• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimrpg

With my larger city, it runs like ass.
I've set everything to low and turned off all the bells and whistles to be able to play. :(

VO3s1uEl.png

Are you playing in Mac or windows? Maybe try windows?

Sad... Maybe I'll wait until my new PC later this year. I've got the MacBook retina too, i7 2.3ghz, 8gb ram and 1gb gt 650m.

Thanks for being the guinea pig. Btw approx at what population does it start to chug?

Jellzy

Neo Member
The traffic IN THE GAME :p

edit:

Have the people who say straight roads don't work maybe turned off the "snapping" option in the lower left or something? Because you can make perfectly straight grids very easily. It's just that sometimes the terrain will screw up the zoneable area around them.

I though that you may have meant that... :/

Regardless it would be nice if the behaviour of vehicles on roundabouts took right of way into consideration.

I think peoples issue with 'gridding' is that it isn't possible to align roads with the edge of the tiles. Once you create a line you can then snap straight roads from it and along etc.

Pinktaco

I'm very sure I had no issues last night, but now I have MASSIVE screen tearing. Everytime I move around the city I get tears right across the entire screen. :(

...WAIT A MINUTE!

This isn't related to Cities XL? Never has a thread title ignited so much interest in a game I had completely written off. Now I understand why people have been hyped for it.

Looks great!

Look guys, Another one!! I love how the title is a PR fix lol.

OK so:

Bus routes feel complicated to me. What am I doing when adding a "stop"? Why am I creating one endless route? I keep having unfinished loops that I don't know how to finish. I wish I could actually create individual colour coded busses with individual routes.

Love the forest asset I saw a page or two back: I'm going to just create a beautiful, serene woodland with dirt paths by a beach area, make it a whole district for farming/timber, and then have a bustling city on the other side.

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO MAKE MY TIMBER INDUSTRY MORE PROFITABLE?

I set in a timber-rich area, but how profitable is a meter squared?

I had a land value of $5/m^2, and trucks would exit to the highway to export.... But there doesn't seem to be an export/import graph anywhere. I'm not sure about consistency/how large of an area that $5/m^2 covers.

Thanks

Correct. It helps for the higher educated citizens and also doesn't pollute. I think the drawback might be that it doesn't generate much money like the other industries.

Oh? So the default "Goods" industry nets you more profits? You need undereducated workers for that though.

Anyone else find it pretty easy to be profitable? I am constantly in the green and am not having any major issues with money. Therefore, I don't see the necessity to keep my industrial zones around, and just have office zones. But that feels unrealistic: some of the population ought to work in skilled industry.

Maybe I'm just not expanding fast enough..

BTW, thanks for telling me how to set up electricity yesterday lol. I was going crazy with that.

A mixed zone at least in high density areas would be really nice. Most large buildings around here have the first floor mostly as commercial, with offices or apartments on nearly every other floor.

You can do this, right? I'm sure I've seen some pics here where one tile has high residential in the back and commercial on the side of the tile attached to the road? Or is that not possible?

I've been very distinctly segregating my zones, but I'm thinking I should try mixing it up.

Reddit pics:

jFXlCy4.jpg

2015-03-10_00002.jpg

StayDead

Maybe I'm polluted by being from the UK but I don't understand why highways exist as the "main roads". I can get the point when they're off the ground, but surely at ground level a 6 lane one way road is better in nearly every single way than a 3 lane road? They've just recently in England been making one of our busiest motorways (the M25 looping around London) to be 6 lanes the whole way along.

Crispy75

Bus routes feel complicated to me. What am I doing when adding a "stop"? Why am I creating one endless route? I keep having unfinished loops that I don't know how to finish. I wish I could actually create individual colour coded busses with individual routes.

Stops are literally that - bus stops. You want to space them about every other block IME. When you plop one, the cloud of smiley faces indicates the range within which people will walk to that stop. (I wish there was better graphic feedback for this).

Multiple routes can have stops t the same location, but it can cause the buses to back up if too many try to call at once.

The route has to be a loop, so that buses can get to one end, turn around and come back. Most of the time, you want the "return" trip to come back along the opposite side of the same road to the "outbound" trip so that citizens can get the same bus to/from work/shops etc. I try and make my routes multi-purpose, so there's industrial, commercial and residential all on one route.

To change bus route colours/names, use the Transit information view (icons in top left)

Klyka

Banned
Maybe I'm polluted by being from the UK but I don't understand why highways exist as the "main roads". I can get the point when they're off the ground, but surely at ground level a 6 lane one way road is better in nearly every single way than a 3 lane road? They've just recently in England been making one of our busiest motorways (the M25 looping around London) to be 6 lanes the whole way along.

Well the highways have a top speed of 100 while the six lanes have a top speed of 60

Ainsz

Just to show off, my first city - was going well last night. Got to 10k pop. and a moment after I took the pics below my PC had some kind of fit and I lost my progress. Sobering lesson to save game every 1 second.

bandicam_2015_03_11_00_24_16_454.jpg

No matter in the end as today, I've got a new city under way, just under 20k at the moment. Going for a northern English town kind of layout. four lane bypasses go a long way in streamlining your traffic without the need for highways.

bandicam_2015_03_11_16_18_26_090.jpg

bandicam_2015_03_11_16_17_33_182.jpg

Are you playing in Mac or windows? Maybe try windows?

Sad... Maybe I'll wait until my new PC later this year. I've got the MacBook retina too, i7 2.3ghz, 8gb ram and 1gb gt 650m.

Thanks for being the guinea pig. Btw approx at what population does it start to chug?
Noticeably at around 25k.
That's when I folded and set everything to minimum.
Now it runs semi fluid again.
However the low textures really hurt. :(
What resolution are you playing at?
4R8vQYDl.png

InertiaXr

Stops are literally that - bus stops. You want to space them about every other block IME. When you plop one, the cloud of smiley faces indicates the range within which people will walk to that stop. (I wish there was better graphic feedback for this).

Multiple routes can have stops t the same location, but it can cause the buses to back up if too many try to call at once.

The route has to be a loop, so that buses can get to one end, turn around and come back. Most of the time, you want the "return" trip to come back along the opposite side of the same road to the "outbound" trip so that citizens can get the same bus to/from work/shops etc. I try and make my routes multi-purpose, so there's industrial, commercial and residential all on one route.

To change bus route colours/names, use the Transit information view (icons in top left)

Would there be any big loss in efficiency if you had individual lines cover different 'districts' with a road overlap between each line, so people could hop bus line to bus line to get where they want to go? Right now I have about 8-10 lines criss-crossing all over my entire city and even with them all different colors its still basically impossible to make sense of them all. You'd think the bus line UI would be no problem considering their last game was Cities in Motion, lol.

Thanks-- does the route have to close back on itself from the first placed stop, or the bus station?

Kabouter mentioned in an earlier post that he had no issues getting educated workers employed in lower positions.

But my point is, is there a big reason you'd want to do this?

Why not make everything office? I'm guessing eventually, new populations/cities need dedicated schools, universities, and highschools, but even so, it seems you will eventually replace them with offices.

I guess I'm sort of bothered that offices are considered the advanced zone. I would have liked it to be somewhat necessary to rely on farms and generic industry, as they seem like important components to any city.

I would have particularly found it cool if commercial zones reduced in cost if you had your own farms, with the idea being that self sustained farming in your own city could be divided between exports and feeding your own city.

To give you an example: I made a timber industry with lower educated residents, who eventually became smarter. Then some parts of my timber industry had overeducated workers. Does this result in these people quitting jobs for office zones?

Or should I improve building levels for my timber industry, and keep my residents dumbed down to ensure that they work at the timber industry?

Klyka

Banned
Would there be any big loss in efficiency if you had individual lines cover different 'districts' with a road overlap between each line, so people could hop bus line to bus line to get where they want to go? Right now I have about 8-10 lines criss-crossing all over my entire city and even with them all different colors its still basically impossible to make sense of them all. You'd think the bus line UI would be no problem considering their last game was Cities in Motion, lol.

I use the multiple bus stop thing to allow them to hop and they definitely do. Citizens have no problem with jumping between different modes of transportation at all.

spiritfox

I don't mind unlocking monuments but some of the requirements are stupid. Shouldn't they reward you for playing well instead of forcing you to play poorly?

Klyka

Banned
I don't mind unlocking monuments but some of the requirements are stupid. Shouldn't they reward you for playing well instead of forcing you to play poorly?

remember that the unique buildings only need to be unlocked once across all playthroughs. once you unlocked a monument in any of your saves you then never have to do that requirement again,you just need to reach the milestone for it's level.

The Llama

They really do need to get a whole new building set of skyscrapers in. Pretty sure the tallest buildings in the game right now are only like 30-35 stories. Need some 50+ story towers!

Noticeably at around 25k.
That's when I folded and set everything to minimum.
Now it runs ok again.

4R8vQYDl.png

Try 1440x900 (if that's an option). It'll be half-res on your retina screen, which means it might actually look slightly clearer, and also run a fair bit better. That GT 650m just isn't that powerful of a card.

gooface

Banned
I ran my first 3 towns into the ground within 15 mins... I really need to get better at this/ figure out what I am doing.. Still sort of confused how power lines work.

Crispy75

I ran my first 3 towns into the ground within 15 mins... I really need to get better at this/ figure out what I am doing.. Still sort of confused how power lines work.

All buildings (ploppable and zoned) have a zone around them which can accept or emit electricity. Buildings on either side of a road have overlapping zones, so the power flows between them. To make power span a long distance, power lines have to start, end or pass through those zones.

Mik2121

Uhm... my Hydro Power Plant (the dam) doesn't seem to be working. Wonder what am I missing. I placed it in a spot that says would give me 48mw or something like that but it says now "Not operating" with the Power Output to 0 MW... :(

Edit: Ah fuck, I just noticed all the water is just going through another side. Does this mean I also have to cut that other side with another dam?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
remember that the unique buildings only need to be unlocked once across all playthroughs. once you unlocked a monument in any of your saves you then never have to do that requirement again,you just need to reach the milestone for it's level.

Oh, really? That's fucking awesome then, I can just make new cities which are destined for failure just to monument hunt. I like that a lot.

I've been browsing the workshop over lunch while here at work, and man there are 1831 mods online already!!!! Some of these are damn nice too. I'm going to have to play around with the workshop a bit tonight. Man, this game is going to have legs, long loonnggg legs.....

Klyka

Banned
Oh, really? That's fucking awesome then, I can just make new cities which are destined for failure just to monument hunt. I like that a lot.

I've been browsing the workshop over lunch while here at work, and man there are 1831 mods online already!!!! Some of these are damn nice too. I'm going to have to play around with the workshop a bit tonight. Man, this game is going to have legs, long loonnggg legs.....

If you read the tooltips the game gives you, you would know what I told you ;)

Uhm... my Hydro Power Plant (the dam) doesn't seem to be working. Wonder what am I missing. I placed it in a spot that says would give me 48mw or something like that but it says now "Not operating" with the Power Output to 0 MW... :(

Edit: Ah fuck, I just noticed all the water is just going through another side. Does this mean I also have to cut that other side with another dam?

Yes. Build ALL the dams!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
If you read the tooltips the game gives you, you would know what I told you ;)

Man, I spent so much time reading tooltips and chirps last night that at some point I had to stop and actually play a bit instead! :)

t-ramp

I think my population is at about 6,000 now. I wasn't necessarily planning on using a grid layout entirely as I have been, but it seems to be working okay for now. It'll be interesting to see if it all falls apart when I start using higher density zones.

My town is also entirely wind-powered currently.

Also, when do people start dying? I'm pretty sure my cemetery is still empty.

Klyka

Banned
I think my population is at about 6,000 now. I wasn't necessarily planning on using a grid layout entirely as I have been, but it seems to be working okay for now. It'll be interesting to see if it all falls apart when I start using higher density zones.

If you click the population info, it'll show you the different age groups in your houses. When you have a lot that say "mostly seniors" than there will soon be deaths incoming.

A lot of people always wonder why after some time (a few ingame years) your population suddenly takes a dive. It's cause all your seniors who have been living in the city die :D

t-ramp

If you click the population info, it'll show you the different age groups in your houses. When you have a lot that say "mostly seniors" than there will soon be deaths incoming.

A lot of people always wonder why after some time (a few ingame years) your population suddenly takes a dive. It's cause all your seniors who have been living in the city die :D
Oh, that makes sense. I guess I didn't notice the population chart when clicking through the info views, and sort of assumed I already had some elderly citizens. Thanks.

Jisgsaw

Well, after playing 10 hours since yesterday without problems, now the game crashes every 20 minutes or so...
Well, it doesn't actually crashes the screen just freezes, I can still hear the music and the sounds of selecting tools/starting menues...

Lowering graphical settings doesn't seem to work, and both my towns are still quite small (ca. 5k), I'm a bit at a loss...

I'll wait for my CPU and GPU to cool down and try again, but it sucks. Strange I could play 4+ hours without problems this morning though.

Once I got over my initial annoyances of the UI of this game I started to really love it. Building one way roads is still not as easy as I would like. I wish you could simply build a road and then specify the direction on them instead of having to drag the mouse in the direction you want traffic to flow. My city is still tiny, only 3000 people. Still having a great time and I can't wait to go home and play some more.

StayDead

I had a really cool idea for my third attempt at a city and got building this as a base.

It was great! but I ran out of money before I could add pipes to the sewage and in trying to fix it I went to -20k. Woops!

Klyka

Banned
It should be pretty easy to make challange maps for this,r gith? like,scenarios? seeing how we have a map editor and you can just get savegames/maps from the workshop?

Jisgsaw

I had a really cool idea for my third attempt at a city and got building this as a base.

It was great! but I ran out of money before I could add pipes to the sewage and in trying to fix it I went to -20k. Woops!

That happened to me too lol.
Man I want to continue playing, damn my old PC.

Hmm... I was wondering if an upcoming patch will allow emergency vehicles to cheat when it comes to getting to places... Sometimes the vehicles end up bunching up even if there are open lanes.

Nokterian

Also you have your shit pump first and water pomp as second..your citizens are drinking shit instead of fresh water you need to turn that around. That's why there getting sick and die.

Also you have your shit pump first and water pomp as second..your citizens are drinking shit instead of fresh water you need to turn that around. That's why there getting sick and die.

Speaking of these pumps, it'd be nice if the water flow directions were made a little bit more contrast-y. I can see the arrows just fine, but I think they're probably subject to confusion at high zooms. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom