• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

red731

Yay! Here is your high school you chirping bastards.

By the way - you can track down the person who chirped by clicking on his house and demolish it.

Grief.exe

Son of a bitch. Exactly what I feared. Fuck Unity on OS X in the ass. It will not launch on my 15" Retina MacBook Pro with the top of the line 750M GPU. It crashes halfway through the fullscreen animation. I have this problem with 95% of the Unity games I download. Fuck this fucking shit. I don't know how to fix it. I don't know how to decipher the Console messages.

Code:
3/10/15 2:19:11.530 PM Cities[16980]: WARNING: The Gestalt selector gestaltSystemVersion is returning 10.9.3 instead of 10.10.3. Use NSProcessInfo's operatingSystemVersion property to get correct system version number.
Call location:
3/10/15 2:19:11.531 PM Cities[16980]: 0   CarbonCore                          0x00007fff967432b7 ___Gestalt_SystemVersion_block_invoke + 113
3/10/15 2:19:11.531 PM Cities[16980]: 1   libdispatch.dylib                   0x00007fff8d710c13 _dispatch_client_callout + 8
3/10/15 2:19:11.531 PM Cities[16980]: 2   libdispatch.dylib                   0x00007fff8d710b26 dispatch_once_f + 117
3/10/15 2:19:11.531 PM Cities[16980]: 3   CarbonCore                          0x00007fff966cc466 _Gestalt_SystemVersion + 987
3/10/15 2:19:11.531 PM Cities[16980]: 4   CarbonCore                          0x00007fff966cb6f3 Gestalt + 144
3/10/15 2:19:11.531 PM Cities[16980]: 5   Cities                              0x00000001008ab47f _ZN12GraphicsCaps18DetectDriverBugsGLEi + 95
3/10/15 2:19:11.531 PM Cities[16980]: 6   Cities                              0x00000001008ab0d0 _ZN12GraphicsCaps6InitGLEv + 5936
3/10/15 2:19:11.583 PM WindowServer[122]: Surface testing disallowed updates for 10 sequential attempts...
3/10/15 2:19:11.592 PM WindowServer[122]: Surface test allowed updates after 11 attempts

I'm downloading on my iMac now. But if it doesn't work there either, I don't know what I'll do except cry.

...meanwhile on Linux

Happy citizens everywhere.

Klyka

Banned
Pedestrian paveways are GOAT.

OV90oe8.jpg

Psykoboy2

How do I get water and electricty to the houses?

Plop a source, then run power lines or pipe to the nessesary area. There is an AOE for power and a pretty big coverage area for water.

Water needs an intake and an outflow. Both need to be connected by pipes and pips also serve to deliver the water to the zones.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
...meanwhile on Linux

Happy citizens everywhere.
Hahaha. Actually fixing my permissions appears to have fixed it. I am playing around right now. I have to work in an hour so I won't be able to join in the fun until 10. But then I have a whole day to do nothing but mayor so I can't wait!

Aerocrane

I love the style of this game, it looks great visually. I'm surprised by how many of my new town's inhabitants can afford nice sports cars considering the fact that all available jobs are low level :)

Whoever figures out what (if any) Antialiasing Compatibility value works for this game in Nvidia Inspector, I will draw your avatar in MS Paint. I tried the typical Unity value (0x004000C1) but no dice. It's DX11 so there might not be an override at all, but I would love to be proven wrong.

I may settle for downsampling but I hope to figure out overriding AA first.

fantomena

Plop a source, then run power lines or pipe to the nessesary area. There is an AOE for power and a pretty big coverage area for water.

Water needs an intake and an outflow. Both need to be connected by pipes and pips also serve to deliver the water to the zones.

Got the electrcity, now to get the water.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Treasury ended up with $1000. Took out a 20K loan, whooped up industrial and commercial taxes... crisis averted. SC2013 was never this fun goddammit :p. 3K population so far.

Psykoboy2

Is there ever an option to build water treatment facilities instead of just pumping sewage into the waterways?

Yes. You'll unlock it later. Obviously make sure your sewage doesn't flow into your water intake.

Questions for those who have it and are playing:

Do you have full control over the terrain before starting a city? As in, do I have a "budget" to modify the terrain with and once that's spent I have to either edit or proceed to city creation?

Can you make mountains and deep canyons? How high / low can you go basically?

Is there a limit to bridge length?

Is there a technology tree or any advancement that is visualized in the game? As in, do buildings get upgraded over time like in Sim City or are they always the exact same way they are when they are first built?

No. No way to modify terrain unless you use the map editor. But there are no options when you start a city to modify the terrain.

Not sure.

I'd imagine the only limit is your budget.

They get upgraded, but only by providing services around the area (parks, schools, police, etc.). The better the land value, the more people will want to live there and places will upgrade. Be mindful of low density and high density zoning.

My god this game is hard, I have 4 wind turbines and it almost isn't enough for my city with 2.200 inhabitants. And I don't have that much money either :/

Care to post a screenshot of your area with the electricity map overlay?

Anybody here with an i3 processor? Does the game run above 20 fps most the time? All the varying reports of performance is making me nervous.

Mr Swine

Banned
Yes. You'll unlock it later. Obviously make sure your sewage doesn't flow into your water intake.

No. No way to modify terrain unless you use the map editor. But there are no options when you start a city to modify the terrain.

Not sure.

I'd imagine the only limit is your budget.

They get upgraded, but only by providing services around the area (parks, schools, police, etc.). The better the land value, the more people will want to live there and places will upgrade. Be mindful of low density and high density zoning.

Care to post a screenshot of your area with the electricity map overlay?

I'm not home right now so I hope I'll remember to do it tomorrow

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Raven77

So basically you have to terraform the land before starting to build the city? That sounds about right, I wouldn't expect to be able to do it after the city is started.

Psykoboy2

So basically you have to terraform the land before starting to build the city? That sounds about right, I wouldn't expect to be able to do it after the city is started.

Eh, sorta? Maps are pre-made. Or you can make your own. You actually have to go into the map editor to change the layout of the land. Then name that map and save it. Then chose to play on that map when you start your city.

You may not have been confused but I didn't think I explained it enough. And may not have even still.

Raven77

Eh, sorta? Maps are pre-made. Or you can make your own. You actually have to go into the map editor to change the layout of the land. Then name that map and save it. Then chose to play on that map when you start your city.

You may not have been confused but I didn't think I explained it enough. And may not have even still.

Haha, no thats fine, it makes sense to me. Seems odd that they just dont give you the editing option right before starting a city?

Haha, no thats fine, it makes sense to me. Seems odd that they just dont give you the editing option right before starting a city?

They sort of do, you just have to know which menu option to choose ;)

It's probably better this way, as most people would probably get overwhelmed by the map editor if they've never played the game before.

The Llama

Just to give my own impression of the difficulty, I actually don't think it's very hard at all. Its not easy, but after a few hours I only ran into 1 budget "crisis" and one power crisis. Maybe it's just because of all the years I spent playing SC4 though XD

OmegaDL50

Played the game for about two hours.

This game is amazing. I now am permanently putting Cities XL on the invisible list, so I don't ever install it again.

Cities: Skylines for life!

Klyka

Banned
So I played around with "budget" since no streamer ever did and BOY does it make a difference.

I can set down a fire station and have a few roads without coverage then up the budget to, say, 125% and suddenly have coverage on those roads + extra firetrucks.

OK, I've played a few hours, and here are my thoughts about the game.

The game does have a learning curve if you're used to the way SimCity does things - some things are quite...tighter than you'd expect.

The game seems to run pretty well on default high settings while on a single city tile (on a GTX 760M), but medium doesn't seem to produce a noticeable performance improvement...

Is it just me, or are the power plants really useless? They have really tiny capacities.

The road guides sure could use some improvement. I'd prefer guides that are visible at all times and relative to other roads. Being only able to see the road guides for the current drawn road is a bit annoying coming from SimCity 2013 - in fact, I've made a few mistakes that I normally wouldn't do in a SimCity game due to the lack of proper road guides or it being a grid itself. It would also be nice if the game allowed you to draw through roads and automatically creating a four-way intersection. Having to stop in the middle breaks my flow.

The garbage trucks have AWFUL coverage. Not being able to incinerate trash at the beginning hurts a lot. This really needs rebalancing and retuning in my opinion.

The music makes my head hurt, the ambient sounds are too loud, and there are a lot of small things that end up producing no sound where I expect it to. Makes the game feel really off during a long session.

The default buildings look kind of dull until I enforced a tropical colour correction scheme. To me, the visuals are too dang cold.

They really should make the ~ key pause the game.

I kept trying to scroll by right-clicking and dragging, and it doesn't do what it does in SimCity. Guess I'm too used to it, but edge-scrolling screams "inefficient".

The game could use a highlighter for building zoning while in a data view.

I guess I'll have to hop between SimCity and this game for quite a while, perhaps forever. If there are some things SimCity did right definitely, it's accessibility and the sound design. Hopefully patches will make the game more enjoyable.

Psykoboy2

So I played around with "budget" since no streamer ever did and BOY does it make a difference.

I can set down a fire station and have a few roads without coverage then up the budget to, say, 125% and suddenly have coverage on those roads + extra firetrucks.

I started messing with the budget last night. When you increase it for mass transit, it will add buses and stuff, but because it's needed, you actually make a shit ton of money on it. It's fantastic.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Doing really well, I have like 14k inhabitants now, but my city is ugly as fuck :lol. Was mainly a two hour test run to see how the game ran and coming to grips with the tools.

Next city, I'll create something.

And yeah messing with budgets and taxes is fun and sometimes it pays off to increase the efficiency of something rather than build a new building outright.

Edit: I don't know how big it is compared to those but as I understand the devs made it as big as possible without going crazy with the system requirements. There are mods that increase your area by a lot though.

dLMN8R

Can someone provide a clear graphic or numbers to compare the max city sizes between:

SimCity 4
SimCity 2013
Cities: Skylines?

I read the OP and see that there are unlockable tiles, but I can't visualize how big one tile is compared to SimCity 2013.

Also, I assume unlocking more tiles make those tile a part of the same city, rather than segmented like 2013 was, right?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The garbage trucks have AWFUL coverage. Not being able to incinerate trash at the beginning hurts a lot. This really needs rebalancing and retuning in my opinion.

I haven't looked into it yet, but can you increase the budget and increase coverage range for garbage like you can for other services (i.e. fire)?

As for scrolling, I'm used to using WASD in other strategy/sim games so I don't think I'll miss drag scrolling or use edge scrolling.

StayDead

The music makes my head hurt, the ambient sounds are too loud, and there are a lot of small things that end up producing no sound where I expect it to. Makes the game feel really off during a long session.

Did you go into the settings? :p

I messed up my first city, I built it starting at the entryway double road and now I can't build "big roads" anywhere. Woops!

Aerocrane

I've been playing the game for about an hour and it's made me realize how much I missed this genre. I played tons of SimCity 2000 and 3000 with a friend of mine many many years ago. It has been at least five years since I last played SimCity 4. Playing this game feels nostalgic in a way.

I haven't looked into it yet, but can you increase the budget and increase coverage range for garbage like you can for other services (i.e. fire)?

As for scrolling, I'm used to using WASD in other strategy/sim games so I don't think I'll miss drag scrolling.

Perhaps it'll help, but I still think the default coverage is in the "dreadful" territory.

Seeing as I spend a lot of time in SimCity and The Sims, I tend to find drag-scrolling a really nice shortcut to have, especially when you consider that with drag-scrolling, you only need to move the mouse. WASD tends to end up being ignored for these kinds of games for me.

Did you go into the settings? :p

I tried. Setting the ambient sounds to minimal made it sound even more eerie.

Music that tries to go into the background doesn't help, either. I sure could use something significantly more energetic.

And there are a lot of things that desperately need sound effects to be satisfying, too.

The sound design really needs work. Things are too darned quiet and boring.

Klyka

Banned
Best budget thing to do?

turn down water and electricity to 50% at the start and then move it up in increments as your city grows.
Then once you build new power plant/water pump, adjust again.

This allowed me to make more money with higher budget on other stuff than if I had my coal power plant create say, 56MW for a 10MW city.

fedexpeon

Banned
Someone needs to create a Drag-Move mod for map movement.
It is so hard to play when you have to scroll or use keys to move around a huge town.

Mayjaplaya

Neo Member
I tried. Setting the ambient sounds to minimal made it sound even more eerie.

Music that tries to go into the background doesn't help, either. I sure could use something significantly more energetic.

And there are a lot of things that desperately need sound effects to be satisfying, too.

The sound design really needs work. Things are too darned quiet and boring.

I was planning to just throw up the SC4 soundtrack if this game's soundtrack didn't immediately grab me. The nostalgia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom