• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://i.imgur.com/Vpu1HFZ.jpg

I'm kind of proud of my city. Traffic in city center is an absolute nightmare, but it seems to work relatively well. No major issues. Well, there was a scare with dead bodies piling up everywhere but I solved it by literally building 4 more cemeteries. I think I'll start expanding east and west, near highway exits there so that traffic will hopefully ease a bit on city center.

After you hit 5k population or so, traffic starts to become a problem. And traffic will increasingly become a problem the bigger your city grows, unless you plan your traffic very, very well. Traffic control seems to be the key to this game. It will be the root of your issues. Before building the dam (which you see in upper left corner), I was heavily reliant on coal and oil plants. This meant that a nasty traffic jam almost killed my city, when my power production dropped like a rock when all trucks were stuck in traffic. I have 500+ people using bus traffic every week, and another 500+ or so using metro. It still didn't help my city center issues by much.

Fun game, so addicting. I think I'll be playing this for a while.

BashNasty

Anyone know how to get V-sync working on this? There doesn't seem to be an option in the graphics menu, and forcing it through the Nvidia control panel didn't work. The game looks nasty without it, so I really gotta get that figured out.

Okay, I got literally every game in my steam library to work at my schools computer lab which easily handles the requirements and I remembered that I have a steam gift card from my brother for Christmas so I'm gonna go ahead and get it. I think the problems I was having with the other computer was just some weird fluke. (I live on campus so its not really a hassle to go to the computer lab, just a 10 minute walk from my dorm)

kabel

Anyone know how to get V-sync working on this? There doesn't seem to be an option in the graphics menu, and forcing it through the Nvidia control panel didn't work. The game looks nasty without it, so I really gotta get that figured out.

I forced it on my AMD card. Works perfect!

The flickering was so bad...

Lucifon

What exactly are 'city services' that buildings complain about not having?

Also can you expand the area around your city zone to make things even bigger? (I'm nowhere near yet, just wondered)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
lol, cheesing the negative unique building rewards is so lame.

Qo8MIfVl.jpgl

Moltenix

I've been spending a lot of time messing around with different highway configs. For a highway crossing another highway, i'm planning on doing a complete stack interchange.

But, what's the most efficient interchange configuration for a non-highway crossing a highway? Where i'm from, our real highways almost exclusively use the Parclo A4 configuration. It creates two traffic light intersections on the smaller road but for all movements, you don't need to turn left across oncoming traffic.

I tried doing one in the asset creator but the game allows a left turn at the on-ramp for the smaller road when you're technically only supposed to use the loop ramp to turn left onto the highway. Anyone have any ideas or should I just stick with doing diamond interchanges?

200px-Parclo_A4.svg.png

Seanspeed

Banned
What exactly are 'city services' that buildings complain about not having?

Also can you expand the area around your city zone to make things even bigger? (I'm nowhere near yet, just wondered)
You'll need trash pickup, health services, fire coverage, police coverage, schools, etc etc.

I thought I could get away without fire coverage for a while(tight on money) as I saw a house burn down and figured, "Eh, that's not so bad." But then my elementary school caught fire. That was........quite tragic. lol

And yes, you'll be able to expand your city up to 9 squares.

Lucifon

For industry and commercial? Probably things like hospitals, fire stations, police stations, public transport and extra freight connections (rail, sea).

You'll need trash pickup, health services, fire coverage, police coverage, schools, etc etc.

I thought I could get away without fire coverage for a while(tight on money) as I saw a house burn down and figured, "Eh, that's not so bad." But then my elementary school caught fire. That was........quite tragic. lol

And yes, you'll be able to expand your city up to 9 squares.

Right okay, thanks guys! This game is great. Goddamn, 9 squares is going to be huge...

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm trying to get the courthouse unlock, but for the life of my, I can't get my crime rate higher than 24%. I have zero police, and my citizens have no schooling and are dumb as bricks. What else can I do? lol...

The 50% unemployment unlock was pretty easy though, I just dezoned all my industry for 5 minutes lol.

Supposedly abandoned buildings lead to more crime. I have seen in other streams that crime modeling might need a bit of tweaking.

I got 1000 abandoned buildings to unlock the observatory, but my crime rate still hovers at 21%, even with no police and no education.

I don't get it.

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
Man, need to get some sleep before work now. This game is seriously addictive as hell....in a very good way. 5 hours felt like 30 minutes.

My city's shaping up and I think I've understood all of the basics. I'll be spending hundreds of hours in this game for sure..especially considering how massive I'm expecting the modding community to be.

Buy it if you haven't already!

I neglected to build a police station with my influx of cash upon leveling up and now my entire city is being burglarized. :'(

I'm going to get the Court House without trying.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Smh I'm sucking hard at this game. Everytime I try to make progress, more crap happens. I keep playing the game like Simcity but I see thats not going to be the case. Also, I'm trying to get used to the pipes/electrical lines which was a pain in the ass in Simcity 4.

Other than that...10/10...will suffer more...
Actually they're easier to use and more flexible than the Sim games.

Pinktaco

Played a couple of hours. Went by in seconds! Anyway so far I haven't had troubles. Population on 5-6000 and 300k in the bank. Quite happy inhabitants so that's nice. Trying to get my industry in a higher level although the first Lvl 3 commercials should be popping any minute now.

Is it actually possible to align all 3 needs (RCI) so you don't have a need for any? I Ive come to find out that by needing more workers my industry will constantly need to be rebuild, which is annoying so I'm switching over to needing more work. Dunno if that'll upset my people lol.

I've also started to recycle and free busses for everyone haha. Didn't take much of a hit in the money sack. I have, however, absolutely no idea if my busses are efficient. They cover my city with multiple routes, but other than that I'm not sure.

I got 1000 abandoned buildings to unlock the observatory, but my crime rate still hovers at 21%, even with no police and no education.

I don't get it.

Maybe it's a bug then? No idea, it just leads me to believe they need to work on the crime numbers a bit more. I know quill18 had almost no crime in one of his prerelease mega cities despite having no police, just a lot of highly educated citizens.

How's your unemployment?

Vyer

Had to go away from the PC for a bit and forgot to pause, come back and most of my industrial is abandoned. Not sure why. Lol

Can someone explain how the districts work exactly?

T.O.P

Banned
My first town i made a mess with the sewage, second one pretty much evacuated after a garbade emergency and the third one burned down

Jesus christ i'm bad at this lol

Any good totorials to watch out for?

Jisgsaw

Right okay, thanks guys! This game is great. Goddamn, 9 squares is going to be huge...

You can also go up to 25 tiles through mods.

My city is slowly growing, but now that I have unlocked the bigger roads, I can't upgrade my current roads because I have special buildings (police, school etc...) on them... I'll have to plan that ahead of time for my next city.

LordAmused

My first town i made a mess with the sewage, second one pretty much evacuated after a garbade emergency and the third one burned down

Jesus christ i'm bad at this lol

Any good totorials to watch out for?

I am with you in this one...My first town bankrupted at a population of 650 :(

You can also go up to 25 tiles through mods.

My city is slowly growing, but now that I have unlocked the bigger roads, I can't upgrade my current roads because I have special buildings (police, school etc...) on them... I'll have to plan that ahead of time for my next city.

Watching one of Quills videos I saw you can actually pay a much reduced cost to "move" special buildings as opposed to demolishing and rebuilding. Seems useful in that situation.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Maybe it's a bug then? No idea, it just leads me to believe they need to work on the crime numbers a bit more. I know quill18 had almost no crime in one of his prerelease mega cities despite having no police, just a lot of highly educated citizens.

How's your unemployment?

Even when I tanked my unemployment to get that other unique building, my crime didn't budge.

I have to restart because I screwed up my finances.

Apparently the 3 bars for zones isn't how well you are doing...it's how in demand something is LOL.

I had to stop streaming out of embarrassment

Also, I hate PC gaming. My shoulder is killing me. I must be hunched over or something

Jisgsaw

Watching one of Quills videos I saw you can actually pay a much reduced cost to "move" special buildings as opposed to demolishing and rebuilding. Seems useful in that situation.

Yes it is (usefull), but I'm constantly short on money, so it's not optimal (it does still cost a few thousand dollars/euros/whatever it's called).

If anyone can help, how do you change the colour of the bus routes?
You have to click an actual bus for each line. Same deal with subway trains too. I really hope this gets changed because it's very cumbersome.

My only traffic issues are on the exit of the pre-made highway leading into city limits. I've tried a few different things, but nothing seems to be improving it.

Even when I tanked my unemployment to get that other unique building, my crime didn't budge.

Weird. Watching Etalyx's stream, he mentioned a bug that kept the crime rate stuck at 24-25% on one of his earlier cities. No idea what he did to fix it, but his current city is having no problem hitting the 50% crime goal.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Second city time. This time armed with the knowledge of how to create different kind of roads!

Edit: Guys if you want more crime make people die in homes so they get abandoned, don't bulldoze burned down buildings and leave the abandoned ones as well.

Rad-

Thought I had been playing for 2-3 hours, turns out I played 6... Damn.

Good game but it seriously needs "auto go" to abandoned buildings. Ugh it's so annoying searching for them all the time. Or is there already?

Noaloha

I mentioned earlier as a joke that I as going to try to make an outlandish, gaelic knot-type of stack interchange. Well, I found I couldn't sleep and I guess I wasn't really joking because I found myself creeping out of bed and booting the asset editor up to see whether it could be done.

Things were going really well, surprisingly well. I'd found the heights and grid placings to achieve symmetry and was mostly at a point where I just needed to count and copy existing x-y-z from completed axes.

Then I found out that (unsurprisingly in hindsight) there's a memory or size limit or some such on number of asset types. "Cannot create any more objects of this type!"

Figured I'd mention it as a heads up for anyone else who is looking to build something a little extreme and/or silly.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Weird. Watching Etalyx's stream, he mentioned a bug that kept the crime rate stuck at 24-25% on one of his earlier cities. No idea what he did to fix it, but his current city is having no problem hitting the 50% crime goal.

Oh well. Since my crime is forever stuck at 20%, and I have not police budget whatsoever....

Time to legalize weed. Maybe that'll do something. lmao.

OmegaDL50

I mentioned earlier as a joke that I as going to try to make an outlandish, gaelic knot-type of stack interchange. Well, I found I couldn't sleep and I guess I wasn't really joking because I found myself creeping out of bed and booting the asset editor up to see whether it could be done.

Things were going really well, surprisingly well. I'd found the heights and grid placings to achieve symmetry and was mostly at a point where I just needed to count and copy existing x-y-z from completed axes.

Then I found out that (unsurprisingly in hindsight) there's a memory or size limit or some such on number of asset types. "Cannot create any more objects of this type!"

Figured I'd mention it as a heads up for anyone else who is looking to build something a little extreme and/or silly.

This will hopefully be fixed in either a future patch revision or mod.

Dimentios

Built a map based on the northern coast of Norway. I had to do some changes and the map is probably a bit to difficult. You can give it a try, if you like. I appreciate any kind of critics.

Search for: Dimentia Archipel

I haven't been playing for a half hour and I am already frustrated. Laying out one way roads in a grid is a nightmare. Then I tried zoning, and it will only let me do huge swathes in the same zoning type. I want commercial on corners with residential in between, but it seems impossible to do.

Edit: Ahhh you can change the brush sizes!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Something glitched out :lol. I was doing super bad and couldnt figure out why and then it hit me, I was a tiny bit off with my gridline to the water pumps. My city got a bad rep and I was in the red, then I got a bailout.

Now, things are starting to grow but my citizen count is stuck at 6 :lol

Noaloha

I haven't been playing for a half hour and I am already frustrated. Laying out one way roads in a grid is a nightmare. Then I tried zoning, and it will only let me do huge swathes in the same zoning type. I want commercial on corners with residential in between, but it seems impossible to do.

There's several modes for zoning, from select whole block (default, that you're using), to a marquee drag with optional auto-alignment if you select an actual zonegrid, through to two different sizes of brush, 4x4 and 1x1. They're down on the lower left when in zoning mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom