• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looked a lot easier on the streams!

Anyway, lesson learned, design for the 4/6/highway width right away, moving your every ploppable building in a 18k person city in order to upgrade roads isn't fun. Didn't encounter any major problems yet.

As a positive though, my crappy cpu manages to hold decent frame rate so far on medium settings on speed 3.

New city tomorrow/later today, this time with proper roads.

DoubleYou

What a great game! My city is doing great.
One thing I don't understand though is why my regular industry keeps saying "Not Enough Workers"
I'm keeping up with residential demand but it keeps saying this.

BashNasty

I forced it on my AMD card. Works perfect!

The flickering was so bad...

Strange, I totally tried forcing Vsync through my nvidia control panel and it didn't work. Anyone else having this issue? I'm not really hearing anyone talking about it which is odd. Are most people not having the problem? I'm real damn sensitive to Vsync issues, so I can't play the game until I fix the problem.

The bus options in this game suck. I'm still pre-trains, and I want to make one road a high capacity bus area, but I can't. I can't increase frequency of busses, I can't just pump more buses on certain routes, I can't make longer or double-decker buses, I can't do anything.

Once trains unlock I'll make that line a rain line but I still would rather be able to designate certain bus lines as being far more frequent than others.

Noaloha

It only allows me to build in one direction :(

Hydro power plants use the water physics to determine capability. You need a certain amount of water pressure to push through the dam. If you build your dam against a slow flowing river or largely static lake, it's entirely possible for the water to fail to reach the necessary force. With that said, there is also the matter of having to wait for the water level on the dammed side to rise enough such that the pressure is created. It's possible that you just need to let it sit (turned on) for a while.

Hydro power plants use the water physics to determine capability. You need a certain amount of water pressure to push through the dam. If you build your dam against a slow flowing river or largely static lake, it's entirely possible for the water to fail to reach the necessary force. With that said, there is also the matter of having to wait for the water level on the dammed side to rise enough such that the pressure is created. It's possible that you just need to let it sit (turned on) for a while.

So if there's not enough force, it'll just be dry on the other side?

My first town was going great! Nearly a thousand people, no traffic issues to speak of, lots of room to expand.

Then I snagged the highway interchange and tried to redo it, only to realize that I didn't actually have the road bits to build the offramps.

City 2.0 will go much better, but god I wish they included an undo button.

whyman

Strange, I totally tried forcing Vsync through my nvidia control panel and it didn't work. Anyone else having this issue? I'm not really hearing anyone talking about it which is odd. Are most people not having the problem? I'm real damn sensitive to Vsync issues, so I can't play the game until I fix the problem.

Same here but I managed to play 7 hours anyway. Great game. But yea they need to fix this bad.

Got lost in this game for six hours, which is a really good sign.

Checked out the stats on Steam as well, and this game is pulling some awesome numbers. 60k peak players on the first day, and 3rd most played game on Steam today.

Ainsz

You have to click an actual bus for each line. Same deal with subway trains too. I really hope this gets changed because it's very cumbersome.

Thanks and I agree. I eventually found it myself by accident. Then had to find the right buses for each line..

XlLJiAx.jpg

Here is my little town. I'm trying to grow it in a style reminiscent of my growing up in small Midwestern towns.

I think it will be fun to establish a large sprawl and then create more density later.

Also, I have no idea how pedestrian paths are supposed to work. Any tips?

Noaloha

So if there's not enough force, it'll just be dry on the other side?

Not 100% sure whether water will still trickle through if the dam's on, while still not generating energy.

What I'd look for is the water rising on the dammed side. If I'm understanding how they wrk correctly, if the water stops getting higher and there's still no functionality (that is, pressure has maxed out), the dam's in a bad spot.

I know I saw Quill mess with dams and he was in the same boat as you are, wondering why no power was being generated. He let the game run for a while and tinkered with other crap. When he came back to the dam several minutes later, it was spitting out a shitload of power.

The bus options in this game suck. I'm still pre-trains, and I want to make one road a high capacity bus area, but I can't. I can't increase frequency of busses, I can't just pump more buses on certain routes, I can't make longer or double-decker buses, I can't do anything.

Once trains unlock I'll make that line a rain line but I still would rather be able to designate certain bus lines as being far more frequent than others.

It kind of sounds like you want one of the Cities in Motion games, actually, where you can do most/all of these things (scheduling only came in with CIM2, I think).

Maybe one day Colossal Order will make a city sim that also has all the complexity of Cities in Motion, at which point I will just never leave the house again because I will play it all day every day until I die.

multivac

Okay, so I won a copy of this game from Psykoboy2's awesome Twitch stream (check it out at http://www.twitch.tv/ingamechat!), but I had already preordered from Green Man Gaming, and now I have an extra Steam copy!

So to help spread the love of this amazing game in a small way and pay forward a bit of Psykoboy2 and friends' kindness, if there is anyone who held out on preordering who would like to buy the game now for cheaper than you could preorder for, I am looking for $20 PayPal gift. I have all positive feedback in the GAF B/S/T thread!

Chariot

By god, make some achievements, guys! Those damn Skylines Cheevos almost completely beat mybeloved Valkyria Chronicles out of my showcase :(

sFXXioc.png

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
One thing that's slightly annoying is that it's kind of hard to find your important buildings at a glance. I would like a mod where the various buildings (fire, police, schools, etc) stand out a bit more from other buildings. Icons would work too.

Are commercial buildings affected by pollution? I wonder if it's efficient to put a layer of commercial between my industrial and residential zones.

I mentioned earlier as a joke that I as going to try to make an outlandish, gaelic knot-type of stack interchange. Well, I found I couldn't sleep and I guess I wasn't really joking because I found myself creeping out of bed and booting the asset editor up to see whether it could be done.

Things were going really well, surprisingly well. I'd found the heights and grid placings to achieve symmetry and was mostly at a point where I just needed to count and copy existing x-y-z from completed axes.

Then I found out that (unsurprisingly in hindsight) there's a memory or size limit or some such on number of asset types. "Cannot create any more objects of this type!"

Figured I'd mention it as a heads up for anyone else who is looking to build something a little extreme and/or silly.

Dude, that sucks. Hopefully they patch that, as that idea looks boss.

MUnited83

For you.
Okay, so I won a copy of this game from Psykoboy2's awesome Twitch stream (check it out at http://www.twitch.tv/ingamechat!), but I had already preordered from Green Man Gaming, and now I have an extra Steam copy!

So to help spread the love of this amazing game in a small way and pay forward a bit of Psykoboy2 and friends' kindness, if there is anyone who held out on preordering who would like to buy the game now for cheaper than you could preorder for, I am looking for $20 PayPal gift. I have all positive feedback in the GAF B/S/T thread!

Still cheaper than that at Nuuvem :p

Chariot

One thing that's slightly annoying is that it's kind of hard to find your important buildings at a glance. I would like a mod where the various buildings (fire, police, schools, etc) stand out a bit more from other buildings. Icons would work too.

Are commercial buildings affected by pollution? I wonder if it's efficient to put a layer of commercial between my industrial and residential zones.
When you click on the build icons, say water and every water building will be marked purple.

dLMN8R

Can someone provide a clear graphic or numbers to compare the max city sizes between:

SimCity 4
SimCity 2013
Cities: Skylines?

I read the OP and see that there are unlockable tiles, but I can't visualize how big one tile is compared to SimCity 2013.

Also, I assume unlocking more tiles make those tile a part of the same city, rather than segmented like 2013 was, right?
Anyone? :-D

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
When you click on the build icons, say water and every water building will be marked purple.

I can find each type that way, but I'd prefer if it wasn't necessary to go into those views. Should be able to see every important building at a glance just by its outline/shape and color.

codhand

Anyone know if there are any options to adjust the size of the text in the game? i'm gonna be playing from a couch with wireless mouse and keyboard if possible....

I think I went too curvy with my first town, and it feels like I'm having trouble getting any momentum. I'm going to adopt a bit more grid I think - at least for my first section. Then once I get a solid economy I'll start making pretty suburbs.

How do I specialize a district for industry? I unlocked Farmland a while ago, and my industry buildings are on fertile land..... I select the district and it says "no specialization", but not sure where to change that. Unless I'm missing some other prerequisite....

Anyone? I feel like a moran not being able to figure this out.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Anyone? I feel like a moran not being able to figure this out.

Draw out the district over your industry area then just select the Farm one and click in the district, there should be a tractor icon or similar indicating the switch. So you have to use the generic district tool first then "stamp" it with the farm-stuff

Klyka

Banned
I didn't think pedestrians impacted on traffic? Looking at the streams, I thought cars drive through pedestrians at crossings?

Unless you mean with footpaths, people will choose to walk to work rather than drive?

Yes they will leave their cars parked. It is insane how much it helps.

I basically have a city now where in my entire residential district barely any normal car drives. They all walk and will soon take the bus. I have 1 health clinic and 1 cemetery and they have perfect coverage and access for a population of 3500.
I have 1 police department and 2 fire departments and never has a building burned down cause they can get to any of them without a hitch.

I fucking love my city.

Yes they will leave their cars parked. It is insane how much it helps.

I basically have a city now where in my entire residential district barely any normal car drives. They all walk and will soon take the bus. I have 1 health clinic and 1 cemetery and they have perfect coverage and access for a population of 3500.
I have 1 police department and 2 fire departments and never has a building burned down cause they can get to any of them without a hitch.

I fucking love my city.

Can you show how your pedestrian trails are set up? I want to do it but I don't know what works.

Melon Husk

XlLJiAx.jpg

Here is my little town. I'm trying to grow it in a style reminiscent of my growing up in small Midwestern towns.

I think it will be fun to establish a large sprawl and then create more density later.

Also, I have no idea how pedestrian paths are supposed to work. Any tips?

Pavement snap to the end of a road but you don't actually have to connect them in order to succesfully create a footpath. As long as it looks linked to the road, it should work. You can keep an eye on it for awhile to make sure you've linked them to a sidewalk.

Oh. and make lots of them. Your citizens shouldn't have to navigate a car to that shop/office across the yard.

Effect

So every time you start a new city you have to go through the milestones to unlock things correct?

For the first time through I think that might be good so you don't get overwhelmed. Could be annoying after that. Unless there is a way of stopping that and I'm just missing it.

Hey guys,

are there still copies going for around $20 or is that over?

might as well transfer from SC13 to this.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/vip/

GMG still has it for $21.89

GeoGonzo

Holy crap addiction alert. I have to actively stop myself from playing more.

The current state of my city with roughly 10000 inhabitants:
255710_2015-03-10_000mla2b.jpg

Oh, hey... that looks pretty clever. Are you using trees only for decoration or do they actually help reduce noise from the turbines?

Portman

I'm going to skip ahead to the end of the thread to ask a question and depending on the answer I will back up and read my way through it. I got Sim City at launch and was disappointed with all the issues but loved the idea of the game. I didn't know about this until just now and had thought it was another one of the Cities XL rehashes. I just bought the expansion for Sim City (it was cheap!) and installed it but I will uninstall it and buy this if it is that much better. What do you think so far, should I jump ship to this and not look back or try out Sim City first (if that won't taint my perception of this)?

Effect

I think I know how to plan out my roads but the water pipes and sewage are confusing me a bit. Possible to lay them down at different depths?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom