• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

My first city. I just randomly placed buildings around to get the feel of the game. I polluted that whole water in the left. It started to flow slowly to that river which had water pumps heh.

338BA44760CC9CDD49F14EED463F26468A5920A7

I bet that initial intersection between the suburbs and your two factory areas is extremely congested.

elelunicy

So I downloaded someone's 70k population save and the game runs as well as my 6k town. The CPU usage jumped from 20% to 50% though. Guess running a town with 1 million population is out of the question.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So I downloaded someone's 70k population save and the game runs as well as my 6k town. The CPU usage jumped from 20% to 50% though. Guess running a town with 1 million population is out of the question.
Do you have a link? I'd love to test it myself out of curiosity. I'd hate to be doing so well then suddenly one day I can't play anymore because I got too big.

Hmm...

I can't exactly pinpoint what that noise exactly is, but I guess that speaks more about the poor sound design of the game. (Still, it probably indicates something's happened, at least.)

Yea, somethings happening, be it an upgrade or a notifcation but I cant figure out what.

How do I specialize a district for industry? I unlocked Farmland a while ago, and my industry buildings are on fertile land..... I select the district and it says "no specialization", but not sure where to change that. Unless I'm missing some other prerequisite....

Isomac

I bet that initial intersection between the suburbs and your two factory areas is extremely congested.

Yeah it is. The whole city is a mess! I can't wait to start over. Although I could probably just buy new area and start the city there too. This old one still generates money and I have access to more buildings.

This may sound weird, but does this game require administrative rights to run? On the computer labs in my school can download steam, and any game, but when it comes to actually running them and the first time setup stuff, some games work and others don't. For example Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed worked but Metro 2033 did not. Anyone know the chances that I can successfully run Cities: Skylines? Id imagine there's probably a lot of technical information y'all'd need to know about the firewall or whatever that i dont have, though. Ugh maybe I shouldn't try this.

slash3584

I think I found a bug or unknowingly activated Disco Party Mode.

I minimized the game window and when I returned there were flickering lights everywhere lol.

Tried saving and loading back but the problem persists.

Hmm...

I can't exactly pinpoint what that noise exactly is, but I guess that speaks more about the poor sound design of the game. (Still, it probably indicates something's happened, at least.)

It's when a building gets upgraded.
When you see a green arrow, you hear that noise. :)

Savitar

First created a place called Utopia knowing it would be anything but.

I just didn't expect to lose all my cash so fast.

But hey I didn't screw up the water thing.....mostly.

bjaelke

Tried to create a closed city only connected to the the outside line via a(n oversized) parking lot and a couple of pedestrian paths. Failed miserably. Apparently my 2k+ citizens weren't prepared to live in isolation. I even offered free parking just to alleviate some of the traffic problems caused by poor planning.

On a completely unrelated note, have anyone found the shortcut(s) for changing the road tool (curved, straight, free) without having to click on the icons each?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I think I found a bug or unknowingly activated Disco Party Mode.

I minimized the game window and when I returned there were flickering lights everywhere lol.

Tried saving and loading back but the problem persists.

If save/load didn't work, restart the game completely?

Effect

The GMG codes will unlocked on a US steam account right? Just want to make sure.

Edit: I ask because the last game I got from there was an Origin game. Bought it though so hoping it works out okay tonight. $22 is to good to pass up.

depths20XX

This may sound weird, but does this game require administrative rights to run? On the computer labs in my school can download steam, and any game, but when it comes to actually running them and the first time setup stuff, some games work and others don't. For example Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed worked but Metro 2033 did not. Anyone know the chances that I can successfully run Cities: Skylines? Id imagine there's probably a lot of technical information y'all'd need to know about the firewall or whatever that i dont have, though. Ugh maybe I shouldn't try this.

Uh, yeah why don't you just wait? Not really sure why you're trying to install it in your schools' computer lab...

So I saw a skye video where he shows the terrain editor and he uses the water spawners (the tube thingy) to create masses of water like lakes, but Im in the terrain editor right now and I cant get it to work properly like skye does in his video.
Instead of doing small increments to the water tubes my goes from 0 water to top water, and cant adjust anything in the middle, that is what I need.

It doesnt help that now I cant find the video where he showed that.

Can someone help me? Im pretty sure Im doing something wrong.

EDIT: Talking about this:

I've spent the last three hours failing miserably to create the map I want. The height map didn't work and going at it on my own I forgot that it probably would've been a good idea to raise the terrain for what I wanted since the default level is too low. >_<

Is there an option in the map editor to raise the whole thing at once?

How's the learning curve on this game? This is coming from someone who hasn't played sim city since they were a little kid who had no idea what the fuck they were doing then haha. I want to get into this

Jisgsaw

Well, my first city was a nice failure.
The traffic is really hard to manage, especially with the very few starting options for roads.

Is there a way to avoid people parking on the two way roads? They always block the traffic in residential area.

So I saw a skye video where he shows the terrain editor and he uses the water spawners (the tube thingy) to create masses of water like lakes, but Im in the terrain editor right now and I cant get it to work properly like skye does in his video.
Instead of doing small increments to the water tubes my goes from 0 water to top water, and cant adjust anything in the middle, that is what I need.

You have to left click and hold on the tube, and then adjust the water level by moving your mouse.

dakun

ok granted i'm no expert in City building games but i can't figure out the water system

Basically what i have done 30 minutes in is run pipes for clean water through a whole section of my city (usually under the roads) but that leaves little to no room to run pipes under the city for the waste water.. Basically what happens is that because one pipe can't cross another (which makes no sense to me) i have to go all the way around the city to get access to certain parts of the city, which in turn costs alot of money i don't have in the beginning.

Can anyone share an example of a pipe system that is not as complicated as what i managed to do so far?

EDIT: OH SHIT.. i should've just read the last page.. apparently you can just combine the pipes

I'm enjoying this. My little town of Nubville seems to going in the right direction at a slow, calm pace. There was a small incident when I forgot to hook up my sewage drain pipe to the electrical grid but it's all good now.

What I usually do in a game like this is keep starting over, trying to make the "perfect" map... but this time I'm just going to play this save and see where it takes me.

XiaNaphryz

I've spent the last three hours failing miserably to create the map I want. The height map didn't work and going at it on my own I forgot that it probably would've been a good idea to raise the terrain for what I wanted since the default level is too low. >_<

Is there an option in the map editor to raise the whole thing at once?

Is your heightmap a PNG? Durante tried using a JPG earlier and it didn't work.

Jisgsaw

ok granted i'm no expert in City building games but i can't figure out the water system

Basically what i have done 30 minutes in is run pipes for clean water through a whole section of my city (usually under the roads) but that leaves little to no room to run pipes under the city for the waste water.. Basically what happens is that because one pipe can't cross another (which makes no sense to me) i have to go all the way around the city to get access to certain parts of the city, which in turn costs alot of money i don't have in the beginning.

Can anyone share an example of a pipe system that is not as complicated as what i managed to do so far?

I was a bit trouble with that too at first, as everyone got sick and thought I was doing something wrong, but the sewer and water pipes are shared.
Just be sure not to put a water tank on poluted ground...

RS4-

EDIT: Talking about this:

I think you let the water fill up, then right click to remove the source? I tried recreating Toronto with terrain party, but the water tool is finicky. So I could be wrong on how it works.

I wish there was an undo button and stuff. And a brush tool for water.

Durante

Holy crap addiction alert. I have to actively stop myself from playing more.

The current state of my city with roughly 10000 inhabitants:
255710_2015-03-10_000mla2b.jpg

XiaNaphryz

Does this support Clouds saves?

Yes.

Holy crap addiction alert. I have to actively stop myself from playing more.

Have you dived into the API yet? ;)

http://www.skylineswiki.com/Modding_API

Overview

The Modding API is an interface for programmers to override and extend game features. It is presently minimalistic and aims to be so. The available features will evolve alongside user wishes in the future.

The game ships with a C# compiler which allows for automatic script compiling at game start.

The mod user folder is located at:

* On Windows C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Colossal Order\Cities_Skylines\Addons\Mods
* On Mac /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Colossal Order/Cities_Skylines/Addons/Mods
* On Linux /home/<username>/.local/share/Colossal Order/Cities_Skylines/Addons/Mods/

Each mod is implemented in a sub-folder of the name of the mod. The sub-folder contains a Source folder where the C# script is situated. When the game starts, it will compile all the files within the Source folder and create a .dll file at the root of the Mod folder. That dll in turn is loaded at runtime and implements the custom behaviors.

The mod implements a set of interfaces defined in the ICities assembly. It is possible to use Microsoft Visual Studio or another programming IDE to compile a dll and bypass the automatic compilation the game provides.

The full set of the C# 2.5 language is available, as well as all the functionalities provided by the UnityEngine assembly.

Mod can be shared through the Content Manager just like other assets. A check box allows the source code to be embedded in the Workshop item if desired.

You have to left click and hold on the tube, and then adjust the water level by moving your mouse.

Thats what I was trying, but it just puts the max water inside the tube.

I think you let the water fill up, then right click to remove the source? I tried recreating Toronto with terrain party, but the water tool is finicky. So I could be wrong on how it works.

I wish there was an undo button and stuff. And a brush tool for water.

Theres an undo button.

Jisgsaw

Dam the game could use a change road direction tool, or did i miss the tool?

That it does. But doesn't exist afaik.

Does this support Clouds saves? May have to get it for something to play while at work!

You could just upload your save in Steam Workshop and download it on another PC I guess?

Thats what I was trying, but it just puts the max water inside the tube.

Stange, worked fine for me.

Durante

Offshore wind turbines almost feel like a cheat. 20 MW, no pollution, no useful space taken up, noise pollution not an issue. Sure, they're somewhat expensive, but still easily worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom