• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My city of about 16,000 people randomly stopped receiving oil shipments. The power plant shut down and everyone started moving away. Not sure why that happened. I'm glad I saved about 15 minutes before that happened so I can revert to that save.

Klyka

Banned
I think I know how to plan out my roads but the water pipes and sewage are confusing me a bit. Possible to lay them down at different depths?

sewage isn't it's own pipes. all pipes are and should be connected.
Just make a long line around one side of your town and then pull lines of pipes across for full coverage

vpance

I think the best thing about my city building strategy is the extremely careful planning involved.

(Yes, lame grid stuff for industry, don't worry, almost everything else is curved :p)

Those side by side on and off ramps looks quite dangerous, hehe

Shahadan

I'm going to skip ahead to the end of the thread to ask a question and depending on the answer I will back up and read my way through it. I got Sim City at launch and was disappointed with all the issues but loved the idea of the game. I didn't know about this until just now and had thought it was another one of the Cities XL rehashes. I just bought the expansion for Sim City (it was cheap!) and installed it but I will uninstall it and buy this if it is that much better. What do you think so far, should I jump ship to this and not look back or try out Sim City first (if that won't taint my perception of this)?

It's like comparing a turd and a rainbow. Buy Cities Skylines :D

Can someone provide a clear graphic or numbers to compare the max city sizes between:

SimCity 4
SimCity 2013
Cities: Skylines?

I read the OP and see that there are unlockable tiles, but I can't visualize how big one tile is compared to SimCity 2013.

Also, I assume unlocking more tiles make those tile a part of the same city, rather than segmented like 2013 was, right?

I'm curious as well, its hard to visualize without being in the game.

ZetaEpyon

My lovely burg of about 20,000
B1E36984500FF08238CA24F63D4C827A46F4C44C

Few hotspots of traffic near my industrial zones, but overall it's pretty good.

Stat!

Can't really figure out why this game runs terribly and laggy despite me having better specs than the norm.

Also, how do you remove bus lines?

Definity

I've been streaming this game from my desktop to laptop with steam streaming. It works great but I've noticed the middle mouse button does not register on the client machine but works fine on the host.

I've never really messed around with steam and streaming but this makes the camera controls a bit tough to play with. Is this a known issue or am I doing something wrong?

Portman

It's like comparing a turd and a rainbow. Buy Cities Skylines :D

Enough of an endorsement for me. Combined with the image and other feedback in here I'll be buying it. I guess I know why people in the Elite Dangerous thread were saying they'd be gone from Elite tonight due to this.

Psykoboy2

So i downloaded an intersection and i'm having trouble lining it up with the highway. Anyone know how i can finely rotate it? Using only the keyboard as i'm playing on my laptop.

Try right clicking. I think that was the solution.

Also, what a fucking day for my pc to just decide not to turn on anymore. Posting from my laptop right now. But yeah, power is getting to the motherboard but it just won't turn on.

Psykoboy2

The last part isn't strictly true. They said a lot of work needs to be done to get it working with 100km2 and it might not work at all, even if the pc has enough power to do so.

It works, actually. There is risk involved, yes, but it has more to do with the population than anything else.

tuxfool

Banned
Has anybody managed to get a good AA solution working on this game?

The built in solution isn't all that good and because the game runs in borderless windowed I can't downsample with vsr.

strata8

The last part isn't strictly true. They said a lot of work needs to be done to get it working with 100km2 and it might not work at all, even if the pc has enough power to do so.

They changed that after backlash (if you could call it that) and implemented it into the modding API. There's a mod on the workshop right now.

Moltenix

If multiple bus routes share a stop, do people transfer between them? What if routes have stops close together, can people theoretically cross the street and transfer?

Klyka

Banned
If multiple bus routes share a stop, do people transfer between them? What if routes have stops close together, can people theoretically cross the street and transfer?

yes people can and will transfer if they notice the bus works for them

yes to both, btw

Moltenix

yes people can and will transfer if they notice the bus works for them

yes to both, btw

I'm guessing the smiley faces that pop up when you put down a stop give a rough indication of how far people are willing to walk?

Time for some Transit Oriented Development!

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
6 hours in, forgot to eat dinner and I have only just learnt how to do walkways

Klyka

Banned
I'm guessing the smiley faces that pop up when you put down a stop give a rough indication of how far people are willing to walk?

Time for some Transit Oriented Development!

I'm not so sure about that. Honestly, people walk a LOT in this game, they just need to have some good pathways. I feel there is like a total amount of "steps" a person is willing to take and they will use them up. And if they know beforehand that they don't have enough "steps" to reach a destination, they will take a car instead. That's why you need pathways, to cut through places and allow them to use their "steps" more efficiently.
Then setting up bus stops will allow them to use "steps" to get to the bus, take it to the closest stop to their destination and then use the rest of their "steps" to get there.

cHinzo

28k Cims in my test city atm. Having a big road straight through the city sucks, because everyone uses that one, ugh. The traffic is so shitting in my town, but there are some great lessons learned from this one.

Can't really figure out why this game runs terribly and laggy despite me having better specs than the norm.

Tried this yet? It worked for me. The game used my Integrated card the first time. I played with like 10 fps and it was horrible. Now it runs as smooth as butter.

Mik2121

GAF, on a 1-10 SimCity 2000 scale how good is this game?

Note SimCity 2000 is the best SimCity ever.

Haven't had enough exposure to this game (only about 4 hours) but currently... about a 9 or a 10. This game does some stuff so much better. I haven't tried to manage massive cities yet so obviously hard to tell, but while making a small town I haven't had any weird issues and overall just a ton of fun.
I think it will take a few days/weeks until someone can potentially find some big issue, and then see if the developers deal with it or not (unlike SimCity).

Then again for me SimCity 4 is better than SimCity 2000 so... (in that sense, this game still feels like a 9 or 10 to me, anyway!).

I think people that has played for longer will be able to tell you otherwise. But this game will potentially go past 10 in that scale, if things work all fine!

I hate highway traffic so much. Stupid trucks just keep coming. I'm only at 7000 people and can't build railroads yet to get rid of them, but apparently I can build metro lines? WTF?

Klyka

Banned
I hate highway traffic so much. Stupid trucks just keep coming. I'm only at 7000 people and can't build railroads yet to get rid of them, but apparently I can build metro lines? WTF?

Trains are not gonna help you get rid of trucks that much. What they will do is generate massive amounts of trucks in front of your train stations.

Trains basically work as a way to either move a lot of trucks worth of cargo to export or move a lot of trucks worth of cargo to your commercial zones.

RP912

Banned
After several tries with getting different cities up and running...I finally got the hang of it. Had to pace myself because I could play this game all night long. The addiction is real.

_woLf

Is the bonus content for signing up on paradox's website thing gone now?

Every time I tried registering before the link never worked. :(

Shahadan

Is there no way to manage bus/train lines? I need a list of them or something to delete some of them.

I have only two train stations and started a second line by mistake, now there is an annoying icon forever locked on top of one station, and the annopying popup telling me to finish it.

Realyn

It's really bothering me how people just build roads over buildings, build stuff or raze stuff all without any prior planning at all. And it doesn't seem like the game is punishing you for it. So far it seems more like an road simulator than a city simulator. Will try it out for myself tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom