• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger DS: The |OT|

Fimbulvetr said:
Love that poster, why does Marle have fire magic though? :lol
Even funnier: why do I only realize this mistake now despite having the poster hanged up on one of my walls for the last year? :lol :lol :lol

Fimbulvetr said:
Love that poster, why does Marle have fire magic though? :lol

This has been debated since 1995 when I first got the game.
I noticed it right away when first playing through the game, however I just kinda think to myself:

1) Early art when they possibly switched Lucca and Marle's elements.

2) It's not fire, its just some cool effect (Spincut) on his sword just in the art.

Or it was really a dumb mistake.

Also wondered why Marle is wearing purple and what is that thing in the snow behind her?

Also, I'm guessing that enemy is Heckran, but why are they outside in the snow? Whats the town in the background? Is that 12000BC?

Blah, again, been debated since 95. :)

Papercuts said:
It's the Frost Arc tech. You can even see how frog is crouching for crono to jump off.

Frost Arc?

Are you thinking of Arc Impulse?

Not sure if they changed it for the DS version, I havent played it yet.

Fusebox

Banned
So I'm finally up to Inner Lavos and he is one-shotting my party with his laser door attack thing! I'm using Chrono, Marlie and Lucca nd they're all around lvl 45. Do I stand a chance or do I need to go grind (ugh).

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
You could probably just shift your defensive equipment to goodies that blunt, negate, or absorb that attack's element.

Is this version buggy or known for glitches? Bought it for my GF, she loves it but she's lost the will to play after losing to a boss and upon restarting gets set back multiple save points back and with less items than she had. This happened to her twice in separate parts of the game

wrowa

Gryphter said:
Is this version buggy or known for glitches? Bought it for my GF, she loves it but she's lost the will to play after losing to a boss and upon restarting gets set back multiple save points back and with less items than she had. This happened to her twice in separate parts of the game
I haven't heard of such a bug before and didn't encounter one when I played it myself. Seems like she hast just really bad luck. Or maybe she has dumped the game to a flash cart which is causing the glitches?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I played the game 100% off a flashcart and had absolutely no issues.
Game ran just as well as always. It's always been a fantastically-crafted game.
Well, except for perhaps the PSP port, but let's ignore that.

hmm... nah, no flash cart, I bought the game from Circuit City while they were closing, I think I paid either $28 or $24 for it while it was still full price at retail. Must be bad luck, thanks guys

Fusebox

Banned
Mejilan said:
You could probably just shift your defensive equipment to goodies that blunt, negate, or absorb that attack's element.

Yeah, it'll gimp my attack a bit but I think I'll have to. Chrono seems to take the most damage from that attack so I'll work on him.

Hypnotoad

Playing this game again after only having the option of emulation, all I can say is that Chrono Trigger truly is the pinnacle of JRPGs. Nothing more, nothing less. The graphics still impress me, apart maybe from Tales of Phantasia it's the best 16-bit art of the genre, full with detail and atmosphere. One of the best soundtracks period, from Frog's Theme to Palace of Zeal it just gets the mood right at every point.

As for the gameplay and pacing? Brilliant. It's relatively short, but I'd say it works to the advantage of the game. Not a single boring moment, it keeps you going, an epic story added with little character moments and humour. And as for the setting, divided among ages, it's full of variety and wonder. As for the battle mechanics, the pretty much are perfect, boss battles provide enough challenge, a good strategy will always work, and if everything fails, grinding is done pretty fast.

Chrono Trigger, I bow before your greatness.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Has anyone played/seen this on the DSi XL? How does it look on the larger screen?

My daughter is loving DQIX and I want to get her Chrono Trigger for her next game.

Hypnotoad said:
Playing this game again after only having the option of emulation, all I can say is that Chrono Trigger truly is the pinnacle of JRPGs. Nothing more, nothing less.

no shit. 15 years have passed, and still yet nothing compares. there were a few games that came along that made me think, damn, Chrono Trigger might actually finally get dethroned. but here we are.

Boney

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
Has anyone played/seen this on the DSi XL? How does it look on the larger screen?

My daughter is loving DQIX and I want to get her Chrono Trigger for her next game.
It should look great right?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
DenogginizerOS said:

I haven't played it on XL but I'd warn you that the FMVs are reallllly poorly encoded and that's only going to be an issue with the pixel size being bigger, so maybe encourage her to play it with the FMVs off if she's old enough that she'd understand what you mean :p

Of course, if she's playing DQ9 I'd assume she is!

vazel

Banned
Is that those gashapon things? I may get a couple for my desk. They all look neat so wouldn't mind which ones I get.

flake

vazel said:
Is that those gashapon things? I may get a couple for my desk. They all look neat so wouldn't mind which ones I get.

Yeah, I think their all great, with the Chrono/Marle one being the least favourable

Hypnotoad said:
Playing this game again after only having the option of emulation, all I can say is that Chrono Trigger truly is the pinnacle of JRPGs. Nothing more, nothing less. The graphics still impress me, apart maybe from Tales of Phantasia it's the best 16-bit art of the genre, full with detail and atmosphere. One of the best soundtracks period, from Frog's Theme to Palace of Zeal it just gets the mood right at every point.

As for the gameplay and pacing? Brilliant. It's relatively short, but I'd say it works to the advantage of the game. Not a single boring moment, it keeps you going, an epic story added with little character moments and humour. And as for the setting, divided among ages, it's full of variety and wonder. As for the battle mechanics, the pretty much are perfect, boss battles provide enough challenge, a good strategy will always work, and if everything fails, grinding is done pretty fast.

Chrono Trigger, I bow before your greatness.

Agree with this 100%

MrDaravon

My box of the CT figures showed up today, they're fucking awesome.

Cocopjojo said:
Same figures over at Entertainment Earth?

They don't come out 'til October, though. And where's the Chrono/Marle one?

Those are definitely the same figures. Either that site is way off base, or they may be doing some kind of box set domestic release. S-E did that with one of the recent Final Fantasy Kai figure sets, where they were released gashapon in Japan but as a single box in the US. I think the US box set might also have been missing a figure or two, so there might be something similar happening here if that is the case.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Sailor, you ordered them from PlayAsia? Did you order five and did you get all five different ones?

MrDaravon

Cocopjojo said:
Sailor, you ordered them from PlayAsia? Did you order five and did you get all five different ones?

Yeah I got them from P-A. Like with most gashapons, if you order a case (in this case 6) it guarantees you get a full set plus usually some number of duplicates or secret figures (if there are any, which there are not in this case). So yeah there was one duplicate, but it guarantees that you get all of the figures. P-A, NCSX and most other reputable sites will usually state clearly in the description how many you need to order to get a factory sealed case.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
LevityNYC said:
Perhaps I am wrong, but isn't Play-Asia out of stock?
Haha, wow, it is now. It was in stock when I purchased my set of six earlier (for $75 like Sailor said). Perhaps I bought the last six?

LevityNYC

Banned
Definitely must have. I saw this thread about an hour ago and they were out of stock. Went on ebay and bought the last one from this seller.

Just beat this game for the first time. Not a big fan of Turn Based RPG to say the least, but I really enjoyed this. Great story, great characters, simple battle system, and EXCELLENT music. I have to admit the end felt a bit too "Grindy" for my tastes, and that held up my completion for a couple of days, but the ending was worth it. Great game.

Net_Wrecker said:
Just beat this game for the first time. Not a big fan of Turn Based RPG to say the least, but I really enjoyed this. Great story, great characters, simple battle system, and EXCELLENT music. I have to admit the end felt a bit too "Grindy" for my tastes, and that held up my completion for a couple of days, but the ending was worth it. Great game.

Now go back and get all the other endings!

only ending #3 is really worth it though the others are amusing in their own way

Little Green Yoda said:
Now go back and get all the other endings!

only ending #3 is really worth it though the others are amusing in their own way

I'm taking a break for now. Believe me when I tell you I haven't played anything turn based since Pokemon Silver 10 years ago. Just finishing this has probably filled my turn based cup for another 10 years :lol I'll go back to do alternate endings eventually though, if only to hear the music again.

Lothars

I finally decided to pick up a copy of Chrono Trigger DS for myself and I love it.

It's fantastic as always, still one of my favorite games of all time, It's amazing how much I still remember of this game.

Stumpokapow said:
I haven't played it on XL but I'd warn you that the FMVs are reallllly poorly encoded and that's only going to be an issue with the pixel size being bigger, so maybe encourage her to play it with the FMVs off if she's old enough that she'd understand what you mean :p
OK, so I was playing this again recently, and I don't really see what you mean by the FMVs being poorly encoded. I wasn't able to notice any artifacts or anything...

Aexact

I finished this pretty recently and had a grand nostalgia trip. The tweaks to the translation were minimal but welcome, particularly to how Frog and Magus talk, the former losing the faux Olde English and gaining a formal antiquity and the latter less colloquial. The optimism and sense of adventure in running around timelines to change the world for the better in ways big and small just puts you in a good mood.

The extras though were rather drab. The Lost Sanctum and the Dimensional Vortex were akin to if you turned Chrono Trigger into a dungeon crawler with palette swap enemies filled with fetch quests that do very little to disguise that they are fetch quests. The new dungeons really liked using the unseen, hidden passage through a solid black wall design that isn't especially endearing either.

I'm somewhat glad they didn't try to make Frog's new item a weapon stronger then his story-based legendary sword but in terms of endgame, he kinda gets shafted, given the powerful exclusive equipment everyone else gets.

The new extra ending annoyed me but that's a personal thing.

TheYanger

Aexact said:
I finished this pretty recently and had a grand nostalgia trip. The tweaks to the translation were minimal but welcome, particularly to how Frog and Magus talk, the former losing the faux Olde English and gaining a formal antiquity and the latter less colloquial. The optimism and sense of adventure in running around timelines to change the world for the better in ways big and small just puts you in a good mood.

The extras though were rather drab. The Lost Sanctum and the Dimensional Vortex were akin to if you turned Chrono Trigger into a dungeon crawler with palette swap enemies filled with fetch quests that do very little to disguise that they are fetch quests. The new dungeons really liked using the unseen, hidden passage through a solid black wall design that isn't especially endearing either.

I'm somewhat glad they didn't try to make Frog's new item a weapon stronger then his story-based legendary sword but in terms of endgame, he kinda gets shafted, given the powerful exclusive equipment everyone else gets.

The new extra ending annoyed me but that's a personal thing.

I probably used to play and think about CT way too much, but Frog's attachment to the masamune was always his weakness and it used to irk me, I love the character but after the first playthrough where he's a bamf, any new game plus you run he's like always the weakest character by necessity, then by the 2nd or third run he can't keep up even after fully unlocking the power of the thing :/ Not to mention his magic being pretty bad. Sigh.

Game of the forever regardless.

Synless

momolicious said:
JW, did the game sell enough to warrant a new chrono game?
Last I read was that the sales were a "disappointment" at a few hundred thousand sales on a game that had been released several times. My guess is no.

Instro

Didnt SE say though that fans dont care about the series since it didnt sell millions, or something like that? :lol

Fuck that noise, they probably dont have the talent to make a good Chrono game anymore anyway. Maybe if we are lucky they will remake Cross for the 3DS or something.

Top Bottom