• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
New PC finally built. Octo-core/16 threads. Still only 30% utilization on max speed with 200k population. Wish I could unlock more utilization somehow :p

Obf0l7U.png

Seanspeed

Banned
I've noticed that 'FPS' is starting to be used for any first person camera perspective by some.

The 'shooter' part is still kinda important...

Galdius

I bought this game when it released but I was waiting for my new notebook to play it. Well, yesterday I finally got it and then I downloaded it. I played 20 minutes alone and I didn't get much done. After that my girlfriend arrive and we started a new game. She played 1h20-1h30 and loved it. I was playing with her but she was the one controlling almost everything. It was extremely fun to play this game with her.

I'm dating her for three and a half years and this was the first game she really liked it. before she had played a bit of Rayman Origins and Legends with me but this game really clicked with her. Today she even asked me what is was called and bought it. Now I can't wait for the next weekend to play more with her.

I remember people talking about one day maybe getting to do this sort of thing in SimCity, and though we sort of kind of got there with Rush Hour missions in SC4, walking around in your own city was still a pipe dream.

Until someone made a Cities: Skylines mod in the three? weeks after launch that does exactly that. Not only is the future finally here, it's brought to you by a mod programmer doing this as a hobby and working out of an apartment somewhere. Crazy.

Heh, my poorly planned city is mired in a crime wave.

I over-developed, lost power to half the city, made everyone drank poo water for a for days before I realised what was happening, and now there are criminal bubbles everywhere.

I finally have a nice core to my city and now time to beautify and improve it. I already added a downtown university and a bunch of sports complexes. It looks nice.

also traffic

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I bought this game when it released but I was waiting for my new notebook to play it. Well, yesterday I finally got it and then I downloaded it. I played 20 minutes alone and I didn't get much done. After that my girlfriend arrive and we started a new game. She played 1h20-1h30 and loved it. I was playing with her but she was the one controlling almost everything. It was extremely fun to play this game with her.

I'm dating her for three and a half years and this was the first game she really liked it. before she had played a bit of Rayman Origins and Legends with me but this game really clicked with her. Today she even asked me what is was called and bought it. Now I can't wait for the next weekend to play more with her.

Did you check out The Sims yet? That's usually a good one for this sort of thing.

Zanosuke

The game have suddenly started to stop responding for me since yesterday and I have no idea why.. Can play for like 15 min max before the game freezes and I have to use ctrl-alt-del. Disabled most of the mods but that didn't make a difference :(

tonythedemon

Neo Member
New PC finally built. Octo-core/16 threads. Still only 30% utilization on max speed with 200k population. Wish I could unlock more utilization somehow :p

Have you tried running it at 3x speed. For me on my quad core i5 2500K 3x speed uses up 90% CPU and on 1x speed it uses up 70% - 80%.

Ok each of my fire stations/police stations/landfills are only using 0-2 cars/trucks per building. anyone know why that is? I'm getting high crime right next to a police headquarters...

Galdius

Did you check out The Sims yet? That's usually a good one for this sort of thing.

She played The Sims when she was younger but I don't think it would appeal to her now, at least she never told me she want to play it. Tonight we went out and when i was leaving she at her home she told me she was going to play a bit more tonight.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
The developers of this should be very proud and EA should quite honestly be embarrassed that they messed up so bad a small indie dev comes in and stomps them at a genre they were uncontested in, for decades.

This is what a proper Sim City should play like. This is coming from someone who grew up playing the original Sim City on my dad's computer.

Yep, CSL is every bit the fantastic game that I expected & wished Simcity 5 was going to be. I'm a very happy city building enthusiast now. :)

I definitely play create my cities with aesthetics in mind, to the point where I can spend 20+ hours on a city and not even have 10,000 people. In fact, I don't think I've ever had more than 20,000 people in one of my cities since I spend so much time tweaking little details and just thinking about what I'm going to add next, with very little time spent actually building out new areas. For me, these games less like a game and more of a creative outlet, sort of like a bonsai tree/zen garden/model railroad.

I'm not quite that bad, but I do fall into long sessions where I do just that. Hell, I spend over an hour the other night simply making a custom roundabout, I kept tweaking it and rebuilding it simply because I didn't like the way part of it looked, I wanted it perfect.

It's now perfect. :D

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I did and it didnt do anything. *sigh* Maybe a bug?

I think you don't have enough fires to warrant them sending out so many fire trucks. I don't think they send out more. The problem gets worse because they don't have proximity priority, especially if your traffic is bad.

edit: The green roads just show the service coverage that influences level ups. In reality, the fire trucks go all over the map.

How is there no tsunami mod out for this game yet? I was playing around in the map editor, and I kept getting mesmerized by how the water reacted to how you terraformed the land and would flood lower areas on the maps!

P44

What do you guys think?

WdNYxM9.jpg

I think you'll love what I'm working on. Pretty good though. Nice looking with all the forestry dotted around.

I flipped out about half an hour ago

got tired of age-itis

dezoned about 30k people out of existence

we're going to do it right this time

I think you don't have enough fires to warrant them sending out so many fire trucks. I don't think they send out more. The problem gets worse because they don't have proximity priority, especially if your traffic is bad.

edit: The green roads just show the service coverage that influences level ups. In reality, the fire trucks go all over the map.

Well the biggest problem is the garbage trucks. Only two trucks per landfill/incinerator and it piles up quickly.

Kabouter

You could just edit some in yourself if you really want to. Besides, oil doesn't last long anyway.

Infinite resource mod is pretty much essential for now. No point in ore or oil industry without it.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=411444925
I use this map, because it's flat, which means I can actually use all the intersections and stuff I download off the workshop without having to spend five minutes finding a place I can plop it down.

Edit:
I ran out of space a bit and wanted a train station next to those monuments, so...meet Rollercoaster Rail! :+

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
What is the highest amount of population you need to unlock everything?

90k to unlock monuments?

I think monuments are unlocked at 75K pop?

Infinite resource mod is pretty much essential for now. No point in ore or oil industry without it.

The industries still work after resources are depleted, they just have to import the materials afterwards (which creates more traffic of course). I have to admit though I may end up using the infinite resource mod too, they certainly do run out far too quickly now. It's like I zone up some oil industry and within minutes the oil is all sucked up. There will be blood man, there will be blood.

Grief.exe

OMG, Magic Mapper is amazing. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=416064574

Primary function is to import OpenStreetMaps into terrain.party-gnereated maps, but it also allows you to export your city into OSM, which you can then use to make real-looking maps:

Here's my old downtown area

YyH3p2D.png

That downtown area has character, my downtown area is just separated into three massive grids.

One of my grids needs to be reworked as much of it is a mix of low density commercial/residential with high density as it is where I started my city initially. And I need to rework the highway inputs to my more efficient system I came up with over the course of this city's development.

So much to do!

Crispy75

That downtown area has character, my downtown area is just separated into three massive grids.
The character comes from only ever making small extensions at a time. The original core is still buried in there, but I spent the early game flitting between various interconnected "towns" rather than making continuous extensions of the central area. I'd only build roads appropriate to the current size of each area, rather than planning ahead. Over time, the towns have merged, and whole areas have been bulldozed for wider roads. This layering of history is hard to fake, and is the only way to get that authentic look, IMO.

Gr8one

I'll be home in a few more days but until then no CS. Unfortunately this game makes my laptop go nuclear so I've been stuck browsing the workshop and watching lets plays (Skye drives me insane, but his enthusiasm is contagious). That magic mapper mod looks phenomenal, and there has been so many fantastic buildings being uploaded to workshop in the last few days. I posted a few in the modding thread.

There's so many mods I want to play with and buildings that need plopping and I'm dying here only able to draw up plans for my next city.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
That Tokyo map on the Workshop is kind of cool if you're looking for a fun challenge. Almost no streaming rivers. Just lakes and not a ton of zoneable land.

Does pollution in the water ever go away once you've gotten the treatment facility? The area by my residential looks so.... well, shitty.

Gr8one

A shout out for all the fans of Filipino fast food:

16784964737_86e6a01f88_o.png

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=417297214&searchtext=

That Tokyo map on the Workshop is kind of cool if you're looking for a fun challenge. Almost no streaming rivers. Just lakes and not a ton of zoneable land.

Does pollution in the water ever go away once you've gotten the treatment facility? The area by my residential looks so.... well, shitty.

Even with treatment facilities it never goes away completely unless you move your treatment facilities to a new location but there will be less of it. Once you open up all your 9/25 tiles find a nice secluded place and dump dat shit so it flows out of the map to your neighbors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom