• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Is there another bug with the game?

I have medium demand for commercial and high demand for industry/offices, but I have no demand for residential...?

It it a bug, or am I missing something.

You have demand for commercial because your citizens want to shop and play. You have demand for industrial because you citizens want jobs. If you look on your population info panel, you probably have a high-ish unemployment rate.

No one's going to move into a city that has no jobs.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh god what just happened.

Everything was fine and all until suddenly everyone's getting sick too fast. How do I prevent the complaint of "polluted" water when the drain and pumping station is far from the industrial zone?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Oh god what just happened.

Everything was fine and all until suddenly everyone's getting sick too fast. How do I prevent the complaint of "polluted" water when the drain and pumping station is far from the industrial zone?

Your pumping station is not downstream from the sewage pipe?

Ayt

Banned
When you are placing water facilities there will be lines in the water indicating which way it is flowing. Put your water pump upstream and your drainage downstream. Basically, you want your drainage to be somewhere it can just flow off the map and away from any water you may need to drink.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
well, they are beside each other

hmm so it's better to separate them in location? like, the drainage is at the industrial zone?

If they are too close, your pump will suck up the poop water.

Your pump should be more towards the beginning of the river, and your poop chute at the end of the river.

Ayt

Banned
Can any of you reproduce a bug I found? If I place a Paradox Plaza or a bouncy castle, the citizens that go there never leave. The only people that leave those specific parks are tourists. You can sit and watch the parks for several months in game and the regular citizens do not ever leave.

At a quick glance, the other parks work fine with people coming and going over a short period of time.

This game is great and all, but some of the core gameplay mechanics need serious attention.

- Deathcare is just ridiculously inefficient. Nice idea, poor execution. The population boom then death cycle is just stupid. The ratio of facilities to population is absurd, so is the idea of "emptying" cemeteries.

- Crime is non-existant. The ratio of adequate fire protection vs crime prevention buildings is about 20:1.

- Offices >>>>> Industry. The cash from resource industries is nice, but oil and ore deplete so fast it's barely worth zoning. But the worst part about industry is the massive amount of traffic. Why bother when you can generate revenue from offices instead. Finally the lack of workers because you provide education to your citizens drives me crazy...

- Which leads me to education. Being penalized for educating your citizens is just dumb. I shouldn't have to create neighborhoods of dumb people just so my timber industry can have employees.

- There's a lack of purpose to unique buildings. Building a stadium is a huge decision that has a major impact to real life cities, but it's pretty much meaningless in Skylines.

- There are a lot of things that are just plain missing. Land value is basically a function of age + parks, there is no regard for location. That prime waterfront property is worth less then the middle of your original low density residential in the middle of nowhere.

- I really miss how the old simcity games presented information to you. The graphs, overlays, status bars and the way citizens communicated problems was so much better.

Finally, my biggest annoyance is how I can't just click on something to view it's info because my cursor is always in some kind of tool mode. I have to deselect what I'm currently doing and then click on a building. There are similar issues with the forced views for particular tools.

Anyway the game is lots of fun, but there are a lot of things in need if attention well before tunnels are added.

Help a noob out, GAF.

My 7th city attempt and I've started utilizing buses and pub transportation. Everything seemed like it was going well... but I've noticed now all of my stops look like below:

A57d7X6.jpg

SHTWRj0.jpg

L19WM2M.jpg

Do I simply need more bus building/hubs?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Bus stations are always crowded for some reason. I've never seen one in real life that crowded. But then again, I'm sure there could be some. What's the capacity of each bus?

30. You're better off using rail to move people between districts then bus inside of them.

Aha, that's what I've been doing. So I guess I should split my routes by several? Hmm... Although they're already fairly short 'round the neighborhood types.

Troubleshooting in this game is a blast.

Crispy75

Aha, that's what I've been doing. So I guess I should split my routes by several? Hmm... Although they're already fairly short 'round the neighborhood types.

Troubleshooting in this game is a blast.

Use each public transport type in "tiers"

Link your major urban centers with commuter rail. They are your highways of public transport. Then make arteries of metro lines. Finally, bus routes should be quite short and simple, bringing cims to the metro stations from the surrounding area.

Spookie

Use each public transport type in "tiers"

Link your major urban centers with commuter rail. They are your highways of public transport. Then make arteries of metro lines. Finally, bus routes should be quite short and simple, bringing cims to the metro stations from the surrounding area.

Listen to this man. Once you've got buses going to the metro, holy shit do those queues drop. I'd recommend getting your road system down first though. It's a nightmare replanning routes every 5 minutes. :(

dalin80

Banned
Any ideas why my hydrodam has just stopped working? Was merrily producing half my cities power for a long time then it just stopped letting water through. The river which was behind it has dried out completely forcing me to move my water and sewage plants.

Toggled it on and off but it just sits there.

Also getting quite annoyed by the amount of firestations you need? I'm going to guess that the fire service is my cities largest employer. Especially compared to the one police station which has been looking after a city of 15,000 with no issues.

dalin80

Banned
Water pumps can lower water level if you have enough of them. Did you basically suck the river dry?

There is no river to suck, the dam isn't letting any water through. It was it was all working fine for hours then half my city blacked out. sigh.

SlickVic

My population peaked at 4500, fixed some roads to improve the traffic situation, and now my population has decreased to 4000 and seems to be slowly dwindling. All my 3 bars are low so I'm not quite sure what I need right now. I think I got enough cops, fire trucks, health care, and education in my city right now. Water and electricity is pumping ok, so not quite sure what my issue is.

Spookie

My population peaked at 4500, fixed some roads to improve the traffic situation, and now my population has decreased to 4000 and seems to be slowly dwindling. All my 3 bars are low so I'm not quite sure what I need right now. I think I got enough cops, fire trucks, health care, and education in my city right now. Water and electricity is pumping ok, so not quite sure what my issue is.

Low land value?

robb_w7

Banned
The Steam Workshop integration is one of the best features about this game, there are a lot of things that would be sold as DLC if it was dev made

Boss Doggie

So I replaced the one way lanes into highways

highway3iugp.jpg

why is one of the lanes saying that it is "not connected" when it is?

Seanspeed

Banned

highway3iugp.jpg

When you lay a road down, you need to pay attention to which way it runs. The direction you drag the road out to is the direction traffic will flow.

If you mess it up, like you obviously have here, its easy to fix, though. Go to the road tool and next to the straight, curved and freeform icons, there is an 'upgrade' icon that is an exclamation point, I believe. Click that, then hover over a piece of road you want to reverse and right click.

Took me a while to figure that out myself.

Cub3h

Banned

It looks like both highways are going in the same direction (downwards), the connection to the outside world on the right is set to go upwards so you have to start it at your existing road and then drag it upwards to connect.

-edit-
I guess that was obvious because there were three of us posting the same thing!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
What kinds of services does office buildings need to upgrade to highest level? Mine is stuck at 2,5 of three green fields, and it just says: needs more services to upgrade further.

KKRT00

I'm so buying this game when i finally have some free time.

I really hope they add multiplayer, i actually loved the SimCity MP concept.

bjaelke

What kinds of services does office buildings need to upgrade to highest level? Mine is stuck at 2,5 of three green fields, and it just says: needs more services to upgrade further.

Public transport accessibility is a good place to start. If you already have that, then you might have to look at some of the general services (police, schools etc.). Or just drop down trees around the area. There's nothing in the game you can't solve with trees.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Played for the first time since the patch. Commercial demand went from 0 to 100 within 10 seconds. Nice!

TheMoon

What the hell... No idea what just happened but I suddenly lost half my population??? wtf

Now all my industry is going abandonned because there's not enough workers.

Nathan Drake just visited your town. He wasn't welcomed properly. Killed a few thousand people. Uncharted 4: World Tour.

Durante

- Offices >>>>> Industry. The cash from resource industries is nice, but oil and ore deplete so fast it's barely worth zoning. But the worst part about industry is the massive amount of traffic. Why bother when you can generate revenue from offices instead. Finally the lack of workers because you provide education to your citizens drives me crazy...
I agree with this one. Because Offices fulfill the exact same purpose as industry, but do so without the drawback of heavy traffic, pollution or resource requirements I really don't see any need to build industry.

bjaelke

I agree with this one. Because Offices fulfill the exact same purpose as industry, but do so without the drawback of heavy traffic, pollution or resource requirements I really don't see any need to build industry.
There are actually a few advantage to building industrial areas:

Offices don't produce any goods for the commercial industry, so you have to import from outside = smaller profit margin in the commerce industry.

Fewer jobs available per office building compared to the industrial buildings.

Beepos

So if I had a super good time with Simcity 4 (never played the other Simcity games), I take it this game will be a good followup?

So if I had a super good time with Simcity 4 (never played the other Simcity games), I take it this game will be a good followup?

Yeah, as long as you understand that this isn't SimCity and there should be some expectation that some things work differently, wildly in some cases. As long as you're willing to learn the quirks of each individual city sim, though, you'll be fine.

Boss Doggie

Lately I keep getting this "How long do we have to wait for working pipes!" chirp despite the water availability being in the good zone and being in the upstream. Then again I just recently placed pipes on a new Residential zone so...

It's its own game which is good. With that said I played SC4 and find this to be a really good successor even if it plays its own style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom