this. Anyone ever done this?

sca2511

On a Canadian note, anyone in Canada able to get the U.S. Netflix content? I know there's a way to get your router to re-direct traffic to and from a device on your network to U.S. IP addresses but I haven't got a clue how to set it up. I'm willing to flash DD-WRT on my router since I know it lets you do fancy scripting and stuff, but I don't know the actual scripts I would use to accomplish this. Anyone ever done this?

I'd assume you'd have to get a US IP via VPN.

CzarTim

Does anyone else have the problem where the Chromecast will randomly lose connection? All my devices say "No Chromecast found" despite the Chromecast saying it's connected and ready to stream.

It will work for a little bit, then cut off. Router firmware is up-to-date. Unplugging and replugging it seems to fix it (using the wall outlet), but it's annoying!

Top Bottom