• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So yeah, it's 12:30 AM and I have to go to work in the morning, this game is as addictive as Civ 5 is. Just one more turn!!!!

Welp, I love the game, plain and simple. I'm pretty sure my Simcity 4 is now retired. I took my time exploring and reading every little tooltip and chirp and achievement I could as I played. Only got my first city up to 10K pop today but it was a good start. Had a couple power outages, had my high school catch on fire three times tonight, the damn building just wanted to burn to the ground. I've got a traffic issue right at the heart of my industry district too, gonna work on that more tomorrow.

This is where my city ended up as I'm heading off to bed:
34j2Bsz.jpg

Here is the aerial view:

Gonna work my way around that lake and then expand west towards the train tracks. This damn game is fun, it's even better than I expected it to be.

Time to sleep now, wish I didn't have to work tomorrow!

bargeparty

I can echo the sentiments of time flying by. Here is my end of day one progress:

yHn9yb7.jpg

Still a very small little town. The upper left* side of the picture is where "downtown" will be for this city. I eventually want to have a neighboring town across the bay there expanding to that mountain. So much to do!

Wish I was this creative. I always just try for a grid layout :/

whats the known team and budget on this thing

it amazes me that simcity failed so hard and this is getting near universal praise

im inches from buying it

Just spent 2 hours playing, quit to desktop and realize I forgot to save my city. They really need a warning or save prompt. Not that I mind that I get to make an entirely new city.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Man, this game is addicting. 4 hours flew by (damn school). My first city came out alright. Seems to be sucking down electricity like no tomorrow though. It wasn't big either.

Surfheart

Macbook Pro Retina Mid 2012. 2.6 GHz Core i7 16GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M. Runs alright, pretty much have everything on low settings but it still looks decent. Really wish I could max it out, but that will probably have to wait until Apple decides to refresh their 15' Macbook Pro line.

Coworker installed it today at work. He has one of the 2014 (I think) Macbook pros with an AMD card. In general if you have an AMD card it will run much better than the Macbooks with NVIDIAs I think. His seemed to run smoothly at default settings.

Also, just FYI there are a few things that you need to do on Macbooks before you can get it to run. I had to uncheck the "enable the steam overlay while in game box" and also verify integrity of the game cache. These are known issues and documented across multiple community forums. Once you do these two things it will work just fine.

Thanks for the info, I've got a desktop Mac so I guess I should be ok

jwhit28

How do you handle over educated workers? Do I just have to island off some residential away from any university access or am I gonna have to go all office industry?

How hardware intensive is the game?

Your cpu will matter the most, the largest cities on streams seem to limit the simulation speed later on, don't know if it is because of not having enough horsepower or the the game itself won't let it go faster because of how complex the simulations get at that point.

On the other hand, my crappy C2D e8200 from 2007 seems to work just fine atleast for now. Dual core, from 2007. What? Also 6gigs of ddr2 and 750 Ti.

boltz

it amazes me that simcity failed so hard and this is getting near universal praise

im inches from buying it

That's what happens when you have corporate overlords who want to maximize profit, customer be damned. Hopefully this provides a lesson that you can make a money-making game without resorting to anti-consumer practices.

What can I do to increase (yes, increase) crime?

The reason behind this is, that I want to unlock the court building. Since I believe it would be very risky to do this in a larger city without destroying it completely, I want to do this early on. I'm at 5000 people at 50% unemployment rate (to unlock another building) and with schools and police on shutdown. There's not a single cop on the streets.

But still I don't get the crimerate above 25%. My citizens are still reasonable happy and are not leaving town. I'm still making money ;-)

So, what else can I do to destroy the lives of my citizens?

Giever

Is there a way to turn off Chirpy without losing achievements? I downloaded a mod for it, but I can't turn it on without turning off achievements.

strata8

im inches from buying it

2 years with 9 people for most of the development, increased to 12 in the last 6 months.

I think the budget would've been 2-3 million at most.

Everything is preventing me from playing this. First I work 3 hours longer I expected and now I get home and the cat has broken into the organic waste bin.

I JUST WANT TO BUILD

All the cities I've seen posted look great. Gaaaaah

sueil

This game has some problems that prevent it from being really great. The UI in general needs another pass and linking roads to zoning seems like a real annoyance to me. I wanted to redo my roads for better traffic flow and quickly found this would lead to getting rid of every citizen in my city. Destroying a road doesn't just get rid of the road but all buildings on it. I couldn't change a one way into a two way street without destroying every building on it? What sense does that make. So I have to choose between not redoing my roads and having traffic issues or destroying every building in my city and losing the game basically. I couldn't plan it out ahead of time in a better manner because they lock buildings and roads behind a progress system. Game is a step down from Sim City 4 Deluxe Edition. The greatest still hasn't been topped.

This game has some problems that prevent it from being really great. The UI in general needs another pass and linking roads to zoning seems like a real annoyance to me. I wanted to redo my roads for better traffic flow and quickly found this would lead to getting rid of every citizen in my city. Destroying a road doesn't just get rid of the road but all buildings on it. I couldn't change a one way into a two way street without destroying every building on it? What sense does that make. So I have to choose between not redoing my roads and having traffic issues or destroying every building in my city and losing the game basically. I couldn't plan it out ahead of time in a better manner because they lock buildings and roads behind a progress system. Game is a step down from Sim City 4 Deluxe Edition. The greatest still hasn't been topped.

Chaning roads has to be easier, I'm sure everyone here agrees. But I think most are confident that such things will be fixed over time.

I for one really enjoyed last night building up my little city.
Traffic is a huge problem in it now, because I didn't build any large roads and mistakenly placed some one way streets early on.
I'll get into fixing that this evening.

sueil

Chaning roads has to be easier, I'm sure everyone here agrees. But I think most are confident that such things will be fixed over time.

I for one really enjoyed last night building up my little city.
Traffic is a huge problem in it now, because I didn't build any large roads and mistakenly placed some one way streets early on.
I'll get into fixing that this evening.

If they fix that I would be a lot happier with the game. It has a lot of great parts to it. But I got frustrated with that issue.

BearPawB

Banned
Is there any solution to the garbage problem? As soon as i get a decent sized city, all of my dumps fill up, and my incineraters don't seem to do anything to help the problem

Some stuff from me:

Arial
cities2015-03-1106-12otkcc.png

cities2015-03-1106-1539jkg.png

I just love drawing bus lines.
cities2015-03-1106-17v4j0v.png

cities2015-03-1106-309ukmw.png

Tip: Seperate your bus lines with names and colors to tell them apart.
And don´t use the same bus stop for multiple lines. keep them some meters apart and do a 4 or six track.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
My trash is filling up super quickly but I'm not up to 8000 yet. How do I deal with it? Can I export it outside the city? When I unlock the incinerator can I empty my landfills into it? Trash tips please??

Qwell

My trash is filling up super quickly but I'm not up to 8000 yet. How do I deal with it? Can I export it outside the city? When I unlock the incinerator can I empty my landfills into it? Trash tips please??
I built a central Industrial zone and put about 5 landfills in it, that let me get up to the 8k to get the incinerator, but garbage just always became a problem even when I tried to just build more and more landfills and incinerators on one location to centralize pollution and instituted a recycling policy.

Just hit 65k and built my airport, I actually have tons of money now, sitting on about 4 million. Issue I'm having is like no matter what about every hour u lose like 10k population and have to build it back up and I don't know why. I think the game just likes the cycle I have to destroy lots of abandon buildings and let them rebuild. My demands never get out of whack, always good water, electric and other services.

Absinthe

Anyone see any good tutorials for building cities and stuff?

That deal on GMG is insane. so good !

Check out Quill18 on Youtube, I enjoyed watching his stuff this last week.

So far I am loving this game. 4 hours has flown by and I feel like I'm just getting started.

My town is sitting at 9k right now but I feel like it should be higher. Anything I should know about population increase?

MattyG

Banned
Would someone who's never really played a city builder for any significant length of time and didn't like the Simcity trial be able to enjoy this game? All these screens are pushing me towards a purchase.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Would someone who's never really played a city builder for any significant length of time and didn't like the Simcity trial be able to enjoy this game? All these screens are pushing me towards a purchase.

I've never played a game like this before. My first city fell apart very quickly, but I learned my lesson and my second city is going really well at 36k citizens right now. It's a bit messy though, so I'll ride it out until it implodes and try again with better organization. It's so damn satisfying.

MattyG

Banned
I've never played a game like this before. My first city fell apart very quickly, but I learned my lesson and my second city is going really well at 36k citizens right now. It's a bit messy though, so I'll ride it out until it implodes and try again with better organization. It's so damn satisfying.
THIS is why I needed to hear. I need a satisfying but relaxing game right now.

Would you guys recommend the normal edition or deluxe? Is there anything really worth having in the Deluxe Edition?

Did someone post the LGR review? If not, here it is.

This was made with the Unity engine? I am impressed.

Great review though, Clint from Lazy Gamer is a huge sim/ city builder fanatic, so seeing his perspective on the game is welcomed.

I was a huge fan of Sim City 2000 and Sim City 4 back in the day, but I felt burned by Sim City 5. This review is really convincing me to buy the game... and at the $29.99 I may do that.

How profitable are districts? I had a timber district making around $5/m^2

Is that a lot of money to export?

I killed two cities early on because I was suddenly bankrupt. Turns out policies were costing me thousands on the weekly.

My city has grown well now, but it doesnt look anywhere near as gorgeous as the ones I'm seeing here. What's the secret? I have an 18K population city right now but am having trouble with garbage. I'm trying to move a section to a new square for garbage, but have a deposit site close to where my major city is going to expand into. Sadly, I keep struggling to offload the landfill site, so I made the trash burning building next to it and am slowly offloading the landfill until I can demolish it. Then Ill open a new area South, and move my garbage that way, while trying to expand west somehow.

However, I have a lot of crooked roads and just one area with heavy traffic. I am amazed at how beautiful your guys' cities are.

Any basic tips here? I just sort of made little road branches for residential at first, but it's not as fancy as the spirals I see here.

Also, is it just me, or does this game not have as much of a demand on commercial as Sim City 4 did?

Acerac

Banned
Finally got a chance to get a couple hours in to it, awesome game thusfar. Really glad I sprung on it.

...I keep restarting my city due to being unhappy with my progress.

Personally, I think the road tools in this game are plain dreadful after spending more time with the game. Let's just say that not having proper road guides for road planning (for future expansion, or for wider lanes) hurts a lot.

The curved road tool is also very unintuitive in my opinion - there really should be an "auto-snap" mode. Think a mode where the curve is automatically generated and you only need to specify the start and end points, with the curve determined by how you mouse, but not free-form. (Speaking of road snap points, it'd be better if it was more sensitive to intersections, too.)

It would also be nice if right-clicking anywhere while a tool is selected dismisses the tool immediately. Quality of life improvements.

Also, is it just me, or is something screwed up with the traffic lights? Apparently the traffic lights just don't stay green long enough for any significant traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom