• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
game looks damn ugly wth :(

is there any hidden setting that i'm missing? the aa is pretty much absent

There IS an AA option in the game settings, but whatever it is using doesn't seem to be too effective.

(Things were like buttery smooth when it came to edges in the 2013 SimCity, too. Medium lighting or higher and additional AA = smoothness heaven.)

(The game also really doesn't have a visual charm that SimCity does have.)

I think everyone should take a look at this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkyli...ow_to_avoid_some_of_the_most_common_mistakes/

Especially this part

1. Road system
It's important that you design your road system correctly from the start, otherwise you'll have terrible traffic problems once your city grows bigger. You should always use fractal road design. This means that small roads lead to medium ones, medium ones lead to large ones, and large ones lead to highways. Also, the larger the road the less intersections it should have. What you'll end up with is a branched up system that looks a bit like a tree. Place your residential zones along smaller roads, while commercial and industrial should be near larger roads.
Here's a good example of an American suburb: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/37/Suburbia_by_David_Shankbone.jpg
More about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hierarchy_of_roads

Klyka

Banned
Any pictures of them in action?

Picture is about 2 hours old I got a lot more going on now

OV90oe8.jpg

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm trying to get the courthouse unlock, but for the life of my, I can't get my crime rate higher than 24%. I have zero police, and my citizens have no schooling and are dumb as bricks. What else can I do? lol...

The 50% unemployment unlock was pretty easy though, I just dezoned all my industry for 5 minutes lol.

tci

Still early on, but I really like the game so far. Only got little over 1 hour into it so far. Hopefully I get some more time tomorrow.

It takes a while to get used to the build system after being used to SC after all these years. But it feels really natural.

This will get some millage from me.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
There IS an AA option in the game settings, but whatever it is using doesn't seem to be too effective.

(Things were like buttery smooth when it came to edges in the 2013 SimCity, too. Medium lighting or higher and additional AA = smoothness heaven.)

(The game also really doesn't have a visual charm that SimCity does have.)

The aesthetic/charm thing has been mentioned before in previews and streams. Skylines has always seemed better than the XL games but more clinical than the SC ones.

Also, you may not have intended it but most of your recent posts make it sound like you'd rather play SC2013 given how much you refer to how much better it is while not saying as much positive stuff about Skylines. Maybe the game's just not for you.

Ainsz

Great game, finally I can lay SC 4 to rest, love how you can take it slowly for you city to grow. SC 4 was quite aggressive at making you expand quickly. Traffic system is superb, I can just sit and follow commuters sometimes. If anyone can help, how do you change the colour of the bus routes?

can someone please say something to convince me to buy this game? Like I knew nothing about it prior to watching it on stream earlier today and I am very interested. Is there a demo that I can try the game out somewhere?

Also I may be sacrificing my bloodborne money but that is to be determined.

You can poison your citizens with their own sewage.

manfestival

can someone please say something to convince me to buy this game? Like I knew nothing about it prior to watching it on stream earlier today and I am very interested. Is there a demo that I can try the game out somewhere?

Have you ever played a city sim before?

Sober

Hmm, whats that pinging noise every so often that sounds like an upgrade of some sorts?
Each zone has a set of upgrades, I think they increase whatever they do to be better, as long as you can increase the land value around them. The sound is a little unnecessary as you can always query but you'll miss it otherwise.

I'm trying to get the courthouse unlock, but for the life of my, I can't get my crime rate higher than 24%. I have zero police, and my citizens have no schooling and are dumb as bricks. What else can I do? lol...

The 50% unemployment unlock was pretty easy though, I just dezoned all my industry for 5 minutes lol.

Supposedly abandoned buildings lead to more crime. I have seen in other streams that crime modeling might need a bit of tweaking.

I wish there was some way to just try the game to see how well it preforms on your machine. 'Recommended' doesn't really mean much, I've played games with my computer being well under the recommended specs but I could still run them at ~30 fps on medium/high settings with some strategic tweaking.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I think everyone should take a look at this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkyli...ow_to_avoid_some_of_the_most_common_mistakes/

Especially this part

Thanks for the link. This caught my eye:

Garbage - People tend to treat garbage the same way as they did in SimCity 4 - build a long road leading as far away from the city as possible and build a dump. However, this isn't SimCity 4, garbage truck aren't just visual, they're real, and they need to be able to easily collect garbage. Preferably place them on the main arteries going through your industrial areas and spread them out so that they can serve different parts of your city.

I think a lot of people are going to have to unlearn older Simcity habits.

In the terrain editor, is there a way to regreen sand zones?

I dont seem to find the button that does it, but if it doesnt exist it would be a pity becuase the game automatically truns everything to sand when is beneath surface, so if you want to elvate it it seems it doesnt revert back to green. I know theres a button to paint sand zones though.

EDIT
Ok it regreen automatically. I would have prefered that you could control it though.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Before going out I made sure to build a University :p! 13K citizens, onwards to developing other areas. Amazing game.

MouldyK

Wow, I just found out that you don't need to have a highway in your starting zone (like Sim City 2013 did). Pretty neat since I forgot to put one down in my map.

Dunno how lorries will get in/out though...

I wish there was some way to just try the game to see how well it preforms on your machine. 'Recommended' doesn't really mean much, I've played games with my computer being well under the recommended specs but I could still run them at ~30 fps on medium/high settings with some strategic tweaking.

Sorry Chezzyman, you're probably going to just have to wait a bit longer for someone else with similar specs to take the plunge and let you know how it runs. Reports seem to indicate that it's pretty optimized, but still taxes low end machines (especially ones with integrated graphics).

It'd be cool if there were a demo, but with such a small team, they're probably all focusing on after-release support and future patches/DLC.

Cse

Banned
Hopefully someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong. Early on in all of my games thus far, all of my citizens become sick - as in, more than 50% of the population needs healthcare, and it happens very rapidly.

57Q806Z.png

The industry zones are far away and are not even visibly near the residential areas. Additionally, the pollution maps shows zero pollution in the area. Not quite sure what the problem is...

Mii

Banned
There isn't.

I really wish there was a game that got the best parts of this game and the 2013 SimCity. As much as I want to love CSL right now, I can't. It feels incomplete.

So did SimCity 4 originally. Give the mods time.

At least this game allows for extensive modding.

Hopefully someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong. Early on in all of my games thus far, all of my citizens become sick - as in, more than 50% of the population needs healthcare, and it happens very rapidly.

57Q806Z.png

The industry zones are far away and are not even visibly near the residential areas. Additionally, the pollution maps shows zero pollution in the area. Not quite sure what the problem is...

Make sure your water pumps are not in an area that has pollution in it. People get sick if you make them drink polluted water.

Nokterian

57Q806Z.png

Keep your new population close together for the clinic also polluted water needs to stream away from the fresh water pumping in if you have put the shit pump first then the fresh pump second that is wrong you know there dying by my guess.

Savitar

Your not dumping your sewage into the water that people get to drink from are you?

Because that seems to be an issue many make.

Mad1723

Alright, I suck at this game, but I love it! It has a lot of depth and it is very fun to see your every action have a reaction :D

I'm at my 5-6th city, I keep failing in many spectacular ways. Learning curve I guess :D

Cse

Banned
Your not dumping your sewage into the water that people get to drink from are you?

Because that seems to be an issue many make.

I'm just using a water tower for my water thus far, haven't had the need for anything more than that yet.

trinest

Try restarting your tablet first.

If that fails, verify the game cache.

Yeah no luck, also tried removing the DLC and other random things like that.

Basically it crashes when loading a map, but I noticed if I had it in Window mode it gets to the end then just sits there instead of completely crashing.

Might not also help I'm using Windows 10. But yeah. Has anyone with a Surface Pro 2 got it working?

Finally got it to play nice with my system and where has my night gone? I'm terrible at laying out a town/city apparently. I mean so far so good, no major hiccups, traffic was ok until I put a bus shelter in now there are buses everywhere. But yeah no major traffic or health problems, but I can't seem to build areas well with room for expansion. I'll need to start thinking more before laying down roads.

Pandemic

Guys. Guys. I can not overstate how important the placement of pedestrian walkways in clever and proper ways is.
You will help your traffic SO MUCH and people can get everywhere much easier.

It's insane actually.

I didn't think pedestrians impacted on traffic? Looking at the streams, I thought cars drive through pedestrians at crossings?

Unless you mean with footpaths, people will choose to walk to work rather than drive?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The Statue of Shopping says my city money needs to be -1 for it to unlock? Am I reading that right? I have to be -1 credit in debt?

Why does the ground go pink/light purple around industrial areas? It looks slightly odd.

It's a visualization of ground pollution. It was supposedly changed to grey in the latest patch, but maybe changed back to purple at the last minute? Or maybe we don't have the latest patch?

RP912

Banned
Smh I'm sucking hard at this game. Everytime I try to make progress, more crap happens. I keep playing the game like Simcity but I see thats not going to be the case. Also, I'm trying to get used to the pipes/electrical lines which was a pain in the ass in Simcity 4.

Other than that...10/10...will suffer more...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom