• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gr8one

yes

Offices are merely just a job sink.

Industry provides jobs as well, but 20% more for most buildings. They also generate more money than offices. level 3 industry actually uses a lot of educated workers.

To add to generating more money for the city, industrial buildings provide goods for your commercial zones, meaning they don't have to import goods providing more taxable income.

But right now offices seem pretty OP over industrial in larger cities just by the fact they don't generate any traffic.Most of the largest cities I've seen on reddit have 0 industry.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
About the Dynamic Resolution mod: I've noticed a considerable drop in the framerate (lower 30s) in the last couple of days in a city of 20K, while in the past I got it working decently (45-ish) in a city of 80K.
Going first person, with the sun shafts active drops everything to like 15fps.

I've got a GTX 780 and I downsample from 200% (I'd go lower, but it blurs everything A LOT, disregarding the "optimal pixel locations" claimed by the mod author).
Later I'm gonna try the AA mod instead, hoping for a better outcome.

My issue with the DRmod is that after I load from a save a few times my framerates seem to really go to the crapper, but with the DRmod disabled this does not happen. This is with it set to 200% and with a GTX970.

There's a new Post Processing mod that just came out which introduces FXAA2, FXAA3, NFAA, SSAA, DLAA - along with other effects such as bloom and motion blur: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=412146081&searchtext=postprocess

Or if you've got a powerful PC, use the Dynamic Resolution mod for Supersampling: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406629464&searchtext=supersample

After playing around with this mod, it is not as good as the DRmod but its far better than default, the best setting IMHO is FXAA3. But my framerates fly with this, whereas with the DRmod they do take a hit, and as I mentioned above after loading a few saves the DRmod really hurts frames in my experience.

Think I'm going with this new post process mod for now, thanks!

Wait, really? Damn I totally didnt know that. Does the same apply to graveyards&crematoriums?

I wish I had known this sooner! I had assumed Incinerators were just to empty the landfills. I was getting tired of finding places to place new landfills. This helps immensely!

Well, my first post in this thread but I bought it at release. I've had limited playtime but I have a city nearing 100K in population. Traffic is a mess, but I've been slowly improving it. I find my oldest area of the city hardest to manage and sometimes I feel like bulldozing the whole thing and remaking that area but I feel like that would just destroy my population since it's a major residence area.

GeoGonzo

Oh and how will I know if the current is strong enough to build a dam?

About dams:

1) The energy produced only depends on how high the water falls from the top to the bottom of the dam: Taller dams yield more energy.
2) If the water can flow in any other direction, it will. Then your dam becomes just a concrete wall.

Shit... Water polution can go through Hydro power plants lol... Welp I'm screwed I need a new place to dump my shit

It shouldn't if you turn the plant off. If its on... then of course it will go through :p

GeoGonzo

Probably someone has already done this, but I decided to check how exactly budget affects buildings. I started with education and it was pretty straightforward:

DMuMWjf.jpg

Basically, everything works optimally at 100% budget: Going under or over will cost more per student (but lowering the budget would make sense if you can still educate everyone).

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
yes

Offices are merely just a job sink.

Industry provides jobs as well, but 20% more for most buildings. They also generate more money than offices. level 3 industry actually uses a lot of educated workers.

Mhmmm my industry never levels up. Do they need land value improvements too? They keep asking for uneducated workers...

Kevyt

Is it just me or is the game very blurry when you zoom in? I got everything set the highest settings, but when I zoom all the way in, it looks very blurry. Should I toggle the film grain settings?

KKRT00

There's a new Post Processing mod that just came out which introduces FXAA2, FXAA3, NFAA, SSAA, DLAA - along with other effects such as bloom and motion blur: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=412146081&searchtext=postprocess

Or if you've got a powerful PC, use the Dynamic Resolution mod for Supersampling: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406629464&searchtext=supersample

Thanks, it helped.

----

Game is as addicting as SimCity, slightly less polished, especially in terms of menus, but its not a big deal. Road connecting is slightly crappy, but i need to probably just get use to it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Honestly, I'm more surprised he got so many perfect looking circles.

GeoGonzo

These stats may be a waste of time but...

Unexpected! Unlike the education buildings these don't reach an efficiency peak at 100 (Efficiency: Lower cost per truck).

For Landfills:
- Efficiency peak at 107%
- Garbage budget at 93%, 97%, 101%, 107% and 116% are all more efficient than 100%
For Incinerators:
- Efficiency peak at 104%
- Garbage budget at 96%, 98%, 101%, 104%, 108%, 113% and 117% are all more efficient than 100%

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Probably someone has already done this, but I decided to check how exactly budget affects buildings. I started with education and it was pretty straightforward:

DMuMWjf.jpg

Basically, everything works optimally at 100% budget: Going under or over will cost more per student (but lowering the budget would make sense if you can still educate everyone).

Very interesting, so it appears that 110% funding is probably optimal?

Realyn

Wanted to play around with terraforming and this what I've got in 2 hours. Ignore the roads leading out of the city and the top commerce area, they are just placeholders. Have yet to unlock parks and stuff. I'll do a few more houses, then plantables and then the highway.

Zoning is a pain the ass. They keep reseting because of the mountains and I had to delete dozens of 1x1 houses until a bigger one spawned.

edit: the mountains look like crap because they are too steep.

Save file wont open, one of the mods must have crashed/corrupted it but not sure which one. Anyone else have this issue?

It happened with the chirper mod earlier but that got fixed by the modder

GeoGonzo

Very interesting, so it appears that 110% funding is probably optimal?

100% is still best, but 100-110% is very efficient. At 110%, for only 10% more money you are getting 9% more students. Shortly after that raising budget is pretty much just throwing away money: From 120% to 130% you are increasing your spending an 8% for only 4% more students.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
100% is still best, but 100-110% is very efficient. At 110%, for only 10% more money you are getting 9% more students. Shortly after that raising budget is pretty much just throwing away money: From 120% to 130% you are increasing your spending an 8% for only 4% more students.

Well, if you factor in the building taking up space. Still kinda preference thing I suppose. But I will probably starting setting education to 110%.

Hmm, does budget effect influence range?

Suikoguy

It does, very good point. I should do some tests on that.

Just a quick check, and yeah it does effect it, but it's not a huge difference. Still makes for a good argument for 110% funding though.

Edit: Also makes the time you are putting into checking the efficiency more worth it ;)

Grief.exe

I'm dying to play this game, but all I have is a macbook pro... i'm upgrading it to 16 gigs of ram and also gonna grab an ssd to breathe some new life into it and I'm wondering how the game would run on that. The graphics card is in intel hd graphics 3000 with only 384MB of memory... i just realized the steam page says intel integrated graphics aren't supported. Am I SOL?

16 GB RAM
Macbook Pro
Why?

Grief.exe

Edit: meant to combine these posts.

Will passenger train lines act as an in city commuter train as long as it is connected to outside rail? Or is it strictly for outside tourists?

It will act as both if it is connected to outside rail.

I haven't noticed too many bottlenecks with my tourism and commuter rail on the same track. Definitely have separate tracks for your cargo train though.

These stats may be a waste of time but...

Unexpected! Unlike the education buildings these don't reach an efficiency peak at 100 (Efficiency: Lower cost per truck).

For Landfills:
- Efficiency peak at 107%
- Garbage budget at 93%, 97%, 101%, 107% and 116% are all more efficient than 100%
For Incinerators:
- Efficiency peak at 104%
- Garbage budget at 96%, 98%, 101%, 104%, 108%, 113% and 117% are all more efficient than 100%

DMuMWjf.jpg

This is impressive work! Thanks, I'll tune my budgets.

You should compile these and post them to the subredit.

New mod that apparently increases the game simulation speed to 6x and 9x.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=412292157&searchtext=

Here's a video of it in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4wuSQ82LUU

Needed that for Banished.

The1Ski

I really don't like how industry takes a hit on employment by having an educated populace. Just built the hadron collider and my entire population is, apparently, geniuses.

I wish I could helicopter in some dumbasses to work in the factories.

I've made idiot villages with no education opportunities but it seems like the collider ups the education of everyone. Plus, buildings need educated citizens to upgrade.

To be honest, though, it's not hiring me that bad but it's just a little annoying.

Kevyt

The tilt shift effect also blurs the top and bottom of the image, so you might want to adjust that.

Will try this.

Here's my city so far. Only around 40k. As you can see - grids, grids everywhere.

K9Fzuoc.jpg

Looks neat and organized, nice!

Oh terraforming mod, how do I love thee?

8X91HbL.jpg

Railway cuttings ftw :)

Wow, that looks amazing! Nice stadium!

Depth of field right?

Yeah, sort of.

------

I setup some subway stations, and buses leading to the subway stations. The thing is that I keep getting a message that tells me I need to close down the bus loop for the buses to work properly. Everytime I try to do that I just create more stops, and I can never seem to close "the loop"

Any idea how do I do this? Everytime I click on the route and drag to close the loop I simply add more stops and I keep getting the same message. I:

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
I setup some subway stations, and buses leading to the subway stations. The thing is that I keep getting a message that tells me I need to close down the bus loop for the buses to work properly. Everytime I try to do that I just create more stops, and I can never seem to close "the loop"

Any idea how do I do this? Everytime I click on the route and drag to close the loop I simply add more stops and I keep getting the same message. I:

To close the loop you have to end your line on the first stop you placed.

When you place the mouse over the first stop it should say something like "close the line" or "end the line", I don't remember.

InertiaXr

Is there some service I might be missing to get level 3 offices? I'd say around 95% of my residential and commercial buildings in my city right now are level capped but I've never seen a level 3 office. In the happiness pane thing my office happiness is the highest out of the 4 too, at 98%. I've went through all the services multiple times and all of my office sectors are covered by all of them well, I'm not sure what else I can do to level them up.

Kevyt

To close the loop you have to end your line on the first stop you placed.

When you place the mouse over the first stop it should say something like "close the line" or "end the line", I don't remember.

Oh, got it. I had quite the mess. I had to find out which lines belonged to which. Had to remove all the stops and start all over again.

arhra

Oh, got it. I had quite the mess. I had to find out which lines belonged to which. Had to remove all the stops and start all over again.

Protip: you can give each line it's own individual colour by going into the transit info view and selecting the line, or by clicking on a bus then hitting the "Modify Line" button in the pop-up window. Also works for metro lines (and I presume passenger rail lines). Makes it a bit easier to manage multiple overlapping lines (although if you have multiple lines stopping at the same place, trying to get the right one selected to modify/delete a stop is still basically impossible).

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Is there some service I might be missing to get level 3 offices? I'd say around 95% of my residential and commercial buildings in my city right now are level capped but I've never seen a level 3 office. In the happiness pane thing my office happiness is the highest out of the 4 too, at 98%. I've went through all the services multiple times and all of my office sectors are covered by all of them well, I'm not sure what else I can do to level them up.

Make sure the buildings are blue, AND the roads are green, and that you have an overabundance of educated workers. And maybe lower the office tax a smidge, if you feel like it.

Ayt

Banned

My guess is a lack of bus routes servicing those buildings or possibly not enough parks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom