• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cincinnati braces for footage release in campus cop killing (Up: Murder charge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

x-Lundz-x

I remember you victim blaming in past race-related threads. Mind showing me where in the video there was an open alcohol container? And fleeing a traffic stop =/= pulling a gun out and holding it to the motorist's head, let alone pulling the trigger. Your post is quite baffling.

Like the very beginning of the video, he hands him a gin bottle that's clearly not full. Means it's open. Just because he has the cap on doesn't mean anything.

And how is not agreeing with your fuck all cops mentality victim blaming? I'm just stating what the video shows to me.

And he pulls his gun out and the camera goes nuts, you cannot argue he pulled it out, pointed it at his head and then purposely pulled the trigger just to murder him.

Slayven

Bwahahahahaahahahahahahaah uh no, releasing it ahead of the indictment just complicates things for the side actually trying to charge and prosecute this guy.

never seems to be an issue for any other criminal cases. I watch the news all the time and if it happens on camera they usually show it.

Enron

Banned
never seems to be an issue for any other criminal cases. I watch the news all the time and if it happens on camera they usually show it.

Except most other criminal cases aren't anywhere close to the profile of this one.

Doesn't a murder charge require that they prove intent? Don't know how they're gonna prove that if that's the case.

I was wondering this myself. Prior history with the guy? Or maybe they are just overcharging and then hoping to get the guy on a slightly lesser charge, I dunno.

The guy was about to flee, I can agree with that. He was acting suspicious, I can agree with that. It does not appear that he had an open container though. The bottle he handed the officer appears to be full and sealed, and unless I missed something, the officer never stated that he smelled alcohol or thought the man was drunk. I think it's also safe to assume that if he was drunk, we'd know by now as Blood Alcohol tests were no doubt performed on his body.

That all being said, he was not acting in a way that warranted the officer escalating the situation by pulling out his gun. And what fucking moron dives into a car that they think is about to speed off? This officer had the guys plates, and even if he thought the vehicle was stolen, he had the guys face clearly on his body camera for identification. If he had been trained to use his head, and not automatically go for the gun because a guy didn't have an ID, he would have just let the guy go.

Now certainly there are reasons that could justify him using his gun. If the guy was drunk, he poses an immediate threat to others. If he was armed, he would pose an immediate threat to others.

This guy did no pose a threat. The video makes it clear that he did not pose a threat. Yes he was acting suspiciously, but he showed no signs of violent intention.

And the problem is we have allowed "the officer may have believed there was a potential threat" to stand in for "there was a potential threat" as a reason to justify a murder. And let's not mince words, it is murder.

Doesn't a murder charge require that they prove intent? Don't know how they're gonna prove that if that's the case.

I was surprised at the murder charge. Like many of these situations, I would've expected manslaughter.

If the guy has an excellent lawyer he'll likely get away with manslaughter. In response to the other person talking about compliance; in the vast majority of the situations where someone exhibits noncompliance, no one get's killed either. In fact, despite all of the media, police shootings are relatively rare, compliant or not. The question is whether for those who were going to be shot does compliance prevent the inevitable. There isn't enough data to say either way.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
And either way the vast majority of police interactions.. people comply, and nobody is harmed.

People either have a fundamental misunderstanding of statistics or are being willfully obtuse if they think running from the police, particularly in a vehicle, is "safer" than compliance.

It can be. Like if you're unarmed and a cop pulls their gun and starts yelling "Drop your weapon!" (Or my personal favorite, "Stop reaching for my weapon.")it's a good idea to run.
And driving away from a stop is not normally advisable, but if a cop were to reach for their gun and mouth "You gon' die, nigger." then yeah, you should probably GTFO.

Log4Girlz

I didn't say it proved it.

It's evidence that shows it is likely true; you are selectively quoting and ignoring that my sentence right before that stated you claimed you couldn't "Show any evidence" of it.

I then stated in my next sentence what it would take for proof.

You can piss off if this is how this conversation is going to go. Suggesting it isn't safer to comply is dangerous as hell. I get that people are emotional and that the topic isn't something to necessarily bring up in this thread (note: I didn't bring it up), but mocking someone for claiming it's safer to comply? Ridiculous and dangerous.

Why bring up the safer to comply argument at all? These things have been happening left and right and time and again the actions taken by the victims were incredibly minor and SHOULDN'T be increasing their chances of BEING MURDERED. Just let them go man, you've got their info for fuck's sake.

Toxi

Banned
I love how we can have video of a police officer pulling out a gun and shooting an unarmed man in the face and still have people questioning whether it was murder.

Nafai1123

Banned
Guy has open container, no license plate, and no drivers license on him. And you are saying the cop has no reason to be suspicious? Come on man.

He knew he was about to get busted and got combative with the cop and then started his car. You don't start your fucking car when you are in a traffic stop with the police. That is clearly a sign that you are thinking about running.

Watching that video it's hard to tell exactly took place. To me it looks like the cop reaches for the keys because he knows the guy is about to gun it and tries to take his gun out and it went off. At the point of the gun going off the camera is going crazy so it's hard to say for certain if something happens and the gun went off or if he just pulled the trigger on purpose. This is most assuredly not a case of clear cut murder. Thankfully we have a justice system that can go through evidence and analyze things like this and bring the truth out.

If the cop straight up murdered him then he will be put away, but to me it doesn't look as clear cut as that.

A sealed bottle is not an open container.
He had a license plate.
He did not have his license, at which point the cop should've ran his name to make sure the information he was provided is correct. At no point in time should he have tried to open the car door. THAT is what escalated the situation.

Hazmat

That didn't look like gin in that gin bottle though....looked like pee.

It had definitely been opened, that's undeniably not gin in the bottle. It's not relevant to the incident, but I'm sure the defense will bring it up at trial to make him look bad.

Last I checked cops aren't supposed to just open your car door. They are supposed to ask you to get out of the vehicle.

Don't get me wrong I didn't say what he did was right. Thats where it was leading to though. Maybe he would of dragged his ass out of the car or maybe he would of asked him to get out on his own. Guess we'll never know. His body language and tone don't say "i'm going to murder you today". If this guy didn't get killed no one would say anything negative about the way the officer handled the situation up until that point. However in those 10 some seconds it just turns into the worse situation possible and.he utterly and completely fucked up and he should pay for that mistake.

riotous

Banned
I agree with part of what you're saying, but disagree with the bolded. We have no clue of the compliance or overall situation in the 25-50 million traffic tickets handed out. It entirely possible that many were handed out because of non-compliance. Or compliance did not improve or harm those situations.

True, and I thought of it while making that post. I'm assuming most of those are generally from compliance. I think it's very likely statistically true.

All I'm saying is it's pretty dangerous to start suggesting non-compliance with calmly given Police orders is the right approach. (not that anyone suggested that directly, but it's sort of where that sort of conversation leads)

The point is compliance may increase your odds of survival, but you don't know. It's a toss up. Because... people.

Right, it's no guarantee.. and that's horrifying. But that doesn't mean it's impossible to show evidence that it is safer.

IMO it's a dangerous conversation to even start having.

I've said enough on the topic and don't want to de-rail more though.

Why bring up the safer to comply argument at all? These things have been happening left and right and time and again the actions taken by the victims were incredibly minor and SHOULDN'T be increasing their chances of BEING MURDERED. Just let them go man, you've got their info for fuck's sake.

I agree; and I didn't bring it up.

PopeReal

Like the very beginning of the video, he hands him a gin bottle that's clearly not full. Means it's open. Just because he has the cap on doesn't mean anything.

And how is not agreeing with your fuck all cops mentality victim blaming? I'm just stating what the video shows to me.

And he pulls his gun out and the camera goes nuts, you cannot argue he pulled it out, pointed it at his head and then purposely pulled the trigger just to murder him.

I see while I was at work the defense has already started.

This was murder. Plain and simple. There was no reason to draw a gun and point it at the guys head. Just stop.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It's really morbidly comical how he shot the guy and then started screaming about the car dragging him.

It would have been poetic justice if he'd been run over by a car that was only moving because of a murder he committed.

NickFire

are people really trying to justify this by saying he might have been in the process of ordering him out of the car? because it looks like he blew a hole in the dude before he would have even had a chance to get out of his car

Everyone agrees the cop killed this man with no lawful reason, moral justification, etc. But some people are taking the position that its time to fight back when the police overstep their boundaries, and others, myself included, feel that creates a more significant risk of getting killed by the police and is bad advice.

In response some are claiming you are probably as likely to get killed if you don't resist as you are if you do, which statistically is simply not true, and which is easy to understand if you have the slightest understanding of our incarceration rates and sheer number of criminal cases filed in our courts each and every day they are open. Simply put, we would need millions of these killings each year for it to be as risky to comply as it is to resist.

Now some people are pointing out resistance may be the best way to effectuate change. I am skeptical, but I can understand that argument, and agree it is sound. I am skeptical because I think that will put police on greater edge, and turn the public against the resistance faster than the police. But again, its reasonable theory, unlike the suggestion that resistance poses no greater risk of death than compliance.

Edit - ok maybe some are trying to justify the shooting. All I can do is shake my head at that.

I think that it is dangerous and inappropriate to respond to a blatant murder by a police officer by talking about how compliance is less likely to get you killed. I think it is a not-so-subtle attempt to shift the blame in a situation where it's totally absurd to do so.

It's not about shifting the blame. Or it certainly wasn't in my case. It's about being real about the situation you're in. Are police officers supposed to be the good guys at all times, rational, fair and lawful at all times? Sure, but that's not the world we live in.

Getting into a confrontational situation with a cop is actually one of the most dangerous situations you can find yourself in in life.

You're dealing with someone empowered by the state to throw you in jail and/or use deadly force - to ruin your life or end it. You are also dealing with an individual that may be on his own power trip and may be in law enforcement for all the wrong reasons.

You are incredibly vulnerable when dealing with a cop - and you need to be extremely aware of that at all times. That was my only point with the whole compliance thing. Compliance or pleading - those are your only two options as I see it.

Here we go again. I never said it justified murder did I? Nothing that happened justifies the driver being killed that day.

So, let's follow this thought.

What is the point of this statement?

Not producing a license is strange don't you agree? He also gave him plenty of opportunities to look for it.

What does this being strange prove in relation to this situation? Asking it randomly is useless, so please, let me in on your thought process.

Dude come on. No one is saying it's justification. You're taking 2 separate issues and conflating them.

Please explain the point of the statement then, from your own perspective.

Nafai1123

Banned
Don't get me wrong I didn't say what he did was right. Thats where it was leading to though. Maybe he would of dragged his ass out of the car or maybe he would of asked him to get out on his own. Guess we'll never know. His body language and tone don't say "i'm going to murder you today". If this guy didn't get killed no one would say anything negative about the way the officer handled the situation up until that point. However in those 10 some seconds it just turns into the worse situation possible and.he utterly and completely fucked up and he should pay for that mistake.

We have no idea what his body language was though because we can't see him. Yeah, I don't think he was planning on murdering the driver but for all we know the drivers had bad run ins with cops before and is scared shitless of them. He certainly does not seem comfortable once the cop goes for the door and considering we haven't heard anything about illegal stuff in the car it's logical to think he's scared and not thinking straight.

My guess is Sam DuBose knew he was about to take a hit for not having his license straightened out, and he was getting ready to evade an arrest.

But he was shot in the fucking face.

It is an unconscionable reaction, and it is so disturbing that some people believe that public execution is a reasonable outcome to disobeying police orders.

Dude come on. No one is saying it's justification. You're taking 2 separate issues and conflating them.

Then why do people keep bringing it up? It's the same fucking thing with all these threads, someone comes by and makes a big post prattling on about how the victim should've been more compliant and then affixes a short "doesn't mean it's right doe" and then acts shocked when other posters ask why they put so much focus on it.

It doesn't matter.

That's what I'm trying to say. Yes, in a "perfect" world, there would be full compliance to these psychopaths we hire to "protect" us so that we don't have to worry about being murdered by them. In an actual perfect world, we wouldn't be employing these people, and there would be strict guidelines about the use of force, and there'd be serious consequences for breaking those. There also wouldn't be union protection.

However, that's not at issue here.

His compliance or non-compliance is not a factor in his murder, and people who continue to throw around this talking point are changing the conversation we should be having. I won't speak to everyone's intent here in doing this, but in other places, including our AMAZINGLY biased media, that's being done to shift the focus off police and back on the victim.

...Victim blaming.

He was murdered. That's it. Nobody needs to hear about how he should have complied. It's not relevant, especially considering COMPLIANCE CAN ALSO GET YOU SHOT.

Edit:

What Mass One said.

Why is your interpretation of what was relevant more valid than mine?

I am not interested in the nonsensical point of view that this man caused his own death by refusing to get out of the car. Don't confuse my point with another narrative.

My point is incredibly simple:

In most clashes with the police, there is an element of non-compliance. Justified or not, what you have in such scenarios is at least one irritated person, and depending on several factors, most notably the emotional stability of the one with the gun, things escalate.

The refusal to get out of the car isn't even significant when all is said and done, but non-compliance remains a factor in police clashes and that is true for many of these videos. There is always a flashpoint. What may be irrelevant to any reasonable person could be enough for an unstable individual in a uniform to pull out his sidearm. This is why some parents have the "talk" with their children. I'm just stating the obvious here, that doesn't undermine the barbarity of what we've seen in this video.

A couple things I find weird about your statement. 1st he never asked the guy to get out. So he's shit cop. 2nd your admitting that inherently as a black person your a second class human. Your asking a whole ethnicity to behave in a way as to not be at fault for being killed. Don't you think that's incredible fucked. Like he's black, he should have know to be extraordinary courteous and be aware of all local laws so he won't have a reason to be pulled over.

Yes. It's a fact that socially people are more likely to associate crime and violence with minorities, particularly those of the black community. Thus if you are black and happen to interact with the police, you should pay particular attention to how you convey yourself.

Is it right? No. But it is the reality, unfortunately and I'd rather my son not try to protest this point to a police officer where the situation to arise.

x-Lundz-x

A sealed bottle is not an open container.
He had a license plate.
He did not have his license, at which point the cop should've ran his name to make sure the information he was provided is correct. At no point in time should he have tried to open the car door. THAT is what escalated the situation.

I highly suggest you read up on open container laws. If the seal has been broken it cannot be stored near your person. It needs to be in the trunk.

He had no license plate on the front of his car which is why he was stopped in the first place.

The cops mistake was to direct him to get out of the car instead of opening the door I agree with that, but it doesn't change th fact he guy was starting his car and about to run.

Jackson

It's not about shifting the blame. Or it certainly wasn't in my case. It's about being real about the situation you're in. Are police officers supposed to be the good guys at all times, rational, fair and lawful at all times? Sure, but that's not the world we live in.

Getting into a confrontational situation with a cop is actually one of the most dangerous situations you can find yourself in in life.

You're dealing with someone empowered by the state to throw you in jail and/or use deadly force - to ruin your life or end it. You are also dealing with an individual that may be on his own power trip and may be in law enforcement for all the wrong reasons.

You are incredibly vulnerable when dealing with a cop - and you need to be extremely aware of that at all times. That was my only point with the whole compliance thing. Compliance or pleading - those are your only two options as I see it.

Yes, toward an individual (especially a non-white person) in the moment with a cop I agree with this.

But I also agree the system as a whole (from the police/prosecution/government side) is ultimately to blame and must change (which is now very slowly happening due to the awareness). Cops shouldn't be feared. But that doesn't matter when its you and a guy with a gun who might be racist, might be trigger happy, might be on a power trip. Making the situation worse for yourself by resisting does not and can not benefit you. Even if you wrestle the gun away and shoot the corrupt cop you're still in massive hot water.

But somehow this sentiment is thrown in with victim blaming or justifying the cop's actions or defending the cop.

Is it right? No. But it is the reality, unfortunately and I'd rather my son not try to protest this point to a police officer where the situation to arise.

And people are saying, "Hey, stop at the bolded part. Put the onus on law enforcement to act correctly than on the potential victims."

You can make that personal choice, rock out. I'd probably make the same one. But it does nothing to fix the problem by offering it as the solution.

This is another reason we need less guns. The cops wouldn't be so damn jumpy if they didn't have to worry about every person they pull over possibly packing heat.

You think a Brittish cop is worried about getting shot when he pulls someone over? No, the probability is so low.

Log4Girlz

Yes, toward an individual (especially a non-white person) in the moment with a cop I agree with this.

But I also agree the system as a whole (from the police/prosecution/government side) is ultimately to blame and must change (which is now very slowly happening due to the awareness). But that doesn't matter when its you and a guy with a gun who might be racist, might be trigger happy, might be on a power trip. Making the situation worse for yourself by resisting does not and can not benefit you. Even if you wrestle the gun away and shoot the corrupt cop you're still in massive hot water.

But somehow this sentiment is thrown in with victim blaming or justifying the cop's actions or defending the cop.

Everyone, let's think long and hard about why the victim did not cooperate with his murderer.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Bottle looks pretty full to me.

8SRHOgQ.png

The officer gives no indications during the encounter that he believes the man to be drunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom