• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chromecast |OT|

kaskade

I definitely like the product, it's going to be really nice when the SDK is officially out and we can get some more support. Really nice just being able to cast youtube videos to the TV though. Especially since sometimes there's some longer ones now and it's a bit nicer to have it up on the TV then play on my laptop or ipad.

Bonus points for having really nice packaging.

Gethrow

Neo Member
Has anybody had the CEC function on their Chromecast stop working? Yesterday it would turn on my TV and switch inputs without a problem, now neither work.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I definitely like the product, it's going to be really nice when the SDK is officially out and we can get some more support. Really nice just being able to cast youtube videos to the TV though. Especially since sometimes there's some longer ones now and it's a bit nicer to have it up on the TV then play on my laptop or ipad.

Bonus points for having really nice packaging.
Yeah I am really liking it. I have multiple ways of watching stuff on my TV: smart TV, HTPC, DLNA, but 90% of the time I first find the stuff on my phone or laptop, so it is so easy to just send it to the TV.

atomsk

Party Pooper
amazon back to telling me aug 21st, so my timeline has been like

>order it
>"we don't know"
>aug 21st
>LATE OCTOBER
>whoops, that's wrong, we actually still don't know
>aug 21st

anybody looking for a Chromecast in South Florida there is a shipment at Best Buy in Davie on University drive that just came in I got one myself

Any nice gaffer feel like picking me up one? I want one, just not for ebay price gouge/waiting for whenever they release them in Australia.

Downhome

I just picked up a second one at my local Best Buy. I noticed on the website it said "in store only" so I called and long story short they had two. They were not on the shelf, but instead in the "return bin". My guess is that someone bought them, kept the Netflix code, and then returned them. Both were unopened and never used. When I purchased, it did give me another Netflix code as well, so that is still active in Best Buy stores unless these are from the first batch and there is a special UPC code for that. I tried to use it again on my account, and it was going to let me, but it says for me to wait until my current three free months expire before entering the code again, so that's what I'm going to do now.

Anyway, if you notice on the site it says "in store only" and you go in and you don't see it on the shelf where it should be and they can't find them, just ask them to please check the return bin.

Just a heads up!

I've already got the second one up and running in the bedroom now. Awesome!

yyzjohn

Banned
Anyone in the U.S. that can walk into a Best Buy and get one, are you willing to ship to me in Canada? I'm getting antsy to get one. Would really appreciate it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Mine shipped today, should be here tomorrow of Friday. :)

Exactly three weeks to the day after I ordered, lol.

RotBot

I just picked up a second one at my local Best Buy. I noticed on the website it said "in store only" so I called and long story short they had two. They were not on the shelf, but instead in the "return bin". My guess is that someone bought them, kept the Netflix code, and then returned them. Both were unopened and never used. When I purchased, it did give me another Netflix code as well, so that is still active in Best Buy stores unless these are from the first batch and there is a special UPC code for that. I tried to use it again on my account, and it was going to let me, but it says for me to wait until my current three free months expire before entering the code again, so that's what I'm going to do now.

Anyway, if you notice on the site it says "in store only" and you go in and you don't see it on the shelf where it should be and they can't find them, just ask them to please check the return bin.

Just a heads up!

I've already got the second one up and running in the bedroom now. Awesome!

How do you call your local Best Buy these days? They've replaced all the store numbers with a common 888 number on the website. Do you have to ask them to transfer you to a specific store?

Edit: Never mind. bestbuy.com decided to resupply today, and I ordered one online.

Played around with it for the first time yesterday. It's cool. Being able to cast Chrome tabs to the TV is fun.

My TV has YouTube and Netflix built in, so those weren't earth-shattering new advances for me. However, my TV does not have HBO Go, and since it's heavily rumored to be coming to Chromecast, that's probably the single biggest reason I bit.

Speaking of which, any new word on when HBO Go might be arriving? I hope it's soon.

Maybe I'm just missing it, but how come Google Music's web player doesn't have a Chromecast button?

I noticed this yesterday. Kind of a surprising oversight. If it's there, I certainly couldn't find it.

kaskade

I'm still liking it. Much quicker to get netflix up and running than booting up my PS3. Wonder how the PS4 app is going to be. Can't wait until the SDK is officially out so we can see more support.

Got mine today from Amazon. Really liking it. But I have a question: When I cast the chrome browser tab, the video is not shown on the TV. Is that a limitation? If so that sucks!

Streaming local video files with tab option is great. Got around an issue that UMS had.

From what i have seen so far, some formats just play the video w/o any sound. Also the framerate sucks on the TV

hmmm...I am liking it less now...hoping for more support from google and other devs

AndyD

aka andydumi
From what i have seen so far, some formats just play the video w/o any sound. Also the framerate sucks on the TV

hmmm...I am liking it less now...hoping for more support from google and other devs

Well its not meant to play youtube through PC chrome. The tabcasting is more for still tabs, not video. But I see your point.

yyzjohn

Banned
which one does it support? Even youtube video does not show up from the chrome tab.

Youtube should have it's own cast button right on the Youtube player in the website, you wouldn't use the Chrome tab to cast it.

In their presentation they showed a video playing from the Vimeo site with the chrome tab..not sure what they are using for that video playback but it looked smooth.

gutshot

Youtube should have it's own cast button right on the Youtube player in the website, you wouldn't use the Chrome tab to cast it.

In their presentation they showed a video playing from the Vimeo site with the chrome tab..not sure what they are using for that video playback but it looked smooth.

I believe it was HTML5.

jayb

Its been out a month tomorrow and I was hoping we'd have a another compatible app by now - like Pandora at least. Still loving it for my bedroom TV though.

DarkFlow

Banned
Ordered one from the play store last night. Says it should ship by the 2nd, so I'm not in a rush. Looking forward to playing with it lol.

Wow, I'm glad I just decided to randomly click this thread. If I buy a Chromecast and plug it into my television, can I play music on my phone through my surround sound speakers?

If so, then this is an instant buy from me. What does it display on the television while its playing music off my phone?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wow, I'm glad I just decided to randomly click this thread. If I buy a Chromecast and plug it into my television, can I play music on my phone through my surround sound speakers?

If so, then this is an instant buy from me. What does it display on the television while its playing music off my phone?

If you use Google Play Music, yes. Pandora is also adding support soon I believe, and there are unofficial ways to play other music.

Here's what you will see on the TV when using Google Play Music:

IMG_20130725_114749.jpg

It's important to note that your phone is not actually sending the music to the Chromecast -- it's sending a URL for it to play. Your phone can then go and do other things, you can even turn it off. (However, you need it to control the Chromecast.)

That is so cool. When you say that Pandora is adding support, all I need is the app on my phone and Chromecast will do the rest? The accessory itself is just a plug-in, right, and doesn't have any apps of its own?

I feel like I'm living in the future.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah, basically to add support for the Chromecast all an app needs to do (interface-wise) is add a Chromecast button when it detects one nearby. Like so (on the right, at the bottom):

Chromecast-Pandora.jpg

The left side is what will be casted to the TV.

Amazon finally updated the order I placed the day after release "Delivery Estimate: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - Wednesday, November 13, 2013 by 8:00pm " -_-

Vard

Can anyone confirm if DailyMotion videos play through Chromecast? For example, can I mirror DailyMotion videos via my iPhone to my TV using it, either via mobile Safari/Chrome app or the Dailymotion app?

Found conflicting reports online:
That means users can watch or display just about any online content on their TV, including from services that compete against Google's offerings, such as Vimeo, Flickr, Dailymotion or Metacafe.
source: http://www.sfchronicle.com/technolo...duces-Chromecast-streaming-device-4685475.php

versus

Even then, the number of content sources it supports is extremely limited. Chromecast can't stream videos from Amazon, Dailymotion, Hulu, or Vudu.
source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/07/25/chromecast_review/?page=2

thespot84

How did you that exactly? I couldn't get the the chromecast app to find my router when I ran it on my desktop, but it ran fine on my laptop.

ooooh setup is different. I think you have to set it up from something wifi enabled.

If it's how I think it works, during setup chromecast creates it's OWN wifi network, which you connect to with a wifi device (phone or whatever) and input the necessary info). THEN chromecast will shut that network down and connect to your home wifi network, and anything on your home network, wired or not, will be able to see it. Make sense?

ooooh setup is different. I think you have to set it up from something wifi enabled.

If it's how I think it works, during setup chromecast creates it's OWN wifi network, which you connect to with a wifi device (phone or whatever) and input the necessary info). THEN chromecast will shut that network down and connect to your home wifi network, and anything on your home network, wired or not, will be able to see it. Make sense?

Looks like you're right.. I just checked the chrome icon on my browser and my chromecast was picked up. So yup, I just had to set it up via a wireless device then I can use it via desktop.

rc213

Can anyone confirm if DailyMotion videos play through Chromecast? For example, can I mirror DailyMotion videos via my iPhone to my TV using it, either via mobile Safari/Chrome app or the Dailymotion app?

Found conflicting reports online:

source: http://www.sfchronicle.com/technolo...duces-Chromecast-streaming-device-4685475.php

versus

source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/07/25/chromecast_review/?page=2

First quote is talking about casting that content from a tab with chrome on your laptop/desktop. Second quote is talking about those sites not having chromecast support built in yet. No one knows who will add support yet.

RedAssedApe

Banned
are harmony remotes able to control the chromecast like you can with apple tvs?

i know chromecast uses hdmi-cec but most harmonys tell you to disable this.

Top Bottom