• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chromecast |OT|

rc213

Mine shipped this morning from Best Buy via UPS and the tracking number still doesn't work. I've always had UPS tracking numbers start with 1Z but this one just starts with a 9. Has anyone else had trouble with Best Buy's shipping?

Might UPS el cheapo service where they get the package to your city then hand it over to USPS which has tracking numbers that start with a 9

Talon

Mine shipped this morning from Best Buy via UPS and the tracking number still doesn't work. I've always had UPS tracking numbers start with 1Z but this one just starts with a 9. Has anyone else had trouble with Best Buy's shipping?
It's a SmartTrack, meaning it's actually USPS shipment.

bob page

Anyone need a Chromecast? I got an extra for someone in my family but it turns out they already got one. Looking for $45 shipped (cost me $38 after tax). PM me if you want it (I have numerous feedback on buy/sell).

edit: sold

CzarTim

I've had the worst luck with this thing. My first device was busted (it would lose connectivity frequently and require a hard reset to start working again). Support sent me a new one which worked great until the AC power adapter suddenly crapped out. I can still use it if it's plugged into the TV, but it's a pain in the ass. Real bummer because the device itself is great. Guess I'll have to call them up again.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Got mine! Well, the second one I ordered from BB. My Google Play order is still in limbo since I didn't provide enough address information...

Ripclawe

Banned
two glorious rows of chromecasts at the store tonight, love it. Now I got one I am in da club!
xR2DSVL.jpg

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I was going to post this in the Android thread but I'm going to say it's more of a topic in here.

Chromecast has ruined everything >_>

I attempt to stream a live youtube stream to my tv via Chromecast/web browser. A message pops up saying this video can't be streamed on tv....sure I can accept that.

So I try to stream the same video stream to my google tv box and it starts. 2 seconds later, the youtube app on google tv locks up. Can't get out of it without rebooting. This has happened ever since I got Chromecast. Before, youtube worked fine on the box.

Not to mention when I try to open Netflix on my phone and tablets while on the same network as the Chromecast, Netflix crashes after loading. It took 10 tries to get the movie list up on my phone. About 20 seconds later, it crashes. If i'm on 3G or wifi away from home, Netflix works fine.

To top it off, it's suppose to be used to stream video from your computer/tablet to a tv. This only works for 10 minutes at a time. Try streaming a twitch page or ESPN 3 and the stream locks up on Chromecast 10-15 minutes later. If you do it enough times, the Chromecast actually goes nuts and loses the wifi signal until you unplug it. The phone app doesn't even recognize it.

Reason I bought Chromecast was the Chrome app for the Google TV box shits the bed when I try to load a flash video.

THIS SHIT SUCKS

Dizzan

MINI Member
Mine arrived in Australia yesterday. It's sitting at the depot so hopefully at my place tomorrow fingers crossed. Will provide impressions for the rest of ausgaf

thespot84

I was going to post this in the Android thread but I'm going to say it's more of a topic in here.

Chromecast has ruined everything >_>

I attempt to stream a live youtube stream to my tv via Chromecast/web browser. A message pops up saying this video can't be streamed on tv....sure I can accept that.

So I try to stream the same video stream to my google tv box and it starts. 2 seconds later, the youtube app on google tv locks up. Can't get out of it without rebooting. This has happened ever since I got Chromecast. Before, youtube worked fine on the box.

Not to mention when I try to open Netflix on my phone and tablets while on the same network as the Chromecast, Netflix crashes after loading. It took 10 tries to get the movie list up on my phone. About 20 seconds later, it crashes. If i'm on 3G or wifi away from home, Netflix works fine.

To top it off, it's suppose to be used to stream video from your computer/tablet to a tv. This only works for 10 minutes at a time. Try streaming a twitch page or ESPN 3 and the stream locks up on Chromecast 10-15 minutes later. If you do it enough times, the Chromecast actually goes nuts and loses the wifi signal until you unplug it. The phone app doesn't even recognize it.

Reason I bought Chromecast was the Chrome app for the Google TV box shits the bed when I try to load a flash video.

THIS SHIT SUCKS

I think you may have a bad unit

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Dizzan

MINI Member
Got mine and it works as it should which is great. Finally, a decent streaming solution from Google.

Mine works plugged into USB on the TV which is great. Only problem is that I need a power adapter as I am in Australia and we have kangaroos that run on treadmills for our power.

I only quickly checked before I ran out of the house but it didn't turn the TV when off. Not sure if my 4 or 5 year old tv has the capability but will hook up an adapter and give it a crack.

I really need to set up my receiver to output through my speakers when it is on the chromecast input and we are good to go.

Now to convince my wife to go Google from Apple...

thespot84

Got mine and it works as it should which is great. Finally, a decent streaming solution from Google.

Mine works plugged into USB on the TV which is great. Only problem is that I need a power adapter as I am in Australia and we have kangaroos that run on treadmills for our power.

I only quickly checked before I ran out of the house but it didn't turn the TV when off. Not sure if my 4 or 5 year old tv has the capability but will hook up an adapter and give it a crack.

I really need to set up my receiver to output through my speakers when it is on the chromecast input and we are good to go.

Now to convince my wife to go Google from Apple...

A lot of older HDMI tv's and receivers have CEC (or anynet or whatever the mfg calls it) you just have to turn it on in settings first.

Dragon

Banned
Just scored two at a Best Buy here in NYC. Grabbed one for a buddy. Setting up now, the guy at the register was surprised there were even two left.

Netflix won't even load on my Pixel. Just keeps crashing. =/

Netflix loads up on this Pixel just fine. It just crashes 3 out of 4 tries when trying to cast. I couldn't tell if it was my second Chromecast which I just started using or the Chromebook Pixel. It works flawless with my phone so it looks like it's the Chromebook Pixel

alba

Little is the new Big
Got mine a few days ago and set it up tonight. Works great! I wish Google didn't break AllCast though so I could stream local files but hopefully their SDK provides enough help for devs to crank something out! :)

DarkFlow

Banned
I'm still waiting for mine :/ I ordered from the play store Aug 24th, said it would ship by Sep 3rd. Well It's the 4th and it still has not shipped, And to add insult to injury, I was just going to cancel it today because best buy online had some, Nope can't cancel now.

DarkFlow

Banned
Woohoo guess they were a tad slow updating. Google shipped it today, and even threw in 2nd day air to boot to make up for it.

reKon

Banned
OK chrome cast is pretty sick...

Once we can use Koush's app, it will be way better. For now, watching YouTube is so much more convenient and now I can play/control Google music wirelessly with my nexus, HTC One, or laptop...

Deques

Just checking

Is there anyone who want to help me buy a Chromecast, and how much would it cost to send it to Sweden?

So what's Google's plan with this thing? Are they going to add more support for the 90% of stuff that does not work on this? Or allow devs to provide solutions?

I have not seen any major update to it. I love the device but a lot of stuff does not work or works half assed (video but no sound etc)

Everything advertised to work, works 100% great for me.

Yep. It was a no-brainer purchase for me due to the free Netflix, but I've ended up using it all the time.

I'm perfectly happy with what it does now, but I hope Google has an ambitious future for this and will allow more 3rd party development in the future.

kaskade

So what's Google's plan with this thing? Are they going to add more support for the 90% of stuff that does not work on this? Or allow devs to provide solutions?

I have not seen any major update to it. I love the device but a lot of stuff does not work or works half assed (video but no sound etc)

AFAIK no one can release anything (legally) until the SDK comes out. Once that is out we should start seeing a lot more sites using the app. I'm really waiting for the one that lets us stream local content. I just wish they would give us a little more info on the release date.

Right now I do enjoy the device. It's nice putting some of the longer YouTube videos up on the TV.

Yep. It was a no-brainer purchase for me due to the free Netflix, but I've ended up using it all the time.

I'm perfectly happy with what it does now, but I hope Google has an ambitious future for this and will allow more 3rd party development in the future.

I mainly just got it to be my new netflix machine, don't wanna use my release day ps3 for anything other than gaming if I don't have to. Don't wanna stress the ps3 more than it has to be. I don't want it to ever die =[ lol

sangreal

you need a pc to set this up right?

probably couldn't use it in a hotel or such?

Just wondering if anyone has tried.

you need a wireless device (pc/phone/tablet) to set it up. I see several problems with using one in a hotel:

- No support for login pages that I can see. Hotels usually make you register
- Once it is connected to a wifi network, anyone on the network can stream to it. There is no way to limit it to just your devices
- Hotel internet is always terrible for streaming video

You can probably get around the first 2 by setting up a bridged adhoc wifi network or something

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Is there a way to stream photos from my iPad or android phone to the chromecast? Just got it today and can't seem to do it, thought it was advertised to do that ;/

Is there a way to stream photos from my iPad or android phone to the chromecast? Just got it today and can't seem to do it, thought it was advertised to do that ;/

Nope, but depending on your TV, you might actually just be able to do it directly to the TV if it has any network capabilities and dlna. I found out recently I can just push pictures from my phone to the TV and it just works.

thespot84

I'm curious if this would work with my phone's wifi hotspot? Seems like there's a phone limitation with the wireless AP, the phone could host one network and connect to another, no?

you need a pc to set this up right?

probably couldn't use it in a hotel or such?

Just wondering if anyone has tried.

what you want is a phone with MHL or Slimport and a proper cable.

I'm curious if this would work with my phone's wifi hotspot? Seems like there's a phone limitation with the wireless AP, the phone could host one network and connect to another, no?

but if you had TWO phones... ;)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Plus it's a crap solution. The SDK needs to hurry up already.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Plus it's a crap solution. The SDK needs to hurry up already.

You would think that it would have shipped with that capability. In typical,l Google fashion though, they do things half added.How many employees do they have? Surely one of them would have thought it was a good idea to implement google+ support on release...

jwk94

Is there a way for me to stream to my TV but have the audio come out of my computer? I'd like to use my headphones somehow.

can you plug your headphones into the tv? red/white composite maybe, then convert to stereo mini?

Not ideal if your TV is like 8 to 10 feet away.

Off the topic a bit, LG makes a Blu Ray player that will do this where you can use your phone as an access point for the audio coming out of the player. I'm highly tempted by it.

Top Bottom