• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I know there's another thread about mods but figured I'd ask here in case anyone cares to help. I've subscribed to a whole host of assets from the Workshop, things like the custom coal plant from Gula and various custom assets and none of those work in game. I'm on Mac. The graphics mods and custom maps load in and I have everything turned on in the asset manager. But in game the Assets don't show up anywhere in any menus. For instance I would expect that the custom coal plant should show up in a new game but no, it's only the vanilla options in the electricity menu.
It's a bug. They're working on it.

Jintor

tumblr_mequg3BSNE1r2p19oo1_500.jpg

give me trams or give me death

Gr8one

Its not bad at all. Its actually a fantastic nuisance!

I don't think anyone expected there to be 22,032 assets available on the workshop this soon.

p.s. also add search plz

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Bah, it turns out that the highway ramps in my octagon tiles generate highway-level noise, so it doesn't work for residential at all. You can convert the ramps to one-way streets, but then the speed is gone. No good overall, oh well. Updated my post.

spiritfox

The weird broken thing about SimCity 2013 Trams was that they required a massive 6 lane road or something right? In reality lots of cities have "2 lane" roads that are just trams and don't allow cars.

Trams in Cities in Motion just used existing roads and ped paths, sharing a lane with the other vehicles. They could just do that again here, or use the median in the 4-lane avenues.

Rubixcuba

Banned
Yes. They were ok. They also had terrible AI.
I should have clarifyed that the inclusion of trams was awesome, not as much their execution in Sim City.

As we're turning discussion to transport and someone mentioned Sim City 4 Rush Hour, do we think we'll see a similar expansion/DLC for Skylines?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I should have clarifyed that the inclusion of trams was awesome, not as much their execution in Sim City.

As we're turning discussion to transport and someone mentioned Sim City 4 Rush Hour, do we think we'll see a similar expansion/DLC for Skylines?

CO seems to prefer smaller DLC, like expect a Monorail and Tram DLC, etc etc.

Copons

Trams in Cities in Motion just used existing roads and ped paths, sharing a lane with the other vehicles. They could just do that again here, or use the median in the 4-lane avenues.

Yeah, in Cities in Motion 2 building tram lines was a bliss and also very intuitive and easy, reason why I'm pretty confident in CO patching that feature in sooner or later.

But before trams, I REALLY need a (official) system to micromanage intersections (directions, mergings, traffic lights), because I feel I got to a point where I don't really know how to solve a couple of traffic problems.
Maybe later I'm gonna post some screenshots asking for help.

Also, if there's the guy who pulled off the eye-shaped roundabout: how the heck did you do? :D
I tried for hours but I can't seem to do them proper and symmetrical!

MrGlass

Doing a reinstall solved my black screen problem. Then i ran into another issue where non of my mods were showing in the content manager. What i ended up doing was to unsubscribe and then subscribe to them again, quit the game and steam and when i started the game again, they were there.

Then when i finally got to load a game, the traffic++ mod cause an undefined object or something error message showing up which stopped the land and water from showing. Disabled that and now it seems to be working.

Except that suddenly i have loads of dead people waiting to be collected which it wasn't showing before WTF!

Copons

Thinking about it, I've got another question, this time technical in nature.

AFAIK, C:S fullscreen is actually a windowed borderless, and Nvidia Shadowplay doesn't work well with it. Actually it doesn't work at all, and the only way to record a video is to make Shadowplay record the whole desktop.
Now, I tried it and all I got was a video full of stutterings, to the point that it was really hard to watch it at all.

I've read that to get the game to go proper fullscreen, I could force it to render with Direct3D 9 instead, but I dunno, I've never "downscaled" it.

Now, is there another way to go, possibly using Shadowplay?

martino

I believe traffic calculates based on road distance and not on projected traffic, so since the other terminal is further away, no truck is gonna drive there ever.

Erf,road weight doesn't take into a count potential road capacity ?
(more potential capacity -> less weigth for the road for the same length. So even shorter road with less capacity can weigth more when you compute the road to choose)

edit : and add to this speed limitation difference.
But i really hope the game is not length only based even if pathfinding for traffic is static.

Noaloha

Thinking about it, I've got another question, this time technical in nature.

AFAIK, C:S fullscreen is actually a windowed borderless, and Nvidia Shadowplay doesn't work well with it. Actually it doesn't work at all, and the only way to record a video is to make Shadowplay record the whole desktop.
Now, I tried it and all I got was a video full of stutterings, to the point that it was really hard to watch it at all.

I've read that to get the game to go proper fullscreen, I could force it to render with Direct3D 9 instead, but I dunno, I've never "downscaled" it.

Now, is there another way to go, possibly using Shadowplay?

The desktop option in Shadowplay should work, so I'm unsure what's causing the stuttering. After changing it to the record desktop option, did you try restarting the application, or even rebooting the PC altogether? With downright weird shit that misbehaves out of the blue, I like to try that first just to eradicate random, fickle-ass PC behaviours.

Copons

The desktop option in Shadowplay should work, so I'm unsure what's causing the stuttering. After changing it to the record desktop option, did you try restarting the application, or even rebooting the PC altogether? With downright weird shit that misbehaves out of the blue, I like to try that first just to eradicate random, fickle-ass PC behaviours.

I'm pretty sure I restarted the game, but I'm definitely sure I didn't reboot the whole thing.
I just assumed that, considering my CPU isn't that powerful, maybe Shadowplay took a hit everytime something happened behind the game, like, an automatic refresh in Chrome, some chat messages popping up.
I'll retry later, after a reboot and let's see. :)

Noaloha

I'm pretty sure I restarted the game, but I'm definitely sure I didn't reboot the whole thing.
I just assumed that, considering my CPU isn't that powerful, maybe Shadowplay took a hit everytime something happened behind the game, like, an automatic refresh in Chrome, some chat messages popping up.
I'll retry later, after a reboot and let's see. :)

Quick check, just in case: PC or laptop? I might be recalling stuff out of my arse, but I've got it in my head that Nvidia laptop GPUs don't play as nicely with the Shadowplay app as do PC GPUs. If you're Skylining on a laptop, I'd look to that for an explanation / avenue of google troubleshooting.

Copons

Quick check, just in case: PC or laptop? I might be recalling stuff out of my arse, but I've got it in my head that Nvidia laptop GPUs don't play as nicely with the Shadowplay app as do PC GPUs. If you're Skylining on a laptop, I'd look to that for an explanation / avenue of google troubleshooting.

Desktop, i5-4440@3.10 and GTX780.
I actually never got stutterings while recording the desktop with Shadowplay in other cases (but I was recording like, the Genesis collection, so it's not like there was a great deal going on there :D ).

martino

So fire propagation mod

Is there any reason why firetrucks shouldn't have 'head to the nearest fire' behaviour instead of whatever it is they currently have?

I will never touch this mod if there is no change on how frequent fire happen. Coverage needed and quantity of burn down building and the fact you need to erase them is not good mecanic imo (and i doubt it try to simulate a realist thing).

seb

Banned
So fire propagation mod

Is there any reason why firetrucks shouldn't have 'head to the nearest fire' behaviour instead of whatever it is they currently have?

I always assumed they were heading to the fire they were assigned to when they leave the fire department. That seems like the right thing to do (if you want more realistic I mean).

Does C:S have any of the interesting/zany stuff that sim city used to have in its prime?

I'm talking things like disasters, scenarios based on history, llamas, population bonuses(arcologies!), humourous newspapers, buildings with drawbacks(fission plant = meltdown, microwave plant = misaimed laser, etc)

I like city building but I tend to drift away if it's too dry

As well as the asset/content manager I wish that there was an easier way to delete saved games, I have hundreds and deleting them all the current way gives me a migraine just thinking about it.

Jintor

I always assumed they were heading to the fire they were assigned to when they leave the fire department. That seems like the right thing to do (if you want more realistic I mean).

It's not nearly as realistic when they coil up their hoses and gleefully drive straight past the fire that just sprang up next door

Crispy75

Does C:S have any of the interesting/zany stuff that sim city used to have in its prime?

I'm talking things like disasters, scenarios based on history, llamas, population bonuses(arcologies!), humourous newspapers, buildings with drawbacks(fission plant = meltdown, microwave plant = misaimed laser, etc)

I like city building but I tend to drift away if it's too dry

Not really. At the moment it's quite dry, with only a Chirpy stream (twitter, basically) for your citizens to give you feedback. There are no disasters except those of your own making.

That said, this is without a doubt the best city builder since SC4, and will only get better with time.

Amzin

As well as the asset/content manager I wish that there was an easier way to delete saved games, I have hundreds and deleting them all the current way gives me a migraine just thinking about it.

If you aren't using Steam Cloud, you can probably find the local folder where they're stored and do it a lot easier.

I believe traffic calculates based on road distance and not on projected traffic, so since the other terminal is further away, no truck is gonna drive there ever.

They really need to fix that. It can break the game. I had grid locks on a tiny road when a huge 6 lane road was empty next to it.

Not really. At the moment it's quite dry, with only a Chirpy stream (twitter, basically) for your citizens to give you feedback. There are no disasters except those of your own making.

That said, this is without a doubt the best city builder since SC4, and will only get better with time.

cheers

Jintor

Erf,road weight doesn't take into a count potential road capacity ?
(more potential capacity -> less weigth for the road for the same length. So even shorter road with less capacity can weigth more when you compute the road to choose)

edit : and add to this speed limitation difference.
But i really hope the game is not length only based even if pathfinding for traffic is static.

I think what they calculate on is 'time to distance'. So squares to target multipled by speed limit. So naturally higher capacity roads with their higher speed limits will be preferenced (Which is why trunk roads work, unlike in Sim City 2013 where you'd have lorries trying to chug down side streets every chance they got)

However, traffic doesn't account for other traffic, and they all tend to jam into the next turning lane every chance they get, and they don't calculate alternate paths to things. So the optimal path on a squares/distance level is going to be the same for all agents (assuming general same target area, i.e. industrial park), so things get clogged very quickly.

This is mostly conjecture though since I don't know anything about coding.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm so close to pulling the trigger on this...

SC2000 was one of my favorite and most played games as a kid. SC4 was also incredible, and the mods available for traffic, flow, and customization were excellent. I didn't try the new SC because of all the crazy bullshit surrounding it.

In terms of the SC games, is Skylines more like 2000 or 4? And the Bombcast that talked about this game mentioned that traffic doesn't actually work like it "should"...Is that being addressed?

spiritfox

I'm so close to pulling the trigger on this...

SC2000 was one of my favorite and most played games as a kid. SC4 was also incredible, and the mods available for traffic, flow, and customization were excellent. I didn't try the new SC because of all the crazy bullshit surrounding it.

In terms of the SC games, is Skylines more like 2000 or 4? And the Bombcast that talked about this game mentioned that traffic doesn't actually work like it "should"...Is that being addressed?

It's closer to the newest Simcity actually, but between the 2, Simcity 4. And the traffic does work, even though vehicles tend to get into their turning lanes too early. You just have to plan it... like in an actual city.

Traffic isn't broken in that if you have a huge problem and traffic jam it can always be fixed with a redesign. That said, traffic mightn't flow as you expect it too as there are a few quirks with lanes (not bugs, design choices that need to be taken into account). I wouldn't say it's in desperate need of addressing, but it could do with some tweaks, plus you can pretty much change lane and road behaviour with several mods now.

Description says it acts as a metro station, so I'm guess "yes."

I really hope this actually connects to your metro network. Imagine your citizens waking up and being all "OH MY GOD WE HAVE A STARGATE" and then they walk through and it only teleports you twenty feet to the subway platform and they're all like "oh."

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh yeah, so I built a cargo train terminal in my industrial area, and so they upgraded... even though I haven't really connected it to any other terminal.

And even then what should I do with it? Connect it to my commercial zone? Also the ? says apparently I can connect it to another city?

Crispy75

Oh yeah, so I built a cargo train terminal in my industrial area, and so they upgraded... even though I haven't really connected it to any other terminal.

And even then what should I do with it? Connect it to my commercial zone? Also the ? says apparently I can connect it to another city?

Cargo trains have two functions:

1. Replacing trucks between industry and commerce: If you have a cargo station surrounded by industry linked to a cargo station surrounded by commerce, then you don't need highway between the two to cope with the demand.

2. Replacing trucks for import/export: Goods entering or leaving the city don't need to travel via the map-edge highways. If you have an office-heavy city, then most of the goods for your commerce will arrive as imports, so it can really make a difference.

You don't have to have separate railway networks for the two functions, but if rail traffic gets heavy you might need to.

Crispy75

Oh so I don't need to connect the cargo to the "edge" of the city to get that secondary effect?

Nope, just so long as you have two stations, cargo will flow between them.

EDIT: Sorry, I misread - in order to import/export you *do* need to connect to the map edge. It's the internal distribution that can operate independently

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wait, I need two cargo terminals for the second effect you mentioned? Where will I put the second terminal then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom