• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
PsUxpyS.jpg
My humble beginnings. That overpass may seem out of place but it keeps the trucks coming into my industrial zone away from the other streets.

Lucifon

Kind of annoying that if you have dual monitors the cursor just goes off the side of the screen even when the game is on fullscreen mode :( Makes edge scrolling useless on one side.

Wait....how do your workers get to the factories?

Left street (of the two in the middle) is for traffic coming in, the street on the right can be taken by the workers to get to the factories (I'll still make another access, just not needed right now). The same road used to get off the city since traffic is low right now.

Kind of annoying that if you have dual monitors the cursor just goes off the side of the screen even when the game is on fullscreen mode :( Makes edge scrolling useless on one side.

The game doesn't have a real exclusive fullscreen mode under normal circumstances, so it tends to do that. I think.

DEO3

Ok, my first attempt bombed. I just took too long to build as I was looking around and reading everything. Ended up with negative income pretty quickly and no real way of recovering. Shouldn't be too difficult to avoid that next time by building a bit more.

Runs beautifully so far. I think it looks quite nice. I love all the road options and different methods of zoning. I started out doing it the old SimCity way by dragging blocks, but found the painting tool works a lot better for the most part. Especially with the curved roads.

Loving it. :)

Same thing here.

I probably spent more than 20 hours watching streams of the game last week, couldn't believe how bad people were at playing the game.

My first city?

Spent so much time perfecting my roads with the game unpaused that I ran out of money before I could build any basic services. Couldn't afford the power lines to reach my industrial sector. Couldn't take out a loan - guess that's something you unlock? Had a couple people move in then promptly tell me to fuck off. Even Chirpy got in on the action, and I quote, "Worst. City. Ever."

Second attempt is going much better, but it's still pretty tight in the beginning.

Yeah, this is the first time I've done any PC gaming with a dual monitor setup. I need an easy way to turn off the second monitor when a game launches.

For anyone using a multi-monitor setup, and can't keep the mouse on one screen when trying to use the edges to move the camera, here's a nifty little lightweight program I
used to fix it.

SwapScreen

Saw this posted earlier, I'll be trying this when I'm home since I have a dual monitor setup as well.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Thinking about it, I must say this game makes a very good case for using Unity.
And I get the audio crackle sometimes too, only one sound effect at a time and usually accompanied by a brief stutter, it doesn't happen very often though.

Okay, I'm gonna risk it and buy the game and try to attempt to download it on my school's computer for now. That one has a intel e5-2630 which has 6 cores which should easily handle this game. If I can't get it to download, I hope it'll run okay on my computer at home but I can't seem to find anyone with an i3 dual core processor for reports on performance.

McBryBry

I think I want to watch someone play this before I make a decision. I noticed some comments about some YouTubers not knowing what they're doing. So, what channel has a good playthrough of this?

Megasoum

Banned

Normally I would agree with you but now that we finally get a game that lets us use the WASD keys to pan the camera around, I will never edge scroll.

Normally I would agree with you but now that we finally get a game that lets us use the WASD keys to pan the camera around, I will never edge scroll.

If only I could drag-scroll. That is the best thing out of the Sim series.

Wouldn't it be nice if the game had a "casual" mode where a bunch of necessities are down-played or made optional?

Won

Oh my, where did my evening go? Game is fun so far. Got to 8000 pop on my first city so far. Didn't realize how much space you can get (lol SimCity), so I will probably start over and not cram everything into a corner.

If only I could drag-scroll. That is the best thing out of the Sim series.

Wouldn't it be nice if the game had a "casual" mode where a bunch of necessities are down-played or made optional?

There's an infinite money mod if you're just looking to design a pretty city. You still have no manage services and happiness, but wouldn't have to fiddle with the economy part of the simulation.

scurker

Played for about an hour during lunch, and didn't want to put it down. Felt good to finally get my hands on it!

My biggest complaint so far is the visibility of one way roads. They're nearly invisible compared to multi-directional roads unless you zoom in real close to find the lane markers.

SimCity 4 had a clear visual distinction between two way and one way streets.

thumb-d8838808a19e02f7b13f9eda12170f03-electronic%20owr%20and%20street%20toll%20booths.JPG

Even if directional arrows were only visible during road placements, it would be super helpful. Maybe someone can mod that in...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This game needs sports stadiums.
One thing I liked about SimCity was that you could build an all-purpose auditorium and schedule events to take place at certain times to attract tourists. That and modular buildings. But if SC had at least that first one it'd be neat.

Well I have to go to work now. I just played a bit and got up to a 2,600 city in my first shitty attempt. When I get home I am starting fresh and playing the heck out of this all night.

Played for about an hour during lunch, and didn't want to put it down. Felt good to finally get my hands on it!

My biggest complaint so far is the visibility of one way roads. They're nearly invisible compared to multi-directional roads unless you zoom in real close to find the lane markers.

thumb-d8838808a19e02f7b13f9eda12170f03-electronic%20owr%20and%20street%20toll%20booths.JPG

Even if directional arrows were only visible during road placements, it would be super helpful. Maybe someone can mod that in...

Yeah, that is a very nice thing to have. All the roads look the same in CSL. Bad. (Even SimCity 2013 had at least some visible distinction between road types.)

There's an infinite money mod if you're just looking to design a pretty city. You still have no manage services and happiness, but wouldn't have to fiddle with the economy part of the simulation.

Infinite money feels like a complete cheat. I'd rather have a working economy, but the game still needs tuning with regard to being more accessible.

RoyalFool

Banned
Haha I'm an idiot.

I was running two separate pipeworks for sewage and water the entire game, then towards the end I accidentally connected them together - "On noes shit in the water pipes!!" I thought, but it turns out it just becomes a funky duel pipe thing so I didn't need to lay both after all.

How can I make the garbage system completely automated? it looks like I have to have 2 and when one fills up manually tell it to empty it out into the incinerator, was hoping I could just build a load of incinerator and no actual landfills but that doesn't appear to work - kind of annoying having to faff with toggling them every now and again.

Game feels too easy, on my first game with some sloppy planning and racking in the $$$

My city is evolving nicely. Now I seriously need to sleep. Nite!

I just realized...

The game really needs an option not to blend in the environment with fog at high zoom distances.

Haha I'm an idiot.

I was running two separate pipeworks for sewage and water the entire game, then towards the end I accidentally connected them together - "On noes shit in the water pipes!!" I thought, but it turns out it just becomes a funky duel pipe thing so I didn't need to lay both after all.

How can I make the garbage system completely automated? it looks like I have to have 2 and when on fills up manually tell it to empty it out into the incinerator, was hoping I could just build a load of incinerator and no actual landfills but that doesn't appear to work.

Game feels too easy, on my first game with some sloppy planning and racking in the $$$

The really nice thing about dumps in SimCity games is that everything is mostly taken care for you.

The game felt like a bit of a chore to me.

It probably won't take long for someone to introduce a road retexture if there is a large demand for it.

Grief.exe

I'm seriously struggling to get my amenities running, how do the powerlines work?

New buildings create a blue area of influence around them. You connect your power generation to this area via power lines.

Where you likely run into trouble is when you are zoning new areas. The best advice is to zone a small area to start, then expand your zoning out from there. That way, your power will carry forward as new buildings pop up.

Isomac

My first city. I just randomly placed buildings around to get the feel of the game. I polluted that whole water in the left. It started to flow slowly to that river which had water pumps heh.

Mayjaplaya

Neo Member
How do I get this to download on my PC from the Steam app away from home. I'm having no luck with this app right now
I don't know, but I got the game to start downloading to my desktop from my phone through TeamViewer. I've found Remote Desktop to be more useful than wrangling with mobile apps quite often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom