• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SumGamer

Build myself a nice one way roundabout for a rural area which works wonderfully. Then I start joining the traffic with the major cities causing a deadlock inside the roundabout and freezing all services for the whole region. Trash + Deads every where, population down by 20%. Ouch, never again.

Fox318

So I've been experimenting with power sources in my city. Was making too much cash exporting ore to build another ore plant. So I build a dam. Works great. Getting low on energy? Let me build another dam a couple feet from this one.

And 20 seconds later, the water... It begins to rise. It floods some of my city so I scramble to bulldoze the dam. Recovered, thankfully. But the water's still way too high and I begin to have some flooding on my first dam. It slows down, but the water's still too high. I bulldoze my original dam. Now I fucked up. The only way I can explain it is this massive blob of water came out from the river and my only comparison to what it looked like
Legion_of_Doom.jpg

"Water. It's fucking scary."

Somebody needs to make the hall of justice as a police station

Jintor

I hope someone mods in vast rolling fields of agriculture at some point. Kills me making these tiny grids for farming.

I know you can toss in custom parks but it's just not the same

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I am running out of ideas to deal with traffic flow in my main commercial area. I have built so many convoluted ramps to try to drag it out then it just ends up fucking my service vehicles and making for insanely busy intersections.

dejay

Banned
I am running out of ideas to deal with traffic flow in my main commercial area. I have built so many convoluted ramps to try to drag it out then it just ends up fucking my service vehicles and making for insanely busy intersections.

Often it's a case of identifying where the traffic is going and seeing if you can encourage part of that traffic onto another route. Basically divide and conquer. There are a few ways of doing it.

1 Slower roads can lead to less traffic - vehicles look for the fastest route by looking at the speed limit of a road and the distance. If you downgrade a road from, say, 6 lanes to 4 lanes, the speed limit is reduced and it becomes less attractive, so some of the vehicles on that route may look for a different route. You can upgrade to a higher speed road on the alternative route as well to make the alternative more attractive.

In the first picture below (keep in mind traffic is driving on the left hand side of the road), I had trouble with a few of these areas. Road (1) was constantly backed up to the roundabout and the roundabout was always blocked, hence the bypasses on the roundabouts, which didn't actually work. The solution was to change road (1) from a six lane to a four lane and to change road (2) from a four lane to a six lane. With the difference in speed limit between the two roads now 20km/h, it made road (2) more attractive to a big chunk of my traffic and within minutes the traffic on road (1) was no longer gridlocked.

2 One way roads - if there's a lot of traffic using one road, if you make it so cars can't go down that route, they'll look for alternatives. Do it right, and there will be two alternative routes that may further to get to, but your traffic will be divided more evenly and it will flow. Use different one way roads, some leading in, some leading out, although it can affect services as you say, but flowing traffic that needs a few more ploppable buildings is better than gridlocked traffic.

3 Lane control mod - this can have the same effect as one way roads, but you can allow some traffic onto a road, but control the direction from which it turns from. It's a cool mod, although I think the author is still trying to get some of the kinks out. Sometimes the arrows on the road reflect restrictions and sometimes they don't. I'd like to see official implementation of this as micro-managing lane use and road access is a major tool in controlling traffic in real life. I only use it on three intersections in my city, but it's made a world of difference.

If you look at the first picture again, I had a lot of traffic turning left from the north into intersection (3) to go east. This was interfering with the traffic that I wanted to come down into road (2). My plan was to encourage traffic to come into east neighbourhood from intersection (4), rather than coming straight in from the roundabout. The solution was to put a no-left turn from the North at intersection (3), whilst allowing right-hand turns from the South.

The second picture explains it better and shows the lane control mod in action. The area highlighted blue is the segment of road you want to micromanage and the red and green areas indicate areas in which you allow traffic to flow from that segment. I could have put a one-way road in to stop cars travelling west to east on that little road, but I wanted traffic coming along the avenue from the south to be able to access that neighbourhood from that road if possible.

The mod has actually been dumbed down from before, as it used to give you control over every lane, but at least now it doesn't mess up public transport like it did when it was first released.

Whilst I only have a population of 52k, I only have one high-density commercial zone and it's super busy. I also have free public transport in my commercial area and lots of subways and buses linking everything together to encourage use of public transport. The last shot shows my downtown area traffic. 95% of my commercial is high density, whilst 95% of my residential is low density; I wanted lots of urban sprawl with a central business district. As you can see, there is lots of red in my CBD, but it's all flowing.

I don't know if any of this would be of assistance or if your area is simply beyond help, but I thought I'd share anyway :D

rager

Banned
I love using terrain.party. I created a map based off of St. Thomas Virgin Islands. I cannot wait to reach Megan's Bay.
N6m4t4h.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So I know near intersections are bad for traffic, but I want to make the most out of my road to tile range. I'm so frustrated.

Copons

I pretty much just have the Tough City achievement left. I really am not looking forward to that one.
I did that yesterday, in fact is not that hard, but only a little time consuming (I guess the mod that adda 6x speed helps a lot).

Apparently, the trick is to make people drive a lot and to spread out various zones.
I basically built only a road, semi circular starting from the highway entrance and spanning the entire map. On one side I built industries, on the other residential and at the center commercial.
The single zone expansions were done with long roads starting from the original semi circle. After a couple of these long blocks I also deleted the original road connetting the s sides of the blocks forcing a sort of perverse zig-zag pattern.

Anyway, plop a fire station near the industries, a garbage dump a hospital and a graveyard far from everything to avoid the happiness radius, and basically that's it.

Fine tune everything adjusting the residential taxes (higher = more crime) to allow people to come in but not leave and avoid building in great size to not have sudden changes to the crime rate (empty and abandoned buildings count as no crime, iirc).

All in all an easy achiev. :)

EDIT: if my description was a little confuse, this is a picture to better explain the road layout:

I built until ~2500 pop to get to the milestone needed to unlock the Court House (>50% crime for 10 weeks) at the same time, but I guess it's doable with much less people?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So guys and gals, uh, hypothetically speaking..if I built a giant hamster statue in the city, what would be a suitable, concise and apt engraving to have on the base?

Just askin'

This was the solution to my worst traffic problem as of yet.

Really annoyed me since I ran highways all around every district and it went from working flawlessly to complete chaos for no discernible reason.

I have no clue what I actually build.

Also the game runs pretty crappy on my Surface Pro 2 8GB, have to lower the resolution drastically and the gfx.

Grief.exe

Seems I've run into a little bit of a population issue. I wonder what is causing people to leave my city in droves, I'm wondering if it is my unemployment which is sitting at 25%.

My land values are high, my happiness is sitting at over 90% for every category. The only thing that is probably bringing me down is my unemployment.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I have hideous train tracks all over the lake diving my city. IT's so useful to have those tracks, but they're so god damn hideous.

Lexxism

Seems I've run into a little bit of a population issue. I wonder what is causing people to leave my city in droves, I'm wondering if it is my unemployment which is sitting at 25%.

My land values are high, my happiness is sitting at over 90% for every category. The only thing that is probably bringing me down is my unemployment.

I'm curious. How's your traffic?

Grief.exe

I'm curious. How's your traffic?

Perfect.

There are a couple spots I need to optimize, but no real congestion.

I have hideous train tracks all over the lake diving my city. IT's so useful to have those tracks, but they're so god damn hideous.

I essentially looped my entire city with 2 parallel tracks, then connect to my stations and outside sections from there.

Full disclosure, the rail portion of my budget is astronomical.

jwhit28

So I built a roundabout out of highway ramp but for some reason cars are just getting on it and sitting still. I tried upgrading it to highway thinking they need more lanes and it didn't help. Any suggestions?

Unai

So I built a roundabout out of highway ramp but for some reason cars are just getting on it and sitting still. I tried upgrading it to highway thinking they need more lanes and it didn't help. Any suggestions?

The same thing happend to me once in the highway. I have no idea why.

Grief.exe

I'm fairly certain my population dive has to do with my unemployment issues. I wonder why it is that low.

I've just been purely zoning industrial and commercial even if demand is technically low. They seem to be building, and my unemployment has been going lower with less citizens leaving per week.

One complaint I frequenlty see is the 'no goods to sell' from my commercial buildings. I don't have as much industry, but I have been building cargo trains for import and that seems to alleviate the issue.

Seanspeed

Banned
I think there are traffic lights being put there, treating it like a traditional intersection.

Isn't there a mod that allows you to take out traffic lights where you don't want them?

I started using person transport trains in my city of Sognedal and damn, the trains are stuck outside of my influence on the map. All my rails are full of trains and nothing is moving until one train outside disappears after x seconds not moving. This continues on and on :( ARGH

I guess I need to abandon this city :(

I started using person transport trains in my city of Sognedal and damn, the trains are stuck outside of my influence on the map. All my rails are full of trains and nothing is moving until one train outside disappears after x seconds not moving. This continues on and on :( ARGH

cut the connection for a while, after they vanish rethink the net.

dejay

Banned
There is no rethink :( Only one IN/OUT for rails on this map though :( I guess that is the problem with the spawning/despawning

If you can help it keep passenger and freight lines totally separate and only connect your freight network to the outside. Use passenger ships, planes and cars to get tourists in.

In my experience trains also need some leeway for turning maneuvers, so make rails more spacious. After doing this, a major train gridlock was solved (more than 10 trains were stuck).

Grief.exe

Need separate lines for each type of rail.

If you really want to kill rail traffic, make separate stations for your international and local connections. IE have your international cargo line terminate with a station, then connect that to another line that transports the goods locally.

t-ramp

This little rail junction included in whatever map I'm using just completely quit working once I'd built quite a few stations. Trains would get stuck trying to move around each other, so I ended up just disconnecting the two main rails there. So far I haven't actually made any train routes or anything, not sure if I need to be doing that or not.

My city is at about 160k now, I believe.

I basically just have the area in the left foreground to finish filling out my 9 tiles, then I'll probably retire this city.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So, just throwing it out there: how many of you would be interested in pitching in to mini-crowdfund a custom made asset? For example, a neogaf themed building or something.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
So, just throwing it out there: how many of you would be interested in pitching in to mini-crowdfund a custom made asset? For example, a neogaf themed building or something.

Interesting concept, who would you have build it?

I was trying to handle a dam, but damn, it did not work out. Instead I got a wasteland full of sickness, death, and abonded buildings.

Damn the dams!

ti5fvBj.jpg

n6fe2kX.jpg

fruIJuY.jpg

JSTlIld.jpg

SumGamer

I have the same problem before. Since your roundabout is one way, every car that wish to travel need to queue in the traffic. Now imagine if a car enter the roundabout wanting to go left but cannot, it has to turn right and join the traffic. Now imagine, every entrances to the roundabout has multiple cars that want to do exactly this. You get a deadlock. Every car in that roundabout wanting to go to (maybe) the opposite road each blocking the others.

Solution, there are multiple solutions surely. Like limit number of entrances or make roundabout bigger. What I did was just make it two-way roundabout instead of one-way. Work out beautiful. This problem is causing the entire town of mine losing 10k population with rubbish and deads every where. Grim situation to get into. Hope it helps!

SumGamer

I was trying to handle a dam, but damn, it did not work out. Instead I got a wasteland full of sickness, death, and abonded buildings.

Damn the dams!

ti5fvBj.jpg

n6fe2kX.jpg

fruIJuY.jpg

JSTlIld.jpg

Someone need to make a guide to understand the effect of dam. I once flood major part of the railway which is quite a big trouble.

Jintor

the other deal with roundabouts of course is to make sure that it moves in the direction of traffic; for instance, all my roundabouts go clockwise because I play on left-hand traffic aligned maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom