• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Is the bonus content for signing up on paradox's website thing gone now?

Every time I tried registering before the link never worked. :(

Did you register the game on your Paradox account on their website and then login with that account in the game?

Shahadan

It's really bothering me how people just build roads over buildings, build stuff or raze stuff all without any prior planning at all. And it doesn't seem like the game is punishing you for it. So far it seems more like an road simulator than a city simulator. Will try it out for myself tomorrow.

Why would the game punish you for modifying something? Especially since it's based on unlockables.
Besides, modifying roads can screw you over in itself, and buildings are expensive.

The Argus

This is the first Sim I've ever played where transportation actually works. My civs plan out their routes and jump around various buses and trains. God I wish this worked in the Sim Citys and Roller Coaster Tycoons, all that wasted time.

_woLf

Did you register the game on your Paradox account on their website and then login with that account in the game?

I don't know how to register my game on their website. I made a Paradox account and then just logged into it in the game itself, is that okay?

Also, can I turn off the noise filter over the camera at all...?

plenilune

A few reviews are pointing out how easy and boring end-game is. That's really my only concern about this game. I want it to be a game as much as a simulation.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I don't know how to register my game on their website. I made a Paradox account and then just logged into it in the game itself, is that okay?

Also, can I turn off the noise filter over the camera at all...?

Easiest way would be to go to the Paradox forums, login with your Paradox account, and then on your Account page there should be a Register game section.

Hawk269

I have never played any Sim City or Sim game in my life. For a complete noob to this type of game, would this be something too daunting to get into or does the game do a good job of explaining things/tutorials etc? It looks very interesting to say the least.

I have never played any Sim City or Sim game in my life. For a complete noob to this type of game, would this be something too daunting to get into or does the game do a good job of explaining things/tutorials etc? It looks very interesting to say the least.

Nah. 2x1 grids of 2-lane 1-way roads with commercial in the middle, residential after that, and then industrial along the edges with a short gap in between.

It's the classic strategy that will handle everything you throw at it until you start plopping down lots of high density.

Gives a great learning experience as you get used to handling all the non-transportation needs.

Just reading the reviews, it seems like it has it has addressed many of my main gripes of Simcity. This really realistically portrays how much of a nightmare it is to rely solely on automobiles. Simcity made so many liberties on parking and auto-traffic to make it 'easier' to fit game mechanics. Apparently if you applied any sort of realism to that game, all you will get are seas and seas of parking lots.

Effect

Things get unlocked as your city population grows which is really good. It doesn't overwhelm you. There are tutorials/explanations that pop up to explain various tools as they become available. However it's still on the player to read the descriptions for what each thing does. Then it lets you play and make mistakes.

Just take your time and read the descriptions of things and don't try to go for crazy cities right away is my suggestion. It's easy to see large cities people make and try to replicate that right away on the first try. For those really experienced with these games they can do that. For someone new they shouldn't even attempt that I think.

Corgi

Banned
Man... its been like a decade since I've played a city builder. Completely forgot how cities work.

Is there a good refresher video/guide on how to start a city?

Jedi2016

Traffic coming into my city is totally borked. I should probably just erase all the connections to the highway and rebuild it.

Does having ground pollution upstream from the water pumps cause problems with the drinking water? I may have put my incinerators in a bad spot.

Yup, I just played all night. Want to keep going but I know that I need to sleep. This game good. Damn good. Thank you Colossal Order and Paradox for doing what EA/Maxis could not. And with a dev team of only around 13? Mind blowing. And the price: $30 ($22 on GMG VIP). Are you freaking kidding me? Insane I say.

I think this series has a bright future. The Steam Workshop already has almost 1000 items in it. Probably more by the time you read this lol.

There are some minor things I could criticize but honestly they pale in comparison to how much I love this game so far. I've only played 5 hours but... I think that I might like this more than SimCity 4. Time will tell and there's still the possibility the game falls apart but watching Kongor's stream (a growing 550k+ city w/ 25 tiles unlocked), the end game - if there is such a thing - looks solid as well.

I'm gonna be dreaming of highways and zone layouts tonight.

boltz

I'm really glad to hear this game turning out so well. I'm really tempted to jump in, but city sims are huge time sinks for me, so I'll just live vicariously through this thread :)

Hari Seldon

Just joined the train, installing now. It is easy to support a game at this price point with tons of mods and the ability to play it with my kids.

Is there a reason I have barely any commercial demand? I have only a small amount of commercial zones yet all they seem to want is more housing and industry.

Just broke 11k citizens, loving the game.

Here's what my city looks like now:

wBZajvK.jpg

georgc

HELP!! My Dam has stopped letting water through and generating power. It's turned on and I have money to operate it. Please help.

Jedi2016

HELP!! My Dam has stopped letting water through and generating power. It's turned on and I have money to operate it. Please help.
Did it ever work? I've seen a few streamers put them across rivers that weren't actually flowing. How's the water level on each side? The back side should be a lot higher.

_woLf

Easiest way would be to go to the Paradox forums, login with your Paradox account, and then on your Account page there should be a Register game section.

I did that, should it automatically add it now?

Also, anyone know how to get rid of the noise filter on the camera?

I bought this on a whim and I'm completely new to city builders. I'm getting a lot of abandonment in my industrial area, which I assume is a symptom of not enough workers. However, my demand for residential areas is usually met. Is it a matter of the residential areas being too far from the industrial areas with not enough transportation to and from?

Here's my city, for reference:

Giever

I don't understand where or how to arrange water treatment plants so as to actually have an effect on the water pollution. :|

wit3tyg3r

Just sunk 5 hours into Skylines without even noticing... Goodness, this game is awesome.

I do wish there were some planning features, like Prison Architect. I would love to be able to "sketch" out ideas before committing them.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Hmm, it starts out kinda hard with electricity and all, but right now I am pulling 14K in taxes, making the building part easier. Hard keeping track of all the stuff sometimes but so far nothing has exploded in my face, only trash which is becoming a bit of a problem.

wrongway

This game's one hell of a time vampire. Thought I'd start off by just throwing stuff around to get a feel for things. Three hours gone instantly. :x

Can someone Please answer me this;

Is the game playable offline?

Is it very heavy on a laptop? Im running windows 7 with 6gb of ram and nvidia 1gb dedicated video card.

For the people having trouble with industry not having enough workers, you may want to check the education level of your population, and compare that with what your industry is requesting. I'm not saying for certain that's the issue, but I know commercial buildings tend to ask for educated workers pretty early, and will complain about a lack of sufficiently educated workers. Industry doesn't seem to complain about that, and my suspicion is that I don't have enough UNeducated workers. I believe SimCity exhibited similar behavior at times.

jb1234

I'm starting to remember why these games piss me off. My citizens are bitching because I don't have any schools. But I can't afford schools without raising taxes. And thus, they bitch about me raising taxes. :p

Holy shit, time just flies.

Did a lot of terrain map and started my city, I think it was a 12am (been doing terrain since 8pm), thought only 2 hours had passed and looked at the clock really hopping is not 4 am or something crazy like that. It's 4:05am FUCK. Better switch off the game and go to sleep...
Wait a moment, the traffic on there, Need to change it before going to sleep....
Looks clock again...
4:40am. DAMN!

Thats how good the game is.

Also the game works like charm on max setting, and I have an old CPU.

Can someone Please answer me this;

Is the game playable offline?

Is it very heavy on a laptop? Im running windows 7 with 6gb of ram and nvidia 1gb dedicated video card.

YES! Absolutely, I think you need online the first time so steam can do its thing and then offline all the way.

I dont know the answer about the laptop, sorry.

Anyone playing on OS X? Just wondering how it's running for you.

Macbook Pro Retina Mid 2012. 2.6 GHz Core i7 16GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M. Runs alright, pretty much have everything on low settings but it still looks decent. Really wish I could max it out, but that will probably have to wait until Apple decides to refresh their 15' Macbook Pro line.

Coworker installed it today at work. He has one of the 2014 (I think) Macbook pros with an AMD card. In general if you have an AMD card it will run much better than the Macbooks with NVIDIAs I think. His seemed to run smoothly at default settings.

Also, just FYI there are a few things that you need to do on Macbooks before you can get it to run. I had to uncheck the "enable the steam overlay while in game box" and also verify integrity of the game cache. These are known issues and documented across multiple community forums. Once you do these two things it will work just fine.

KaYotiX

Banned
Bought it and love this game!

Runs decent on my old Quad core processor with a 570. Will upgrade in the summer but so far this is what I wanted out of Sim City.

Corgi

Banned
hmmm having a money problem... and being colorblind makes some of the fire/medical/school stuff a pain.

need to relearn city stuff.

I can echo the sentiments of time flying by. Here is my end of day one progress:

yHn9yb7.jpg

Still a very small little town. The upper left* side of the picture is where "downtown" will be for this city. I eventually want to have a neighboring town across the bay there expanding to that mountain. So much to do!

Prologue

Macbook Pro Retina Mid 2012. 2.6 GHz Core i7 16GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M. Runs alright, pretty much have everything on low settings but it still looks decent. Really wish I could max it out, but that will probably have to wait until Apple decides to refresh their 15' Macbook Pro line.

Coworker installed it today at work. He has one of the 2014 (I think) Macbook pros with an AMD card. In general if you have an AMD card it will run much better than the Macbooks with NVIDIAs I think. His seemed to run smoothly at default settings.

Also, just FYI there are a few things that you need to do on Macbooks before you can get it to run. I had to uncheck the "enable the steam overlay while in game box" and also verify integrity of the game cache. These are known issues and documented across multiple community forums. Once you do these two things it will work just fine.

Any chance it would run better in windows through bootcamp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom