• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger DS: The |OT|

GhaleonQ

My Arms Your Hearse said:
I should note that I'm not really factoring in story into my conclusions. I don't care about the story of either game really, though Trigger is much better in that regard.

To be fair, if those 3 are the only criteria considered, most would concede music and art direction to Cross. The nice thing about Chrono Trigger acolytes is their uniform willingness to concede that Chross' music is better.

hayama987

One of the big things that pissed me off about Cross was they have 1000000 characters and then like less than 5 dual/triple techs or something stupid. I love the tech system in Trigger. Oh and the story was trash.

GhaleonQ said:
To be fair, if those 3 are the only criteria considered, most would concede music and art direction to Cross. The nice thing about Chrono Trigger acolytes is their uniform willingness to concede that Chross' music is better.

I'm not really in one "camp" or the other. I love both of them dearly. I'm just of the opinion that CC beats out CT, if only by the slimmest of margins.

And humans simply are not capable of denying the Chrono Cross OST.

hayama987 said:
One of the big things that pissed me off about Cross was they have 1000000 characters and then like less than 5 dual/triple techs or something stupid. I love the tech system in Trigger. Oh and the story was trash.

You don't have to use/recruit all of them, and the really good ones are fleshed out considerably.

CC's battle system is far more strategic than CT and there are a few bosses and encounters that will flat knock you on your ass if you aren't paying attention.

justchris

Chrono Cross is better than Chrono Trigger.

Better battle system. Better music. Better Art Direction. It's like the perfect fantasy world.

It's like the only time Gamespot has ever gotten GOTY right.

wat?

I'm not a big Akira Toriyama fan, but Chrono Trigger is one of the prettiest games ever.

Battle systems are a wash. CC is more interesting and technical, but CT still proves more fun, and is honestly more varied because of the greater use of double & triple techs. The shoddy dual tech implementation in CC was probably the second most disappointing thing about it.

You're probably right about the music, but nostalgia won't let me agree with you.

hayama987 said:
Yeah and they felt just like another character. One of the most boring stories in an RPG ever (ok a bit exaggerated due to the awesome that is CT) but the gameplay was also too easy. I came in expecting Chrono Trigger 2, I left yearning for it even more.

justchris said:
wat?

I'm not a big Akira Toriyama fan, but Chrono Trigger is one of the prettiest games ever.

Battle systems are a wash. CC is more interesting and technical, but CT still proves more fun, and is honestly more varied because of the greater use of double & triple techs. The shoddy dual tech implementation in CC was probably the second most disappointing thing about it.

You're probably right about the music, but nostalgia won't let me agree with you.

Ugh?

Chrono Cross art direction shits all over CT (and every other game).

However, I'd agree that Chrono Trigger is the better looking game (gorgeous 2d vs. shitty 3d...).

justchris

Ugh?

Chrono Cross art direction shits all over CT (and every other game).

However, I'd agree that Chrono Trigger is the better looking game (gorgeous 2d vs. shitty 3d...).

Hmmm, I'm not at home right now. I'll start up another game of CC and play for a few hours then get back to you.

Chrono Trigger is 10000000000 times easier than Chrono Cross.

For the most part, true, but CT still has a lot of pretty difficult boss battles. So does CC, and that's where it really counts. No one cares how hard it is to kill random Reptite P.

BishopLamont said:
Yeah and they felt just like another character. One of the most boring stories in an RPG ever (ok a bit exaggerated due to the awesome that is CT) but the gameplay was also too easy. I came in expecting Chrono Trigger 2, I left yearning for it even more.

Auto-heal after each battle is sooooooooo hard right? You can't fuck up something as crucial as healing in an RPG and get away with it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
muvoth.jpg

Goddammit we were so close to getting this.

BishopLamont said:
Auto-heal after each battle is sooooooooo hard right? You can't fuck up something as crucial as healing in an RPG and get away with it.

Random battles in CC are much more demanding than CT (at least on your first playthrough). Lots of games have auto-healing. These games always have significantly tougher normal battles that require you to go all out (as opposed to easier battles where the challenge lies in making it to the next save/refresh point).

And Dario >>>>>>>>>>>> anything in CT.

In 90% of random battles in CT you can just mash attack. Especially with the absurdly high critical rates (that's without some of the uber weapons and accessories... seriously, the critical rate in CT is broken).

hayama987

In terms of difficulty both games are incredible easy, and even if you only use the good characters as you suggest in CC, it doesn't invalidate the fact there are next to no combo techs. They obviously thought about them since they added a few, I just don't understand why they wouldn't take advantage of their large character cast and make a ton of combos so you have have a large variety of unique teams.

Regulus Tera said:
muvoth.jpg

Goddammit we were so close to getting this.

There's no flame war going on. And that's usually only applicable to Final Fantasy threads... which will always be full of bickering due to the nature of the series itself.

I'm only defending CC's honor! I love both of the Chrono games dearly.

hayama987 said:
In terms of difficulty both games are incredible easy, and even if you only use the good characters as you suggest in CC, it doesn't invalidate the fact there are next to no combo techs. They obviously thought about them since they added a few, I just don't understand why they wouldn't take advantage of their large character cast and make a ton of combos so you have have a large variety of unique teams.

Because combo techs simply aren't something they focused on? This isn't necessarily a bad thing either.

I also haven't suggested just using the uber characters... I only said that they actually have fleshed out backstories :p

hayama987

Then why add them at all, combo techs were a huge part of CT. Its stupid to half ass them, either do it right or don't put them in at all. I'd probably been less pissed if they went the route of having none.

justchris

To fuel the GLENN = FROG fantasy?

Which again points to SE's biggest mistake, which was calling this a sequel to Chrono Trigger.

If SE had made a game called Dimen Cross or something and not related the story in any way to Chrono Trigger or used dual techs or any obvious feature rips from CT (that pretty much being the only one they even tried with), then while it might not have sold as much, it would have received universal critical and fan praise, as opposed to the mixed reactions it gets now. Also, all Chrono Trigger threads and all Dimen Cross threads would remain pristine and on topic, since no one but the most obsessive of fanfic consipracy theorists would note any relation between the two properties.

hayama987

Don't see why, if I remember correctly its verfiyed they have nothing to do with each other? Might be wrong on that, who knows.

the frog and glenn thing that is.

vareon

There's no flame war going on. And that's usually only applicable to Final Fantasy threads... which will always be full of bickering due to the nature of the series itself.

I'm only defending CC's honor! I love both of the Chrono games dearly.

People are discussing the Trial before suddenly you came saying "Chrono Cross is better than Chrono Trigger". You were defending CC indeed, but at such an inappropriate time that the Defense Force acted against you ;)

hayama987 said:
Don't see why, if I remember correctly its verfiyed they have nothing to do with each other? Might be wrong on that, who knows.
You're wrong on that

God, I don't really want to get in to this, but CC's plot was not hard to understand. It's a direct consequence of what happened at the Undersea Palace in CT.

vareon said:
People are discussing the Trial before suddenly you came saying "Chrono Cross is better than Chrono Trigger". You were defending CC indeed, but at such an inappropriate time that the Defense Force acted against you ;)

Shots are fired on the first page!

vareon

Shots are fired on the first page!

But you're replying on page four :lol

Since this is a CT DS thread anyway, let's just discuss about CT and perhaps its connectivity, story-wise, with CC. Both are exceptional, but different, RPGs that share the same universe after all. No need to debate for the nth time which is better than which. Sorry if I derailed the thread ;)

psy18

WTF with this CC prasing in CT thread?

CC is horrible. Ok it has some nice tunes but everything else was horrible. The battle system, story, characters. Yuck. And I'm not saying this because it's so different from CT. It's just that the game... sucks....

edit: oh and the battle music. Man, I'd rather mute my tv.

ElyrionX

Better battle system. Better music. Better Art Direction. It's like the perfect fantasy world.

Uhhhh no.

justchris

Honestly, I vaguely remember there being some specific small thing you had to do that had no bearing on anything else to get all 7 jurors to declare you not guilty. I know I've done it before, but it's been more than 2 years since I was able to force myself to play the PS1 version.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
ahoyhoy said:
It seems like all you can do to get on their good side is...

1) Talk to Marle before you pick up the necklace
2) DON'T take the woman's lunch
3) DON'T try to get Marle to sell the pendent
4) Bring the little girl her kitty
5) In the trial, say that the accident was all your fault, and that you weren't tempted by her riches at all.

Maybe it's just luck after that.

6) Do NOT move when Marle wants to buy some candy.

There you have it.

psy18

Error said:
Too bad your opinion isn't a fact :(

Yeah so what? There are good RPGs and bad RPGs and IN MY OPINION CC is in the latter.
I hope that's good enough for you.

But fuck, this isn't even a CC thread. So I'll stop here.

Netto-kun

Just picked this game up. Surprised that I recieved the bonus CD with the rearranged songs, even though I didn't preorder the game.:D

Gomu Gomu

so IGN basically gave it an 8.8 just because they thought it would be better if SE remade the game in 3D ? (can't rad the whole review right now :( ).

Come on guys, an 8.8 isn't a "bad" score by any means. I'm thinking of just removing the actual scores from the OP and just linking to the reviews. Bottom line is, numbers don't really matter. Also, I'm sure there's better places to debate Cross over Trigger. I feel like it's kind of uncool to do it here since there might be people playing Trigger for the first time and they might actually look forward to playing Cross unspoiled.

zigg

NeoGAFFer said:
so IGN basically gave it an 8.8 just because they thought it would be better if SE remade the game in 3D ? (can't rad the whole review right now :( ).

No. The alt view, penned by someone who didn't play the game originally, said it looked dated. The main review was pretty much universally positive on how it looked.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler

Let's recap here.

In YOUR opinion, Chrono Cross is a better game, because in YOUR opinion it has better battle system, music and art direction, and in YOUR opinion it is the perfect fantasy.

Remember this is games we are talking about, we don't care if you like this game, but pleas, try not to impose YOUR opinion into others; Chrono Cross is (objectively) hardly a sequel to Chrono Trigger, they could have called it "Alternate Dimensions" or something like that, removed the CT references and we would have a perfect cult classic.

In MY opinion Chrono Trigger is a more enjoyable game, because I consider it has far better music, a great world and a cohesive interesting story; and I consider Chrono Cross story to be a really big mess.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
manueldelalas said:
Remember this is games we are talking about, we don't care if you like this game, but pleas, try not to impose YOUR opinion into others; Chrono Cross is (objectively) hardly a sequel to Chrono Trigger, they could have called it "Alternate Dimensions" or something like that, removed the CT references and we would have a perfect cult classic.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Objectively, the game IS a sequel to Chrono Trigger, as the plot continues from Chrono Trigger's plot and characters. SUBJECTIVELY, you think it's "hardly" a sequel because you think it doesn't mention them or follow from them enough or whatever your reasoning is.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
whatdidyousay said:
How difficult is the game? I'm dying for something to play on my DS but don't want frustration...

Easy with the exception of an optional boss (Spekkio), a boss about 2/3rds through the game (Golem Twins), and it's technically possible to choose to fight the last boss at the beginning of the game, so obviously that's tricky.

It's also not grind heavy and if you do choose to grind it goes smoothly.

Fireblend

Banned
whatdidyousay said:
How difficult is the game? I'm dying for something to play on my DS but don't want frustration...
I'd say Chrono Trigger is an easy RPG, grinding is rarely needed when I play through it and the battle system is so balances and fair it's not difficult to win with a good strategy. Compared to other SNES RPGs like FFVI, it's actually very forgiving :p Similar to Earthbound, now that I think about it. If you want, you can grind for a bit in the beginning and the rest of the game will go smoothly.

Stumpokapow said:
Easy with the exception of an optional boss (Spekkio), a boss about 2/3rds through the game (Golem Twins), and it's technically possible to choose to fight the last boss at the beginning of the game, so obviously that's tricky.

It's also not grind heavy and if you do choose to grind it goes smoothly.

Yup, I totally agree. The Golem Twins were the only bosses I ever had trouble on, and actually, that whole dungeon is kind of tricky at first, but it's optional anyway. You also can get access to some crazy good equipment late in the game which makes things easier.

Mirimar

whatdidyousay said:

No grinding is ever really involved unless you feel like you're under powered. The game itself is rather easy, but the bosses can be challenging if you don't follow follow their rules (i.e charging/counters). I am, however, hearing that the monster training part of the game can totally break the difficulty, making it a cakewalk before you're even 1/4 of the way through.

Top Bottom