• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isomac

No, there is no real "roundabout" law in the traffic.

That kinda sucks, makes the roundabouts not worth building mostly. Would be easily fixed if you could build yield signs. Then again I think this game also doesn't have stop signs. Those two signs would help a lot.

Grief.exe

Does anyone know the cause of abandoned industrial buildings? I'll spend 3-4 minutes clearing out abandoned buildings in industry zones, and then ~10 minutes later, 30% of a given area has abandoned buildings again.

I think it's lack of workers

I was having the we problem in my city and they were always complaining about lack of workers right before they abandoned ship.

Hmm...I think I now get the hang of it now.

I think the game really wants us to use the freehand road tool to draw very natural roads. I have just realized this now.

Guess that's a different way of putting it out, and after I stopped trying to fight the tool, I've noticed that I'm getting it.

Now I no longer have a massive traffic jam at the region connection, and a lot of things are going smoothly enough.

I think my opinion is changing for the better by a long shot. They pretty much only need to retune the facility capacities, add in drag-scroll, and that's probably good enough for a solid "buy" for me.

I think it's lack of workers

I was having the we problem in my city and they were always complaining about lack of workers right before they abandoned ship.

If you have bad traffic they will complain about lack of workers as well. I had a bad situation with my bus traffic (most of my commuters) getting backed up behind assholes coming off the highway entrance. Nobody could get to work, and businesses started complaining and abandoning.

Grief.exe

How do I make farmland?
I've designated an area farmland with the district tool, but the buildings look like your average commercial buildings.

Make sure to check natural resources tab and insure you are building on an area of fertile land.

If you have bad traffic they will complain about lack of workers as well. I had a bad situation with my bus traffic (most of my commuters) getting backed up behind assholes coming off the highway entrance. Nobody could get to work, and businesses started complaining and abandoning.

Maybe my factory area was just getting too far from my suburbs. I had some busier intersections, but most of my traffic was clear of congestion.

Actually in the UK there is.
You give way to the right and only go when it's safe to do so. Unless the roundabout is traffic light controlled.

I do see a lot of people in my home town letting people go when there waiting so it might be linked to that as well.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
How do I make farmland?
I've designated an area farmland with the district tool, but the buildings look like your average commercial buildings.

I was perplexed at first, too. It is not intuitive at all.

What I did:

1) Using the district tool, outline the fertile area.
2) "Fill" the outline with the farmland district option
3) Use the industrial zone tool and plan a little industrial area like you would normally.
4) Farms should pop up.

I have a few farms now, but they're complaining about lack of workers.

Attention Colossal Order: It would be easier if we could paint districts AND have the natural resources overlay on at the same time.

xBladeM6x

Given that I've never played a city sim before, is it usual that the performance isn't going to be perfect? (very small skips, and fps drops)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Hmm...I think I now get the hang of it now.

I think the game really wants us to use the freehand road tool to draw very natural roads. I have just realized this now.

Guess that's a different way of putting it out, and after I stopped trying to fight the tool, I've noticed that I'm getting it.

Now I no longer have a massive traffic jam at the region connection, and a lot of things are going smoothly enough.

I think my opinion is changing for the better by a long shot. They pretty much only need to retune the facility capacities, add in drag-scroll, and that's probably good enough for a solid "buy" for me.

Yeah, I kept going back to the freehand road tool last night as well. I used them all regularly and learned the ins and outs of them, but the freehand tool is the one I seemed to end up using the most. It just seemed easier to get curvy roads to go where I wanted them to in freehand.

Given that I've never played a city sim before, is it usual that the performance isn't going to be perfect? (very small skips, and fps drops)

Hopefully things will get much smoother later with patches and driver updates. The game is just too dang new, it doesn't even have a proper driver profile.

Yeah, I kept going back to the freehand road tool last night as well. I used them all regularly and learned the ins and outs of them, but the freehand tool is the one I seemed to end up using the most. It just seemed easier to get curvy roads to go where I wanted them to in freehand.

I'd also like the option to make grid-based and semi-grid-based cities for high-density zones, but I think I really like how nice the curved road layouts can get when you let the game do its own thing when it comes to roads.

Speaking of the game, here comes my screenshot contribution. It's going pretty nicely for a small town of almost 5,000 peeps.

CSL-Noinoi-1.jpg

Jellzy

Neo Member

https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-159-to-203/roundabouts-184-to-190

Of course this is the Highway code in the UK, but if the game followed a few of those rules then roundabouts would make much more sense. The roundabouts are almost treated like junctions with vehicles stopping to let other vehicles on. This shouldn't happen unless traffic is backed up to the roundabout making it impossible to leave the roundabout.

Vehicles waiting to join Roundabouts in the game should be giving way to those already on the roundabout. This doesn't happen.

Regardless of this I'm having fun though, but a few tweaks to how traffic works and flows would be great. Another example brought up on this page would be allowing Emergency Vehicles to use empty lanes etc, even the opposite side of the road if possible would be great.

Got my city to 26k people, by using 2 tiles out the 5 I have, no real traffic problems yet. My industrial zones are "grids" (not "proper" grids) of 6 line roads but the rest is a bit more freeform, granted that there are shapes with 90 degree angles there too but still more relaxed.

Everything seems just fine and all. And zero roundabouts.

fedexpeon

Banned
Any tip on growing past 60K population?
I have 5M in cash, and the growth rate is literally 10 person per week.
Do I need to buy more lands? Because 1/2 of my current space is unused.
I even drop my tax rate for residential zone to 0%, and it is not attracting anyone.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Speaking of the game, here comes my screenshot contribution. It's going pretty nicely for a small town of almost 5,000 peeps.

CSL-Noinoi-1.jpg

Now see, your ground pollution is definitely brown, like its supposed to be after they patched it. Where as mine is most certainly purple, like FliXFantatier here:

Anyway
this is my humble first city.
Loads of traffic problems in old town.

hU8M2i0.jpg

I wonder why that is? Could it be different colors for different maps?

strata8

Lovely towns in this thread.

Once I unlock rail I'm thinking of building a small logging satellite town, with no school to supply plenty of uneducated jobs.

Moltenix

Played 9 hours yesterday. Had to force myself to stop and go to sleep.

My first plot of land is mostly grids which will probably turn into a downtown area eventually. I'll try to work in some curvy low density suburbs next.

No major traffic issues so far though. My bus ridership seems really good. Is the number of people you see standing at stops an actual representation of how many people are waiting for a bus? Or is it just a visual effect where it shows like 50 people even if only 1 person gets on?

Klyka

Banned
Actually in the UK there is.
You give way to the right and only go when it's safe to do so. Unless the roundabout is traffic light controlled.

I do see a lot of people in my home town letting people go when there waiting so it might be linked to that as well.

https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-159-to-203/roundabouts-184-to-190

Of course this is the Highway code in the UK, but if the game followed a few of those rules then roundabouts would make much more sense. The roundabouts are almost treated like junctions with vehicles stopping to let other vehicles on. This shouldn't happen unless traffic is backed up to the roundabout making it impossible to leave the roundabout.

Vehicles waiting to join Roundabouts in the game should be giving way to those already on the roundabout. This doesn't happen.

Regardless of this I'm having fun though, but a few tweaks to how traffic works and flows would be great. Another example brought up on this page would be allowing Emergency Vehicles to use empty lanes etc, even the opposite side of the road if possible would be great.

The traffic IN THE GAME :p

edit:

Have the people who say straight roads don't work maybe turned off the "snapping" option in the lower left or something? Because you can make perfectly straight grids very easily. It's just that sometimes the terrain will screw up the zoneable area around them.

Raven77

I think this might be the problem.

Anyway
this is my humble first city.
Loads of traffic problems in old town.

I've gotta say, that is one of the most realistically laid out and constructed cities I've seen in a video game like this. Even just looking at it now you could mistake it as an areal shot of a small city in real life. Well done.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Well Hellwhole Central wasn't doing so hot. I now know that I have to make a successful city first before I turn it into a crime infested danger zone.

Kinthalis

Banned
God damn, the cities I'm seeing in this thread put my designs to shame.

I think I'm to start a new area tonight! I like the circle and semi circle designs a lot.

I've gotta say, that is one of the most realistically laid out and constructed cities I've seen in a video game like this. Even just looking at it now you could mistake it as an areal shot of a small city in real life. Well done.

For all its flaws, you should check out some Cities XL journals, there's some impressive cities there and some of them look as 'real' as a real city in terms of design and layout. I can't wait to see more big cities from this game. They're nice reads as well, like blog entries. I mention only Cities XL because it's not grid based and the cities can be big.

In terms of actual detail and with so many mods and all the pedestrian paths and intersections I really, really think we're gonna have the most lifelike cities to date with Skylines though.

You guys have a Steam group for this game? Neo-GAF only?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
The system for laying out bus lines is probably the best I've seen in a sim so far, incredibly intuitive.

I still find it very frustrating. My beefs:

- All the lines are blue which makes it tough to distinguish each line if they overlap
- Cannot delete a line once it's made (unless I'm missing something)
- If you bulldoze a road the bus line will change without prompting you
- Cannot get data on each bus line so hard to optimize

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom