• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Circumcision.. What do Evolutionary Biologists/Naturalists/Darwinists think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shredderi

I'm curious, is there any circumcised guys here that feel like their body was violated and their right was taken away?

I am not one. I honestly don't view it as that serious. It's a parent's choice.

So everything is ok as long as it was the parent's choice? Of course it's parent's choice. Ain't no baby gonna decide to get his dick cut afte rall. Also the "it's not that serious" reasoning is pretty bad. I do believe you that it isn't a big deal to you. Not arguing that. I'm arguing that it's a pretty bad reason to systematically cut out body parts because "it's not that serious".

Demoskinos

I'd say don't do it. I'm uncircumcised myself and honestly I'm glad my parents didn't choose to do that to me. If you don't have religious reasons for doing it don't do it.

People say well uncircumcised penises look weird. Guess what? All penises look weird. Also medically there are no benefits at all. To me its a baffling tradition that is rooted in some beliefs that are simply not true (like the belief that it would prevent venereal diseases)

Let your child decide when they get older.

It's one of the most irrational and disgusting things that sadly Americans are obsessed over, and all because of some crazed fuckers more than a hundred years ago were scared shitless of masturbation and thought that'd stop it. The vast, vast, absolutely majority of the world has no problems with their penises, why would an American penis be any different?

Tremis

This man does his research.
So, after reading this, it's essentially a weakly cited commentary by European physicians in an attempt to undermine the validity of the opinion of American pediatricians? Seems like a matter of choice here, then. Go with whatever your culture has raised you to believe/do.

Weakly cited or not, I think criticisms can speak for themselves. Is it really "an attempt to undermine validity"? That essentially the definition of criticism. By criticizing, you must be trying to undermine authority. There's nothing inherently wrong with doing that. The fact that you think it is wrong suggests you are putting American pediatricians up on a pedestal.

I don't think I need to remind you that there is sufficient evidence for spectacular failings of many of these grand academic publications in the past few years such as the NOAC trials in the New England Journal of Medicine.

All one has to do is take the evidence/criticism of evidence and make a decision about it.

Zutroy

The "I'm glad my parents made the choice to cut me" posts are amusing. I feel certain in saying that if they decided not to cut you, it wouldn't even cross your mind to have it done as an adult.

Necrovex

I'd say don't do it. I'm uncircumcised myself and honestly I'm glad my parents didn't choose to do that to me. If you don't have religious reasons for doing it don't do it.

People say well uncircumcised penises look weird. Guess what? All penises look weird. Also medically there are no benefits at all. To me its a baffling tradition that is rooted in some beliefs that are simply not true (like the belief that it would prevent venereal diseases)

Let your child decide when they get older.

That's untrue. As someone who worked in South Africa as a public health educator (via PEPFAR), a circumcised man had a 44-60 percent (sources ranged from this area) less chance of contracting HIV than his uncut counterpart. There are minor STI risk reductions in the process as well. There are medical reasons to get the cut.

99Luffy

Banned
Weakly cited or not, I think criticisms can speak for themselves. Is it really "an attempt to undermine validity"? That essentially the definition of criticism. By criticizing, you must be trying to undermine authority. There's nothing inherently wrong with doing that. The fact that you think it is wrong suggests you are putting American pediatricians up on a pedestal.

I don't think I need to remind you that there is sufficient evidence for spectacular failings of many of these grand academic publications in the past few years such as the NOAC trials in the New England Journal of Medicine.

All one has to do is take the evidence/criticism of evidence and make a decision about it.
All I know is, the Gates foundation has spent nearly $2 billion circumcising africa. They might be on to something..

Madness

All I know is, the Gates foundation has spent nearly $2 billion circumcising africa. They might be on to something..

Have you seen some of the tactics they have used to do it? Complete fear tactics even. Posters showing that uncircumcised men will give HIV to women. Something very off putting about it all.

If HIV and STD rates were so reduced, why does the US which has had majority circumcision rates have higher rates of STD's and STI's than Europe where Circumcision has dropped off a cliff?

boiled goose

good with gravy
Evolution will say nothing on the matter. Foreskin may be useful or a weird vestigial thing.

What matters is automatically autonomy.

It's irreversible and it only exists as a common practice because of weird religious tradition. There's no to completely negligible benefit and there are risks associated with the procedure. Why do an unnecessary procedure to such a sensitive area?

Infant abortion should be banned

If you look at the actual data, the somewhat inconclusive results only suggest a very small benefit in very hiv prevalent populations were unprotected sex is common and genital hygiene is poor.

It makes me uncomfortable to have Western non profits mutilating African infants, even with good intentions.

If genital female mutilation (not clitoris but only external labia, the equivalent of foreskin) had same marginal benefits would we do it to? Because of our bizarre religious history we somehow make weird rationalizations for male circumcision.

No, you should not alter your son's body without consent. Value his autonomy over a shitty, practically worthless procedure that the vast majority of the world doesn't partake in.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
People say well uncircumcised penises look weird. Guess what? All penises look weird.

I'm a gay man but I personally think uncut penises are lovely. The glans stays healthier looking and doesn't get that weird dried out looking skin thing going on that cut penises can. Never encountered any issues with hygiene. The STD argument is a non-issue as people should be using protection until they become monogamous and both get tested. Both cut and uncut men can contract diseases unprotected so arguing that you have a 20% chance to contract HIV rather than a 40% chance is ridiculous (numbers pulled out of thin air as the point stands regardless of the numbers); use a condom.

Also like cut penises just fine though...

But when it comes to mutilating children, I'm of the opinion that it shouldn't be done unnecessarily. I only believe in circumcision when medically necessary, such as a bad case of phimosis, or if the child grows up and decides they'd like to be cut for whatever reason. People take this subject very personally because of obvious reasons but, in the end, you are taking the choice away from your child and a part of your child's genitals away from them without their consent. It is not as far removed from other forms of genital mutilation as people act like it is. The fact it was done to you or is widely performed or accepted doesn't change that. Your child can always get circumcised later down the line, but they can never have a circumcision that was done without their consent reversed. It's just a matter of time until society looks back on this as an antiquated and barbaric practice, as many other traditions that stem from religion are or will be looked upon. It will also eventually be illegal.

finalflame

Agreed.

Carl

So some women think it looks weird?

giphy.gif

Seriously, it's how we're born. Get over it.

Exactly. it's so strange how obsessed AMERICA is with this.

Mohonky

Circumcision for women - outrage, genital mutilation!

Circumcision for men - because it looks nicer

I dont even know why its still a thing.

IISANDERII

I'm expecting a healthy baby boy soon, and there's one question we're not yet sure about...
To Circumcise, or not to Circumcise?

Now, I know the internet is a raging battleground for a war on circumcision.

I'm unsure what to think, and I can see reasons to justify either choice... I myself am circumcised, but I don't think that alone a good reason to follow through with the procedure for my son. My partner leans toward being pro-circumcision, as an older family member of hers had once said about the topic, that he wished he was, but she seems open to consideration if the evidence is there.

Anyway, I'm not looking to start another battle here. I don't care about your Mom's opinion, or Joe Schmoe's thoughts, or any given circumcised or uncircumcised dude. I've seen the general arguments from both sides.
I'm leaning against it slightly, if just because it seems like an odd thing to do to an organ that has evolved functionally to its current state after some billions of years of sexual refinement, but we also live in a drastically different age where survival/reproduction is taken for granted.. maybe there are some unnecessary relics in our history that are still with us? I'm inclined to think not.. but still..

To those of you who are familiar with natural history, biology, or are educated Darwinists and students of evolution, what are your thoughts and why? If you're knowledgeable in the opinions of teachers or other scientists, I'd also be curious to hear their thoughts or words.

Again, I think, by default, I would have to say, just leave the poor penis alone, but I want to hear the words of respected scientists and those educated about biology, evolution, and I suppose the opinions of those in medical fields could be valuable too. That's what I hope to see here. If you want to share your opinion and you wouldn't put yourself into that category, make sure you add some evidence either way.

Thanks!
I would be extremely sceptical of any American studies on circumcision. They are often very motivated to be pro circumcision and present things as medical facts while studies in Europe demonstrate they are false.

I have an arab friend who had a son and I showed him with a study which showed the pain of a circumcision, even in a newborn, can be severe enough that it can cause permanent negative effects on brain development. He decided not to circumcise.

Tremis

This man does his research.

Now that you mention this, I was hinting at the fallacy of appealling to authority in my previous message. I feel, that it applies to this comment as well.

Additionally, background rates of various illnesses affects what treatments and preventions are offered. As far as I know, the OP is not in Africa, but I'm sure they will correct me if that is the case.

Manoko

I would be extremely suspect of any American studies on circumcision. They are often very motivated to be pro circumcision and present things as medical facts while studies in Europe demonstrate they are false.

I have an arab friend who had a son and I showed him with a study which showed the pain of a circumcision, even in a newborn, can be severe enough that it can cause permanent negative effects on brain development. He decided not to circumcise.

You did a great thing.

Manoko

If you honestly think they're even comparable, then this conversation isn't even worth having.

They are, female circumcision is removing the clitoral hood (the one to one equivalent of the foreskin in males), which is far less tissue actually than the male foreskin.

He's not talking about excision, he's talking about circumcision.

Female circumcision is genital mutilation, so is male's.

Edit: sorry for the double post.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Circumcision for women - outrage, genital mutilation!

Circumcision for men - because it looks nicer

I dont even know why its still a thing.

Ironically the argument for female mutation is the same. If the clitoris is not removed, just the external labia, it's basically the equivalent anatomical alteration.

Manoko

Ironically the argument for female mutation is the same. If the clitoris is not removed, just the external labia, it's basically the equivalent anatomical alteration.

Snipping any part of young/baby girls is outrageous.
If that baby is born a boy though, no problem doing it.

Bold statement, but here it is: people are insane in how tradition/culture can cloud their judgement and make them do/think disgusting things.

manakel

They are, female circumcision is removing the clitoral hood (the one to one equivalent of the foreskin in males), which is far less tissue actually than the male foreskin.

He's not talking about excision, he's talking about circumcision.

Female circumcision is genital mutilation, so is male's.

Edit: sorry for the double post.
Health Risks of Female Mutilation

And the health risks of male circumcision at birth are pain that can last 7-10 days and.....??

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Health Risks of Female Mutilation

And the health risks of male circumcision at birth are pain that can last 7-10 days and.....??

Death?

You do know male children can die from circumcision complications, right?

A quick Google search will inform you if you were unaware.

Is that a risk you still want to take just because you want to make sure their penis looks like yours and/or adhere to tradition?

Manoko

So all of you guys in favor of circumcision, should I also circumcise my daughter when she's born ?
It would make it easier to wash, and I find covered clitoris a bit gross to be honest...

Or is that off limits ?

Anyone in favor of male circumcision actually disgusted by the rest of that post ?
Ask yourself that question: why are you so adamant in protecting a young girl's right to bodily integrity, but don't care at all for a boy's ?

And don't tell me this is different, I'm talking about the exact same procedure in both cases: circumcision, removal of foreskin/clitoral hood. Not the glans nor the clitoris.

(It pains me to write the first part of this message, but I hope you guys hear my point and it's not in vain.)

GatorBait

The "I'm glad my parents made the choice to cut me" posts are amusing. I feel certain in saying that if they decided not to cut you, it wouldn't even cross your mind to have it done as an adult.
I think it's some combination of self-confirmation bias and cognitive dissonance. I'd wager, for many circumsized men, if you were to admit that being cut isn't actually necessary, it could be seen an implicit admission that your penis might not be ideal; that a potentially unnecessary procedure was performed. As we all know, having the best penis version is of utmost importance.

Bladenic

I had to get circumcised last year. And yes, really HAD TO (and maybe had I known you could stretch tight foreskin beforehand it could've been avoided but I would rather not dwell on it...). It sucks, but that's just my life lmao.

massoluk

Banned
While studying in Thailand, when I heard that my American homeroom teacherhad a circumcised penis, I couldn't control my giggle while he had a puzzled look on his face. "Weirdo, you have your penis cut?"

It sounds absolutely absurd and laughable a tradition

Maxinas

One of the main reasons why its performed in the first place besides "tradition", is hygiene. However, unless you are outright a slob, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to clean your own dick. If your kid has a problem being uncircumcised when he's older, then he can choose to proceed with the procedure on his own terms, that's just my two cents.

Kevitivity

I have a toddler and we also researched this one a tone prior to his birth. Like others have said, there is no medical reason to circumcise.

I was born in the 70's and my mother wasn't even asked after I was born, they just did it.

Bravo to the OP for questioning this issue.

Hyun Sai

As someone who is not circumcised, I don't understand the "hygiene" concern. But really not. You think we need high pressure water to clean it ?

Geist-

I can't say I'm unhappy that my parents made the choice when I was a baby, since I think it looks better this way, but considering a not insignificant number of babies have complications during the procedure, that would be my reason against having it done.

As someone who is not circumcised, I don't understand the "hygiene" concern. But really not. You think we need high pressure water to clean it ?

Exactly. I mean I just spend about 3 liters of alcohol weekly from washing my foreskin, and I just need to scrub it with a toothbrush once every 2 days.

DrkSage

The thing about not being circumcised is that you have the best of both worlds :p

You got a hoodie for the little guy and when it's time to go you just pull it back and voyla! The pink headed soldier pops out ready for action.

Serious answer now:

Circumcision doesn't have any benefits at all.
"Bur Its more hygienic" No it's not, it's the same shit. you still have to clean your dick, circumcised or not. Don't be a pig and be rolling with a stinking dick.

Dai101

Banned
The thing about not being circumcised is that you have the best of both worlds :p

You got a hoodie for the little guy and when it's time to go you just pull it back and voyla! The pink headed soldier pops out ready for action.

Serious answer now:

Circumcision doesn't have any benefits at all.
"Bur Its more hygienic" No it's not, it's the same shit. you still have to clean your dick, circumcised or not. Don't be a pig and be rolling with a stinking dick.

For real.

Also motherfuckers talking like it was a fucking issue to clean your junk. it literally just need a second. Pull foreskin, soap, wash, DONE. Not even a fucking second.

Then again, just remembered folks over here don't even bathe. Carry on.

I am cut. The other day a girl said my penis was the "most gorgeous penis" she had ever seen. I am living in a country where circumcision is not common.

I don't see any point in circumcision. As long as it's cleaned properly there should be no hygiene issues, and a small reduced risk from STDs is not enough to not wear a condom, anyway. Plus, from personal experience, it feels good to have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom