• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xBladeM6x

This game seems a lot more fun than Sim City 4, not that I mind that.

Fixed. ;)

They need to patch the sirens. I can't zoom in without hearing sirens.

To be fair, that's reasonably close to what being in a large city is like.
29-9f8f03df60fc202f468f87a488e6cc85.jpg

Seanspeed

Banned
It compounds. Every time I play the game it kept feeling like something's missing to me.
No game is ever going to be perfect. All city builders have faults. If you do nothing but focus on the negatives, any game is going to feel inadequate. Like I keep saying, it sounds like you want it to be exactly like SimCity and every way that it isn't like SimCity you consider a fault. I realize we all want SimCity, but there's still a ton of things this game does well that make up for that and make the experience very enjoyable. Maybe this isn't what you want and anything less than SimCity itself is going to disappoint you, but I wouldn't project that into saying that you cant recommend it to others, as if its not a good or a fun game.

Maybe I should try experimenting with curved roads, once I figure out how not to cause the curve tool to mess up my layout. Or intent. Any tips?
If you're trying to do perfect grid layouts, yea, you're going to have a somewhat difficult time. Allowing the level of freeform road building they do comes with downsides, but the upside is that when you stop making strict grid road systems, your city tends to look a lot more natural and unique.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Got home very late last night, downloaded from Steam, tinkered with a few setups.

OK here's the instant win for this game: by the time it usually takes me to build a complete working city in SimCity 2013 - i.e. fill an entire map, I had filled just one corner of one plot in Skylines.

I kind of wish the game would have SimCity's square/rectangle road drawing tool though. Any mods for that one?

You can build your own squares/patterns in the asset editor and then use it in your maps.

There's some on the Workshop already.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
If only there was a good UI and UX.

I actually love the UI. Sure it's not as polished maybe as SC5's was, but it's extremely functional and handy. Very well done IMHO.

Don't get this, at least not until the UI and UX are fixed up with future patches and/or mods. There are too many "small" things that pile up to become a very boring and annoying experience - things that even SC2013 took care of with aplomb.

It's mostly to do with how the city sounds mostly dead, really, but road tools need a lot of work, and the UI is information overload. The data maps also really needs some form of posterization to be a bit more...accessible.

WTH are you talking about? This is the best city builder since Simcity 4, maybe even better than that IMHO, how can you not recommend this game? Seriously????

GAF, on a 1-10 SimCity 2000 scale how good is this game?

Note SimCity 2000 is the best SimCity ever.

For me I like Simcity 4 better than Simcity 2000 but those two are close in my heart, so with that in mind I'd rate Simcity 2000 a 9.2, Simcity 4 a 9.6, and Cities Skyline a solid 9.7. It's not perfect, but it's a damned good base, much better than Simcity 4 was at launch, that's for certain. After seven hours with CSL I really do think it's the best city builder ever made, honestly I do.

Durante

WTH are you talking about? This is the best city builder since Simcity 4, maybe even better than that IMHO, how can you not recommend this game?
Yeah, I agree with this. I showed some people at work the city I built yesterday and now they are thinking about getting the game. Mind you, that includes someone who buys like 1 game every 2 years :p

Noivern, every page I read theres like 2 or 3 posts by you criticising the same things. I understand having problems with some issues (because the game has them, even if still being great), and you are entitled to your opinion, but the problem is you are repeating the same issues you have 2 times for each page, your are sounding right now like a broken record because you are reapeating the same thing again and again, intead of having a real critic.
Is like if you were frustrated that the majority of people are not having the same problems with issues in the game like you and are having a good time playing the game.

Welcome to the city of Puta, population of 22,000.

Fair bit of fun, can't bring myself to curve roads though.
Full of red light districts? Lol

CTLance

Urrrrrrrrgh.

People, don't forget that emptying a landfill also recalls all of the affiliated trucks, and after they've carried off the trash to the next outlet (landfill/plant) they will stay inside even if the landfill is empty and the city is drowning in trash. Same with cemeteries. Easy to miss, especially if you are a poopyhead like me.

And yes, an undo function is sorely needed. Or maybe a blueprint overlay where you plan out an area, then press a button to commit.

Also, a nuke button. Something that kills the city in a satisfactory way, then erases the save file, all cloud backups and screenshots. I've done some terrifyingly stupid things I'd rather not remember.

Wanace

I had a population of 1000 that was dying off because of polluted water, I guess?

I had my sewer outtake going into the water downstream, and I only had 1 water tower. At first I thought it was because the water tower was near my industrial zone, but I moved it well away and people were still sick all over?

I even had 3 clinics and my town was extremely small. What was I doing wrong?

martino

You can approach things like developping a region.
I have for now 2 smalls town, with shared or not commercials, industry and electricity (depend on where you are on the map )

I really like the way thing develop so far.

bjaelke

I had a population of 1000 that was dying off because of polluted water, I guess?

I had my sewer outtake going into the water downstream, and I only had 1 water tower. At first I thought it was because the water tower was near my industrial zone, but I moved it well away and people were still sick all over?

Can you provide a picture of your city with the pollution overlay turned on?

Sickness may spread, I think.

If there are a lot of dead, that also needs to be taken care of. If you manage to get into this state without unlocking the cemetery, I'd suggest restarting your city.

Wanace

Can you provide a picture of your city with the pollution overlay turned on?

I quit shortly after, didn't take any screenshots. Although the pollution was in my industrial zone, and I had a commercial buffer between it and my residential.

Sickness may spread, I think.

If there are a lot of dead, that also needs to be taken care of. If you manage to get into this state without unlocking the cemetery, I'd suggest restarting your city.

I didn't even get to unlock the cemetery! I restarted of course I'm just wondering what I could do to avoid this happening next time.

strata8

So this is my town at the moment.

o44VYzn.jpg

Altogether a pretty liberal use of the curved tool, but I tried to maintain through roads and an overall grid, or at least a mutilated one.

Here's one of the interchanges in my bus system:
X0Su9kw.jpg

The red buses drive up and down the highway in a sort of loop, and come off into these bays. The other colours service the surrounding areas and pull into the bays to allow for transfers.

A more complex interchange at the end of the highway with a turnback:
bCysOQz.jpg

And the transport map:
9IWhfPD.jpg

I have no idea how well this scales up. With a well developed highway network I think it could be fine for larger cities.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
can you burn garbage from landfills in the incinerator? if so, do the full landfills have to be on?

Yes, landfills have to be "on", and set to "empty", this way, most of their trucks will either send garbage to incinerator, or another landfill if there's no incinerator.

Also, landfills have to be emptied before being buldozed.

Jintor

Looks pretty gorgeous. Are you all godmoding from the start? Anyone working with the population unlocks? Wondering if it's feasible to play it through level progression and still end up with a cool looking town.

spiritfox

So this is my town at the moment.

http://i.imgur.com/o44VYzn.jpg

Altogether a pretty liberal use of the curved tool, but I tried to maintain through roads and an overall grid, or at least a mutilated one.

Here's one of the interchanges in my bus system:
http://i.imgur.com/X0Su9kw.jpg

The red buses drive up and down the highway in a sort of loop, and come off into these bays. The other colours service the surrounding areas and pull into the bays to allow for transfers.

A more complex interchange at the end of the highway with a turnback:
http://i.imgur.com/bCysOQz.jpg

And the transport map:
http://i.imgur.com/9IWhfPD.jpg

I have no idea how well this scales up. With a well developed highway network I think it could be fine for larger cities.

Looks nice. Makes me wonder if the game can pull of a BRT-esque system with grade separated bus routes.

Looks pretty gorgeous. Are you all godmoding from the start? Anyone working with the population unlocks? Wondering if it's feasible to play it through level progression and still end up with a cool looking town.

I am right now, just to see how the game plays. Ended up with a decent looking town.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

well nothing keeps you from rebuilding parts if you are prepared for it (enough money), already did that a few times after some more unlocks opened up.

Chariot

I started on a standard map without mods. I think I am currently at a population of 60k and unlocked a lot. My city is butt ugly, but functional. Except for the area I started in which looks ugly and is barely functional because I was experimenting and because I have the beauty sense of a brickwall. But you can do a nice city without problem. It's not much more expensive to do a beautiful city, the proper planning is the key.

Cerity

One thing I'd like to see on the electricity side is how much is actually being used by that one grid. The game allows you to make multiple grids but there isn't much of an indicator of how much that particular grid is using. The only metric it gives is total power you can produce and how much is being used. eg. I've got a solar farm powering a high density residential area but I have no idea how much more I can add to it before blackouts start occuring.

At 36k pop now and I'm running into some weird water problems. The areas area covered by pipes, more than enough water being pumped into the system but people complaining about not getting water on the twitter thing. Also swimming in more money than I know what to do with lol.

Full of red light districts? Lol

Quite literally is lol, running into some traffic problems that I didn't think would get as bad.

Matty8787

Checked the account creation screen there is no option to enter a cd key. I've since checked some more and it would seem the CD-Key is there to register for their technical support forums which seems sort of obtuse but I'm fairly sure that's the answer.

It is for the forums, so when you post you have a little image of the games you own at the side of your avatar.

spiritfox

One thing I'd like to see on the electricity side is how much is actually being used by that one grid. The game allows you to make multiple grids but there isn't much of an indicator of how much that particular grid is using. The only metric it gives is total power you can produce and how much is being used. eg. I've got a solar farm powering a high density residential area but I have no idea how much more I can add to it before blackouts start occuring.

At 36k pop now and I'm running into some weird water problems. The areas area covered by pipes, more than enough water being pumped into the system but people complaining about not getting water on the twitter thing. Also swimming in more money than I know what to do with lol.

Quite literally is lol, running into some traffic problems that I didn't think would get as bad.

Maybe you missed a house.

Jintor

Wondering how much pre-street construction you have to do to plan out beforehand or if you're better off just upgrading/bulldozing and watching the cities just rebuild themselves

Crispy75

Looks nice. Makes me wonder if the game can pull of a BRT-esque system with grade separated bus routes.

It would have to be completely segregated in order to keep trucks and cars out, and you'd have to be really careful with how you design the stops, so that pedestrians can get to and from the "real" roads, but I don't see why not. I bet railways would smoke it for capacity though.

Crispy75

I can't remember where I read it, or if I even did:

Am I right in thinking that non-rectangular plots and wall-to-wall buildings are coming in a future update? Would be great to be able to build the sort of tight, asymmetrical street layout of old European cities without having empty grass between the buildings. Currently everything tends to look like America.

EDIT: eg:

sIGpKKL.jpg

Klyka

Banned
I can't remember where I read it, or if I even did:

Am I right in thinking that non-rectangular plots and wall-to-wall buildings are coming in a future update? Would be great to be able to build the sort of tight, asymmetrical street layout of old European cities without having empty grass between the buildings. Currently everything tends to look like America.

They said that wall-to-wall buildings are definitely coming

Wondering how much pre-street construction you have to do to plan out beforehand or if you're better off just upgrading/bulldozing and watching the cities just rebuild themselves

I usually start in a grid form to zone and get some income, once i earn like 8k/week i start rebuilding parts change low residential to high residential etc. Move density zoning into suburbs.

At 36k pop now and I'm running into some weird water problems. The areas area covered by pipes, more than enough water being pumped into the system but people complaining about not getting water on the twitter thing.
I'm getting this too. Water and sewage bars are at maximum green, I have complete coverage and no pollution issues. But everyone is still complaining about having to take #bottledshowers. Unfortunately those messages are not very helpful, so I can't work out if its just a glitch or whether something is genuinely wrong.

Crispy75

I'm getting this too. Water and sewage bars are at maximum green, I have complete coverage and no pollution issues. But everyone is still complaining about having to take #bottledshowers. Unfortunately those messages are not very helpful, so I can't work out if its just a glitch or whether something is genuinely wrong.

Can you not click on the chirper's username to zoom to where the complaint comes from?

bargeparty

I now started to get used to WASD for movement and QE for rotation (which I really appreciate). But being able to do all that with just the mouse would be so much nicer.

Was this addressed already? You can move the camera around and rotate, tilt, etc by holding middle mouse button(scroll wheel).

After seeing the Tycoon pictures, I think I am going to buy this.

I hope we get a Black and White 3. I really, really hope so. We need world building games where the small inhabitants are actually fleshed out, are born, grow up, live their lives and have a lot more detail that just boring placeholders, like most strategy and sim games, treat their citizens.

Klyka

Banned
How accurate is Kotaku's assessment of the traffic problems? Only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger

If you have traffic problems, you haven't planned properly.
To learn to plan properly you need to work on it and it takes time.

Of course, every city has "traffic problems" it's more about trying to minimize them.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
If you have traffic problems, you haven't planned properly.
To learn to plan properly you need to work on it and it takes time.

Of course, every city has "traffic problems" it's more about trying to minimize them.

Their review made it sound like EMS planning was busted. There was a gif of emergency vehicle traffic backed up for a half mile on a single lane of a three lane highway with the other lanes empty

If other people haven't had that issue, I won't worry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom