• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do I set up train lines?
I've figured out bus lines, but train lines?
I've built a nice railway system with a translation but cannot seem to build stops and routes. What is the trick?

Also why are there so many dead bodies waiting to be picked up, I have loads of crematoriums.

why is everyone so behind technologically?

How do I set up train lines?
I've figured out bus lines, but train lines?
I've built a nice railway system with a translation but cannot seem to build stops and routes. What is the trick?

Also why are there so many dead bodies waiting to be picked up, I have loads of crematoriums.
fire and hospitals had something to do with it iirc, try to get to higher density, i found that helped

i figured out railway with trial and error, but i have no idea how bus stops "end", as they won't start

BearPawB

Banned
Was spending time focusing on building up a new area.
Didn't realize my dam filled with poop and was killing my citizens.

Had to start over.

Wish this had an auto save

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I found a 1x1 park on steam. I was surprised there aren't any standard 1x1 parks. I loved placing those all over the place in SimCity. Going to try it out tonight.

I still find it very frustrating. My beefs:

- All the lines are blue which makes it tough to distinguish each line if they overlap
- Cannot delete a line once it's made (unless I'm missing something)
- If you bulldoze a road the bus line will change without prompting you
- Cannot get data on each bus line so hard to optimize

You are missing something. Go to the public transit view. You can select individual bus/metro lines, view details, change colours, delete, etc.

Shahadan

- All the lines are blue which makes it tough to distinguish each line if they overlap

Haven't tried with buses yet, but for train lines I just had to click on a train and I could change the color of the line/train and delete it.

I'd like a list a something to manage them more efficiently though

Crispy75

Go to the Transit view from the icons in the top left. You can select, delete, rename and recolour each route. The buses themselves change colour to match, which is neat.

RSTEIN

Ah, ok, thanks guys. I had a hard time believing it could be that frustrating, glad it was just user error :p

Ah, ok, thanks guys. I had a hard time believing it could be that frustrating, glad it was just user error :p

It's still pretty lacking. My city desperately needed higher priority lines. I've had to jack up the budget on public transit to get enough busses on my trunk lines and they're still very full. Meanwhile my side routes are at 1/4 capacity. Really frustrating.

I'm actually thinking about salting the earth and trying my city again from scratch. The transit options are just so limiting that I think I need to redo my design. All routes need to have the same number of passengers in this system or it just falls apart.

Crispy75

It's still pretty lacking. My city desperately needed higher priority lines. I've had to jack up the budget on public transit to get enough busses on my trunk lines and they're still very full. Meanwhile my side routes are at 1/4 capacity. Really frustrating.

Make duplicate trunk lines?

Effect

For the first time in a long time I can't wait to get home to play a PC game. I have that with console games (mainly Nintendo games) but never with a PC game in many years.

I'm slowly getting a picture of how I want my city to look. I keep wanting the residential districts to all have curved roads. Something about that is just really appealing for some reason.

Not that far even on my first area (mainly got up to unlocking the Tiny Town milestone) but can we forced different technology/business sectors via the polices and districting? For example can I force an area to focus on banking/finance and other on technology (specific technologies) and another on science and buildings would reflect that? Or can you not get that detailed and things will be more broad?

Something that might be added in the future or could be modded? Something devs have said?

Most of my complaints about the game are UI related.

The Bus lines for example, it's really hard to pick out each individual line, this could easily be solved by having a list of each line with it's name and color.

In general the game requires too much keyboard use IMO.

I'm not crazy about the white info views when you're trying to place things like parks, services etc. I'd like to actually see the area where I'm placing these things.

How roads connect to each other is a lot of trial & error.

Finally, some things seem really out of balance. Crime is almost nonexistent while deathcare is ridiculous.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Chris Livingston
‏@screencuisine
There's already 1,600 player-made items in the Steam workshop for Skylines. Intersections, swimming pools, stores and homes, autosave mods.

https://twitter.com/screencuisine/status/575664450159517696

Holy Hell, is it possible for a game to have TOO many mods available? Might make it hard to find things, lol.

I'm not even going to mess around with mods until I get a satisfactory city or two under my wings.

Chris Livingston
‏@screencuisine
There's already 1,600 player-made items in the Steam workshop for Skylines. Intersections, swimming pools, stores and homes, autosave mods.

https://twitter.com/screencuisine/status/575664450159517696

Is there a way to browse steam workshop in a normal browser? I can't find one on Steam (the steam UI has been such a mess lately). I'm at work but I'd like to take a few minutes to add some new mods.

d1rtn4p

Stayed up way too late playing this last night and now I'm dead at work. It's great, but day/night cycle is sorely missing to me.

Grief.exe

I found micromanaging the power budget to be a good way to bridge the gap between power supplies early game.

When I started hitting the yellow, I would just tweak up 10% or more until I rewched my next milestone and subsequent influx of money. Then lower the budget to compensate for the increased power, while allowing for growth.

Stayed up way too late playing this last night and now I'm dead at work. It's great, but day/night cycle is sorely missing to me.

Strobe Light Simulator 2015

spiritfox

I'm actually thinking about salting the earth and trying my city again from scratch. The transit options are just so limiting that I think I need to redo my design. All routes need to have the same number of passengers in this system or it just falls apart.

If it's like CiM, you should use metro for your trunk and bus for your feeder. While it would be nice to have different capacities, metro is much better at that role.

Is there a way to browse steam workshop in a normal browser? I can't find one on Steam (the steam UI has been such a mess lately). I'm at work but I'd like to take a few minutes to add some new mods.

Yes. http://steamcommunity.com/app/255710/workshop/

If it's like CiM, you should use metro for your trunk and bus for your feeder. While it would be nice to have different capacities, metro is much better at that role.

I built a metro, two of them actually, but I'd rather have surface rail (except in extremely built up areas) since it should be significantly cheaper and with good planning should integrate well. I burnt through 200k of savings to do that because for some reason metro opens up before rail.

Edit: and thanks for the links

Edit2: The other thing I wanted to point out was that I was still <10k people -- there's no reason a city that size or even 10x that size in the real world should need metros over bus. :(

Sober

I found a 1x1 park on steam. I was surprised there aren't any standard 1x1 parks. I loved placing those all over the place in SimCity. Going to try it out tonight.
The thing that sucks about it right now is that parks are road-bound. I'd love to see puzzle piece sets come back or mixing it with the existing pedestrian paths to draw parks.

Corgi

Banned
is it just me or does the game look blurry in general? Not just aliasing but UI as well.

1440p fullscreen windows everything maxed with tilt shift turned to 0.

RSTEIN

The thing that sucks about it right now is that parks are road-bound. I'd love to see puzzle piece sets come back or mixing it with the existing pedestrian paths to draw parks.

Yeah, I have walkways going throughout my city and would really like to place some parks along them. Right now I'm just putting lots of trees down.

StayDead

Right click on the line to delete it and pretty much everything else is done by clicking on a bus.

With my larger city, it runs like ass.
I've set everything to low and turned off all the bells and whistles to be able to play. :(

VO3s1uEl.png

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
So I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but I've increased my city by about 20k (30k->50k_ and I've had no demand for commercial building whatsoever. its been dead nothing for ages, and any zoning I do for it goes unbuilt
Kinda killing my vibe for the game, because the last three areas I've built have just been offices and residential

Strider

It's time to start a second city and give up on my first I think. Not really thrilled with where it's going and I overeducated my population early on. But I learned a good bit so my next city should go much better.

I didn't see where to change my city type when starting my first one though. Where is the setting for tropical, sunny, northern? I didn't find it, I'm sure I just overlooked it. I'm thinking sunny style for my next one.

fedexpeon

Banned
Welp, I give up.
I can't raise my population above 65k.
I literally filled my city with botanical gardens to increase wealth/land value, and that didn't increase any residential demands.
I am stuck with endless money, and a stagnate population growth.

Psykoboy2

Mmm hmm. Hopefully via a patch. Right now, apparently one single coal power plant isn't even enough to power a whole 2x2km city grid...the starting size, even at 100% low density. It took me about three to four of them.

Are you zoning them as a coal specific industry? And I assume they are sitting on top of ore-rich land?

I say this because I plopped an oil power plant over oil-rich land and then just connected it with a road and thought I was done. Then I found out I had to zone it for oil industry before it would work.

With my larger city, it runs like ass.
I've set everything to low and turned off all the bells and whistles to be able to play. :(

VO3s1uEl.png

Try installing windows and see if the performance is better?

Im running on a i5 2500k (OC'ed to 5ghz) and a 770. My city is only around 20k pop but running perfectly fine so far

StayDead

So I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but I've increased my city by about 20k (30k->50k_ and I've had no demand for commercial building whatsoever. its been dead nothing for ages, and any zoning I do for it goes unbuilt
Kinda killing my vibe for the game, because the last three areas I've built have just been offices and residential

Am I imagining things or does offices not count for commercial too? I mean they're both blue atleast.

I got to a 22k city and severely messed up the traffic so back to the start I go I think!

Klyka

Banned
Are you zoning them as a coal specific industry? And I assume they are sitting on top of ore-rich land?

I say this because I plopped an oil power plant over oil-rich land and then just connected it with a road and thought I was done. Then I found out I had to zone it for oil industry before it would work.

You don't actually have to zone them or anything,they just need to be connected so traffic from other "cities" outside the play area can send them oil/coal etc...
If you have your own coal and oil it just gives your industry something to export and has shorter ways to your plant.

I had a coal powerplant right next to farms and then next to forest area and it properly produced it's 40MW at all times.

samn

I'm really not sure how I should be constructing my bus lines. How many stops can serve an area? Do I want few lines that are very long, or many lines that are simple and short? Will passengers move between them?

Am I imagining things or does offices not count for commercial too? I mean they're both blue atleast.

I got to a 22k city and severely messed up the traffic so back to the start I go I think!

A mixed zone at least in high density areas would be really nice. Most large buildings around here have the first floor mostly as commercial, with offices or apartments on nearly every other floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom