• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEO3

They really need to fix the mod building thumbnails not showing up in the game. Looking for a specific modded building is such a pain in the ass once you accumulate a bunch of them.

The thing is, some mod authors have gotten them to work, but I'm not sure how they're doing it. I only use custom made assets that have preview icons now, because like you said, it's a huge pain in the ass to hover over each and every mystery icon to find the building you're looking for.

I remember the patched the game during the pre-release week when all the streamers were playing it, and they patched it a week and a half after that, so here's hoping they'll keep pushing out patches every couple of weeks. Really excited about tunnels, hope we get a better idea of when that functionality is going to make it into the game soon.

spiritfox

The thing is, some mod authors have gotten them to work, but I'm not sure how they're doing it. I only use custom made assets that have preview icons now, because like you said, it's a huge pain in the ass to hover over each and every mystery icon to find the building you're looking for.

I remember the patched the game during the pre-release week when all the streamers were playing it, and they patched it a week and a half after that, so here's hoping they'll keep pushing out patches every couple of weeks. Really excited about tunnels, hope we get a better idea of when that functionality is going to make it into the game soon.

I think it's because their lots have buildings, while those parks with no icons don't.

Corgi

Banned
wonder how advance you can program the AI for building locations. wanna have the sims do specific animations. Bring your dog etc.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I tried making a city of one-way streets but it's impossible to get good service coverage. A crime-filled house could be right next to a police station but will never be visited by police because the car goes the opposite direction. I guess the second best thing to do is to just do it for the industrial section.

Yeah, it goes by actual travel distance, not a radius. Are you using long rectangular blocks? I had noticed this issue and found it was a lot better when sticking with small square blocks (e.g. 8x8 or 10x10). If the car has a 100 cell travel allowance, for example, and it has to go around a 40 cell block to get in the other direction, it's used up its distance before it can even get past its starting point.

One way around this unwanted travel distance, sticking with long rectangle blocks, is to add opportunities for U-turns with smaller streets (or highway ramps) crossing the middle of your blocks. Just stagger them so they don't create 4-way intersections (lights).

The AI doesn't really use lanes very well, so one-way streets aren't as effective as they are in real life. I think there's more potential in using smaller side streets and ramps as your "lanes", that way you can design exactly how things should go.

---

I've been having a ton of fun with the intersection tool for building repeatable tiles. I have a save where I'm pretty far along in the game (so everything's unlocked) and I've wiped out the centre so I can lay down the prefab tiles and see how things fill in. I had a pretty good one which created horizontal 6-lane roads and elevated vertical highways for the whole length of the city, all filled in with appropriate ramps. I messed up my ramp design though and wound up with too many left turns close together which created bottlenecks even though there were no lights. Back to the drawing board.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
wonder how advance you can program the AI for building locations. wanna have the sims do specific animations. Bring your dog etc.

I really don't know what the limits are. It's apparently fairly open, but there are bound to be some limitations. I'd love for a modder to post about their experiences and limits, but I've not ran across any posts yet.

I've been having a ton of fun with the intersection tool for building repeatable tiles. I have a save where I'm pretty far along in the game (so everything's unlocked) and I've wiped out the centre so I can lay down the prefab tiles and see how things fill in. I had a pretty good one which created horizontal 6-lane roads and elevated vertical highways for the whole length of the city, all filled in with appropriate ramps. I messed up my ramp design though and wound up with too many left turns close together which created bottlenecks even though there were no lights. Back to the drawing board.

One of the key things to do with on ramps and off ramps is to have the entrances and exits be on opposing sides. Gets the AI to use more lanes.

NimbusD

I tried making a city of one-way streets but it's impossible to get good service coverage. A crime-filled house could be right next to a police station but will never be visited by police because the car goes the opposite direction. I guess the second best thing to do is to just do it for the industrial section.

I'm trying to do this now as it's own little island expansion in my city. So far its actually working good. Just 1 looooong 1 way coil that circles into the middle and loops back to the beginning covering a whole island. It's all residential, there's pedestrian paths that all lead to a single subway station that connects it with everywhere else. Then I connected some of the coils with a few more 1 way ramps for cases like you just mentioned. There's no traffic due to no outside connection using any automobiles, so services don't get stuck.

So far it's working much better than any previous attempts at a residential area, haha figures.

the thing that bothers me is the repetitive buildings. i'm hoping a mod is in the works where you can download a lot of buildings and use it to minimize the same building appearing.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
My City has started to grow real slow after hitting ~80K. Not even sure what to do. Make villages connected to it, or just continue blobbing.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm surprised my current city is keeping up. No trash problems. No death problems. Seemingly plenty of police and fire. And traffic is not as bad as I used to have.

My next city is going to be even better.

Well except that currently I only have 70,000. My old city I had 100,000+ by the time I left it.

Amzin

Is there a way to tell in which direction the road is going when you place a prebuilt intersection?

Intersections into the road will show the direction, but a trick I just found last night is use the upgrade tool (making sure you have the same road selected as the road you want to check) and just right-click to flip one section of it. It'll show what way the rest is going and you can flip it back (or flip the rest) at no cost and no weird shape warping either.

Raticus79

the thing that bothers me is the repetitive buildings. i'm hoping a mod is in the works where you can download a lot of buildings and use it to minimize the same building appearing.

I bet it won't be too long before there are mods that allow setting appearances on districts and people have a bunch to choose from - so you could have a city with "Dwarftown" "Orcish Hell" etc along with traditional regional ones.

Grief.exe

I'm surprised my current city is keeping up. No trash problems. No death problems. Seemingly plenty of police and fire. And traffic is not as bad as I used to have.

My next city is going to be even better.

Well except that currently I only have 70,000. My old city I had 100,000+ by the time I left it.

I've had fun with just redesigning my current city as I go along and learn more. I have essentially three separate residential areas where it's obvious I progressively learned more and more about traffic control.

so i probably need to figure out a better industrial highway offshoot, because the roundabout has some fucking thing where all my traffic stops to let traffic turn in because I can't figure out the traffic logic and it backs up like half a tile

oh and uh when a fire engine stops in the middle of the street the entire district basically shuts down

Here is how I've been diffusing traffic. Seems to work really well in all situations.

Allows people to easily enter back into the system by using the one way down, then can go anywhere from there.

A1hwOsK.jpg

Gr8one

I posted about this a few days back but there's a growable building bug currently in the game that only allows a maximum of 8 building for each type of building (ie high density residential) and the base size (ie 4x4). 4 Vanilla buildings and 4 custom assets.

It's pretty strange most people haven't noticed it yet, but with more and more fantastic custom assets being created i'm sure there will be some threads on reddit talking about it.

There's a couple topics on the paradox forums and a CO dev commented on one and they know about the issue and will attempt to fix it in a later patch. Here's the only 2 links I have on it but Zed68 on that forum was a good sleuth. I originally thought I had a bad asset that was causing most of my custom growables to not appear in my games until I found his threads.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...es-grow-(and-maybe-with-the-standard-ones-too)

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?845946-WARNING-BUILDERS-Buildings-might-not-grow.

I bet it won't be too long before there are mods that allow setting appearances on districts and people have a bunch to choose from - so you could have a city with "Dwarftown" "Orcish Hell" etc along with traditional regional ones.

I believe that may be the final goal of this mod. I'm looking forward to using it once CO increases the number of growable assets in the game.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410535198

Megasoum

Banned
So the biggest issue I have with my city right now is that all my industries are complaining about the lack of workers... I keep my RCI bars at zero so there's not much more demands for residential.

All my industries are on the right part of the city and the Residential/Commercial are on the left side

I thought it might be a transport issue but they have one 6 lane street, one highway, 1 train and a bunch of busses and subways linking the the sections of the city.

All my industries are specialized in forest stuff. Maybe those ones only require low educated people? My school coverage is great on the residential section so my guys are really smart.

Gr8one

So the biggest issue I have with my city right now is that all my industries are complaining about the lack of workers... I keep my RCI bars at zero so there's not much more demands for residential.

All my industries are on the right part of the city and the Residential/Commercial are on the left side

I thought it might be a transport issue but they have one 6 lane street, one highway, 1 train and a bunch of busses and subways linking the the sections of the city.

All my industries are specialized in forest stuff. Maybe those ones only require low educated people? My school coverage is great on the residential section so my guys are really smart.

The problem you're likely dealing with is that your cims are becoming too educated for specialized industry which has low education requirements. Your cims will take jobs that are a better fit for their education if they are available so if a commercial building levels up and has spots, the cims will move over there.

They will take those jobs eventually if there are no other jobs available tho. I'd like to see more high tech industry and some more levels on the specialized industry because once you get out the early game i've found specialized industry becomes a burden and I just switch to regular industry.

Megasoum

Banned
The problem you're likely dealing with is that your cims are becoming too educated for specialized industry which has low education requirements. Your cims will take jobs that are a better fit for their education if they are available so if a commercial building levels up and has spots, the cims will move over there.

They will take those jobs eventually if there are no other jobs available tho. I'd like to see more high tech industry and some more levels on the specialized industry because once you get out the early game i've found specialized industry becomes a burden and I just switch to regular industry.

Right....So I guess I'm better off just getting rid of the specialization and deal with the polution it will create?

Crispy75

Right....So I guess I'm better off just getting rid of the specialization and deal with the polution it will create?

Or build Offices instead, which provide employment for educated cims without the pollution. They also don't produce any goods, so your imports will increase, but it's a price worth paying IMO

Megasoum

Banned
Or build Offices instead, which provide employment for educated cims without the pollution. They also don't produce any goods, so your imports will increase, but it's a price worth paying IMO

Hmmm and I guess it would also reduce the traffic around my industrial area? Interesting...

Gr8one

That's what I would do unfortunately. With the way education works it makes it near impossible to keep your citizens dummies.They are very dedicated to their education and will travel across the map to go to school.

I find it weird that specialized industry has such low education requirements when you factor in the technology used in modern agriculture, and the engineering in petroleum extraction and refining. Obviously there's a not a lot of education need in a lot of the work involved in those industries but the same can be said for a lot of retail, hospitality, and menial office work.

That's what I would do unfortunately. With the way education works it makes it near impossible to keep your citizens dummies.They are very dedicated to their education and will travel across the map to go to school.

I find it weird that specialized industry has such low education requirements when you factor in the technology used in modern agriculture, and the engineering in petroleum extraction and refining. Obviously there's a not a lot of education need in a lot of the work involved in those industries but the same can be said for a lot of retail, hospitality, and menial office work.

Educated workers can fill the uneducated workers slot too, if industries complaint about not enough workers you just need more citizen, or you need to wait some more to see what happen next

And btw, the third level industries needs lot of educated workers

Some progress in my terraforming town:

I would prefer not to use that many trees but the mountain textures are simply ugly. Especially when you have steep ones. But I'm very happy with the downtown area. The pavements turned out really good.

Is that a custom map?

Gr8one

Educated workers can fill the uneducated workers slot too, if industries complaint about not enough workers you just need more citizen, or you need to wait some more to see what happen next

And btw, the third level industries needs lot of educated workers

Oh definitely, but the specialized industries only need low education. I was just musing that IRL there is a lot of highly educated people doing work in oil & gas, forestry, agriculture, and mining.

NimbusD

Yeah, you should be able to make vocational schools. Maybe depending on land value would decide the likelihood of a Cim going for a 'lesser' degree vs something like a graduate degree that would put them in an office. It doesnt make sense that 'education' leaves so many industries at a standstill.

I posted about this a few days back but there's a growable building bug currently in the game that only allows a maximum of 8 building for each type of building (ie high density residential) and the base size (ie 4x4). 4 Vanilla buildings and 4 custom assets.

It's pretty strange most people haven't noticed it yet, but with more and more fantastic custom assets being created i'm sure there will be some threads on reddit talking about it.

There's a couple topics on the paradox forums and a CO dev commented on one and they know about the issue and will attempt to fix it in a later patch. Here's the only 2 links I have on it but Zed68 on that forum was a good sleuth. I originally thought I had a bad asset that was causing most of my custom growables to not appear in my games until I found his threads.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...es-grow-(and-maybe-with-the-standard-ones-too)

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?845946-WARNING-BUILDERS-Buildings-might-not-grow.

I believe that may be the final goal of this mod. I'm looking forward to using it once CO increases the number of growable assets in the game.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410535198

thanks for that.. lot of good info on growth. however not sure if you got what i mean. what i meant is that you see the same exact building asset througout your city. for example in your downtown commercial area, you'll see a particular building and then the game generates the exact same building right across the street from it, and another one at the next block. so you get repetitive buildings scattered everywhere. one thing simcity did right was they made numerous building assets and had a algorithm that won't create the extact same building anywhere near it, especially for commercial buildings. so i wish someone can make a mod of this since there is no shortage of custom building assets. therefore the game will have plenty of building assets to choose from instead using the exact same building asset.

Raticus79

I was doodling out some tiled octagon layouts taking advantage of 45 degree angled intersections for speed and I realized I was drawing a flooring pattern. So, cutting out the middleman:
IbZxN1B.png

Grout = roads, the circles indicate the direction of travel. About half of them could be highway ramps for speed and still have pretty good fill for buildings.

I wonder if something similar based on hex tiles could work. It would actually be faster for linear travel since the angles are gentler, but they don't work as gears so they're not one-way friendly. (edit: never mind, they're sharper turns, not gentler)
R7RDFRw.png

Gr8one

thanks for that.. lot of good info on growth. however not sure if you got what i mean. what i meant is that you see the same exact building asset througout your city. for example in your downtown commercial area, you'll see a particular building and then the game generates the exact same building right across the street from it, and another one at the next block. so you get repetitive buildings scattered everywhere. one thing simcity did right was they made numerous building assets and had a algorithm that won't create the extact same building anywhere near it, especially for commercial buildings. so i wish someone can make a mod of this since there is no shortage of custom building assets. therefore the game will have plenty of building assets to choose from instead using the exact same building asset.

I know what you mean... like this:

I still think the problem has a lot to do with the currently limited amount of growable assets the game allows. If you're like me you try to get a lot of 4x4 buildings to get some nice high density towers growing, but with the current limit on workshop growable assets in the game and the limited vanilla assets you're going to get a lot of repetitive buildings close to each other.

But like you said, a way to keep identical buildings from growing close to each other would make our cities seem much more authentic then what we are seeing now. That would be a nice addition once they fix the growable building model limit.

What settings are You guys using? Have been playing with level of detail on high but just discovered that setting it to low increases my frame rate to 60 instead is around 20. The game just got more responsive.

I'm terrible at building cities though. Have to break down Half of it just to upgrade or elevate some roads :(

Megasoum

Banned
BOOM

I converted all my forest spec industries into offices...

Not only did it fix my "Not enough worker" issue but it also got rid of all the traffic and still no pollution.

Grief.exe

BOOM

I converted all my forest spec industries into offices...

Not only did it fix my "Not enough worker" issue but it also got rid of all the traffic and still no pollution.

My current problem is all of my commercial spaces are complaining that they don't have any goods to sell. They are abandoning in droves.

Gr8one

My current problem is all of my commercial spaces are complaining that they don't have any goods to sell. They are abandoning in droves.

I wonder if putting a cargo terminal or a harbor near a large area of commercial and banning heavy trucks in the area will make it easier for commercial buildings to import goods and stop complaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom