• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Circumcision.. What do Evolutionary Biologists/Naturalists/Darwinists think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Me and my brother got health trouble for not having been circumcized early on. Especially my brother. So, imo, save him the trouble for his later life.

Should we also start removing the appendix and gallbladder and tonsils at birth then? Or maybe we should wait to have a procedure done when it becomes medically necessary, because of the risks and the fact the vast majority of people will never actually need the procedure. Those who do are the exception, not the rule.

psaman17

Banned
Comparing FGM to Circumcision is so unequivocally disingenuous. It's not 'mutilating" if for all practical intents and purposes it has no effect.

FGM on the other hand is a deeply sickening act which intentionally destroys a women ability to enjoy intercourse.
Its the textbook definition of mutilation. Its the act of removing an organ off ones body. You know what your doesnt need nipples, why dont u remove that too?

fertygo

I wish my parent do it when I'm a baby, shit leave a scar for a week when I do it at twelve

but this is modern time, whenever an consenting adult decide to doing it there is modern process that should've smooth af and leave nothing

so I'd say its pretty harmless to let your kid decide when its time.

this thread literally taught me what smegma is, so now I have to ask, do those people just not shower for a month? how the fuck do you get gunk in your dick? Like what kind of hygiene standards even create that?

If that's your reason for genital mutilation then wow

I decided not to circumcise my son. I am circumcised. He's 3 1/2 and just had his foreskin retract about half a year ago. His face when he first saw it come out was comedy gold. We pop it out of its 'home' to clean it once a day (or it gets petty rank, but really no different than a vagina), and to see how he interacts with his penis (yes, judgemental non-parents, little boys harmlessly focus a lot on their penis and there's no ignoring it), I honestly feel a tiny sense of regret having had my foreskin chopped off. I don't hate my parents for it, but I wish I could have made that decision for myself. It took a little getting used to the differences, but he's happy with it and it works just fine the way it is; I honestly think in many ways it looks much more natural and makes a lot more sense with the foreskin attached. I absolutely feel like I made the right choice.

So a bit of short term pain is the worst harm there is, don't tell me that's awful.

Wow. Did we read the same thing?

Because by saying that it's fucked up, you are effectively telling every person who has had one

1) the religious beliefs for doing it is bullshit

And/or

2) their parents are monsters for doing it to them

OK.

I need to stop posting in this thread now. I just had someone blatantly disrespect my parents (whom they don't know) to prove some point.

If I stick around, I will post some shit that will get me perm'd.

Yeah, this seems like it's more of a personal issue for you and how you feel about your parents. I can definitely understand that. Are you afraid that if you eventually disagree with circumcision, you will begin to resent your mother? Interestingly, I'm circumcised, I've come to disagree with it, and I actually am somewhat resentful that it was done. Speaking to my mom about it, it sounds like if she had to do it over, she wouldn't. But I'm not mad at her - she acted on the information given to her by her doctor.

xelios

I think there's a misunderstanding by a lot of cut guys that their penises are being attacked or insulted. That's not it at all. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having, wanting or liking the look of a cut penis, if you make the decision yourself. The point is someone else should not be able to make that decision for you, unless absolutely medically necessary.

I think there's a misunderstanding by a lot of cut guys that their penises are being attacked or insulted. That's not it at all. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having, wanting or liking the look of a cut penis, if you make the decision yourself. The point is someone else should not be able to make that decision for you, unless absolutely medically necessary.

I agree. Some people literally split their dicks in half or into quarter sections and they still function. That doesn't mean we should let parents do that to their children simply because they think it looks better.

Streaks

I'm personally not circumcised and I'm happy for it. There are a ridiculous amount of myths I'm sure you've seen throughout this thread, of which I stopped reading after the first page. Honestly, if your son starts touching it and does natural stuff with it at an early age(which is expected), he'll be fine. Cleaning it is a breeze and pulling the foreskin back will become natural. Also from what I understand, the sex is more enjoyable for both parties with foreskin intact ;) Circumcised men may last longer in bed but the sensation for both a woman and a man is greater with foreskin action. Circumcisions may actually lead to partial Erectile Disfunction as well due to the lost sensitivity and cut nerve endings. You won't have to deal with his complaints about that later in life but still...let nature takes its path.

It's actually quite barbaric if you think about it. We laugh at traditions found in some tribes but this is just as bad if not worse than things you've seen. You literally cut the babies penis for no reason at all.

kyser73

Unless there's a medical reason for it, conducting an invasive procedure on a person unable to give informed consent is deeply unethical.

Conducting what amounts to elective cosmetic surgery on an infant is wrong.

The Lamp

this thread literally taught me what smegma is, so now I have to ask, do those people just not shower for a month? how the fuck do you get gunk in your dick? Like what kind of hygiene standards even create that?

If that's your reason for genital mutilation then wow

Nobody who showers and washes their foreskin has smegma problems. It's a boogie-man circumcised people fear because they have no clue what it's like to have a foreskin.

The foreskin makes sex extremely pleasurable and it would be sad to not have it. If you can keep it, why not? Any surgery comes with risk, anyway. And I think it's unethical to perform cosmetic procedures on infants without their consent.

I'm uncircumcised, but my boyfriend is, and now that he's with a man who is uncircumcised and he knows how it works, he's a little sad that he was circumcised without permission as an infant.

SMattera

Unless there's a medical reason for it, conducting an invasive procedure on a person unable to give informed consent is deeply unethical.

Conducting what amounts to elective cosmetic surgery on an infant is wrong.

It's absolutely stunning that anyone could disagree with this line of reasoning.

Word.

Ignoring the real historical origin of this procedure (which is still largely unclear iirc), for the longest time in human history this has only been done due to religious reasons.

EVERYTHING you do because of religion is stupid.

my2cent

btw.: What's with these "looks gross" comments? Is it just the circumcised people hating? I don't get it. People make it out to be like you have an abomination between your legs if your uncut and a delicate flower if you are. WHAT? o_O

kingkaiser

The real question here is, do you want your boy to be one of those shooting after one minute or an enduring stud once he becomes an adult?

Cyanity

Banned
Came in here expecting a concensus, but it turns out that a lot of Gaffers are into involuntary genital mutilation. Cool.

I want my foreskin back

My parents did so for religious reasons.

Are you saying my parents are fucked up?

Yes, and so aren't mine. It's completely fucked up to mutilate your kid's genitals against their will. Should be illegal.

massoluk

Banned
Christianity swore off circumcision for hundred of years and only became fashionable again in early 20th century because some dude really really wanted people to stop masturbating, so the religious argument doesn't hold much substance to me anyway.

The real question here is, do you want your boy to be one of those shooting after one minute or an enduring stud once he becomes an adult?

Whyyyyyy are you so insecure?

I also feel like there's a correlation between hyper-masculine compensating avatars and anti-foreskin posts.

The Lamp

Ignoring the real historical origin of this procedure (which is still largely unclear iirc), for the longest time in human history this has only been done due to religious reasons.

EVERYTHING you do because of religion is stupid.

my2cent

btw.: What's with these "looks gross" comments? Is it just the circumcised people hating? I don't get it. People make it out to be like you have an abomination between your legs if your uncut and a delicate flower if you are. WHAT? o_O

It's textbook prejudice because it's something they're not used to seeing. Like when native tribes think outsiders look funny, except with this it is more defensive and belligerent. There's nothing bizarre about the penis in its natural state more than the usual variety of ways a penis can look naturally. Outside of the US, Israel, and Australia, a circumcised penis is probably rather exotic.

Look up the dictionary definition of mutilation. It is absolutely mutilation. You are forever removing part of a healthy organ.

Dictionary definition arguments, perfect. Words have arbitrary meanings and within those meanings there is room for difference, but sure if you think Circumcision is mutilation good on ya. I just also imagine you believe slapping someone is a war crime.

SMattera

Dictionary definition arguments, perfect. Words have arbitrary meanings and within those meanings there is room for difference, but sure if you think Circumcision is mutilation good on ya. I just also imagine you believe slapping someone is a war crime.

You're literally arguing in favor of cutting off part of an infant baby's healthy penis.

Just think about that for a few minutes.

Grug

I personally don't resent my parents getting me circumcised but I didn't consider doing it to my son for a second. It's forced mutilation of someone who is unable to give consent no matter what religious, cultural, aesthetic or medical justifications you put up.

Cyanity

Banned

If I grabbed a boxcutter and some antiseptic and removed all of your fingernails against your will, because "dirt can get under there and get you sick! Also, doctors don't dispute this fact.", would you consider that mutilation?

I mean, you can totally exist without your fingernails. We're just doing you a favor.

I was circumcised at birth, don't think much about it. Still, would be nice to actually had the choice as I've learned later in my life it was supposed to be naturally sheathed and somehow more sensitive to which I can never now experience. -shrug-

I personally don't resent my parents getting me circumcised but I didn't consider doing it to my son for a second. It's forced mutilation of someone who is unable to give consent no matter what religious, cultural, aesthetic or medical justifications you put up.

For clarification this is pretty much my viewpoint. I don't resent my folks for agreeing/allowing the circumcision to happen to myself, but I don't believe I'll do upon my future children if I were to have any.

i wonder which is higher

- the percentage of uncircumcised guys who wish they were cut, but are afraid to get it done

- the percentage of circumcised guy who wish they could get it reversed

TBiddy

How is it not mutilation?

If I grabbed a boxcutter and some antiseptic and removed all of your fingernails against your will, because "dirt can get under there and get you sick! Also, doctors don't dispute this fact.", would you consider that mutilation?

I mean, you can totally exist without your fingernails. We're just doing you a favor.

finger nails have a function. this post does not do good things for your argument.

xelios

finger nails have a function. this post does not do good things for your argument.

Foreskin has a function too, in that it has nerve endings in it for sexual pleasure. It also protects the glans and keeps it from drying out.

i wonder which is higher

- the percentage of uncircumcised guys who wish they were cut, but are afraid to get it done

- the percentage of circumcised guy who wish they could get it reversed

No idea but only the first group actually has any chance of it happening. The second group is just fucked.

Gun Animal

oh hey i remember you from the last thread! You really have a big emotional investment in making sure people cut up their kid's dicks, huh?

Cyanity

Banned

You're right. We'll have to schedule regular nail cullings in order to prevent them from growing back, but it will work. Gotta keep those hands clean!

edit - while we're at it, let's pull everyone's teeth out because there's a chance someone might not brush, and we all know how bad cavities can be, right?

Gun Animal

You're right. We'll have to schedule regular nail cullings in order to prevent them from growing back, but it will work. Gotta keep those hands clean!

edit - while we're at it, let's pull everyone's teeth out because there's a chance someone might not brush, and we all know how bad cavities are, right?

double mastectomies at birth to prevent breast cancer. IT'S THE ONLY WAY.

BaasRed

Banned
It seems like your choices don't really have heavy consequences here. If you dont circumcise him, make sure to clean it out and teach him the same. If you do circumcise him, get a doctor you trust to be careful and not fuck it up and make it as painless as possible for him. He's gonna be in pain for a while but you can comfort him in that time. Either way, discuss more with your wife about this; it's a choice you make together. 😄

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
My parents did so for religious reasons.

Are you saying my parents are fucked up?

No, but I would say that the actions they undertook were somewhat fucked up, ignorant, or ill-informed. I'm sure they were just going on what they thought was the best course of action at the time, however misguided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom