• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chromecast |OT|

DarkFlow

Banned
Has anyone else ordered from the play? I ordered it 3 days ago, and it still says processing even though they already took my money. Says on the ordering page they would ship by the 2nd of September so I'm not worried about that. Just wondering how long it will say in processing limbo.

bob page

https://plus.google.com/110558071969009568835/posts/ZeHgRXS6AZs
Heads up. Google's latest Chromecast update intentionally breaks AllCast. They disabled 'video_playback' support from the ChromeCast application.

Given that this is the second time they've purposefully removed/disabled[1] the ability to play media from external sources, it confirms some of my suspicions that I have had about the Chromecast developer program:
The policy seems to be a heavy handed approach, where only approved content will be played through the device. The Chromecast will probably not be indie developer friendly. The Google TV team will likely only whitelist media companies.

I'd strongly suggest holding off on buying a Chromecast until we can see how Google chooses to move forward on third party applications. There are also other (open) platforms and stacks that one could buy/support as well. (LeapCast, NodeCast, etc)

:(

thespot84

Unfortunately management at the content companies are fossils and won't sign on to open systems. Certainly there's workarounds to watch stuff on other systems, but without google presenting chromecast to content providers as a walled garden of sorts there will be no buy in. It's the same reason HTML took longer than it should have to take off, Netflix uses silverlight, etc etc.

yyzjohn

Banned
For Canadians, Amazon.com seems to accept a Canadian shipping address now for Chromecast. I tried ordering one when it was first announced and of course I got the "unable to ship to your address" message but now I'm able to do it. Keep in mind it's sold out so there's no shipping date or anything but at least it let me order.

Dizzan

MINI Member
I purchased one from eBay. I'm part of the problem as I paid 90 bucks Australian.

Anyway, I'm kind of disappointed there is no Google+ support. I want my photos on the big screen. Seems ridiculous that there is no support for this. Has there been mention of possible future support?

yyzjohn

Banned
I purchased one from eBay. I'm part of the problem as I paid 90 bucks Australian.

Anyway, I'm kind of disappointed there is no Google+ support. I want my photos on the big screen. Seems ridiculous that there is no support for this. Has there been mention of possible future support?

Google promised future apps to be made available, I think it's a no brainer that they'd make their own apps Chromecast compatible so you can expect Google+ photo support. Remember as well the SDK is still in beta so once that's officially released other app makers can offer supported apps as well (Pandora etc)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Oh snap, that BB link includes free Netflix too. Free shipping too?

Ordering from BB since Google Play shipped to the wrong place and now I don't know where the hell it is. When it gets here I'll just pawn it off on a family member or something.

sangreal

Just remember you can't stack any netflix offers, even if they aren't from chromecast and this offer expires 12/31. I couldn't stack it with my "LG" free year

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
That's fine, if the GPlay one still has it that'll be a nice bonus to whoever I give it to.

sangreal

That's fine, if the GPlay one still has it that'll be a nice bonus to whoever I give it to.

I think only Amazon dropped it, but I'd be curious to hear from people that bought from Amazon after the cutoff date and got their units. I got my first amazon CC and the netflix code, and I got an email for my post-cutoff order saying they would send me the code. I guess I'll find out in a few days. Seems strange that Bestbuy is still giving out codes and not Netflix

alba

Little is the new Big
Apparently they're back in stock in certain Best buys (any around me are all sold out). It sucks I didn't have the money to get it when it was first released, placed my order yesterday on Amazon and I'm just going to wait now, grrr :O

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Hey quick question. Can I move this around to different TV's in my house? If I do so will it need to be set up again each time I do?

TommyT

Saw something happen I didn't know could... I casted youtube from my phone before switching the TV input to Chromecast, and it switched automatically!

DarkFlow

Banned
I'm still waiting on my playstore order... fucking google. I might just cancel and take my chances with best buy. It's annoying watching people get them when they order the same day.

alba

Little is the new Big
Welp, best buy close to here got them back in stock, might cancel my Amazon one and go grab one there tonight.

zewone

My Best Buy order from yesterday already shipped and I've already applied the 3 month Netflix code to my account.

Very stoked to try this product out.

Mine shipped this morning from Best Buy via UPS and the tracking number still doesn't work. I've always had UPS tracking numbers start with 1Z but this one just starts with a 9. Has anyone else had trouble with Best Buy's shipping?

Top Bottom