• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mik2121

Sorry for the imgur but:

qTBDvcJ.jpg

eBfSxWZ.jpg

Second attempt (quit the first after 15 minutes because I used it only to learn how to draw the curved roads and all that stuff). Got some main area going on now that I wonder if I'll be able to improve later on.

I think I will use this city to learn the game and then will actually import some heightmap of a nice area with lots of rivers and whatnot and try to do something there. Cities in the middle of rivers are always great!

Crispy75

Anyone looking for some nice terrain from that real-world heightmap tool should go and check out Stockholm. Islands and cliffs and little channels. Very nice :)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Humble beginnings:

I so dont care about productivity atm, just cruising along, making some nice streets and watch citizens go their ways.

Laptop users with any form of hybrid graphics might want to go to their GPU's control panel and set Cities: Skylines to make use of the dedicated GPU.

The game is too new to be in any profiles, so it's likely it's running on integrated graphics. Not good.

Lunar15

This smells like a hit. Really appeals to streamers and younger generations that love minecraft and that kind of stuff, but also people who just want a good fucking city builder.

Armaros

Don't have a screenie but atm 42k people are playing the game atm. (Phone)

Above skyrim and civ 5.

Only below football manager and the big Valve 3.

Birathen

EVERYTHING LOOKED SO MUCH EASIER WHEN I WAS WATCHING COMPETENT STREAMERS! /o

I have only tried it for a lik while befor the kids got home. Gonne get so lost in this..

MouldyK

Heightmaps from Terrain.Party are never good for me weirdly. Before I could get London well, but today, all it generates is nothing. :/

Decided to just mess around with some of the stuff, and seeing what weird things I can do with roads and such.

As someone who just stuck with SC4 for so long and skipped Simcity 2013, holy crap this is great. Probably gonna keep experimenting with a sandbox city, then I'll move on and actually make a city

BlackJace

Anyone know why steam automatically schedules my downloads even though i tell it not to? This game should've been done ten minutes ago...

Grief.exe

I'm having the opposite here.

I'm on an i5-3210M, Radeon 7670m and 8 GB of ram. It ran Simcity 2013 extremely well, but an empty scene with absolutely nothing built is giving me around 10fps here on lowest settings. Only dropping the resolution below 640x480 helps to increase the framerate. I have a feeling something is seriously wrong and I should be getting better performance.

I guarantee that Intel HD isn't forcing your GPU to kick over. Cmon issue with laptops.

jtb

Banned
Alright, just saw the reviews and this game looks legit.

Just bought the game for $22 from http://www.greenmangaming.com/vip

I can confirm that buying it from there today, even though the game is now out, still comes with the Preorder Pack.

I was considering the Deluxe Edition but the monuments didn't really hold appeal for me.

EDIT: Oh, apparently the game is Mac compatible? That's wonderful. I was just using my Air to buy it while being lazy in bed, but now it'll be a nice game to have on this system as well. I will tell you guys how it plays on a MacBook Air 2013 a bit later.

EDIT 2: It defaults to the max settings on my MacBook Air. My poor fans!

so... it runs?

I think it'd be wise for me to go get some dinner now, otherwise it'll be getting cooked at 2am.

Edit: 45,837 people playing right now!

ksimm

Works on Surface Pro 3 i5, though you have to drop all settings to low and reduce the resolution. Super fast on my desktop PC though.

I guarantee that Intel HD isn't forcing your GPU to kick over. Cmon issue with laptops.

That was the first thing I thought of. I tried forcing it through Catalyst Control Center but it was already set to High Performance. My performance got a lot better when I forced the game to use DirectX 9 instead of DirectX 11 by adding -force-d3d9 to the launch options in steam. Time to dig into this beautiful game.

That's a nice 4 stack interchange, with one level underground. I wonder when it will be possible to build something like this in Cities:Skyline.
So far so good. People are hungry for some good city building. I think Paradox has a hit on their hands :)

yb4DRsV.png
Sales are typically somewhat below 10x the peak concurrent rate, but maybe this game has more hyped buyers and more early players.

I was watching some gameplay of this on YT yesterday. Though the dude I was watching was crap at city planning and development, the game somehow still managed to look fun and captivating. Jeeze, I'm kind of glad I don't own a PC right now or else I'd probably be taking days off from work to play this. But at the same time... I really want to play it. Argh.

red731

I've finaly got my "village" to run because I've overspend a shitton.
Tens of hours watching streams and it is like I've watched no tips at all.

Need to create more pylons now. I mean elementary schools.

First city, pretty terrible, time to start over. I built the sewage and water pumps on the wrong sides. lol

Holy shit. Your education levels must be off the charts watching robbers everywhere
KuGsj.gif

I'm having the opposite here.

I'm on an i5-3210M, Radeon 7670m and 8 GB of ram. It ran Simcity 2013 extremely well, but an empty scene with absolutely nothing built is giving me around 10fps here on lowest settings. Only dropping the resolution below 640x480 helps to increase the framerate. I have a feeling something is seriously wrong and I should be getting better performance.

Ya mine defaulted to integrated graphics. Had to do a manual force to use Nvidia card. You should be able to do something similar in windows graphic controls or AMD control panel

jacobs34

Just downloaded the game and messed around with a couple of city building ideas, I can already see myself sinking hundreds of hours into this. Good thing I just bought some new headphones.

Mayjaplaya

Neo Member
I saw some good reviews of this while casually dropping by GameRankings today and became interested. I'm part of the crowd that played the shit out of older SimCity games (mine was 4) but was crushed by the disappointment that was SC2013. This looks like the proper SimCity 5 I've always wanted and I'll be deal-hunting today!

Need to create more pylons now.

What a coincidence: after SimCity 4 my strategy game of choice was StarCraft! And I play Protoss no less.

wit3tyg3r

Only 3 hours until I get off work! Screw eating dinner tonight. I'm making the most of every minute I have until I have to go to bed. Or I can just skip sleep completely....

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Damn these people are seriousl power hungry devils. I need to constantly keep up with demands or everything fucks up. Also... I think I am almost broke :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom