• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kabouter

My latest city, as usual, already ran into the stupid tree limit. Shame that the tree limit mod is apparently extremely buggy :/

2015-03-31_000060muag.jpg

Overview of the city, not shown: A few more industry grids

1924DB3DE602D0DBE22D902E17A3EB2C9E348A4D

My university campus with both the old and new buildings (yes, I know one of the old buildings is a high school, but I felt that it fit :p)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Where do you get coal from anyways? I've figured out a good bit of this game, but I'd love to find a guide on how importing and exporting works on here.

Copons

I felt a mix of excitement and sadness the first time I realized how close you could zoom in to cities. It looks so amazing in this game... but I wanted to drive through it so badly!

Ah, I spend an inconsiderate amount of time faking driving around with the first person mod.
To the point that my girlfriend often asks me if this is yet another Euro Truck game. :D

FordGTGuy

Banned
Does anyone else find the service coverage to be too limited? It seems like it will only cover 20 miles down the road of the placement and nothing more.

My map has highways and more and you'd think that would be enough to allow a police station to operate within a 50 mile circle radius.

Unai

Does anyone else find the service coverage to be too limited? It seems like it will only cover 20 miles down the road of the placement and nothing more.

My map has highways and more and you'd think that would be enough to allow a police station to operate within a 50 mile circle radius.

I think highways and one way roads in general actually make the coverage smaller compared with a place with the same setting but two way roads instead.

Coolluck

I thought the map was only like 45 from corner to corner with all 25 tiles.

Jintor

The green radius is just land value raiding. Actual coverage depends on traffic conditions.

Crispy75

I'm running Stricter Slopes and Fine Slope Adjustment mods now. Makes intersection design MUCH more difficult, especially in uneven terrain. I'm attempting a simple 4-ramp intersection half way up a river valley and it's really forcing me to work with the terrain. Great stuff :)

RP912

Banned
That moment when you make a city that's perfect...only to unlock another thing of land :(. I have no idea what district to create on the new land at all.

dejay

Banned
Couldn't agree more :D

Do you bulldoze trees before you build? Covered trees pop back up when you bulldoze roads, etc - do these covered trees count to your tree limit?

I've seen a mod that removes all covered trees - I'm wondering if this would help.

Kabouter

Do you bulldoze trees before you build? Covered trees pop back up when you bulldoze roads, etc - do these covered trees count to your tree limit?

I've seen a mod that removes all covered trees - I'm wondering if this would help.

That might help, any chance you could link that mod? :D

tauke

I need to try creating a more realistic housing layout later as I've been sticking to the grid layout.

Also I wish there is a way to forced a building not to be upgraded. I want that Lawson and Down n Out building to remain there!

CTLance

I need to try creating a more realistic housing layout later as I've been sticking to the grid layout.

Also I wish there is a way to forced a building not to be upgraded. I want that Lawson and Down n Out building to remain there!
Not sure if it'll work like that, but I think it should: Make the two buildings into a tiny district and use the no highrise policy?

tauke

Not sure if it'll work like that, but I think it should: Make the two buildings into a tiny district and use the no highrise policy?

Hmm interesting idea! Will give it a try later. The Lawson building has three level of upgrades and it is currently at two.

MrGlass

Has anyone found a mod that will allow the moving/deleting of cemeteries or landfills when they're not empty? When i have to put down a road or move things around i kind of don't want to wait for them to empty first. Especially if the capacity is nearly full.

dejay

Banned
That might help, any chance you could link that mod? :D

I....I don't know where it is. Either it's been taken down or it was a false memory, perhaps based on a requested/suggested mod I read on reddit skylines. I was positive I saw it in the workshop yesterday.

Either way, apologies for raising your hopes.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

That's actually an interesting point, I wonder if the "covered" trees count in the limit. A mod like that could seriously free up tree space if that's happening.

I imagine it does since if the area gets cleared the trees come back, tree removal would be really useful.

lol some people are just insane :O

vsav2Fa.jpg

That's similar to an idea I had for a city though IDK if I'd have water separating places. But the idea of having it be circular with a central high density commercial/office area with low density suburbs (probably with a highrise ban) around it with some low density commercial for each area is something I want to try.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'd really like a way to click on a factory or office and have it highlight where all of its workers live in some sort of heat map so I can plan my public transportation better.

Grief.exe

I work for a civil engineering company. I have all kinds of plans for housing and commercial developments sitting around the office.

I just realized I should grab a couple and work in some similar designs for my residential areas.

NimbusD

My latest city, as usual, already ran into the stupid tree limit. Shame that the tree limit mod is apparently extremely buggy :/

What mod are you using for the pedestrian paths? I know there's one that lets you zone on them, does it also automatically add the crossings on roads? Is there an issue at all with services reaching the buildings?

That moment when you make a city that's perfect...only to unlock another thing of land :(. I have no idea what district to create on the new land at all.

Just make your current city the 'North' section, and start building the 'South' section or something like that. Imagine they're two cities (even thought they can't split services or anything like that).

RP912

Banned
What mod are you using for the pedestrian paths? I know there's one that lets you zone on them, does it also automatically add the crossings on roads? Is there an issue at all with services reaching the buildings?

Just make your current city the 'North' section, and start building the 'South' section or something like that. Imagine they're two cities (even thought they can't split services or anything like that).

I just created a suburb/downtown type of expansion for my current city with that space.. Something like King of Purssia to Philadelphia.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I wish they'd give us something to do with ground pollution. Even if it's just moving it somewhere else. I built this industry spot by the highway for my newest city to get some money going. Now that I've expanded, I've got an oil field that's generating tons of cash and a farm area that's generating tons of cash. Both sides want more low income workers and the spot where the generic Industry area I built would be perfect to build a bunch more low residential homes. I've got it set up essentially where north of the highway is my low residence/industry area and south of it is my high density/office area. The generic industry spot is making almost no cash, but I can't do anything with it due to all the pollution. I can't put homes over it. I don't need shops there and it would be a really bad place for them.

so my options are to leave the generic industry spot there while it accumulates more pollution, to build homes over it and make everyone in that area sick or to just unzone the whole thing and wait an eternity for the pollution to die down.

Amzin

I'm betting that those Chirpy costumes will be modded into C:S by the end of the day, if they aren't up already.

RP912

Banned
I wish they'd give us something to do with ground pollution. Even if it's just moving it somewhere else. I built this industry spot by the highway for my newest city to get some money going. Now that I've expanded, I've got an oil field that's generating tons of cash and a farm area that's generating tons of cash. Both sides want more low income workers and the spot where the generic Industry area I built would be perfect to build a bunch more low residential homes. I've got it set up essentially where north of the highway is my low residence/industry area and south of it is my high density/office area. The generic industry spot is making almost no cash, but I can't do anything with it due to all the pollution. I can't put homes over it. I don't need shops there and it would be a really bad place for them.

so my options are to leave the generic industry spot there while it accumulates more pollution, to build homes over it and make everyone in that area sick or to just unzone the whole thing and wait an eternity for the pollution to die down.

I just usually leave my bad industry parts abandoned since it's really a lost cause. It's annoying as hell but it's better than just trying to put something over it and it'l be a mess and a half.

Kabouter

It's the zoneable path mod that allows that, and you need services to reach your stuff that is connected only to zoneable paths, so you do need to connect those paths to roads.

For something else, I love this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCN1GLj5P8g&feature=youtu.be

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So I've been experimenting with power sources in my city. Was making too much cash exporting ore to build another ore plant. So I build a dam. Works great. Getting low on energy? Let me build another dam a couple feet from this one.

And 20 seconds later, the water... It begins to rise. It floods some of my city so I scramble to bulldoze the dam. Recovered, thankfully. But the water's still way too high and I begin to have some flooding on my first dam. It slows down, but the water's still too high. I bulldoze my original dam. Now I fucked up. The only way I can explain it is this massive blob of water came out from the river and my only comparison to what it looked like
Legion_of_Doom.jpg

"Water. It's fucking scary."

Crispy75

I'm running Stricter Slopes and Fine Slope Adjustment mods now. Makes intersection design MUCH more difficult, especially in uneven terrain. I'm attempting a simple 4-ramp intersection half way up a river valley and it's really forcing me to work with the terrain. Great stuff :)

Finally got this working! These are the steepest slopes you can make with the Stricter mod. Very challenging in this terrain!

Urz8eYS.jpg

Dinjoralo

Well, I somehow broke my save up by playing around with mods trying to get them all working properly. Here's a tip: The Randomly Generated Building Names mod breaks just about all other mods.
Actually, It seems like I've broken my game, since saving now results in an error and the game not saving. Not sure what to do now.

RS4-

I think mine is sort of screwed up too; might have something to do with the extended public transit ui.

I deleted some bus lines, then added some new ones; the old ones are still there in the info/ui, but I can't edit or delete them. Nor can I unselect all to make them disappear and do them individually.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Someone made a ferris wheel but as a prop instead of a unique building. It's too bad as I'd love that old Coney Island look for my current city.

Fuck having to make road bridges over trains though. Looks so bad in residential/commercial areas.

RS4-

Is there a fix I'm missing where they actually display a thumbnail of the asset? Most notably the section that has the roundabouts and such.

Someone made a ferris wheel but as a prop instead of a unique building. It's too bad as I'd love that old Coney Island look for my current city.

Fuck having to make road bridges over trains though. Looks so bad in residential/commercial areas.

Wait, there are one-way 4-lane roads? I was wondering why they'd leave something out like that. Ditto for me I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom