• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kabouter

Woo, 95% happiness achievement fired after all, guess I have so few commercial areas, their happiness didn't pull the average down that much.

I want to make a successful rural farm and expand to a big city. I like districts, and I hope the end goal isn't just to move into high-end cities.

Office zones are cool though, but it seems there is no reason to keep basic industrial zones, is there? They produce "goods", but are they of any use over office zones and educated populations?

Also, maybe it's too early but...

best city builder ever? What do you guys make of this compared to SC4 (which I think is widely regarded as greatest). Is there anything here that SC4 did better?

Some things I'd like to see via DLC/mod content:

-Homelessness (citizens don't just move away, they become homeless, and from there, citizens with homes move out if there are too many homeless people)

-Weather (I'd love, love, love to prepare for hurricane/winter season and have a budget to manage this)

J9Jzwbz.jpg

best city builder ever? What do you guys make of this compared to SC4 (which I think is widely regarded as greatest). Is there anything here that SC4 did better?

Don't get this, at least not until the UI and UX are fixed up with future patches and/or mods. There are too many "small" things that pile up to become a very boring and annoying experience - things that even SC2013 took care of with aplomb.

It's mostly to do with how the city sounds mostly dead, really, but road tools need a lot of work, and the UI is information overload. The data maps also really needs some form of posterization to be a bit more...accessible.

Mik2121

Don't get this, at least not until the UI and UX are fixed up with future patches and/or mods. There are too many "small" things that pile up to become a very boring and annoying experience - things that even SC2013 took care of with aplomb.

It's mostly to do with how the city sounds mostly dead, really, but road tools need a lot of work, and the UI is information overload. The data maps also really needs some form of posterization to be a bit more...accessible.
For example? And I'm asking honestly as I've only played 4 hours and the only annoyance was the tweet feed thing.

Edit: ah didn't see the second paragraph. I see the roads stuff being talked about a bit. I've been mostly using two-way roads but I can see how it could get difficult to use without some 'flip' tool or something.

What do you mean? Any examples? How is it boring?

I do think it would be nice to have a minimap for the data maps

senelian

Neo Member
Dead people...
Dead people everywhere
I have ton of crematorium and cemetery but somehow my city is like a episode from walking dead...

BlackJace

Is anyone using coal (I put a plant down in my industrial zone)? It gives you a nice surge of energy, but my citizen are sending me passive-aggressive tweets!

For example? And I'm asking honestly as I've only played 4 hours and the only annoyance was the tweet feed thing.

Road tools seriously need guides based on other roads that already exist within the city. It's hard to draw roads that are properly planned when you can only see the guide for the current road. (In SimCity 4, that wasn't a real issue, as you're building on a grid. SimCity 2013 had very robust road guides that extend up to two roads away and accounts for different road widths.)

I've personally found the advisors to be a bit too impersonal and wall-of-text-y.

Problem indicators on buildings need to be more visible and distinct. Right now, the indicators are too small, and some of them can be easily confused with other things.

The game really asks for drag-scrolling. It doesn't have it for some reason.

A right-click should ideally dismiss tools.

Most of the boringness in the game really comes from the sound design being...dreadful relative to SimCity 4 and 2013.

Both SimCities had catchy music that would end up with you humming along, really, but CSL has music that goes into the background - not fitting for a city simulator, really, as it ends up feeling awful instead.

The ambient noise needs retuning at high zoom distances - I ended up minimizing the ambient sounds volume just so I don't have an headache.

The 2013 SimCity also had the right combination of sounds when you're zoomed in up close. It really makes you feel that you're there - instead of just "noise", you actually can feel the kids playing around, construction works going on, emergency vehicles doing their own things... Heck, even when you select a building, the buildings tend to play a sound that indicates how it's doing. Plopping buildings and zoning things are also way more satisfying because of the distinct feedback caused by the varied sounds they produce. I'll never forget the "ka-ching!" every time I zone commercial, lol.

Jintor

So I just booted this up, but sup with the initial highway connection when you don't have anything but the roads anyway?

Or overlays not coming into play until higher pop, so I can't see what resources I have

these are probably basic questions really, I'm just futzing around after work right now

Yeah, you can take a successful rural farm town and turn it into a city, that's what I did

Cool! But could you potentially have an entire farm district that sustains your city without needing to destroy/upgrade it, while remaining beneficial/profitable?

I want to support both city/rural, industrial and office. But is the ultimate goal with these games to just move into the last unlockable zones (aka, high density zones/major cities)?

Also, I've been having low FPS and thought my PC was just not good enough, but that shouldn't be the case.

Found this solution on Reddit.

golem

The 2013 SimCity also had the right combination of sounds when you're zoomed in up close. It really makes you feel that you're there - instead of just "noise", you actually can feel the kids playing around, construction works going on, emergency vehicles doing their own things... Heck, even when you select a building, the buildings tend to play a sound that indicates how it's doing. Plopping buildings and zoning things are also way more satisfying because of the distinct feedback caused by the varied sounds they produce. I'll never forget the "ka-ching!" every time I zone commercial, lol.

I have to say this makes a huge difference in my enjoyment of the game as well.

Kabouter

^^ How's law enforcement in Farmington, Kabouter?

It's pretty good like everywhere else :p

Cool! But could you potentially have an entire farm district that sustains your city without needing to destroy/upgrade it, while remaining beneficial/profitable?

Yes, that is the case for me. And you don't have to move to a giant city if you don't want to, a small village is perfectly sustainable.

Jintor

Yeah, it somehow feels... a mite sterile. The systems so far seem to work better, but SimCity2013 only really began to crash heavily in terms of everything working together until... I dunno, 2-3 hours in? and i've only been futzing around for 30 minutes or so.

It really does feel like I'm playing with a model village, but not a cool simcity 2013 one (even if the actual thing was rubbish

Jaevlar

After seeing some of the cities in this thread I really need to step my game up.

Having a hard time really getting the initial layout of the city right, as it ends up a clusterfuck of roads going everywhere.

Despite this I'm really enjoying myself, washed the bad taste of SC5 out of my mouth.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I created a horrible, unsolvable traffic problem. I tried to fix it for a while, but when I zoomed out and rotated the camera, I realized I had subconsciously made my city in the shape of Florida.

Doomed to fail.

Mik2121

Road tools seriously need guides based on other roads that already exist within the city. It's hard to draw roads that are properly planned when you can only see the guide for the current road. (In SimCity 4, that wasn't a real issue, as you're building on a grid. SimCity 2013 had very robust road guides that extend up to two roads away and accounts for different road widths.)

I've personally found the advisors to be a bit too impersonal and wall-of-text-y.

Problem indicators on buildings need to be more visible and distinct. Right now, the indicators are too small, and some of them can be easily confused with other things.

Most of the boringness in the game really comes from the sound design being...dreadful relative to SimCity 4 and 2013.

Both SimCities had catchy music that would end up with you humming along, really, but CSL has music that goes into the background - not fitting for a city simulator, really, as it ends up feeling awful instead.

The ambient noise needs retuning at high zoom distances - I ended up minimizing the ambient sounds volume just so I don't have an headache.

I see. Those are some some fair complains indeed, and things that I also feel same about. I guess I somewhat forgot them because of all the other good things this game does.

Regarding the drag-scroll and right click to dismiss tools, I absolutely agree here. How those two things are not there I can't even comprehend. Hell, I now remember I've done those two actions accidentally quite a few times. I now started to get used to WASD for movement and QE for rotation (which I really appreciate). But being able to do all that with just the mouse would be so much nicer.

As for the music, I wonder if it'd be possible to get the SimCity 3000 or 4 music and have it play in this game.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Is it just me or does it seem weird that you can empty, or for that matter, move a cemetery? You would think it'd be really hard to move a whole cemetery. And emptying it? That just seems disrespectful.

welp, started the game, built a road, expanded too quickly, didnt build sewage, constantly kept losing money, everyone mad, fires everywhere, done.

this game is great

Sloane

Banned
I've only managed to build one city yesterday but so far the game is ace. I don't remember Sim City 4 in a lot of details because, well, it came out 12 years ago or something, but Cities really feels like the proper sequel we never got from EA. A few things need to be fixed (I agree on the road building, for example) but nothing that couldn't be done in a few weeks time.

Q: does this game feature any tutorials of some sort, and how noob friendly is it for someone who hasn't played these types of games before?

Just watching YT videos and looks really great, tempted to pick it up but worried that I will overwhelmed by everything.

One more thing, do actual people drive the vehicles who live in the game? I mean like in skyrim, everyone has their own home.

Q: does this game feature any tutorials of some sort, and how noob friendly is it for someone who hasn't played these types of games before?

Just watching YT videos and looks really great, tempted to pick it up but worried that I will overwhelmed by everything.

It's mostly OK if you don't mind the road tools being horrible.

Mik2121

When you start playing you will get a few tutorial prompts explaining you what to do. They are not very detailed but once you learn the basics, you should be able to get an idea. After that it's just making a city and learning from your mistakes, then making another city from zero, rinse and repeat!

My town so far.
It's making a good profit atm despite having a whole bunch of policies (it'll go up too I have too much electricity and water atm as I'm waiting for a bunch of residential zoning to fill in after just expanding the city with the top left part)

I rerouted both my work commute bus lines away from the sterling district intersection to the roads that connect to the industry road that starts at the landfills (and goes north) which removed the traffic bottleneck I had at that sterling district intersection.

I'm not sure what to make of the traffic heat map, all the other darker/red sections actually have no hold ups of any kind.
The only actual bottleneck atm (but it's really slight) is the little stretch between hillbillville and smokeytown.
I'm not sure how to fix it.
There's a one way road heading in from the freeway west and another right above it heading back out to the freeway so that isn't causing it,I guess it's the traffic that goes from smokeytown back to the residential area.
I guess I'll add a roundabout there tomorrow, got plenty of room anyhow

I dicked around with the buss lines so much before I had them how I wanted, they are pretty good for directing some traffic around/away from busy intersections.

The red patch west from the wood heights area is not actually a bottleneck.
There's 3 bus stops there for people to transfer between busses so I guess the game counts it as super heavy traffic on that one tile, but the busses stop in the parking lane they never hold up traffic even when there's like 4 (rarely there's 4)
One bus leads from North avenue district (everything above the sterling intersection) to smokeytown, another from south avenue district (everything below it) to smokeytown, and the bus stops are at that place because there is a third bus line that only commutes from that stop through the farming road and back.

Also that raised 1 way road leading from the city entrance roundabout to smokeytown was really useful for keeping ALL the incoming truck traffic off the roundabout. I was going to do some big clover like highway intersection or something but this is way simpler and does what it has to do.

I guess once I upgrade my residential area to high density buildings at 5500 population that that 2lane north -> south boulevard is going to make everything fall apart :(
I did leave space in the design of my residential area to replace the boulevard with a 4 or 6 lane road though, I'll just have to move the police station and fire station one square to the left and that's it.

This game is addictive... I played till 1 am and was tired, but couldn't sleep thinking of the damned game and how I was going to change my city, went back to 'quickly change that one thing that was keeping me up' and suddenly it's 9 am...

edit: I wonder if I can place a landfill in my city entrance roundabout, just noticed my garbage trucks are going to use both the boulevard and the slightly congested smokeytown intersection to get to the new northwest expansion town which is bad... + a landfill inside the roundabout to the city entrance will make a great first impression/tourist attraction

Also I haven't put any thought at all into how I'm going to expand to the other tiles, this city might be a dead end once the first tile fills, but hey it's my first one anyway

edit 2 : just noticed my city is shaped like the holy hand grenade from monthy python

...WAIT A MINUTE!

This isn't related to Cities XL? Never has a thread title ignited so much interest in a game I had completely written off. Now I understand why people have been hyped for it.

Looks great!

Seanspeed

Banned

I feel like you keep repeating these same criticisms and I'm really not seeing where you're coming from. I have none of these issues you're having. Music and sound is fine for the most part(more satisfying zoning sounds?). Edge scrolling is proving entirely adequate for me. And so far, I'm not having any trouble with road building.

You're entitled to your opinion and all, but it really feels like you just want it to be an absolute direct clone of SimCity and anything else is 'bad'.

slash3584

To be honest I've been having some issues when laying down some roads, but nothing too serious.Sometimes I just want to make a generic square and can't seem to measure right so one of the sides of the square isn't crooked.

But other than that, boy this game is addictive. Played for like half an hour after getting from work yesterday and I was like well It's a little cool city builder, nothing special. Later I wanted to put a few more minutes before I went to bed and ended staying up till 2 AM.

As a city builder noob I have some issues I wanted to clarify.

Since I started putting schools it seems like all my industry buildings are getting abandoned because there are too few uneducated workers. Is there a way to improve this?

I though about making a low density residential district far away from any school and set low taxes on it and call it "Dumbville" but don't know if that would work.

Also suddenly I have a big garbage problem. At my current population of almost 15K I have a 130% budget on garbage disposal, 2 incinerators and 3 landfills and I still get some garbage problems from time to time. No traffic issue either so I can't figure out what's the problem.

Durante

I feel like you keep repeating these same criticisms and I'm really not seeing where you're coming from. I have none of these issues you're having. Music and sound is fine for the most part(more satisfying zoning sounds?). Edge scrolling is proving entirely adequate for me. And so far, I'm not having any trouble with road building.

You're entitled to your opinion and all, but it really feels like you just want it to be an absolute direct clone of SimCity and anything else is 'bad'.
Yeah, I also haven't really noticed any of those things. I mean, I can see that some of the tools could be improved, but that's an incredibly minor issue IMHO.

They really need to add a tree brush tool.
Now this is one which actually annoys me, I want to use the map-making tool brushes to place trees in city building mode!

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Yeah, I also haven't really noticed any of those things. I mean, I can see that some of the tools could be improved, but that's an incredibly minor issue IMHO.

Now this is one which actually annoys me, I want to use the map-making tool brushes to place trees in city building mode!

Someone made a forest asset in the intersection editor, you can make your own too with other trees.

637x358.resizedimage

xBladeM6x

Well game crashed and I learned there's no autosave

fuck.

While there's no autosave, isn't F1 quicksave? Could always have a macro hit it every 5 minutes if you don't remember. (That's not to say that's acceptable, but just a solution for the future until they put in an autosave feature)

Rootbeer

Banned
I hope they fix steam overlay in mac...

that is very basic functionality that should not be broken

how does a problem that obvious make it through to release?

I agree the UI need some tweaking.

Most annoying is the abscense of dragging the map with your mouse, i try to donit all the time. And i hate moving the map from the edges. So I pretty much need a second hand in a game I really don't need one.

RMB dismiss. Sure why not.

And the info screen and budget screen won't stay up at the same time... Which is annoying.

Hip Hop

what kind of entertainment establishments can you set up, like amusement parks or other things for your population?

Sevenfold

Yeh losing my first city after i finally got it going nicely sucks, at least there are already autosave mods up on the steam workshop

So happy with the game. So disappointed with the audio. I want someone to unpack the SC2013 audio files and replace the CSL ones with them ha. The ground level audio is terrible and why the hell is it so noisy at full zoom? I'm sure the devs will sort the levels but I'm afraid I'm going to be playing in mute or super low for now, where it was one of my favourite elements of SC2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom