• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gr8one

Again: why does my incinerator not send out all harbage trucks! ? Why does it struggle to get past like 4?

The service AI needs a lot of work, especially the pathing, right now it sends service vehicles to the farthest possible places. I leave my game running overnight to get a ton of money for highway projects, and because RCI demand plumets after 200k pop so it takes a while to get any growth in your city. After leaving the game running overnight woke up to see this...

16886715701_27048a27e2_o.jpg

That's not a one way at the very bottom, I laughed and then I cried a bit. I'm just glad the whole industrial district didn't burn down. Another area of town was almost completely abandoned because of a death wave that my crematoriums couldn't handle with their bad pathing.

TheMoon

It's actually kinda dull looking. Its relatively flat, and high density everything leads to a lot identical skyscrapers. The map is always cloudy and foggy too which adds to the drab scenery. To manage traffic I have a whole spaghetti network of frontage roads, I hadn't learned the ways of the roundabout until my 9th map tile, but they worked. it's really smoggy so the sun shafts mod is useless but here's some pics anyway,

I kinda love the spaghetti bridges.

Oh and I made a corny ass looking stereotypical dystopian futurefied version of Derpville! :)

:D

holy shit. all of a sudden a majority of my city has gotten sick within 10min. 1000s dying. i raised the health budget to max and built more hospitals but the issue hasn't been getting better after a little while, so I quit. I had it saved last shortly before the mass sickness. What can I do to prevent this from happening again?

Vek

holy shit. all of a sudden a majority of my city has gotten sick within 10min. 1000s dying. i raised the health budget to max and built more hospitals but the issue hasn't been getting better after a little while, so I quit. I had it saved last shortly before the mass sickness. What can I do to prevent this from happening again?
Could be an issue with pollution contaminating your water supply. Check that there's no ground/water pollution near your water towers /pumps.

Well, this is one of the incredibly few games where they would actually make sense or enrich the experience in some ways.

I'd be all over this if I was in that industry and in a big company. It's actually incredible how context works in these games. I loved Mc Donalds in SC4. It was a plopping as well, so I could plop dozens like in real cities. I eat from time to time in MD, but I'm as far away as one could from liking them and finding them cool. Yet, in city builders, I found myself plopping McD's everywhere and when simply visiting the city pausing at times staring at one of those restaurants and thinking 'How cool is that?'. Probably the only time I found Mc Donalds cool.

I'd Love to see gas stations with real names and logos, and more and more and more. KFC, etc.

This game needs more ploppables.
Cities XL let you toggle between zoning/individual buildings. In individual mode you chose either R C or I and then Low/High density and then chose a building from the list, then you placed it wherever. I could create small residential areas with a similar look with that for example. And it was a toggle. It can't be that hard that this is coming sooner or later as a mod or officially.

Kevyt

What the hell... No idea what just happened but I suddenly lost half my population??? wtf

Now all my industry is going abandonned because there's not enough workers.

I had something similar happen. I had a 33k population and saw a tweet from a citizen about a bacteria in the water. All of a sudden everyone was sick and many died. I was down to 18k. I had a water electricity dam (I forget its exact name) but I had to get rid of it because I thought this was maybe the culprit. Right now I'm at 25k, my population is slowly getting back tp where it was and I also installed the water purification system.

Ayt

Banned
Weird, when I try to cross the pipe for drainage with the water, I get an error.

The error is that you can't cross pipes over pipes that are already there. You can connect the pipes then continue from that connection.

The same is true of roads. You can't drag roads over other roads. You have to make an intersection first.

Ayt

Banned
He should just release a mod that automatically replaces all traffic lights with stop signs since there is basically no reason to prefer lights other than aesthetics.

Jintor

To be truly balanced they need to patch in traffic accidents lol

Did Sim City 4 Rush Hour have traffic accidents? Can't recall

Anybody post this yet?

Pretty sweet smaller/rural train station.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=411521749

Someone also has recreated Atocha train station in Madrid.
As a real city terminal the rail doesnt cross the whole building, he hasn't find a way yet to make it work better, but by putting a road the railway stops before trasppassing the facade.
I wanted to know if this was possible to make the same type of terminal in my city, hoping there can be multiple railways exiting form the back of this types of stations in the future, to make them more realistic.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409516495&searchtext=Atocha

Dimentios

Is there a mod to change the cities theme (normal, northern and tropical or whatever) on the fly? Or at least a way to use the trees vom theme A in a city of theme B?

Unai

Well, I thought it was odd that I had lots of landfills and crematoriums and what not, but dead people and trash were pilling up, than I noticied this intersection in my highway.

All those trucks are literally stopped. They can't move at all. There's something very bad about my intersections here.

cities_2015_03_22_01_adutw.png

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The error is that you can't cross pipes over pipes that are already there. You can connect the pipes then continue from that connection.

The same is true of roads. You can't drag roads over other roads. You have to make an intersection first.

Ah that's rather... strange.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yeah I might resist using it until they patch in traffic accidents or something lol

I think one of the only scenarios I'd feel comfortable using it in, would be a two-lane one-way street entering 3-lane or above road/highway. But that's only because there aren't any one-way one-lane roads (which should not have traffic lights on its intersections).

Actually, I guess what I'm saying is that I want a mod that adds in one-lane one-way roads that only create yield signs at intersections.

Jumplion

I had something similar happen. I had a 33k population and saw a tweet from a citizen about a bacteria in the water. All of a sudden everyone was sick and many died. I was down to 18k. I had a water electricity dam (I forget its exact name) but I had to get rid of it because I thought this was maybe the culprit. Right now I'm at 25k, my population is slowly getting back tp where it was and I also installed the water purification system.

Check the pollution and see if it's seeping into your water pipes. Sometimes the way you hook up the pipes under the industrial area ends up dragging all the sewage that it produces through the other districts, or if you have a water tower nearby pollution will pollute it (as I found out accidentally, barely avoiding the plague). You can fix this by either making a specific drain pipe sticking out of the industrial zone, or just adding more links in the pipeline so the sewage the industrial zone makes doesn't go through the other zones.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
How about a two-way road entering a four-laner but that doesn't cross the median?

That would essentially be like a 2-lane oneway intersecting another 2-lane oneway, which doesn't create lights, so I'd say that be the case there too, if we had the option to make such a thing.

Megasoum

Banned
So I went from 30k down to 20k... Then it went back up to 35k in 2years or so and now it started to drop again... Really not sure what's happening.

anyone having issues on mac?

My installed mods and assets aren't actually showing up or working in game. Also strange bug where once I'm in the game I can't load or quit. Clicking quit to desktop or quit to main menu simply closes the options screen and returns me to the game.

Any ideas?

I have a bunch of mods subscribed from the workshop and nothing seems to be working.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So I went from 30k down to 20k... Then it went back up to 35k in 2years or so and now it started to drop again... Really not sure what's happening.

People in this game live the same amount of years (6-ish). If you had a period of rapid expansion, six years later, a bunch of those people all die off at the same time.

Ayt

Banned
Just a general comment on traffic, they really should add in the right turn on red rule before looking to make major changes in how traffic works. That change alone would likely alleviate a lot of the problems people have with the current traffic system.

Two complaints:

It would be nice if dragging from a one way street, etc preserved the direction.

It would also be nice if there was a linked highway building tool rather than having to build both directions separately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom