• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

so many young adults, I guess I should stop spamming high density residential?

Young Adults will take normal jobs unless you have a university in which case they will often pull out of their jobs and go to uni. I had a massive lack of worker problem until kids started graduating from Uni again.

Unai

I can't open the Steam UI inside the game (Shift + Tab), but the option to do so is selected. Anyone else have this problem?

Skux

All these beautiful cities on Reddit :( I try to design my cities for efficiency rather than aesthetics but they end up looking so boring.

I love how much this feels like a real Sim City 5. Everything from the music, to the art style, to the little bits of quirky humor in the fake Twitter feed, this game feels just like a proper, modern day Sim City. And the improvements and deviations the developers made from Sim City work well. Road building feels way easier than Sim City 4, for example. Adding bus lines are much better and more customizable. Adding stuff to a coast isn't an absolute chore like it is in SC4. It's even got long loading times and janky random hang ups like Sim City 4.... Err wait I could probably stand to see those improved lol. But anyway...

The developers of this should be very proud and EA should quite honestly be embarrassed that they messed up so bad a small indie dev comes in and stomps them at a genre they were uncontested in, for decades.

This is what a proper Sim City should play like. This is coming from someone who grew up playing the original Sim City on my dad's computer.

I really find the issue with industry to be difficult to deal with. In order to level up my industry so educated workers are willing to work for it I seem to need to create a mess bus lines. And when I succeed at achieving this, it's unreliable. I have demand for industry, but struggle with abandonment.

Kabouter

I really find the issue with industry to be difficult to deal with. In order to level up my industry so educated workers are willing to work for it I seem to need to create a mess bus lines. I have demand for industry, but my god does this seem needlessly difficult.

Have you tried building a cargo rail station next to your industry?

Good fire, police coverage? Because I have tons of level 3 industry with cargo rail + fire + police and no bus lines anywhere near it.

I have fire and police in my industry, yeah. I did achieve the higher tier, for the most part, but I still struggle with workers. It seemed like the bus lines had the most immediate effect.

spiritfox

I have fire and police in my industry, yeah. I did achieve the higher tier, for the most part, but I still struggle with workers. It seemed like the bus lines had the most immediate effect.

Is it a lack of workers? Transit lines and better traffic will make more people pick up the jobs, or you can force it by zoning more residential so there are more people to take the jobs.

DSN2K

just released my first attempt of workshop content, residential module, Im impressed how simple it is!

http://steamcommunity.com//workshop/filedetails/?id=415950836

637x358.resizedimage

Made this lovely cup of tea, completely forgot about it. 2000 people later it's cold. Thanks Cities Skylines.

I've just started playing so I'm building a new city each time I sit down. It's hard to be fiscally responsible. I got to a point where I didn't really want to grow because I hadn't planned ahead. Next game I'm going to try and be more green.

DEO3

All these beautiful cities on Reddit :( I try to design my cities for efficiency rather than aesthetics but they end up looking so boring.

I definitely play create my cities with aesthetics in mind, to the point where I can spend 20+ hours on a city and not even have 10,000 people. In fact, I don't think I've ever had more than 20,000 people in one of my cities since I spend so much time tweaking little details and just thinking about what I'm going to add next, with very little time spent actually building out new areas. For me, these games less like a game and more of a creative outlet, sort of like a bonsai tree/zen garden/model railroad.

spiritfox

I definitely play create my cities with aesthetics in mind, to the point where I can spend 20+ hours on a city and not even have 10,000 people. In fact, I don't think I've ever had more than 20,000 people in one of my cities since I spend so much time tweaking little details and just thinking about what I'm going to add next, with very little time spent actually building out new areas. For me, these games less like a game and more of a creative outlet, sort of like a bonsai tree/zen garden/model railroad.

You're not alone in that. I prefer making nice looking cities rather trying to max out population. The great thing about city builders like this is the fact that it can support both types of gameplay.

I don't even play it proper, I haven't turned the sandbox mods off since I got done with a tutorial playthrough.

It's nice when simulations ship with sandbox cheats, because that's how I enjoy playing them. I just like making stuff, I'm not good at or really want to do the management part.

Made it to 11,000 with my third city. I'm still too scared to expand out. Agriculture didn't really work out for me. It strikes me as a little strange that roads are locked away at the beginning. I feel like I really need those big roads to help ease choke points later on.

I have multiple monitors, and with that, edge panning doesn't work at all in the direction where I have the other monitor.

Is there a way to fix this? My fix so far has been to just disable the other monitor before I boot, but this is inconvenient.

I have multiple monitors, and with that, edge panning doesn't work at all in the direction where I have the other monitor.

Is there a way to fix this? My fix so far has been to just disable the other monitor before I boot, but this is inconvenient.

there's a mod called "cursor jail" that i've been using for that. And using wasd

DSN2K

guys im struggling with educated workers...I have plenty of schools, high schools, etc....but regardless my educated populace does not increase. Am I doing something wrong by just having loads of schools ?

Piano

Banned
So the EnhancedSteam plug-in is telling me currently the lowest price for Cities: Skylines is on DLGamer.

I've never heard of this website. Is it legit?
I really want this game.

Zoracka

So the EnhancedSteam plug-in is telling me currently the lowest price for Cities: Skylines is on DLGamer.

I've never heard of this website. Is it legit?
I really want this game.

Someone on Reddit asked the same thing I believe and a another sales-guy (from /r/gamedeals)said it was legit. I'll see if I can find the comment for you.

Edit: here. The answer from RyanTranquil a couple of posts down says it's legit.

Gr8one

I'm out of town and haven't had much time to play CS but I found some time to work on my workshop collection for custom buildings. I noticed a lot of the "custom" collections were just a bunch of recolors, or props spammed on vanilla buildings. I think I have every custom asset available so far if anyone wants to take a look.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409621624

I'm planning on making more collections more focused on custom statues, props, and types of growables to make it easier to find that kind of stuff in the future. Workshop really sucks for browsing or searching for that kind of stuff.

_woLf

So I get this error whenever I try opening any of my save games...

Object reference not set to an instance of an object [System.NullReferenceException]

Details:
No details
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at BuildingManager.SimulationStepImpl (Int32 subStep) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at SimulationManagerBase`2[Manager,Properties].SimulationStep (Int32 subStep) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at BuildingManager.ISimulationManager.SimulationStep (Int32 subStep) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at SimulationManager.SimulationStep () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at SimulationManager.SimulationThread () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Am I screwed? What the heck happened?

Edit: managed to find an auto-save that worked. most give me that error though. :(

DEO3

I'm out of town and haven't had much time to play CS but I found some time to work on my workshop collection for custom buildings. I noticed a lot of the "custom" collections were just a bunch of recolors, or props spammed on vanilla buildings. I think I have every custom asset available so far if anyone wants to take a look.

I'm planning on making more collections more focused on custom statues, props, and types of growables to make it easier to find that kind of stuff in the future. Workshop really sucks for browsing or searching for that kind of stuff.

Great collection, I just spent thirty minutes scrolling through the whole thing, can't imagine how much time it took to put together. It's incredible just how much content is available for this game already.

tauke

So far I'm enjoying building my new city with pedestrian friendly path in mind. It helps A LOT as Cims do bother to walk the distance provided it is more nearer than taking a car haha.

on a related note, anyone else having "Cities Skylines is not working" when closing the game?

Mine quit without any problem. Might be related to mods?

OchreHand

This is really a great list. Thanks for sharing.

From your list I discovered some really talented 3D modelers. I especially like the works of Ngon. His buildings look like they have some "history" behind them which is perfect for building a small town. and dat skate park :0

Unai

It's not a mod problem. I was having the same issue even without mods. Might be related to have some software running, like MSI Afterburner. I don't really know.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
It can be an asset problem, I have too many assets and sometimes I can't go back to the main menu without crashing the game.

If I unsubscribe from some assets, it closes well. If I have too much assets, it can crash on close or when going back to the main menu.

Finally got around to buying this at the weekend and you guys weren't joking when you said it eats time, nearly 7am when I realised what time it was and figured I should get to bed on Sunday morning!!!!

Spent ages working on my "city", everything was going smoothly and I was up to just over 15k population and from out of nowhere my electric started going down across the city and I couldn't work out why my coal power plants weren't producing any power, then I noticed they didn't have any coal. Had a quick google to see why that would happen and it turned out it would be delivery trucks not able to get to the plant. Then I started investigating the traffic and everything, everywhere was just total gridlock and I destroyed half my city in an attempt to try and fix it but it was too late, I ran out of money had exhausted all my loan options and was about -$150k in debt by the time I had realised what was happening. So I had to start all over again.

11/10 will play again this game is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom