• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, this is massive. Great reading. Very effective design here:
8X0J5W1h.jpg

Holy crap, I think that guy must've added a ton of stuff since the last time I saw that link. I don't think the public transit and pedestrian sections were there at all, for example.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Late edit: It turns out that this has big noise problems because the ramps generate highway-level noise. Converting them to streets helps for noise, but it kills the speed benefit of the tile. Oh well, sorry folks
----------------------

All right GAF, I think I've cracked the code and found the ultimate tile system.

I present to you: OctoMesh

FOeWntAl.jpg

(higher res)

OctoMesh Junior (on the left): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413572398
Starter version with one-way streets instead of ramps. Can upgrade those to ramps later.

OctoMesh Gold (on the right): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413573112
Version with ramps.

This thing allows travelling at highway speeds horizontally and vertically (green) and on the centre "roundabout" (red) thanks to the ramps. There are connections all over the place for wherever people want to go and it has lots of building space. The gold version has one block which is all ramps - if you want to put something there, just convert one of the ramps back to a one-way street. For really big buildings, you can bulldoze the two-way roads at the centre of the octagon and it doesn't slow things down much. The ones not highlighted on the right are all two-way streets for flexibility, and then the ramps are there as the alternate route for speed.

Well, that's the concept anyway. Now to see how much traffic it can really handle. There's no way this would work in real life due to all the collisions, heh.

Surprisingly, you can arbitrarily rotate the tiles in your pattern and it still works thanks to the rotational symmetry of the road directions and connections. Handy if you have a really tall+narrow or wide+flat building you'd like to place a certain way. You can also fill up the centre octagon with whatever streets you like since it's not the main path for speed. I just left it blank for zoning as the default.

Edit: Added a version with elevated connectors. This should improve speed on the fast lanes and make things a lot easier for random connections using the upper level.
Starter: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413591651
Ramps: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413591710
637x358.resizedimage

Ranger X

has this been posted before? if no, then this guy Drushkey is a traffic engineer in Canada and posted his amazing city with tutorial of traffic flow. if this is old then ignore.

Ok now this is amazing. I completely trust this game's competent traffic logics. It was main main concern and now I see this game well done. Need to buy it now!!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So I remember in the old thread that you can change the theme of the city (i.e. tropical-themed). How do you do it?

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
So I remember in the old thread that you can change the theme of the city (i.e. tropical-themed). How do you do it?

The theme is tied to the map, you can't change on an existing map (you can however select its color correction in the settings), but if you want the tropical trees, you'll have to start a new city in a tropical map.

Kane1345

Sorry if this has been asked before but does the Eden Project raise land value for your entire city or for a large radius around it?

Realyn

Whelp something killed my save. Myself and a bunch of people on the Steam forum are getting

An error occure...
object reference not set to an instance of an object
[System.NullReferenceException]

I'm sure it's some mod. If I disable everything the map is even more fucked up. Trying to figure out which one it is right now by enabling them one by one.

edit: It's the renamed Traffic++ or whatever it is called now. Zonable Pedestrian Paths before that.

Whelp something killed my save. Myself and a bunch of people on the Steam forum are getting

I'm sure it's some mod. If I disable everything the map is even more fucked up. Trying to figure out which one it is right now by enabling them one by one.

edit: It's the renamed Traffic++ or whatever it is called now. Zonable Pedestrian Paths before that.

I get that message occasionally, and I have zero mods installed. I don't think I've seen it since the patch, though I'm currently taking a break from the game to play other stuff.

Realyn

I get that message occasionally, and I have zero mods installed. I don't think I've seen it since the patch, though I'm currently taking a break from the game to play other stuff.

Hmm that's strange. But in this case it was this particular mod. A user on Reddit found a solution however: Just start a new map and load your save.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The theme is tied to the map, you can't change on an existing map (you can however select its color correction in the settings), but if you want the tropical trees, you'll have to start a new city in a tropical map.

Ahh I see, I thought you could change it on the go.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
How to delete a bus route? Damn, I messed my routes.

Open the Public Transports info view (the "i" button in the top-left corner) to display the lines on the map, click on your bus line, then "Delete line".

Or, click on a bus from this line, then "Modify line", and "Delete line".

Megasoum

Banned
So my city is going well right now... Good traffic, almost no polution, etc...

The problem is that it's not really expanding... I'm going with my RCI demand (which is pretty much always low) and I'm barely breaking the 50k pop mark.

So my city is going well right now... Good traffic, almost no polution, etc...

The problem is that it's not really expanding... I'm going with my RCI demand (which is pretty much always low) and I'm barely breaking the 50k pop mark.

I had plenty of such spells in the evolution of my city.
I would often just plan a bigger new development, assign lots and then just leave it be for an hour while I did something else, and it will have expanded greatly on it's own accord. Just takes time sometimes.

Lexxism

Open the Public Transports info view (the "i" button in the top-left corner) to display the lines on the map, click on your bus line, then "Delete line".

Or, click on a bus from this line, then "Modify line", and "Delete line".

Thanks. That was really helpful!

Gr8one

Anyone else having problems with the workshop? I was going to browse through most recent uploads to see if there was any interesting new assets or mods from the last day but the most recent upload is from yesterday afternoon. Also I can't find my followed author list anywhere. Is Gaben our lord and savior giving me a subtle hint I should be more productive at work today?

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Anyone else having problems with the workshop? I was going to browse through most recent uploads to see if there was any interesting new assets or mods from the last day but the most recent upload is from yesterday afternoon. Also I can't find my followed author list anywhere. Is Gaben our lord and savior giving me a subtle hint I should be more productive at work today?

Same here, can't browse new files and followed authors :/

But mods and assets still update in Steam though.

Amzin

Anyone have weird bugs with fire stations not reacting to fire for some reason? I had a fire station in the middle of a 4-lane 2-way road with green traffic and places kept burning down right near it. It was never deploying any trucks. I relocated it to the next lot over and it seems to be working suddenly.

This was happening pre-mods too, I just now spent enough time to realize it wasn't traffic, it was just not even trying. Wondering if I have way too many stations now since I was having fire problems all over...

Megasoum

Banned
I wish there was a way to hide all the buildings when you enter zoning mode. All the level 3 high-rises hide the coloring on the grid which makes it very difficult to de-zone and zone stuff sometimes.

Maybe that could be fixed with a mod?

Does it actually teleport people accross the map cause that would be fucking badass.

Description says it acts as a metro station, so I'm guess "yes."

So damn cool.

That reminds me though, I need to figure out how to get the Space Elevator to act as an outside connection.

t-ramp

What's the best way to start a city layout wise, I hit 6-7k and my roads are chock a block, I like grids which might be my downfall.
Grids aren't too bad, my current city is at about 60,000 residents I believe and mostly just a big grid. However, I added a couple freight train stations and then another district of sorts separated from the original sprawl, which caused some issues until I tweaked my roads in that area. I did basically forgo industry though once I unlocked offices, so I just need good traffic flow to commercial from the highways and train connections.

I also have a big pedestrian walkway network and bus routes covering the city, so that probably helps.

Raticus79

What's the best way to start a city layout wise, I hit 6-7k and my roads are chock a block, I like grids which might be my downfall.

Check out this guide - it adds a ton to the game.

has this been posted before? if no, then this guy Drushkey is a traffic engineer in Canada and posted his amazing city with tutorial of traffic flow. if this is old then ignore.

http://imgur.com/a/z1rM1

This was the big takeaway for me. You have your biggest road across the bottom, which branches to a medium road, which then branches again with a bunch of the smallest roads to fill out the area.
8X0J5W1h.jpg

I had been using grids but this approach is fantastic. My city has one half with my grid of octagon tiles and then the other half is using this tree approach. The tree is much more efficient I'd say, especially when it comes to planning transit later.

Fox318

I wish there was traffic accidents. I feel like most roundabout based systems fail completely because an accident would screw up traffic for an entire city.

Unai

I was thinking, usually my commercial area is separeted from the industrial area. Maybe it would be better if they were really close or even intercaleted? So the trucks wouldn't have to go very far.

Raticus79

I was thinking, usually my commercial area is separeted from the industrial area. Maybe it would be better if they were really close or even intercaleted? So the trucks wouldn't have to go very far.

Yes, for sure. Have commercial as the buffer between your residential and industrial areas so people pass the stores on their way to work (and back).

I know there's another thread about mods but figured I'd ask here in case anyone cares to help. I've subscribed to a whole host of assets from the Workshop, things like the custom coal plant from Gula and various custom assets and none of those work in game. I'm on Mac. The graphics mods and custom maps load in and I have everything turned on in the asset manager. But in game the Assets don't show up anywhere in any menus. For instance I would expect that the custom coal plant should show up in a new game but no, it's only the vanilla options in the electricity menu.

tonythedemon

Neo Member
Been playing this all today and it's starting to lag on 3x speed. I am running I5 2500K with GTX 660. Even on medium settings it dips below 30 when on 3x zoomed in.

Gr8one

I hope CO updates the content manager in the next patch. I'm heading out of town for a week so I installed CS on my notebook. I was a little concerned that the 300+ subscribed assets steam downloaded for my new install might kill the damn thing. So I turned them all off.. after 10 minutes of clicking each and every single itty bitty wittle on/off box.

I would give sexual favors to the anyone that could add a "on/off all button". More lovin for the modder that lets me organize my subscribed assets by type (intersection/parks/unique/residential/etc) and furthermore by density and base size for easier asset management.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom