• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna try this when I get back home:

round+neighborhoods.jpg

elyetis

And so far, I'm not having any trouble with road building.
I don't have huge problems with the road building tool, but I quickly felt that it could be improved. Making it easier to make parallel roads ( mostly if curved ), maybe a circle tool, small things like that could really make my life easier.

Kabouter

My city is at 80k now and my CPU (i5 4670k) is at about 85% load. Still have quite a bit of space to expand as well. Yeah, I don't think I'll be needing that 25 squares mod.

I feel like you keep repeating these same criticisms and I'm really not seeing where you're coming from. I have none of these issues you're having. Music and sound is fine for the most part(more satisfying zoning sounds?). Edge scrolling is proving entirely adequate for me. And so far, I'm not having any trouble with road building.

You're entitled to your opinion and all, but it really feels like you just want it to be an absolute direct clone of SimCity and anything else is 'bad'.

I mostly agree with this, the only thing I wouldn't mind is better music. I mean, it's fine as it is, but a great soundtrack can really make a city builder a lot better still.

Jintor

set music to silence, load simcity 3k/sim city 2013 music. we in there

seriously this music is... eh.

...hell maybe i should load tropico music

seriously though how 2 deal with the education problem? I don't want my industry to melt because my citizens be too smart. Or is it just a problem of having too many high-school ed jobs available?

I feel like you keep repeating these same criticisms and I'm really not seeing where you're coming from. I have none of these issues you're having. Music and sound is fine for the most part(more satisfying zoning sounds?). Edge scrolling is proving entirely adequate for me. And so far, I'm not having any trouble with road building.

You're entitled to your opinion and all, but it really feels like you just want it to be an absolute direct clone of SimCity and anything else is 'bad'.

Yeah, I also haven't really noticed any of those things. I mean, I can see that some of the tools could be improved, but that's an incredibly minor issue IMHO.

I've always thought that for a game to really feel right, you not only have to take care of the major elements (like the simulation) - you also need to take care of all the small things that may get in the way of fully enjoying the experience. It's less "satisfying zoning sounds" and more "lack of feedback" - all the actions I do in the game felt really empty.

Right now, I really can't recommend the game on its own merits due to some nagging problems with the experience.

I still stand firmly that the road tools are a major issue because it hinders pre-planning by a lot, really.

Kabouter

set music to silence, load simcity 3k/sim city 2013 music. we in there

seriously this music is... eh.

...hell maybe i should load tropico music

seriously though how 2 deal with the education problem? I don't want my industry to melt because my citizens be too smart. Or is it just a problem of having too many high-school ed jobs available?

What education problem? Overeducated citizens working somewhere hasn't led to any huge issues for me. Like you can see in a screenshot I posted earlier, I have tons of university educated folks working unskilled jobs in industry :p

Azusa

I have faced with the same problem and removed all my industry and build offices everywhere to fix is. But it doesn't feel right.

I want to try and build a city without any education. Have some tried?

Don't get this, at least not until the UI and UX are fixed up with future patches and/or mods. There are too many "small" things that pile up to become a very boring and annoying experience - things that even SC2013 took care of with aplomb.

It's mostly to do with how the city sounds mostly dead, really, but road tools need a lot of work, and the UI is information overload. The data maps also really needs some form of posterization to be a bit more...accessible.
Lol

StayDead

I have faced with the same problem and removed all my industry and build offices everywhere to fix is. But it doesn't feel right.

I want to try and build a city without any education. Have some tried?

One thing I want to try and I know it won't work is to just not build commercial. Just industry and residential. A true authoritarian communist paradise.

So guys I cracked and bought this game on steam. Install worked fine but I'm kind of confused by the fact that steam is popping up a cd-key to enter. I've launched the game and browsed through all of the options and can't find a location to enter it?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So guys I cracked and bought this game on steam. Install worked fine but I'm kind of confused by the fact that steam is popping up a cd-key to enter. I've launched the game and browsed through all of the options and can't find a location to enter it?

Some games do that, just ignore it.

I think the key can be used for Paradox account registration if you want to do that.

MrGlass

Try right clicking. I think that was the solution.

Also, what a fucking day for my pc to just decide not to turn on anymore. Posting from my laptop right now. But yeah, power is getting to the motherboard but it just won't turn on.

I tried that but it only seemed to snap it as certain angles. I think i might need a mouse to play this game, i'm finding it difficult with just a trackpad.

Also, can keyboard shortcuts be modified? It currently uses WASD to move but i'd like to use the arrow keys.

StayDead

I tried that but it only seemed to snap it as certain angles. I think i might need a mouse to play this game, i'm finding it difficult with just a trackpad.

Also, can keyboard shortcuts be modified? It currently uses WASD to move but i'd like to use the arrow keys.

It's a PC game, of course they can. Just open the options!

Ruruja

Oh wow. I was thinking "the cities aren't THAT bigger than SimCity.." then I got to unlock my first additional area and my jaw dropped. Yessssssssss.

MrGlass

It's a PC game, of course they can. Just open the options!

I only had a brief look but couldn't see it, i could be blind. Only going to be able to play it properly tonight.

I haven't even started my city yet, kept trying to create the perfect intersection with the highway!

StayDead

I didn't see any cd-key option in there when I made my account via the ingame menu. So I guess I'll just follow toma's advice

^
That's what I'm doing for now. Unless someone knows where to enter this product code.

The only thing you need the CD for is to register for a Paradox account AFAIK.

dejay

Banned
Sounds like me. It takes learning from your past mistakes to try to get anywhere.

(I wish there was an option to hide population milestones...it just pops up.)

It's not really that - I've been obsessing over small details like putting decorations along paths, elevated path systems, etc whilst the game is on it's slowest speed. It's very calming although at this rate it will be a while before I come close to filling 9 tiles, let alone 25.

Noaloha

I think when he said "try right clicking" he meant for you to try holding the RMB down, rather than single click. Hold right mouse and swing left and right to finely rotate the rotatables.

Options > Gameplay > Keymapping for changing your buttons.

I have one of those MMO mice with the 12 thumb buttons. I am loving having immediate access to roads, zoning, demolish tool, road up, road down, etc. as well as, for example, being able to quickly select roads twice (go to, then exit) to close down any current UI mode.

It's not really that - I've been obsessing over small details like putting decorations along paths, elevated path systems, etc whilst the game is on it's slowest speed. It's very calming although at this rate it will be a while before I come close to filling 9 tiles, let alone 25.

Haha! I know that feeling.

Normally, I just try to expand at every single opportunity.

spiritfox

I like how you can dig up corpses from cemeteries, burn them, and then reuse the space for another corpse =P

The main problem I have with the game right now are low capacities, especially for trash. it's something I hope they balance so I don't have to have multiple dumps for a small town.

I like how you can dig up corpses from cemeteries, burn them, and then reuse the space for another corpse =P

The main problem I have with the game right now are low capacities, especially for trash. it's something I hope they balance so I don't have to have multiple dumps for a small town.

I've always wondered why the capacities for power, water, sewage, and trash are as tiny as they are right now...

Or should it be how the consumption of buildings with regard to the above feels higher than expected? Either way, these are probably due for retuning.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
How is this for absolute beginners? The more I see of the game the more interested I am. I haven't any experience with city builders though. Is it fairly friendly to idiots like me?

Amazing quote when taken out of context.

The only thing you need the CD for is to register for a Paradox account AFAIK.

Checked the account creation screen there is no option to enter a cd key. I've since checked some more and it would seem the CD-Key is there to register for their technical support forums which seems sort of obtuse but I'm fairly sure that's the answer.

MrGlass

I think when he said "try right clicking" he meant for you to try holding the RMB down, rather than single click. Hold right mouse and swing left and right to finely rotate the rotatables.

Options > Gameplay > Keymapping for changing your buttons.

I have one of those MMO mice with the 12 thumb buttons. I am loving having immediate access to roads, zoning, demolish tool, road up, road down, etc. as well as, for example, being able to quickly select roads twice (go to, then exit) to close down any current UI mode.

There we go.

Ah, cheers guys. I need some glasses.

strata8

Ugh, 6 hours in one day. And I just spent the last two perfecting a bus system... in a town of 6000 people.

I've spent a bit of time following people and cars around, and there are little details. Like how vehicles rock forward when they brake too fast, or slow down for turns. If someone drives around a corner at speed, you'll see body roll, especially in larger vehicles. It's nice coming from SimCity where they were essentially on rails at a constant speed.

spiritfox

I've always wondered why the capacities for power, water, sewage, and trash are as tiny as they are right now...

Or should it be how the consumption of buildings with regard to the above feels higher than expected? Either way, these are probably due for retuning.

I would guess it's for gameplay balance, but it's not really realistic. I also don't find babysitting capacities that fun either. Luckily it should be easy to adjust.

Ah good, finally getting my city working well and......what the hell 3:15AM???

Ugh this game is too good. Damn you Colossal Order!

Great Job CO

I would guess it's for gameplay balance, but it's not really realistic. I also don't find babysitting capacities that fun either. Luckily it should be easy to adjust.

Mmm hmm. Hopefully via a patch. Right now, apparently one single coal power plant isn't even enough to power a whole 2x2km city grid...the starting size, even at 100% low density. It took me about three to four of them.

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
1375 items in the steam workshop and it keeps rising. Mostly buildings or intersections only thus far.

I'm having a hard time keeping up with subscribing to all the awesome stuff. Looking forward to be playing again tonight as I have a better idea what to do now after making my first city.

Oh, highly recommend that you get one of the auto-save mods until they patch that functionality in.

RoyalFool

Banned
Wish it was easier to build roads in perfectly straight lines. Some kind of grid tool would be very helpful. Maybe another day my dull modernist utopia.

Yer this is really annoying, a lot of the time it looks perfect but when you zone it you realize you have a sliver of unusable space in the middle :(

glaurung

Got home very late last night, downloaded from Steam, tinkered with a few setups.

OK here's the instant win for this game: by the time it usually takes me to build a complete working city in SimCity 2013 - i.e. fill an entire map, I had filled just one corner of one plot in Skylines.

I kind of wish the game would have SimCity's square/rectangle road drawing tool though. Any mods for that one?

Wish it was easier to build roads in perfectly straight lines. Some kind of grid tool would be very helpful. Maybe another day my dull modernist utopia.

Grid tools are nice to have. How about circles? Or maybe even additional road guides...

Hopefully they get patched in, but I'll take a mod, too.

(Maybe even a SHIFT modifier for 45-degree lines and perfect curves...)

Seanspeed

Banned
I've always thought that for a game to really feel right, you not only have to take care of the major elements (like the simulation) - you also need to take care of all the small things that may get in the way of fully enjoying the experience. It's less "satisfying zoning sounds" and more "lack of feedback" - all the actions I do in the game felt really empty.

Right now, I really can't recommend the game on its own merits due to some nagging problems with the experience.

I still stand firmly that the road tools are a major issue because it hinders pre-planning by a lot, really.
When you say 'feel right', it seems like you just mean 'feels like SimCity'. I'm not saying this game is perfect by any means but to say you cant recommend it because of things like less satisfying zoning sounds seems a bit absurd to me.

Anyways, I'm having a really great time. Still just got a fairly humble little town right now.

When you say 'feel right', it seems like you just mean 'feels like SimCity'. I'm not saying this game is perfect by any means but to say you cant recommend it because of things like less satisfying zoning sounds seems a bit absurd to me.

It compounds. Every time I play the game it kept feeling like something's missing to me.

Anyways, I'm having a really great time. Still just got a fairly humble little town right now.

Maybe I should try experimenting with curved roads, once I figure out how not to cause the curve tool to mess up my layout. Or intent. Any tips?

The_Decryptor

Neo Member
I've only played for about an hour, but I'm enjoying it so far. Most annoying problem I've found is that the UI isn't designed for 4K screens, and is blurry.

It's also exceedingly easy to lay down the wrong road type and have to scrap it and start over, I'd love the ability to change from one way to two way roads, and even flip the direction of roads without having to re-draw them.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Checked the account creation screen there is no option to enter a cd key. I've since checked some more and it would seem the CD-Key is there to register for their technical support forums which seems sort of obtuse but I'm fairly sure that's the answer.

On the forums there's a "My Games" tab on the main navigation bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom