• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
At where ever you want the cargo to go. Trucks will spawn from that terminal to their destination.
I'm sorta confused. The help said that it would im/export stuff from outside the city lane, so how would I do that? Or does it do it automatically without the rails connecting to it?

Crispy75

I'm sorta confused. The help said that it would im/export stuff from outside the city lane, so how would I do that? Or does it do it automatically without the rails connecting to it?

Connect a single cargo station to the outside world. Cargo trains will arrive, trucks will spawn at the cargo station, deliver or collect goods, then drive back again.

Smash88

Banned
Didn't the devs mention they would be looking into monorails in the future?

Or at least that PR dude who streamed before release mentioned it was something they were looking into.

Crispy75

Cs3981A.png

So I simply bring the rail towards the edge?

For import/export, you need to connect to the existing railway line on the map. If you can't reach it, you'll need to purchase a tile with a railway line in it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Traffic isn't broken in that if you have a huge problem and traffic jam it can always be fixed with a redesign. That said, traffic mightn't flow as you expect it too as there are a few quirks with lanes (not bugs, design choices that need to be taken into account). I wouldn't say it's in desperate need of addressing, but it could do with some tweaks, plus you can pretty much change lane and road behaviour with several mods now.

It's closer to the newest Simcity actually, but between the 2, Simcity 4. And the traffic does work, even though vehicles tend to get into their turning lanes too early. You just have to plan it... like in an actual city.

Thanks guys. I thought I had heard that traffic behaves in an almost rudimentary fashion. That doesn't deter me, just wanted to see if anyone had issues that made traffic overly annoying. I don't want to read about the "optimal layout" to prevent traffic bullshit and find myself unable to enjoy the freeform nature of the game as a result.

Having said that, what's the best/cheapest place to get the game from in the US at the moment?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
For import/export, you need to connect to the existing railway line on the map. If you can't reach it, you'll need to purchase a tile with a railway line in it.

So that explains it. I keep searching all over the map but couldn't find it. Looks like I have to find the tile with the line.

Does C:S have any of the interesting/zany stuff that sim city used to have in its prime?

I'm talking things like disasters, scenarios based on history, llamas, population bonuses(arcologies!), humourous newspapers, buildings with drawbacks(fission plant = meltdown, microwave plant = misaimed laser, etc)

I like city building but I tend to drift away if it's too dry

Not really

If anything C:S has a really great base to work off of, but at the moment it's probably the best city simulator we've gotten in a VERY long time.

Like mentioned earlier in the thread. A 'Rush Hour' expansion similar to what we got in Sim City 4 would be fantastic. The base game is fantastic but there's still so much they could potentially do through mods and expansions. It's really exciting.

NimbusD

Cargo trains have two functions:

1. Replacing trucks between industry and commerce: If you have a cargo station surrounded by industry linked to a cargo station surrounded by commerce, then you don't need highway between the two to cope with the demand.

2. Replacing trucks for import/export: Goods entering or leaving the city don't need to travel via the map-edge highways. If you have an office-heavy city, then most of the goods for your commerce will arrive as imports, so it can really make a difference.

You don't have to have separate railway networks for the two functions, but if rail traffic gets heavy you might need to.

Ooooo, Fml, I've been connecting different industries to each other, and nothing to commercial districts. Yeesh. I keep doing stupid things in this game.

Grief.exe

I'm currently plopping cargo train stations at the majority of my main traffic onramps into my city.

Seems to reduce intercity highway traffic from my industrial sections tremendously.

Jintor

I'm currently plopping cargo train stations at the majority of my main traffic onramps into my city.

Seems to reduce intercity highway traffic from my industrial sections tremendously.

It does majorly increase traffic to and from the cargo station though

I'm fine with that

Firebrand

The idea of 6-lane roads that aren't highways is a bit weird to me, even more so if they have parking spaces on the sides. I guess if the outer lanes are supposed to be turning lanes that's one thing.

I guess I don't drive enough, or maybe I just live in a small-ass city.

Jintor

I like that my entire main road is bus stops so even if you install the trees no trees get planted

but everyone's happy anyway!

Also: give me bus lanes

It seems like multiple cims don't ride in cars, right? Just one at a time (+ their dog) or buses.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm kinda bummed that I've been so busy moving and working that I haven't had time to put together my 8-core Haswell-E PC yet so that I can finally grow my huge ass city to 1 million without it bringing my system to a crawl.

The idea of 6-lane roads that aren't highways is a bit weird to me, even more so if they have parking spaces on the sides. I guess if the outer lanes are supposed to be turning lanes that's one thing.

I guess I don't drive enough, or maybe I just live in a small-ass city.
Probably.

It seems like multiple cims don't ride in cars, right? Just one at a time (+ their dog) or buses.

Yep.

Megasoum

Banned
Anybody knows if there's a mod that will hide all the buildings when you enter the zoning mode?

Sometimes it gets really difficult to see the zoning because all the skyscrapers hide the grid.

Megasoum

Banned
Is there any reasons for using low density residential and commercial? As soon as I got access to the high density I kinda converted all my zoning. All of it is filled up now but I always have almost no demand on my RCI which means that even if my city is quite big, I'm stuck at around 60 000pop.

Matty8787

Is there any reasons for using low density residential and commercial? As soon as I got access to the high density I kinda converted all my zoning. All of it is filled up now but I always have almost no demand on my RCI which means that even if my city is quite big, I'm stuck at around 60 000pop.

I like to have areas of low as it tends to look prettier.

I don't know if low density is needed for anything, but I like to have low density residential suburbs just for aesthetic purposes more than anything. I also use low density/high-rise ban for higher up/cliffside housing just because it looks better/more realistic.

Getting your population stuck every so often is pretty common. Just keep topping up your residential zoning and demand will gradually create it. I feel like going between 100,000 and 200,000 my RCI was constantly low because I was just zoning and letting it do its thing when it could.

Also check unemployment. If residential is too far from industrial and/or you have poor public transport connections, or you have an imbalance of educated workers/non-educated jobs this will effect RCI -- nobody wants to move in because of unemployment, nobody wants more industry because it's already under-worked, and commercial will be low as a result of limited demand for the others.

Septimius

Erf,road weight doesn't take into a count potential road capacity ?
(more potential capacity -> less weigth for the road for the same length. So even shorter road with less capacity can weigth more when you compute the road to choose)

edit : and add to this speed limitation difference.
But i really hope the game is not length only based even if pathfinding for traffic is static.

Rest assured. It doesn't. It uses both distance (actual road distance) and speed limit to determine which seems to be the better option. Then it starts using that and times it. Then it checks if it is the actually fastest road, and that way the road will be off-loaded when traffic is high. Not by too much, but some.

martino

Rest assured. It doesn't. It uses both distance (actual road distance) and speed limit to determine which seems to be the better option. Then it starts using that and times it. Then it checks if it is the actually fastest road, and that way the road will be off-loaded when traffic is high. Not by too much, but some.

Ok so it is dynamic ; good

Crispy75

Is it advisable to put two cargo train terminal? Should it be beside each other or not at all?

I'll repeat myself:

Cargo trains have two functions:

1. Replacing trucks between industry and commerce: If you have a cargo station surrounded by industry linked to a cargo station surrounded by commerce, then you don't need highway between the two to cope with the demand.

2. Replacing trucks for import/export: Goods entering or leaving the city don't need to travel via the map-edge highways. If you have an office-heavy city, then most of the goods for your commerce will arrive as imports, so it can really make a difference.

You don't have to have separate railway networks for the two functions, but if rail traffic gets heavy you might need to.

Cs3981A.png

I suppose it might be worth placing two right next to each other if it's a very busy station. I'm considering it in my city, where I have a very large area of high-density commercial. Cargo trains are starting to back up outside the station, trying to bring in goods. But I'm not sure if the local roads will be able to handle the volume of trucks that 2 stations would produce.

Copons

Is there some kind of guide or guidelines to properly set balanced values for custom assets?
I'd like to create a park, but I don't know what should I do with its properties. I tried leaving the default values but it seems so underpowered in-game (like, barely any happy faces popped up).

Megasoum

Banned
New patch is out!

Greetings Chirpies!

Our post-launch adventure continues as Colossal Order bravely trek down the gritty path of fixing bugs and solving issues. Today we are excited to bring you another (mainly) bug-fixing focused patch.

As we're rolling out the update via steam it might take up to two hours, or so, for it to go live everywhere. Please re-start your steam or verify the game cache if the game does not automatically download the patch.

You can see which version number you're running in the lower right corner of the main menu, if you're not sure that you've gotten it.

Please take all patch related discussion to this thread:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/255710/discussions/0/611701999523878038/

1.0.7b - Patch Notes
Warning added when enabling a mod
Save to cloud box now remain checked if the loading was performed from a cloud save
Japanese garden for everyone
Added command line parameter "-limitfps x" to set a target fps
Mac/Linux: Fixed custom assets not loading due to an invalid PNG format.
Mac: Removed menu bar & docks in fullscreen mode
Asset Editor: the default size of assets created from templates now matches the template size if loading props
Asset Editor: fixed a case where the default textures may get corrupted and require to restart the game
Asset Editor: already placed props can now be moved around and rotated in place (respectively using the left and right mouse click) when no tools are selected
Asset Editor: fixed cases where LODs may not rotate with the building in the import panel
Steam workshop: Steam fixed the workshop not being showing when in offline mode in the latest Steam client release (24 Mar)
Locale: added LOADING text
Misc: fixed a case where command line arguments may conflict
Misc: removed an invalid key binding option
Misc: Added screenshot shortcuts to rebindable input (default is F12 for normal screenshot and shift+F12 for hi-res screenshot, also local screenshots now go to gameUserFolder/Screenshots) Steam screenshot feature is untouched and still the preferred method to take screenshots
Misc: Info views panel added to the Escape chain so the last Escape press will close the info views now
Misc: Save map does not show builtin and workshop maps any longer
UI: Fixed arrows sprites not showing feedback when interacted with
UI: Fixed color picker color not displaying in the right color space
No more duplicate name error for identical names coming from different packages
Paths can not be built inside elevated roads anymore
Elevated roads can now be upgraded or changed direction if one-ways
.ccs files displayed in red can now be selected in the load panel when trying to recover a failed save (when a save fails and attempt to
preserve itself generating a .ccs file)
french localization improved
general audio improvements (should help address the sound stuttering issue with some sound cards)

Once again we'd like to thank everyone who has taken their time to assist us in tracking and eliminating our technical issues. You're awesome.

The rest of you... well you're pretty darn cool too!

Regards,
The Cities: Skylines Team

Edit: WTF... I load my city and my pop is at -4800 a week!?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Ha. I was just coming to see what was going on. I launched Steam and tried to load the game and it said it was updating, so I checked the patch notes and it's 1.0.7b. But then in game it's back to 1.0.6b. I was confused but I'm glad to see it was a quick revert due to a bug.

I am worried about one of the features for Mac though. The one that says no menu bar or Dock on OS X. That better not mean I'll be losing my ability to swipe between apps while the game is running.

Corgi

Banned
where are the best places to place those unique buildings like the megamalls and stadiums?

I assume because they attract tourists you'd want them in the commercial district?

Crispy75

where are the best places to place those unique buildings like the megamalls and stadiums?

I assume because they attract tourists you'd want them in the commercial district?

They barely attract any tourists at all in my experience. Put them where they look nice.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Oh shit, so i need a cargo station in my industrial areas and at least one close to my commercial center? :p! No wonder I have so much truck traffic between industrial and commercial haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom